Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Exalted Campaign 3: Shun Teaser
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:38 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:36 am » Ok. First I'ma gonna post the Shun sidestory thingy
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:36 am » [wavewavewave]
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 am » Jane?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 am » *nods* Glad you liked it!
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:33 am » Shun: That kid is in for the most intense how to read lessons ever when he shows up for them.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:31 am » it's interesting. Someone is feeding Shun the info he wants with no explanation. He's wary of that and possible misinformation. But all in all, not the worst day.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 am » Ok. And that's about it. What do you think?
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 am » Shun: ... Great more shadowy people and their games. *gathers up his books* one of these days I'd like a straightforward "Hey, I want you to do something for me, here's something shiney for you to intice your curiosity". *heads back towards home, grumbling to himself* if that kid pops up at home out of the blue, I'm teaching him to read the same way dad did. Made of water or not, waking up at 5am to read texts ought to wipe that smug smirk off his face.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 am » Ok. There's a few spirits around the area, all dematerialized. A god that looks like a rat sitting in some filth in one corner of the alley, a small creature that looks to be shaped a bit reminiscent of a cloud that's floating up above the alley a bit, and what is clearly a god of Flys resting on a wall of the alley, difficult to see but otherwise present
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 am » right, doing so real quick then
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 am » He can!
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 am » however that is a good thing to check. can shun use that charm and look around for any other lurking gods?
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 am » he does. doesn't help much with seeing through walls though
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am » (Commentary: Does Shun know All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight?)
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am » .
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:19 am » The kid crouches down, as Shun sees something a bit unusual. Water seems to be swirling around his legs, as he moves with a certain fluidity in his body, as he pushes up, propelling his body up towards one of the walls. He pushes off a wall, leaving a wet stain against the wall, as he bounces off of it and careens towards a roof, landing with a bit of a Parkour flair.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 am » The kid gives a coy smile. "A boy who can't read. Never really learned how, and that's the truth. But I think you really need to take off before any more monks come looking for you, Mr. Grumpy!
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 am » Shun: *smiles and looks over the edge of the book at the kid* True coincidences are a very rare thing kid. So I have a question, who are you really?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 am » Shun is FAIRLY sure this wasn't one of the books he was carrying out with him from the librar.y
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:10 am » And although the discovery of the region of barren, decaying essence intrigued many of the Survey Team that discovered it, my mate, Mijung Gray-Streak, of the Twilight discipline, was horrified by the abundance of this odd necrotic essence and the attraction that the spirits of the unsent dead had to it. I am growing concerned since that day. She has retreated to her Manse in the northern forests of our territory, researching obsessively into the phenemon in an attempt to reverse its effects while her kin experiment with this strange new discipline, which they have taken to calling "Necromancy"...
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:06 am » .
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:06 am » Ok. The paragraph reads...
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:04 am » Shun: Don't tell anyone. *makes a shushing motion* It'll ruin my reputation. *examines the paragraph* oh? and how does someone who can't read know that?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:03 am » The kid pulls the books back in front of him and ruffles through them, bending a few pages and scribbling around on different pages. He seems to be rifling through them in a rather haphazard manner, not really paying much attention to what's on them, sticking his tongue out as he thinks for a little while and then holds them up to Shun with one book open, pointing at a paragraph. "Look at this part first! I think it's important!"
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 am » Kid: *Smile that's missing a few teeth* You're a nice man, Mr. Grumpy.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 am » Shun: It's fine kid. Stolen books are only the second worst thing to happen today, and even then by a long shot. Now, give me my books back and maybe we can discuss teaching you how to read hmmm?
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 am » (Commentary: This smells!)
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:59 am » Kid: N-no... Um... he folds his arms behind his back, the books still grasped firmly in them. "I'm sorry..."
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 am » Shun: ... and your first idea was to steal books you can't read. *laughs* And yes, they are somewhat important, if only for their complexity. Did you try asking anyone to teach you how to read before hatching the brilliant plan of stealing highly technical manuals on magitech?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am » Kid: I guess they're kind of important, though... um, right?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 am » Kid: Um... I really kind of wanted to learn how to, um, read...
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 am » Shun: Just a warning, I will be very annoyed if you try scrambling into a hidey hole or up the wall. Now, why'd you steal my books? *walking calmly into the alleyway, keeping his ears open in case it's a trap*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 am » His eyes widen as Shun manages to turn into the alleyway
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 am » Ok, Shun manages to navigate the crowds pretty well, as the kid turns and ducks into an alleyway. There's a wall at the other end, however
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 am » 2 successes
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:49 am » Ok. Make a Wits + Dexterity check to keep up with the kid.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 am » Shun: ...great. The one discerning pickpocket that wants books instead of money and jewels. *grumbles to himself and takes off after the kid*
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 am » Ooooh.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am » The books Shun dropped go flying out of his hands, scattering on the ground nearby. "Oh sorry! Um, looked like you dropped this!" The young boy snatches up a few of the books and then turns. "Later!" He takes off running
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am » Oooh.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 am » Shun: oof! *steps back, carefully making sure the books don't go spilling everywhere* oi kid, watch where you're going. And if you're a pick-pocket you really need to pick better targets, not a jade on me. *rubs stomach*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 am » Ok. And yes, there are people living here. He doesn't see it coming, then. A young blue-haired kid about half Shun's height and probably at least 8 pounds underweight is running, and slams into Shun with more force than any young pre-teen ought to be able to muster.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:42 am » only 1 success
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 am » they live in this city? and rolling
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 am » As he does, roll a Perception + Awareness.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 am » Alright. Smart plan. Ok. So by a circuitous route, he's going to end up passing through the crowds again at some point
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 am » After the damage I remember him taking in that fight? he'd be heading home. probably by a circuitous route to make sure no one else is following him home.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 am » Alright. After a while, Shun manages to lose his pursuers in the crowds of the city. What's he gonna do now?
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 am » Shun: Don't build libraries like they used to huh folks? *forced calm smile and let's not forget the running*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 am » This is a bit easier for a single person to do than the monks following him, who have more trouble navigating the crowds while keeping any sort of formation
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 am » Ok. Given the confusion, and the fact that the library is in a state of chaos and disarray, I'll let you have that one. Shun jumps out a glassless window and vaults down a street, leaving people watching curiously in his wake
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 am » 3 successes http://umbralechoes.com/ExaltedRoller.php
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 am » righto
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 am » No penalty for that, though
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 am » Anyways, what Shun needs to do is make a Stamina + Resistance check to duck the Immaculate monks
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:31 am » Shun: Are you really expecting that to work?! *letting out a slightly pained laugh as he balances books under one arm, holds his robes against his wounds and RUNS*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 am » Peleps: GET BACK HERE!
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 am » correct. I don't recall what the books were on, but going by his improvements over the years, probably books on magitech crafting
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 am » As I recall, you said Shun was grabbing a few books he was reading and beating feet out of there, right?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:25 am » The stage is set. Just after the previously non-canonical fight between Shun and Peleps Deled. Desus has created a distraction by tunnelling under a load bearing wall and has basically given his Daddy a chance to escape the library that he was in when that moment of unpleasentness started.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am » ShunOOC: more like he crossed his claws with my stomach.
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am » .
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am » Alright. Well, Shun and Deled have crossed swords, metaphorically, before. In fact, that's actually a good place to start.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:21 am » that he has, when he has free time he does like to look into Thorns and local military/diplomatic events near/involving thorns. and well, if there's anything added to that, it'd probably be Shun's interest in peleps deled. The guy's in charge of the wyld hunt(or at least the branch in the scavenger lands) so he's the one in charge of hunting Shun's wife, and they've fought before. Shun knows Deled is a much better straight up fighter than himself, so it's time to expand his knowledge on the foe for future uses.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:19 am » Is there anything Shun would like to add to that?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:19 am » Yes, it is, mostly so I can finally quantify Desus a bit more and thus plan for it. You neednt' do it now, just think about it and get back to meNow then. Onto the PLOT... first as a recap: Shun has been looking into ways to deal with the Thorns situation during the past ten years, correct?
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am » Uh, nvm.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am » right. that's the first part then?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:18 am » I suppose if Mei or Baoshi get a good salary they could probably be funnelling Dusk and Shun yellow jade. But that's a bit of a stretch unless the player of one of those two Sidereals deliberately decides to devote their paycheck to it
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 am » Only with a good excuse/reason that Shun and Dusk would have access to a resource that even Yu Shan has trouble keeping in supply wihtout using ambrosia
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:16 am » Can we do yellow Jade?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:16 am » We've been dancing around the subject, but ultimately, I need to know what Shun and/or Dusk are going to feed Desus for his third stage form. This is just food for thought, but before the start of the sequel campaign I need to know the percentage breakdown of jade types you're feeding Desus. This will affect how his third stage form will appear and what powers it gives him
Jane Narbon « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:16 am » Hi!
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:14 am » Ok. Shun's is a two-fer, in a sense. The first bit is easier, so I'll start with that.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 am » One sec. Let me announce it to anyone around in chat
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:12 am » ok, ready whenever you are
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:11 am » Ok
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 am » sure. one moment while I grab his sheet
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:08 am » Hm... would you like to do Shun's thing while we're waiting on Jane?
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:07 am » Shun: That's life kiddo.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 am » Desus: *Doesn't think it's fair that things that are smaller than him are allowed to attack him and he's not allowed to attack back because he'd hurt them, but would rather not hurt Auntie Zoe so he's not sure how to handle her when she chases him with claws*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:55 am » Desus: Aw....
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 am » Shun: The greatest arcane craftsmen of the first age couldn't build something to stop you Auntie Zoe chasing people she doesn't like with claws.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:52 am » Desus: Can you build me something to keep Auntie Zoe from chasing me away with claws?
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 am » Shun: ah, I see. I'm sure I can build something for you.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:47 am » Desus: *Mopey* Dawn reads to me a lot, though. In return for rides! And mom says I'm not allowed to throw things anymore after I knocked over a tree with that boulder.
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 am » Desus: My talons are too big to turn the pages and my mouth's too big to nip at them without tearing them. I tried three of Auntie Zoe's books before she chased me away.
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 am » Shun:*peeks an eye open* why's that?
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 am » Desus: Aw, since I got big, I can't read books...
Demothesis « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 am » Shun:*napping on the roof of the wagon*
Professor Zobot « Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:35 am » Desus: Kwar.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun