Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Exalted Chat Logs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:40 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

(The Canonicality of these events is disputable! But they're fun to read! Post Exalted things here that happen whenever we're not actually playing, or when people have discussions in character they'd want others to read)

Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:32 am » ((It is indeed 1 in the morning, and I was already dozing when we started. Friends in different time zones tend to do that.))
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:30 am » (I can continue the story later if you want. I just know that you tend to go to bed early, Dr. Beard... didn't want to keep you up)
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:29 am » Hue: *chuckes* I look forward to it. Sleep well, Sai.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 am » Sai: When we're drinking. Preferably. So you won't remember it afterwards. Hopefully
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 am » Sai: I'll tell you later, if thou wish.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 am » Hue: *tact!*
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 am » Hue: ...Yes, I am, now that you mention it.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 am » Sai: Ah... er... um... well, ah... Master Hue, mayhaps that's a story for another time. Art you not tired?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 am » Hue: So what did he do?
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:25 am » Sai: Ah, for the days of novel barracks alchemy...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 am » Sai: But Jan wasn't going to be daunted. He came up with an even MORE cunning scheme.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:23 am » Hue: *snerk!*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:23 am » Sai: And, ah, snoring when the drug made my nose stuff up.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:23 am » Sai: And keeping most of the other men in his barracks awake that night with loud bawdy soldering songs.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:22 am » Sai: Despite stumbling and falling flat on his face. Twice.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:22 am » Sai: To that day, I believe the trainers still don't understand how a mere mortal was able to lap the Windwaker brothers in the Fire Camp's jogging ring.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 am » Hue: *laughs*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 am » Sai: So instead of making me look ridiculous and shame me, it made me even WORSE.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 am » Hue: More the opposite effect?
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:21 am » Sai: It was... ah, one got FIRED UP and disoriented up after having it. And very dumb ideas start to seem like very smart ones.
Sarah McLaren « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:20 am » ( >: D)
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:20 am » Sai: Their first attempt, ah, didn't quite work. They didn't put enough in my food. But it was enough for their intention to backfire. It wasn't like wine or mead, where one grows tired and disoriented when they've had it...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:19 am » Sai: I later learned it has a very distinctive taste, and were I to sup on it now, I wouldst be able to recognize it. But, as a young man of the Isle, where such a plant does not grow... I just thought it was part of the food.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:19 am » Hue: ...Somehow I feel I should have seen this coming.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 am » Sai: Near the coast, around where our training camp was, there grew a variety of river kelp, native to the yellow river. Men and woman around the area are warned not to eat it, because it can do strange things to one's mind, and make one behave quite foolishly. Jan and his ring decided to gather some during a swimming drill, powder it... and then slip it into my meal, one day.
Sarah McLaren « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 am » (Heheheheheheeeeee...)
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:16 am » Sai: They probably considered many things... paying a woman to lay with me and having the command catch me, or sneaking contraband into my bed and having our Sargent "Discover" it, but... one of them, a man known as Jan of the Arbon family, merchants local to the Scavenger Lands, had a bit of what he believed to be a better idea...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:11 am » Hue: Ohhh dear. I think I know the type...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:10 am » (brb)
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am » Sai: Finding new and exciting ways of getting each other in trouble, for example...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 am » Sai: See, a military company is filled with young men and young women of a certain... style of thought. We're not scholars, Master Hue, but we're... creative in certain veins of thought.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:08 am » Hue: ...Remind me to introduce you to Peri's sensei later. Continue.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:08 am » Sai: But I came as close as any young man could, I think. Although perhaps that's ego as well. Regardless... there was a time, when some of my fellows got it in their heads to teach me a lesson.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:07 am » Sai: No, it was true. A mortal can't beat a Dragon in soldiering. *Not even stopping to question it*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 am » Sai: *Taking a drink* Ah, mayhap I ought to mention that I wasn't quite as... popular with the other mortals as mayhap I should have been. They had to work harder because of me. And a bit of me loved it.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 am » Hue: *huff* Egos. Nasty things. And I don't mean yours.
Jane Narbon « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:05 am » [back!]
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:05 am » Sai: That... well, training in Her Majesty's Army means being taught Immaculate Values, and my behavior annoyed a lot of people... I recall Sargent Rokku screaming obsanities in my face until his mouth was blue, telling me how I'd never be able to compete with the Dragon Blooded, how I should fall into line... hammering on my spirit and trying to get me to fit in... and making me and the other men do more training to try and wear me out.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:03 am » Sai: I loved the drills. I could jog faster than most of the other mortals, years of farming had left me spry and yet strong... I had talent with a spear, as well. I could almost keep up with most of the Dragons, and I liked trying to.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 am » Hue: So naturally, you were a perfect fit, right? *smirk*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:00 am » Sai: I was... well, if you can imagine it, rather... ah, well, I was young. And reckless. And haughty. As young men are, if they are used to being better than their fellows
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 am » Sai: ...that came easier for some of us than others, I think.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:58 am » Sai: We all train as one team, one Fang. No one gets out of training, and everyone does the same sorts. They break your spirits, and any rough edges are hammered out of you so you can all be rebuilt as part of the same, larger war machine.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:58 am » Hue: *nods and listens attentively*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 am » Sai: Well... Hm... some of them are not fit for public speech, but... mayhap I could tell you the one about when I first joined the military... new recruits were shipped out of the Isle to the Scavenger Lands to a training camp, mortals and Dragon Blooded alike.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 am » Hue: I would. *smiles*
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:54 am » Sai: ...would you like to?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:50 am » Hue: I'll have to hear some of your stories then, some time.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:46 am » Sai: Tis not as if I don't have stories that sound worse in hearing than they were in living. My army days were... fun
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:45 am » Sai: ...that's very profound, Hue.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 am » Hue: Perhaps I'm making it sound worse than it was. Anyway, I'd much rather laugh at these sorts of things than cry abou them.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:42 am » Sai: Just... kinda concerning. Mayhaps the best way of putting it is that... well, it's the story you'd like to hear about, not live through
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:41 am » Sai: It's not that it wasn't funny... it is.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:40 am » Hue: It's a little disconcerting, talking about something you think was a bit outrageous but hardly so terrible, and having all your friends act like- like you told them you were the littlest sad slave boy or something.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 am » Hue: I'm fine. I just... *sigh* I know I didn't have a charmed childhood exactly, but between you and Ti and Peri with the tea and cake I just-
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:37 am » Sai: ...Hue... are you ok?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 am » Hue: ... ... ...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 am » Hue: ...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 am » Sai: ...perhaps a little, but still... ah, I hope that wasn't... uh, typical?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 am » Hue: In its own terrible way?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:35 am » Hue: No, it was not the ideal maternal response, but... but I think it was funny anyway? In retrospect?
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:33 am » Sai: Well, I mean... parents DO yell at times, yes, but...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 am » Sai: Your mother yelled at you!
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:30 am » Hue: I was fine! They gave me sweets!
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:29 am » Sai: God's blood, Master Hue! That's... no child ought to deal with that...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 am » Hue: ...I take it you weren't entertained.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:27 am » Hue: Er... no. not really. I mean, the guards told me I should go to the temple if I ever needed someplace to go away from home, which is how I wound up spending a large chunk of my childhood learning all the dragon-blooded propaganda they could teach me by heart, but...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am » Hue: She actually nailed the window shut after that.
Sarah McLaren « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am » (Hehehehehe)
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am » Sai: Is there more to this story?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 am » Hue: ...Not... that... often?
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:24 am » Sai: D...did you break windows often?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 am » Hue: Well... it was early in the morning, so she had a reason to be upset...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:22 am » Sai: Was... was your mother always like that?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 am » Hue: *shrug* Turned out well in the end. Mumma wouldn't take no for an answer so they finally "arrested" me, took me down to the barracks, and set me in a corner with some sweet dumplings and a couple toy soldiers. I acted out dramatic swordfights with the soldiers till morning, slept a bit, and was dropped off back home late that afternoon.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 am » Sai: I've... Gods, that's somewhat terrifying.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 am » Hue: My parents should not be considered typical of city dwellers.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 am » Hue: ...No. Not... generally.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 am » Sai: That's... how people in the city raise their children?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 am » Hue: Yes. Yes she did.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 am » Sai: She actually said that?
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 am » Hue: *laughing* She *explodes* about the landlord and the window, absolutely LIVID - I-I honestly thought she was going to hit somebody- and they just put me down and back away like they've got a feral animal cornered- *laughing so hard he can hardly talk* and the poor guard spent maybe ten minutes trying to explain I couldn't be arrested for climbing in my own window.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 am » Hue: And then the one that's got me at this point slooooowly repeats her words back to her, just to confirm that she actually said them.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:16 am » Hue: There is a dead silence for a moment
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:16 am » Hue: And they loooook at her...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:16 am » Hue: *grinning and suppressing a chuckle* The guards looook at each other...
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 am » Sai: *Making some choaking noises*
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 am » Hue: *doing an impression* "Well of course I'm his mumma, but tha's the third time this month 'e's broken th' window an e' oughta be taught a lesson!"
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 am » Hue: and she says-
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 am » Hue: The boy that pulled me out had disappeared by then, and lucky for him, because just then they're asking my Mumma if she wants them to take me off now and I start shouting I'll be good if she doesn't let 'em, and one of them shakes me a bit saying knock off it, that lady says she isn't your mumma so obviously she isn't
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 am » Hue: Mumma's come out around the front door and she is *screaming* about the window because I'd gotten it jammed, and the guard thinks I was breaking into the apartment to steal something. I keep saying "No, I live here, I live here, tha's my Mumma!" and they ask her if it's true, but she's still going on about the window and calling me just *every name in the book* and threatening to let the guard throw me in jail because wouldn't that teach me, so they don't believe me.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 am » Hue: Yep.
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 am » Sai: *Eyes wide* He... they...
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 am » : Hue: - and they congratulate him. *laughs* Mistook him for a little vigilante, stopping a thief. I think he was just as confused as I was.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 am » Hue:Well, the guard gets there in time to see this boy, I don't even remember who it was, Revi maybe? yank hard enough to pull me out the window, but he looks around and realizes he can't beat me up like he'd like to at this point because the guard is *right there*, so instead he just stands there half-terrified with his hands on my shoulders until the guards come up
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 am » Sai: What happened next, Master Hue?
Professor Zobot « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 am » Sai: *Spit-take*
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 am » ((oops))
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 am » ((Huh. Surprised it didn't censor.))
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 am » Hue: I was a small boy, but it was a small window, so I had to wriggle a bit to get through and I accidentally jammed it at too small an opening when I was only halfway through. Sure enough, one of those neighborhood junior gamblers shows up, and he isn't happy, so he grabs ahold of my ankle and tugs like he's bringing a damned boat in. I'm still stuck, so all this does is pinch, scrape, and leave some lovely bruises. Did just about think he was going to tear my leg off though. I start yelling, he starts yelling, my Mumma wakes up and *she* starts yelling, before you can clap three times there's a huge ruckus and somebody's called the guard.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 am » Hue: So I decided to go around to the window for our apartment and climb in that way. I'd done it before plenty of times.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 am » ((A bit abrupt, copy-pasting from earlier, hope that's okay))
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am » Hue: Alright. I'd been dropped across town again and it took me till nearly dawn to find my way back. It was an ungodly hour in the morning, and I knew if I had to wake Mumma up to get into the apartment I'd be in big trouble, but it was still several hours till Dada would get home. I wasn't willing to wait that long because the kids who would drag me off to some strange part of town made bets on when I'd get back, so one of them always stayed up to catch me again and decide who won the bets and they were generally grumpy when they lost sleep over it.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am » Right.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am » I'd started to nod off.
Dr. Geneve Beard « Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am » Ah, sorry!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun