Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Exalted Art Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Since the exalted game has attracted a fair share of art from the players, this thread is a place to post all sundry pictures, writings, and sundry pertaining to ze game. I made a new thread to differentiate from the MSW board art section, as Exalted can get a little more... violent then is usual fare for the MSW.
The legend begins... here!

Post subject: Re: Exalted Art Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm 

"Alright. I believe we can close up for the night- I have our dinner ready, Seedling."

"...."

The old man smiled a little, ruffling his wards unruly hair.

"Ah, does seedling have something on his mind? Come on, now. A burden is best shared by many hands."

"...I need to hear about her again." the boy set to hsi task- carefully stacking their books and scrolls.

"Ah.... very well. I will tell. You work." the old man lit his pipe, taking a reflective breath of the fragrant smoke.

"She came to our caravans in the pouring rains, where we camped under the meager protection of the thousand year trees. How she knew we were there, I do not know. perhaps she didn't. All I know was that even under the heavy cloak and hood she worse, she was a thing of beauty... and carried a bundle with care, sheltering it from the rain like a treasure." the smoke curled in the air as the cart was packed away, each thing slotted into place.

"Please, she asked us all, standing as tall and still as a statue, Please... Please, will someone take my precious one." the boy closed his eyes a little, letting the words sink into his heart.

"She proffered her bundle with care... where you lay, wrapped in fine silk. Her hands were raw, and bandaged. And through the rain, there were tears in her eyes... but no lioness has ever stood more fiercely over their cub. The nearest town was a day away... and her journey had not been easy. But she had found us." he watched the un set for a moment, reminiscing of the memory. The sleeping child, so small... the woman, ragged and worn in her beauty, pleading for help.

"I told her I would raise you as my own. I never had a family of my own... there was room in my heart and my caravan for you. She placed you in my arms, tucked your doll in with you, and gave me a bag she said was to be for your keep. I tried to refuse, but she wouldn't have it." he had done his best to use as few of the gems inside as he could, hoping to give the boy a little legacy. But in times of hardship, he had been able to ensure they lived well, and that the caravans would survive.

"Before she left, she leaned close to kiss your cheek, and whispered softly. Too low for me to hear... and without another word, she turned and walked away."

The boy wiped his eyes a little on his sleeve, setting the last of their books inside. he had grown up sleeping among them, surrounded by the smell of them. He wore a scarf, a little worn now, but made of fine, soft silk.

"We never saw her again. But that doesn't mean you won't, seedling. The fates will provide."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:57 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Baoshi looking awesome taking out an omen dog.

It's been a while since I've done actiony looking poses so I decided to go with action-y events for this set of drawings.

Attachments:
File comment: "Bad dog! Bad semi-demonic dog of death!"
Exalted CMOA baoshi.jpg
Exalted CMOA baoshi.jpg [ 91.32 KiB | Viewed 2849 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm 

Deka shooting a hole in or abyssal friend.

Attachments:
File comment: "Super sparkly arrow of justice!... wait wrong show."
Exalted CMOA deka.jpg
Exalted CMOA deka.jpg [ 194.53 KiB | Viewed 2844 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm 

Dusk's is one of the two I did with more humor in mind than just awesome.

Attachments:
File comment: "Bad dog! Hmmm this joke's been done before."
Exalted CMOA dusk.jpg
Exalted CMOA dusk.jpg [ 66.3 KiB | Viewed 2841 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 pm 

The second of the more funny ones. Fuzzy kicks a Raksha in the nuts. Didn't work, but still hilarious.

Attachments:
File comment: "Bad Echo-disguised-as-Raksha!"
Exalted CMOA fuzzy.jpg
Exalted CMOA fuzzy.jpg [ 86.23 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 pm 

I'm not entirely sure about this one. Wei may not be too proud of this one since he was trying to avoid killing the guy here. But considering red coat had almost killed Baoshi for the second time in as many minutes it was rather relieving to see him go down.

Attachments:
Exalted CMOA wei.jpg
Exalted CMOA wei.jpg [ 93.27 KiB | Viewed 2832 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:16 pm 

Shun's the last on the list.

Attachments:
File comment: "And this is why you don't hurt the relatives of the exalted"
Exalted CMOA shun.jpg
Exalted CMOA shun.jpg [ 120.12 KiB | Viewed 2828 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:03 pm 

Well, after 4 straight hours of inking, the pairing images are done!*collapse*

First up is Shun and Dusk, working on translating one of the books from the manse.

Attachments:
shun x Dusk.jpg
shun x Dusk.jpg [ 54 KiB | Viewed 2790 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:08 pm 

Next up is a picture of Nellus, the god-blooded son of a library who's taken an interest in Baoshi.

I was thinking of what a roman god who decided not to work out much would be Nellus' look.

Attachments:
Nellus.jpg
Nellus.jpg [ 51.57 KiB | Viewed 2789 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:14 pm 

Hopefully this fits Tinker's description well enough, since he's going to be in a few images. :P

Attachments:
Jan-san.jpg
Jan-san.jpg [ 63.31 KiB | Viewed 2788 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:18 pm 

Fuzzy carrying Wei off for a 'walk'. :)

Attachments:
Fuzzy x Wei.jpg
Fuzzy x Wei.jpg [ 57.04 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:22 pm 

Nellus and Baoshi at the wee hours of the morning after a long night of research.

Attachments:
Nellus x Baoshi.jpg
Nellus x Baoshi.jpg [ 58.89 KiB | Viewed 2786 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:29 pm 

One of my favorites from the series. Deka and Whisper about to turn the tables on a pair of would be ambushers, and getting in some cuddling time before hand.

Attachments:
Deka x Whisper.jpg
Deka x Whisper.jpg [ 167.78 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:35 pm 

Whisper as a male, looking fairly silly in her/his female clothes.

Attachments:
whisper male.jpg
whisper male.jpg [ 64.54 KiB | Viewed 2784 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm 

Deka and male whisper hanging out. Probably the first time Whisper uses the knack that lets 'her' be a 'he'.

Attachments:
deka x whisper male.jpg
deka x whisper male.jpg [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 2782 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:44 pm 

Echo and Grampa Jan sharing stories of past adventures and 'encounters'.

Attachments:
Whisper x Jan stories.jpg
Whisper x Jan stories.jpg [ 69.29 KiB | Viewed 2780 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:50 pm 

Jan-san being cheesy and romantic and Echo being amused and wooed.

Attachments:
Echo x Jan.jpg
Echo x Jan.jpg [ 104.26 KiB | Viewed 2778 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:53 pm 

Echo's female appearance, complete with a tiny bit more modesty.

Attachments:
Echo female.jpg
Echo female.jpg [ 70.37 KiB | Viewed 2778 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:03 pm 

Lastly is Echo and Jan-san stargazing.

Attachments:
Echo x Jan stargazing.jpg
Echo x Jan stargazing.jpg [ 64.03 KiB | Viewed 2777 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:46 pm 

A pic of Deka with snake form Whisper.

Attachments:
Deka Whisper.jpg
Deka Whisper.jpg [ 24.55 KiB | Viewed 2692 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 pm 

D'aww... snake form whisper is pretty adorable.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 pm 

This is the first version of the situation Deka is in now. Working on a better version at this moment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm 

A sketch dump of all the Exalted Artwork used in Story 2. I finally got around to putting it up. Enjoy!

First, we have Desus in his child form!

Second, the imposing and terrifying Juggernaut.

Third: The nerd that Shun, Dusk, and Mei took out.

An image of Thief Unjustly Accused stealing Fuzzy's most precious possession. That fiend!

Thief Unjustly Accused looking impish. Someone needs to dump some ice water on him just after this picture is taken...

The Child in Not-Quite-Battle regalia:

Forsaken By the Gods is not happy-happy. Someone should buy him a sammich before he makes them loose their teeth.

The terrifying Maimed Hand Which Grasps the Axe of Desolation grinning.

Thorns as it once was...

And I guess that's it- wait, WHAT?

Whose this weirdo?

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:05 pm 

EEEEE!!!!! *squees loudly*
This is great. I love seeing all the art.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 pm 

For Prosterity, heres the rough of my spare lunar's back story. he needs a name- any suggestions are welcome. :3
He's a full moon lunar. Very steadfast. Very... devoted.

Quote:
To give the more detailed version, he spent most of his life looking after a patch of land owned by a noble family, keeping it ordered and in good condition for when they would come to stay a while. Literally its steward. It was a solitary but good life, and he liked seeing the family when they returned.
He was suspicious when some of their servants came 'ahead of time'. but they had a note with the masters seal...
And they were charismatic. But things started to feel... wrong. He knew the area, after all. And the sudden amount of death hedging up here and there was more then worrying. So he went to investigate- and discovered the servants (lead by what may have been a abyssal) were planning to wait for the families return, and use them as sacrifices... or worse.
He tried to fight- but that went... poorly. And he was thrown down a ravine.
A ravine he knew opened into the basement of the house... if he could just *get* there, and could just get the stone *door* open.
He hammered with all his might on the door, trying to pop it off its hinges- snap a stone out of the wall, something- already exhausted, and in pain... and a silvery white hand curled around hsi fist as he took a last swing.
Which is where it bears mentioning that an Echidna, besides being a spiky egg laying mammal relative of the platypus, has enormously powerful digging *claws* designed to rip termite mounds to shreds.
The wall became gravel. Needless to say, he found the trecherous servants and dealt with them... I'm not totaly sure what happens next. partially since no matter what it'll be a bit sad.
If he was REALLY lucky he could manage to look human again when the family returns, to tender his resignation in person... but hes he kind of person where he might try to *stay*.
I mean, 'and then they had to flee' is sort of a basic exalted story... But if he was so loyal. And then the conflict comes from him being dangerous by wont of being Castless, and not knowing it...
Let alone probably being fair uncertain if hes anathemia or not.
In the end he just kind of... put his affairs in order, helped hire a new caretaker, fixed that wall, and set out like that.
In its own way, its even sadder...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 am 

A short peice on the nature of turning 20 on the blessed isle.

Quote:
Really, it was already over. The chances, at this point, were low enough to be negligible. He wondered what the exact numbers were- not that he'd be able to find a verifiable source for the results. The second breaths were written down, of course. Everything was, eventually. It was probably one of those things that went political once you tried to look at the rates of other dynast houses, though.

Perhaps that was something he could work on. Might be easier if it was a matter for a... for.

It hurt a little to think the word. Probably not as much as others would have thought. There was a sort of guilt to it- it was perfectly normal. There were far more mortals then exalts in probably all but the very strongest linages. And even then.

Peri forced himself to stand up, and get dressed properly.

This would have been so much easier if they;d given up already.
But he was supposed to be a natural. He wasn;t sure, anymore, that he understood the logic there. He was a foul tempered intellectual with a penchant for hitting people with sticks. Alright, he could see where he neatly lined up with the cliche. But cliches, like anecdotes, did not count as hard data. What did was knowing that there were plenty of good natured dragon blooded... and plenty of ones tht ere idiots, or needed years of study to be able to hit the broad side of the barn. Or were cunning, or charming, or believed that each battle scar wold someday become a scale when they reincarnated into a dragon, or had all the political sense of a baby *chicken*.

...Not that he was thinking of anyone *specific*, of course.

There wasn;t a set formula for who exalted or not. It wasn't the most worthy, or the smartest- or no matter what some said the most entitled, or arrogant. Some did. Most didn't. Out of the entire population, 20% had a chance of exalting. 2-5% did. That was numbers. That was clean. Impersonal. No fault or sin had barred you from it. Just linage and... luck.

He could live with just being unlucky. You could work with the odds you knew, even if they were slanted against you. Alright, so other people wouldn;t think of it that way. They would forever believe, in their tiny little heads, that he had failed some unwritten spiritual *test* that proved, somehow, that his arrogance was unwarranted.

As far as he was concerned, they could think what they damned well wanted. The sun had risen on him the same as it had yesterday, and he would be damned as an anathemas before he goddamned well moped about his lot- and he would sit in a *forge* before he let *those* bastards bother him.

The mountains summit, it seemed, would never beckon him.

He dressed efficiently- bright colors on sturdy cloth, any material wreckable by a little wear and tear had no place in his wardrobe. He made few concessions to fashion, as he rarely tended to notice what new bit of frippery was supposed to be worn. Serviceable boots, arm guards, and clothing that wouldn;t catch on much or bind anywhere had served his ancestors, after all.

Now, that was a thought. You heard bout the warriors, and commanders. The soldiers and the sorcerers. But even then, there had to be some poor hardworking sod making sure the armors got polished and the libraries dusted. There weren't any statues or parades for being sure the bloody crops came in.

And he was finding, as he stepped out of his rooms, that he didn;t mind that at all. He was fine with no statues or monuments, or marks in the history books... but by god, lets see if he couldn;t make every bookkeeper from here to the *coast* fear the name of Peri the Patrician.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 am 

Nice stories, Tinker! Fun to read. Though I feel sorry for the gardener...

I am apparently playing in Demo's game... so I have ideas. A short story or three will be posted soon!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:45 am 

I'd love to hear more about Peri the Patrician-I imagine he'll have quite the career! Full of adventure and bookkeeping, exalted or not. I can just see him putting some dragon blooded in their place.
And the gardener, yes, it's sad. I can see him trying to stay for a while-after all, most of the time he has the place to himself. But eventually, reluctantly, resigning for his sake and theirs.
I like both of these, Tinker. Somehow I'm seeing the Echidna lunar's solar companion being a young brash idiot, and he has to keep the solar out of trouble? No, that's impossible. Help get them out of trouble that they're constantly getting in to. And the lunar being more of an older brother/uncle type figure.
Just an odd thought on my part, the lunar having someone to look after, after leaving his home.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Somehow I'm seeing the Echidna lunar's solar companion being a young brash idiot, and he has to keep the solar out of trouble? No, that's impossible. Help get them out of trouble that they're constantly getting in to. And the lunar being more of an older brother/uncle type figure.

Shun: Not it!

Writer: Got to be shun.

10 ghost tackles.