Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Exalted Art Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Hee! We need to get Tinker and Zobot to agree to this.
Dusk: *snerk*

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 am 

Another short moment, from some years after his 20'th birth day. We meet Peri on his way to his job, as a assistant...

Quote:
"The problem is, I know what you are doing." Peri looks impassively down at the man. He wasn't much taller, perhaps. But he knew how to stretch his spine, and look down his nose as well as any courier of the empress herself.Wheras this fool thought that squaring his shoulders and twisting his *head* back and forth had, apparently, some other affect besides making him look like an impatient bulldog.

The broken shards of china n he floor had barely settled.

"Are you deaf, Patrician?! I said PICK the china UP." he supposed the tone was meant to be a growl of authority, as well. It must have sounded so from the echo chamber of his head, or else Peri could not possibly imagine why he;d use that wheedling, angry whine.

The first thing Peri had sought to learn in the Dojos was what his Sifu called 'necessary motion'. He had ben charmed, as a very small boy, by the exercise where a master could break a plate of thick jade from a distance of perhaps half an arm length. It had stunned and confounded him, enough he foolishly might have broken his hand on his classroom tablet- had his teacher not been fast enough.

As it was, the crack of hand meeting cheek was all the louder for the complete absence of wind up. One moment on the heavy basket of scrolls, and in the span of a half-drawn breath, still up in the air where the imperious young man's cheek had been- allowing the frozen servant witnesses to clearly trace the growing red *mark* against the line of his palm.

" 'I shall exalt', your swagger and wheedling tone cry to the world. 'I shall exalt, and until then I will write every little transgression down within the ledger of my petty little soul, and if I do not think I can thrash you *now* then I will come and find you and then we shall see'." the Assistant was known for a continual breed of 'annoyed monotone' to his words in all situations. Like any neutrality, context stepped in to color it- and the scorn in his eyes, if nothing else, would fill it in for even the thickest opponent.

He didn;t wait for the twisted look of rage to become speech, or motion. Some things were just not worth any measure of anyones time. Regardless, he did not need to look to see the blow's clumsy arc- an off the shoulder swing that was probably *very* impressive when it shattered an unresisting board, or flew to a cowed servant.

For that chilly certainty he bent his knees a little further then he was going to before, giving in to the ever-tug of creation for the hairs breadth it took to defy it again, to push *against* it in the smooth uncurling of his legs, in a quiet tandem with the rising of the palm of his hand.

Because it wouldn't do to let his arc damage any *more* of the rooms art, he let a foot follow him into the air and knock him carefully to the side as he fell.

From the word 'See', his blows had come with about as much time as it took, now, for him to fastidiously check his scrolls, check his ornament, and straighten his robes.

"Come and find me then, mewling spoilt son of dragons. I will be glad to meet you on the challenge floors. Let the warriors of the blessed isle see your ugly grudgs. Or will you skulk in library halls even then?" he set his basket down on a table with an audible noise- striding forward to stand over his foe.

"Shame on you for thinking you are worth more then a vase and a servant! Look upon this memory when you have taken your second breath, and know that as you are, in this moment of ever coiling time, worthless! The Dragons care not that you are braggart or humble, fair or craven! You may exalt for all your lack of *worth*. But know, should the mountain never beckon..." he leaned down and grabbed the boys shirt, unceremoniously.

"I will await you, in this humble valley. And the only kindness I will have for you is if you pick up that china and apologize to the ancestors who tore its beauty from the earth."

A little while later, peri finally reached his destination, now carrying an extra package balanced atop the scrolls.

"There you are, Peri~! Any trouble on the way?"

"Mm. A minor matter."

"Whats that smell? Why, you sweet devil- how;d you know I was famished~"

"Hands off- those are mine. One of the servants insisted I take some tea buns along. You may have *one*."

"No trouble, was it...? Ah, you;re so cruel to me."

"I assure you, cousin. I truly am not."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:23 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

The Art of Diplomacy

"You have to understand Sin, this is a very delicate matter. All I am asking is for your full cooperation and you will have what you desire." Deka took a sip from her tea as she looked across the table at an middle aged man. "You know what I can do. Do you really want me to turn that against you? I prefer if we are allies then enemies." Deka gave a slight grin. Sin of the East grimaced. "We all know who took out Hirashi, despite the lack of evidence to back it up. A lot of people are still upset over that, some very powerful you understand Miss." He sighed. "I am getting too old for all of this. When I was younger all I wanted was to gain power, to be someone in this world. Now, I just want to live comfortably without much strife." Sin took a sip of his own tea and swirled it around in his cup slowly. "Why should I help you? Your path will lead to turmoil, strife and most dangerously of them all, change."

Deka studied the aging man. "I will get what I want in the end. We need a stronger leader. We have a hand in every single city and every body of power or anyone who wants to be in power. Without us, who would be as powerful as they are now. How many nations would wither from the inside out? How many people would starve without us and our unique position that we have now?"

"It is not our thing to be openly in control Miss Deka. We have a long standing policy of secrecy. You of all people should know the value of stealth. But then again, maybe you don't."

"I have never been caught yet. I was able to sneak past all of your guards without being noticed. I could have killed you without you knowing if I didn't want your alliance."

"You have alot of physical stealth, but you have very little political stealth. I am afraid of the ripples your actions will have in the political world. I am sure you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself due to your... unique characteristics. I am sure The Wyld hunt would be interested in talking to you."

Deka Stiffened. "You play a dangerous game here Sin. Why are you telling me this? You know I can't just let you walk away with such knowledge."

"Consider it a life lesson. If I could figure that out from watching you and putting the pieces together, how many other people can do the same? You have a lot of potential, but you still need a lot of training. I think for the benefit of our organization, I better show you how to go about it with a bit more subtlety. I think you are too strong willed not to at least make an impact. It would be unwise to let you do this the wrong way. Do more harm then good in the long run."

Deka nodded. "Does this mean you will become my ally then?"

Sin sipped his tea slowly before answering. "I don't think I have much choice. If I go against you, it will tear us apart and make us weak. If I go with you, I will be making a deal with the devil for the greater good."

"There is always a choice. If you where smart enough, you could have gotten rid of me already."

"I am not above poisons. If I had known it would work, I would have poisoned your tea."

Deka got up and bowed. "Then you would have died quickly. Good day Sin of the East. You have made a wise choice." With a flourish she disappeared from the room. Sin didn't bother calling the guards, he doubt they would notice her leaving or could do anything to stop her. He wondered if he really made the wise choice or not. No matter what happens, That young woman is going to shake things up, whether for the better or not is up for the history books.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:07 am 

Gleam in his mortal form. I'm still working on his God form.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 pm 

Nice! It really looks like light is shining on him, too-nice shading.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 pm 

And god form! He's more shiny. Although I think he looks rather normal for a god, from what I've heard. I think pretty much picked his form, and this seemed like what he would go with. I imagine he looks a lot plainer than most gods.

(I may try to revise his form a bit at some point- this is draft #1.5 as it is, but we'll see)

Spam Poison. I think.