Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: For anyone interested in DnD...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:37 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

...I have recently started a Play-by-Post campaign that is looking for players. If there is anyone on this forum interested in playing, the game and all the details regarding it may be found here.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:50 am 
Moderationator

Sounds like a cool idea! I'd jump in, but I only know 3.0 at all well, and even though I know the changes aren't drastic ones, I don't want to hold up the show. Plus, there's the little matter of my writing docket being kind of full for a while, as I continue to attempt to co-rock your worlds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:05 am 

Well, if you're ever interested, or if anyone is interested, I'm accepting any applications.

Thanks for taking a look, anyway. It's good that the game's getting a bit of notice.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

I'm interested. Just give me a bit to get a character going. Do you have submissions, or are you still waiting on a bit more? As an extension, do you want any particular class?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:53 am 

Wally, believe me when I say that I looking for anything, as long as it fits the requirements I listed in the post.

And you're the first to show any interest in applying, although the game's only been up for less than a day.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Sounds interesting, but I just realized that every single RPG I've played has been on the computer (and thus, that I haven't the first or last idea of how D&D works).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 am 

Oh, I'm tempted, but I haven't played for years. I need to buy the books again, and that's not in the budget this week.
If this was Champions, or T and T, or Shadowrun, I still have my stuff and could leap in. Drat!
Still,....tempting.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:45 pm 

Well, if it's just a case of not knowing the rules, or not having the most recent copy, I did find this site that is quite useful, and pretty much complete. I think so anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 pm 

Just to let anyone and everyone know...

Not being familiar with the rules would not impede your chances of getting in. This game is open to everyone, as long as they'd be willing to learn. I would expect a character sheet to be made, but don't worry about learning the whole rules system immediately.

Quite frankly, people from this forum would have a tiny bit better chance of getting in because I've played with you all before and I know you're all good at RP, which will be somewhat important in the game.

So yeah. No pressure or anything, but if you guys applied, I certainly wouldn't complain about it. :lol:

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:38 am 
New Madsci

Professor, I'm interested but I have a saga star wars game to restart and it looks like I'm going to give World Adventure Writing Month a try (http://woadwrimo.org/).

In August, I'll have the time. If you need replacements after people drop out or you want some one to play some of the NPCs, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:28 am 

Stan wrote:
In August, I'll have the time. If you need replacements after people drop out or you want some one to play some of the NPCs, let me know.

I might, actually. When you get the time in August, make a character and submit it to me on the GitP forums, and we'll talk. For anyone else that's interested, regardless of whether or not you know the rules for 3.5th edition, if you want to apply, feel free!

-Xin Yun

Post subject: Re: For anyone interested in DnD...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 pm 
New Madsci

PbP DnD! Alas, I've stopped using GiantITP boards because server load slows or kills the forum often (or that's what it seems like); that's what Rich Burlow gets for drawing a popular RPG webcomic. Now if there was a game on MythWeavers or here...

By the by, I only today heard of Sorcery & Steam and Dragonmech, two steampunk d20 settings. I keep having visions of Victorian Helen and Agatha Heterodyne battling in the streets. Scratch that, I see them joining forces and terrorizing the city. Oh how I wish GURPS Girl Genius would come out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:30 pm 

ooh, steampunk d & d? You just made my little heart go pit a pat...I'll have to check those out. Not that I have time to run a game,or play, and I still need the new books-but why should I let that stop me? :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:41 am 
New Madsci

I browsed Sorcery & Steam. They leave the setting mostly up to the GM, but what they do describe is the d20 mideval brought to steampunk times: same races, magic, and steampunk creations coexisting. The original core classes have, at most, minor tweaks (like class skills), though their motivations and roles are updated for the new setting, so it's more roleplaying than rollplaying for them. There are only 3 new core classes (kinda needed to flush out a steampunk campaign) but 15 prestige classes (ranging from quintessential steampunk/Victorian archetypes to merely an update of arcane archer, but mostly toward the former). As for skills, there are a few new ones and new uses for old ones, and there's scads of new feats.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, though, so I can't report how well it creates a steampunk feel.