Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: T-Shirts, T-Shirts, T-Shirts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:03 am 
Moderationator

Thanks to the success of the Narbonic evil tee, ComicSpace wants to put out a Skin Horse T-shirt. The question is, what should it look like?

These are the design ideas we've had so far (and by "we," I mean mostly Joey Manley, since I'm terrible at coming up with merchandise ideas):

1. The rocking-horse logo. The simplest idea, and the one I'm leaning toward at the moment.

2. Something suggesting an office T-shirt, with "Project Skin Horse" in stencil. I'm tempted to make it some kind of office sports team shirt, like the Project Skin Horse Beach Volleyball Team. The X-Files really should have had one of those.

3. The first panel of this strip, or really anything with the Killbots.

4. Sweetheart with "I'm the Cute One!" (Now that I think about it, every member of the field team probably thinks of him- or herself as "the cute one.")

5. Tip with "Karaoke Is My Superpower." This is more family-friendly than Tip's other superpower.

Anyone got more ideas? Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: T-Shirts, T-Shirts, T-Shirts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Picture this ... a field of watermelons. The farmer who grows the melons has just been knocked over by a low flying aircraft, and he is shaking his fist angrily at the plane that just bowled him over. The plane (a V-22 Osprey) is replying sarcastically as it flies off ...

"Yippie-Ki-Yay, Melon Farmer"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 am 
Moderationator

Something with the "redacted" gag might be nice. Black marker redacted text, something like that. Useful, ain't I?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:16 am 
Mysterious Stranger

How about something like the M.I.B. pose from the Minicomic? In layers from back-to-front:

1) Large Skin Horse logo, say in solid medium-light brown with no outline
2) Moustachio in center, drawn in "white"/blank with black outline and enswirled with Gavotte
3) Tip, Sweetheart, and Unity centered in front of M. and arranged pretty much like they are on the minicomic cover, maybe with Tip in something a little more MIB and a little less Gone With The Wind.

Ideally (for moi) would be a pattern where you could switch the black for white ink and print it in white/brown on a black T. Since I don't wear ties at work (yay!), white T-shirts don't look right under my shirt, but I can wear all kinds of cool black and dark blue T-shirts ("Horton Hears Cthulhu", "Science will save me from myself", "I void warranties", etc.) and get away with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:02 am 
Mysterious Stranger

A cast shot of the Skin Horse crew trying to pose dramatically, or whatever they think is dramatic given their quirks. "We're from the government. We're here to help."

-- Dani.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:37 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Shaenon wrote:
3. The first panel of this strip, or really anything with the Killbots... 5. Tip with "Karaoke Is My Superpower." This is more family-friendly than Tip's other superpower.

Both of those sound pretty good to me. In terms of ideas - I don't know - how about something related to this strip's 12/31/08's punchline? (Tried to post the link, but the forum doesn't seem to want to let me). Maybe Tip dressed in camo with some variation of the "Be All You Can Be" tagline?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 am 
Mysterious Stranger

The last panel from November 27 2008 would make a good shirt. Blueberry Waffles! Blueberry Waffles!
(I would have included a link, but Nick says I'm a forking hacker and thinks I'm Helen Keller spamming you!)

Edit: Or maybe the last two panels of 25 Oct 2008.
Put Dr. Lee's hit-me-with-your-best-shot on the front, and oh-good-lord on the back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

I like the idea of the field team in their MIB get-up, with the Skin Horse logo in the background ... but for a bit of class, the motto should be in Latin:

"De Gubernaculo Venimus et Adservirevos Volumus"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:47 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Tip with

"have makup, will travel"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Oops - wrong comic.

Attachments:
secret.png
secret.png [ 9.3 KiB | Viewed 4112 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:20 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

dani wrote:
A cast shot of the Skin Horse crew trying to pose dramatically, or whatever they think is dramatic given their quirks. "We're from the government. We're here to help."

I think this one gets it right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:34 pm 
New Madsci

Oo, t-shirts. Yes, I'm for t-shirts. Plural (and not just because I'm low on t-shirts at the moment).

The basic rocking-horse logo is hard to argue with. For a higher-end version, emboss it on a polo shirt, with or without "Project Skin Horse" underneath, in place of the little alligator or whatever. You know, unless Ralph Lauren would sue over the use of a horse-related logo, in which case don't do that.

Dani's idea (the cast in their version of dramatic poses, with the quote, "We're from the government. We're here to help.") is excellent. Or you could use the quote from the back of Volume One: "They're the shadow government. They're here to help. Please go easy on them."

I also like Channing's idea about using the "REDACTED" gag, perhaps in some sort of motto, e.g., "Project Skin Horse: Helping REDACTED REDACTED find REDACTED since 1851."

I would LOVE to be able to wear a shirt, t- or otherwise, with the Department of Jetpack Suppression seal on it. Maybe also one with the Bureau of Precambrian Defense seal. And I don't doubt that a shirt with the Department of Irradiation seal would be a good seller, too. Good work on those, Rrreed!

It's not a t-shirt, but I would totally love to put an Annex One parking pass in my car, either as a static window decal or as one of those cards you hang from the rearview mirror. Or an Anasigma parking pass, or maybe some other form of sticker with the Anasigma logo on it.

...So I guess what we've learned today is that we have met the market for Skin Horse merch, and he is me.

Last edited by andyforhire on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:52 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Love the group shot idea. Love the redacted idea. And, I so want a Dept. of Jetpack Supression shirt. Rrreed is all that and a death ray.
I also long for a pair of Dr. Jone's science pants...
Can you see the whole cast posing, Tip in a gorgeous dress, Mustachio, Sweetheart, Unity, just as they usually are-but each one is wearing MIB dark glasses? And I think Nick needs to be on any shirt, somehow.

Obscure fact for you-[quote][The basic rocking-horse logo is hard to argue with. For a higher-end version, emboss it on a polo shirt, with or without "Project Skin Horse" underneath, in place of the little alligator or whatever. You know, unless Ralph Lauren would sue, in which case don't do that.
/quote]
It's not an alligator. Rene LaCoste (I know I'm misspelling that) was nicknamed 'le crocodile'. Whether for ferocity in play, or physical resemblace, who knows? But those are supposed to be tiny crocodiles.
Why yes, I am a trivia nerd. I also am the proud owner of a t-shirt depicting a gator wearing a shirt with a tiny people logo on it.
:D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am 
New Madsci

Huh. I did not know that, Chicgeek. Which is a pity, because that is exactly the sort of trivia I usually very much like to know.

...but I guess now I do know it, so it's all good. Thank you for filling me in. And apparently you are spelling Rene Lacoste correctly, if that puts you at ease, except for the little diacritical mark over the second "e" in "Rene," which I don't know how to include in a forum like this anyway.

And yes, Nick should definitely be reckoned among the Skin Horse staff and included in depictions thereof. And Gavotte, if we could make it work, you know, with the thousands of tiny pairs of MIB dark glasses. (Heck, I wouldn't object to putting Dr. Lee in the picture somewhere, too, though not among the actual Skin Horse folks--maybe hiding behind a piece of office furniture with that expression she gets on her face when she's questioning her career choices.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 pm 
Moderationator

Nick has a really hard time shopping for sunglasses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm 

*snicker* Now I can't get the image of giant sunglasses on a copter out of my head. Good one.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:49 pm 
New Madsci

What about one of those windshield sun-shade things like you see on cars? Or just tinted glass? Admittedly, not as cool as the sunglasses, but more vehicle-appropriate.

Maybe the dog tags Dr. Lee gave him would be his equivalent badass-government-agent accessory?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Choosing one out seems difficult.
All sound kool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 am 
New Madsci

After today's strip (October 5, 2010) and some of the comments in the thread for the day, I'll enter "Prim is the new lascivious" into the forum discussion about t-shirts. Maybe the design would feature Moustachio and Gavotte looking slyly at each other or something, or maybe it would just be fancy, Victorian-esque text.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 am 
New Madsci

andyforhire wrote:
After today's strip (October 5, 2010) and some of the comments in the thread for the day, I'll enter "Prim is the new lascivious" into the forum discussion about t-shirts. Maybe the design would feature Moustachio and Gavotte looking slyly at each other or something, or maybe it would just be fancy, Victorian-esque text.

I second this.

And I would save a portion of my paycheck simply to have it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:14 am 
Moderationator

I should probably do a shirt that's just Moustachio tooling around.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:54 am 
New Madsci

Plush cobras? I'd go for some plush baby cobras, too. Sure, they're not shirts, but if they've got that semi-rigid poseable quality to them that some stuffed toys have, you could wrap them around your arm and wear them. That counts, right?

Sure, if we're going to talk plush Skin Horse toys, Sweetheart is the obvious choice, but the cobras are so darned ADORABLE!

Maybe they could even have that feature where you press a spot on their hoods or something and they say any of a variety of cute lines. "Big words are scary!" "Hug us!" "It smells like librarian in here!"

(The talking Sweetheart, of course, would have to say, among other things, "Dear Populace, you have displeased me. Regards, The Monster.")

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 am 
New Madsci

And a wallpaper border. You know, because it's like a t-shirt for your wall. (OK, yeah, I know I'm stretching that one a little far.) A wallpaper border made to look like a hallway in Annex One lined with doors to the various offices. Plus a few subtle touches here and there, for people who are paying close enough attention, like a suspicious liquid oozing out from under the door of the Federal Office of Giant Leaking Containers, an eerie glow visible underneath the door of the D. of I. (and maybe a cheer coming from inside), and a silverfish or two scurrying along the hallway.

I . . . I should probably be stopped before the U.N. finds out. Or worse, Anasigma's recruitment division.

ETA: Er, I mean the kind of wallpaper border that goes on your actual wall, like at ceiling height or sometimes at waist or windowsill height, not the kind of wallpaper border that goes on your computer desktop. Though I suppose that would be cool, too. (Do those even exist?)

Last edited by andyforhire on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 pm 
New Madsci

Another suggestion or two, based on the comment threads from the November 15 strip:

There's Unity's line from the strip, "I'M science!", suggested by derekthebard for t-shirt use.

Then there's rrreed's "I AM science!" version, amended for grammatical emphasis.

I suppose, if you want, you can also consider "I'm SCIENCE!", which is sort of what I'd expect to see on an xkcd t-shirt or something.

Me, I kinda favor "I'M science!" Partly, it's Unity's actual line, her way of volunteering to be the "science" to which the spare limbs would get donated, and partly, "I AM science!" sounds a little like a person claiming to be the whole of science, whereas "I'M science!" sounds a little more like a person claiming to be some kind of scientific product or entity. I tend to prefer understated jokes to overstated ones.

Of course, I'm sure it's possible to set up the design of the shirt in a way that makes clear what's going on, or in a way that makes explanation unnecessary. One idea would be to set up some kind of line about donating one's brain to science, maybe even with a visible character (maybe but not necessarily from the existing SH strips) proclaiming his or her intention to do so, and then draw Unity, knife and fork in hand, napkin tied around her neck, replying, "I'M science!"

(It's probably also possible to turn "I'M science!" into a sleazy pick-up line, given a good enough setup about donating one's body to science.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 pm 
New Madsci

Oo! Oo! Crossover t-shirt idea! A drawing of Unity looking interestedly--not with overt hunger, just interestedly, as if she's just now noticed what it is that's in the room with her--at brain!Helen and brain!Helen asking, "What?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm 
Mysterious Stranger

Andyforhire, that sounds like it would be made of win. I'd totally support that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 pm 
Moderationator

I'm definitely going to do "I'm science!" as a wallpaper design. Gotta get on that...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 pm 
New Madsci

It's been suggested in the comment thread for today (Monday, November 29, 2010) as a t-shirt design, so here it is in the T-shirts forum:

Pinwheel Cookies: Better than a Rocket Launcher
(credit for the idea goes to Andrew Kunz / ampersand888)

My spin on it would probably be to place pinwheel cookies, a rocket launcher, a rocket launcher that fires other rocket launchers, a pony made outta bacon, and possibly a few other items as well, all in some kind of ranked list, separated by > or < signs to indicate which are better than which. Or better yet, in a circle--a dizzying circle of ever-escalating awesomeness, with each thing better than the thing immediately counterclockwise from it. And in the center of the circle, Unity's face from the fourth panel of today's comic or her face and hands from the third panel of the comic from Thursday, November 25, 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 pm 
New Madsci

From a suggestion by tiff_hudson in the comment threads, a line from the fourth panel of the January 4, 2011, strip:

A man this pretty shouldn't have to be competent!

As samhdaniel notes later in the same comment thread, a great many men wouldn't really be qualified to wear a t-shirt like that. (Maybe if the line were modified to something like, "When you look this good, you don't have to be competent!"?) But it's a great line nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:04 pm 
New Madsci

It's not strictly a "Skin Horse"-themed shirt per se, but here's an idea based on the following comment by reynard in the comment threads for the 2/21/11 strip:

Quote:
Is something wrong with me? Because every time I see "necromantic" or "necromantically" I get this picture in my head of a young zombie couple enjoying a nice candlelight dinner of braaaaaiiiiins.

The picture on the shirt would show a zombie couple at a small, romantic table with a candle on it, and on the table between the zombies there's a brain and two plates, or possibly two plates, each with a brain on it. Maybe also a bottle of wine and two glasses or something. Above the picture, on a stylized floating banner (held aloft by zombie cupids?), there's the word "Necromance!" or something along that line.

Alternative banner text might include "How necromantic!", "Necromantically yours", "Put a little necromance in your life", or some other play on the idea of necromance. (I suppose one alternate picture idea, especially with the "Put a little necromance in your life" caption, might involve a living human presenting his or her zombified sweetie with a gift, like maybe a brain-shaped box of chocolates or something.)