Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A Narbonic cardgame
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:35 pm 
New Madsci

One day, I decided to combine my two loves: Narbonic and boardgames. (Actually, there are more than two, but to add more to that gestalt would rip a hole in the fabric of the universe.) Trouble is, I'm having trouble with the design: I have high standards for game design, and I hold the comic and Shaenon in great esteem, and so the game must (in vain attempt to) live up to its inspiration. Anyway, a couple questions I wish to pose to the fans:

1) What would you like to see in a game based on Narbonic?
2) In what ways do mad scientists compete against each other? So far I'm thinking: rampaging creations, having an impressive base, vieing for the von Boom award, defeating good guys, holding the world hostage...

Yes, this is my first post.

Edit: If this belongs in a different folder, let me know.

Post subject: Re: A Narbonic cardgame
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

I can see playing the "Fools! I'll destroy you all!" card, for an attack. Players must be required to let loose with villainous laughter upon occasion. And I don't know how this would work in game mechanics, but teamups should be possible-but always be followed by a double cross. A doublecrossing B, B doublecrossing A-or maybe bonus points for a simultaneous double cross. Yeah, put the doublecross cards in the deck, whoever draws one first? Dunno.
Anyway, I like the idea of a Narbonic board game!
Let's see, points for messing with others henches, hmm...I'd say use all the bits you've listed, and more(creating an impressive base, winning the Von Boom, ect) with the survivor, er, winner of the game being the one taking over the world?
Just some random thought here-good luck, and keep us posted!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am 
New Madsci

The general idea I had in mind was a cardgame akin to San Juan or Race for the Galaxy as they have the same general structure: you develop a settlement/space empire/mad science lab, and the winner is the one with the most prestige or whatnot at the end. The only thing is the above games are too... stately. There should be duplicity and conspiracy and conniving and trashed bases and rampaging creations getting taken away by the feds. But simply shoehorning mayhem into the above systems didn't sit right, so I'm starting with the fundamentals. Hence, asking the fans what should be in such a game. I think my main outside requirement is that the game also not be random (i.e. you might as well toss a die to see who wins because whatever you did in the game doesn't matter) and balanced (i.e. everyone has a fair chance of winning).

Team ups and doublecrossing, check
Manical laughter, check
:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 am 
New Madsci

Adding to the list of lists:

1) What would you like to see in a game based on Narbonic?
2) In what ways do mad scientists compete against each other?

Publications in mad science journals
Federal subsidies
Ransoming/stealing treasure
Publicity

3) What are the locations for lairs?

Office building
Abandoned drainage pipe
Mom's basement
Deserted island
Somewhere in the midwest (Two Willows)
Lunar base
Lost Diamond Mines of Brazil