Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Volumes 1-6: the extra stuff!
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm 
New Madsci

Hi all!
I just recently discovered Narbonic (and Skin Horse, and Lil' Mell, etc...) and can't get enough of it! I want to buy one of the 6 print volumes, so I was wondering if people who own them could tell me which one has their favourite extra stuff. Does one of the introductions just introduce the hell out of it? Which guest strip is so awesome it's almost like it was done by Shaenon herself? Which snazzy pinup is the snazziest?

Post subject: Re: Volumes 1-6: the extra stuff!
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:41 pm 
Moderationator

My single favorite bonus story is Volume 4, "The Facts of Life", words by Sarge and art by Irony-Chan; this volume is also nicely introduced by the prolix but pleasing Eric Burns. Pinups sort of vanished after the first two volumes. I can't possibly fathom starting ownership of a book series with anything other than the first volume, mind you, and would furthermore myself choose a book with my own single favorite individual storyline -- probably 3, "...Doppleganger Gambit" or 5, "...Lovelace Affair". And, of course, Volume 5's bonus story has a special place in my heart *personally*... ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:36 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Why buy just one? Buy them all and help shannon's plan for WORLD DOMINATION! MWAHAHAHAHAH!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:41 am 
New Madsci

Lord Dave wrote:
Why buy just one? Buy them all and help shannon's plan for WORLD DOMINATION! MWAHAHAHAHAH!
Because, while I am all for supporting the art I enjoy, I won't be in a position to drop that kind of ca$h all at once until I finish grad school...but I hope to eventually own them all.

Channing wrote:
My single favorite bonus story is Volume 4, "The Facts of Life", words by Sarge and art by Irony-Chan; this volume is also nicely introduced by the prolix but pleasing Eric Burns. Pinups sort of vanished after the first two volumes. I can't possibly fathom starting ownership of a book series with anything other than the first volume, mind you, and would furthermore myself choose a book with my own single favorite individual storyline -- probably 3, "...Doppleganger Gambit" or 5, "...Lovelace Affair". And, of course, Volume 5's bonus story has a special place in my heart *personally*... ;)

Thanks for the tip! Irony-Chan's art is pretty cool. Though I'm not sure how much longer I can live without the pinups, so perhaps I should start with volume 1 after all...

Anyone else feel free to chime in with the advice; I'm waiting until I move back to the good ol' US of A before I order to save on shipping : )

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

I own all six, and they're all awesome. Extras and all. So, start with book one, and add them in order when you have the funds. Try hinting when it's birthday or other special occasion time. I got my six spread out over two years as mother's day presents. Yay family! Of course, it helps that the kid reads them also...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente