Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:58 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

It's at Club Malevois, the premier night spot for the insane and evil.

And those that are only 1 out of 2, I suppose.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 am 
Heh heh heh.

It's at Club Malevois. I kinda doubt Mecha's grown that large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:38 pm 

No Mecha-and the party is before Sparky. But now I'm wondering-would mecha have insisted on a video feed so he could watch the shenanigans? If that helps your plotting, do it-otherwise he just gets to stay home and scare trick or treaters. :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:57 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

One thing about my Halloween party. You know Mad Des is free for tonight because I've posted it here. But one thing I do wish to stress is that if you read the "Mad Des posts," they all use "He" instead of his name.
Part of my treat for the halloween party is a murder mystery. I'm not going to tell you who just yet. I'm also not telling it isn't Mad Des. You'll just have to catch him to see.
Oh as for what he painted outside, it is in my next post, so if you could have everyone act suitably horrified but not describing the "masterwork" outside I would appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm 

Des, I gotta thank you about this most recent post.

Not that my characters are gonna be happy about murder or anything, but this is a perfect distraction to keep David from noticing Sarah. In other words, he's not going to find out that she's dead and freak out about it during the party, which is probably a good thing, because I know what would happen and it'd either result in him dying or the entire building being leveled, possibly killing him and a few other non-player mads.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:14 pm 

Des, you scare the crap out of me! Great posting, as always.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:44 pm 

Hmmm... to traumatize a character, or not... decisions, decisions.
Aw, what the heck. Wheeeee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 am 

Eh... I got to it before anyone else did. Sorry guys.

Every now and then I feel the need to reassert that Elleb is NOT human, and is pretty far divorced from the human condition. This is one of those times. In most of the legends of the fae I've read they tend to be a lot less... substantial in nature, and a lot more whimsical (or, alternatively, feral) in nature. Elleb doesn't quite grasp the concept of human mortality. She knows that death HAPPENS for mortals, but she really doesn't know how. Consequentially, she tends to take death more or less in stride, since she doesn't really understand what it entails.

Or at least, she WOULD have, if David hadn't ruined it by explaining some of it to her. I imagine to a creature that was raised as an immortal among immortals, the idea of ceasing to be and not knowing what would happen next would be pretty terrifying. It's just not something they'd be used to dealing with, the same way humans inevitably go mad when dealing with Lovecraftian elder horrors.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:23 pm 

Dammit, I really want to write up Andrew doing his investigative shtick, but Desius hasn't told us what the crime scene looks like! *whimper*

... Meh. I'll find a way around it. I'm having *fun* with this. :D
and this is how Andrew copes when things turn serious and he can;t act like a character from a Hero Story. He switches to Mystery. Then, when everything is over, he goes home and wears his PJ's and watches the Magic School Bus for a few hours.

Also: Claire. Muh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:42 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Dammit, I really want to write up Andrew doing his investigative shtick, but Desius hasn't told us what the crime scene looks like! *whimper*

... Meh. I'll find a way around it. I'm having *fun* with this. :D
and this is how Andrew copes when things turn serious and he can;t act like a character from a Hero Story. He switches to Mystery. Then, when everything is over, he goes home and wears his PJ's and watches the Magic School Bus for a few hours.

Also: Claire. Muh?

Well, let's see. From what Claire understands, Mister Tinker's unhappiness with relationships comes from too much Holmes identity. Now, in Claire's mind, Mister Tinker and Mister Toboz are both in the 'friends' category, something she finds odd, because they're both Heroes.

And Claire doesn't like it when her friends are unhappy.

As for the rest, I'll just say Claire's feelings regarding Holmes are... interesting.

:twisted:

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:53 pm 

Claire wrote:
Well, let's see. From what Claire understands, Mister Tinker's unhappiness with relationships comes from too much Holmes identity.

Hmm, this is true- but it's also just the way he has to cope with something like a bloody murder scene combined with having needed a new costume anyways. Not that her analysis is entirely off.
(... and I felt like switching genres.)

Claire wrote:
As for the rest, I'll just say Claire's feelings regarding Holmes are... interesting.

Funny thing? So are Andrew's :D They should bond!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:41 am 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Claire wrote:
Well, let's see. From what Claire understands, Mister Tinker's unhappiness with relationships comes from too much Holmes identity.

Hmm, this is true- but it's also just the way he has to cope with something like a bloody murder scene combined with having needed a new costume anyways. Not that her analysis is entirely off.
(... and I felt like switching genres.)

Claire wrote:

Funny thing? So are Andrew's :D They should bond!!

Yielding a rather interesting setup. Andrew uses being Holmes-like to cope with the murder. Claire, meanwhile, has difficulty coping with Andrew being Holmes-like, leading to her trying to get him to stop it. Somehow, I doubt she'll be that successful. She also chose a rather strange method, something I chalk up to the shock of seeing Andrew in a Holmes costume.

Not to mention Elleb freaking out, whatever horrific thing got set up, and the fact that there's a murderer running around. Oh, and JanetTor and Thaddeus are somewhere in the depths of the kitchen fighting monsters.

I'm kind of worried Lady Drezebel will get bored again.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 am 

Claire wrote:
I'm kind of worried Lady Drezebel will get bored again.

It's true... those of you familiar with the anime Lady Drezebel based her costumes off of know what happens when Haruhi gets bored.

Let's just say that there's one other thing Lady D COULD do if she got really frustrated with her situation and decided that things needed to change...

Actually, now that I think of it, that might be an interesting way to end the night if things come down to it.

heh heh heh?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 am 

OK let me write what is at the crime scene since I'm not ready yet for my main post and I don't want to keep all you hanging.
The victim is cut to ribbons. There are massive lacerations on his throat, wrists, ankles, and abdomen. However Death was not from the lacerations. They all were done post-mortem. The main cause of death looks as though the victims head was crushed. And by crushed,i mean splattered crushed. Bits and peices of skull, brains and hair litter all over the scene, though only the top of the head is crushed. As in earlobe down, normal, earlobe up, gone.
Over the door of the club is a bit of Dante. Written in the fresh blood of his latest victim is the old passage, "all hope abandon ye who enter here."
However, his original work of 'art,' is written in different blood, and says "Hickory Dickory Dock." Beneath, though splattered with the new victims blod, is a smeared circle. There are smeared lettering or numerals, though so far gone as to be basically unreadable. There are photograghs fluttering about and underneath our hapless minion a couple still have small stone's weighing them down. there are twelve in all, with a thirteenth that looks looks like it was from a polaroid of the victim.
The photo's are, in random order:

Chic
Andrew
Thad
Vladimir
Claire
Prime
Desius
Ingrid
Lady D
"Alice" (The alter ego of the Janitor)
Wally
Elleb

At this point. We need to cue the rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 am 

Uh oh...

wait. The only part of this that doesn't quite make sense to me is this: What sort of photo would you use for Prime? I mean, I can see photos for everyone else, but...

Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 am 
Heh heh heh.

Uh... isn't Prime a nontangible entity or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:33 am 

At this point in the story Prime has shown up twice as a seperate entity.
Once at the paintball game.
Once at the party earlier.
There has been a few other times but none of them public.
The photo is only of his face, you can't make out what, if anything, he's wearing.
However, it IS from the-

*thwack*

Mad Des: Ah-ah. No spoiling the ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:02 am 
Hyperkeeper

Ummm, perhaps I should clarify:

At the paintball game, Prime appeared as a glowing blue projection of SoItBegins. Sort of a 'shade', if you will.

At the party, though I haven't had the time to bring this up yet, Prime is in attendance only as a voice: the voice of GLaDOS, the psycho supercomputer from Portal.

EDIT: Des, sorry if this messes up your plan, but I kinda felt it was important to be clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:09 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
At the party, though I haven't had the time to bring this up yet, Prime is in attendance only as a voice: the voice of GLaDOS, the psycho supercomputer from Portal.

Oh, dear. Is Lemon at the party?

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:39 pm 

And Chic is at the top of the list-eek!
This is going to be a party to remember, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 pm 

Depending on how you look at it, it also might be a party to repress.

Anyone got a mind-wiper handy, just in case?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:50 pm 

Heh, no worries. The pictures don't mean quite what everyone thinks they do. However, for the sake of the mystery, could you have Prime not be quite as all knowing or simply refusing to tell everyone whats going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:32 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Right now, I'm not entirely sure what's going on, much less Prime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:53 pm 

From what I understand: Mad Des killed a guy and left a cryptic clue behind on his corpse. The 13 pictures each correspond to someone alive at the party, except for the 13th, which is the dead guy. So there's a somewhat ominous yet obvious connotation there... I don't get the rhymes and stuff, however.

The only hole in the entire thing is the picture of Prime. Granted, I suppose you could say that Prime's manifested a form before (as people have already mentioned) but then, wouldn't the picture just look like SiB?

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 pm 

Did the horribly scary and creepy Mad Des kill a guy?
The posts of blood and knives-they are first person. "He" is the only way he's refered to. God knows who the killer is.
Yeah, we know Mad Des is out, and coming to the party. And I wouldn't put killing someone past his delicate sensibilities. Oh my god, it would even make sense. Come morning, Mad Des would be asleep, locked away again-leaving Desius to pay the penalty. And be locked away himself, away from his support group.(Well-Chic would never let that happen, but maybe Mad Des doesn't know that). And it'd perhaps be so much easier to break free from Des...
But I'm keeping my suspicious mind open on this. The rhymes? Dunno.
The Dante quote-Abandon hope all ye that enter here-above the gates of hell, and now above Club Malevois. And pictures of 12 people inside the club-inside hell-plus the bouncer. Someone who thinks Mads belong in hell, and is planning on sending a few of us there?
A former brainwashed member of Father's crusade, his mind broken and twisted, hunting mads again after a hiatus?
Rambling. Murder mystery is quite cool. And knowing how Desius posts, it's probably something none of us has thought of. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:58 pm 

Ok. I'll be less cryptic for a moment.
As a sort of treat for halloween, I'm having a little mystery adventure. The rules of our killer are simple. 'He' has appeared before. 'He' will NOT kill or greviously injure anyone here, he may knock out or otherwise remove someone from play. Everyone here has already survived, and this is semi-canon anyways.
The first person to guess the classic clue trio of 'Who,' 'Where,' and 'With What,' plus the important 'Why,' wins. I'll steal Zobot's normal prizes and do a piece with a character of your choosing for you.
Now, before you all go off giggling to yourselves and trying to figure out how Mad Des did everything, I'm going to mention two small little things.
One, I'm counting the Mad Sci Wars, Tales of Madness, The Mad-Sci Notebook, The Practice Wars, The Mad Sci Dossiers, The Lounge, The Sign-up queue, and everything about the costume party as fair game for "'He' has appeared before. Stop for a moment and think how many characters, talked about, envisioned, or played that gives me to choose from. Not quite as easy as you'd think.
The final clue I've got, and this is a big one so if you don't want to read stop here.

To read Copy the line below and paste it into your word processor and enlarge. If you know how to do spolier tags, let me know.
The narrative I've given so far is from TWO seperate characters. It's up to you to figure out who is who.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 pm 

"One, I'm counting the Mad Sci Wars, Tales of Madness, The Mad-Sci Notebook, The Practice Wars, The Mad Sci Dossiers, The Lounge, The Sign-up queue, and everything about the costume party as fair game for "'He' has appeared before. Stop for a moment and think how many characters, talked about, envisioned, or played that gives me to choose from. Not quite as easy as you'd think."

Fair enough. Are you refering to characters you have mentioned in your own posts, or any character that has ever been mentioned?

pondering....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:00 pm 

Good thing Alice is the Clark-Kent-esque one. Though I think 'Holmes' might be immune to that...

Speaking of which, does anyone mind if I rename the alter ego? I was perusing the archives, and realized that 'Alice' has been used already - one of the voices in Dr. Amino's head. *facepalms* In the Practice Wars, neither Timmy nor Yongkusumo know Homeless Identity's name yet, so the damage would be minimal if I change it now. ('Gale'?)

Quote:
Now, before you all go off giggling to yourselves and trying to figure out how Mad Des did everything, I'm going to mention two small little things.
One, I'm counting the Mad Sci Wars, Tales of Madness, The Mad-Sci Notebook, The Practice Wars, The Mad Sci Dossiers, The Lounge, The Sign-up queue, and everything about the costume party as fair game for "'He' has appeared before. Stop for a moment and think how many characters, talked about, envisioned, or played that gives me to choose from. Not quite as easy as you'd think.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm 

Considering I've only written what seven or so characters, I'm going to go with any. If, for example, I chose a character of yours that you didn't want turned into a bloodthirsty monster, well I'm simply hiding behind the "semi-canon" clause the party has and chalking it up to some spiked candy or something. Or if you prefer I'm only snatching the template and making an identical character that I've turned into a monster. Either way, since the character doesn't exist in the main storyline, it won't effect anything if you decide to reintroduce it.
Clear?
Or are you asking for the sake of the game and I've just completely followed the wrong tangent here?

PS. This is not to say I chose a character from Chic's, I could have picked one of my own, but.. oh hell, it's giving me a headache on being vague. Lets just say it can be anyone. Jeez try to avoid spoilers nd you talk in circles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:07 pm 

It's your character-rename her if you wish. Personally-I don't see anything wrong with her being Alice. It's just a coincidence. I kind of like the name, myself.
After all, the little mad from the orphanage that gave David his Polarion Resequencer is named Emily-just like Chic, although very few people call her that. And it's no big thing at all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next