Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Elleb-

As Wallycaine opens the book, Elleb stood up out of her margarita bath and used a quick charm to dry herself off. She bent down and flipped through the pages. "<Hmmph! These songs are all so bland and uninspired... is THIS what mortal music has devolved too in the Fair Folk's absence?>" with a discordant sigh, she looked up at Wallycaine, her eyes widening. "<Umm... c-can I sing my own song? Pweeeeeaaase?>" She paused for a moment, until she realized that he couldn't understand her like this.

With a sigh, she whispered a few invocations, and an idea popped into Wally's head. She took one of his fingers and set to flight, pulling him along onto the stage. Then she nodded to him, and he reached over to the karaoke machine and activated it, as it started playing a light and ethereal tune.

Elleb sighed, clearing her mind and concentrating. Words, HUMAN words...began emerging from her mouth. She was visibly sweating, twice the usual amount of glimmer trailing down from her body as she flitted in front of the microphone. Using a Glamour to simulate aural stimulation, especially human words she didn't actually KNOW, was extremely difficult.

"H-heh-heh-lo! T-This is an oldie... um, well, it's probably an oldie for mortals, anyway. And it's not really a song, but..." She cleared her throat and began.

Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire!
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the Fairy Queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green;
The cowslips tall her pensioners be;
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours;
In those freckles live their savours;
I must go seek some dewdrops here,
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.

She smiled and stopped her wings, spiraling down to the ground and landing there, panting (Which for her sounded vaguely like a flute playing a scale of notes) and smiled up at Mr. Wallycaine. She was starting to like him...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:53 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIVJzUgE0S8 Tab it for some nice background mood setter.

The blood dripped to a sweet melody all it's own.
He swayed to and fro, careful in his jerky movement to keep the red stuff clear.
"These are my... friends, he sung happily, pulling the clothing from his victim. He slid the razor across his discarded shirt, wiping it clean. "See how they... glisten."
He pivoted in a slow circle, stepping past the splatter and leaving the alleyway behind, singing as he jerked under the lamp light, grabbing hold of a post and swinging around it, "See this one shine,"
"How he smiles in the light!"
"My friends..." he whispered, watching the crowd move unaware, ghost and goblins laughing and cackling, screaming and shouting as children continued their merry journey door to door. "My... Faithful friends...."
He closed his eyes, enjoying the night wind, he could feel the cobwebs clear, the body becoming more and more his own once again, "I've come home... to find you waiting..."
He smiled as the sounds washed over him.
"Speak to me... Friend." he sang, pressing the razor along his jaw and feeling the cold metal against the side of his face, the engravings rubbing across his stubble. "Whisper... I'll listen."
The car honked at him, the driver cursing loudly at him he walked, eyes still closed across the street, wrapped up in own melody. He paused, "I know... I know..."
"You've been locked away all these years!" he sang harshly before screaming loudly, children and parents steering clear of him. "Like ME, my friend!"
"But I've come Home...." he sang softly, closing his eyes again and rocking back and forth slightly. A kid fell down on the slickened sidewalk, and his mother sighed as she picked him up.
"And we're together...."
"And we'll do wonders..."
He opened his eyes, feeling the child come closer. Perhaps not everything was blunted after all. The woman looked at the child, clucking to herself, "How did you get all dirty..." she asked before going slightly pale. The child was covered in red, and she felt he eyes drawn to the alleyway.
"Won't we..." He sang to himself, licking his lips slightly.
"Who are you dressed up as?" The kid asked, all decked out as a robot.
"A nightmare." he smiled back as the screams started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:18 pm 

The cook hands Janitor his jacket as he enters the kitchen.

"Ah. He didn't catch it, then?" he asks, tiredly.

"Nope, just ran into the pantry. I don't think they've caught him yet, though."

"Where?"

The cook points at a shadowy doorway set in a shadowy alcove on the far wall. Lights swing back and forth in the darkness; angry voices call out to each other. "You're going in there? I don't even go in there. My last assistant became an invertebrate just to bring me a single cup of sugar."

"...How much to clean it out?"

The cook's eyes bug out. "Are you kidding me? That would cost more than my electricity bill!"

Janitor smiles. And pulls out a business card. "Don't worry about the cost," he says. "Ten dollars will be sufficient, plus whatever I find in there."

He moves to the doorway. A sickly breeze caresses his face. "Oh, and a cure for drinking too much punch," he adds, then walks in.

"Naked Guy?" Janitor shouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:40 pm 

Wally holds Elleb up on his shoulder, and waves out the crowd. "Let's all give it up for the little fairy!" After waiting for the applause to die down, he steps back up to the microphone. "Now, what do Pirates, Ninjas, Cyborgs, and Zombies have in common?" Music starts in the background as he pulls the microphone from the stand. "They all like to go drinking with Mr. Jones!"

"Shalalalalalala"

"I was down at the New Amsterdam, staring at this yellow-haired girl
Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation with this black-haired, flamenco dancer
She dances while his father plays guitar
She's suddenly beautiful
And we all want something beautiful

Man, I wish I was beautiful"

As Wally hung his head with the last line, Elleb decided to help out. The only problem was that she barely had enough energy to get an illusion of a shadowy man dancing next to Wally, and it really didn't look real. At least Wally seemed to like it.

"So come dance this silence down through the morning
Shalalalalalala, yeah, uh huh, yeah
Cut up, Maria!
Show me some of them spanish dances
And pass me a bottle, Mr. Jones

Believe in me
Help me believe in anything cause I
Want to be someone who believes, yeah"

Looking out at Chicgeek, Wally mouthed "I believe in you" before getting back to the song at hand.

"Mr. Jones and me tell each other fairy tales and we stare at the beautiful women
'she's looking at you. ah, no, no, she's looking at me.'
Smiling in the bright lights
Coming through in stereo
When everybody loves you, you can never be lonely"

Whirling around and bouncing, both Wally and 'Mr Jones' are singing and dancing blurs of motion. And if Mr Jones' singing sounds suspiciously like bells, well, no one comments.

"I will paint my picture
Paint myself in blue and red and black and gray
All of the beautiful colors are very, very meaningful
Yah, well you know, Gray is my favorite color
I felt so symbolic yesterday
If I knew picasso
I would buy myself a gray guitar and play"

Tracing in the light, Mr Jones plucks a grey gutiar out of the air and passes it to Wally, who proceeds to play away, after looking at it strangely. Those listening closely can hear the bells harmonizing with the music, before seeming to take it over.

"Mr. Jones and me look into the future, we stare at the beautiful women
'she's looking at you. I don't think so. she's looking at me.'
Standing in the spotlight
I bought myself a gray guitar
When everybody loves me, I will never be lonely, I will never be lonely, I said I'm never gonna be lonely"

"I want to be a lion. Yeah, Everybody wants to pass as cats
We all want to be big big stars, yeah but we got different reasons for that
Believe in me because i don't believe in anything
And I want to be someone to believe, to believe, to believe, yeah ah"

As the music slowed down, the illusion of Mr Jones did too, becoming slightly less substantial and making Wally look alone on stage. Just as soon as it did that, Wally picked up the singing and soon enough had Mr Jones dancing back at full speed and full strength.

"Mr. Jones and me stumbling through the barrio
Yeah we stare at the beautiful women
'she's perfect for you, man, there's got to be somebody for me.'
I want to be bob dylan, Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky
When everybody loves you, ah son, that's just about as funky as you can be"

"Mr. Jones and me, staring at the video
When i look at the television, i want to see me
staring right back at me
We all want to be big stars, but we don't know why and we don't know how
But when everybody loves me, i'm going to be just about as happy as i can be
Mr. Jones and me, we're gonna be big stars..."

As the last words rung out, Mr Jones faded back into the air, leaving two very exhausted singers, one fairy and one who's fictional compostion has been noted many times. Letting applause wash over him, Wally turned over to Elleb. "Thanks for the stage effects. That was really cool."

Elleb looked over in puzzlement. "It was fun enough I suppose. But don't be modest, you helped.Didn't you?" She thought about it for a second. "Oh, it's halloween. I suppose it makes sense."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:46 pm 

-David-

Andrew helped him out of the bathroom, his head still somewhat spinny. "So we're at a party... on halloween..."

Andrew nodded. "Yes..."

His hand was still on his head. "Ah..yeah, I kinda remember now... things are still a bit cloudy." He added, as an afterthought "Why does everything bad keep wanting to hit me in the head, anyway?" As Andrew led him over towards a table where he could sit down for a bit, they accidently bumped into Michael.

At first the lad was surprised, but then he started to smile, narrowing his eyes at both of them. "Hmm..." His smile grew downright wicked for a moment, and then he started walking past both of them. "Nah, far too easy." he let them pass, going back to minding his own business for the evening.

Meanwhile, the crowd broke into applause over the musical stylings of Wallycaine and Elleb, who were now taking requests...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 pm 

Chic gives Wally a peck on the cheek. "That was great, you two! "

"Thanks. So, are you going to sing another one?"

"Eh-my mind's blanking out on me. If I can think of one, sure. Hey, you know any good cyborg jager duets?"

Elleb chimes stridently at her. "Sorry, Elleb-I know you haven't finished yet. Maybe when you're ready for a break?"

Chic grins at Wally. "Wouldn't it be cool to get Desius up on the stage? If he ever gets here, that is."

"I think even fairy magic couldn't accomplish that."

"Heh."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:40 pm 

"Ooh, Wally, I thought of the perfect song!" Chic whispers in his ear. He grins back at her."Okay, Em, lets's do it!"
They gleefully take to the stage. The audiance looks puzzled when the first notes start to play-Mary Poppins?

Wally takes the first verse, hamming it up-dancing Chic around the stage.

I love the lab! Ha ha ha ha!
The days fly by in here!
I love the lab!
I'm spending more time here each year!

The more I'm in lab,
The more I'm filled with glee,
And the more the glee,
The more I'm a merrier me! It's true!
The more I'm a merrier me!

Chic twirls merrily, then takes the next verse-

Some people stay in their offices,
Sounding something like this: [snoring noises]
He must have tenure.
Some people relish the cubicle scene
As cogs in a corporate machine:
"Listen, I want those gels on my desk by tomorrow morning!"

Back to Wally-his extravagent motions have the crowd in stitches.

Some work at home:
"Honey, could you pass the sulfuric acid?"
Some work by phone:
"Mr. Epstein, have you considered subscribing to the Journal of Clinical Immunohistocytochemistry? ... Hello?"
Others, they go door-to-door:
"But, ma'am, our centrifuges are a product the whole family can enjoy!"
Yet nothing can quench my esteem for the bench!

Chic sings the last verse-

When a concept excites me,
I can't hide it inside and think,
Hmmm, as the theorists do.
I've got to retreat to that windowless suite
For another assay or two....

Wally and Chic, in unison-

We love the lab! Ha ha ha ha!
The weeks fly by in here!
We love the lab!
We're spending more time here each year!

The more we're in lab,
The better our findings will be,
And the better they be,
The sooner we'll have our degree!

They bow as one to the crowd, arm in arm, before leaving the stage.
Chic giggles, giving him a tight hug. "That was fun! Want to do another one?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:51 pm 

Andrew blinked, watching Micheal walk away.
"Was that.... did that look like Fredric to you?" he asked, perplexed. If it had been anything but a party, he would have taken the time to investigate. But he was distracted by Chic singing, and more so by a sudden sense of... wrongness, somewhere else.
Flashes, impressions- Red, dark, ragged, Night? Something... out. Something that made him remember being small and scared.

The sensations made him swoon slightly, sitting down next to David.
"Oh, dear... I'm sorry, I felt faint for a moment." he looked down and laughed slightly.

"Oh, dear... so much for my costume. I'll need a new one now."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:18 pm 

Amino giggles madly to herself as she watches Dr. Jones running around in circles like a chicken with its head cut off while whistling 'the Star Spangled Banner'. He suddenly convulses and stops, looking around puzzledly as an invisible spectral figure exits his body. "That was hilarious," she congratulates Sarah as the girl materializes next to her.

"Thanks! Who should I possess next?"

"Hmm...oh! That guy over there didn't properly introduce himself to me earlier. Make him do the Macarena!"

"Okay!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 pm 

-Sarah-

"Sure!" She smiled to her new friend and started levitating, and then paused. "Um...but are you sure it's ok for me to possess people like this? Isn't that a bad thing? I remember the angels used to get really angry whenever those guys with horns did it."

Amino looked down. "Do YOU have horns, Sarah?" She watched as Sarah shook her head. "Then it's all right. Now go make him dance!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Elleb-

She smiled and giggled. Music was definitely having a good effect on her, as she started taking off and flying on her own again. She looked over at the Karoke machine, and noticed a certain song that made her get excited. It was perfect! She pressed the button to start the song while Wally and Chic were still on stage, and then darted off into the crowd, returning while holding onto one of Jane Narbon's fingers and tugging her towards the stage. As she coerced Jane to stand next to Chic, the song began and the three started singing it together.

I'm a science genius girl
I won the science fair
I wear a white lab coat
DNA strands in my hair

When I clone a human being
It will want to hold my hand
It will be a member of my band

Scientific method girl
The theorems speak to me
Microscope is in my hand
Times 1, times 2, times3

It will want to hold my hand

1 point 61803398874989484204586834365

Measure out the chemicals
Safety goggles on my eyes
Turn the bunsen burner on
My creation comes alive

I have cloned a human being
It is here and holds my hand
It is now a member of my band
It is here and holds my hand

Elleb smiled and waved as the crowd started cheering excitedly.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 pm 

"Hickory Dickory Dock" he sung on in his twisted sing song, Pausing in front of the door. "The clock goes tick tock."
He grinned as he worked, painting the ground red, and splashing color over the walls.
"The clock strikes one!" he grinned, "We'll have some fun!"
He leapt to the railing, pulling himself upon the eaves as he felt rather then heard the bouncer come out the door.
"What the hell's goin... "the bouncer started before covering his mouth slightly, "... oh dear god." he choked out.
The bouncer felt a tap on his shoulder. Against all his training, against all the rules beaten into him from his years as a henchmen he turned around.

He should have ducked.

"Hickory Dickory Dock."

*Moments later*

He paused, feeling the warmth run down his face. He sighed as he placed the photos all in row.
"well, my dears," he smiled, grinning from ear to ear, "you were always the type to bloom in the rain."
He moved to the door, and he could hear the music from inside, and feel the beat.
"Even when it rains blood." he murmered, almost as an afterthought.
"Well, time to start the show."

The window glass tinkled as it hit the pavement. He swung him self into the unused room, cutting the security cables as he went. The stick of home-brewed explosive wired to a digital timer and wedged against the door ticked down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:25 am 

-Michael-

He smirked as he approached the musician. Michael took a sip of his drink, waiting until the man finished his most recent song. "You know..." he began, pausing to take another sip of his drink. "I'm fairly certain it'd be proud of you, you know."

He turned from Desecration and started to walk away. It was enough of a risk to reveal himself to Frederic... the best he could do was vaguely hint at the Arm's failure to completely die. He admitted that he felt some responsibility to look after DC, but he couldn't be direct about anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Elleb-

She had been enjoying singing with Wally and Chic, but afterwords things were getting rather boring. It was the night of Samhien, and she was somewhat surprised that everything was so tame. She had expected more from the humans somehow, even if their parties could never be as exciting as fairy events.

She drifted away from the general excitement and outside of the club... something interesting was happening somewhere, she was sure of it.

Then she smelled something strange and looked down. "<Oh, a human. Wow...that's a lot of red stuff leaking out of him. It's funny!>" She giggled for a moment. Humans looked weird laying in puddles of red stuff.

Then she started to remember a conversation she had had with her human about the nature of human mortality. She had always KNOWN humans died eventually, but she had never really been sure how it really happened. She distinctly recalled the word "blood" coming up a few times, mostly in relation to red stuff. "<So this hunam's leaking red stuff... so that's blood...so that means...EEEK!>" She took off like a shot, bursting back into the club, accidentally colliding with That Guy's forehead in her rush, and landing in David's hair, where she buried herself, trembling and hiding her face. "<Eeee...eeee....scariee....>"

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:40 pm 

Andrew looked up in shock at Elleb, reaching up and plucking her out of Davids hair.
"Elleb... <Dear, what is is? You sound scared to death!>" he jingled, holding her comfortingly.

At teh word 'death', she jiingled fearfully, explaining rapidly.

"<Outside! Red red stuff, person and and .. gone! It's what happens when the red stuff goes out!!>" she whimpered, hiding her face in his shirt.

"Red... stu- oh dear god. David, someone is either dying or dead outside! She's scared- Fae don't deal well with death." he explained, handing her back and rushing outside. If there was someone.. he could.... help...

He froze, swallowing slightly as he reviewed the damage, a small part of him screaming while the rest of him was detached, evaluating. There was no one there for him to help anymore...

After thinking a moment, he realized that in a few minutes, he would need to take charge... or at least wield enough authority to work this out. Over a crowd of Madmen and Henchmen... he would need a new costume.

The notebook was out, and he scrawled easily. His clothing shifted, writhing, changing patterns and materials. In minutes, he was in a Victorian suit, not unstylish but wrinkled and unkempt- as if the wearer had been up rather late in it, or tramping through the countryside. Over it was a sensible caplet, and a distinct lack of a deerstalker cap.
In his pockets were magnifying glasses, a pouch of distinctive tobacco found only in one shop in England, with a well used pipe.
Someone had been murdered.

The game was afoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:14 pm 

Minerva's giggling a little at Vladimer. But since she's fussing over him, helping to brush off the glitter, he doesn't mind too much...
Chic is kicking back and enjoying herself, sipping something from a beaker.
"This has been so much fun, Wally! We'll have to do this every year."
"Yes, but the invitations were a waste of time weren't they?" He waves his hook to encompass the crowd of gate crashers.
Chic smiles."Why do you think so many people are here? If they thought this was open to all, instead of beliveing it an exclusive event-it'd be so quiet we'd be hearing crickets chirping." She beams.
Women. Mad women at that-go figure.
Jess has rejoined Xerox. "Having fun, punk?" he smirks as he brushes off an errant bit of glitter.
"Heh. I pranked a Viktor-without shapeshifting, even. Life is good." She returns his smirk, then frowns briefly. "Huh. Andy Kaboom just rushed out of here like a bat out of hell. And the look on hero boy's face...something's up, Buttercup."
"Don't call me that! In public, anyway..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 pm 

Xerox sighed, and took out a small vial. He knocked it back- it was the rest of his dose of the Cure for the day. As nice as it was to relax for a few hours, he needed to be clear headed for this...

"Maybe it wasn't anything serious?" he suggested, know as he said it that that was practically the nail in the coffin. Manslaughter 3 if he was *lucky*.

"Nah... he makes the same panicked face Geek does. There's something out there." said Jess, smirking at him as he took out his sunglasses.

"I know... but an old man can dream." he said wearily.

"You're just over thirty." she said dryly, rolling her eyes.

"Pfft. Wreck *that* for me too, will you? Come on... if it *is* something serious, he's gonna be going into Holmes Mode." he said running a hand through his hair as they made their way into the crowd.

"His what?"

"Holmes Mode... it's what he does when he has to deal with a serious crime. Usually he's kinda... I mean, you know him. He's sweet. It makes his life easier, and usually he can get away with it on most of his missions. But every now and then, things go serious, and he can't be like that. So to cope..." he trailed off, opening the doors.

Andrew turned, raising an eyebrow.

"Good to see you, Commander. Jess, you might want to look away. This isn't pretty." he said coolly, expression a little... flat.

Xerox cursed. Holmes mode *indeed*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 pm 

Huh, Mister Tinker has a new costume. Interesting- Victorian suit, caplet, magnifying gla-

Wait a minute. He's not- he is. Sherlock Holmes. *whimper*

"Claire, what's wrong?" Fredric looks at me, startled. I point. He mutters something about 'Holmes mode' and starts to walk toward Mister Tinker. I follow.

Suddenly, a lot of what Uncle Thomas said makes sense. Maybe-

No. Mister Tinker's a friend, and with what Mister Nega-Tinker told me... he is not Holmes.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince him that.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm 

David found himself dragged outside by a suddenly costumed Andrew, a tiny crying fairy having found her way back into his hair. "Umm... so what exactly are we out here to do, anyway?" He shivered as Elleb led them to the body she had found. "Granted, I want to help people as much as anyone else would, but...shouldn't we call the police? Typically according to my Hero's Correspondence Course literature once someone's dead there's very little you can do to help them."

He shrugged and looked down at the body, not entirely sure how to feel. It wasn't that he didn't have sympathy for the person lying there, but he had never been in such a situation before. He had no clue what a proper way to act would be.

It was at times like this he felt less than human. He jammed the feelings back down into the back of his mind. No one needed an angsting hero.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 pm 

"Naked Guy?"

There is no reply. Janitor doesn't dare call out again. Madness knows who or what might triangulate his position from the sound waves. Light's a good idea, but if he repurposes the laser gun, he loses his only real weapon. He deliberates a moment. Another sickly puff of air reaches his nostrils, and he gags, the hair on his arms rising.

It occurs to him that what he thinks is a breeze might actually be something breathing, and he quickly moves to the right. He keeps his hand against the wall, feels about with his other hand for obstacles. After awhile he moves among the shelves (cold metal from the feel of them) and tries not to think of irradiated spiders or singing silverfish.

His hand touches something unexpected. The thing is dead after two shots, but Janitor fires off a few more lasers to make sure. He picks up the carcass, weighs it in his hand.

Ooh, a challenge! What can I make with this?

Before too long Janitor is the proud owner of a calamari gun (he's used the frame of the duck-call gun), and an illuminating laser. He begins to sweep the light across the shelving, searching for other treasures. Furry - or is that moldy? - things scurry into the shadows as the light passes, snarling a vague threat. What do they think they're going to do? he thinks. Give me botulism?

Like many a horror film victim, Janitor fails to look upwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:38 pm 

Andrew surveyed the scene, before turning to David.

"David... find Xerox and get his Police Tape from him. We need to keep people out and... I think Elleb needs to be comforted. Death is a horrible thing to have introduced to you." he said, smiling slightly- he still retained his compassion, after all.

Fredric and Claire caught up to him as David went to find Xerox, Fredric wincing at the blood.

"Gods little fish in trousers- who coulda'...?" he muttered, looking away.

Andrew glanced at them breifly, before walking carefully around the perimiter, scanning for clues.

"Anyone... within certain limits. The blood is fresh, the small amount of drying indicating a short time passing... this happened within the last half an hour, which means we can write off 80 percent of those in the party, for now."

"...Da, are you okay?" he asked, looking carefully at his face.

"Screaming on the inside, Fredric. But someone *did* this, and there is every sign that whoever- or whatever did this may strike again." he said, turning slightly, a breeze blowing his caplet as the moonlight glinted off of his glasses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:58 pm 

Well, I've only got one idea. I hope it works. I bend down, studying the blood and the body.

Arg... anyone else would find this so *easy.* I would have to be the stupid one in the family.

"There aren't any signs of struggle; he was taken by surprise- no mean feat. Look." I point to the side of his head at scar lines almost completely covered by his hair. I continue, flatly. "Club Malevois only hires those that they know can handle Mads. This guy's been experimented on; he must have been a henchman before he came here to work. If he was hired as the bouncer, he must have been well-trained in combat, especially against Mads. His training was probably only slightly inferior to Thaddeus's, even given that he was taken by surprise, he must have been killed with both speed and skill. Whoever did this could probably take out almost anyone at the party." I look at the rest of the scene- certainly horrific.

Mister Tinker looks at me, startled. I glare at him. "What, did you think you were the only one with deductive abilities? Now, I am going to help you, and you are not going to play cold lone-wolf detective! So, what are we going to do before whoever it is strikes again?"

As he and Fredric stare at me, I bend down to examine the body again, trying not to tremble. He's not Holmes. He can't be Holmes.

And it's really not helping that I'm not supposed to be trying to solve a murder. I'm *not* good, I'm *not* a Hero, but I have to do this to help Mister Tinker.

*shudder* It's going to be a long night...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:38 am 

Janitor walks along cautiously searching around him for dangers. Meanwhile on the ceiling the eldritch horror known only as Sweetums stalked its prey.

Skitter skitter skitter

Janitor turned quickly, but could see nothing. He continued his search. Sweetums stalked along quietly.

Sweetums coiled to attack-

-"Look out!" Thaddeus leapt from a tall shelf and caught Sweetums before he landed on Janitor.

Thad knocked Sweetums off its mark allowing Janitor to dodge. They landed on the floor and began to struggle. Thaddeus changed into his wolf form and lashed out at Sweetums.

Sweetums however was still larger than Thaddeus and dominated the fight.

Janitor couldn't shoot for fear of hitting Thad.

Thad meanwhile had managed to get onto what some might call Sweetums' back. Dodging the lashing blows as Sweetums tried to snatch him off its back he clawed his way to the neck-like part.

Once there he scratched at what he assumed were Sweetums' eyes. Sweetums howled in fury. Janitor mesmerized by the fight stood there. Thad changed half back and snarled. "I can't hold it much longer shoot."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 pm 

Andrew sighs, before grabbing Claires collar and suddenly yanking her off of her feet, his best chilling teacher glare operating.
Every man has his boundaries, and Andrew has had one crossed.
He does not appreciate being *managed*- he dealth with that in collage. Like he was some frail, untrustworthy madman.
He was stressed, and had to stop having fun and enjoying time with David for *work*, and this was the last thing he needed.

"How *dare* you reprimand me, Miss Claire. With all due respect to your skills, I am a government agent, and this is my JOB. I can't BE my usual self when faced with a murder, and you need to deal with that for now. I am in a *costume* for the sake of maintaining authority in the eyes of a crowd of madmen who do NOT like being told what to do." he sets her down, easing up on the glaring now that his tirade is out of the way. He sighs, flashing her a quick grin.

"I'll take any help you can get. But please understand that you haven;t known me long, and have never *worked* with me before... I haven't known *anyone* that long yet." he said kindly, understanding.. he was differnt when he was professional. It was ahy he liked his professor job...

From his pocket he produced a pair of gloves and began to examine the carnage... part of why he had shifted hard was because he hadn't seen anything so bad for some time.
Why did people expect him to not act differently? He was human, wasn't he? He had feelings... and he had to repress them every now and then. Because otherwise he would panic, and he couldn't...

Being a Hero meant you never could. Not until you were home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 pm 

"Fine." His argument is logical, and the result is entirely correct. "I can't argue with any of that. I'm sorry you have trouble dealing with this sort of thing, and I thought I could help. It's clear I was wrong. I'm sure you can handle this perfectly well on your own. My deductive abilities are poor as it is, and I doubt they would be of any use to you. Good evening." I glare at him, then whirl and start to walk back into the party. It's not fair to him; he doesn't *know*...

But he can play Holmes all he wants, and solve the mystery. I'm not going to be able to do anything to help. After all, that's his job, and I'm just a hench. Henchs aren't supposed to think, just to follow orders.

I enter the crowded room. Someone approaches me. "Miss, I couldn't help but-" He's cut off as I grab him by the throat and throw him across the room. A couple of people roll their eyes, but beyond that no one seems to care. I need a new costume so those idiots stop bothering me.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 pm 

Before Andrew can respond, Fredric is off, heading back into the party after her. He doesn't need to look twice to know his Da is swallowing down some hurt... and so is he. Dammit, who'd figure they;d be so @#$! alike?

In one quick move he puts his coat over her shoulders and picks her up, carrying her back outside and setting her down next to Andrew, who he turned to.

"Okay, y' c'n hit me now. But please please *please* don' do this. Da, chill 'n take a deep breath, Claire doesn't hate 'cha an' never wanna see you again- by the way, ya need ta talk t' a therapist about abandonment issues." he turned to Claire.

"Claire: Da wasn't dissmissin' ya, an' honestly has no concept of anyone bein' on a lower skill level 'n him. He needs help wit' this,( 'specially since I think I see photos). An' every time he reprimands someone 'e feels bad for *weeks*. " he then turned back to them both.

"Both of Ya: Feel free ta take ten t' get over th' horrific murder site, willya? 'S not pretty. Addendum: Sherlock Homes was just a pretty smart guy who solved crimes an' had a friend who wrote about 'im an' left out all the times 'e tripped an' swore in french." he said calmly, mentally wishing he;d goone and come as the bunny from the Holy Grail.
This had been easier when he was cuter and less likely to get punched.... it was hard to punch a bunny. Bratty teenager who never quite learned tack? Not so much. In fact, likely therapeutic.... and if Xerox had told the truth, Claire could actually dent him.
"*sigh* The things I do for love." he muttered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:08 am 

I wrap the coat around me more tightly. It's cold out, and I think it's starting to rain. I don't want to hit Fredric. I just want Mister Tinker to go back to normal and me to forget everything about Holmes.

"It-it's not the murder scene. I w-wanted to help b-because they don't bother me. But that doesn't work. It never w-works. They always insist on looking anyway and it makes them so unhappy! And Mister Tinker would make such a *good* Holmes, but he can't because then he'd be unhappy!" I shake my head, trying to calm down. "Sorry, Mister Tinker. I wasn't- wasn't leaving you. I'll help. Just tell me what to do." I just need to *do* something, and not think about the situation.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:26 am 

Fredric snorts slightly, taking a micro-fold umbrella out and holding it over the two. Honestly... some people.

Andrew smiles and puts a hand on her shoulder.
"Thank you... that means a lot to me.... about Mr. Holmes and all. I just try to be that smart. Maybe with your help, I can just remember to avoid the antisocial/diassosiative bits." he said, before grinning and handing her a pair of gloves, buttoning the coat on her quickly.

"Now, help me gather these pictures while I record the murder site with my glasses. We don't have much time before the rain washes away the evidence, and we need everything we can get." he said, much more cheerfully.
He can give orders, and do sensible things. That will help a lot... and just knowing someone could help, too.
He understood how much it hurt to make other people see these things... it just lived with you, sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:54 am 

Janitor watches, awestruck, as the naked man changes into a wolf and attacks the - the thing on the ground. The thing that had almost - The new gun is in his hand, but the naked Guy -

The thing howls in pain as the wolf scratches it. The wolf shifts again, bare skin showing through the fur, skull distended and still inhuman, but more familiar now. The naked Guy snarls, "I can't hold it much longer shoot."

Janitor takes aim, and pumps the trigger of the calamari gun. Bits and pieces of laser-fried-octopus pelt the eldritch horror, which proceeds to open its toothy maw and swallow. Its eyes grow back.

"Oops! Heh. Let me try the laser -" Janitor fiddles with the laser gun.

"Now - please!" The naked guy becomes a full wolf again. He has no choice; the thing is redoubling its efforts.

"The coin's stuck!"

"RRRRrrr?"

"I made my laser gun into a flashlight, but the coin I used to jam it won't come out!"

The thing manages to hit the naked Guy. He yelps, but deals another swipe, taking the eyes out of commission again. He glances up, and sees Janitor steadying his aim again... with the calamari gun.

Once again, fried octopus parts hurtle through the air. Once again, the thing snacks on the food, and regains its strength, its eyesight. It rises up, prepares to buffet the exhausted wolf away. Janitor grins as the thing pauses. It looks a bit uncomfortable. Almost as though there's a carnivorous earring chewing through its gullet. But what are the odds of that happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:55 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane ran out of the building, then looked carefully down at the rather gruesome scene, not wanting to get too close. Her mind automatically analyzed the tableau. Unfortunately, it didn't come up with anything that wasn't too obvious. A quick glance at Maria showed she was stumped as well. The two decided to leave it to "Holmes" to solve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:01 am 

That's better, at least. He's more cheerful now. As long as *I* don't do anything stupid, everything should be ok. I'm a hench, Mister Tinker's a Mad telling me what to do. Simple. I put the gloves on.

I start to quickly gather the pictures. Thirteen. I flip through them. This one looks like the dead guy, Miss Chicgeek, Mistress, me, Mister Tinker, Fredric...

"Mister Tinker? If you're done recording the scene, I think you should look at these as soon as possible." Mister Vladimir but not Mister Rasputin? Ingrid but not Dr. Amino?

And how did whoever it was get these pictures?

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:20 am 

Jess bites her lip, then looks at Xerox. "I'd better let the Kid know. And I'm thinking...people are going to start getting curious, the way we've been running out here. You don't need a mob crowding you. Want me to have her get someone on stage again, distract the crowd, while you guys examine the scene?" Her voice is...calm, cool.
"Not a bad idea...you okay, punk?"
'Hmm?" Jess is examing the remains with clinical detactment, careful not to disturb the scene. "Yeah. I'm okay. I can...lock it away for a while."
Then briskly-"Okay, done. If you decide you need me to morph into the body later-get a reaction from someone, whatever, I'm set."
Schooling her face into a neutral expression-and who has more practice than she?-the Chimera walks back inside.
She finds Chic sitting with Wally, still a little giddy over the last round of kareoke. "okay, kid, keep that look on your face, like we're chatting, and listen up. You too, goof."
One grim explanation later-"Okay, I'll provide a distraction. But I don't feel like a comedy song right now. Jess, you still remember that party at Tia Rosa's?"
Jess lip twitches, and she shifts to a slim, male form. "Watch carefully, goof-you were singing about spanish dancing earlier?"
The two take to the stage, and cue up some rhythmic music from the machine. A mad done up as a grinning skeleton waves, and leaps up on stage with them. After a quick whispered consulation-a guitar is produced for him, and the recorded music stops.
Chic calmly faces front, and sings softly but clearly over the mad guitarist.

"El llorar de la guitarra empieza. Las copas de alba son aplastadas. El llorar de la guitarra empieza. Inútil
callarlo. Imposible callarlo. Llora monótonamente como agua llora como el viento llora sobre campos de nieve.
Imposible callarlo. Llora para cosas lejanas. Caliente el sur de arenas que añoran camelias blancas. Llora
flecha sin tarde de objetivo sin mañana y el primer pájaro muerto en la rama. ¡Ah, la guitarra! El corazón
mortalmente herido por cinco espadas."

The beat picks up, and the dancing begins. Jess faces forward, roughly declaiming the translation.
(The Guitar-by Federico García Lorca )

The weeping of the guitar
begins.
The goblets of dawn
are smashed.
The weeping of the guitar
begins.
Useless
to silence it.
Impossible
to silence it.
It weeps monotonously
as water weeps
as the wind weeps
over snowfields.

Heel and toe click, stomp, becoming an additional intrument. Arms move with expresion. The guitar plays faster, and hands start to clap in rhythm.
The crowd stares rapt, as Chimera and Chic elegantly pound out the flamenco. The skeleton's fingers move like lightning over the strings. More hands have picked up the beat, and clap along.
Finish.
The trio bows, leaving the stage to applause. Wally hands each a bottle of water.
Okay, surely that's given Xerox and Andrew time enough...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next