Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Tinker hurried over, tucking his glasses into his coat- the pictures are stored on them, and he doesn't want them damaged.
"What do you... oh, my." he bit his lip, looking the pictiures over.

"This.. could mean any number of things. None of them good. We should get inside- there isn't much to look at, and Xerox is going to be taping the area off." When he said 'taping', he meant, of course, sealing the area in a pocket dimension.
M did not fool around with crime scenes.

Inside there was a private sitting room, which Andrew commandeered, ushering Claire inside. He also took the time to pickpocket Nega-Tinker for his Costume-Ray, handing the ray to Claire. to get out of that silly outfit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:30 pm 

I take the gun with a sigh of relief. Handing Fredric his coat, I make a few changes to the settings and zap myself. Glasses, blouse, skirt. I'm a secretary. Not the most creative, but at least I'm not broadcasting MSBD anymore, and it kind of fits with Mister Tinker's costume. Heh. Good to know I'm finding new and interesting ways to disappoint my parents.

"So... pictures; strange words; murder; mutilation, probably after death based on the blood spray; 'all hope abandon ye who enter here,' I think that's over the gates of Hell..." Suddenly, a thought strikes me. "Mister Tinker, what are we going to do about 'the lights go out, a mysterious scream is heard?' It doesn't seem like this would be the only victim- it's more of an attention-getter, and, at the very least, it seems like someone here should be able to make something so another murder can't take place in the middle of the crowd."

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 pm 

There's a soft knock on the door to the private room Andrew took over as command central. Claire hurries to see who it is, and Chic slips inside.
"Okay, cousin, Jess filled me in. Just let me know what to do. May I see the pictures?"
Chic studies them intently.
Chic, Andrew, Thad, Vladimir, Claire, Prime, Desius, Ingrid, Lady D, Alice, Wally, and Elleb.
"I can make family, or near family connections for about half this list. Other than that-I can't see any connection. Oh-all mads, or working for mads, obviously, but there's got to be some other common denominator here."
She ponders a little more. "Not our mad specialities, not our costumes, we're not all left handed or redheaded or anything like that."
Chic shakes her head, stuck-then a thought comes to her. "You know, every horror flick ever-the lights go out, there's a scream, the lights come on-and someone's dead or missing. I think I'd better check out the junction box, the circuit breakers and make sure they're not tampered with. And to fix it so no one can tamper with them."
Andrew sighes. "And also in those movies, you know what happens when someone goes off on their own, don't you?"
Chic smiles mirthlessly. "I know-tell you what, I'll ask Papa to come with me."
Chic ducks out before Andrew can stop her. The Viktors are lounging at the bar. Minerva's wandered off to speak to an old student.
"Ho, dot vas some pritty fency dancing hyu two vere doink!"
Chic smiles briefly. "Yeah, my tia taught me. But listen-"She lowers her voice."<Papa, I'm going to check the circuit boxes, and Andrew didn't want me to go alone.>" Vladimir is beaming inside-the accent still needs a little work, but she's speaking the old tounge!
Chic flashes a quick grin at him."<Yes, Des and Andrew have been teaching me. But, listen, Papa->" She quickly fills them in on what's happened.
"<So I thought I'd try to make sure no one can fiddle with the lights. Will one of you keep an eye on Minerva while the other makes the rounds with me? Although I pity any thug that crosses her path...>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:15 pm 

Rasputin and Vladimir look at each other, a sort of brief non verbal discussion taking place. Seeming to come to a decision, they nodded briefly. They'd worked together for years- certain decisions came to them easily.

"<Rasputin stays, I find Minerva and inform Ethan. Good luck, Princess.>" said Vladimir, kissing her forehead- he meant every word of that.

Rasputin walked with Chic to the circuit box, looking thoughtful.
"<I am glad you are learning the Old Tongue... I speak better in it.>" he said, adjusting the goggles on his head.

"<I noticed. What do you think of the murders.>"

"<Mmm, this sort of thing happens. Is sad- I don't approve of slaughter... we have spent many days stopping people who are such.>"

"<Isn't that hero Wo->"

"<No, is different! Honest.>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:41 pm 

Andrew looked at the pictures, running through every possibility.
"Every photo was at the crime scene, many of them weighted down by the body. The killer, if we assume the killer placed them, wanted us to draw a conclusion, real or faked, from them. Even if they are a distraction, we may still draw a clue from them." he said, thinking to himself.

"....Is there anything we can spell with the names? A shared theme? What about the backgrounds of the photos... the angle, anything."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:45 pm 

Chic finishes her work-there! No one will be messing with it now! Then she smacks herself on the forehead.
"<Uncle, you may call me dumkopf now.>"
He smiles slightly. "<Heh-like poppa, like daughter? What is it?>"
"<Something simple. Here I think of this, but not that all anyone would have to do is just flip a light switch.>"
"<Ah, well, this was still worth doing. We'll make a circuit of the party room-fix the switches, and look for anything suspicious while we're at it.>"
Chic grins at him. "<Thanks, Uncle. As long as we're back here, we should check the back door, and windows.>"
The two move swiftly. They know time is running out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:38 pm 

"There's a 50/50 split between Mads and non-Mads, odd given that most of the people here are Mad except all those idiot Heroes running around, and they're all people here, except for Desius. He said he was coming, though. I think he's just late. I don't think any of them are from the Nega-verse, but isn't Elleb from Someplace Else originally? As far as spelling something... aacccdeiptvw, plus a letter for the dead guy... or should we use last names? First *and* last names? What about titles? There are so many possibilities. What is the dead guy's name, anyway?"

I sigh. There's just so much data. Given the subjects of the photographs, though... why Elleb? Why not Fredric or Mistress? I pick up the photo of Alice- I don't really know that much about her. "Do you know anything about this person? If we're trying to find a link between the subjects of the pictures, I'd like to know more."

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 am 

Jess returns to command central. "Hero boy, I may be way off here, but..."She shakes her head.
Andrew sighes. "Spit it out-any idea, no matter how far fetched, could be useful."
"Well...I can't get around about how almost half these names are connected with you and the kid. Em, her dad, both her cousins, your hench, her boyfriend-what if one of you is the target, and the other names just there for misdirection?"
Andrew ponders. "Then why not Rasputin, or Minerva? They'd fit that senario more than Thad, for example."
Jess rubs the back of her neck. 'Yeah, I told you it was far fetched, didn't I?"
Andrew rubs his eyes. "And her uncle has been locked up. I can't think of anyone else who would hate her enough for...this."
Jess stills. "I can..."
He looks at her.
"Her, I guess you'd have to call him her stepfather, now. If she refers to him at all, it's as 'that sociopath'....Nah, he's safely locked up too, so that idea's a wash."
She sighes. "Back to the drawing board. There's got to be some connection here we're overlooking, but what?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:17 am 

Jess turns to Andrew again. "So let's go with the obvious. Twelve pictures, in a circle around this poor guy. They're hours. A clock. And the rhyme-"Hickory Dickory Dock."
Andrew continues. "The mouse-our perp?-ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and down he runs, hickory dickory dock."
"So-again, obvious, but something set to happen at one a.m.? Combine with the abandon hope written over the door-no hope for anyone inside, perhaps? Hero boy, you've arranged it so no one's coming or going, right? Well, as much as we can in a room full of people with teleporters and other mad devices. I think it's time for a full search of the place. And to gather up our stars of the photo shoot, to keep an eye on them."
Jess ponders. "Okay, we've got me, Xerox, you, David,Fredric, Chic, Wally, Jane, Claire, the Viktors. Maybe get the Tinkers, Minerva and her sidekick, and Ethan? Between us, we should be able to divvy up into teams and do a sweep. How's that sound, Sherlock? And btw, you don't know of any mads with a time or knife motif, do you?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 am 
Hyperkeeper

***PAUSED***

This thread has been paused, awaiting the return of Desius. Who is the culprit? What hijinks will play out as the party concludes? Just how well do Jane and Maria Narbon work together? Find out...

SOOOOOOON!!! (bwa ha ha ha haaaaaaa.....)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9