Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Sci Notebook
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:05 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Money, hmm? Okay-I've always seen Chic as not having to worry about money. In one of the first tales of madness, I had her parents arguing about college. But that was more about permission for a minor than money. There was a line about how 'that patent would have paid for it if you hadn't 'invested' it for her!" So yeah, patent income. And inheritance from her mother. The Lopez weapons firm has been around for a loooong time, cheerfully supplying both sides of any conflict you can think of. She helped Jane run a scam mostly for amusement, and because her friend needed a hand.
Jess-is a very good spy/thief. A lot of money is stashed away for a rainy day-various bank accounts/safety deposit boxes/very mysterious other places. Even if a stash is found and looted(unlikely) it won't wipe her out.
Minerva has a knack for finding jewel encrusted sacrificial knives, and other such geegaws while she tracks down a story-plus her inheritance from her parents, and a good salary from the university.
Farnsworth? Good university salary, and the occasion adventure with Minerva. Plus he's quite the expert on ancient Rome, ect-quite in demand as a consultant. He only takes consultant work if it's interesting. If someone offers him a lot of money for a boring difficult job-probably he'd turn it down. Historians don't like it when you upset their pet theories, he's discovered.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm 

Xerox: Heh. Oh, yeah. I remember. Besides, you're registered as a Sidekick here... pity you diddn't do the paperwork yourself. Maybe you would have seen the fin print about employment.
Next I'll get that damn Micheal brat.... I figure he might go for the Holmes Hook.

------
Wow. I hadn't expected to start a trend, but I *am* delighted! So much so I'm adding another wing to this... Family Cash.

The Viktors
The Viktors are Old Villains, and Old Money. Liquid funds aside, the sheer worth of the accumulated Art pieces, treasures, and most importantly inventions. Sure, the Eye of Bahk Mall is a diamond the size of a volley ball, but that dosn't even *compare* to the Vocal Harmonic Transfer Device.
Purely money wise, being long-loved gives you the benefit of having a lot of time to learn how to invest. Dr. Viktor backed a lot of new technology over the years, which adds up pretty good.

The Twins are Independent from their father, but they have their inheritance, and have saved up from jobs over the years. Currently they're negotiating a semi-permanent contract with Ethan Entropy, which has them sitting pretty well.
Another note here is Chic, who is a Viktor as well. Her grandfather has spent some time putting together a set of heirlooms to be hers *now*, let alone what's writ in the will. For instance, there's this set of Notes he happens to have...

The Tinkers
The Tinkers are, in fact, the Viktors but it is worth to note here the familly assets.
The Tinker Twins do pretty well- years of adventures leave you with some pretty good treasures and rewards. They've always kind of gotten along day to day, getting by otherwise with reward money or sales from the cartoon series and comics.
But this has begun to change with the arrival of the Baby- they can't just dart around the globe as they like anymore, and are settling a little more in Xylon city now. And they need to be a little more stable financially...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:38 pm 

Sarcastic: You'll also note that I didn't actually SIGN anything, Roxy. *Grinned and winked* Nothing's legal 'till you got my sig on the dotted line, right?

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm 

Xerox: ... really? Then I guess Andrew must have either slipped on your signature onto this set of forms, or else snuck it under your nose in classroom. *holds up papers* Seriously, kid. How many papers did you miss or what? Andy gets pretty damn vindictive about that stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:32 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Say, I was just thinking... how do our negaverse counterparts make their money? I know Jane already did hers, but without further ado...

alt-SoItBegins
...makes money the same way his counterpart does. Good times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 pm 

Very Well!

Nega Tinker:
Rules the Freaking World.

Edit:
Negas Freddy, Xerox, and 'Saya' (n=Tsurugichi)
Employed by or related to the RULER of the freaking WORLD.
Although it should be mentioned that Freddy's allowance has been docked for 'improper aspirations of ill aligned fraternization'.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Janet Torvalds:
She keeps very little money. Her collective income is just enough to eat, though she does stash some away for the occasional caffeinated product or paperback book.

Dr. Derek Gluon and Trebaruna Quark:
The pair do pretty well on their own. Their plots themselves don't make them a lot of money. Derek gets some money for advertising on a massive crossover fansite he maintains. Trebaruna disappears once in awhile and reappears with suitcases full of unmarked cash.

Negaverse Janet:
Rich. Owns a rising company specializing in janitorial services. However, much of the money is quietly invested in her own private projects.

Negaverse Derek and Trebaruna:
Underlings of Negaverse Janet. They're paid well to stay loyal.

"It sure is, my little echinoid. It sure is."
"No. I mean, literally. That's fictional."
"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 am 

Rose: Has money. Lots of it. Most of it comes from partial ownership of a variety of unconnected companies, all of which produce fairly advanced tech.
nJennifer: The same as Rose, although most of the stock isn't in her name and can't be traced back to her. The other members of the Nova family are pretty much the same.

The Umbra family (which I forgot to do the first time around): Have *many* sources of income. The known ones include holding cities for ransom with really big death rays, often without telling anyone (yes, it is possible to do that- it just requires making sure military intelligence sees the right things, and then sending ultimatums), stealing from high-profile banks in embarrassing enough ways that it's generally hushed up (at one point, one of them put the money back, told the bank manager to increase the security, then came back the next week and stole it all again), and, inexplicably, selling spy gadgets to interpol, because "it's more fun that way." Which money belongs to whom in the family is a bit questionable, because they all seem to enjoy stealing it from each other. They don't really seem to do much with the money, although it moves around enough that it's fairly difficult to keep track of.

Jennifer: In all honesty, about half of the really weird, mysterious stuff we do is just for the fun of it. I mean, the interpol agents are just so adorable when they're all confused...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:47 pm 

nZobot: He's married to the friggin ruler of the world. There's very little he'd actually NEED money for that he couldn't either take or try to seduce his significant other into getting/giving him.

nZobot:
I take offense to that!

ANYWAYS... even if he didn't have that connection, he'd probably have any number of ways of getting/stealing money. So he'd be hardly financially troubled.

nMichael:
He might be able to MAKE money, but while he was alive before in all honesty he couldn't help but keep giving it to people in need. It was that darned Robin Hood syndrome...

Sincere Male PC: Due to his rank as nZobot's lacky, he's pretty much set financially. Although he isn't allowed nearly as big a weaponry budget as he might like.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 am 

And now... because 2 people have asked about it, I present something I call: [i]Flux, Unraveled. With a guest speaker, Flux![/i]

Flux: Are you sure there aren't any doctors invited to this shindig? This seems like the sort of event they'd come to, and they always make me nervous. What with their knives, and scalpels, and teeny tiny little rubber hammer thingies...

Yes, Flux, I'm sure. In fact....

*Somewhere, miles away, in an unassuming broom closet inside M... Mr. Harp opened his eyes to find himself tightly bound in several places, blindfolded, and gagged, without any legitimate explanation for how he got there.*

Mr. Harp: Mmmph! Mmmmph!

I've taken steps to ensure that there won't be anyone here to creep you out. Anyways, let's get down to the brass tacks. First off, how is Flux different from a human? It's been mentioned before that he's a human/alien hybrid, and also that he has 3 parents... so what's up with that? How exactly does it work? And for that matter, can we avoid making an explanation of it sound dirty?

Flux: Eh, I found the birds and bioluminescent energy beings talk rather boring when I first got it. I just don't see the appeal.

Flux has two human parents, who for the purposes of all future conversation will be known as Robert and Anna. Like two humans have a tendency to do, at at least one point they mated, and on that day Anna conceived. The specific details of this mating aren't really anything worth noting... most humans already know the mechanics. However, during the 9 months while Anna was with child, a 3rd entity became involved. This being had no physical matter, and almost no density in our region of existence. But it could manipulate energy at the most basic levels.

Flux: Try not to think about this too hard or your head'll pop.

Anyway, this being subtlety altered Flux's genetic structure in certain ways while he was in his most formative years, adding on an additional helix of information that resulted in drastic changes in how the baby turned out. At this point, you might be asking yourself "Why?" Lotsa reasons! But we'll get to those later. Anyway, it was to both Robert and Anna's surprise when their baby was born with olive-green skin and bright, pupilless eyes. The word "Demon" may have been thrown about a bit, and some people in white robes and rubber gloves MAY have tried to do things with scalpels that they probably shouldn't have done to babies.

Flux: Ah *sniff* Memries, Like the corners of my mind...

The fact that he survived his first 12 years of life is either a miracle, or a sign of some higher power working overtime. In any event, Flux did survive. Now let's elaborate further on the nature of Flux's powers. It has been said before that Flux exists in two different universal sets at once. Flux possesses the power to divide his consciousness between two different points, projecting an avatar of himself to another point while his real body remains at it's origin point. For all intents and purposes the avatar is Flux, with the exception that when the avatar is killed/destroyed its consciousness just reverts back to Flux himself. The advantage of this is that Flux and his avatar can switch positions by folding space/time. This produces an effect similar to teleportation. However, the process is imperfect, which explains the delay in Flux's method of jumping. It also provides Flux with a handy body double: should he actually encounter something dangerous that he can't get out of, he can usually swap places with his avatar and have it absorb the blow. Flux cannot, however, create multiple projections of himself at once, mostly due to the human side of his nature. It's simply too hard for him to do. If he ever tries his current avatar will explode and he'll just get something similar in condition to a hangover. Flux also has the ability to alter his current velocity while teleporting, (Unlike, say, Nightcrawler) which he uses creatively to help him while fighting. (Mostly to add additional force to his attacks, or to slow himself down if he's hit towards a wall or something.) Beyond this, he possesses no further powers really worth noting, and is actually physically weaker than an ordinary human.

Flux: I DO possess the power to make sound effects, however.

Now onto Flux's physiology. The color of Flux's skin is actually due to the fact that he's got photosynthetic skin. Like a plant, he can absorb light from the sun and produce calories from it. However, this process isn't nearly as efficient in Flux as it is in a plant, and he can't actually survive on just it alone. But it can allow him to live longer without food than an ordinary human can. Flux doesn't seem to have blood, but he does have a similar fluid that provides a similar service for his body. He also has surprisingly different set of organs. (For future reference: If for some reason you ever have to operate on Flux, DON'T touch the things that look like kidneys. You'll release enough heat energy to blow your head off.) What looks like "hair" growing out of his skull are actually strands of fine copper, which his body naturally produces as a byproduct. He can exert a marginal amount of control over it mentally to shift it into different styles and hairdos. Being partially human, Flux is capable of human reproduction, but he also possesses a slightly different secondary form that hides any external sexual organs. Due to the nature of his third parents being sexless, Flux doesn't identify with any sort of orientation, and is a virgin due to lack of interest.

Flux:
Meh, it's just pairbonding.

Well, that's all we've got. I hope you enjoy this fillertastic look at one of the strangest of the 10 Gentlemen.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:51 pm 

Mr. Wicket: Hmm.... interestin'. *takes notes*. Remind me an' I'll see about putting on the Notes from Agent Ichor sometimes. Funny thing there, is he dosn;t really have what we could rightfully rffer to as 'lungs' exactly.

Agent Ichor: Pfft. Inefficient systems, anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:01 pm 

Flux: Wait... aren't we forgetting something?

Ah...yes. Thank you, Flux! We neglected to note the reasons for Flux's unique birth. Flux's third parent is a member of a species of beings believed to be from a separate universal set defined as having different "rules" than our own. (For example, the laws of physics as we know them might not be the same in that set of universes.) This species seems to be able to move between universes in a way very similar to the manner Flux does, and upon discovering our Universal set they seem to have taken an interest in humanity, although their motives and desires are unknown. There have been several unconfirmed sightings of these creatures in modern history, mostly described as "little green men." although there has never been any legitimate proof supporting any of these early sightings. If statements Flux has made over his life as a superhero are any indication, they seem to desire to keep Humanity safe, although safe from WHAT is again, up for debate. Given the familiarity that Flux seems to have on the subject, it seems that he has been in contact with his other parent race at least once, if not more than that. However, he may not necessarily be on the best of terms with them, as when asked about them he was once quoted as saying:

Flux: "When faced with the choice of giving me a baffling set of clues, or a simple bit of advice, or a straight answer, or even a freaking WEAPON of some sort to help me along, they wouldn't take more than a SECOND to decide." Yeah... that pretty much sums it up.

Regardless of his feelings on the matter, it seems that Flux mainly concerns himself with battling alien species (or entities from outside our home dimension) with malevolent intentions towards humankind. It has been more or less unanimously believed by those people who think about such things that that is the reason he was created in the first place, although no one's ever STATED such directly.

And NOW we're done.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:33 pm 

Xerox's Humanity or Lack Therof

I t has long been an unexplained fact that some event caused Xerox's hair to go green, his eyes to go purple, and his humanity to be somehow damaged. All that is known is that the hair and eyes were separate incidents.

How did it happen? He dosn't like to talk about it. But I *can* explain the effects.... and even the colors.

For one thing, his metabolism is an interesting subject- the amount of sugar and caffeine he ingests *should* be giving him extreme health problems. Instead, they seem to be all that keeps him going.
Upon examination, it was discovered that his metabolism is dramatically fast- a consumed meal is digested with almost no loss of energy. Sugar and Caffeine just happen to be to his taste, and help to keep him going.
An added side affect is that he is a cheap drunk.

And as well, he has a low-level regeneration power. Bruises and cuts heal within a matter of hours. Broken bones and major cuts heal within days. In one marked incident, he regrew his *eyes* after a major injury, over the course of two months.
Here we must note that they grew back *purple*.

The change in hair color occurred after a mission that ended in him acquiring a great deal of non-severe first and second degree burns-loosing most of his bodily hair in the process.
It *all* grew back green.

Although some of his more... enthusiastic employees were disappointed to hear it, Xerox refuses to experiment just what this development means. And seeing as how he has yet to sustain a injury too severe since then, we may never know just what else could happen.

... although, if one source who wished to remain anonymous is to be believed, apparently he has a patch of skin on his lower back that is blue.

Xerox: Goddammit, Jess...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:27 pm 

Because it keeps coming up...

DAVID'S TRIP TO THE ALTERNATE FUTURE, EXPLAINED!

I'll take those screams of agony to mean you're all excited to hear about this exciting topic!

First off: The Cause!

David originally got catapulted into this odd distopian future in an attempt to reconfigure an empty computer casing into an automatic toppings dispenser to compliment his first Ice Cream Machine. Longtime players in the game may recall David's Ice Cream Machine had the unfortunate side effect of making whoever tasted of it's work's deepest dreams come true, for good or for ill. So it's no surprise that his SECOND attempt at building something was similarly malfunctioning. In this case, the Toppings Dispenser turned out to also sort of function as a very strange operating time machine: it sent people to the future, but to a future they're not directly involved in. (Imagine if people just suddenly vanish out of the time stream, and history goes on without them) Of course, the reason the device is unstable is because it has a tendency to send anyone who TOUCHES it into a future like that. David managed to get it to calm down by setting it off the "Chocolate Sprinkles" setting, but it's still dangerous, so much so that he's afraid to go near it. (And rightly so) It currently resides in the corner of his shop, where it tempts people to try and ask for crushed up peanut butter cups.

David ended up in a horrific future: Desius had tried to take over the world, and failed stupendously. Zombies led by a dimensional interloper (Zombie Lagos) had taken over most of Europe. Sentient giant gerbils were controlling the rest of that continent. And nTinker, who had entered into this realm's future to follow Zombie Lagos, had taken over the remains of the human civilization in an attempt to preserve some sort of order. David, in the end, ended up fighting all 3 factions at various times.

I was planning on going into more detail about this, but I can't think of anything else right now. So this is TO BE CONTINUED!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 am 

Miscellaneous Facts
Random facts about various characters that I've never bothered to consolidate. Yet more evidence of my lazy sort of writing. Neh, it's all there in my head, but trying to put it on paper... such a bother. :D
That reminds me.. I need to do another 'Character History-Abridged!'. Bothersome...

So, without further ado... random facts about Fredric

Fredric
* Walks on his toes a lot, and is super embarrassed if you point it out to him.

* at this point, if he isn;t wearing his glasses than he might walk into a telephone pole or such. So despite his annoyance, he has to wear his little glasses more.

*Is actiually pretty bad at video games, but he likes to try and play some of them because he gets wrapped up in the story.

* Despite the best efforts of his fellow employees of the gaming shop he works at, the most he;ll do with a trading card deck is stack it into an intricate tower.

* The place he works is the Illuminati Game Shop, and he's on shift with four other people. All girls.
** Elizabeth, Age 24, aka 'Auntie'. Manager of the shop, she has a shrewd business model of hiring Moe-Moe type workers, hence Fredric. A business person who uses her bust for evil.
-Amy, Age 13. Elizabeth cousin, which is why she can work there despite being underage. Tiny, adores Anime and superheroes, treats Fredric like her own personal dress-up doll. She dosn;t mean any harm by it- but there are times where she seems uncannily aware of her own cuteness.
-Jeannie, age 19. Actually already knew Fredric- her uncle works at M in the hacker cave. A very casual sort of person who does absolutely nothing to stop Amy from tormenting Fredric. Very zen sort of artest type.
-Leela, age 17. English. Daughter of a line of geeks dating back through generations. Only barely escaped being named Carrot by being born a girl instead. Harpo Marx's female counterpart, defends Fredric from Amy and bonds with him over fine English geekery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:49 am 

Note to self: if I ever have a year or so-there's a manga there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm 

That Guy wrote:
Note to self: if I ever have a year or so-there's a manga there.

Hey, I''d be happy to write for that! I always mean to put in more about Fredric at the shop. I like making fun of Fredric for being so damn Moe. He's a blonde, scruffy haired teenage boy with big blue eyes, wings, bunny ears, and a punky outfit style.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:23 pm 

I would do the manga, but I want to improve as an artist before starting something. I have trouble drawing people. I want to make them square because I'm much better at drawing angular things.

By the time I'm prepared for something like that though we'll have forgotten it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:26 pm 

What, you kidding? I hold on to ideas for *years*. I've had one since I was ten! I'll hunt ya down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 pm 

Whoops! Please Delete!

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:33 pm 

Miscellaneous Facts!

Today.. little weird things about our favorite lime-head.
Random Facts about Xerox

*Every time one of his employees is in traction, Xerox does a full Rosary. Broken leg, coma, sick, doesn't matter. If a member of M is down, Commander xerox will do one Rosary, in his words, 'as needed'. He carries his on one wrist sometimes, an it;s appearance is a signal to M that the Commander is worried.

*On a similar note, he still maintains pretty friendly contact with the priest of the church he grew up with. Father Benjamin is a very kind, wise man and has been responsible for giving Xerox a lot of good advice- although, Xerox kinda wishes he'd stop asking to meet Jess.
Not that he's embarrassed, or that Father Benjamin would mind any aspect of their relation- on the contrary, Father Benjamin is very supportive. It's just that the moment they start swapping stories the most embarrassing hour of his life will begin.

* The story of his parents meeting and falling in love is very popular at M, but it;s almost impossible to try and explain to anyone with an active 'weirdness censor'.

*Xerox has a little glass case in his office marked 'break In Case of An Emergency'. It contains an elephant gun, a fedora, a trench coat, and a pair of boots that go up to his knees with 4' inch platforms designed for any terrain.

*There's another glass 'In Case of Emergencies' box he had installed by his chair for official meetings in Washington with a collection of his favorite comics, an iPod, and an assortment of sock puppets. Unfortunately, the President keeps breaking into it before he has a chance to, and she always takes the best sock puppets.

* Although, on the plus side their spontaneous performance of 'Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead' got a standing ovation from Congress and John Stewart gave it 5 stars.

* Even though he can recover from any injury (slowly), he's got a bum knee. The right one is always kind of messed up, and it hurts whenever he runs for more than a few feet and, sometimes, if it's going to snow. He makes a point of not telling people, because he knows that they will try to get him to stop running around all the time.

* Although he's still pretty subdues even after his SMRD activated, when he let Harp and Wicket track his brain activity during a Moment his readings were about as high as they would be for someone screaming about building a kumquat army would be.

* He never did end up going to Prom, and he actiually kind of regrets it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Alt-Jingleheimer-Schmitz(If anyone cares): Are an alien holodeck repair group specializing in educational programming. For when you need really, really accurate video game physics. They remain genetically human thanks to their ancestors, whose ship crash landed on Earth and was mistaken for an island of fae by the fecund locals. Because Earth is not yet a part of the Rocket Society, they are considered to be a primitive species in appearance and are given about the same respect as a talking cat working in a computer store. They are currently working on an "uplift" program for holodeck and hope someday to abduct normal earthlings, educate them, and reintroduce them into the population until they meet the standards of society.

However, they are unaware (and being kept in the dark) about the real reason Earth is not allowed in the Rocket Society. Oh, its not something Nega-Tinker or any evil alternate did. Actually its a problem with our early space program. You see, the society always tries to establish psychic contact with the first species to escape into orbit. However, the first species to go into space weren't human beings, they were lab animals.

Maintaining the psychic link ,the Rocket Society observed that the humans who actually built the rocket could not understand the creatures and therefore could not ask permission or gain consent. And any species which so exploits another species, especially as close a genetic relative as the space chimps, could not be permitted into a multi-species cooperative like the Rocket Society. We were labelled as Class-C Potential Xenophobic Species with Martians being Class-A.

Meanwhile, this Nega-Verse so the Rocket Society has to be evil. The first step after a species is labelled PXS is to strip the moon and the closest planets of anything of value. Without high-value resources or inhabitable spaces in which to process the crude resources, space programs are no longer lucrative. The only people who remain interested in it are pure thinkers and idealists who aren't really part of society at large. It is presumed that these individuals will band together once the planet becomes too "polluted" and escape into space. If Earthlings attempt to build a colony on Neptune, they are no longer "Earth"lings, but Early Neptunians, and therefore it is permissible to contact colony ships.

Because they have an "acceptable" form of communication, any other contact can be made illegal. Also that sole form of contact is tightly regulated to ensure the "colony ship" is not a prison barge on its way to exile. Most colony ships are actually taken in (i.e. put to work) under the guidance of established Rocket Society planets. Terraforming or otherwise "farming" a planet of developing sophonts is the criteria of Class-B PXS, and species found to be xenophobic after gaining acces to the Rocket Society are Class-S, the most scarring of the brands.

But what do you expect? Its an alien conspiracy full of corrupt government officials.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 pm 

I care... I wanna hear more, Jing!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:02 pm 

Today, on...

Professor Zobot Explains, well, SOME of it anyway...

We will be discussing another member of the 10 Gentlemen, one of the larger unchecked evils in the modern world, the Incubus Malachi! With our special guest, Mister "Hellfire and Brimstone" himself!

Malachi: I would ask you kindly to cease and desist trying to besmirch my good name by likening it to a those infernal beings.

Ah yes, that. The first detail people should know about Malachi is that most people don't actually KNOW he's a demon. Malachi is very, VERY old. He's been walking the Earth since before M was formed, and even before the United States were colonies of England. He has spent nearly all his time since first being summoned to this land in human guise, roving the land and enjoying the pleasures of the flesh while leading mortals into sin. Malachi has more or less evaded detection by forces that would see the world rid of him by not getting himself entangled in the typically grandiose plans typical of other demons, and by keeping his OWN wicked deeds small and focused.

Malachi:
I admit to nothing, and lies and slander are all you have. Besides, if your mortal policing agencies tried to track sexual sins like they do crimes, they'd never NOT be understaffed.

So suffice to say, for most intents and purposes, Malachi is typically considered a human. He's not on record as being a supernatural entity by most offices, including M and B-SEM, (The Bureau of Supernatural Entity Management, a British agency similar to intent to M but much less funded and considerably more draconian than it. The way I see it, M is an agency created to deal with Mad Scientists that occasionally deals with supernatural entities purely as a matter of necessity, whereas B-SEM is nearly the exact opposite in that regard. It's also really why they're so pathetically under-funded: In a world of high-technology and Mad Scientists it's a bit hard to be taken seriously when you say your job is to deal with vampires, rogue magicians, and the occasional Supremely Ultimate Evil. They don't have the funds to do a very good job worldwide, but they do the best job they can.) and has taken considerable pains to avoid being noticed by such entities. These measures include avoiding people smart enough to possibly see through him-

Malachi: Such as M Commander Primary Xerox, whom I have never met and have no desire ever to meet. Not that I'm admitting to anything, mind you. I merely don't like what I've heard of the man. He sounds like SUCH a stuffed shirt...

-and by remaining in human form almost exclusively. Now let's mention the people who DO know of Malachi as a demon: In this age, the number of those people can be counted on 2 hands: The other 9 members of the Ten Gentlemen, mostly due to Tsubaki, and a single man named Dr. Faustus in Wyoming.

Malachi: No relation to THAT Dr. Faustus, incidentally.

Oh, there are other people that might be SUSPICIOUS, but anyone else who knew of his true nature he's either outlived or killed at some point during his long, long time on this earth. In public society, Malachi appears as a handsome young playboy, somewhat of a hedonist, who plays at being good natured and regularly contributes to a number of good causes. He attempts to set a good example for other people, and in every circumstance other than the pleasures of the flesh he's above reproach. "Malachi" is not his real name, but rather the most recent one he has taken over the years: whenever he feels his human persona is growing too old, he "kills" it off and adopts a new one, usually a "son" of the previous identity that was concieved out of wedlock. Given his level of personal hedonism, it's fairly easy for most people scrutinizing his falsified background to believe that he has been responsible for the birth of many children, lending credence to his new identity. Now then, due to the contract we had to sign to get Malachi to agree to speak here-

Malachi:
Heh heh heh.

We will not be talking about Malachi's "hypothetical" true demonic form. But as "Malachi", the member of the Ten Gentlemen, he professes to be a human with fire-based powers. His superhero codename is "Pyroclasm" although he almost never uses it. He definately possesses more powers than merely those of control over fire, but he seems reluctant to use them and tries to avoid doing so whenever possible. It IS known that he can shapeshift to some small extent: He can take on the form of any male human of any age, race, ethnicity, and size. An unusual quirk of his nature is that he cannot take on a female form; he is a literal manifestation of Male Lust and Female Desire, and as such any attempt to change his gender will ultimately not succeed: Transmogrification rays will just not have any effect, or possibly even just conveniently jam before firing: Magic that would alter his shape will not work.

Malachi:
I'm all Man.

Malachi is, as an Evil Outsider, subject to some unique rules that ordinary mortals are not obliged to follow. He cannot enter any holy sanctuary (well, he CAN but he'd regret it almost instantly) and a holy symbol held by someone who actually believes in it's symbolism will keep him at bay for a brief period of time. (Although it will NOT protect someone from him for long if he's committed to getting at them.) Anything that can affect most devils will affect him, but as Malachi is a Greater Demon he is considerably more capable than most. Malachi is difficult to get rid of: Destroying his physical form won't kill him, but rather just banish him back to Hell.

Malachi: Which I don't want to have happen anyway. After all the good I've done recently I imagine that Satan (Also known as Lady Morningstar) wouldn't be happy with me. Until I finish my master plan about 945 years from now, I need to remain on Earth.

There WAS a book that existed once, back in the dark ages, that detailed how to summon and unsummon Malachi, but this book and all the unique knowledge in it, has been lost to time.

Malachi: Lost to time my non-existent cloven feet! I destroyed that book and the foolish man who BELIEVED he could control me.

The only other book that detailed any sort of magical ritual that has any sort of direct power over Malachi, (Specifically, how to summon and entrap a random Greater Incubus and how to forge a contract with them in return for their freedom and a service) was the Neoncromnicon, which was eaten by a small bunny and thus the knowledge of that spell is also lost for all eternity. Even if it were not, the Neoncromnicon did not contain the spell needed to banish such a Greater Incubus back to Hell afterwards, so it's use is dubious at best. Malachi, like all Incubi, possesses a singular weakness that they in general try to keep people quiet about: A weapon forged of pure silver that has been owned by the same family for 3 generations (The silver, not the weapon), and that has had prayers to a benevolent deity uttered over it for no less than 24 days and has also been recently touched by the tears of a young, nubile virgin maiden has the ability to utterly destroy his physical body in a single blow. As you would expect, he's not very willing to talk about the subject. Weapons forged of Cold Iron will also harm him normally, although most other mundane weapons will not have any REAL effect on him unless they hit very, VERY hard.

Although we've been painting a bit of a bad image of Malachi in this segment, it is possible we've been a bit too hard on him. For the past 20 or so years since adopting his new persona as "Malachi" he has done nothing but Good; He's funded charities, helped homeless, instructed people on ethics, and saved a large number of lives. He's formally registered as a Superhero (Although he might have lied a LITTLE bit on the paperwork, but who would be able to prove it?) and aside from a tendency to be very sexually active, has done almost nothing wrong and broken no laws.

Malachi: I don't even kill, unlike Radiant. Well, unless I have no other choice, anyway.

We hope you've enjoyed reading about the most hedonistic of the Ten Gentlemen. Or, if you DIDN'T enjoy it, we hope you've at least been able to tolerate it. Thank you and goodnight!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:26 pm 

The thing about a piece of silver being owned by the same family for three generations? Define family. The Guy's have silver in the family vault that has been there for centuries.

So how far does the whole family thing extend? Is it a specific amount of genetic relation, or is it the knowledge of relation or the degree of emotional connection? Don't just say the same family because if someone was smart enough they could invoke the concept that we're all related.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 pm 

That Guy wrote:
The thing about a piece of silver being owned by the same family for three generations? Define family. The Guy's have silver in the family vault that has been there for centuries.

It's a bit of a tricky thing to pin down, but the general gist of it is a direct correspondence to bloodline. Magic-y stuff is funny that way. Technically, the legends that describe such things would probably say something like "Prior held by the father, and the father's father before him." but it doesn't matter which parental line it came from previously. It just has to have been directly passed down to you from one of your genetic parents, and from one of THEIR genetic parents before that.

That Guy wrote:
So how far does the whole family thing extend? Is it a specific amount of genetic relation, or is it the knowledge of relation or the degree of emotional connection? Don't just say the same family because if someone was smart enough they could invoke the concept that we're all related.

I'm actually considering pushing it back from 2 generations to 5 or 7, or even dropping this vulnerability entirely, mostly because it seems like it'd not be TOO difficult to get to begin with. As it stands right now, for example, arguably Andrew Tinker could buy a silver butter knife, give it to his mom, have her give it back, and then give it to Frederic and it'd be able to utterly destroy Malachi, which seems somewhat too easy. If I push it back then at the very least there'd be some elements of the deceased in there: You couldn't cheat like that without access to a time machine and the willingness to risk temporaral problems. Hmmm...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:42 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Heh. The only entity who probably knows more is the Soul Engine (the giant, semi-mythical computer in Hell, run by the 128 instances of SoItBegins' soul. Uses trapped souls as processors, memory, hard drive space-- everything, really... it's kinda like an electronic Legion.)

We last saw the engine around the end of Chapter 12... I think it's grown since then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:47 pm 

Xerox: Buddy, I suspect you for a crime when you breathe. But in continuity, It's just my natural 'Suspicious Bastard' reflexes than any real knowledge. And for pure details sake, I'm actiually working on trying to budget a Supernatural Department just to make my life a little easier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:05 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
Heh. The only entity who probably knows more is the Soul Engine (the giant, semi-mythical computer in Hell, run by the 128 instances of SoItBegins' soul. Uses trapped souls as processors, memory, hard drive space-- everything, really... it's kinda like an electronic Legion.)

We last saw the engine around the end of Chapter 12... I think it's grown since then.

Oh, Malachi's hardly all-knowing or all powerful. He's been around for a WHILE, yeah, and he naturally knows a lot about history and the like because of it, but as devils go, he's actually somewhat uninformed, after being out of Hell for so long. He's not even aware of the intended fate of Jane Narbon sometime along the line, which, if the two of them ever met, might end up causing trouble for him a LOOOONG time after the game itself would be over, continuity-wise.

The Soul Engine is likely a lot more knowledgeable and dangerous. Malachi is powerful by virtue of the fact that he's A) A demon and B) A greater demon, but in all honesty he's a being designed for seduction and temptation, and those are the things he's best at. He's still easily smarter, tougher and more dangerous than most mundane mortals, but he's hardly the top of the heap as far as the beings present in the infernal realm are.

Malachi: Yet.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 am 

Eric: Bad! Bad Demon! No mechanization unto ultimate infernal power!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next