Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:50 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Interesting...
Well, Chic's not about to have him over for sunday dinner. It's even possible she may,belatedly, pick up on Des's mood. And if pranking DC would make the evening more tolerable for Des-oh, she could be persuaded....As far as planning the event of the year-having him play made sense.
I'd say her feelings are mixed-the battle at the lab rankles, but her own boyfriend was working for tanglebox!
His arrogance definitely rankles-but the wide eyed wonder at the world goes a long way towards counteracting that. He also seems to have bonded with Wally.
So-she tolerates him. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

EDIT-okay, to keep this post on topic for the notebook-Tinker, how long before you cut off voting? :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:02 pm 

DC's interesting to me- mostly because of my descision that Fredric, at least, has sort of adopted him. He;s pragmatic- if he can figure out where someone lies in his family, then that's that. He considers himself Desius' 'Son' (even if the relationship is more Uncle-Nephew) and considers clones to be 'kids', ergo DC is his baby brother.
The logic is actually sensible, yet remains no less insane.
Andrew... is actually disturbed by DC, but remains polite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 pm 

Oh dear... you know, Desecration was one of those characters I never really saw as surviving Tanglebox. I'm not saying I WANTED him to die, because I never did. I just figured that sooner or later someone would want to take the bugger down enough that they'd end up doing it.

He's an interesting character and I'm curious to see how he develops, if he indeed does.

David's feelings towards DC are nonexistent. He hasn't met DC, and for that matter might not even be aware of his existence. (He knows a few details about what happened while he was "out" but nothing specific. He never thought to ask.) Elleb feels more or less the same way. Lady D loathes DC if only because he was affiliated with the Arm, which she did a few jobs for until it ultimately decided to kidnap her and feed her to a giant mad-erasing machine. So while she has no personal reason to dislike him, she dislikes him on principle.

Michael is...conflicted about DC. I'm not sure if it'll ever come up. Granted, the Arm was somewhat of a father figure for Desecration, and Michael remembers quite clearly being the Arm. But on the other hand, biologically, he's YOUNGER than DC, and he hasn't exactly made up his mind what sort of person he wants to be just yet. So while he feels responsible for seeing that DC more or less continues surviving, he hasn't decided whether or not he's going to do anything active concerning the lad.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Familly Matters
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:38 pm 

The Risks

Risk.
noun
a situation involving exposure to danger
• [in sing. ] the possibility that something unpleasant or unwelcome will happen
• [usu. in sing. ] [with adj. ] a person or thing regarded as likely to turn out well or badly, as specified, in a particular context or respect
• [with adj. ] a thing regarded as likely to result in a specified danger

Contrary to popular belief, the root of this word is, in fact, easily traceable. Where?
A Hungarian Spark line. Immovable from their family hold- to the point that the Castle stands there still, as it has for a very long time. It is not that they have been trying to take over the world so much as they have assumed for a very long time that the world would, eventually, surrender already.

The Risk family tend to use what is around them- a practical interest in natural materials has been the norm in the family style. Flora and Fauna seem to be a common subject of scrutiny, with the occasional foray into the study of natural disasters and meteorology.
The current representatives of the family are Dr. Risk and his Daughter, Dr. Kathleen Risk Tinker... as well as HER son Andrew K O P Risk- Tinker, and HIS son Fredric.

Doctor Risk, who is semi retired from Villainy as of about twenty or so years ago (mostly upon realizing he wasn't going to be able to convince his grandson to not be a Hero, so he might as well give up already) is a dabbler in Meterorology- that is to say, calling down hail the size of your head and random tornadoes- and in general a Mad Strategist.

Dr. Kathleen Risk Tinker is a Botanist- with a minor in Psychology. She spent much of her youth assisting her Father, the two being very close after the sad demise of her Mother when she was young. She would play the Mad Scientists Beautiful Daughter, mainly to mess with Heroes. This left her with a poor opinion of Heroes, of course.

Andrew- Aw, jeez, you guys know this one. At any rate, he retains quite a few traits from the Risk Family- Vanity, a certain dose of Ego, preference for Villain motifs, and a inexplicable attraction to clueless Hero types.

Fredric is very much the apple of his Great Grandpa's eye, as he is following in his footsteps as a Strategist.

In General, the Risks are a noble Family with powerful Spark, and a particular high level of... confidence.
Any questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

Nice. I like it.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:35 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

First and foremost these are true notes. As in they aren't very fleshed out and are providing a bare backbone. As they are done in my style and fashion they may be a little disjointed and I apologize to anyone having trouble following along.

Mad Des:
The slipped chains.
Equinox- Sahien/Beltane.
- Halloween/...(easter? research.)
- Tuatha de Danann- Irish myth and legend. link Seelie and Unseelie turn of season to turn of Personality.

Ok. This isn't going to work without some explanation here.
Since I'm in the spirit of Halloween with some good ole' Trick or Treat, I figured why not run with it. Since we have the treat with the party and the costumes, why not embody the trick?
Now for explanation of samhien and beltane, and what they have to do with any thing.
Halloween coincides with two major holidays, one of celtic tradition and the other with christian tradition. In particular, samhien, the night the summer court of the Tuatha de Danann ends and the winter court begins. Also combined with the scottish courts of the Seelie and Unseelie.
Slightly suprised Elleb isn't doing anything with it considering it's one of the major myths surrounding fairy creatures.
Anyways this changing of seasons and courts bring the otherworld close to the normal world, and things may slip through for the night. But as with the sun they are drwn back into their world.
See the allegory yet?
Mad Des gets his one night of freedom twice a year, much in time with the myths of yore. As this is my creation and condition rather then Eric's I figured he understood that he can't keep Mad Des trapped forever and provded him with opportunities to vent and release the pressures of his confinement. That he choose Samhein and Beltane speaks to his character and love of stories, a love that he passes onto Andrew. On a slightly different chain of thought I can picture Andrew's obsession with stories beginning as Eric reads him fairy tales at bedtime.
Anyways, that leads us into the christian holiday, the feast of all saints, or all saints day or whatever you please. All Saints has, over the years become a celevration of not only the saints, but of the dead, kept with a vigil the night before, the eve of all saints, where in some myth and legends, the dead rise to visit the families of loved ones. If they are happy and remembered, they bestow a blessing upon the family, if not... well, lets just say that there is a reason we picture skeletons and walking dead with Halloween. This is not to be confused with the day of the dead, or El dia de los Muertos, which is based on all saints day, but deserves it's own explanation. Hmm... while on the subject we could do something very fun with that.

Anyways. In retrospect, I think I'm going to type out my notes when I post it here. While I can fit quite a bit into a very tiny space, it doesn't mean muh when everyone can't follow along. Sadly, I have pages of notes such as this, detail a good portion of what I plan, and the symbolism between parts. Ack. And I really haven't explained very much of that true be told. Oh well, I'll expand my notes and try again later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 pm 

Desius wrote:
Slightly suprised Elleb isn't doing anything with it considering it's one of the major myths surrounding fairy creatures.

I actually considered this. However, I've been kind of downplaying Elleb lately, for reasons.

For one thing, she's a character that really has trouble with existing in moderation. With every thing I write about Elleb, I always feel like I need to top the last big thing, and given her most recent escapade, I'm at a loss. Essentially, I've only really been calling on her when I come up with something really entertaining to do with her.

But the REAL reason is that this game is called "The Mad Sci" Wars, rather than the "The Fantasy" wars. Elleb, as well as Sarah, cross genres somewhat. While there's nothing wrong with that, I'd rather not make a huge deal out of it, since this really isn't that sort of game.

If you want an in-game explanation, blame it on Elleb being rebellous. She's a fairy that intentionally left the Fae court, where she's an unimportant princess, to travel to the human world in search of excitement and to bother mortals. While she's aware of the old ways and the old traditions, at the moment she's "living the mortal life" so to speak.

Incidentally, I sort of like this brief bit of insight into Mad Des. Although every time we see a bit of him, I get a bit more apprehensive about his inevitable escape. He's friggin' creepy.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:05 am 

I haven't touched on this before but Thaddeus is simultaneously weak to Mad Des and resistant to him. His inheritance makes him weak and easily controlled via mind control. However as shown at the Awards with JN his Madness gives him the ability to resist some mind control.

So basically I'm going to say that, because Mad Des is stronger than JN, Thad can be controlled by him, but if Mad Des lets his control on Thad slip then the part of Thad that talks in the red text will try to kill him.

That is all I'm going to say about that then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:22 pm 

If any of you ever wondered how much Territory NEga-Tinker has...

Check it. The green is him.
Yes, all of South America, not to mention a chunk of Europe, Russia, korea, and Japan.
No country needs to change it's name, or give up it's identity, or lose it's culture. Schools and Hospitals are built, reform is made, freedom is given where there was none before. Men and women are equal, and the M dollar is strong. There are jobs. There is security. Research is funded.
And, above all else, there is a leader who fights for his lands. For trade, for resources, for respect.

All he asks is that any fledgling Mad is sent to M Central, for training. Something few question-better than having them run free to destroy, right?

His policy is seductive, his debate style charming, and lately he's been eying Greenland.
Negaverse Andrew Tinker. A death ray for every fleet, and an electric car in every garage.
Fear him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:00 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Negaverse Andrew Tinker. A death ray for every fleet, and an electric car in every garage.
Fear him.

I'D vote for him!

Oh wait...he's a dictator. That means people really don't vote.

And, for that matter, I think I'm technically obliged to act against him. Or something like that.

Hmm... I just destroyed my own joke.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:19 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:
Fear him.

I'D vote for him!.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:32 pm 

While you're at it do you mind deciding where Severtia is too. It's not like I need to know, but I'm interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:05 pm 

That Guy wrote:
While you're at it do you mind deciding where Severtia is too. It's not like I need to know, but I'm interested.

Oh, that's, uh.... gimme a sec. *rushes off for a map*
Aha! It's basically where the Netherlands are in out world, with more of a footprint into Germany- with respect for whatever the heck boundaries our Europe (Europia?) has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:25 pm 

Now you've got me thinking....the Severtia national anthem. Hmm....

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:52 pm 

Oh, dear. It has to have a line about annoying the Brits. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 pm 

To be honest I like world building, but it's a lot easier when you're not making a whole parallel history.

Worse, since we have Jagerkin (with umlaut) in our fic, it might be nice to base it off of Girl Genius' Europa, but I can't find a good map of Europa anywhere.

We could just ignore the Girl Genius influence-when it comes to setting country borders. After all time has past so the borders could have changed for any number of reasons.

Oh well it I guess I don't have to get worked up about it. I only wanted to know for secret reasons that I can't reveal. (It would spoil the surprise.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:13 pm 

They actually have a map of Europa in the store, I think... but, yeah. I would assume maybe Germany is called Germany now, since it;s been referred to as such....
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:15 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:

Now what rhymes with Severtia? Dementia?
Question-Primary Xerox, often called Prim. Do you say Prim like prime, as in prime rib?
Or Prim as in prim and proper?

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:18 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:

Now what rhymes with Severtia? Dementia?
Question-Primary Xerox, often called Prim. Do you say Prim like prime, as in prime rib?
Or Prim as in prim and proper?

Seh-Ver-shee-ah, so yes, as a matter of fact!
And it's Prim like Prim and Proper. Although if it was said like 'Prime' that could lead to some good Who's on First gags...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 pm 

Getting back to the general basis of the thread, I should probably detail the gadgets David currently has. Not that I expect this to play a huge role in the chapter, but for the sake of completeness, just in case they become relevant to Bluelight somehow.

The first is the Lens, an unwieldy metal hoop filled with heat-manipulation technology which focuses and magnifies ambient background radiation into a usable particle beam at it's center. This beam can melt through a lot of things, although it may take a while.

The second are his Inertial dampeners. There are four, one for each of his appendages (He's only wearing three, since he's missing an arm, of course. The 4th is in his backpack) They're meant to be worn on the wrists and ankles, and the name is misleading because what they do is convert energy between potential and kinetic states, as well as sort of shunt it around. They probably have a variety of uses, but David's not quite knowledgeable enough to weaponize them: all he really expects them to do is to slow his falls so he doesn't die if he jumps out of an airplane. From the fall, anyway.

The third is a diffraction barrier generator. When activated, it generates a barrier that scatters various wavelengths of light (or, for that matter, currents of electrical energy) across it harmlessly, making such attacks as lasers and lightning harmless for anyone standing behind it. It won't stop a bullet, but the reasoning here is: "When have you ever seen a mad scientist use an ordinary gun?"

The fourth device he currently has on him, which he just received from the 5-year old girl Emily, is a Polarion Resequencer. I haven't the faintest clue what it is (I imagine some sort of ray?) or what it does, but I know I'd personally rather not have my Polarions resequenced, would you? If it ever comes into play I'm expecting to just have David use it on someone, freely and sheepishly admit he didn't know what it did after he used it, and then probably run from whatever results.

The fifth one is the Calculus ray, taken from David's most recent half-baked villain. It doesn't actually do much, but it temporary alters the way the language centers of the brain function, forcing anyone who is shot by it to speak nothing but mathematical functions. While it has no offensive capabilities, there is an unusual benefit to it: Two people, regardless of what languages they usually speak, can perfectly understand each other while under it's effect. So a man who only knows how to speak Spanish and a woman who only spoke french could talk to each other if they found themselves under it's effects.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 am 

M Employees Series No. 1
Calypso: Jamaican/English man who followed his Dad's footsteps in the British Secret Servce, but retains the mannerisms of his Ex Femme Fatal Assassin Mom- cheerful and Motherly, with sudden forays into 'cold and dangerous'.
Was conceived in either a clandestine five star hotel, the back seat of a rocket car, or in one of the underground dungeon cells of Dr. Omega. His momma raised him herself, but his Dad would always take the time to visit call and write. Dr. Omega ended up being his Godfather, and he doesn't use those dungeons anymore.
M is his retirement job after a illustrious career in the British Secret Service. He is Xerox's secretary, handler, and supplementary mother figure. He is fond of Lemon, and since meeting Jess has started dropping hints about 'Liddle Limey-haired Grandbabies'- a habit that has spurred Xerox to find new and interesting ways of sneaking into his office.
If you ever need to know anything about Prim, he is the man to go to- but he might ask for your clearance. Also a bastion of hangover and cold cures, wrestling techniques, and a near encyclopedic knowledge of conspiracy theories.
Has promised to teach Fredric how to drive, and fielded the 'where babies come from/sex' talk for a flustered Andrew. This may not have been a good idea.
Despite what you may think, Calypso actually is Engaged. Asking about his fiance is a good way to make sure he doesn't get any work done for the next hour and a half.

If you are wondering why such a competent, highly trained Agent is working for Xerox.... it has to do with the Little Brother Project.

Next: Dr. Insert-Cute-Name-Here, Head of Weapons Research

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 am 

Oh, I like this! heh-I was just thinking about Dr.Omega today, and how I've never really done anything with him.
Great fleshing out of Calypso's character!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 am 

chicgeek wrote:
Oh, I like this! heh-I was just thinking about Dr.Omega today, and how I've never really done anything with him.
Great fleshing out of Calypso's character!

Thanks! I always had this back story for him, so I figured I should write it up for the Notebook. I kinda threw in the bit with Dr. Omega- it's just a perfect Bond villain name.
Also, I suspect Jess finds him talking about 'Grand-Babies' hilarious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 am 

Heh, and if he was the deceased Dr.Omega's godson, he may know Minerva.

And Jess would indeed find Calypso's comments amusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:19 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Heh, and if he was the deceased Dr.Omega's godson, he may know Minerva.

And Jess would indeed find Calypso's comments amusing.

Hmm... he's in his late thirties, so he probably knew her when he was little... *snerk* Auntie Minnie.

Not to mention Xerox dodging into the nearest closet when he hears Calypso coming. *Not* a good idea at M...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:40 pm 

"Auntie Minnie?" Shudders. Not on your life!
Lets's see-she's the only child of Dr.Omega, born fairly late in his life...but he was still an active villian. Calypso could've been born to Dr.O's hired hench early or late in Dr.O's career. Minerva is older than she looks, and due to unnamed adventures has slowed aging similar to the Viktor's....and Calypso's in his late 30's...
My head hurts.
Okay, I guess she was at least a young adult when he was born. Okay, Auntie Minnie.*sigh* Probably the only person alive who can get away with calling her Minnie.

And now I'm picturing Calypso, an unflappable Jess, and a grouchy, embarassed Xerox at M-heh. Funny.
How do you hide from your personal secretary, the guy who's in the outer office, and get any work done? And here I though Xerox was made of sterner stuff. Calypso-"So, Limecat, you introduced dat nice girl to your mama yet?"
Xerox-"...nnngh..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Okay, I guess she was at least a young adult when he was born. Okay, Auntie Minnie.*sigh* Probably the only person alive who can get away with calling her Minnie.

XD Yeah, he was a hard kid to say no to... mostly due to him not listening. Poor Minerva...
chicgeek wrote:
How do you hide from your personal secretary, the guy who's in the outer office, and get any work done? And here I though Xerox was made of sterner stuff. Calypso-"So, Limecat, you introduced dat nice girl to your mama yet?"
Xerox-"...nnngh..."

Oh, you know. The Vents, a little running, some invisibility... not that any of it really works, but Calypso thinks it;s good for him to be humored now and then.
And stern as he is, he's surprisingly easy to embarrass... that, and he knows full well that he has an equal chance of *having* the damn kids. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:27 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:

And stern as he is, he's surprisingly easy to embarrass... that, and he knows full well that he has an equal chance of *having* the damn kids. :D

Heh-I thought he didn't like being gender swapped-that that's why he was so mad at Jess? Perhaps he doth protest too much? Hee.
I suppose Chimera doesn't stop by M? She'd enjoy embarassing him, but knows juust how far it's safe to push it.

I really ought to write up my shapeshifter notes for here one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:45 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
I suppose Chimera doesn't stop by M? She'd enjoy embarassing him, but knows juust how far it's safe to push it.

I imagine she does... I mean, Xerox cleared her, and he's operating on a 'don't let me catch you' rule for now. If just to pick him up for lunch.

And he *hated* being humiliated at a important mission- the gender swap was just icing on the cake. And he just hangs around too many Mads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 pm 

Okay-shapeshifters.

There's a lot of different kinds. Some use magic. Some are based on chemical formula-jeckyl and hyde, anyone?-or otherwise created by mad scientists.
But the hereditary mutations-such as Chimera-
They've been around forever, it seems. It's very rare. A shapeshifter will not always have a child with those traits, even if both parents share the mutation.
But the genetics are always passed on. They may lay dormant, indeed, often never activating-but will still be passed down to any desendants.
They may or may not be mad. Many are, but that's a separate mutation. A look at the Lineage Chart of Sparks will show, upon close examination, carefully arranged marriages in an attempt to preserve the shifter mutation and establish it in their own line. No mad genetisist has yet figured out why the gene "sleeps" for generations at a time, or how to unlock it. Dr.Gallagher, Jess's father, was working on such a project when he was employed by the Lopez corparation. He reported failure...
Jess does not use her father's name, so the connection is not widely known.
Dr. Io mentioned once that the alien dna he recovered for the tinker project was remarkably similar to earth shapeshifter dna. Perhaps if he ever talks his granddaughter's friend into letting him have a genetic sample...
Chimera's change was kickstarted by a mysterious injection from a mad biologist. Did it bring out her latent ability, or...change it? She can, with difficulty, shift to other forms than human.
A pregnant shapeshifter can still shift, but only to female forms. They are tough, long lived(but not abnormaly so), and, while not immune to poisens and disease, have a capable immune system that will shake off many things.
As far as I'm concerned, the mutation does indeed have its genesis in the stars-whether Mars, or... elsewhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next