Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Welcome to another session of:

Professor Zobot Explains some of it, anyway:

Ok, insignificant mortals... today we're going to talk about secondary characters. Specifically, the people connected to the Toboz family, either through love, blackmail, or mind control.

-Elleb: Arguably the craziest person in the game, (competing with Amino, who is admittedly more active than her.) Elleb is, as has already been stated, the 89th child of the fairy queen, and is arguably one of the least important members of the fae royal family, not that there's much of a distinction. A long time ago the fae made a collective decision (after about 4 inconclusive votes that accomplished nothing useful) to pack up and pull out of the human world more or less for good.

As is to be expected with such chaotic creatures, they didn't do a very good job of committing to the decision. Elleb's the latest in a long line of supernatural creatures that have drifted to the human real for one reason or another. In particular, she found her way here through a rift in reality created by the now-defunct Ice Cream Maker of Whimsy. It's a safe bet that her parents wouldn't be happy about finding out where she is if they found out. (Although contacting them would probably be very hard indeed.) Elleb is, as would be expected, is a creature of chaos and spontaneity, and is very distractable, very curious, and prone to throwing things into disarray at a moment's notice. She is attracted to chaos, cupcakes, and people with last names that end in "ing." (Don't ask, it's an inanely long story.)

Originally, she hung around David because she had a crush on him, which was obviously one-sided. However, she seems to have lost interest ever since the Tanglebox incident. Not to say that she wouldn't say no if David tried to court her, but she's no longer interested in actively pursuing him as a paramour. These days, she mostly hangs around him because she's adopted him and his friends, in a way. She wants to make their lives better. (although they doesn't always agree with her idea of "better") Plus, she really would rather not go home until her parents forget that she's gone in about 3 or 4 generations. That, AND it humans are wonderfully chaotic creatures and hanging around David leads her to plenty of incidents of interest.

It's worth noting that Elleb's physical body is more or less malleable... she can alter her personal form on a whim. A Glamour, which is essentially a complicated form of illusion that affects one or more of the 5 senses, is a different and much more complicated ability. She's also more or less immune to most forms of mind-control. She doesn't have a physical mind to control and lacks the body systems to The fae are creatures of thought and concept rather than physical flesh, and they are able to do things such as eat more or less because they want to. As such they are much more capable at influencing human minds than humans themselves are. This isn't to say they're any good at it (Elleb certainly isn't) just that they're more capable at it. Elleb is usually thought of as sweet, if mischievous, but has been known on occasion to display a thoroughly inhuman side. (Such as finding blood funny before she realized the bleeding human was dying/dead, shooting people with a transmogrifying beam because she was bored and wanted to play with it, or trying to get two humans together because she felt they'd be a good couple.)

Elleb, not being from ANY human dimension, doesn't have a dimensional alternate in the nega-verse. It's been implied, however, (mostly from a post Wally made about Anti-Wally and Anti-Chic's relationship) that some fairy meddling has occurred there as well. All I can say on this subject is that Elleb gets around. :D

-Lady Catharine Drezebel: (Call her Cathy and you die. Call her Catharine and she'll make you pose for a project she's doing. Decide for yourself which is worse.) Lady Drezebel is the Fiancee of Richard Toboz, and an incorrigible pervert who blends her passion for art with her lust to create terrors that occasionally disturb even her. I've actually gotten PMs from people asking why exactly the two of them are together... it's a good question. Richard has a thorough distaste for Mad Scientists and Lady D is unlikely to have ever been interested in someone as stuffy as him at first glance. While I'm not going to give a straight answer as of yet (still hoping to turn it into a tales of Madness story when I have the time and inclination) I will say that their auspicious first meeting and subsequent first few dates all revolve around Lady Drezebel's attempt to create a "perfect boyfriend." Also: Their first few encounters together are more or less NSFW, no matter how I consider spinning it. Blame the characters, not the creator.

Lady Drezebel's dirty little secret is that she has a number of less-than-mad desires. She wants a storybook wedding, for one thing. She has very little interest in science, for another. She likes wearing formal gowns and dresses, although she doesn't do so in public to keep up appearances. In reality she's less of a tomboy and more of a girly-girl than she'd like to admit. She thinks experimenting on henchmen is counter-productive. She doesn't want to die alone, as a result of her own work turning against her. Worst of all, hidden beneath everything else she tries to hide, her darkest and most disturbing desire is that she really just wants to be loved. She's still Mad, and prone to doing bizarre things, but in a lot of respects she acts tougher than she really is.

I suppose I'd compare her to Cheri Littlebottom from Discworld: She's a dwarf, but a different KIND of dwarf. The analogy falls apart when you realize, however, that Cheri is, in regards to Dwarfkind, the equivalent of a feminist, whereas Lady Drezebel is very closeted and private about her feelings. Lady Drezebel is more normal than she believes Mads SHOULD be, and that is both a source of discomfort and a guilty pleasure to her.

And yeah, she's a pervert, and makes no attempt to hide it. I'd imagine Lady D, pre-madness, to be a much more introverted, shy artist type who wouldn't let anyone see her sketchbook because it contained dirty stuff she didn't want anyone else to know she drew. I was actually planning on having non-mad Lady D make an appearance during Tanglebox but just never got around to it. I didn't PLAN for her to be so...vulnerable... she just sorta grew in that direction in my head.

For those who care about such things, Lady Drezebel is bisexual, but has little to no experience in romances with her own gender beyond drawing them. Richard is the 19th boyfriend she's had, and the first to last longer than 4 months.

-Sarcastic Female NPC: A newcomer who kinda-inherited the spunk that gradually radiated off of Lady D. In some senses, what you see is what you get with Sarcastic. She's not latent or Mad, she has lived a more or less normal life, and she is studying to get her degree in English (which she's semi-serious about as things currently stand.) She is also a gamer girl, and I'll admit she is somewhat cliched in the respect that I modeled her after the sort of female that any heterosexual male nerd would be attracted to. She is a second generation geek that was brought up by extremely nerdy parents. She currently is playing a level 13 druid in her pen-and-paper gaming group's DnD game, and is looking to start looking into 4th Edition as soon as they release the book with the Bard Class in it. I don't know exactly how long she'll last in the game: She's not very dangerous, is a bit of a walking target, and has almost nothing that levels the playing field with other characters.

As previously noted, she suffers/enjoys the syndrome known as "Clark Kent syndrome". Essentially, people will perceive her as looking completely different whenever she makes relatively small changes to her appearance. This has made her life difficult on more than one occasion. To compensate, she tries to keep her appearance more or less consistent on a day to day basis. She wears glasses even though her vision is fine and keeps her hair tied in a ponytail. She owns only 4 different outfits, but has several copies of each outfit, so that she can keep herself looking the same every day. She also encourages close friends to listen to the sound of her voice rather than her appearance. If I was better at writing, she'd have some really obscure accent. (Not because she comes from a region of the world where it would originate, but because she would have cultivated it to make her voice sound more distinguishable.)

Sarcastic is a bit of a thrill seeker, and was originally introduced to serve as a bit of a straight man for David's oddness. Ever since the Arm got trashed, David seemed to be missing something... so hence, she was introduced. I don't know how moral she is exactly (She seems not to be above manipulating people to get what she wants) but she is at least less evil than the Arm.

Expect nerd humor, gaming references, and the occasional obscure joke. Of course, it's not like that's anything different from what I was doing before.

Well, I hope at least one person was interested in hearing me blather on about this. I know I had fun writing it, anyway.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 pm 

M Employees # 2
Dr. 'Cutename' (aka Dr. Fluffysparkle, Dr. Kittenpony, etc etc.)
Childlike.
Pink-haired.
About five foot naught inches.
And the designer of the most dangerous weapons currently on earth.

Dr. 'Cutename' was once, like most M employees, Sane. Once upon a time, she was Hazel Jefferson, her Scientist fathers little Princess and the sem-despair of her Mother. Sure, she was as feminine as a little girl could be- She adored pink, and ponies, and tea parties. But yet she scorned pleated skirts in favor of the 'Just like Daddy's' pink re-enforced goggles and rubber gloves.

This trend continued through her highschool career- the biology teacher quickly grew accustomed to the sight of her standing on a stood to see over the counter, writing diligently in her Sailor Moon notebook.

As time went on she had less and less time for her love of cute things, and had to fight harder and harder to be respected. The stress of school began to wear away her sanity, something her father had seen coming for a long time and did his best to alleviate the growing symptoms.

But in the end, he was unable to stop it. She was triggered. And ended up destroying most of the collage she went to just after her graduation ceremony, leaved naught but scoured, burnt, *pink* earth and the forever broken minds of those who opposed her in the wake of her Madness.
Her Daddy was very, *very* proud of her.

After she recovered, she was interveiwed by several branches of the American Millitary- none of which would meet her demands.
New Commander Primary Xerox, however, was more than happy to paint her lab pink, instigate a dress code for the interns, locate a pony far, and generally do whatever the hell it took to get her to work for him.

He really diddn't need to try so hard- she was really pretty hooked by how much he happens to sound *exactly* like Frank Welker, otherwise known as the voice actor for Megatron, Commander of the Decepticons and her personal childhood hero, right before Princess She-Ra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:48 pm 

Wonder how she'll react to the five foot nothing Chic and her weapons?
I hope someone warns Chic not to invent any weapons for M, and stick to other nifty inventions instead. Like the anti-radio jammer, or working with the vics.

Will she invite me to a tea party or try to kill me? Or, what's more likely, both? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:54 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
I hope someone warns Chic not to invent any weapons for M, and stick to other nifty inventions instead. Like the anti-radio jammer, or working with the vics.

Will she invite me to a tea party or try to kill me? Or, what's more likely, both? :D

Tea Party, of course! She may or may not refer to Chic as 'She Ra', but she will be friendly. She only gets angry at people who belitter her weapons.... it's a bad career move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:34 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
chicgeek wrote:

Tea Party, of course! She may or may not refer to Chic as 'She Ra', but she will be friendly. She only gets angry at people who belitter her weapons.... it's a bad career move.

Heh-I can see it now-trading recipies for cake and for lasers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:08 pm 

The Dead Villain Society-or, a little background on Dr.Omega.

It's been established he was an excellent fencer, even if he bore a few dueling scars delivered by the hot tempered Dr. Goodbody. Minerva's villain voice has been established as reminesent of Omega's reverberating, commanding tone. He was a Mad Historian. And what could a mad historian possibly do?
If it happened once, he can rediscover it. The lost formula for greek fire, anyone? The locations of Atlantis and Lemuria, just for starters? And let's not forget the nifty power of psychometry. A definition I just pulled off the web-
“ Psychometry is another form of psychic divination using the sense of touch to get mental impression linked to it. Psychometric impressions may come in the form of emotions, sounds, scents, tastes or images. The visions can appear is single flat images, much like a photo, or as animations. As we exist in an electromagnetic energy reality, metal objects often work best.
The term was coined in 1842 by Joseph R. Buchanan, an American physiologist, who claimed it could be used to measure the 'soul' of all things. Buchanan further said that the past is entombed in the present. He developed the theory that all things give off an emanation which contained a sort of record of the history of the object. He believed that objects recorded senses and emotions and these could be played back in the mind of the psychometric scryer.”
Rather interesting things can be done with that.
He had an appreciation of fine art, which led him to cross paths-and rapiers-with Dr.Penelope Goodbody, Mad art professor, and linguist.
An important member of the Alliance of Villains. He thought highly of Dr.Viktor, and did his best to turn the votes his way, when Dr.Viktor was almost kicked out of the alliance for consorting with heros. This stood him in good stead later, when he had a daughter by one himself. Even Viktor's own sons did not know of her, until she told them herself.
Suave, formidable,known for keeping his cool- a very unflappable villain. Had a base established in the carribean. Apparently somewhat of a soft touch-when his top assasin gets pregnant by a british secret service agent, he ends up godfather to her child. Who still, much to his daughter's dismay, calls her Aunt Minnie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:52 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Spent Wednesday researching this instead of NaNo-ing. *sighs, hits self*

Neural Chaff

Importance: Probably the only consistent weapon in Janet Torvald’s arsenal. It’s on her person at all times. Somewhere. Look, she doesn’t tell me everything, all right? And considering alt-Chic was able to steal her clothing and not run into the stuff, I’m not sure I want to know where it’s hidden.

What it is: A powder-like substance that must be inhaled by the victim to work. The powder contains two types of nanobots, both of which make their way to the brain.

What it does: Disrupts victim’s mental processes. Victim is unable to concentrate, and cannot follow a single train of thought. Seeming change of personality occasionally occurs. Mad victims aren’t made sane, though, in fact the opposite. Lack of attention span practically guarantees a large number of Ideas, very few of which will be remembered or acted upon.

How it works: Two ways, both in the brain. Most of the nanobots speed up dopamine reuptake by acting like neurotransmitter transporters (specifically DATs; located mostly in the basal ganglia). This reduces attention span and has a number of other effects, most notably an inability to learn, to feel pain or pleasure accurately, and to use working (short-term) memory to manipulate information. Other nanobots disrupt the hippocampus’ electrical activity, thus affecting the victim’s long-term memory. Prolonged exposure (say, months?) to neural chaff will cause permanent damage to the victim’s hippocampus.

When she’ll use it: Rarely. Janet will only use it if she really really needs/wants to immobilize someone. Also if she ever decides to try taking over the world again.

Did she make it?: Yes. Though I admit I’m modifying/combining ideas from a JLA issue and a Sandman issue (which suggests that fanboy Dr. Gluon’s handiwork instead), neural chaff was one of the first things Janet made after she went Mad, and is probably her most powerful invention so far. Though that one with a dried mango, corkboard and dirty magazine was pretty impressive.

So, um, how does this tie in with her recycling motif again?: The most obvious answer is how the chaff was made – dust mite labor using Janet’s designs and bits of recycled trash. There’s another answer, but that’s a Tale for another time. Maybe she’ll tell you if you ask nicely. Or maybe she’ll make you forget you ever asked at all...

Note: I'm only bringing this up because Dr. Gluon's currently under the influence of the chaff. Not because Janet's going to be using it on anybody anytime soon. No, really! It's way overpowered and she likes a challenge. If you see her with a mango, corkboard and a dirty magazine, however... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:50 pm 

The Guy Family is an old family of henchmen. They are henchmen due to the fact that they must obey anyone who has the Madness voice. Everyone knows that already.

I feel as though I should explain something. That is, the super fighting powers, i.e. Thaddeus' ability to shoot with 99.999% accuracy.

Nearly every member of the Guy family can fight well, with the training they are given from birth.

I have to go back to the original Guy. Ichor Guy. Before he had some changes made to him he was a Mad. He was a genius with Engineering and Math. Then he was changed.

His Madness became obedience. His ability with Math was a genetic part of his madness. It was passed on to every ancestor down the line.

The Guy family could not be Mad. So instead their brains put the math to work fighting.

For Thaddeus this means that in his mind he sees the trajectories of his bullets. He can calculate with an extreme efficiency. Though Desius is very good with his gun I would assume he cannot do some of the things that Thad can.

There that gaping plot hole is covered with a tarp. Now people just have to stay off of it so they don't fall through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:53 pm 

Luc Explains!

The Tinker Family!

The Ultimate project to create Heroes~!

But there isn't really such a thing as the one, perfect Hero... there are many different kinds of Hero, each better for different Scenarios.

The Tinker Project is meant to re-create the epitomes of each kind of Hero within the hereditary Tinker Family. The 'Tinker Gene' instills in each family member their traits, and unconsciously crafts the next generation.

With each ensuing generation, the Hero Types will become more detailed, until such a time where no matter the situation, there will always be a Tinker who can handle it!
Such is the genus of Sir Dr. Florian Viktor and Dr. Dimitri Io, for this project they have unleashed... is their own family line.

Here is a rough list of the current available Classes of Tinker,

Generation One
Alpha+Beta: Heroic Villains
Delta+Gamma: Classic Heroes
Epsilon: Sincere Hero

Generation Two
Omega: Trickster Hero, Secret Agent
Psi: Unwilling Hero, Mama Bear.

Generation Three
Zeta: Action Hero, Planner.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:01 pm 

Is Chic Psi? If so-Inspector Gadget, perhaps? I dunno, hmm...She'll deny being any kind of hero, of course. :D And I'm sure the V twins would object to the Heroic Villain designation. Heh. Accurate though it is.
Protective streak + mean streak=? Any ideas?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:47 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Is Chic Psi? If so-Inspector Gadget, perhaps? I dunno, hmm...She'll deny being any kind of hero, of course. :D And I'm sure the V twins would object to the Heroic Villain designation. Heh. Accurate though it is.
Protective streak + mean streak=? Any ideas?

I wonder how she'd feel about being 'Psi', for that matter. XD.
Hmm... Inspector Gadget kinda works. Gadgeter would probably be fitting...

The idea is that the Base Tinker+ (second parent)= Kid Type.... but Chic was tampered with.
Still, I think- hey! I know! Mama Bear! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:44 pm 

Har de har har. Something that looks cuddly to the unwary...but can use its strenght and fangs to shred you apart...and we all know the old adage about not getting in between a mama bear and her cub(or whoever she's protecting).
Hmmm....
Maybe it's not so far off at that. :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:13 pm 

Eh? Eh? See? It fits!
Plus, she is like her papa that way... as the eldest son, he's got a protective streak a few miles long. (It really is lucky he likes Wally. ^^)
And also, the Elder twins are, well... Evil, yes... Wicked, oh yes- as Minerva may attest. But you just have to wonder why so many plans they were involved with seem to have fallen apart at some crucial stage... particularly the ones that involved destroying the world...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
And also, the Elder twins are, well... Evil, yes... Wicked, oh yes- as Minerva may attest. But you just have to wonder why so many plans they were involved with seem to have fallen apart at some crucial stage... particularly the ones that involved destroying the world...

As Minerva may attest? Any reason in particular? Because she's fallen for Vladimir? Or because her father was in the Alliance of Villains? At any rate, she doesn't seem to mind... :D

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:20 pm 

Well, she *is* engaged to Vladimir. Rasputin is wicked to, just in a more calculating fashion...
a look forward to the day when the plot lets me use those two to their evilest potential- so far we've seen them at their best.
heh heh heh..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:06 pm 

I've mentioned these often enough, I thought I'd give more detailed of a description.

Jennifer's Necklaces

Jennifer, in general, deals with mind control and manipulation. This may have something to do with going Mad and building a hypno-ray to get a certain cousin to tell her a certain number. Anyway, the necklaces are usually silver heart-shaped lockets on a thin silver chain. They work line-of-sight; if you can see the person wearing the necklace, you'll be affected. If someone looks away, they stop being affected, so the necklaces don't work as well against people who have prior knowledge of the target. Unfortunately, they also affect the person wearing the necklace, which is why they aren't usually that strong.

The one Claire's wearing in the Prix is different from the one Jennifer wore at the beginning; it's a lot stronger. Claire's necklace she uses to play MSBD is a slight variation on these, in that it only targets Heroes, and it isn't very strong. The 'only targets Heroes' bit is useful if the person wearing the necklace isn't a Hero, but at an event like the Prix it would be pretty useless.

There is no reason Jennifer couldn't build necklaces that intimidate people, or ones that only target Villains. She just hasn't yet. She doesn't really see the point.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject: Re: The Mad Sci Notebook
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm 

Clerk:
'Clerk' is the first new invention of Primary Xerox after going Mad, and displays his tendencys towards electronics.
Clerk is a high-power computer, decades ahead of current technology. It was created specifically for Chic, in a sort of weird hope of helping her organize a little and generally being an aide for her (when Xerox can;t be there).
He mainly operates from his casing, a re-purposed fridge/freezer that chic had scavenged for spare parts and run through an unknown process by Xerox. It functions as protection and as cooling, as well as it's main interface with Mecha (who provides his electricity).
From there, he has enough power of computation to store the entire M archive comfortably if he had to- more than enough for his intended purpose.
His user interface is variable depending on what;s hooked up, bt is a default 'hard-light' holographic interface, that usually manifests as hovering flat screens. Clerk is fully capable of manifesting as a large as life picture perfect humanoid hologram, but chooses not to for reason of his own.
'Hard-Light' refers to the fact that he can make his holograms solid up to a degree, from 'tissue paper' to 'glass' to roughly 'iron', using the Sentient Color technology- the mysterious 'Prisim Tech' that allows light to become form.

Clerk is not Mobile. Clerk can't project outside a defined field. Clerk is intended for usage as a research and development computer, and cannot interface with organic tech. Clerk was designed with the same sort of AI that Lemon has- start with a program, then make an OS, then with enough added complexity a Intelligence forms almost organically- 'Grown' rather than 'Made'.
Clerk harbors no monomaniacal thought patterns, beyond the occasional wish for a hamster.
He also prefers emotions to thought, and abhors those who claim to use Reason for the 'greater good'. If pressed, he will state his lack of belief in Greater 'Good'- just in Greater Humanity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:13 pm 

Coool!
A golden hamster, perhaps? Not a gerbil?

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:23 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Coool!
A golden hamster, perhaps? Not a gerbil?

Hah! Witness the power of Older Brother Syndrome.
And yeah, no Gerbil. He likes how rotund hamsters are... and any color would do. If he got two he'd probably start a breeding program... try and get a black-spotted golden-haired breed.
He's kinda between Andrew and Farnsworty... the jager-ness is just for show, but it will become a personality feature after a while.
I mostly just like that he's sort of lazy... sentimental, even. That's Xerox's *real* talent- he creates *personality*.
By the way, if you want to pictiure the 'Fridge' casing, think of EVE's texture from WALL-E.
... I just imagined Sparky, Lemon, Mecha, Clerk, and Fredric watching that movie, all bawling their eyes out...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 pm 

Maybe it could create a little AI hamster (sort of make your own pet deal).

Which reminds me, that Prime and Ariel's child, whose name I forget, lives in a single parent home now.

Darn I made myself sad. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 pm 

That Guy wrote:
Maybe it could create a little AI hamster (sort of make your own pet deal).

Which reminds me, that Prime and Ariel's child, whose name I forget, lives in a single parent home now.

Yeah, but theres no real rhyme or reason for an AI hamster to stuff it's widdle cheeks with sunflower seeds.
... Isn't Lemon Ariels Godperson? There's at least that going for her.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Wait, I thought Ariel was Prime and Gabriel's child.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:39 pm 

Oh-err, yeah, my bad. Gabriel. Ariel. It's not that hard of a mistake really. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:07 pm 

The Umbra Family

For a long time, the Umbra Family was a nebulous group, even the number of which was unknown. One would occasionally appear, do some Villainous action, then disappear again. There were rumored mob connections, conspiracy theories, and myths about them. Few people even knew they existed.

Three days after the 97th Frankenstein 1000 Grand Prix ended, a large pile of paperwork appeared at M. This paperwork was for ten Mad Umbras, and contained an orange sticky note saying "sorry the paperwork is so late!" Of course, there's little indication that the paperwork is at all accurate, but at least it's filed. It's also *complete* which is an extreme rarity for anyone in the Mad scientist community, let alone a whole family.

Oh, and it should be noted that technically, there *is* no Umbra family.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:20 pm 

While not nearly as interesting as more cryptic details about the Umbra family, (TELL US MORE, CLAIRE! THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY NOW!) I believe it's time to fill in a bit of a plot hole that I've been lazy about doing... it's time for another session of...

Professor Zobot Explains, well, some of it, anyway:

Today, mortal fools, we will be discussing a pain in the criminal underworld's side, the Ten Gentlemen. Specifically, we will be introducing each of the Gentlemen in the order of their recruitment into this oddly organized league of superheroes, and explaining their function within it. Because I love tormenting you all with exposition, we will also be elaborating on certain things hinted about earlier, specifically the special privileges and rights the Ten Gentlemen have been bestowed upon by the United Nations, which function within any nation that is a part of the UN.

Let's get this over with! The roster of the Ten Gentlemen, from the very first member to the most recent recruit, is as follows:

1. Braxton Livingstone: The founder of the organization, and it's de facto leader. Now in a state of semi-retirement, this boisterous old English gentleman seems to have been around since the days of early British colonization and has yet to show any signs of getting close to death now. Polite, friendly, and thoroughly full of himself, he's the sort of person you'd expect to be comically incapable but is disturbingly proficient. Loves to laugh, and values spirit over most other traits. It's unknown whether he actually HAS any super powers (aside from his prodigious longevity) or if he's just very, VERY experienced. Likes: Big game hunting, exploring undiscovered places, and cups of tea. (As is required for all British characters, apparently.) Dislikes: Politics.
2. Marcus Bryson: Prefers to work without a codename. A young man with talented psychic potential, while he possesses some small talent for telekinesis, his true strength is the ability to see into the hearts and minds of others around him. Because of this, he serves as the groups political representative and spokesperson when the 10 Gentlemen deal with government bodies or other such groups. He mainly deals with foiling white collar crime, and the nonviolent elimination of corrupt officials in governing bodies, which makes most people tend to believe he's a bit of a wussy superhero. However... in actual combat he's unexpectedly formidable: being able to know your opponents moves ahead of time, combined with creative use of minor telekinesis, makes him someone you don't want to lose track of. At age 20, he is the youngest Gentleman, and typically seems very serious. However, he has a silly side he rarely shows to people he doesn't know well, and a fondness for animals, especially bears. (He has occasionally been caught using his telekinetic powers to sculpt things such as wax, wood, or clay into the shape of animals.)
3. Bahamut (Secret Identity not publicly known): A cocky and confident man claiming to be possessed by the spirit of a mighty beast that died during the Middle Ages, Bahamut seems to have the equivalent strength, fortitude, and appetite of the dragon he's named after. He serves as the brawler of the Ten Gentlemen. Physically in a near perfect shape, he typically fights large groups such as criminal syndicates, armies led by "the forces of darkness" or things such as that, although he also faces super villains on occasion. Bahamut is freakishly strong and can manifest phantom wings, limbs, and a tail similar to those that a European dragon would possess, allowing him to attack foes from a distance beyond his own arms reach. He also possesses the ability to breath fire, but rarely uses it because, in his own words "The aftertaste is terrible after I do that."
4. Tsubaki (Secret Identity not publicly known): A bit of an enigma; when "On the job" Tsubaki rarely speaks and wears bandages wrapped around the head, obscuring everything except the eyes. A powerful martial artist with superhuman speed and the ability to sense and harm the ethereal and spiritual, Tsubaki serves as the Spiritualist of the Ten Gentlemen, dealing with ghosts and their ilk. Particularly withdrawn, even to teammates, Tsubaki is a bit of an enigma. Has a hatred of Japanese mythology, for some reason.
5. Malachi (No last name): An incubus that was summoned in Italy during the Renaissance to cause mischief and tempt souls... unfortunately the summoner was particularly stupid and never included any terms for when Malachi should return to Hell. Thus, after ensuring that the man responsible for calling him here was dead, Malachi went on his wicked little way, stealing souls and causing women (and the occasional man, just to be different) to stray from the "straight and narrow." Then the Modern age came, and he had the terrible epiphany that mankind was better at tempting itself into wickedness than Demons were. In his own terms: "It's just no fun anymore! Too easy! Did you know how long it's been since I've seen even one mortal with a pure heart? Not to mention the difficulty in finding any sort of virgins to desecrate these days." Up until the 80's he stumbled around more or less in a drunken haze, disheartened with the work he had done since his fall from heaven, and no longer the proud and noble demon he had once been. Why, there were weeks when he didn't actually seduce anyone, even once! He had discovered that what he really wanted out of life was a challenge, and there simply wasn't one in what he had built his entire existence around. And then he came to a realization: If leading souls astray was no longer challenging, than to have any fun at all he'd have to approach the process from the other way... He has since started acting as a superhero of sorts that fights to protect those that are suffering, in the hopes of improving humanity through example. He has a very elaborate social-engineering plan for the Human race which he will happily explain to anyone who is willing to listen (it's quite boring) which essentially can be summed up by the phrase "I'm going to build you guys up just so I can have all the fun of tearing you all down again in about 1000 years or so." He serves within the Ten Gentlemen as a Protector, under more or less permanent prohibition, but has shown nothing but good behavior since manipulating them into recruiting him 5 years ago. Being an demon, he has an innate control over fire and can take on the form of any human male with but a thought. He also has powers specific to Incubi, but has not used them regularly in the past 100 years. He and Radiant do NOT get along.
6. Flux (Secret Identity unknown): An alien/human hybrid with a weird appearance and a weird temperament to match, Flux primarily deals with extraterrestrial threats to the planet. His primary powers are those of short and long range teleportation, but the effects are not immediate: teleporting a distance farther than about 30 feet seems to cause a time delay in the effect which starts at about a second, and increases the longer he jumps. Flux also has an enhanced reaction time and the ability to see in complete darkness. He's a bit of a snark, and rarely misses an opportunity to crack wise. He also serves as the sarcastic voice of morality in the group, on the rare occasion when they're all together.

While this may be an inconvenient time to break off, we're out of time. I'll finish sometime later.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:15 pm 

... somehow I just imagine Tsubaki and Saya just staring at each other... staring... suddenly Tsubaki slaps him, and walks away quietly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:39 am 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
... somehow I just imagine Tsubaki and Saya just staring at each other... staring... suddenly Tsubaki slaps him, and walks away quietly.

:lol: Of course, now that you've said it, I must do everything within my power to make it happen, you know that, right?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:07 am 

Because no one requested it... the remaining part of the Ten Gentlemen Roster!

7. Dr. Corbin Gallant: The Mastermind of the Ten Gentlemen, and the resident Mad Scientist of the group. He fulfills the stereotype of the Good Mad Scientist: Nutty, whimsical, and prone to Mad Science-enabled flights of fancy. Fond of long flowing labcoats, long calculus problems on the beach, teaching young children about technology in educationally entertaining ways, and creating remarkably dangerous Deus Ex Machina which he then decides are too dangerous and hides away somewhere until they're inevitably discovered by a villainous figure and he has to correct his past mistakes. Typically, he goes up against foes wielding Doomsday devices, mechanical war machines, or other Unspeakable Acts of Technology (TM). There are rumors that he once worked for the Government Organization "M", but there doesn't seem to be any basis for them...
8. Biome (Secret Identity Unknown): Primarily deals with Eco-terrorism, serving as the Naturalist of the group, and works to preserve the environment in a Captain Planet-esque way. Possesses abilities to shape trees, stone, and earth, as well as stimulate the growth of plantlife around him. A laid back man who enjoys sleeping in late and vegan cooking.
9. Medic (Secret Identity Unknown): The Healer of the Ten Gentlemen, possessing the ability to accelerate the human body's natural regeneration capacities by laying hands on them. An earnest and sincere man, his powers have a disturbing dark side as well: With the same touch he can hyper-stimulate a body's immune system and turn its white-blood cells against itself, eventually tearing the body itself apart. He possesses no superhuman abilities aside from that. Due to the nature of his powers, he is the exception to the rule that the Ten Gentlemen don't commonly associate with each other, as well as the rule that all the Ten Gentlemen fight crime. Medic has fought criminals before, but after a certain incident in the past he now devotes most of his time to "cleaning up" after the battles most of the other Ten Gentlemen find themselves in, minimizing the loss of life.
10. Radiant: Come on. Everyone knows about this guy by now. Read his dossier entry if you really want to see a description. It'd just be like that. The Avenger of the Ten Gentlemen, his personal focus in fighting evil is to identify those responsible for the deaths of large groups of people and hunt them down, ensuring that they never do such things again. In a way, he's kind of like Maria Narbon in his method of operation.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 am 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:

:lol: Of course, now that you've said it, I must do everything within my power to make it happen, you know that, right?

And yet, I have no idea if that's saya's cue to launch at him... or to just sayto whoever asks 'No, no, I deserved that.'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:32 am 

I'm going to explain Professor Andronicus' arsenal.

His electro-phasic armor as it is called is a layer of wires he has inserted underneath his skin. This allows him to absorb blows (like Chicgeek's expertly thrown rocks) without experiencing much damage. It still hurts though.

His subatomic igniters (those deathsticks he's wielding) is a very precise piece of engineering. He used Radcliffe's sub-atomizer and a few spare parts to make them. Each deathstick works nearly by itself, but one needs both of them to ignite the heads.

They work by sending a very specific frequency pulsing through matter. It shakes the matter on an atomic level causing nuclear fission-and a somewhat small chain reaction. This causes massive gouts of blue flame as the energy is released.

Professor Andronicus is currently using them to explode the ground because they must be set to specific frequencies. He cannot switch between one type of matter and another as it would require him to recalibrate the igniters. He therefore set it to ignite one material he had a lot of-metals in the dirt.

Exploding the ground is all he can really do without switching it over to water. He could then use it to explode people, but that would require precise aiming that he cannot achieve.

-Radcliffe could aim it that well if it was attached to a gun though...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next