Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: The Mad Arts
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:36 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

When I was a kid, I had this dream. I only had it once, but it's haunted me since - there was this mad scientist, see? And he had this device, which he strapped to my head. It worked like this: whenever I said a word, that word disappeared from my vocabulary. Say enough words and your mind went blank, unable to rationalize or associate meaning to anything that was said around you. This meant that I could no longer stand in his way, of course, but while this device was strapped to my head, while I could only feel, there was nothing more beautiful than simply existing.

Sometimes there need not be words. Have fanart? Photos of creative endeavors? The melodious battle hymn of your character, as sung by a thousand robots? YouTube links to interpretive dances or silent film reenactments? This is the place for them.

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:01 pm 

'Old' fanart.

Individual bits pieced together to make that fanart:
Chibi Tinker
The Action Shot
The Pink (what I drew of it, anyway... >.> )

The new stuff... uh, there's not much of it yet. I spent a bit pulling together my own little dossier of the descriptions you guys gave me (thank you again! *hugs all around!*). It seems that height's gonna be a bit of a problem for me. I'm not used to varying them, so I'm doing a series of line-ups first. I should note that if you were general about your character's height ("average," "short," etc.), I approximated it for you. Let me know if you'd like anything changed.

I decided to start with the two characters I've already drawn, David and Andrew. Unfortunately, I messed up with Andrew's. Not height-wise, but... in general. It must be redrawn... ;_;

David's:

Next up: Andrew, Desius, Chicgeek, So It Begins. And then a break for a comic. Hee. ^^

Last edited by JanetTor on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:50 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Eeeeeeeee! *fanboy squeal!*
Heh.... I guess Ihave no excuse not to scan in my work now, huh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:51 pm 

I think it beyond cool that the fan fiction has fan art. And it's oddly appropriate to have mads drawn in a police style lineup!
"Yes, officer that's him."
"Are you sure, ma'am? Look carefully."
"Yes, I'd recognize that robotic arm anywhere."
Thanks, JanetTor!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:11 pm 

... GAAAAH!

JaneTor, this is awesome! I love that picture!

I think you definately have talent. There are times when I wish I could draw...

Thank you. I really appreciate the art of my character! I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition of other peoples as well.

Keep drawing. You have great potential, and I really love the works of yours I've seen.

Hmm... maybe if I feel inclined at some moment, I'll see if I can't make sprites for some of the characters. At least I'm halfway decent at that...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 pm 

Do we have the coolest fan forum or what? :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm 

Absolutely. :D

Granted, we also have the best forum topic...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 pm 

Claire wrote:
Absolutely. :D

Granted, we also have the best forum topic...

Wanna mint? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:40 pm 

Sure.

*eats mint, waits, nothing happens*

CURSE YOU, PROFESSOR TINKER!!!!

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 pm 

How about a nice refreshing cup of punch? :D

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:45 pm 

Claire wrote:
Sure.

*eats mint, waits, nothing happens*

CURSE YOU, PROFESSOR TINKER!!!!

Bwaaaahahahahahaaa!! It was caffeinated, caffeinated you fool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:45 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
How about a nice refreshing cup of punch? :D

*drinks and shifts to male*

Ah, thank you. Much better.

*Twitch*

#$@ caffeine...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 pm 

Cool. I likey. I'm just going to go be incoherent somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 pm 

Oh my gosh, guys, I wasn't going to post again tonight, but I just realized something - 24 Hour Comic Day is on Saturday! And I'm on Fall Break! This is the first time the stars have aligned and I have a chance to try this. *stars in eyes*

I, uh, might not be around much this weekend. Heh. *borrows some Madness*

Quote:
Heh.... I guess Ihave no excuse not to scan in my work now, huh.

Nope! ^^

Quote:
I think it beyond cool that the fan fiction has fan art. And it's oddly appropriate to have mads drawn in a police style lineup!
"Yes, officer that's him."
"Are you sure, ma'am? Look carefully."
"Yes, I'd recognize that robotic arm anywhere."

That's why he's wearing that bemused expression. "What did I do?" Might explain why the first version of Andrew was eying him and smiling secretively...

Quote:
Hmm... maybe if I feel inclined at some moment, I'll see if I can't make sprites for some of the characters. At least I'm halfway decent at that...

Sweetness! Doooo eeeet~! ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:08 pm 

Yeee! Good Luck! *gives cup of Madness*
And Andrew was? You have to be careful about that...

I'll scan it in now- I found my old photobucket account, so that will help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:12 pm 

Quote:

Sweetness! Doooo eeeet~! ^^[/quote]

*Throws up his arms* FINE! Maybe I will!!!

Don't expect anything amazing. I'm pretty terrible with any form of art program. There's just margins of HOW terrible I am, and working with MS Paint is probably the closest to "Almost decent" that there is.

The initial launch of sprites will possibly consist of:

Single still images of Andrew Tinker, David Toboz, Jane Narbon, and SiB (if I can track down a physical description of him) and I'm probably gonna use the Chrono Trigger sprite-ish "Style" of art, if I can keep it looking decent.

If people like the original four, and if I feel like it, I may make more. But I'm not making any promises! I still have poems to write, not to mention an Episode of Mad Sci High to finish...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 pm 

By popular demand, my terrible, terrible notebook doodles.

I like this one- the horns could be smaller

This is... allright. I never got the hair just right.

Augh. Fail. Epic, epic, fail. Why can i not draw smiles? Why?![/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 pm 

This is a test:

EDIT: Ok... well, the first test passed more or less better than I expected. I actually got something uploaded online in a recognizable format, without anything getting fuzzy or stupid or anything.

Anyways, this is the result of like a half-hour of spontaneously decided work after I said I'd work on some sprites. This was done more as a test to see how they'd look than anything else. Since I know my character's appearance better than I know anyone else', I chose to use him. There are 2 versions of the pair of sprites: One with green eyes (His eye color) and one with black. (Standard sprite eye color).

Anyways, tell me what you think and be critical. Do they look like abominations? Should I make more? Should the FBI hunt me down and PREVENT me from making more before I gradually drift into making Mad Sci Wars into a terrible sprite comic?

EDIT2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Hmm... they show potential, Tinker. I'm not going to say they're incredible, but I will say that I think you've got talent. It needs to be refined and practiced at, but it's there.

Keep practicing, and you'll be a great artist someday. I know it!

EDIT 3: I agree with Claire. Frederic DOES look adorable.

The ears are what make it.

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:55 pm 

:D :D :D

Fredric looks adorable- and his ears are pierced!

Geez, Tinker, give yourself some more credit.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 pm 

Thanks, Claire. I'm glad you like- I'm one of those people who's too hard on themselves. :D
And Fredric's piercings are awfully cute- I always expect someone to drag him by them, someday...

Edit: Again, these are sketches, done with ballpoint pen, on notepaper. In five minutes. Part of why I despair at them is I know I could do better, if I spent time on them.

Re-Edit: Nice sprite. I like the green eyes better- helps him stand out.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:03 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Thanks, Claire. I'm glad you like- I'm one of those people who's too hard on themselves. :D
And Fredric's piercings are awfully cute- I always expect someone to drag him by them, someday...

That'd be terrible! I imagine it'd really HURT! Even for someone who is moderately invulnerable...

Hmm...although Nega-Zobot might...mwahahahaha....

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:

That'd be terrible! I imagine it'd really HURT! Even for someone who is moderately invulnerable...

Freddy has them too- his are hoops, Fredric uses studs.
And it does- therefore it's easy to get his attention with it. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:
Professor_Tinker wrote:
I always expect someone to drag him by them, someday...

Freddy has them too- his are hoops, Fredric uses studs.
And it does- therefore it's easy to get his attention with it. XD

That sounds like something Claire would do.

"Fredric! Freeeedric!" *tug tug* "Build me something zappy please please please?" *tug tug*

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:14 pm 

Claire wrote:

That sounds like something Claire would do.

"Fredric! Freeeedric!" *tug tug* "Build me something zappy please please please?" *tug tug*

It'd work, too-he haaaates it when you tug his piercings- It's how Andrew would reprimand him when he wa s younger. Big zappy doomy explody rocket gun and out the door before you can blink.

heh. Pavilove's bunny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:52 pm 

:shock:

Hey Tinker, wanna see something creepy? Examine this, if you will. (It's from about three years ago. I drew heads and eyes about the same way you do. *wiggles fingers* Mysteeerious!)

Quote:
Anyways, tell me what you think and be critical. Do they look like abominations? Should I make more? Should the FBI hunt me down and PREVENT me from making more before I gradually drift into making Mad Sci Wars into a terrible sprite comic?

No. Yes. Hehe, no. The robot arm feels kinda off for me. You might need more detail to really carry it across... Might I suggest raising the bittage of your bases? (Megaman, or Kingdom Hearts: CoM? - Er, actually KH:CoM has really detailed, advanced sprites. You might not wanna try them. But they are pretty. *takes out Leon sprite and pets it*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:41 pm 

JanetTor wrote:
:shock:

Hey Tinker, wanna see something creepy? Examine this, if you will. (It's from about three years ago. I drew heads and eyes about the same way you do. *wiggles fingers* Mysteeerious!)

Huh! Well, I'll be damned. Nice to think I'll keep improving in a few years. You should see the stuff from two years ago... oh, so painful. *twitch*

I'll post something cleaned up sometime, for comparison. Hmm... maybe Xerox. he;s easy to draw...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 pm 

Fredric tolerates Claire. I don't think I got it quite right, but it was fun to draw.

I'm working on the smudges.

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 pm 

Bwahahaha! Oh, god... *Q* NT? Oh so not good... Fredric, what hath you wrought?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:18 pm 

I'm not sure which is worse, that he made it, or that he decided, for some unknown reason, to let Claire play with it...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:20 pm 

How about that Claire seems to have already *lit* the stuff? Run!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next