Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Hee-Claire's eyes fixed upon the lit explosive, smiling. And I love the look on Fredric's face-that smile and eye roll.
Good job, Claire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:55 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Hee-Claire's eyes fixed upon the lit explosive, smiling. And I love the look on Fredric's face-that smile and eye roll.
Good job, Claire!

Well, he *is* nearly indestructible....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:19 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Hee! Claire looks so dangerously happy... like she's going to wait a few more seconds and then play an impromptu (and short!) game of Hot Potato with someone. :D

...I'm gonna go shopping for some half-naked, slender males to use as references for the line-ups. Anyone want anything? (Or anyone? ;3 )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:14 pm 

JanetTor wrote:
...I'm gonna go shopping for some half-naked, slender males to use as references for the line-ups. Anyone want anything? (Or anyone? ;3 )

! *falls over*
Dammit, don't DO that! Nggggggggggg. I'll be over there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm 

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 pm 

Doodles! Oodles of them. I don't have the time to do anything major, but I can doodle!

Older ones. The ones of Chicgeek aren't too old, actually. But the others are pre-first-fanart.

Today's. I can't draw guys well, so I'm doing male anatomy studies. (Ask me to draw curvy, busty women, though - Incidentally, anyone want some fruit punch? Or a mint? :twisted: ) Since half the male MCs were identified as thin/slender, I concentrated on that body type.

...And since I've been focusing on Andrew and David, things are switched up a bit. So It Begins will be this evening's cheesecake. :D

Reinterpretations of your character's physical features are welcome.

Last edited by JanetTor on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:08 pm 

SQUEE!!! My short little mechanic, with wings! And with Mecha handing her tools! I love them!
And it looks like you draw guys pretty good to me.

Wanders off happy, still squeeing over art....

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:13 pm 

Glee! Actually the Andrew sketch in the upper right of the old doodles is prettay good. And the coat looks right at the bottom of the second page of recent sketches (and the Andrew next to him is about the right size... ^^). Also Desius's body model would work for Fredric, just sized down a little.

It looks great! Also: Mmm. Cheeeeescaaaaaake. But.. it's of... and... gah!
Edit: Just for the record, I showed this off to my mom. She says you have good process.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 pm 

So cool. And I must say, I really enjoy reading all of the little comments around the drawings. That and just staring at the drawings, of course.

:D

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm 

:D

Quote:
And it looks like you draw guys pretty good to me.

I'm getting better. Drawing guys just still takes feeling out, especially if I don't have references. Women - I've spent so much time drawing them that I can get the proportions and curves mostly right without much effort.

Quote:
Glee! Actually the Andrew sketch in the upper right of the old doodles is prettay good. And the coat looks right at the bottom of the second page of recent sketches (and the Andrew next to him is about the right size... ^^). Also Desius's body model would work for Fredric, just sized down a little.

Sweet! Amalgamation it is. ...I don't mean to break your brain, btw. At least now you kinda know what SiB looks like? (Without his shirt- AGH stop that, brain!) ^^

Quote:
And I must say, I really enjoy reading all of the little comments around the drawings.

Hehe. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm 

oOOo! This is pretty awesome! JaneTor, you really have a lot of talent!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:22 pm 

JanetTor wrote:
Sweet! Amalgamation it is. ...I don't mean to break your brain, btw. At least now you kinda know what SiB looks like? (Without his shirt- AGH stop that, brain!) ^^

*twitch* Noooooooooooooooooo!

Post subject: Re: The Mad Arts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:07 pm 

(Note: I attempted to resize this but lost a lot of detail on it. So unfortunately people will just have to deal with it's awesomeness at full size.)

This awesome picture wasn't drawn by myself. It was drawn by my best friend, who happens to be an extremely talented artist named Andrew. I've been badgering him for various arts of different characters of mine, and this is the first one I've gotten him to draw. (Note: If you have talented artist friends, don't nag them to draw things for you for free. This will put a strain on your friendship and may result in them throwing things at you) The picture itself is intended to be a piece depicting my character, David Toboz, but he decided to draw it more based on my appearance. (I currently have a near-beard, whereas when I started the game I was clean shaven) I personally think he looks more like the post apocalyptic near-future alternate David from that story Desius and I kinda co-wrote back in the day, so that's what I'm going to say it is. The vial he's examining is likely something that Maria Narbon (or someone else from that destitute future) advised him to drink, so he's currently contemplating whether he should drink it, or ensure that it gets destroyed while he safely hides out 20 to 30 miles away.

We may never know for sure which choice he made.

If you're interested, you can check out Andrew's deviantart page here. He's got a lot of awesome stuff up there, including pieces made for a game he and my brother are currently making about a Post-Apocalyptic 1800's London. There's some stuff on his site that definitely wouldn't be out of place in a Mad Scientist themed setting, however.

I particularly love how the Robot Arm came out.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:10 pm 

Coool!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:32 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Neat. I personally think he drank it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:36 pm 

Niiiiice. Aparantly Alt. Future David looks like Dr. House.
He totally tossed it. AT someone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:35 am 

Oooh, nice! The Arm is awesome indeed.

>.>
<.<
...I'm especially jealous of the shoes. (*makes note to practice different styles of shoes*)

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Niiiiice. Aparantly Alt. Future David looks like Dr. House.
He totally tossed it. AT someone.

Hehe! And now that you've said that, the resemblance will not go away. :D

"It sure is, my little echinoid. It sure is."
"No. I mean, literally. That's fictional."
"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:02 pm 

Eh. All things considered being compared to Dr. House is getting off easy. I'm glad everyone likes it!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:19 pm 

Chic:

SiB:

Still (dare I say it?) tinkering on Andrew's profile; more to follow.

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm 

Squee!! You are so talented. It's fun seeing the characters coming to life.

Or, as a true Mad Scientist would say-"IT'S ALIVE!!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:44 pm 

Daaaaang! Those two pictures are very, very nice! I gotta say that I particularly love the one of Chicgeek: The hair definitely is what sells it for me: The level of detail on it looks wonderful and makes her look quite pretty in a casual sort of way. That and the smile. I get the impression that if this were a photograph she'd be kinda embarrassed or sheepish for some reason, and it's a nice look on her.

SiB's picture is pretty neat too, I guess. He looks so serious, though, which kind of bothers me. If he'd just smile, the pose and the picture would make him look nifty, but as it is his dour expression just makes me concerned that he's planning something.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Neeeat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:56 pm 

Yeeeee! So awesome...
I like that SiB seems to be glaring in annoyance at the very panels around him... "Where am I? Why am I in a lineup?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 pm 

*visualizes SiB poking at the "beanpole" listing*
*snerk*

I agree about Chic's hair, Zobot. It looked barely passable until I colored it. That was a pleasant surprise. Hers is probably my favorite so far.

Andrew's and Des's tomorrow, I hope.

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:42 pm 

I'm slowly assembling the heights in my mind... and it;s kind of hilarious. Xerox dreads his turn at the line up... a growing suspicion that he *is* the shortest male...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:48 pm 

Heh-we need Xerox next to the Tinker and Viktor twins! Actually, Chic next to her pop and uncle ras would be funny....
How tall is Fredric? I though he and Andrew were originally on the short side?
At least Xerox's girl/boy is only a couple of inches taller than him...good thing for him she's not the type to wear heels.
Chic is, sometimes-but it doesn't help. :D

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Heh-we need Xerox next to the Tinker and Viktor twins! Actually, Chic next to her pop and uncle ras would be funny....
How tall is Fredric? I though he and Andrew were originally on the short side?
At least Xerox's girl/boy is only a couple of inches taller than him...good thing for him she's not the type to wear heels.
Chic is, sometimes-but it doesn't help. :D

Yeah, Claire has the same problem. And she's the only short one in her entire family. All the other girls are at least 5'8, and the guys are all well over 6'...

You should hear her complaining about it. "And grandpa was *supposed* to be short, and somehow ended up 6'4! Why was I the one who ended up with the phenotype?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 pm 

Andrew is 5'6, a full two inches on Xerox, which *is* short... especially in his familly. I think Fredric might still be growing, so he isn't taller than Xerox... if you don't include ears. XD

I suspect this is why Xerox and Claire are friends...
(Note: if you think about it, there's a very good, sad, reason why Xerox is short...)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:49 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Andrew is 5'6, a full two inches on Xerox, which *is* short... especially in his familly.

:shock: Motherfudge. I had him down for 5'8". (Based on Sayasuke's description, I think...) It shouldn't change much, though. In fact it should fix that over-long neck I gave him.

A few other characters' heights are also estimations, and some are in relation to other characters' heights. As much as it'd be interesting to let the heights be slowly revealed, I'd rather avoid having to redraw a character if I can. So here's what I have down; let me know if you want different measurements for your character.

Lineup by height (for the characters I have descriptions for):

David Toboz (6'3")
Jane Narbon w/ heels (6'2")
So It Begins (6'0")
Wallace Caine (6'0", "give or take a few inches")
Sayasuke (5'11")
Thaddeus Guy (5'10", "medium height")
Jane Narbon w/o heels (5'9")
Andrew Tinker (5'6")
Ingrid (5'5", "average height")
Desius (5'4", "taller than Chic, shorter than Andrew" - hey this still works! yaaay!)
Dr. Amino (5'3", "a bit on the short side, but not that much")
Janitor (5'3")
Chicgeek (5'0")
Claire (4'11"-ish, "probably slightly shorter than Chic")

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:52 pm 

Sheesh...David's freakishly tall... I shouldn't have based my character on myself originally. *Sighs*

-Xin Yun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next