Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Arts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am 
Established Mad Scientist

Thanks for the info!
@ Claire: Sorry Claire, but adding adoptions would require the thing to look a bit like a Mobius strip, and I don't have three dimensional paper.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about Laitu! *headslap* I knew there was something I was missing.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Sarah McLaren wrote:
Thanks for the info!
@ Claire: Sorry Claire, but adding adoptions would require the thing to look a bit like a Mobius strip, and I don't have three dimensional paper.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about Laitu! *headslap* I knew there was something I was missing.

Claire: *pout!* DESIUS gets to be adopted! And I want to be Da's daughter, too!

Laitu: Yay! I exist!

Teal: *trying to fold the paper into a Mobius strip* Peep?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm 

The Chimera is Jess Gallagher, now Xerox. Call her Jessica and you die. Mother-Priscella Gallagher. Father-if I ever gave him a first name, I've forgotten it. So, he'll be Dr.Stephen Gallagher.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:36 pm 

Thanks, Chic! I'll get on that right away.

@ Claire: Desius is not shown to be adopted. He's only even on there because of his genetic contribution to Fredric. His symbol IS directly underneath Gamma and Delta Tinker... but that's a coincidence :wink:
You ARE Andrew's daughter, just not shown to be unless I manage to come up with a better system.

@ Laitu: Yes, you do! Sorry!

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

ooooooh pretty...

Ok notes time:

Zander is the grandson of a brother of Luke, Grace, and Alexander Umbra by way of a mysterious and very much dead father.

PSL(Peter Stanwood Laughlin) is a distant relative of the Veelan family

Aaaaaand I need more relatives for my characters... Sarah you have set something monstrous into motion... I'll have another 20-30 characters this time next week XD

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 pm 
Heh heh heh.

chicgeek wrote:
The Chimera is Jess Gallagher, now Xerox. Call her Jessica and you die. Mother-Priscella Gallagher. Father-if I ever gave him a first name, I've forgotten it. So, he'll be Dr.Stephen Gallagher.

Jane: Must... resist... calling... Jess... Jessica...

Also: Wow, thanks for the chart, Sarah!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 pm 

You're welcome!

------

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 pm 

Ok, WOW. I can't believe I missed this chart, Sarah!

I'm sooo embarassed!

So far it's coming along pretty well!

Anyway, I may as well throw my two cents in about Geneologies. Some of this may be redundant with what you already ahve on the chart, sorry.

We'll start with...

The Toboz Family
(Such as it is)

The oldest know Toboz on record is Richard Leslie Toboz, also known as "Pappy". There's no formal record of his birth, although he was granted U.S citizenship after fighting in Vietnam (Apparently it involved sabotaging a frogman experiment or something) which lists his birthdate as being in 1962. However, he claims to be over 90. Any questions about discrepancies in his age quickly degenerate into rants about "Timey-whimy shenanigans" and result in the questioner being bapped with a cane. He eventually settled down with a nice sane girl, Samantha Toboz, and had a kid or two. These days he's mostly content to stay inside the horrible monsterous deathtrap he calls a house, endlessly adding more and more security systems and death machines and tricks and puzzles and exploding lawn gnomes... Claire is doubly-forbidden from walking on his lawn for fear that she'd end up a crater of goo.

Pappy Toboz's children aren't very well known. This is mainly because of the actions of his only daughter, Robin Toboz. Robin was a wild child, even for a budding Mad, and ended up getting possessed by a nightmarish Lovecraftian entity from outside the universe I privately refer to as an Entropy Horror. This ended up making the host-body-that-was-Robin-Toboz nearly invincible, unless she was in the presence of evidence of her past life. So she/it as a precaution destroyed as much evidence of her existence as possible. Any trace of her birth certificate, baby pictures, and the like were wiped out. If Pappy has any he won't say. This almost made her unstoppable, except that a certain commander of a certain M kept a half-water damaged file with grievances on her in it, which led to the Host body being destroyed. However, her erasure of her past life became difficult for...

Richard, Zobot, and Sarah Toboz. Three half-siblings, all Robin's children. Sarah, the youngest, died early on in an incident which caused Zobot to snap and go from being nice and self-sacrificing to cold and angry at himself. The three kids, their whole legal history erased when they were young, basically went off the grid for fear of being split up by child services. Eventually they got split up anyway, and Richard married...

Lady Katharine Drezebel
(Call her by her first name, or heaven forbid "Kathy" and she'll trap you in a fanart for eternity). Family apparently died when she was young. Her dad's death made her go mad. Currently pregnant. She'll eventually have three kids, who in order of age are Cleopatra, Cassandra, and Cassius, who take their dad's last name.

There's also Mockery, a clone of Sarah Toboz, who is now named Ann Toboz, and is being raised by Richard and Lady Drezebel. She doesn't talk much and likes rocks. Will eventually end up being the big-sisterish figure to Richard and Drezebel's three biological kids.

Michael Toboz isn't TECHNICALLY a Toboz, but has more or less adopted Richard and David as his "Uncles" and took their last name based on his origins. He's formally a clone of a Mad teenager named Johnny Noir, whose parents were Cerise Noir and Johnathan Scarlett (who took her last name). More detail on this lineage will probably not come up, since these characters are beyond Tertiary, save for maybe Micahel.

The NPC Family

Sarcastic Female NPC was born to very nerdy parents who had their names legally changed to "Gruff Bartender NPC" (who does, in fact, run a bar) and "Mouthy Wench NPC". She also has a sister, Chaotic Good NPC, who is 7 years younger than her. Sarcastic gets her case of Clark Kent syndrome from her father, but that's a story for another time.

Natalie

Her geneology is still being somewhat determined. It's known she has had a grandmother who was a Valkyrie, and her father, who was abandoned as a child at an orphanage, grew up fairly normal and became an accountant. It's rumored that she may have some Jaeger blood in her somewhere as well, given her physical capabilities, but that's probably just talk...

Khan

Khan is a frigging tiger. His parents, Rhett and Scarlett, are both tigers who live in a tiger pit at a club in Xyon City designed to cater to Mads, who achieved sentience by eating an unknown chemical in one of the guests they got to devour. Khan has three unnamed younger siblings, as there's not much for two bored tigers to do while living in a pit.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 pm 

Phew! Infodump! Thanks, I'll get on it right away.

------

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 pm 

....I hate to add to the giant infodumps you're having to deal with, but i figured I'd let you know that Wally does have parents. Walter and Nancy Caine, who aren't related to any of the rest of the characters besides him. Additionally, Lagos the cyborg rabbit is related to Wally and Epsilon Tinker. It's only slightly (something on the order of 20% from each? She's still mostly rabbit, just modifications), but I figured I'd throw that out there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 am 
Heh heh heh.

Wait, are people submitting information?

Okay, here goes.

Jane Sigma Narbon is the daughter of Helen Beta Narbon and Dave Davenport. Helen Beta Narbon is a clone of (Grandmother) Helen (Alpha) Narbon, otherwise known as "Helen's mom". Before that, the lineages vanish into the mists of time.

It should be noted that Jane was originally born with a rare condition where the Madness gene was there, but permanently repressed/locked away. SoItBegins' meddling changed all that (she now has focused, controllable Madness), so he should probably be put down as at least a Meddler in Jane's condition.

Post subject: Here you go, Demo! Sorry for having you wait.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:48 pm 

Here's an attempt I did at Demothesis... I don't know who it is, but it's not him. Still, I like the way the coat came out.

Attachments:
Demothesis Attempt.JPG
Demothesis Attempt.JPG [ 170.31 KiB | Viewed 1601 times ]

------

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:54 pm 

Well, whoever he is, I like. Well done!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:51 pm 

Well, it may not look like Demo, but it's a close one to AD on an apparently bad day. ^.^ I like it.

And here's your main three. Damien was done entirely in the normal way, all ink, but I decided to experiment with digital hatching/crosshatching, so Sarah's had a bit of that and Axel's a lot more and I have to say it looks good and it's a lot faster than the actual hatching process.

Attachments:
Sarah.jpg
Sarah.jpg [ 92.46 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
Damien.jpg
Damien.jpg [ 180.29 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
Axel.jpg
Axel.jpg [ 172.91 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:58 pm 

*speechless*
Wow! These are great! :D
You've captured their characters perfectly!
I can't say anything more.
Wow.

P.S. I'm glad you like my one. Thanks.

------

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm 

Lessee. Dr. Viktors parents are Mama Kitka, and one (?) Viktor, son of a Lady Viktor Ne Sturmovaus, which was how the name got shifted. Fredrics parents were a stag hare named Reginald, and a pet shop rabbit named Mimsy. His avian genetics are a honge podge of golden eagle, dove, and osprey.

What chic said about the Viktor Twins- Vladimir is the one in a relationship with minerva and has the triplets. Rasputin might be in a relationship with Ethan Entropy, who is Andrew godfather. Dr. Risk, Andrew Grandfather, 's wife was named Aularia, and was not a mad. Looks fantastic!

Also, all this art is fantastic. Ironicaly, Damien looks a bit like Xerox there... heeh. Probably a spiritual similarity.

Post subject: This comic brought to you by Blank White Background (TM).
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:37 pm 

- the lazy artist's friend!

This is a page from a thing I'm working on, although it may just wither and die and never be finished (though I hope not!). It'

Attachments:
CCF03042011_00000.jpg
CCF03042011_00000.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 1533 times ]

------

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:40 am 
Heh heh heh.

Ooh, I really like your comic!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:04 pm 

Here's some sketching I was absent mindedly doing. Check out angry Axel.

Attachments:
Better version.jpg
Better version.jpg [ 593.16 KiB | Viewed 1460 times ]

------

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:56 pm 

I drew a thing! I'm posting it because I haven't drawn a thing in a really long time. Freaking school.

Anyway, Crash. And me attempting to draw something 'cool'. I'm fond of the eyes, at least, though.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:40 pm 

I like! The binary is a nice touch. Of course, now I'm wondering just who ticked him off...

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 pm 

I did another arts! I think I like the Crash one better, but they both came out pretty well.

Burn doing magic. Inside a rainbow, apparently.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 pm 

Jane Narbon! I spent a lot of time fussing this drawing, but I think it came out ok.

It's not as awesome as Revel's stuff, but I still think it's kind of amusing.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:45 am 
Heh heh heh.

Eeeeeeeeeeee~ :mrgreen:

Thanks, Claire!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:28 pm 

And one with Jennifer. Because why not.

Also, I just like pajamas.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm 

Claire? Jane blowing a poisoned kiss was perfect. And Jennifer, hee! Great drawing. I love the phrase 'badass in ducky pajamas'.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:51 pm 

Here is Jane Narbon! Sorry it's not coloured, but I was afraid it would mess up the shading. Anyway, enjoy.

Attachments:
Jane Narbon.png
Jane Narbon.png [ 28.63 KiB | Viewed 1305 times ]

------

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm 

Ok. This one will take some explaining

A while ago I joined a game called "The Process" online. It's an alternate reality game centered around a creepy company named Colefusion. One of the things we did was create products to submit that Colefusion make with their amazing technology. My submission was based off Mad Sci Wars, wtih the drawings of David's robot arm, and what do you know? Mine was accepted.

They asked me to make formal blueprints of what I've come to call "The Proto-Arm", so I made one with some help from a few friends. Here it is, if anyone's curious:

This isn't exactly what David's Arm is like, but it's based off the same design.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: The Forest of Madness
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:29 pm 

This is something I drew waaaay back when I first started reading MSW. I've been dithering about posting it for the better part of a year. See if you can guess what scene I read immediately before drawing it.
I may do a colour version. Like I may finish that other comic, my short story and the second version of the family tree.

(Bear in mind that this was drawn in pencil, scanned, tweaked, printed and scanned again over it's life time, hence the quality.)

Attachments:
The Forest of Madness.png
The Forest of Madness.png [ 156.74 KiB | Viewed 1288 times ]

------

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:07 am 

I like the expression on his face, the smirk, you can see him thinking "Heh.", never noticing what's behind the trees...then right afterwards, coming face to face with it. Oh, the evil grin on the dragon/monster, that view of it is scary! Nicely done! I love all the details. I'm tempted to find the post that inspired it now and link to it. ^^

Zobot, congrats on the arm blueprint being accepted! That blueprint is great, you and your friend did a really good job. Hmm, maybe we should keep those plans on file for the next time David needs a replacement arm.

C Valente

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next