Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Arts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

If you do one for Sarcastic all you really have to do is draw her with and without her glasses on, or with her hair in a ponytail/worn long. :)

That being said: YEEEEE! Awesome new artwork! I love these ones too!

I think the gruff, scruffy one of "Gale" is my personal favorite of this batch. But it's a close competition... the ones of Jane Narbon seem to be visually daring you NOT to vote for them.

You have a pretty cool style, JaneTor! I'm so jealous!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:45 pm 

Oh. Wow. More cool art! Jane in the evil heart shirt! Janet and Gale personas! The unflappable Ingrid! And Blazerflarey, too!
You rock.
You don't have to do multiple personas for Chimera-I don't want to break the artist. :D
And did I mention you rock?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Wow! I like the Jane Narbon pics. Especially Innocent Jane. The evil heart shirt with that expression... she looks so nonthreatening! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 pm 

Bwa ha ha ha... Jane is the same size as Andrew! I never knew... heh.
Of course, Andrew only wears his 4' heels for special occasions so i diddn;t bother mentioning them. They're really very insensible for everyday wear.
You;re just lucky Freddy doesn't have his extra alt. Forms yet. XD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:41 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

The reason I wanted to get the line-ups done ASAP? Holiday/seasonal fanart. Unfortunately, out of six planned, four will be late and one will be really late (due to complexity). Here's the one I have finished:

Also unfortunately, Dr. Amino isn't here to see it. :cry: Since this one deserves to be colored for maximum effect, I'm compromising. A colored version will be posted when she comes back, although I have to do the coloring now anyway. Gotta have something for my relatives' Christmas cards. :roll:

In the meantime, happy holidays! I wish you all the best. *hugs*

"It sure is, my little echinoid. It sure is."
"No. I mean, literally. That's fictional."
"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:49 pm 

Even a tinfoil santa hat! Everytime you post, I'm more impressed with your art! That is fabulous. I love it!
And happy winter holiday to all of my mad friends!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:41 pm 

Bwa ha ha ha! I love it... anyone else imagining she's *aiming* for Santa?
Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am 

JanetTor, you are an artistic genius. Seriously, a genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:55 pm 

:D *hugs Amino* As promised, "The Gift-Giver" colored.

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:04 pm 
Heh heh heh.

NIIIICE.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:56 pm 

Michael (current form):

Frederic:

Frederic's profile is by no means done. I'm tempted to redo the chibi form; it still doesn't seem right... But I need chibi-Frederic for the next fanart. If I can't get it right in the sketch, I'll redo the profile. Oh, and heavy influence was drawn from Joe England's avatar in Zebra Girl. Heavy, heavy influence. :oops: I didn't even realize I'd taken the pose from there until I checked how Joe does his ears...

Hrm... Back later. *ambles off to sketch*

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Neat!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm 

Oh, WOW! Those are so good! I want to rumple their hair-Fredric, because he's just so cute, and Michael, just because it'll annoy him. :D

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 pm 

...Must... resist...urge...to...make...Michael... a main... character...

Michael: Personally, I say we vote on it.

Man, I really love the Michael one. He looks pretty much how I envisioned him, with a physical appearance that makes him look absolutely NOTHING like you'd expect someone who acted like him to look. It's amazing and awesome and perfect!

I dunno... maybe it's just because of his distinct appearance, but I'm kinda less enthusiastic about the Frederic one. He looks cool and all, but... I dunno. It's just something about the wings that bug me. Sorry. *Shrugs apologetically*

Still, your art is spectacular. I'd love to see more.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:27 pm 

Gleee! I love these... but... agggh, I hate myself for having compaints...
I adore Fredric, but there's a few things that I need to correct...
Fredric's ears are further back on his head, so that they don't do that melt-into-the-face thing, which had always bugged me a bit. Instead they could be mistaken for fake ears on a headband. Also I always imagined them rounder- kinda almond shaped and a little shorter.
And his body ought to be basically Andrew's, just shorter- very skinny, and long-legged. And his shirt should be tight and short because he's a weirdo who wears muscle shirts. And his hair is more all-around spikey... And his wings could be more rounded and generally chibied. Very round head.

Gahhh, I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so picky. T_T Otherwise he's super adorable, and the Chibi Fredric is perfect and offended. >< I'll be in the corner resisting the urge to edit this away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:48 pm 

:( *hugs Zobot and Tinker* Gah! No no no! Don't feel sorry! That's why I'm doing these profiles first. So complaints/nitpicks can be addressed, so I don't have to worry about having to re-draw the actual art. (And you don't have to worry about messing up the actual fanart, Tinker, because I played KH: Re:CoM instead of sketching.) The profiles weren't meant to be fanart so much as glorified doodles making the way easier for the pretty things. I'm not happy with how long they've taken, and it's a bit of a pain to have to redo them, but I can't deny that my work will be better for it. Look at the revisions I had to do on Andrew's. There were maybe three of them, right? But by the time I finished the last one, I could draw males. Not only that, but there was a tangible increase in quality - I don't know if I can stress that enough. In the past few months I feel like I've learned more about drawing than I did the rest of 2008. Tinker, the rest of the male cast could not have been drawn half so well if I hadn't had to strive to get Andrew right. I'll actually have to redo David's because it pains me to look at it. In short: Don't sit in a corner. Don't feel awful. Your criticism can only help.

Whew. Erm. I feel very strongly about this, so please don't apologize. That goes for everyone else as well. Say what you want to say, and don't ever be sorry for that. You are under no obligation to love everything I put up here. Fer serious, yo.

*sets out cake*

"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 pm 

*eats cake, hugging Janet* gahhh... thenkyuuuu... I'm just always so happy to see my characters drawn, that i feel guilty for finding faults. But I figure it;s good to know what I want, right?

I'll do my best! Although like I said, I love Chibi-Fredric. He so cute I just want to bully him...
I suspect Micheal feels the same wa ysometimes... I can just see him poking Fredric repeatedly. XD

And I vote to make him a main character! *thumbs up*
I mean, what if he heard about what was going on now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 pm 

Michael: Admittedly, I would be hard pressed to resist going inside Frederic's head for some light-hearted blackmail fodder to tease him with later, but... I'm also kinda busy helping nMichael learn how to REALLY give Emperor Tinker some headaches. I think he's showing some progress. I suppose if people voted on it, though, I would have no choice but to attend.

The Writer: No! Bad character, bad! No going over my head!

And really, the only thing I don't like about the Frederic picture is the wings. The Chibi ones look perfect, but... the big version of Frederic... how would he fly with those? They look kinda...glued on. I guess I just imagined him with a larger wingspan, but that's just my interpretation.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
And really, the only thing I don't like about the Frederic picture is the wings. The Chibi ones look perfect, but... the big version of Frederic... how would he fly with those? They look kinda...glued on. I guess I just imagined him with a larger wingspan, but that's just my interpretation.

I just figured he shrunk them down so they wouldn't be in the way, and grew them big for flying. I like the casual wave he's doing-and is that a spiked bracelet, or his tectil?

And I think Michael's becoming a main character....he and Fredric each make a good foil for the other. I think Jess is reaching main character status-I have as much fun with her as I do with Chic. Sometimes more. And she was originally just a one shot, throw away character. Heh.
Xerox is going to have some gray hair appearing in all the green...

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:25 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
how would he fly with those? They look kinda...glued on. I guess I just imagined him with a larger wingspan, but that's just my interpretation.

Ah! That I can explain! Usually Fredric keeps his wings that size so that they don't get in the way- his full size wings are almost 12ft tip to tip when they're full sized. ^^
But when he gets rid of them, he feels uncomfortable... so he compromised by shrinking them. The same theory led to Energy Saver mode.
Erm, try not to mention the laws of energy conservation around him these days...

Fredric: The mass exchange... back into energy? I do work like a battery... but then how--- how--- gahhhh!!!! *colapses, twitching* Oi 'ate magiiiiic!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:38 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Michael: I'm also kinda busy helping nMichael learn how to REALLY give Emperor Tinker some headaches. I think he's showing some progress.

nJennifer: Interesting... although I do hope you know what you're doing- it would be a pity if we had to intervene... We *do* hate it when people cut into our Scrabble time...

Jennifer: Oh, shut up. You lot are ridiculous- it would be nice if you did some *real* work for a change. You're making us look bad...

nJennifer: Oh, so touchy. It's not our fault you lot are-

The Writer: Both of you be quiet! You're supposed to be mysterious and sneaky, not fighting with each other in the comments section! I need to write less willful characters...

Oh, and I would definitely vote to make Michael a main character. :D

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm 

If we really have to vote I vote yes, but I don't really think that being a main character is something you decide.

It just sort of happens. People drift, as they become more important to the plot, as they get mentioned more and more. I don't think anyone decides to make someone a main character. The character just becomes one.

And as long as he doesn't have to kill of another main character to get in (a la YGOTAS), I'm fine with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:45 pm 

(Originally placed in the wrong place on the forum. Please delete this post if discovered!)

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:59 pm 

Oooh... nicely written... and very interesting. I'm looking forward to your chapter.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 pm 

Hmm. Two universes connected, hmm.... I *woinder*.

Andrew: In our defense we were rather distraught at the time.
N. Tinker: Oh, yes. Indeed. Absolutely out of it. Really. I mean, what with the attempt to key in on a universe far away overextending the dimensional portals capacity....
Andrew: Right, right. Just happened to snap onto each other as the nearest possible lock. That's all!
N. Tinker: *glances around* Are you sure we diddn't... you know...
Andrew: What? No, no... I don;t think. I thought you couldn't do that!
N.Tinker: Of course I can! Why else would an Evil Dictator carry around a 'Day Planner'?!

... yeah. Reality Warpers. Sheesh. Interesting to note is that the connections seem to only be Character Related- and not 100% even.

There is, say, a 'Fredric Zeta Tinker' who is the son of Andrew Tinker, godson to a 'Arty', with a steampunk inventor of a second cousin ('Aunt'), and a ability with Magic and so on so forth.
However, whereas (for example) +Fredric is crushing on a rather scruffy henchmen of the Guy variety, -Fredric is secretly courting his best friend Mi-

Freddy: *holding gun to Luc's head* Yeah, ah'm just gonna stop y' there. Goodnight, everybody!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:37 am 

Radcliffe: Whadya' mean scr'ffy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 am 

Yeah... that essay was meant to be put over in the Mad Notebook section. So it's been moved.

And a word of warning for people too curious in Dimensional technology: tread lightly. Various peoples have postulated the existence of far worse things than the fae lurking *Outside* the boundaries of stable universes, and it doesn't do to make yourselves known to them, as they are unknowable and monsterous to the minds of man, and even possibly to Mads as well. There are parasites, for example...

This doesn't actually have anything to do with my chapter, but it's an interesting point to speculate on. :lol:

Brr....stupid creepy Orz...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 am 

Claire: They aren't *all* that bad. Lots of unstable universes are fun! And if you get the pattern right, you can find all sorts of neat things. Sure, there all also those unstable universes that don't have anyone or anything in them... and they're really boring... and lonely... But there are also those nifty 'limited' ones, that are good for storage, and every once in a while you get a blank one where you can make stuff, and there's nothing *really* scary...

What about that pink marshmallow you found?

Claire: AAAAAAH!!! It's gonna eat me! Get it away from me! *hides under a bed* Ok, fine. Maybe there are *some* really scary things. *whimpers*

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 pm 

That Guy wrote:
Radcliffe: Whadya' mean scr'ffy?

I stand by my statements on the nature of 'Scruff' as it pertains to you, man. Seen your hair recently?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm 

Radcliffe: Las' time I saw Mama she sayd the same thang, buh ever'ya time I try an' go geh it cut, the girls in mah dorm tie m' up an' I miss the appoin'ment...an' the res' of mah classes tha' day...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next