Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: The Frankenstein 1000 Grand Prix
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Phase 1: The Registration Period-

Like many big things, it began with a whimper, rather than a bang. David Toboz walked outside one afternoon to check his mail.

"Hmm...what's this? It's a strange letter from... the Mysterious Shadowy Organization? Who are they? And for that matter, what would they want with me?" He withdrew the yellow envelop and opened it, unfurling a trifold pamphlet inside. Unbeknownst to him, a small white powder drifted down from the letter, floating into the air around him. The letter read as follows:

Dear RESIDENT MAD:

That season has come upon us again, and we find ourselves at the dawn of yet another year of the Frankenstein Grand Prix! In just 1 week, Mad scientists from around the globe will be gathering in Ogdenville, just TWO states away from your present location, to compete for the prestigious title of Elite Grand Mad Scientist, as well as this year's lovely prize, an authentic relic from the Pre-Heterodyne era of Mad Science! There will also be cash prizes for the Mads taking 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place in the competition.

In this year's events, the following core skills, essential for any mad scientist, will be tested:

-Torturing Those Who Oppose You!
-Experimenting on Henchmen!
-Creation of Terrifying Monstrosities!
-Perversions of Mundane Scientific Principles!
-Insane Ranting!
-Vanquishing Those Foolish Heroes!
-And Much Much More!

Remember, Registration ends in a week. The less of your opposition that manage to make it to this year's event means less competition for you down the line, so be as ruthless (or divorced from a woman named Ruth) as you can get away with! Any contestants must be present in person at the Registration Booth with a $5,000 entry fee in hand in order to participate.

Don't forget! For those that participated last year, this is your big opportunity for a rematch with last year's Elite Grand Mad Scientist, your big chance to utterly destroy him. For last year's Elite Grand, this is your chance to defend your title and prove to the world who reigns supreme!

Would-be Participants should note the following:
1. A single henchman is required for some events. If none are available to you, a MSO "Plush Hench Buddy" can be provided.
2. Any attempts to influence the decisions of MSO's fair and entirely unbiased judges is prohibited, and will be met with expulsion from the event, being dropped into the feral wolf pits, and then being committed to a heavily guarded sanitarium in scenic Gotham City. You have been warned. We aren't having a repeat of the Helen Narbon Incident this year.
3.Alternate-universe copies are prohibited from entering our contest. If they want to win they can have their own contest!
4. Interfering with the efforts of other contestants is permitted... unless one is caught doing it. Being caught cheating is grounds for expulsion and being dropped into the feral wolf pits.
5. All entry fees are nonrefundable.
6. Please exercise some restraint regarding property damage. Any damage caused by an individual mad scientist ranging beyond (1) broken building will be billed to the Mad Scientist in question, unless it happens in the final event, in which case it's both forgiven and encouraged.
7. Employing more than one henchman for this contest is prohibited and grounds for being dropped into the feral wolf pits. You have been warned.
8. All entrants must sign a waiver agreeing not to carry out any threats on the lives or well being of MSO operatives or our management as a result of the outcome of this event.
9. As is the tradition for this contest, the previous year's Elite Grand Mad Scientist is required to participate, and will be brought in against their will if necessary. As a consolation, they are not required to go through Registration or required to pay the Entry Fee.
10. Equipment for each event will be provided by the MSO, and any unauthorized equipment, even something as small as a pen and paper, will be confiscated prior to the Mad in question participating in the event. Illegally sneaking in equipment is grounds for expulsion, a trip to the feral wolf pits, and a free vacation to a well guarded Sanatarium.

David sighed. "Well, um, I guess it looks interesting, kinda, but it also sounds horrible. Who would want to torture people and make monster...ici...tes..." He took a final breath, wheezed, and fell to the ground.

Soon his body was surrounded by thick necked, barrel chested men wearing black sunglasses and accompanying black suits. The one of them wearing a blue necktie flipped open a cell phone and called a number on speed dial.

"This is Team Snugglecakes reporting in, Max Momma. We have successfully apprehended last year's contest winner, as well as his minion, although she preferred to be called a sidekick, sir. As predicted, the drugs we purchased from Helen Beta Narbon worked like a charm, sir."

A wirey, scratchy voice echoed back. "Excellent work, Snugglecakes Team Leader! Now then, secure the cargo, and then inform Teams Fluffly Bunny, Minty Fresh, and Sparkleshine to begin Operation: Distribute Pamphlets within their designated regions."

"Understood sir. Every mad scientist within the tri-county area will be aware of this contest within the hour, sir. If I may ask a question, Max Momma?"

"Permitted, Snugglecakes Team Leader."

"In our next budget meeting, can you try and convince the Department leaders to set aside some money to devote to coming up with good codenames?"

"I will try, Snugglecakes Team Leader. I will try. Now move out!"

Men in black suits began spreading across the land, going door to door and distributing identical pamphlets to each and every residence with a registered or unregistered mad scientist living within it.

This year was most likely going to be their largest Grand Prix yet.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Professor Andronicus opened his front door to find a small pamphlet. This in and of itself was interesting as it would have taken some doing to avoid the trap on the doorstep.

He opened pamphlet and read it with a smile. "Perfect," he said vanishing back into his lair to pack.

As he threw various cogs, springs, engines, and things in a pile he began a soliloquy.

"Yes this is perfect. I can finally have my revenge on Professor Zobot. He's become a moron now, it's the perfect opportunity. I will show him the icy pain of defeat I've had to face this past year." He threw a spinning blade into the pile.

"This year it will be mine. The fame. The recognition. The bragging rights. I will show those fools who is the maddest. They will all quake in fear of the name Gregor Andronicus."

"Muahahahahah Ha Ha ha ha!"

He caught a small movement in the corner of his eye. "Ah Mister Guy-Pack your things. We're going on a trip."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:26 pm 

Fredric stood nervously, unsure of just what to do with his hands.
His father, Andrew, was calmly sipping tea, seemingly unfazed by his sons declaration.

"So... you're sure about this, then? It's a big decision, not to be taken lightly." he said finally, setting his teacup down.

"well.. yeh. I mean, I know it's a big deal, but it means a lot to me, and I gotta give it a shot. I just... I know I'll regret this f'r th' rest of m' life if I don't try." he said firmly, ears swaying as he nodded.

Andrew sighed, knowing he couldn't refuse... he had to let his son choose for himself, even if Andrew diddn't fully approve... but...

"And this young man, Micheal isn't it? I, well, I'm the last person who could argue, but... do you really trust him? I don't want you to get hurt." he said, pursing his lips slightly. As a Father, it was his wont to be protective, after all...

Fredric considered the point, and nodded firmly.
"Yeh. I trust 'im, Da... I know how he comes off, but... we understand each other, yanno?" he said, scuffing his foot on the ground.

Andrew sighed, and finally nodded.
"Very well... you have my permission to enter the Prix- but don't think I'll go easy on you." he said grumpily, signing the Parental Permission form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm 

~Sometime, Somewhere~
"Primmy are you suuuuure about this?"

"Absolutely. I have the time-travel permit, and the proper authorization for vacation time all ready, a spare box of candy cigs, and I am *not* missing this."

"Yeah, but Boss... you can't even control your Voice yet, and you-"

"Augh, Lemon... I know that I technically went mad recently, but I've been *going* Mad since I was eighteen. Hell, if you go by old Spark rules, 'Breakthrough' is your first big invention- and that was eighth grade."

"Well, well, yeah, but... but... I mean... it was so rough for you."

"Meh. The first time was worse- the second was just End|effect. I need to do this- I need to figure out what I'm capable of now." He closed a suitcase, packed mostly with clothing and such.
He'd let his hair grow a little, and his sunglasses were a lighter tint. There was a scar on his face, just over his nose.

"Aw, you just wanna see if someone who never went to collage could win."

"Heh. Maybe."
:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:10 pm 

Chic reads her invite with glee. "Woohoo! Yes!" She calls out for her henchman. "Des! We gotta get packed right now! Des?....Des?"
No answer. Chic belatedly remembers Des left yesterday on some mysterious errand. Why did she let him wheedle her into giving him time off again?
"Well...crap."
Okay, she is *not* showing up hench-less. Hmm....Sparky? Smarter than she lets on, but no hands.
Mecha does have fine motor control, but he's not mobile. While it's interesting to theorise if a cutting would have Mecha's personality, or be a distinct individual, there isn't really time to run experiments now.
Jess? She'd do it, but they'd probably never allow her in as a mere hench.
Hmm...Time for a visit -it's much harder to turn someone down in person.

"Absolutlely not!"
"But-it's the Grand Prix! Couldn't you-"
"Preposterous! It isn't my fault you let your henchman get away."
"Well, yeah...but Des said it was important...and I didn't know the Prix was starting up. And anyway, Des is family-even if he is a pest."
"Still, it's hardly *my* concern, now is it?"
"Aw, you've been grumbling about wanting to get away from the library for a bit. This'd be perfect!"
"Young lady, being a henchperson is *not* my idea of a vacation! "
Chic looks imploringly with the big brown eyes.
The librarian grumbles. "That didn't work when you were fourteen, and it's not working now."
Chic smiling inside-she knows her old friend's weakening-the softy.
"Honestly! Just because I'm jaegerkin, you think-"
Chic interrupts. "Oh, no! This is a job that'll take all the smarts we can muster. Your being jaeger is just a bonus. Please, Farnsworth?"
"Well..."
"I'll split any winnings-and owe you a favor."
"A favor, hmm?" Farnsworth smiles toothily. "I will hold you to that you know-*if* I agree. "
"Absolutely!" Chic smiles winningly. "And you know there's bound to be a good brawl or two. Say you'll act as my hench, please?"
"Hmm..." Farnsworth pauses. " And if young Desius returns before registration-I'm off the hook, right? Still-oh, very well.I suppose I can-"
"Great! We'll leave as soon as you're packed! We're taking the cycle."
He sighes. "Must we?"
"Heck, yeah! No stopping for gas with that, I could go cross country if I had to, I don't need to sleep with my coffee derivatives, and the way I drive? Piece of cake. I've got the sidecar hooked up-let's get this show on the road already!"
He sighes again. Why does he let himself get talked into these things?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:28 pm 

Amino paces across the room, ranting insanely to herself. "They said I wasn't good enough, they said I didn't have the expertise needed to win. They said that cloning an army of chinchillas is hardly a worthwile accomplishment compared to the work of other Mads, but they are wrong! I will show those fools exactly who they are dealing with! I will enter this competition and I will defeat them with the sheer might of my evil genius!! Then, they will learn to fear the name of Dana N. Amino!!! Bwahahaha!!!!"

"Um...ma'am? What are you doing? Who are you talking about, anyways?" Ingrid looks up from the invitation, puzzled.

Amino looks up from her ranting. "Oh. Sorry. I'm just practicing for the Prix. I figure I've got the 'Insane Ranting' competition in the bag."

"Of course, ma'am. In the meantime, could you practice something else? It's kind of hard to concentrate with you mumbling to yourself like that."

"I could practice 'Experimenting on Henchmen' instead, if you prefer."

"'Insane Ranting' sounds fine, ma'am."

"I thought it would." Amino grins happily. "Oh, this is too perfect! I finally get to prove myself as an accomplished Mad to make up for the fiasco at the Mad Scientist Awards. I'll be able to wreak vengeance on my various nemeses, and I hear Green-Clad Man was last year's winner, so he's required to enter!"

"That's great, ma'am," Ingrid says, while calculating how many coffee shops she'd need to rob in order to pay the entrance fee, not to mention the overtime wages she'd be earning at the Prix.

"And thanks to this, I will show everyone that I, Dr. Dana N. Amino, am truly a force to be reckoned with! After all, how many Mads can say that they were personally invited to partake in the Frankenstein 1000 Grand Prix?"

"Actually, ma'am, it says every Mad in the world was invited."

Amino glares at Ingrid. "You always have to belittle my achievements, don't you, Ingrid?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 pm 

Janet Torvalds crawls out of the cardboard box that is her home, and is in mid-stretch when she sees the pamphlet lying neatly across a nearby garbage can. "A contest?" She reads through it, sighs, slumps against her box. "Hm. I want to go... but this looks like a pretty big deal. Dr. Gluon'll probably be there. But I want to go. But he'll be looking for me - But I want -" She leaps to her feet. "Fine! I'll go! I just won't compete. I'll just watch. Yep. Really. Should be perfectly safe." Relieved at having made her decision, she sits down again. A moment passes.

"Now how am I going to get there?" she wonders. Ten minutes later she's rummaging through dumpsters, looking for used tupperware, a set of cards (only the touristy kind will do), and a few broken vacuums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 pm 

There's a pamphlet for Mistress. Is it really time for the Frankenstein Grand Prix already? Fun!

...Uh-oh. If I run into someone I know... but I don't think I need to worry about that. Dr. Nitro got bored after competing thirty-odd times, so he doesn't do it anymore, and none of them ever compete. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even invited. I guess one of my Villains might be there, but I should be able to handle them.

Good thing, too. I don't think it would be as easy to talk Mistress out of going to the Prix as it was to talk Dr. Smith out of going to the Mad Scientist awards. And I only managed to pull *that* off by sheer luck.

I run back inside. "Mistress! Mistress! You got invited to the Frankenstein Grand Prix! Mayhem and destruction and ranting and maniacal laughter! I'm so excited!" I hand her the pamphlet. "Shall I start packing?"

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:24 pm 

Trebaruna Quark hits Dr. Derek Gluon over the head for the twentieth time that day. "Stop drooling!"

"S'ry, sry, what 're we talkn about...?" Dr. Gluon is not at the height of his usually keen mental abilities, thanks to a recent experience with a woman called Janitor and some judiciously applied neural chaff. Not to mention an evil monologue and a smiley-face tie. He's wearing it right now. He stares at it, tilting his head to follow the curve of the perfectly circular face.

"Derek!"

"Sry..."

"We were talking about the Frankenstein Grand Prix. All the great Mads will be there - you're drooling again - so you-know-who might show up and try to get her claws in them too."

"B'rbie Streis'nd?"

"No! The one who tied you up and left you to die in your own underground bunker! The one who made you dumb! I'm talking about Janitor!"

Dr. Gluon smiles lopsidedly. "J'nit'r!"

"Yes!"

"Th' lab's dirty 'lrdy?"

"Gah!" Ordinarily Trebaruna does only two things - make weaponry (swords are her specialty, though she does like the 'splody things), and make violent use of said weaponry. Dr. Gluon, with his technological expertise, is her partner. They made the deal a long time ago. He does the thinking, she does the hurting. Now that he's unable to concentrate, she's the one left to plan their revenge. She doesn't like it one bit. It makes her angry. Luckily, she knows just how to direct that anger.

"Okay, we're going to enter this Grand Prix. You obviously can't enter yourself -" (he's drooling again) "- but you can come as my henchman. And then we hunt down Janitor and get our revenge!"

"WheeeEEEeee," Dr. Gluon is singing tunelessly under his breath. He pauses to watch a dust mote, then starts up again. "Th' D'leks go wheeeEEEeee..."

Trebaruna sighs and takes Derek's keys. There'll be some form of transportation in the garage. She takes his wallet too. There's still the registration fee to pay, and she's sure he'll thank her when he's less drooly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:55 am 
Hyperkeeper

SoItBegins got the letter before everyone else, though in his case, Prime brought his attention to it before the letter was ever sent.

"So, it's that time of year again, mm?" he said to Prime. "Well... let's go!"

Pausing only to dress and to qCompress a small number of items into a crystal cube, SoItBegins stood, arms outstretched, and let the breeze blow him away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:32 am 
Heh heh heh.

~Some time later~

Jane stood, practicing a strange movement that involved passing one hand over the other hand, while Claire moved suitcases out to the car parked outside. Most of the cases contained supplies from Jane's lab. Others contained devices that Jane had described as "Oh, just a few fun tricks to play on the unsuspecting." Only two of the suitcases contained clothes.

As Claire continued to move suitcases to the car, Jane completed the final preparations for leaving-- checking to make sure that the decoy lab was working properly, setting the rest of the security system (including the secondary traps hidden throughout the lair) to automatic, and checking her appearance in the mirror one last time.

Then, with the suitcases stowed in the trunk (the car, despite appearing to be a small, bright red two-seater sports car, had more trunk space than it looked and more weapons than it ought), Jane and Claire hit the road. All that was left behind them was the wind, and on the wind a scattered ...heh....heh....heh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 am 

Thaddeus was preparing to hold down the fort. Professor Tinker was going to use Sayasuke at the contest. He didn't mind at all, this would give him some time to spend with the wolf pack at the very least.

Of course he wasn't thinking that once the town was completely empty of Mads that he'd be the only one to defend it...

Professor Andronicus laughed madly as he and his hench prepared traps for when the other Mads started coming through. "Mister Guy are the triggering devices planted?"

"Yeah boss, an I'm alrea'h set up'ta clonk um down," said a southern accent from on top of a building.

"Perfect," said Andronicus. "Now we'll wait a bit."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 am 

-Ogdenville-

The entire town had come alive for the Grand Prix. While normally a small, relatively unimportant town on the northern side of the United States, Ogdenville had capitalized on it's fifteen minutes of fame: The entire town had erected booths, shops, even various forms of entertainment outside of the Grand Prix contest grounds. People were arriving in droves to watch the legendary competition, proving once more that once they start herding, humans lose all forms of the survival instinct. It had grown from merely a few food booths outside the Grand Prix, to a full-blown carnival, with improvisational "Iron Chemist" contests, shops hocking cheap "science-esque" merchandise, and reporters hunting through the crowd to corner and interview any mad scientist that they could find.

And of course, there was the occasional explosion. Mad Scientists who thought they saw a rival in a moment of weakness weren't too picky about collateral damage.

A large line had formed out from the registration booth, as Mad Scientists waited for their turn to fill out the paperwork to get in. Up front there appeared to be a disturbance of some sort. A younger Mad Scientist had completed his paperwork and was now rather annoyed, surrounded by several men in black suits.

"No way man! My death ray is who I am!" He began firing a weird-looking gun wildly, sending purple rays of death wildly into the crowd, as several guards grabbed hold of him.

"Sir, the rules of the contest are quite explicit. No outside equipment is permitted on the contest grounds, except the clothing on your back. And we're keeping a close eye on people's clothing too. Just in case those mad chemists try to sneak deadly poisons in or something." They quickly disarmed him, putting his death ray on the counter of a claims booth. "You can have it back when your time inside the Contest grounds are over, sir. Or if you get eliminated."

Suddenly, with a manic grin on his face, the young mad withdrew a larger weapon from no explicable region. The guards turned. "Call for backup!"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 pm 

For a moment, the air on the outskirts of Ogdenville rippled oddly, sending the more savvy residents scurrying. The rippling concentrated near the registration booth, focusing into a-
World shifted, grass growing froze, and a tiny thread twisted- anything was everywhere at once, so...

- portal opened and Andrew stepped calmly onto the pavement, smiling modestly as his coat made a gentle 'swishing' noise. A shadow at his feet uncoiled into Sayasuke, drawing a gasp of surprise (and a few ominous huuuuums) from those watching.
Sayasuke had taken the time to have one of his favorite suits repaired- it was simple, and the coloring was like a kimono pallet, and most importantly it made him appear almost *exactly* like he did in the stories.
He was no genus, but he was savvy.

"Ah, no trouble at all. I can't imagine why Fredric decided to come by any other route." Andrew said cheerfully, brushing off his coat as he stepped into line.

"Ah... I believe that your mode of travel, while fast is.. disconcerting. Perhaps the part where one exists at all places at once is what bothers him."

"Hmph. I *suppose*."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:31 am 

A number of inferior Mads lay in a heap. "Mister Guy are you done picking up our traps?"

"Yea'sir. Ah'm ready to go sah."

"Good get into the assault vehicle," said Professor Andronicus.

"We haf an assault vehicle sah," said Radcliff.

"Oh yes, I just built it a few minutes ago while you dealt with Doctor Jones. I don't want to get out of practice now do I?"

"Naw sah, I guess ya would'en," said Radcliff getting into the modified junk car.

"Hold on Mister Guy."

"Alrigh-"

Woosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:28 am 

-Aboard a Modestly-sized Luxury Stealth Airplane-

Michael reclined in an over-sized lounge chair, sipping some mint tea from a cup and staring at Frederic intently. "Alright... there are some things you should know regarding the Grand Prix. I will admit I do not know what your father has told you, but seeing as how he is currently your competition, and he has likely known that you may end up competing against him, it's possible that he may have withheld something significant from you." He took another sip.

"The first thing you need to be aware of is how your opponents will see you during this competition. You're young and unestablished; this is both a blessing and a curse. It means that most of your competition is likely to underestimate you (a key fault of most Mads is arrogance, after all) and if you wish, you could play into that as a potent strategy. People won't take you as seriously if they assume you're young and incompetent. It wouldn't work on anyone who knows you well, but you're going to be up against thousands of other Mads in the first few rounds. The number of people who DO know you well will be a piddling fraction of a percentage, I'd wager. The downside to this is that people will consider you easy pickings. Expect at least twice the number of attempts on your life that the usual contestant gets: Everyone will be looking to thin the numbers very early on. A large amount of Mads never get past Registration..."

He smirked, expecting Frederic to tremble a bit. He was being extremely forward and open with information, and that HAD to be disturbingly jarring for the rabbit. "Now then, concerning Regristration..."

(There will be more added to this post later today concerning everyone... I ran outta time unfortunately...)

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 am 
Heh heh heh.

The sports car arrived in the classic cloud of dust-- seemingly being flashy on purpose. Its owner was wearing a dress the same color as the car, walking in with all the confidence in the world. Bypassing the line, she merely walked right up to the clerk at the registration desk, spoke a few words, and waited as the clerk processed her entry. All eyes were on her.

As JN finished with the clerk, she turned to Claire, who was dressed expensively, more as a friend than as a henchman. "I'll have someone take the bags to the hotel," she said.

"Which one is it again?" asked Claire.

"The Excelsior," said Jane, a little louder than necessary as the two walked out. Jane had picked the expensive one.

Once the two were safely ensconced in their hotel room, Claire turned to Jane. "Uh, Mistress... what exactly was the point of all that?"

Jane smiled. "It's easy. I certainly made an impression on everyone visiting-- now, they think I'm rich and I'll throw money at whatever stands in my way. In short, an attractive person to be around. More importantly, these are mad scientists, of varying degrees of deviousness-- and I will bet you that some of them now have me down as an easy target. Someone'll try to approach me, or deceive me, or destroy me, and then... I can have a little fun with them."

The smile had turned into an evil grin-- Jane hastily smoothed it out into an expression that said she didn't have a care in the world. "I already took their 'Madness Test' last year, and I made sure that my results would still be accepted this year, so that's that out of the way-- I think I'll go and mingle with the other hotel guests... and see what happens."

Then, practically moving in a way that drew attention to herself, Jane walked out into the wide, wide world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 am 

So evil! Subtle, too. It's not quite as much fun, sure, but boy is it effective.

Madness tests. Heh. Pity they have to have those. One would think that any non-Mads would get laughed off the stage during the first round. Of course, they didn't have them 20 years ago. They probably enacted them since then for 'safety reasons.' At least, that's what I bet they claimed. I grin broadly.

There isn't much point in me just sitting in the hotel room. With the spectacle we just made, I doubt anyone thinks of me as a very effective hench- I didn't even take the bags up to the room!

So, as long as I don't draw a lot of my attention to myself, I should be able to have some fun as well. I just have to make sure I don't ruin the surprise so Mistress can have fun as well.

Lots of Mads get taken out before the competition. Of course, few of them get taken out by henches. It's really quite embarrassing when that happens.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:52 pm 

Chic has had a splendid trip. Any obviously Mad vehicles she passed on the way were discreetly zapped with the metal to rust ray. They'd slow and stop as small but vital components gave way. What fun!
The cycle is parked, force shielded, and booby trapped; they've checked in to the hotel-now to register.
Time to shorten the line a bit...
Chic remotely triggers something.
Random mads in line, both ahead of and behind her, are suddenly struck ill. Headachy, a little lightheaded, and urgently needing to find a place to throw up, several abandon their place in line. Some try a swig of universal antidote-but that's made to deal with poisons and toxins. Not rare radio frequencies messing with the inner ear.
Chic tisks sadly as the mad two places up staggers away. "Another one? Farnsworth, remind me to stay away from those fast food stands. Heaven knows what those MadDogs are made of."
"Very good, Ma'am." Farnsworth replies deadpan. Humming cheerfully, they rapidly advance toward the registration booth.
Now that her appearance has changed, no one will recognize her as the latest Golden Gears winner-especially with a different hench in tow. Heh.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 pm 

~Fredric~
To Micheals suprise, he grinned and cracked his knuckles.
"Aw, don't getcher knickers in a twist, Micheal. I'm tough enough t' handle it. I'm lookn' forward t; a decent brawl." he said casually, reclining in his seat and sipping his alfalfa-lavender blend tea.

"An' unfortunatly yer wrong- I migh' be new, but I'm not unknown. Penalty of bein' a Tinker- 's a known name. Kinda th' opposite of bein' a Narbon, if ya get my drift- Less 'Dive for Cover' more 'Where's that Death Ray.'" he paused, and stirred a dollop of honey into his tea, one ear twitching.

"Of course, I *could* just register under a diffin' name- th' Commander rigged me a few spares. I keep 'Frederik Z. Viktor' on th' books, that'd up the ante a little." he mentioned, grinning toothily. Sometime having a complex family was a bonus- 'Tinker' was technically an experiment designation, after all. Using it as a name was the Twins idea.

~Andrew~
The funny thing was how little people thought of a calm, smiling man when that was, really, the first person to be terrified of. Or, at least, perhaps pay a little more attention to the rather exaggeratedly dark pool of shadows at his feet.

Sayasuke smirked, looking around the ring of startled mads, the wreckage of many, MANY death rays and doom devices at his feet.
"Come on, who's next?" he hissed, looking around the circle.

Andrew put a finger to his lips, looking at the wrecked shreds of machines.
"Dear, me.... all this forbidden equipment? That's against the rules... but this isn;t." he said, nodding at Sayasuke.

Shadows swelled and the ground suddenly dropped out under the feet of those Mads foolish enough to have not fled around them.
Andrew smiled and stepped forward in line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 pm 

-Michael and Frederic-

(Continue'd, yo!)

"Since this is your first year running, you'll have to take the Madness test. Can't be helped. I can't tell you what it's like: They change it every year. But it'll be something quick and abrupt, and will of course be designed to stimulate the part of your brain that wants to cackle madly and light your ears on fire for no plausible reason." Michael cleared his throat and took another deep breath. "It's the PAPERWORK to register that takes forever. You'd have to be a bureaucrat savant or something to enjoy filling out such horrendous forms." he stood up. "Oh, and once we get to the Contest grounds, don't be afraid to disrespect me." He grinned. "I won't take it personally...just this once. Only the older and more established Mads can get away with being NICE to their henchmen. Everyone else will just be seen as weak if they try."

He sat back down as the stealth-plane began it's descent, prepping himself mentally. As a henchman for a rookie Mad in this contest he was going to have his work cut out for him. A decent henchman in the Prix had to be 40% security detail, 10% test subject, 12% rampant paranoia, 23% a lab assistant, and 15% eye candy. He had to make his employer look better by either looking worse, or looking as fearsome as he could.

Fortunately, while he had never competed himself, he had all the pertinent memories of a former champion locked away in his head. Such experience served him well once, and now it would serve him well in his new role. And of course, there were unexpected perks to being a henchman. Most people in the industry didn't pay much attention to them: heroes only cared about henchmen when they directly became an obstacle, since their priority was stopping the person in charge. And a shockingly high percentage of Mads considered Henchmen expendable and typically didn't even bother to learn the names of those that didn't work for them. Since he was a new face, he was unestablished and thus under the radar. Most people wouldn't be sure what to expect.

And of course, he was going to be attending in costume. Since he fully expected to terrorize people as his own Mad Scientist someday, it wouldn't do to be associated with being a henchman if he could avoid it. He opened a trunk next to his chair and began going through outfits he could use. "Hmm... I could probably pull off the butler attire, if I called you "Young Master" and faked a few wrinkles and gray hairs. I'd have to slouch, of course, and possibly wear a monocle, but I might be able to pull it off... and of course Mads have had stranger henchmen. What do you think?"

Heh heh heh... This was going to be an interesting contest indeed...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A black van tore through the crowds crossing the streets of Ogdenville, narrowly avoiding running over several people and almost hitting a few more.

What was really interesting about it was that it was being followed by explosions, laser fire, and the occasional missile. A stray bomb flew into the Mad-Dogs booth and detonated it, causing the air to rain frankenfurters of questionable meat for a few moments afterwords.

Eventually, despite all odds, the van carrying Last Year's Winner reached a secure location, and unloaded it's cargo. They had heard the rumors of his reformation, of course, and had been highly concerned. It was traditional for the previous year's winner to last at least until round 3, and given the psyche profile they had of him, he probably wouldn't be able to muster up any effort to pull through the first contest.

Despirate measures would have to be taken. While he was still drugged... Of course, he'd need a new henchman. They'd put the old one in storage until the end of the contest. And his outfit would have to be upgraded substantially. And they'd have to do SOMETHING about that speech pattern.

Fortunately, the MSO was nothing if not questionable. Changing people was just as easy as changing minds, and they were moderately good at that.

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 pm 

The hovercar spirals out of control, crash landing right in the middle of the road. Very few people paid the two limping figures that emerged from the smoldering debris any attention: they were used to Mad drivers by now.

Ingrid coughs as she wipes the ash off of her pants. "I could have sworn I made sure everything on the hovercar was perfectly functional before we left, ma'am. I don't understand how the car could have malfunctioned like that!"

"Oh, there wasn't a malfunction, Ingrid." Amino shrugs. "I just thought it would be fun."

"...I'm sorry, ma'am. What?"

"Oh, I saw that airplane that we shot a cannon at on the way here do something like that, and it looked awesome. I couldn't wait to try it!"

Ingrid frowns. "...You mean to say, ma'am, that you purposely crashed our only mode of transportation...while we were still in it?!" Ingrid is livid by this point.

"Yup!" Amino smiles brightly. "I so want to try it again! We'll need to get the hovercar fixed first, though." she adds thoughtfully.

"Gah...you..." Ingrid begins, trembling with rage, but then stops. "You know what, ma'am? Forget it. Let's just go register and get this over with."

"Okay!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 pm 

Bored bored bored bored bored. There are so many Mads around, it's not really worthwhile to take any out. It probably won't be until at least after the second round, when running into someone competent won't be random chance.

Of course, that's not to say I don't now have lots and lots of explosives, doomsday devices, three teleporters, and a death ray almost as big as I am. And that's the stuff I haven't bothered to take back to the hotel room yet.

Right now, I'm playing cards with a couple of other henches in the break room. They have toxic cookies- either they're meant to eliminate the competition, or whoever made them can't cook. It's hard to tell.

I put down my cards. "Pay up." They grumble, and a few blasters are turned over. We're not playing for anything big, which is lucky for them- none of them seem to be any good at even basic card counting. Unfortunately for me, the talk seems to be turning to one of the union's new demands- paradox vaccinations.

"So, miss, what do you think of the issue?"

Uh-oh. "I... well, I haven't really been following it... I already have basic paradox immunity, you see..."

"You must know something- it's a big deal for everyone in the union!" He frowns when I don't respond. "You are in the union, aren't you?"

"Uh..." I try not to squirm.

"Well, you really should join- it'll give you a lot more leverage if you're ever treated unfairly. Did you know some Mads consider henches completely expendable?"

"Well..." Something inside my coat starts beeping. "Oh, sorry, that's Mistress- I have to go!" I jump up and leave, stopping outside to teleport away the grade 3 doomsday device I had triggered. Aggressive union members are really, really annoying.

And I'm still bored. Hmmm... Mistress won't need me for a while, and I "found" this paperwork...

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm 

Fredric leaned forward and rubbed his chin (where he had grown a small blond goatee specially for the occasion).

"Mmm, go for butler, but young. Monocle, yes, jes' add a pair 'a fangs and a thin veneer of hatred f'r th' universe. An' react with patient annoyance at me. See? Is th 'Trained Assassin-Butler/bodyguard motif. Always a classic f'r a cocky young noble." he said, picking up a box on the ground that he'd refused to let Micheal see earlier.

He opened it, and took out it's contents reverentially. It was a Coat, done in the style of a Heterodyne (Jager) Military Coat, but in a azure blue. It was tailored to him perfectly, with wide cuffs and plenty of sneaky pockets.

"Hmmm... do th' weapon searchers include Magic stuff? Probly better not to try..."

~Andrew~
"And if you'll just come in here we'll administer you a quick Madness test- just a formality, you understand Sir.. Tinker? Oh, wow, are you-"

Andrew smiles and nods, entertained by the register's surprise.
"Andrew Tinker, yes. And through here? Thank you!" he said cheerfully, stepping into the room.

He looked around- white, featureless... sort of nice. Peaceful, even. He let himself relax, waiting for the test to start-
Something whizzed by, a flash of light. Without thinking he squealed happily and clapped his hands, dissolving into giggles before falling over.

Andrew passes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:30 am 
Hyperkeeper

When SoItBegins arrived, Prime had taken care of everything, from registration to payment. At least this way he'd skip the line (thank goodness-- Prime had also pulled the surveillance camera recordings, and it had been rather wild.) There was, however, one thing that had to be done in person.

"So this test of yours works how?"

"Just step into the room, and the test will begin. You don't need to do anything special."

SiB stepped into the featureless room, waiting for something to happen. They obviously wanted it featureless for a reaso---

Suddenly something whizzed past SiB, small and shiny. Without thinking, Prime guiding him, SiB shot a bolt of lightning at the shiny object, another bolt in the direction the object had come from, and a final bolt at the object again, which was lying on the ground.

SoItBegins took a closer look. It was a nickel.

The door opened, and the test administrator came in. His attire was gently smoking.

"Uhhhhh.... you pass."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:50 am 

-Backstage, in an Observation Booth-

"What do you think of the entrants thus far?"

"Bah, the same typical crop of Mads. There's nothing too worrisome about them this year... yet."

"What about that Begins-ish guy? He shot LIGHTNING from his hands! We can't allow that sort of power into the contest unchecked!"

"Yes, he shot lightning from his hands... and Mr. Erickson made the coin shoot sparks without running a charge through it at all. And Professor Ninja can decapitate someone WITH HIS HANDS. If we tried to limit Mads completely to Mundane standards, there'd be no contest to run at all!"

"So you're saying we allow it because we can't exactly stop it?"

"No, I'm saying that regardless of what a single contestant can or can't do, they're all more or less equally terrifying. Besides, the goal is to single out the single most Maddest of the bunch, isn't it?"

"Well, yeah, but still..."

"We've got bigger things to worry about on Registration day, anyway. For example... look over there. We should send a security team or three down there to keep that Saya Demon from putting bullet holes thorugh forms XK-Z270 through XN-Z220."

"Ha! So he finally snapped under the huge stack of forms?"

"Every hench does the first year. 'S why we don't streamline the process. Half the footage from day 1 gets sent to Worlds Craziest Videos, you know."

"Ah...so THAT'S why our profits always take an upturn this time of year. I wondered about that."

"...do you think SHE'LL be here this year?"

"Who the heck are you talking about?"

"HER. The dark one... she who surpasses all clerical duties as if they were nothing. The demoness who makes paperwork tremble in fear."

"Look, I'm telling you. Ingrid is a myth, nothing more. If she existed as a Mad Scientist's henchwoman, we'd have seen her by now. Oh geeze! We've got a situation in sector 3!"

"Is that fool attempting to flirt with Jane Narbon in one of the hotels? How could one of our guards be so reckless?"

"He's on break, and a number of them drink to numb the terror of what they go through every year."

"But we specifically ordered no commingling with the Mads!"

"And that's why I'm sending Team Frisky Pony and Team Purple Pants on a recovery mission before he gets himself destroy'd. Or worse."

"...you think just two teams will be enough?"

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:08 am 

Farnsworth metaphorically rolls up his sleeves, adjusts his pince-nez, and tackles the paperwork. You don't run the largest library in the world and not develop good paper pushing skills. Not to mention the layers of academic nonsense associated with a college.
The clerk stares, boggled at how fast the jaegermonster is stacking up the perfectly finished forms. Using a fountain pen.
Farnsworth is wearing his usual mix of roman armor and elegant suit.
Someone snickers behind him. "It looks something like a jaeger-only one bred for paper pushing instead of fighting. What poor sap got stuck with *that* for a henchman?"
"Hmm?" he replies absently, still writing. "You were expecting 'hulk smash', or some such nonsense?" He casually reaches out an arm, and flings the hapless hench over the heads of the line. Far, far, down the line. Without missing a beat, he finishes the last form, and hands the stack in. He allows himself a brief, toothy grin before sauntering off to find the youngster.
This has the potential to be amusing after all-not that he'll admit it.

Back down the line-
The aggrieved hench climbs shakily to his feet, and starts to go back up front.
"Hey! No cutting in line!"
"But-"
Crap. Mistress will *not* be happy with him.

Chic smiles happily as she's led into the calm white room. Something shiny whizzes past. Fast as an old time gunslinger, she turns, and snatches it out of the air. Holding the nickel between two dainty claws, she giggles-and turns it into shiny confetti.
"Passed!"

At the hotel-a young mad sidles up to her, attempting to be smooth. That hair-she's like something out of his favorite anime!
"Buy you a drink, Miss?"
She delicately lifts an eyebrow. "No, thank you."
"Aw, come on-the night is young. I'm Kid Atomic. What's your name, Miss-"
"It's Doctor." She smiles. "Dr...Viktor."
Gulp.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 am 

I giggle, standing at the back of the line and holding the filled-out forms. Sure, they were annoying, but I only needed to do half of them. After all, I'm not trying to actually register. I just need it to look like I am. I giggle even more, remembering the look on his face. I hope he still works here. People in front of me look bored- there are a lot of unhinged people in line, after all. And I doubt any of them would be intimidated by anything I could do.

But I don't really feel like waiting in line. I could do something subtle. Or I could just start hurling explosives. Oh yay, they're hurling explosives back! Pity my reflexes are better than theirs.

After a few minutes, I'm the only one left in line. Slightly disappointed by the lack of explosions, I walk to the desk. The man sitting behind it looks bored and slightly singed. I hand him the appropriate paperwork.

"Miss Claire Any? Alright, just go through there and your Madness test will begin shortly."

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:06 pm 

The assault vehicle whirls past as Radcliffe strafes the back of the line with a machine gun.

Professor Andronicus steps out of the car. "Go find a good parking place Mister Guy."

Radcliffe grins evilly, "Oh dat should'n be a problem sah." He drives off merrily, that certain glint in his eye.

Dr. Andronicus walks calmly to the back of the line, seemingly unarmed...

After several efforts to attack him he finally reaches the front of the line. For a moment he almost feels pity for the one sap. The man might be afraid of small cubes for the rest of his life.

After some rigmarole, and waiting he was taken to the plain white room. "Your test will be administered shortly."

He stood patiently in the plain room. A shiny light flashed by. Seeing the nickle he immediately pulls the pen from his pocket-no one had thought to take it.

Within seconds he scooped the nickle back up and fired it back at its point of origin. The makeshift pen gun worked perfectly and the examiner came in and told him he had passed...though he did take away the gun. Smiling Professor Andronicus walked away.

Meanwhile Radcliffe was having a lot more difficulty with his task. "Papah'work, dey give me papah'work. I was raised ta fight, not do this sissy writin' stuff." Several more minutes passed-"Graaaar!!!"

He rose to his own considerable height and pulled an automatic rifle from his denim jacket. He walked over to the official in charge.

The man stared at him with a look like he meant to say something. Radcliffe merely stared at him with his shocking red eyes. He gestured with the gun.

The man looked fearful but would not budge. "Tough'un huh," said Radcliffe showing his fangs. "Well," he said grabbing the man and pressing the gun into his back. "We'll see abou' that."

He forced the man over to the paperwork and sat him down. With the gun pressed to the man's head Radcliffe ordered him to fill it out.

The man stopped occasionally to ask for some information, but Radcliffe smiled, knowing he'd beaten their game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:14 pm 

Saya twitched looking down at the sheath of paperwork- what madness has come from the hands of man?! He feels faint, suddenly wistful for the demon pits of Aku.
He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, stilling his mind.
This is no paperwork. This is a test. A test of the Henchmen and their ski-
Their Skills. He is not a Henchmen of paperwork, of shuffling and soothing. His Master has no need for such a servant.

He is a Demon.
He opens his eyes and cracks his knuckles, letting power swell around him, eyes flaring a blazing red.
"Ebisuのビジネスの神主… このSaya-Oniは好意、叔父さんを現金に換えている。" he said levelly, seeming, for a moment, to be somehow darker, clearer-

There was a crack, like a fishing line whipping in the air, a deep, friendly laughter, and the paperwork shifted slightly.
"Ah, Arigato gozaimasu Oji-san." he said, smirking slightly at the astonished henchmen.

"You- you can't *do* that!" protested one of them, just agast enough to forget about the gleaming shadow-swords at his belt.

"Ah, I believe I can. I have completed the paperwork, see?" he said, smiling at them before walking away casually.

~Fredric takes the Madness Test~
He glanced around, unimpressed. He can smell who's been here already- Auntie, SiB, Da, a buncha others.... something must be here, or they wouldn't-
Something fast! Something Shiney! He dived, slamming into the floor and cackling madly.
"Got you! Got you got you got you!!!!" he giggled, clutching the quarter to his chest.
Fredric passes, but once again a new quarter is needed- an attempt to take it from him resulted in a great deal of snarling and a few scratches.

~Mad Xerox~
The man at the registration table sighed, going over his Time-Travel permits. Most people diddn't even know these *existed*, and it was actually filled in *correctly*. Who the hell was this guy?! He checked the name- and stopped.

"Primary Xerox? Commander of M. I, uh, this wouldn't be a professional visit, would it?" he asked nervously, images of a dark room and stern questions swimming through his brain.

"Yes, and no. I'm on vacation, okay? Just give me the paperwork, will ya?" he asked, sighing and tapping out another candy cigarette.

"The paperwork? Sir, that's traditionally given to the Hench... man..." the man trailed of, withering under a violet glare- one of his pupils was, was blue? And smaller than the other one...

"Oh, I know. I have the damn Union breathing down my neck about that little 'tradition'." he said sternly, putting his hands on the desk and leaning down.

"But you know what? I'm on vacation right now. I'm trying to relax, have some fun. And do you know what I do for fun?" he asked, receiving a quick head shake.

"I do paperwork."
Wordlessly, the man handed him the thick stack of paperwork, which xerox took with a grin- well, with a showing of teeth, anyways- and headed over to find someplace to get it done. He spots a table manned by an Igor, and sets the stack down there.

"Good to thee you, Mithter Xerox."

"Hey, Igor. How's your cousin, Igor?" he's already started on the paperwork, hands almost a blur as he works.

"Much better, thir. We even found him a new hand. Were is Mithter Lemon?"

"Oh, you know him... last I saw him, he was tring to win a stuffed ur-gerbil doll from a hokey stand. He'll be buisy for a while."

"Indeed. I thaw hith new clank-body. Very nithe dethign."

"Yeah, he likes it a lot. I'll catch up with you later, Igor." he said, setting his smoking pen aside and walking off. Igor clicks off a stopwatch he'd surreptitiously hidden under the table.
"Fifty thecondth. I thupothe I mutht have dithracted him..."

~Xerox takes The Madness test~
He glances around the room, unimpressed. Seriously, white? What, are they cribbing from the Beta notes or what? Oh, well. May as well wait for watever-
Something moving bright no guns no net react seems no hostile but velocity is- hey shiny!- move. Xerox snatched the quarter out of the air and threw it back, slamming it through the wall.

Xerox Passes.
(Incidentally, while this went on, Lemon won a very large Frankenstein plushy.)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next