Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:58 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-At the Medbay-

Most of the seats were reserved, not for Mad scientists, but for MSO operatives and staff. And already there were a number of beds filled. People had been wounded by illegal pen guns, lightning bolts, coins that burst through walls, some kind of clockwork creature throwing hoops everywhere while clutching a stuffed Frankenstein's Monster. And those were in the minority of injury causes.

The most terrible tolls had come from the chaos that had erupted outside in the fairgrounds, as people stood and watched and Mads eager to "thin the herd" waged bizarre battles against their peers. Explosions, stray laser fire, Mads turning on the guards who had arrived to quell the chaos... these were the major causes of injury out there. (That, and the guy who kept running around tossing rocks, which everyone just considered unsporting and quite rude.)

Nurse Joy, a competent and highly trained middleaged medical official with a habit of smacking people who made comments about her name, ruled supreme here. Making a disapproving clicking sound with her toungue, she looked around. "Goodness gracious, how times have changed. If the men working for the MSO in my day had sat around in their beds and moaned like this whenever they got a few bumps or burns, we'd have never gotten any works of questionable legitimacy done at all!" She put her hands on her hips and turned to one apparently unharmed agent laying on a bed clutching his wrist and moaning in agony. "And what exactly did you have to suffer through?" She ran a hand through her raven's black hair.

"Sir...Ma'am. I got scratched by a rabbity-looking thing when I tried to take a quarter away from it. Si- Ma'am."

She scowled. "And that gives you an excuse to be taking one of my beds away from people who might actually need it?"

"Si- Ma'am, I was worried it might turn me into a wererabbit if it wasn't treated properly, si- Ma'am." He saluted, and winced as he brushed his hair against the scratched part of his hand.

She thrust her hand sideways and pointed towards the door. "OUT! OUT!"

The agent leaped up. "You say that now, si- Ma'am, but when I'm a terrible beast destroying your carrot patches you'll wish you had treated me." He took one look into her eyes and started scurrying towards the door.

"I'll be sure to keep a silver bullet handy." She reached a hand down to her sidearm, caressing the muzzle affectionately as the man departed. Then she looked up. "Now then...is anyone ELSE here suffering from a severe case of stupidity? Because I have plenty of shots of the vaccine!"

About half the men in the area got up and began moving, some walking, some lurching in agony, towards the door. Dealing with Nurse Joy was definitely one of those "the disease is better than the cure" situations. That woman could scare a komodo dragon.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:04 pm 

~Claire~

Hmmm... blank white room... why does this seem familia-

"SHINY!!!" Before I know what's happening, I'm flying through the air, holding a small, round object. Aw, it's not as shiny anymore and ohmythatwalliscomingupawfullyfast-

*Ka-BOOM*

I detonate that wall, but the explosion doesn't slow me down quite enough. I hit the wall in the next room with a resounding thud, sliding down headfirst and laughing uncontrollably. There's a me-sized dent in the wall. Someone peers through the hole I made.

"Still alive? You pass. Now come on, we need to fix these rooms so other people can get tested." Heh. I guess it's been a long day for him- he looks tired.

On the way out, I pick up the paperwork. Tearing off the identification sections, I write a note at the bottom.

To the head of security
You really should do a better job with the Madness tests. As far as I can determine, they simply test for something that's usually related with SRMD. But not always. Anyway, I'm sure it would be quite embarrassing for you if a non-Mad did well in the competition, wouldn't it? And really, since I passed the Madness test, can you kick me out of the competition this time?
Hugs and Kisses,
NE

Now, a bit of hair dye, a touch of gender-change formula, a bit of stray radiation from a TF gun-

Oh wait, I don't have a TF gun. *CLANG* -a bit of stray radiation for this TF gun I suddenly "found," and I'm just about ready.

*ZAP*

I hope Mister Tinker doesn't mind me using his appearance, but I know no one's going to think for even a minute that he isn't Mad. I put the paperwork in an envelope, addressed to the head of security, then hand it to a nearby security guard. Wandering away, I zap myself again, then head back to the hotel. I wonder if I'll make him cry again?

~Jennifer~

She timidly waited in line, retreating whenever someone started hurling explosives or shooting or even acting threatening. Those around her barely even glanced at her- she wasn't a threat, wasn't even worth the meager amount of time or supplies required to take her out. One would have thought she was bored, standing in line, but in fact, she was very busy. She watched who retreated and who fought, who cut the line and who didn't, who filled out the paperwork. She collected data.

Finally, she reached the front of the line and turned in her paperwork- she didn't have a hench, but she had plans for that. In the meantime, she just had to seem unobtrusive.

"Miss Jennifer Umbra?" She nodded. "This way please." He lead her past several doors. As she walked, she took off her necklace- it worked well, but she still hadn't gotten the 'wearer immunity' quite right, and she didn't want to be handicapped. The man suddenly blinked. Had he been assuming she wasn't dangerous? They were all *Mads.* Even the most mild was dangerous. What was he thinking? "Wait in here. Your Madness test will begin shortly."

She sat. This would be interesting; normally she didn't-

A flash of light. What was that? She pulls out a pen, scribbling frantically. There's no paper, so she writes on her arms. Quickly running out of room, she drops to the floor, writing equations, observations, deductions. Finally, she stops.

"A nickle in a beam of light? Ah, I see- an intense stimulus to trigger the Madness." Observing the equations covering her arms and the floor, she puts the pen away. "I think it worked."

Someone walks in, carrying a bucket. "Yeah, you pass. Now get out of the way- we have to clean the floor." She steps out of the room as he sloshes something all over the floor- probably a concentrated acid, for a floor made of something extremely nonreactive. Perhaps silicon oxide based? She put her necklace back on, and started to walk towards her hotel.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:56 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane walked through the room, giving off a mental sigh. So far, it was slim pickings. A great deal of the Mads who applied for the contest weren't that good, so wasting time on them would be pointless when the judges could get rid of them faster. It would really heat up after the first or second event, where the competition would get much stronger. And, of course, the work required to find fresh victims would become that much more challenging.

Outwardly smiling, Jane sat down at the hotel bar, deciding to simply watch what happened. Maybe she'd see something interesting.

"Excuse me, miss, but can I buy you a drink?"

Jane turned. One of the security people, wearing a black suit and black shades, was sitting in the seat next to her. He was pretty obviously off-duty. Now this would be fun...

"Gladly. My name's Jane... what's yours?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Some time later -- In Jane's hotel room<

Jane Narbon, now wearing a much more evil smile, surveyed her catch. Timmy, the MIB, was chained to the bed of her room, the door was locked, and Jane had personally made sure to put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign in place before starting. The guy hadn't needed much convincing. Maybe he had a girlfriend who was into this sort of thing.

"So," said Jane, slowly advancing on the helpless MIB, a smile on her face, "do you know, there's another, perhaps less literal, translation of the words 'femme fatale'?"

The man, already bearing numerous small cuts and burns, opened his mouth to say something, but Jane raised one finger and said "Ah?"
Timmy shut it again instantly.

Jane continued talking-- sweetly, soothingly. "So, shall I tell you what "femme fatale" really means? It means: to die for."

Jane was purposely taking her time getting to the head of the bed-- the man could see his doom coming, step by step. By now, she had almost gotten all the way there. She smiled down at Timmy.

"Mmm... to die for. Shall I show you?"

"Wait! No! Please--"

As the MIB began to black out, his last vision was of Jane bending over him, slowly caressing his cheek.
"Sweet dreams..." she said, as the world faded into black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the two teams arrived at Jane's hotel room, there was only one occupant. Chained to the bed and gagged, their friend, Timmy, lay... ????

The two teams picked up the difference in bone structure right away, and the rest not long after. Timmy had been transformed to female. He was also hopping mad.

Before her explosive curses could rouse the other guests, the other MIBs unchained their now-WIB companion, picked her up, and left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:11 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

"Okay, ma'am, we just need you to take the Madness test and fill out some paperwork before we're officially entered."

"Ugh. I hate doing paperwork."

Ingrid smiles to herself. "I'll deal with the paperwork, ma'am. You just go pass that Madness test, alright? It's right over there. I'll meet you here after I finish filling out the forms."

"Okay!" Amino hums happily to herself as she skips towards the testing room. It was so nice to have a hench who also worked as a secretary, she thought to herself.

After a long wait in line, Amino finally reached the front. "And you are?" asked the register.

"Dr. Dana N. Amino," she announced dramatically. She looked at the register. He simply made a note of it on the form. Amino frowned. She had been expecting a gasp of recognition or a shriek of terror from the register. Perhaps he simply hadn't heard her right. "I said, Dr. Dana N. Amino!"

"I heard you. Now if you'll just enter this room-"

"Okay! Whatever!" Amino storms into the room fuming. She looks around. "Wow. This room is really, really white. I wonder what the test--ooh!" As the nickel flies through the light, Amino quickly snatches it from the air. She then begins tilting it in the light, giggling Madly as the nickel reflects the light all over the room.

After about a minute or so of this, the test administrator enters and says, "Um, Dr. Amino? You already passed the test. You can go now." He shuts off the light. "There are other people waiting to take the test."

Amino gasps as the nickel suddenly stops being shiny. "Turn that light back on!!!" she snaps.

"But-"

"Now!!!"

The administrator sighs. "#$&@ing Mads..."

Meanwhile, Ingrid strides confidently towards the registration desk. The long line suddenly steps out of the way as she approaches. A multitude of henchmen frantically struggle to fill out an endless pile of paperwork, several already going through psychotic breakdowns. Ingrid chuckles to herself. Amateurs.

The registration desk is hidden behind a mountain of paperwork, with a lone employee handing out the large stacks to cowering henchmen. She barely spares Ingrid a second glance as she shoves one of these stacks at her, then turns to the other henches.

Ingrid taps her foot impatiently. "Excuse me, miss, but these forms are hardly adequate. They're quite inferior, really. I demand a new set."

The registration clerk flashes her a look of annoyance. "Well, I'm a little bit busy right now. Just who do you think you are, anyways?"

Ingrid grins. "I'm terribly sorry, miss, I must have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Ingrid Min." The clerk suddenly grows pale and begins to tremble. The nearby henches back away slowly. Backstrage, an agent watching the live footage from an observation booth faints. "And I'd like to have all of your forms in triplicate."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 pm 

A lone mad wanders through the grounds, scoping things out. Not an entrant into the contest, oh no.
But no reason not to cheer a friend on. Being in the audiance will be enough fun.
And the audiance is allowed mad devices.
Heh.
The lone mad smiles.

Chic is circulating, enjoying herself and getting a feel for the place.
Huh, is that Xerox over there? He looks...different.Wonder what he's doing here? Probably recruiting for M.
Careful mental notes have been made on the various uniforms of the convention staff-security, housekeeping, ect. That, combined with being able to listen in on their communications-oh, yes, there are possibilities there.

Time to try it out-
Knock,knock. "Room service."
"Wow, that was fast!" The young mad catches himself."Ah, I mean about time you got here!"
Looking through the peephole-yep, it's hotel staff all right-he opens the door wide.
And the hologram covered Chic zaps him with the disorienter, then scorches him with a little lightning for good measure. He falls unconcious, and Chic skedaddles. Hmmph! That'll teach him to try and slip her a poisened drink!

Whistling innocently, she makes her way to her room. Time to set traps, plot with Farnsworth, and get a good night's sleep.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 am 

Janet Torvalds

Janitor has arrived late. Comparatively, at least. Everyone else seems to have gotten to Ogdenville early. There are henches weeping, Mads roiling about in a dangerous parody of Brownian motion, and even some mundanes enjoying a taste of the strange and amazing.

Janitor ditches her makeshift hoverboard inside a nearby dumpster. The dumpster implodes as she strolls away. Wow, she thinks, looking at the line of Mads and henches still registering. A few of them are swaying on their feet. I'm almost glad I don't have to go through all that. Although I'd like to think I wouldn't be that easy of a mark...

She walks past. Behind her, there's a hiss and a few screams of pain. Janitor grins. The spork truly is capable of amazing things. Now - scout out the place, find a good place to watch the events, and... find a place to sleep? That... requires money, doesn't it?

Janitor wanders off, happily following the crowds and sidestepping explosions. Many Mads will later find they're short on cash. But only by one dollar. Janitor has standards, after all.

Trebaruna Quark & Dr. Gluon

"I'm surprised you're filling this out yourself, miss. You've got a perfectly good henchman right there."

"Him?" Trebaruna looks at Dr. Gluon, who is sitting cross-legged on the ground next to her. "That's a great idea!" she exclaims sarcastically to the registration man. "Hey, Derek, let's fill out paperwork together!"

Dr. Gluon squees and leaps to his feet.

"All right, let's start with this box here. Can you write my name, Derek?"

Dr. Gluon takes the pen Trebaruna offers him and, biting his lower lip, scribbles something in the box. Trebaruna takes the pen back and pushes the paperwork at the registration guy.

"'What do the ghouls mop salad bars.'" The registration guy scrunches up his face in thought. "You look more like a 'Why do ghouls' to me, miss."

"Just give me a new form," Trebaruna growls. She fills out the first page, flips through the rest and, impatient, hands it to Dr. Gluon. "Here. Remember to color within the lines this time, huh?" Dr. Gluon nods and goes to, uh, 'work.'

"Now what's this 'Madness test'?" she asks.

She's led to, and left in, a blank room. Something shiny whizzes past. Tiny blades pop out from under Trebaruna's fingernails and she slashes, reducing the coin to slivers. Trebaruna continues to slash wildly at the air around her, giggling menacingly with eyes unfocused.

"Congratulations, you pass, would you please leave your blades at the door - um. Can we get some backup in here?!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:06 pm 
Heh heh heh.

"Sorry, it looks like we can't change you back. Whatever that woman did, you're stuck in female form."

"...oh. Now what?"

"Well, as long as you're still in good shape [apart from the gender thing], you might as well get back to work. We'll have to test you, just to make sure everything's OK, but that won't be a problem," said the MIB in front.

"Test? I don't remember going through this before," said Timmy.

"No worries. It'll be as easy as feeding a Groink alien."

"......all right, exactly who decided to make something that hard?"

"It doesn't matter. There's also the matter of your name. Given that you were Timmy Williams before, that means you'll be--"

"Mz. Williams to the general public, just like you're Mr. Smith, or he's Mr. Brown. What's going on here?" said Ti-- Mz. Williams.

"Sorry. We just had to check that you really were one of us. You passed, by the way," said Mr. Brown.

"Thank you. Now, before I go back to work, can someone please find some gender-appropriate clothing?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little while later, a Woman In Black with short auburn hair walked out of a security annex and resumed patrolling. Soon, she was ignored by all, just another member of the security staff.

Now, back to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Claire got back, the hotel room was still empty. However, there was a note from Jane.

Hi, Claire! (heart)

I just went out to do some shopping, so be sure to keep all the experiments running. It won't be long before I get back. The first event will be quite exciting, won't it? Well, talk to you later!

JN

The note was rather innocuous in and of itself, but it was just a blind. Decoded, it meant:

Claire:

Out on "business". Cover for me. Back before the start of the first event.

JN

Claire smiled. It looked like Mistress was having some 'fun' after all...

~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:02 am 
Heh heh heh.

Around the area, everything was running [mostly] smoothly. In the Madness Test booth, a security person was explaining that the test had changed slightly.

"The Organization has decided that they can keep the quarters," the woman said, plunking ten rolls of coins onto the desktop. "Apparently it's less trouble that way."

The administrator agreed.

As the day wound down, the security stepped up even further, MIBs and WIBs patrolling all areas of the competition space. Especially the main auditorium.
Mz. Williams was one of the personnel currently on auditorium duty. There were ten MIBs on duty at a time: two at each door, and two inside the hall, making sure no one snuck in. Most of the time, it was fairly boring.

A loud crash from a far corner of the room brought the two running.

Well, most of the time.

The two in the auditorium, Mz. Williams and a Mr. Jones, looked around. With their sunglasses, they could see through most forms of camouflage, and this was no exception. In the corner, no doubt silently cursing, stooped the fuzzy outline of a person. The two agents looked at each other, then pounced.

"Hey! Let me go! Get off me! I haven't done anything!

...wait, the jig's up, right?"

The intruder proved to be a Mad named Dr. Kireal. In his pockets were a number of small, remotely-controlled booby traps. The Mad was quickly removed.

The city slumbered, as did the competition hall.

Mostly.

...and, in a hotel room not too far away, another Mad's henchman was fielding phone calls...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:14 pm 

Xerox was wandering around, keeping an eye on Lemon- currently he was intently focused on one of those ball-throwing games. he had to admit, he felt sorry for the man running the booth... a 'No androids' sign diddn't have much weight to an AI remote controlling a Clank. A very human-like clank, but you could still hear the gears whirr.

Something caught his eye and he stopped, scanning the crowd. No way... really? Hah! Of *course* he would be here... the Kid was entering, after all.
He chuckled and tapped out a new candy cig- he'd brought a piece of paper explaining just what sort of horrible investigations and rules he'd bring down if they tried to confiscate his sweets.

An idea fizzed into his brain and he smirked, looking around for- aha! A speaker for the intercom system.
A few minutes with a cd player, a toy mic he 'happened' to have gotten at a stand, and a screwdriver made lout of a fork and he was ready.
He bound the last wire together and smirked, eyes glinting- this would probably be one of the stupider things he'd done...
Music came on, playing suddenly from the intercom across the event, loud and clear.
And then. A voice.

"I met her in a club down in old soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola
C-o-l-a cola
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said lola
L-o-l-a lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
"
Andrew almost fell over, twitching slightly.
"Good heavens... Commander?"

"Well I'm not the worlds most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Well I'm not dumb but I cant understand
Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
Oh my Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
"
Several of the Mib were in a panic- who had patched into the system?! They couldn't wrest it back- somehow that had reprogrammed the computer from the *speaker*.

"Well we drank champagne and danced all night
Under electric candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
And said dear boy wont you come home with me
Well I'm not the worlds most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola

I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
Then I looked at her and she at me

Well that's the way that I want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
Its a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola
" Xerox smirked, pausing a moment to scan the crowd- he was pretty sure he could hear The Kid cracking up, anyway.
He posed, well aware that a crowd was gathering around him- mostly appreciative. They'd keep the Suits off him, for now... never get between a crowd of sparks and their entertainment.

"Well I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a man

Well I'm not the worlds most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola lo-lo-lo-lo lola
"
Heh. That oughta get Jess's attention...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:13 pm 

~Jennifer~

Someone singing- she caught a glimpse of him, and recognized Primary Xerox, head of M. He was Mad? After a minute, she reached the obvious conclusion- he was from the future. Which meant that, at some point, Xerox would stop taking his medication.

Useful. But only once the competition was finished. For now, she had other things to worry about, like finding a henchman. Actually, that wasn't the problem- the problem was finding a *good* henchman. There were so many second-raters around that it probably wouldn't be worthwhile to pick a henchman until she had more data. Fortunately, that could be remedied easily.

In the meantime, the competition itself was fairly exciting- she had never been allowed to go to any of the Mad events when she was little, and once she had grown up, she hadn't had the time. Besides, her family never competed much- they preferred to stay hidden behind the scenes, even from other Mads.

Honestly, though, she wasn't sure why- this was much more interesting, and not *that* dangerous. Just because Grandfather got caught one time- The area around her exploded as a malicious Mad tried to get too close. She sighed. Her necklace must have shorted out. She took it off- she could fix it, but other things would be so much more fun. For example, she had these nifty neural temporal displacement grenades. And there were a large number of Mads around, who probably also had interesting inventions.

She set the grenades to three seconds, then hurled them in every direction. All the Mads affected stopped receiving sensory input for three seconds, then went back to normal- except for the fact that all of their senses were now on a three-second delay. Enough time to be entertaining, but not enough for them to consider themselves seriously incapacitated.

And of course, all of them knew they had been attacked by something.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:09 pm 

Wally looked up suddenly. "Oooh, karaoke!"

Lagos floats in between Wally and the nearest intercom. "No. You have to get registered, especially since you're late. You can track down whoever it is after the madness test."

"Oh, alright. Just remember to do all the paperwork, without maiming anyone this time, okay?"

"On second thought, we could just try to sneak in? Or maybe hang around outside a bit more? They've got karaoke!"

"No, no, you were right. It's not time for distractions. Just make sure you have the proper forms for all of our installed weapons."

*Groan*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:09 pm 

As Wallycaine continued to fill out the paperwork, he and Lagos started to become aware of a disproportionate number of MSO agents converging on their position. They weren't even trying to disguise their movements...

The group encircled them, each one folding his or her hands behind their backs. They spoke almost in unison.

"Sir?"
"We're-"
"-sorry-"
"-but-"
"-when-"
"-on-"
"-contest-"
"-grounds, we-"
"-will-"
"have to-"
"ask your-"
"-henchwoman-" this speaking agent lifted his hand and pointed over to Lagos
"-to-"
"-disarm." they all started clearly glaring at Lagos' various varieties of built-in weaponry.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 pm 

Wally looked up. "I understand your position, but it is unfortunately impossible. Several of those 'weapons' are tied quite intricately into her life support systems. For but a single example, her tail laser is a heat bleed off from the power source."

"How do missles work into that?"

"Don't ask me to talk about the waste disposal program."

"But we didn't... Oh."

"I can promise that she won't use any of them. In fact, I will guarantee that on penalty of wolf pits, rabid wolverines, and whatever else your minds can come up with. Now, if you don't mind, I have a madness test to take."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 pm 

Jess grins from ear to ear. He can always pick her out, no matter how she shapeshifts. She leans casually against a booth, watching him. Heh. He's gathered quite a crowd. That gives her an idea...
A brawny MIB shoulders through the crowd. "All right, you've had your fun. Now please come with me, sir." The other MIB's seem content to let him be the one to approach the crazy.
Xerox grins, and waves to the crowd as he's led off.
Jess murmurs,"god, you're such a romantic. wait a minnit...your hair's longer? Babe, are you-you are, aren't you?"
Well, damn. Interesting....

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:49 pm 

~Jennifer~

She's retreated slightly to watch the fighting. Sure, they're still launching explosives at her too, but she's had plenty of practice dodging those. Such pretty explosives. She really can't help herself...

"MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" She continues laughing, dodging explosives and the occasional MadDog. It's all just so funny. She should do this more often.

The members of the security team roll their eyes. Another group of Mads blowing up a large area- they probably don't even remember why anymore. Eventually, the fight dies down, and Jennifer goes back to her hotel, the Excelsior. After all, she can afford the best, so why not enjoy it?

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:59 pm 

Janitor

"What do you mean there's no rooms left?!" Janitor leans against the counter and glares at the hotel manager.

"It means that it doesn't matter how much money you can 'rustle up,' you're not getting a place to sleep here," the manager says calmly, meeting her eyes. There's a reason he's still putting himself on duty. "Nor anyplace else in a five-mile radius, I imagine," he adds, surveying the conversation in an AIM chatroom set up with the other hotel managers in the area.

Janitor slumps a little. "So what am I supposed to do now?" she groans.

The manager hesitates. "I'm not supposed to say this, miss, but you're not the only one I've had to turn out this evening. A few of the mad scientist types are setting up camp outside the auditorium, and someone's handing out toiletries of questionable origin outside the post office. The library's open all night and a few clubs & bars are planning themed parties 'til late. I'm sure there's someplace you could go."

"Thanks," Janitor says, stunned. Well, what do you know, there are some decent people around this place. She makes a decision. "Here," she says, and hands him most of the money she's collected.

"This... this must be about five hundred bucks! (In ones, but hey.) Are you sure?" His voice is incredulous, but his eyes are hopeful.

"Yeah, sure." Janitor smiles, and walks toward the door after taking a complimentary mint (the bowl is surprisingly full for a hotel without vacancies). "Take care of yourself."

"You too." The manager looks down at the pile of money in his hands. He puts it into a drawer and types, "h3y guyz, guess whos gona have lazerproof toilets 1st"...

Janitor finds a coffee shop and treats herself to a caramel macchiato. She bought a tattered paperback off someone on the street, and now she opens the book. It's going to be a long night.

Trebaruna Quark and Dr. Gluon...

...are sharing a two-bed hotel room. Trebaruna has decided to spend most of the evening playing pool and eliminating a few fellow competitors with the blade concealed in her stick. Dr. Gluon is locked in the room with some Play-Doh and a box of one thousand crayons, of which only 'burnt sienna' will survive the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm 

The MSO operatives in charge of the team sighed. It was the same thing every year.

The day was drawing to a close, and with the exception of one final Mad, a latecomer named Wallace Caine, there weren't any Madness tests left to run. Quite a few people had been fed to the feral wolves, but in the end, that was why everyone participating signed a waiver before the competition.

But of course, there was something that they needed to do. An old foe had resurfaced. In the name of stability of the contest, something needed to be done. NE wouldn't be tolerated to cause any problems this time. Of course, this time she had been foolish enough to give them trouble before the competition.

Teams Buttercup, Dappled Gray, and Sunflower stood at the ready, as the lead of Buttercup knocked on a door. Claire opened the door to her hotel room, facing groups of men and women dressed in black, wearing black tinted sunglasses. "Miss NE? I'm sorry, but for the sanctity of the contest, we'll have to ask you to fully disarm. And by that, I have been authorized to say that unless we leave this building with every explosive, weapon, and object of destructive or dangerous intent on your person, or we will leave with both your arms, sans the rest of your body. You won't be getting them back, by the way."

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:10 pm 

Radcliffe met up with Professor Andronicus again.

"Ah, Mister Guy, such a great time isn't it?" In the direction the Professor had come from lied destruction and quite a few broken psyches. "I even invented a new weapon," he said holding up a small gun smiling. It appeared to have been made from a child's toy and a small bit of metal scrap. "Best I could pull of with the ridiculous limits of course," a bit angrily.

Radcliffe sighed, that's what you get with the Professor. He goes from joyous to peeved faster than you can say quark.

"I expect I shan't be needing you the rest of the day," said the Professor. "So go do as you like, just be back at the hotel by tonight...by the way which one are we in?"

"Da second shiniest Profess'a."

"Good good. See you." Professor Andronicus walked off, stopping only to grab a uranium sno-cone.

Radcliffe put his hands in his pockets. Well he'd better do something. Most likely involving a gun. They'd taken away his gun after he'd finished threatening that guy...

But he was Radcliffe Thomas Guy of the Brandt Guy Line. And if you could say anything about the Brandts, you'd say they were never without a gun.

He pulled an Uzi from his jacket, and smiled his big fanged smile. "This shoul' be tons'a fun," he said as he headed off to face and very likely beat the night into submission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:57 pm 

~Mad!Xerox~
The chuckled, smirking up at Jess.
"What is with you and being taller then me, huh?" he quipped, glancing back at the crowd. He'd almost liked to stay- but hey, the way he;d reprogrammed that speaker, anyone could use it now. Heh.

"Primary..."

"I mean, would it kill you to be a little smaller than me once in a while? I'm gonna get a complex at this rate."

"Prim."

"Alright, alright. I'm time traveling- not from far, just a few months, really. I remembered the Prix, and decided that I should take some time off and use it as an outlet for the Mad, you know? I'm still kinda... fresh. Raw, I guess." he said, slipping his sunglasses down so that she can see the slightly uneven pupils.

"Clever. So you already know if you win or not?" asked Jess, ruffling his slightly shaggy hair.

"What, are you kidding? I typically do my best to pretend the Prix doesn't *exist*. From a professional view its one big headache for me."

Jess slowly grinned.
"And from an unprofessional standpoint?"

"Well, here you have to remember that I was a juvenile delinquent. For instance, I'm pretty sure that I could reprogram that radioactive candy apple machine..." he said slyly, smirking up at his 'girl'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:25 am 
Heh heh heh.

As Claire began to take an assertive stance, a hologram appeared over the MIBs' heads. It was of a hand, doing a series of gestures. It was one of JN's private body language codes. The message: Do as they say.

As Claire began to remove incredible amounts of explosives from her person, one of the MIBs noticed the hologram. Several team members went to investigate, and found a tiny device, stuck to the opposite wall, was broadcasting the hologram. Nothing more could be discerned about it, other than the fact that it had to be short-range, and had "JN" stamped into its back side. While one team began collecting the explosives/destructive devices/etc, the other two started searching for Jane Narbon.

Unfortunately, JN was nowhere to be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:12 am 

Jess smirks back at him."Only pretty sure? Come on, Madboy, let's see what you can do. Get your girl an apple. Oh, and just because you're whining-"
Jess mock sighes, switches gender, and makes herself just the right height to fit under his arm.
"Sheesh. The things I do. And you *were* a juvenile delinquent? Baby, I never stopped. Let's go have some fun."
Oh, yeah. They're not gonna know what hit them.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:57 am 

They took my explosives. They took my explosives. I can't believe them! Just because I messed up the contest *once,* I'm not allowed to have deathrays or blasters or doomsday devices or knives or attack salamis? Sigh. And they only sent three teams, too. I guess Mistress didn't want me to destroy the hotel- we need a place to sleep, after all. But still.

And I won't be getting them back? You'd think they have some sort of grudge against me. It makes me want to ruin the contest. Pity Mistress would be upset if I did. Maybe I'll be able to ruin next year's.

At least they specified 'on my person'- I still have my wrench. But I still feel really weird without *anything* explody.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:09 pm 

Xerox smirks, raising an eyebrow.
"Hey, I'm no juvie anymore. Now I'm a full blown pain in the ass." he breagged, grinning down at her.

"And that's much better- two months from now/ a week ago I end up having to negotiate with Chic's pappy for a while. I'm barely past his elbows." he griped, twitching a little.
The knowledge that Andrew, and maybe even the kid might eventiually go through the 'family growth spurt'... some things were truly not meant for the mind of man. Turns out Vladimir had been 5'0 at Andrew's age.

He frowned as they approached the candy apple booth, glancing around.
"Crap, do you have a screwdriver? The damn rent a suits frisked me."

"Aw, you can make do." said Jess, not really believing him for a minute- like hell the suits actually got all his gear off him.

The pair approached the booth, and Xerox order Jess an apple, chatting amiably with her. When he took the apple, however, he suddenly turned stern.

"Hey, what the hell is this? There's a metal shard stuck to this apple!" he'd put it there himself, or course.

"Wh-what? Oh, I'm so sorry- the machine must be malfunctioning again. I don't really know how to fix it..."
Bingo. Couldn't have had an easier mark.

"What, really? Tell you what, wave the three bucks for another apple and I'l take a look at it. I work with a bunch of crazy machines like it at work- lotta madboys running around, you know how it is." he said, shrugging- which was likely what got him in. If he'd been manically happy to fix it, th e worker might have been tipped off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:23 pm 

Wally finally walks into the white room of the Madness test. One good thing about coming late was that you didn't have to deal with half as many people trying to kill you, at least in line. Of course, that was countered by the number of death traps still lying around, along with the fact that some took it as a sign of weakness to come late. Ah, well, time for the madness test.

Wally stood in the center of the room. What was he supposed to do? Was anything going to happen, or was he going to have to... 'oOoh sHiNY! AlRighT, ThEre's thE shInY, wHat WilL iT MAke?'

Wally passed, followed out of the room by a half dozen coin robots, all marching in interlocking simulation of an atom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:57 pm 

"Auugh! Now it's worse than ever! The apples aren't coming out candy coated anymore!" The hapless peon is tearing at his hair.
Xerox shrugs, sheepishly. "Hey, I gave it my best shot. What can I say, this piece of crap's on its last legs. Too far gone for me."
"Fine," he mutters, changing the sign above the booth. It now reads-Fresh Radioactive Apples! Organicly Grown, With that fresh, down home glow!
"Just...leave already."
Xerox snags an apple, tossing it to Jess as they stroll off. She carefully examines it while he grins at her. Smooth, unbroken skin-looks like an apple. She takes a bite.
It's ribboned with caramel inside, sliding through the flesh.
"Not too shabby." Takes another bite. "Oh, you are so doing the cooking."
"Heh-and when the first dieting mad takes a bite of their healthy apple-"
"Yeah, the confusion should be fun. All right, we need something a little more difficult-Hmm, Prim...maybe the Mad-Dogs? I swear, CMOT Dibbler would be proud of those."
Xerox rolls his eyes. "Come on, how about a real challenge? And it's your turn anyway."
The two wander through the grounds, amiably bickering. And sowing chaos in their wake...

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 am 

The sun was setting on Day 1, as the remaining unexploded Mad Scientists began to grow tired and settle down at thier temporary lodgings. Soon dusk gave way to night, and everybody rested more or less peacefully for the entire night.

And if you believe that, there's a bridge down in South Hampton the narrator would love to sell you. Legends say it's made completely out of buried pirate gold!

In any event, some rest occurred for at least some of a percentage of the minority of the people participating in the event. For those that survived the night, the following day would present new rewards... and new challenges.

The contest proper was about to begin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Day 2: An hour before the beginning of Round 1-

Crowds had gathered outside scenic Mega Stadium, situated in the center of Ogdenville and home to this years Frakenstien 1000 Grand Prix. Surprisingly enough, most of the stands and attractions of the makeshift fair outside the event had been rebuilt sometime during the night, even the poor ruined MadDogs booth, where the proporator was selling sizzle to anyone who was foolish enough to pay. Almost half the people who ate one didn't randomly mutate, which meant his food was much less dangerous than last year.

The formal opening of the stadium for the day was announced by bright displays of Mad-designed fireworks exploding in the murky morning shadows, daring the sun to rise early and try and challenge thier opulence. Not suprisingly, the sun decided to sleep in late. As Mad scientists got up and made thier way to the stadium, they were greeted by teams of MSO agents stading at every entrance, running them through a standard security system. Each Mad scientist and henchman entering the stadium to participate in the event first had to pass through an X-ray machine, then a powerful electromagnetic field which destroyed any computers or technology they were attempting to secret through security at the last minute. (Everyone involved was warned ahead of time so that no one with anything they didn't want sacraficed would lose anything.) The field additionally pulled away metal objects such as loose change, wrenches, and the occasional fake hip out of their hiding points on a Mad's person, and in one case, it made a heavily armed mechanical bunny entering the contest as Wallycaine's henchman mindlessly spout showtunes for about a minute or so after they passed through.

The third level of security was a search of pockets and clothing for any chemical weapons or tools, as conducted by a highly trained tracking ferret. And finally, after that, they were allowed to enter, and gather into the expanse of the stadium itself, surrounded by throngs of guests who had gathered to watch the fun.

Atop a large stage constructed in the center of the stadium stood a man clad in a very mismatched outfit. Wearing a worn fedora on his head and a brown tweed vest with red-striped pants and lavender socks, he certainly stood out. The fact that he was clutching a microphone was almost lost on those gathered today. He cleared his throat, the sound resounding through all corners of the stadium itself. "Welcome one, welcome all, to the 97th Annual Frankenstien 1000 Grand Prix! In this multi-day event we will witness these several thousand Mad Scientists who have survived Regristration compete for the title of Grand Supreme Mad Scientist with Cheese!...or something like that. I can never keep the title accurate." He dismissively waved his left arm, scoffing off any glares he got. "And as for myself, I am your host and officiator of the Prix, the memorable and distinguished Un-"

A death ray, crackling with bright purple light, shot out from the throng of Mad Scientists gathered to compete, striking the unnamed Host in the head, which promptly exploded. This sent his body flying off the back of the stage, as a man in the throng cackled madly and began firing his weapon wildly. MSO Operatives moved in to nab him. The unfortunate Host's bloodstained hat flew into the crowd, smacking a young girl Mad (Specifically, Chicgeek) in the forehead.

And the man who had been knocked off the stage stood up, appearing completely fine and not missing a head at all, despite what everyone around had seen. He stomped forward, swiped his hat out of Chicgeek's stunned hands, and pulled himself back on stage. What was stranger was that he was SMILING. "Ooo...was that a deathray? Really quality design, if I do say so myself. It's rare to see instant-kill varieties of them these days: I think they've fallen out of style. Most Mads seem to prefer to see their victims squirm a bit before they die, probably." he adjusted the hat on his head and nodded to the MSO operatives who had apprehended the assailant. "Toss him to the Wolves." He turned to face the crowd of onlookers again. "ANYWAY, as I was saying... I am Unkillable Eddie, the traditional Host for the Grand Prix. Those who do not know of me should know that, due to an ancient voodoo curse on my family, I am considered to have the highest-grade form of invulnerability known to mankind, having the ability to feel no pain and immediately recover from any sort of poison, injury, or disease."

His eyes took on a hollow, broken gaze for a brief moment. "O-of course, it also means that all food turns to ashes in my mouth, I cannot feel a lover's touch, and I am forced to watch those around me age and wither away as I remain hellishly eternal." He shook his head. "But regardless! Let the 97th Annual Frankenstien Grand Prix commence!" He held his arms up, and the sound of trumpets coming from no apparent place in particular erupted in jubiliation.

"Now then... a few announcements before we begin the first event. First off, let me introduce our judges..." With a flourish, he swayed an arm out to the right side of the stage, where a desk with seven chairs stood... with no one sitting in them. Instead, there were a collection of seven dimunitive gerbils resting on top of the desk, trying to look important. "Who are appearing as nonthreating virtual avatars here on stage thanks to the convience of solid-light holograms! Of course, to prevent any sneaky someones from trying to cause any trouble, the real judges are watching via a live feed from the Booth of Judgement, waaaay up there!" He pointed up to a large boxish structure suspended above the left side of the stadium, connected to the ground only by one rickety ladder and several sturdy support pillars. The windows of the Booth of Judgement were ominiously shadowed. "It's unfortuate that they can't be here in person, but if we didn't take safeguards to prevent another Helen Narbon incident, no one would have wanted to judge the event at all."

"MOVING ON!" He smiled. "We will now begin the very first event in the competition: A display of classic Manical Diatribe from each of our honored contestents! Who doesn't love a good bout of deranged laughter and sinister rantings? Here's how the event will go... one by one, each Mad Scientist will be called by name up to the stage, in front of my podium. There, they will have up to 4 minutes to show us exactly how terrifying and impressive they can be! During this time period each Mad's henchman is allowed to do whatever they can with any materials available to them to enhance their Master's performance. If anyone has any trouble finding a reason to rant Madly, our gracoius hosts of the MSO have suitable stimuli available to induce a state of Madness out of anyone of our contestents. Finally, once their ranting is done, our stellar 7 judges will assign grades on the rant based off of their impressions. So, without any further delay... let's get this over with!"

The crowd in the stadium surrounding the Contestents clapped wildly, as the first name was called...

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:27 pm 

~On the way to the first event~

"Claire?" I turn around. That sounds a lot like-

"Jennifer!"

She looks over me, then smirks. "I like your coat, and that hair color really suits you. I see you've found a way for them to let you compete. Does your dad know about this? Oh wait- you're at 'college,' aren't you? Because no one's going to notice if you're at college for 6 or 7 years, will they? I guess this means Anson wins the pool- I bet you were in jail. So who do you work for now?"

"Jane Narbon." It's really too early for this.

"Not bad, but I thought she would've gone for someone with some training. I'm surprised she hired someone like you. So, aren't you worried they'll still remember you here?"

"They took my explosives."

"Aw, isn't that sad. Claire doesn't have her explosives anymore. I guess that wouldn't be that big a deal if you could build more, would it? Sorry, but I'm blabbing, aren't I? So tell me, will you do a favor for your baby cousin? Actually, there are two things. The first event is coming up, and I've never been that good at ranting-"

"You rant fine."

"If *you're* better at ranting than I am-"

I roll my eyes. "I'm thinking of a nuuuuuumber..."

"Hey, stop it! I'm not falling for that anymore!"

"You know so much about me, but you don't know my nuuuumber... It's a goooood one, and you can't figure it oooooouut..."

She glares at me. "Pi. E. 2.9979 * 10^8."

"Nope!"

"Claire, you tell me that number this instant, or I will raze your tiny mind, leaving you a sobbing organic mess, incapable of retaining your own name, let alone a number! You are but a minuscule atom in comparison to the planet of my mind; my Madness knows no bounds, and I will use it to utterly obliterate you unless-"

"OK! OK! It's 6.6726*10^-11!"

"Oh. That was a good number."

"And you can rant fine." A number of people around us have started fearfully yelling random numbers at Jennifer. Not bad, considering she doesn't practice much. "Was there something else?"

"Um... I kind of forgot to hire a hench..." She sees the look on my face. "Not you! Ugh! I want a *good* hench, not you! No, apparently Professor Quant managed to hire a Misanthropie- Alceste, I think, and-"

"Did you say Professor Quant?"

"Yes, I'm not surprised you've heard of him. He's-"

"Give me ten minutes."

~Ten minutes later~
Professor Quant nervously walked up to the registration desk, holding a large stack of paperwork. "Um... hi, I'm withdrawing from the contest... and Jennifer Umbra's going to be using my henchman, Alceste Misanthropie for the duration of the contest... the paperwork's all here..." The man blinked. "Just take it already! I'm going home..."

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm 

Professor Andronicus and Radcliffe arrived at the stadium that morning with few troubles.

Once inside the stadium Radcliffe reached into his jacket to make sure none of the searches had hurt the gun.

"One day, Mister Guy, you must tell me how you do that."

"I couldn' tell you if I wanted Professor."

"You remember what we will be doing then?"

"Of course Professor, yeesh ya think I'm forgetful," said Radcliffe. He shook his head.

"Never mind then Mister Guy let's just find our seats then."

Radcliffe began to laugh when Eddie's head was shot off. He nearly bust his gut when the host got back up and continued, "Now there's a man I'd like to fight wit."

The Professor smirked, "You do realize that you couldn't hurt him, and therefore couldn't win."

"And that matters cuz?"

The Professor settled back to watch the rants. It was no wonder that they said the Kinfolk were the Jagers of America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:45 pm 

Amino yawns. "Ugh. It's too early in the morning for this."

Ingrid walks up to her, carrying a very large thermos. "Hey, ma'am! How are you on this fine morning?"

"Why are you always so god@#$% perky this early in the morning?"

"Coffee, ma'am. Want some?" Ingrid pulls out another giant thermos.

"Sure." Amino takes a sip. Suddenly she gasps. "Ingrid, how much caffeine is in this coffee?"

"Ma'am, this is a triple espresso cappucino. It's pretty much all caffeine."

"Awesome." Amino and Ingrid sip their coffee while listening to the opening announcement. As she listens to Unkillable Eddie, she begins to grin evilly.

Ingrid, noticing this, says, "Ma'am, please don't try to attack Unkillable Eddie. He'll just resurrect himself and we'll get thrown to the wolves."

Amino puts on an absurbly fake innocent face. "Why, Ingrid, whatever do you mean? I'm just wondering if Unkillable Eddie would like to try some of my pie."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm 

Andrew is yawning slightly, half leaning on a amused Saya. You would *think* Tinker Sama would be a morning person...

"Tinker Sama, will you be awake in time for your speech?" he asked, watching him sip coffee from that thermos of his.

"Nn. Yes. Th' never let me go until later... dunno why. Something t' do with sacrin' people." he said, yawning and glaring at a nearby cheerful butterfly, which immediately fell out of the air.

Twenty feet or so away, Fredric was chuckling at his Da's attatude.
"is he always like this?" asked Micheal, glancing as a happy bluebird somehow turned black in midair.

"Yeh, pretty much. If 'e c'n get away with it, he sleeps in 'till 12. Me, 'm Diurnal, luckily.... makes it a pain t' stay up late, tho. That, an' a cripplin' fear 'a owls."

Xerox, in the meantime was actually about to go on soon. Considering his name was an 'X', he suspected this was decided based on how much you managed to piss off the people running this show...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next