Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Grand Prix Backstage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 am 
Hyperkeeper

This topic is sort of like a small offshoot of the Lounge devoted to the Grand Prix. Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:02 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

I'm gonna make a basic statement of fact right here and now: To be fair regarding everything, since I'm playing the judges... David Toboz will not be winning this contest. He's not gonna even be in the running. However, because I've thought up of several situations I find amusing regarding him in the contest, he'll probably end up making it to the final round, by hook or by crook.

So yeah... David's not a contendah, but the rest of you better watch your backs... there will be other NPC mads to contend with...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:50 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Ooh, this is going to be fun... especially as it's Corrupted JN who's attending the competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:57 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Ooh, this is going to be fun... especially as it's Corrupted JN who's attending the competition.

Aw crap. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Well, you're all doomed. Sorry. Better luck next year. *Sighs*

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:48 pm 

Bah! I fear no Jane! You see, *I* get to play my best cards... pure, unleaded compition.
Why?
You see, this is occurring in an unspecified time, correct? As Thad put forward, perhaps even in-between time.
Therefore, I wish to declare my third (main) Entrant:
Primary Xerox, w/ Hench 'Lemon'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm 

Arrgh-I'm still working out who I want to hench for Chic, and you have enough characters for three teams? Okay, Michael's not yours, but sheesh!
(What-jealous? Me? Naah.)
I'll try to come up with something tonight.
But Tinker, not to be a wet blanket, but the Prix is for mad scientists, and Xerox hasn't gone mad yet, he's mad latent. Although I like the idea of a Xerox/Lemon team...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:57 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
But Tinker, not to be a wet blanket, but the Prix is for mad scientists, and Xerox hasn't gone mad yet, he's mad latent. Although I like the idea of a Xerox/Lemon team...

Yes, but he goes mad within the next month, and the Prix takes place at an unspecified time.
Ergo, this is Mad!Xerox. Who's to say he diddn't work out a way to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm 

Fair enough, Tinker. What's time and space to a mad? Mad Xerox ahoy! Wohoo!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Fair enough, Tinker. What's time and space to a mad? Mad Xerox ahoy! Wohoo!

I thought you would agree. XD
I just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:13 pm 

Just remember guys: Only so many people get through each elimination round. So more characters means it's more likely that one of them will get dropped.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 pm 

Aaand I have avoided being stuck with a plush hench buddy! Yay!
I wonder if this is the first year they've had a jaeger scientist/hench team?

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Just remember guys: Only so many people get through each elimination round. So more characters means it's more likely that one of them will get dropped.

Fine by me! I don't expect Xerox to necessarily make it very far. XD
By the way, since the first round will be speeches... anyone else figured out how their characters will muster up a good Mad Rant? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:

Fine by me! I don't expect Xerox to necessarily make it very far. XD
By the way, since the first round will be speeches... anyone else figured out how their characters will muster up a good Mad Rant? :D

Ditto. Trebaruna and Dr. Gluon probably won't even get past round one. They don't have a rant planned; Trebaruna usually lets her weapons do the talking. I just wanted to get used to writing them. Even if it means Dr. Gluon spends the whole time cheerfully being trampled by a stampeding audience. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:57 am 
Hyperkeeper

"qCompress" = quantum data compression. Also, it looks like SiB's mastered particulate matter air travel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 am 
Heh heh heh.

Why travel as airborne dirt when you can travel in style? Knowing Jane, even the car's probably been modded out with traps.

...wow, a four-day event, and JN's arriving a few days early. Now this promises to be interesting. Especially considering what's in those suitcases that JN said would be used for 'fun'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:39 am 

Okay that's the last thing we'll hear from Thaddeus in the Grand Prix thread. From now on it's all going to focus on Professor Andronicus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 am 

Hey, Registration takes pretty long in and of itself.

I imagine the Grand Prix is actually pretty popular with external viewers. People want to watch Mad Scientists compete... from a safe distance... with a few layers of security between them and the dangerous insane people.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:18 am 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
...anyone else figured out how their characters will muster up a good Mad Rant? :D

If Necessary, the MSO has operatives on standby that can provide certain stimuli unique to each individual in order to get them into what Jaegar call "The Madness place" so that they can rant most effectively.

In Andrew Tinker's case, they might have someone threaten to pull some strings in order to get his tenure revoked, for instance. (Not that they actually would... it's just a means of prodding a sleeping bear)

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am 

So, all the crap people are loading themselves down with is useless? Well, except for using on your fellow mads on the way to registration, that is. Just the clothes on our backs, hmm?
I can work with that.
But is the Grand Prix a one day event, or a multi day event like the convention? If the latter, won't we need lodgings, changes of clothing, a toothbrush for the love of Tesla!
If's it a one day marathon of madness, that's different. And what about stuff anybody'd normally have-money, cell phone? Can the hench be entrusted with them, or does the nothing but the clothes on your back apply to them too?

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:08 am 
Heh heh heh.

Eh? I thought it was a multi-day event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am 

chicgeek wrote:
Can the hench be entrusted with them, or does the nothing but the clothes on your back apply to them too?

I think it does. At the very least, it does for the last event, but I'm not sure about the whole convention. I'm looking forward to the violence when Claire finds out. :twisted:

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
But is the Grand Prix a one day event, or a multi day event like the convention? If the latter, won't we need lodgings, changes of clothing, a toothbrush for the love of Tesla!

My bad everyone. I should have been a bit more specific about this. The Grand Prix is a multi-day event due to the volume of contestants involved. The first day alone is devoted to regristration and the Madness Test, the exact nature of which will be explained a bit more in depth soon.

In short, no equipment is allowed ON THE CONTEST GROUNDS except what is provided to the Mad by MSO operatives for each round. This is being done due to abuse of performance enhancing tools such as mind control devices, strength enhancing exosuits, and notebooks which can be used to bend reality. (They only recently added that after what was known as "The Tinker Incident" two years ago, where a startling 15 other contestants just suddenly vanished into thin air on day 3. There was never any CONCLUSIVE proof of any wrongdoing, but after what happened they just decided to be more careful.)

Additionally, the 4th challenge is SUPPOSED to be very controlled as far as resources go: each Mad is provided with a different list of materials, and they aren't supposed to be able to get anything else aside from that.

Anyways, every night when the day of the contest concludes, Mads can retrieve any equipment they had to leave behind at a check-in booth in front of the MSO contest stadium, right next to the registration booth. Additionally, anyone who is in the audience and not actually competing can bring in whatever they want, barring a doomsday device of grade 2 or higher. MSO operatives are highly trained and can actually handle a lot of what Mads throw their way.

Also: Each Mad is expected to take care of lodging for themselves and their henchmen. For cost concerns, MSO does not provide shelter for contestants. Every contest day begins at 8:00 am sharp.

I'll amend the post I made to make it more clear.

EDIT: Yes, henchmen are bound by the same rules concerning equipment that Mads are. And Claire? I'm looking forward to it too. :twisted:

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 pm 

Okay, I get it now. Thanks!

scurries off to plot...

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:26 pm 

Hope it helps!

Anyways, if anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask. I know the concept's kinda underdeveloped.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm 

Oh, FYI-if Chic's buddy Jane wants to meet for drinks after the day's events-no way. Considering how cutthroat this competition is, she wouldn't trust Andrew or Wally!
She and Farnsworth will keep their own company, thank you. With personal forceshields at hand to halt microdarts.
I may not have the complete and utter deviousness of some of you, but I do have a healthy dose of paranoia.
This is gonna be fun...

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I doubt Jane's going to have trouble with people trying to interfere with her-- it looks as if she's going to be making trouble instead.

And yes, if Chic-- or anybody else!-- asks me to have a drink with them, I may just politely decline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:33 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
(They only recently added that after what was known as "The Tinker Incident" two years ago, where a startling 15 other contestants just suddenly vanished into thin air on day 3. There was never any CONCLUSIVE proof of any wrongdoing, but after what happened they just decided to be more careful.)

Hey, that could have *easily* been Dr. Kim, known for cunning use of teleportation devices. And it wasn't *his* fault no one checked his 18th pocket.
XD
And actually, Andrew has a basic trigger- very easy.
"You're a monster!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:47 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
And actually, Andrew has a basic trigger- very easy.
"You're a monster!"

I wonder what he makes of his jaegerfied cousin? And yeah, I know that's not why he thinks he's a monster.

And Chic's trigger is pretty easy, too. Bullies in general, but especially mysogynists.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
I wonder what he makes of his jaegerfied cousin? And yeah, I know that's not why he thinks he's a monster.

Har de har har. XD
It's actually from his past- he never talks about it, but he got a letter from a parent of one of the boys who vanished when he went mad.... it wasn't kind.
It's a touchy phrase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:32 pm 

Blarg. Next post concerning the Prix will be up sometime tomorrow. I gots other things I had to do tonight, sorry.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next