Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 am 
Heh heh heh.

I actually pity anyone who gets caught in Jane's web-- not because it's easy to get in, but because it's practically impossible to get out.

...heh....heh....heh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:20 am 
Hyperkeeper

I'm getting shades of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Nyeh heh heh heh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 pm 

I think it's funny Fredric is thinking of going incognito-by using the name Viktor? The Viktor name is feared more than the name Tinker, isn't it?
Heh. Chic will probably sign in as a Viktor herself.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:29 pm 

Because I couldn't think of a good way to include it in my recent post, right here I'ma gonna go into more detail about one of the first hurdles young Mads first participating in the Grand Prix must deal with:

The Madness Test.

Essentially, this is a way of determining that anyone who hasn't participated in the Grand Prix before is actually Mad, and not just an extraordinarily intelligent faker. To borrow a quote from Lupin Madblood: "Common Sense would be cheating."

It changes every so many years, due to updated research, but the general concept of the Madness test remains the same: A brief, extremely abrupt input to one of the five senses in an environment free of anything else that may distract one's focus. MSO studies have shown that this causes a short chemical imbalance in the brain which in Mads tends to amplify their less cognitive behaviors rather than their more intelligent ones. Common acceptable responses typically involve loud fits of laughter, twitching eyes, and the occasional punctured aorta. (Medical teams are, as always, on standby)

This year's Madness test is quite simple: Each Mad is led into a blank white room and asked to stand in the center of it, right behind a beam of light pouring down from the ceiling. As they are standing there, wondering exactly what is going on, a quite shiny polished nickle is fired out of a tiny cannon past them, through the beam of light, spinning in such a manner that it is extraordinarily bright for just a single moment. If the subject responds appropriately, they are deemed to be Mad and let in. If they just stand there wondering what the heck just happened, then they're politely led to the Feral wolf pits. The latter are rarely seen again.

Meanwhile, as always, it is the HENCHMEN who have to do all the paperwork. *Sighs*

So if anyone feels that their contestents would have to participate in the Madness test, or thinks it would be fun, feel free. We'll move on once everyone has had enough of socializing and is properly registered and such.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:00 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
I think it's funny Fredric is thinking of going incognito-by using the name Viktor? The Viktor name is feared more than the name Tinker, isn't it?

Well, he;s be *introducing* himself as Viktor, and registering as Tinker- the thing is, people are less @#$! likely to try and kill him if they fear him.
Edit: Dammit, i had a great post for Xerox and I accidentally closed the @#$! window. Arrrrggghh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:12 am 
Hyperkeeper

...and so we get to see the side of SiB's character that he usually keeps bottled:

If something gets in my way, blast it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:20 am 

...Yow.

This is why I liked the idea of the madness test. The reactions it generates in people are so telling.

Telling me not to try that against SiB again unless I'm properly grounded, for one thing. *Eyes wide*

Heh, it's a pity Jane Narbon already had a way around it. I'd have loved to see what her response to the shiny coin would have been. At least, once they get a new coin. Thanks a lot, SiB. Now one of the guards is going to have to make a sacrifice from their wallets for the cause.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 am 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
chicgeek wrote:

Well, he;s be *introducing* himself as Viktor, and registering as Tinker- the thing is, people are less @#$! likely to try and kill him if they fear him.
Edit: Dammit, i had a great post for Xerox and I accidentally closed the @#$! window. Arrrrggghh.

Heh. I was going to have Chic register as ChicGeek-when she wins this thing, it won't be under a pseudonym-but introduce herself as a Viktor. Great minds and all that...
I don't think anyone fears her *yet*. That will come soon enough. Heh.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 am 
Hyperkeeper

When she wins this thing? You know SiB is going to win, right? :D

Last edited by SoItBegins on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 am 

Heh. Dream on, SiB, dream on...

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:01 am 

Hey, don't hatchet your counts before they chicken, everyone.

There are 7 judges... and whether or not one gets beyond a certain round is dependent on impressing each and every one of them more than anyone else (Scores for each event are based on a mathematical average of alll 7 judge's scores. This is why the judges are so closely guarded, although more will be detailed about that later once the events actually start.

So don't get so cocky that you forget to actually do well. :D

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:17 pm 

*hides a hatchet behind back*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:03 pm 

And now, since I've given Michael a chance to say his piece, I feel I really need to let another character say something:

Nurse Joy: Just a friendly reminder: Try not to get injured out there... *She sits in the corner, removing a Browning 9mm handgun from her waist and lovingly polishing it, her foot tapping against a case of explosive rounds sitting next to her chair.*

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:52 pm 

Fredric; Wererabbit my bloody foot! I caught it, an' it's MY quarter now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:58 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Corrupted JN is creepy.

Say, I wonder why she turned him female?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:01 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Corrupted JN is creepy.

Seconded. This motion may now be put to vote.

Jane Narbon wrote:
Say, I wonder why she turned him female?

I don't want to know. I don't want to know. I don't want to know...

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:22 pm 

Why exactly haven't Ingrid and Xerox met yet?! They can bond over espresso and paperwork.
Edit: Hmm... there seems to be a pattern to the reactions, so far catagorized as:
Attack: Shred/decimate the quarter Example: Chic, Trebaruna Quark, So It Begins.
Capture: Take the quarter. Example: Fredric, Dr. Amino
Passive: React, without attack Example: Andrew
Respond: target the source of the quarter. example: Xerox

Edit: Added Dr. Amino.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 pm 
Heh heh heh.

FYI: Groink aliens are carnivorous, and have poisonous spines. Feeding one [without getting eaten yourself] is as difficult and more dangerous than trying to give a cat a bath.

Also: Hmmm... it looks like these security forces are the famous Men [and Women] in Black. Yes, those Men In Black.

I wonder what'll happen next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 pm 

Interesting. The corruption is taking a firmer and firmer hold on Jane. But she's so thoroughly developed a reputation as Evil, no one notices....
And Jane-you said, I wonder why she turned him female?
Only one answer I can see-
Because she can.

The Prix's pretty cool so far. And Groink aliens? Great, Jane-you've just guarenteed Zobot inflicting them on us now. :D

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:13 pm 

Glad everyone's enjoying themselves!

Regrettably, I might not be able to post very much this weekend. By monday everything should be back to the Norm, but I'm up to my armpits in difficulties right now. I apologize for the delays...

I go sleep now.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:58 pm 

heh. Good luck. I'm mumped up with a cold... can barely write... sinuses.. killing... me braiiin. *sniffle*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:04 am 
Heh heh heh.

It's interesting to see what the Mysterious Shadowy Organization does. I wonder if it's easier or harder [for the MIBs] than handling alien troubles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:34 pm 

And technically Xerox isn't breaking any rules. :D
I imagine a few people waving lighters.. beakers... rayguns...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:02 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
It's interesting to see what the Mysterious Shadowy Organization does. I wonder if it's easier or harder [for the MIBs] than handling alien troubles?

Actually, they're not MIBs... technically. I mean, they do OCCASIONALLY work with aliens, but what secret conspiracy hasn't at some point or another? They're more like all-purpose secret service agents that don't work for a government body. They dress all in black on the job primarily because it makes them look enigmatic and suspicious, and because it's the corporate approved dress code. They even banned multi-color ties after someone purchased a pink one from some nice traveling gentleman. It turned out to be infested with malevolent colors... such a pity. It took them a week to repair the damages.

We advance to the first round after Wallycaine clears the madness test, and when everyone feels ready to transition to another day.

I'm kinda surprised someone hasn't made an (admittedly foolish) attempt to go after the judges yet.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:58 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Professor Zobot wrote:
Actually, they're not MIBs...

That's just what they want you to think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:50 pm 

Crap... you mean they've been deceiving me all this time? Oh dear...

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:26 am 
Heh heh heh.

Hmm... I wonder where JN managed to secrete herself to avoid detection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:07 am 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Hmm... I wonder where JN managed to secrete herself to avoid detection?

*Grins* It's not nice to tease people, Jane. Although it IS fun.

Nevermind. Carry on.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:32 am 

And thus we begin day 2, and meet the gracious host of the event, Unkillable Eddie. He's practically immune to death and all deathlike states!

Sorry if I seem to be rushing anyone. Feel free to post how your character got to the Stadium, anything that happened along the way, etc; in your posts. So here's how the 1st event is gonna work:

Everyone may post their character's manical ranting when it is conveient for them. Henchmen such as Claire or Michael who are controlled by separate players may post anytime after their Mad's post describing how they're aiding their employer. After so many posts, I will give a post describing the Judge's reactions and their grades for each person's ranting.

And of course, if anyone has anything they want to do outside of their performance for the first event, they may feel free. I will state that any contestent that doesn't show up when their name is called is given 10 minutes to show before they are disqualified and everyone moves on.

And no... the judges aren't ACTUALLY gerbils. They just picked avatars that looked the least important in the hopes that no one was gonna try and mess with them this year.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next