Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Sorry about the post length- I needed to get Jennifer a henchman before the first event, and the easiest way to do that was have her run into Claire.

And, in case anyone's wondering, it was in fact the 'I'm thinking of a number' thing that drove Jennifer Mad in the first place. Claire and Jennifer have a weird relationship.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:38 pm 

I like the dynamic between Jennifer and Claire. They work pretty well together.

Although I can just picture Claire teasing Jennifer with that number thing while running away from her enraged sibling.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Zobot I believe you have some sort of mental disorder. It doesn't seem that bad. It's just that you seem to read the word 'cousin' as 'sister.'

First Izydora and now Jennifer. I just kind of see a pattern there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
And no... the judges aren't ACTUALLY gerbils. They just picked avatars that looked the least important in the hopes that no one was gonna try and mess with them this year.

Awww, can;t one of them *actually* be Artie, just for the pure redundancy of it all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:59 pm 

Unfortunately, I can't do that.

Mostly because I kind of fear writing Artie. I'm not sure I'd be good enough at writing a character that I know is smarter than I am, hands down.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
. I'm not sure I'd be good enough at writing a character that I know is smarter than I am, hands down.

Never stops me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:36 am 

Ha! Not that Chic's really planning on being your future overlord (Or is she?....), but that was fun!
Xerox reminds me an awful lot of Vimes. I can see the two of them bonding over a gripe session sometime.
And Zobot, what is it with you and throwing things at Chic's head? First David tosses his lens thingy at her, then she gets hit with Undead Ed's hat! I like how I made use of the last one, though...
Heh.
Couldn't really think of anything for Farnsworth to do except look respectful.

Again, that was fun!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

For some reason I found Mad Scientist Xerox's mad speech as an example of something that is cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:38 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Xerox reminds me an awful lot of Vimes. I can see the two of them bonding over a gripe session sometime.

Hah! I can see it too... I never planned on it, but there's a bit of the Vimes spirit in Xerox... the iron-hard conviction of protecting a city/group whether it/they damn well likes it or not.
Not much of an 'overlord' speech, but chilling in it's own special way.

blazerflarey wrote:
For some reason I found Mad Scientist Xerox's mad speech as an example of something that is cute.

... really? Huh. Yeah, he can be weirdly adorable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:24 pm 

I'll admit. I wrote the most recent post because I lost a bet with a friend IRL and had to use the phrase "Power of love and friendship" in a sentence in a creative work I was involved in. I selfishly chose the Mad Sci Wars, for some reason.

Of course, it also introduces Sarcastic's alternate, who we may never see again outside of the Prix: Sincere Male PC. Like Sarcastic, he's also a gamer, but since he's an opposite...

Well, people are free to speculate on how he's different from Sarcastic, aside from obvious physical differences.

The next formal post (introducing the judges) will occur soon. I'm waiting on something kinda semi-significant before I write it.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm 

Sigh... I always feel so bad for those heroes in the Nega Verse. The Nega Verse has t he opposite rule of the Posi-Verse- heroism is Doomed To Fail.
Or, at least, the Tinker regime seems to always be back on the ground after a week or two...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 pm 

Hence why Nega-Zobot isn't particularly concerned. This is almost like a vacation for him.

A really inconvenient vacation, but a vacation nonetheless.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:43 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Hence why Nega-Zobot isn't particularly concerned.

Awww, he is totally worried about Freddy, you can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 pm 

Nega-Zobot: Well, I did put him in a healing tube. It's filled with a non-oxygen based goo designed to help him recover faster. I give him a 50/40 chance of recovering before he dies due to lack of anything to breath.

What happened to the other 10% you may ask? Well...just don't ask.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:00 pm 

Questions: How/who does one ask for help getting to the Madness place, and is there any specific mechanism used to inspire that?

...I ask because there are at least three different ways I can see Trebaruna's rant going. Two of which would be very bad for my current plans for Janitor/the Other Two, but which would be most amusing to work off of. Any information I can use to narrow it down would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
Nega-Zobot: I give him a 50/40 chance of recovering before he dies due to lack of anything to breath.

Hah! Knowing Freddy, he;s wired to *gain* consciousness if he can't breath.
Gotta love being a construct- which, i have decided, for want of a better term, Any Tinker is. construct, anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:07 am 

JanetTor wrote:
Questions: How/who does one ask for help getting to the Madness place, and is there any specific mechanism used to inspire that?

...I ask because there are at least three different ways I can see Trebaruna's rant going. Two of which would be very bad for my current plans for Janitor/the Other Two, but which would be most amusing to work off of. Any information I can use to narrow it down would be much appreciated!

Regarding how one asks for assistance: Since the MSO recognises that it's unreasonable to expect a Mad to be able to go off on a insane tangent at the drop of a hat, they have people ready to provide impetus at any given moment. All one needs to do is say the words "stimuli please!" and one will be provided.

MSO has specifically trained operatives designed to conduct private research on most Mads entering the contest specifically for this purpose. Anyone who enters is immediately subject to a background check and psyche profiling, and a background including the origin of their madness, any personal quirks and flaws they have, and basic background details are noted to be possibly exploited. I imagine they occasionally contact M and request assistance in this sense, since M has one of the more well-documented databases on Mads in the country.

Any and all information MSO gathers is strictly confidential and will not be released to any other source, and in any case primarily consists only of information freely available in the public domain, and they'd be extremely offended if anyone were to imply otherwise, thank you very much!

In any event, no, there's no specific mechanism involved. It's pretty much unique and dependent on the Mad requesting the help, but they wouldn't use any information that wouldn't be freely available, so it's not as if they're gonna give away any pertinent secrets. Such stimuli have been known to fail before simply because MSO can't find anything in publically available resources about a given Mad that carries enough weight to drive them into a Mad frenzy.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:14 pm 

Allright, I decided that Fredric would go by his real name, after all. Now, if only I could remember his full name...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:35 am 
Heh heh heh.

I must say, it's fun, this Insane Ranting thing. I wonder how Jane got her 'stuff' into the Mads and audience members?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm 

Spores? Baloons? A table with free punch? Bumblebees? Clowns? Killer clowns? Radioactive killer clowns? Ninja?
...stop me when I've got it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm 

Those brave, brave souls on MSO detail. No, really. They go everywhere, interact with and forcibly restrain basically all the guests. Who better to spread whatever contagion Jane was hiding her sleeve? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:21 am 
Heh heh heh.

You're moving in the right general direction-- Just one little catch: According to Prime, over 60% of the other mads (and about 30 or 40% of the audience) currently are playing host to one concoction of Jane's or another. How the high volumes? Security forces wouldn't end up coming into tactile contact with that many people, even if you made them all into living slap patches (which would take time and equipment that Jane doesn't have.)

So, how's she doing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:24 am 

My apologies for the delay in posting the judging scores... in all honesty there's something I'm waiting on before I put them up, and it hasn't happened yet. Plus I'm marginally busy this weekend, which is pretty lame.

So I may be updating a bit slower than usual, I apologize.

And incidentally, I just have to say, Jane Narbon, with me knowing exactly what you've done: That is DASTARDLY.

-Xin Yun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:12 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
You're moving in the right general direction-- Just one little catch: According to Prime, over 60% of the other mads (and about 30 or 40% of the audience) currently are playing host to one concoction of Jane's or another. How the high volumes? Security forces wouldn't end up coming into tactile contact with that many people, even if you made them all into living slap patches (which would take time and equipment that Jane doesn't have.)

So, how's she doing it?

I'm guessing it has to do with the poor schmuck she made female. The security forces were all distracted by what she did, examined him/her, freaked out...And the room was probably tidied by the cleaners like any other room. Sheets sent to the laundry, room vacumned and dusted, ect. Could mysterious chemicals have been spread that way? The same vacumn and supplies would be used for many many rooms, the linens would come into contact with others...I know I'm reaching here, but what the hey.
And I've just given Jane an idea to use later if I'm wrong. Sigh.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:04 pm 
Heh heh heh.

chicgeek wrote:
I'm guessing it has to do with....

You're half right. Keep working at it!

Quote:
And I've just given Jane an idea to use later if I'm wrong.

Hey, remember-- if Chic and Jane ever get back together, it'll be "an idea for us to use later". Heh heh heh... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:54 pm 

Quote:
"Alright... so that's an average for Intimidation of 7.7, and an Originality of 8. Pretty impressive for a first timer. I'd say he has until tonight before the rest of the lot tries to kill him."

Eeeeeee! Whoo! Go, Xerox! That's not shabby, not shabby at all. he seems to score height for originality, so that's pretty neat.
*little Dance*

I guess i should go ahead and post Fredric's rant already...
Edit: Heh.
Or, should I say: hee!
...hey, why not? The Tinker extended familly was introduced at the Con, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:54 pm 

Now I'm picturing Xerox and his birth mom having a heartwarming bonding moment-right before they simultaneously try to take each other out of the running.

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 pm 

It;s very likely. Dr. Rose is every inch as ruthless as Xerox is....
And the family 'voice' is just like that- randomized reverb. Used in place of italics or underlining- that's the general pattern.

Xerox went to find her when he was fifteen, with his parents approval.
Dr. Rose was made to give him away, as she was young.

Edit: Whew! Finally. And Fredric is SUCH a Dr Who nerd....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:22 pm 

Okay, Tinker, Dr. Rose is Xerox's birth mom. Is she also the mom who is a mathematician, hell to bring a report card home to-or is that his other mom?
And the "My Grammy's got better surround sound!"
I'm picturing a sweet little old lady, setting out milk and fresh baked cookies for little Primary...and also some wires and a soldering iron. "Now, dear, you just cross that wire there, and..."
"Gosh, Grammy, you're the best!"

C Valente

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:33 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
Okay, Tinker, Dr. Rose is Xerox's birth mom. Is she also the mom who is a mathematician, hell to bring a report card home to-or is that his other mom?

Other Mom- Dr. Xerox is sane, but has Mad relitives here and there.
Dr. Rose is an expert on Gravity.

chicgeek wrote:
And the "My Grammy's got better surround sound!"
I'm picturing a sweet little old lady, setting out milk and fresh baked cookies for little Primary...and also some wires and a soldering iron. "Now, dear, you just cross that wire there, and..."
"Gosh, Grammy, you're the best!"

Hah! That'd be Grammy Xerox, from his Dad's side. Grammy was a punk. :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next