Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:58 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Zobot-regarding David's pondering as to if M has any spaceships or not-
I dunno, but Xerox did hitch a ride with Chic on hers. That could mean no ships, or more likely, Xerox was impatient and went with the first available option.
Kid Atomic has opened the shop for M-and if the earth survives, M will owe him a pretty penny. But that's just rocket cars, rocket cycles, and jetpacks. Stuff for in atmosphere flight. Which, admittedly, might still come in handy.
And I'm looking forward to Radiant and Flux responding to Jess. :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:55 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Hawk: *grumbles* I can't believe my ship got destroyed. Who is going to pay for it huh?!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 am 
Hyperkeeper

Aaaand the Martians are BACK!

Today: Our first hints that something isn't quite right. Actually, they're the second or third hints, but it's more concrete than before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:03 pm 

SO

A storm brought down our phone line. No internet. I'm logged onto the library computer for now, but I don;t have much time with it. With any luvk, it will be fixed shortly and I'll be back. But I wanted to let you guys know why I'm suddenly AWOl.
AUGH. Wish me luck...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:31 am 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Location: What is a location but a point in a world without meaning?
OOOOHOHOOOOO that was immensely enjoyable to write.

I think I'm getting the hang of Revel's character now. Awesomeness By Analasys mostly, with occasional helpings of Acheivemants in Ignorance...

Of course he will lose the latter once his censor breaks down completely, but what he WOULD gain would be total and complete understanding of the universe, which would... uh...

Cause his mind to re-assert the Weirdness Censor in self-defense. Hm.

This is, of course assuming you are not figments of my imagination. Of course, it is impossible for you to be, as your imagination is simply the application of things you have learned in new ways. If nothing was real, then I would not have any experiences, and thus no imagination.

"Science does not have a moral dimension. It is like a knife. If you give it to a surgeon or a murderer, each will use it differently."
- Wernher von Braun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:07 pm 

Blargh... I feel terrible.

I've been saddled with a rather horrible cold, and I'm only now getting somewhat over it. Aside from work, I've spent most of my time sleeping.

I'm only now at a state of lucidity I trust myself to write in.

So yeah, that's where I've been lately.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:02 pm 
Hyperkeeper

New Martians posts!

Remember: The truth is a tough commodity to come by.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:42 pm 

And now... Tanglebox vs. Martians! Who will win!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:50 pm 
Hyperkeeper

A small story, in the Tales. It might raise a few questions about the past.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:44 pm 

Yay! I love reading your bits of stuff, SiB!

Seriously, I miss getting to chat with you online. Ever since I started my night shift job it seems like you and I don't get to talk at all. It sucks. How have you been, man?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:15 pm 

Sorry guys, between insomnia and suddenly visiting relatives, I might not get a chance to post today... I apologize.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:14 pm 
Heh heh heh.

The annual SiB-Jane holiday tale is up. Merry Holidays to all, and to all a great night!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:14 am 

Happy holidays to everyone, whichever one you celebrate.

This year for Christmas I got some really wonderful things, especially a pair of work gloves that I have BADLY needed.

Also, Dragon Age: Origins, which I love getting but regretably found my computer not powerful enough to play. Guess for my birthday I'm asking for a new graphics card...

Something postish will be up soon!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:02 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. The Wars is 1 year and 9 months old.

May it last many years more.

Also: for your enjoyment, a Christmas carol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:05 am 
Hyperkeeper

All right! To recap:

• The Martian fleet has been destroyed, but for a few scattered vessels. So has the Tanglebox.

• On the ground, Jane has finished her communication with the Mad Martian. Space debris is incoming and is (hopefully) being shot down

• And, on Mars, our intrepid band of adventurers is trying to figure out: What is going on?!

Oh, and @Prof Z: For Christmas this year, I acquired Plants vs. Zombies. Now I can't shake the tune: "There's a zombie on your laaaaaaaaaawn...."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:53 am 

Hmmm I wonder how we can get the condition of the fleet to david and hawk.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:15 pm 

Yeep!

My apologies, folks... between a sad stomach bug and the holidays, I've really fallen behind. I'm feeling better now, and my collage application is just awaiting a final run over my essay, and my recommendation letters- *fretfretfret*.

Well, I'll try and catch up soon... I don;t suppose anyone could send me a recap of what I missed?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:16 pm 

Tinker, I've sent you a rather verbose recap-not sure where you left off reading.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:00 am 

So- Claire = flying space debris that will need to be deflected or shot down? :D

Claire: I don't see why it matters... Fredric's bubble will protect me and get me to Earth and stuff no matter what...

And Claire's STILL completely oblivious as to why Michael asked her to bring a high-powered teleporter... she hasn't even gone anywhere NEAR an alternate universe yet...

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:00 pm 

(The following is an unpaid ad for a specific game and NOT, as one may expect, a tale of Madness)

The Journal of a Dimensional Drifter

Aka: David's Log

Day 3: It has been nearly a year since the events that caused me to get catapulted far, far away from my home universe. Having arrived in this alternate universe as a result of my continued attempts to find my way home, I found myself in a world ruled by a singular empire of humans. Upon my arrival, I immediately got in trouble for asking about someone's hat, and found myself flung through a portal unceremoniously through a portal into a massive complex of subterranean caverns far beneath the surface of the planet.

Also, I've apparently decided to start keeping a journal. What's up with that? I have no idea why I'm doing this. I'm apparently crazy, although that's nothing new.

I found myself entering a place called Fort Avernum. It seems that this entire underground place is called Avernum, and it's a general dumping grounds for anyone the Surface Empire finds distasteful. You get flung here. Happen to worship a different god than what's normally accepted? You end up here. Teach someone magic? Down you go. Dislike the emperor? You'll be shipped down here so fast your head will spin. Accidentally mix your whites and your colors on laundry day? That's an exile-worthy offense too, or so I was told by Jimmy the Pink.

Apparently, so is having any manner of technology whatsoever, meaning that even if I hadn't gotten in trouble for my dire hat-related offense I'd have had a one-way ticket here anyway due to my metal arm and all the other stuff I brought with me. They took it all: my dimensional transporter, my various hero-gadgets, even Andrew's plot device.

In retrospect, I probably should have fought back, huh?

Having been sent down into the pits, I was expected to integrate myself into the exiled people's community. They don't seem very big on hope around here. I had other plans. My only choice was quite clear: I must find my way back to the surface, get my precious items back, if they even still exist, and get back on my mission to find my way home.

With that goal in mind, I set out from Fort Avernum. I later learned I could have been given some free equipment there. Yeah... that probably would have been helpful. After wandering blindly through the landscape, I found myself horribly lost, until I met some familiar faces: Jaeger! It turns out they exist in this universe two... they claimed to have used to be part of the honor guard for one of the Heterodynes of this universe, who got shipped down here for some reason, and has apparently not tried to escape because of a certain discovered fondness for Bat Sandwiches. I hoped to impress them into helping me escape, but they apparently had other ideas. These PARTICULAR Jaeger were apparently getting tired of the usual bat sandwich fare, and were hungry for something a bit different...

That's why I'm currently tied to a stick, slow roasting over an open flame.

So yeah... my first day down in Avernum has NOT been a jar full of jellybeans.

I kinda should start trying to figure out how to escape before I'm well done. I'll write more here later if I survive.

Bye!

(Go play Avernum today!)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:57 pm 

"David's slow roasting on an open fire,
Hungry jaeger nipping at his nose..."

Hee! Nice bit, Zobot. David's been all over the universes-why not stuck in a gameverse?

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am 

Claire wrote:
So- Claire = flying space debris that will need to be deflected or shot down? :D

Claire: I don't see why it matters... Fredric's bubble will protect me and get me to Earth and stuff no matter what...

This is actiualy quite true- Fredrics unique magic will, however, allow her through even Steve's 'Hand'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:25 pm 

Quick note- Sayasukes explanation of light via space is, of course, kinda wrong. If anything, it;s actually *full* of light. However, he;s also right in his own odd way- via dark matter, and by the odd 'logic' that it *looks* black, so close enough.
Whether he has a better grasp of this then you;d think and is simplifying for Zanshitai, or if he's just taking advantage of the nebulous state of 'magic' rules... well, hard to say.

Either way I realized I hadn't said where Saya and Zan were in all this- and, well, they *do* serve Andrew, so...

Also- adding something to my post. Just a little extra detail.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:38 pm 

(The following is an unpaid ad for a specific game and NOT, as one may expect, a tale of Madness)

Day 4: After the situation I found myself in yesterday, I'm honestly surprised I'm still alive.

The Jaeger that were slow-roasting me found themselves under attack by a larger force of these strange feline people who apparently had as little love of them as they did of me. In the midst of the confusion, I was able to wriggle free, somehow avoid falling into the fire, and get safer.

What was unfortunate was that the cat people apparently didn't like me any better than they liked the Jaeger.

So it was probably a good thing that I'm so good at running! Most of the cat people couldn't keep up. Only one of them was able to follow me, and she's actually pretty nice. We've become fast friends, despite an apparent language barrier between us. I have dubbed her "Other Claire", and thus far our relationship seems to revolve around her attempt to teach me how to survive better by teaching me how to dodge various sharp implements she swings at me! It's really helpful. I was already pretty good at dodging, but Other Claire is really going all out to make sure I improve! I mean, she's nicked me a couple of times, but I know she doesn't mean anything bad by it because she keeps stopping to recover her breath.

We spent most of the day traveling back to Fort Avernum so I could get a bit more of a bearing of where we were. But I went a bit too far east and we ended up in the city of Silvar. Other Claire, for some reason, seemed reluctant to join me in entering and wandering around the city, but I have no doubt that she'll wait for me and welcome me back out with axes once I'm done here. Hopefully I'll find a few more people who can give me some idea of what's to do around here, and maybe even point me in a direction that might lead me out!

(Go play Avernum today!)[/quote]

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:38 am 
Hyperkeeper

So that's who Reese Witherspoon was doing all that voice acting for! :lol:

Also: Did I ever mention that it's fun being an evil DM?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 am 

Reese Witherspoon? My first thought was that it would like Jane's 'perky' voice... What better way for the Martians to scare people just by talking to them?

Until Jane found out about it, anyway. I guess then the Martian invasion would be taken care of for us... :D

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 am 

Heh. I'm reminded of that scene in the Blues Brothers, right when they pay the taxes? Cuffs click on their wrists, the camera pans back, to show more and more SWAT with weapons pointed at them, pans back more, even more weapons, ect ect.
Nicely done, oh evil one!

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:19 pm 

Day 6: I've made a new friend!

Ok, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. A lot of stuff has happened since the last time I wrote in this. First of all, when I went into Silvar, I learned a lot about Avernum and the peoples there.

Apparently Other Claire is a member of a species named the Nep-phil-im, or however you spell it. And they're not very well liked by the humans here... A long time ago, the Empire banished as many of the Nep-phil-im to Avernum as they could, and they've been here longer than any humans have... so they're not happy that humans are suddenly "Invading" their territory, and now the humans trapped here are stuck in a bloody war with them for survival.

Or so I've heard... but that CAN'T be all right. All Nep-phil-im can't hate humans... what about Other Claire? She's so nice! Anyway, there's also some other race of lizardpeople down here, the Slith-zerry, or whatever, who haven't seen humans much before... they wouldn't have a problem with humans, except they control the giant underground lake, and try to kill anyone who goes near it. Fish are one of the few sustainable sources of food around here, not to mention the rarity of water sources, so I guess it's natural that the humans feel the Slith are being selfish.

It makes me kinda sad, really... everyone seems so tense, and it doesn't seem like anyone's tried talking or working things out at all. They all just fight because it's what they're used to, and the only thing anyone can agree with is that everyone hates the surface empire.

While I was in town, I was approached by a nice man named Demothesis. He was trying to pull together a group of people to accept a job that the mayor of Silvar was offering: A raid on a Nep-phil-im base to the north of here where a lot of soliders who had been captured were being held prisoner, and he thought I looked capable. Apparently he's some sort of expert marksman with that bow of his... after I assured him that I knew someone else who'd be happy to help (I'm sure Other Claire will oblige to helping us free some poor innocent people!) he had me sign some contract. I didn't really read much of it, but he assured me that it was fairly standard. Oh, and apparently I misplaced my moneypurse after I was done meeting with him. I can't remember where I might have lost it, I don't think I took it off my belt the whole time while I was in Silvar.

So he and I agreed to meet outside the town, where we'd meet up with my other friend. But it was kinda funny... when Demothesis showed up outside town with a new coinpurse that looked remarkably like the one I lost, except it had his name etched on it, he took one look at Other Claire and began knocking an arrow on his bow!

So now the two of them are fighting and I'm not really sure what to do, so I'm writing. I hope they can resolve their differences soon... if we don't get going, those poor prisoners might die!

(Go play Avernum today!)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I just saw "Sherlock Holmes". So did SoIt. They turned Irene Adler into a proper Jane Narbon... Prof T may be somewhat irked, but I enjoyed the movie quite heartily.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:42 am 

Jane Narbon wrote:
I just saw "Sherlock Holmes". So did SoIt. They turned Irene Adler into a proper Jane Narbon... Prof T may be somewhat irked, but I enjoyed the movie quite heartily.

...Turned? My dear, 'The Woman' is the Proto Jane Narbon. The Omega and Alpha of Trickster Women. I have no doubt in my mind that if she cared to, she could have overturned England.

That said, I have an open mind about the movie, and so long as they don;t shoehorn Holmes into making big soppy puppy eyes at her I'm sure I'll adore Miss Adler.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next