Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:22 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Zobot wrote:
While we're dealing with fantasy, and since this IS a forum about Mad Science, I thought I'd take a few moments to talk about something I just recently discovered: A webcomic entitled Wiglaf and Mordred, about a family of supervillians named after various characters from old British legends and myth.

Go check it out. It's pretty fun.

Michael: Indeed. Although I may have to borrow a few notes from Mordred's book...

Curse you Zobot!

My new addiction aside...

Radcliffe: *to Michael* Ha ha ha ha, ya make m' laugh. -Ya do tha'. G'dness knows ya kneed ta find a way ta be more ineffec'ive. *wipes tears of laughter from his face*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:02 pm 
Heh heh heh.

...wait a sec, is Lady Viktor talking to Claire or to Jane? I'm confused...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Sheesh, gone for one night and suddenly everyone posts insanely! *Sighs* You people will be the death of me. And where's Wally, anyway? I was hoping he'd jump in on this..

Oh well.

Michael: Your ignorance is showing, brute. Let's review: Mordered A) Notices EVERYTHING, b) Has the devoted service of a rather desperate and lonely young lackey who is perfect at everything, C) Doesn't have to deal with annoying government entities sticking their noses in his business. *He pulls out a Swatting Ray and fires abruptly behind him, knocking an Interpol Recon Droid to the ground, and then proceeds to swat it several times before it's broken beyond repair and function* D) Has two older siblings so adoring of him and so competitive that they aren't allowed within a 10 foot radius of him at family functions for fear that they'll destroy the event, and E) Is underestimated by almost everyone. If he were only less apathetic he'd be almost a perfect rolemodel... it's obvious he could manipulate Wiglaf into almost anything he wanted him to do if he really wanted to. He just doesn't want to.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 pm 

I figured to keep my character simple................ for now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:52 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
...wait a sec, is Lady Viktor talking to Claire or to Jane? I'm confused...

Oh, sorry. Rereading, it must be Jane. Thanks, Jane. Teach me to skim. I'll edit my post. :oops:

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 am 

Ok...a new post will be up later today...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 am 

Er...I forgot both Claire and Jane had black hair, sorry! I figured since Claire had already struck up a conversation with Sir Andrew, I'd try to drag Jane in. I'll be clearer next time! But hey, a bar room brawl by its very definition is confusing, right?
Hey, does anybody know the movie where the tough guy is sitting all cool and nonchalont while the bar is being destroyed by the brawl around him, only to go crazy when his drink is spilled? Was that Chinatown?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 am 
Established Mad Scientist

Professor Zobot wrote:
Sheesh, gone for one night and suddenly everyone posts insanely! *Sighs* You people will be the death of me. And where's Wally, anyway? I was hoping he'd jump in on this..

Oh well.

Michael: Your ignorance is showing, brute. Let's review: Mordered A) Notices EVERYTHING, b) Has the devoted service of a rather desperate and lonely young lackey who is perfect at everything, C) Doesn't have to deal with annoying government entities sticking their noses in his business. *He pulls out a Swatting Ray and fires abruptly behind him, knocking an Interpol Recon Droid to the ground, and then proceeds to swat it several times before it's broken beyond repair and function* D) Has two older siblings so adoring of him and so competitive that they aren't allowed within a 10 foot radius of him at family functions for fear that they'll destroy the event, and E) Is underestimated by almost everyone. If he were only less apathetic he'd be almost a perfect rolemodel... it's obvious he could manipulate Wiglaf into almost anything he wanted him to do if he really wanted to. He just doesn't want to.

Part of the reason why Mordred works is he's technically a rich kid playing with the servants. Yes, he's technically above them, and social propriety demands a certain aloofness. But done right it becomes less important how he treats others, and more important who he spends his time with.

That said, I think you have to outrank half the cast pull off Mordred. We simply don't have enough henchfolk for that, Michael. Maybe Jane and Claire could pull off that "really does listen" bit, but it is Jane Narbon we're talking about.

You'd have better luck trying an Azrael. Former robotic arm getting emotionally attached to an inanimate object? Despite being so distant from real people? I can kind of see it, anyone else?

Frederic might be rather concerned. Between him and good old Tinker, you might get the "cookies and tea" version of the valkyrie treatment. From that position, you might be able to pull off Mordred, but I wouldn't put good money on it. Mad scientists seem to be great lovers of "tough love" and "shock treatment."

Meanwhile, the whole cast is too self-made to really support a "royal" attitude. Andrew's a half-villian who has committed to heroism, David's another kind of "self-made hero," chicgeek is a runaway who found a new family, Jane's a conspiracy survivor who now runs her own secret organization, and the bunnies, the bunnies take @#% from NOBODY, and NOBODY'S @#%$!!

By the way, thanks for the new read. =)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:24 pm 
Heh heh heh.

In case you're wondering, there's no such contract-- Jane, with her twisted sense of humor, is just sending the Lady on a wild moose chase.

Ah, it's fun being evil... :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 pm 

Jingleheimer-Schmitz wrote:
Professor Zobot wrote:

Oh well.

Michael: (Speech of fannish idolization)

(Well-thought out argument establishing the unlikelihood of fan's dreams)

Michael: *Sniffs* I know, I know... but I can dream, can't I? A madboy can dream... *Sighs and walks away, looking like someone who just watched their dog get shot*

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:53 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Ah, it's fun being evil... :twisted:

Johnathan: "I dunno, maybe your kind of evil. But I just crushed a child's dreams apparently. And it kinda... sucks."

Professor Zobot wrote:
Michael: *Sniffs* I know, I know... but I can dream, can't I? A madboy can dream... *Sighs and walks away, looking like someone who just watched their dog get shot*

Johnathan: *Sighs and puts on the metal turtle-neck* "You know..." he comes up behind the younger Toboz, "I bet we could find the sword Camlann somewhere in the side thread..."

Michael: "What's the point? Even Mordred couldn't touch the thing..."

Johnathan: "Who cares? We'll just load it into a ballista and launch it at enemy generals, like that spear toss at the end of 300."

Michael: "Madness..." His mouth twitches. A smile, however brief?

Johnathan: "E~eh? I bet even Mordred couldn't build an arm to swing the sword for him."

Michael: "Who cares?! I could find EXCALIBER and they still wouldn't support a royal attitude. You said it yourself, they're too self-made!"

Johnathan: "I said we don't have enough henches, Michael. Not in Xyon City. But in the Xyon just outside of Janfort, there's an endless sea of redshirts! Mooks and mobs and NPCs of all shapes and sizes. Except for the sarcastic ones, they're just annoying."

Sarcastic: "Hey!"

Johnathan: "With enough proper, speaking-part henches we can set up a caste system like the one that allows Mordred to be Mordred."

Michael: "But the side thread takes place in a different... universe from the main thread..."

Michael: "...doesn't it?"

Johnathan: "How alternate can an alternate universe be? A madboy can dream alright, but more importantly, they can MAKE their dreams happen."

*ties on an orange scarf*

Johnathan: "C'mon, we better get to work on those henches. I think Sarcastic's rolling up a character sheet for David in another thread. Something about losing too many Sanity points."

Michael: "Okay, but one last thing..." Suddenly a small knife blade extends from his cellphone.

Johnathan: "He hacked off my friggin PONYTAIL!"

Last edited by Jingleheimer-Schmitz on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 pm 

Fredric: EXEPt tha' it's been clearly defined tha' Alternate Universes are *incredably* difficult t' get to. The only one we're in contact with took *years* 'a, technically, *both* moi Da an' Alternate Da *years* to breack teh gap. An' even then we're talkin' about two very close universes.

Eric: Or me.

Fredric: ... wot?

Eric: It took *me* only a few months to figure out a method of rocketing two people to a *very* far away dimension, remember? Although, mind you the method *did* die with me... and I never told anyone the method. I wonder what Andy thought of that...

Andrew: ANGER! RAGE! TANTRUM!

Eric: Aiiieee! Katty! Help!

Dr. Risk: Like hell, feather-butt. Good luck... Oh, and *now* that dear Micheal boy and Jinglemeiyers boy know that you can bridge dimensions. Start running.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:41 am 

Claire: Wait, what? It's not too hard...

Jennifer: First of all, you were taught. Second, figuring it out did take years. Third, remember what happened the *last* time you tried to get to an alternate universe without help?

Claire: Oh, yeah. I'm not doing that again... But I bet I could help Mister Tinker could find this place. I think I might have been here before...

Claire^: YOU @#$& BEEPED MY NOSE!

Claire: Oh, right. That.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:36 pm 

This universe is... well, unusual. I don't doubt that it DOES exist, but the events happening in this story... well, yeah. You'll just have to find out at the very end, don't you?

Anyway... a few quick things:

a) No, this won't become a regular occurrence. I wanted to have a bar scene and play with the traditional "Fantasyish" adventure opening, as well as mention alcohol elementals, but I also knew where I wanted the game itself to actually start. I promise that I won't be taking control away of anyone's characters to this extent again. Well, not unless you guys give me a REALLY good reason. (Vaguely recalls a DnD game where his players actually tried to find a way to sink a continent and shudders)

b) Every character, save for Jane, has woken with a hangover, although not necessarily of their own making. Effects of the Alcohol elemental, as I previously alluded to.

c) Sir David is nowhere to be found at present.

d) Any unconcealed equipment save for the base clothing your characters wear is missing. So is any concealed equipment that isn't fairly well hidden. This includes armor, weapons, portable holes, etc. Finding this stuff might be a priority for at least one of you.

e) Claire's situation is again one I have to apologize for. She made a comment about not wanting to be offered up as a sacrifice and I couldn't help myself but put her in this situation.

f) Kerrigan must survive.

g) The stolen sheep are both formerly from Atrius' herd... err, flock. Whatever you call a large group of sheep. Don't be mean to me, I'm tired.

Thank you and goodnight!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:21 pm 

And now putting all of my combat points in ranged-sling and melee-general pay off. Okay I didn't make a character sheet, but Atrius fights with a sling. He can make a sling out of strips of his clothing* (hooray for lizard people not realizing that a sling can be made of cloth). And they're in a cave. Caves have rocks to use for his sling.

*albeit a very poor sling

EDIT: and he'll make the cloth sling just as soon as someone breaks the chains

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:42 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:
e) Claire's situation is again one I have to apologize for. She made a comment about not wanting to be offered up as a sacrifice and I couldn't help myself but put her in this situation.

Well, I'm entertained. This *has* happened to her before, by the way. At some point, someone figured out that letting the bloodthirsty fighter get kidnapped by whatever was menacing everyone tended to end the menace fairly quickly. This may not be the wisest strategy, and she *has* gotten injured by a few things, but she's always made it back, so the CO at the time (her longest job, lasting for around 10 years due to a phenomenal level of understanding on said CO's part) didn't really have a reason to come up with a new one. The original Claire had the same problem, although that tended to be more dragon-centered, and she usually spent a decent amount of time yelling at whichever hero tried to rescue her. (the person who kept volunteering her for 'dragon maiden duty' thought that was funny, which was why he kept doing it) (and no, most of those dragons weren't in this universe, or the one for the main game- some of the other random fantasy universes)

As far as this Claire goes, I really couldn't resist. A few notes- she's the creation of a wizard and an alchemist, both of whom where fairly eccentric, which might explain why they thought a human/cat hybrid for the purpose of combat would be a good idea. She usually looks human due to her locket, which the lizardmen probably weren't able to get off of her- people have tried to take it before. It's got a pretty complicated locking mechanism and a *really* sturdy chain. She doesn't want to lose it, after all, but it's broken at the moment, so that doesn't really matter. The ears, tail, claws, eyes, and teeth constitute all of the ways her appearance differs, and she's got an advanced sense of smell and hearing, both of which turn out to be fairly useful for a mercenary. As far as other things go, her appearance has caused problems in the past, which is why she takes such pains to disguise it. The claws are the only thing that's really useful, because people often don't plan on someone that appears human having them. And the sensitive hearing does *not* mix well with hair-trigger combat reflexes, which makes sleeping interesting. That's all I can think of right now...

I hope all of that's ok, Zobot. I can change it if it doesn't fit, though.

(also: a sneak preview of Claire's evolved form? Only time will tell. And by 'time,' I mean 'probably somewhere near the beginning of the next chapter, because I feel like finally tying up some of the 8 million loose ends Claire's left lying around')

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:01 pm 

It's prefectly fine, Claire. I don't want to tell people how to play their characters, and in all honesty nothing that you've come up with thus far is game-breaking anyway.

Sir David:
*Is in a cage dangling over a pit of lava* Umm... when are we going to get to me? Not to sound self-focused but I'd kinda like to know what's happened to me between getting taken prisoner and now?

In good time, young one. In good time.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:21 pm 

Btw anything in blue in my post is said by somebody else.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:53 pm 

Well, it;s a good thing Andrew dosn;t need a spellbook...
Heh. Explanation!

Andre etc etc etc etc Tinker
I wanted top try and mimic his in-game habit of very *rarely* using his most powerful skill. So despite being supposed to be a great Wizard, he seems to never use magic. For instance, he wouldn't normally have enchanted someone's sword like he did in teh tavern, but he has a soft spot for his cousin and pretty much will indulge her.
Instead his main mode of operation is throwing weapons when he can find them, and hand to hand combat if he can't. Without the fancy coat, you would just figure he was another fancy-type thief or something...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:24 pm 

Wheee! Attacking party members! And she's all covered in blood, including her face from the chicken, and clearly feline, and wearing a pink foofy dress... And Frederik was just kidnapped and apparently about to be eaten and his Da's missing...

Causing chaos is fun.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:47 am 
Heh heh heh.

The thing about writing Jane-- any Jane-- is that the character just about writes herself sometimes. Especially the one-liners.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:30 am 

In regards to Frederic and Claire's current situation in this side story:

This is incredibly silly.

Yes, it's another poor excuse to include a webcomic link. This is MS Paint Adventures, a webcomic I'm really digging. The premise is very interesting: the guy who creates it sets up a basic situation and then the collective audience of the comic suggests what the characters involved should do step by step from there. Everything that's happened in it so far as been suggested by the readers and worked into the thing by the artist, and for the most part it's been a wild ride.

Thus far he's done 3 of these, in the style of old text-based dos games, where you had to type in commands at the bottom of the screen: Jailbreak, Bard's Quest, and the most known, the epic Problem Sleuth: taking on gangsters and supernatural threats in the early Prohibition era has never been so fun!

What are some other webcomics people have been reading lately?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:49 am 
Heh heh heh.

"Everyone who looks like they needed it" basically means all who don't have some other way to get out (like Rand, who's pulling himself loose).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:07 pm 

Professor Zobot wrote:

What are some other webcomics people have been reading lately?

Well besides GG and GiTP:
Real life comics
CAD
Th world that wasn't meant
8 bit theatre

Anyvays Am I like the only regular guy in the group?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 pm 

Ooh! OOh! Synthea. Mad scientisdts, and a goo girl, and robvots and a freaky cat and cockroach ninjas!!

And yes, John. Yes indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:59 pm 

Just out of curiosity, Tinker, is Sir Andrew the mage jaegerkin, or something like it?
I'm going to have fun playing Chic/Lady V as a swashbuckler.
And now I'm really missing fantasy gaming. Speaking of that, what games do the rest of you play?
I've played-old school first edition D & D, T & T-tunnels and trolls,which is loads of fun, Gamma World, a little Dragonquest long ago, Amber, Shadowrun-I had a troll physical adept jesuit priest, and lots and lots of Champions-a campaign set in my hometown, and a long running one set in London just to have fun mangling the accents.
Fess up, y'all!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:06 pm 

I've only done D&D 3.5 a little bit- I don't have a gaming group, so I just play with one of my cousins. Although I did a FF: Tactics-based LARP that was a lot of fun. I've also played through Neverwinter Nights, and I have the second one but I still haven't started it for fear it will eat my life. That's about it for me, I think.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:32 pm 

Yeah, my other half and kid are Neverwinter Nights/Baulder's Gate junkies-yes, it WILL eat your life! Especially if you do like they do and keep trying all the different character classes/races/variables...
And I haven't had a gaming group for a long time....sigh. Me & the other half would take turns running campaigns for each other, and slowly got too busy for even that. We may have to get back to that. I used to play in an online forum for T & T and Gamma World, but I quit having the time, and so did a lot of the others, apparently. Shame, it was mucho fun.
He did a vampire LARP briefly, playing a human vampire hunter named "Bubba" Van Helsing. Brewed and drank garlic beer to belch at the vamps, had a knife of petrified wood, a gun that shot frozen needles of holy water-yeah, a redneck descendant of the infamous Van Helsing. Fun while it lasted.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:33 pm 

I played i little bit of Mega traveller, D&D 3.5 and City.

City is a RPG that my dad made up before he graduated from high school. A lot of role playing then roll playing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:13 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Interesting fact: Those creatures we were fighting... first they were "alcohol elementals", and then "alcohol spirits". Now they're "spirits spirits". Go figure.

As for the geek thing... well, I'm more of a gamer myself. I have a friend who's going to introduce me to the wonders of DnD (eventually), and I've messed about with MTG a few times... that's about it, though.

I do play Kingdom of Loathing, though... the game is possibly a parody of every RPG ever. And a really great RPG at the same time. And free. Go check it out!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next