Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Eeeeeeeee!!
...*cough* I mean... excellent.
(Nyeh heh heh heh heh heh...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:05 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

So Primarius is a Runelord, basically the magical equivalent of a programmer...

*pokes plothole*

...and you're not using him against the magical robot, despite the giant glowing rune in its forehead?

*ductapes Primarius' mouth*

"I'm hungover, on a stressful mission, and within tackle-hugging distance of my Chaotic Catwoman and Claire as well! I WANT TO HIT SOMETHING!"

*Primarius rips off the duct tape and looks incredulously at the glowing mouth that formed in the middle*

"Yeah, I'm 'magic.' What're you gonna do about it?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:04 pm 

What do you mean? He *clearly* launched himself at the Anguish Golem the *minute* it moved. And I think you're mistaking familiarity with expertese.

He uses *Runes*, yes, and runes have a place in the construction of golems- but Golem Crafting and Rune Coding are *not* the same thing. Just because you can build a computer dosn't necessarily make you an expert on robotics.

Primarius: What am I gonna do? I'm gonna slap you on my desk and see if I can cop out of work for a few hours, that's what. If I could get it to just yell epithets and mutter, no one would even realize I was gone...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:37 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
What do you mean? He *clearly* launched himself at the Anguish Golem the *minute* it moved. And I think you're mistaking familiarity with expertese.

He uses *Runes*, yes, and runes have a place in the construction of golems- but Golem Crafting and Rune Coding are *not* the same thing. Just because you can build a computer dosn't necessarily make you an expert on robotics.

Primarius: What am I gonna do? I'm gonna slap you on my desk and see if I can cop out of work for a few hours, that's what. If I could get it to just yell epithets and mutter, no one would even realize I was gone...

Dude, I've been accused of referencing D&D too much, but in the original legends the golem is one letter, one rune, away from being deactivated! Forget magic, dip an arrow in mud and you have a 1 in 3 shot of taking it out. Its like acid on a troll, your weapons work fine provided you spill something on them.

"J-tech Industries, our Duct Tape for Government Office! Now GET THE @#$ TO WORK! razzum frazzum..."

Quick note: I had some internet trouble yesterday and a backlog to catch up on, but future reference: Ivan may work as an Assistant Golem Mechanic, but he's also the only trained field surgeon in the party. He'll show up magically if someone gets injured, but not for "Twisted Metal in Concert." Just let Claire tank for a while, she already missed the fight with the dragon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:05 pm 

Jingleheimer-Schmitz wrote:
Dude, I've been accused of referencing D&D too much, but in the original legends the golem is one letter, one rune, away from being deactivated! Forget magic, dip an arrow in mud and you have a 1 in 3 shot of taking it out. Its like acid on a troll, your weapons work fine provided you spill something on them.

....GREAT. But I am NOT USING the original damn legend, alright? I am the DM, and I get to decide how the golems work.
This is a *metal* golem, of unknown origin, design, and make. It has *a* Rune, but that is not necessarily what is making it work. You do NOT know how to take it down automatically, you do NOT get to call the shots, and you do NOT get to lambaste me for a so called 'plot hole' when I am doing my best to keep this thread running.
So I make myself clear?

And: You do NOT get to 'show up magically' if someone gets injured. You are either with the party, or NOT.

:angry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:26 pm 

*ahem*

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Lord Andrew: Stop saying that!!

By the way, if it's more convenient for everyone, there will be a standard random encounter on the way. So there's always the 'help during the battle and then join up' method.

If you chose anything other than a metal golem of uncertain ominousness, I wouldn't have said a word. Its a good random encounter, it challenges the party. It also is built like a friggin' tank, blunts their metal weapons, and spells have an unknown effect on it. Unless we're playing with hitpoints or legends, this thing goes down at an arbitrary point set by the DM, which is you, I'll admit that.

Less arbitrary options include let the Runelord work with the highly visible rune, aim for the joints, or use the fact that its a Metal Monster, possibly damaged, on Uneven Forest Terrain. Runelord feels like hitting it at the moment, but he could still work his magic later. Aiming for the joints works unless the golem is somehow booby trapped, like when it spews gas out of its mouth. As an example, you remember the legend I referenced? Erasing one of the letters forms the hebrew word for "Death." In the legend "Death" ment the golem either powered down or crumbled into a million pieces. If you want to go against the legend, why not make "Death" be short for "Bring Death to Everyone In the Vicinity of the Rune Being Erased in the Most Painful Way Possible." In short, "Death"Bot mode, that'd teach me. Third option requires a knowledge of the local countryside, or extreme luck. If you made the players randomly enounter a pit of quicksand, then the golem, that example writes itself...

....Look, cards on the table, I'm thinking about killing Ivan off and having the lizards go off in search of the only other humans they know. If the lizardmen hit a river and swim downstream, they can use the current to reach where the party is faster than they can move on foot. If you want us to rejoin the party faster, an angry druid is looking for Ivan and the lizardmen are still afraid of bushes. Its dramatic, isn't it? Having your only guide killed off by the most alien being imaginable...

...If, however, this encounter with the golem was set up to bring in a certain Ranger with understanding of flesh golems, that plan doesn't work. Ivan's NOT with the party right now! He doesn't know about the problem and I can't think of a reasonable way to get him there in time for the battle. If someone is sick or injured, he's the closest thing to a doctor in Janfort, so between the Grigs and the Druid, I can probably work in enough shortcuts to get there before they die. Then he'd stay with the party. If the forest critters are worried about Metal Monsters, however, they're more likely to send a bear or something big.

Bottom line: You call the shots, I'm just the monkey pointing at the big green artillery cannon and pleading with you to use it because the medic is gone and the tank could do a lot of damage otherwise...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 pm 

Jing, your characters are not with the party, and are not fighting. There is no sign that the situation isn't being handled fine. You can do what you want with your characters- but I don't have to let you dictate to me what has to be done with any of the characters under my control.
It's not your place to dictate how this battle is played, or how it is run. Even if you were right, that doesn't mean that is how anything has to work, or that I have to listen to you.

You can just have your characters join later, but the bottom line is that you made your choice to move them where they are. If you regret that choice? Too bad, so sad.

But as it stands, you're being incredibly rude, and I don't deserve it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 pm 

Jing-you notice SiB and Jane aren't here yet either. This is just the first encounter, not the climactic battle. There's no way for Jing to be here in time? That's fine, you didn't have to be. Tinker and I did ask that the group reform. That means, your characters are on the way, and will run into the group. This adventure won't be finished overnight-it'll take a while. I mean, yeah, the sooner the prodigals come home, the happier we'll be. But we plan on running this the entire time Zobot is running his chapter in the main wars, give or take a little. So it's reasonable if people need a few posts to get their characters into place.
Just remember-this is inspired by d & d, among other things-but it isn't d & d. Which has me rubbing my hands with glee, actually. It means we get to suprise you with stuff you're not expecting. And also makes me happy since most of what I knew was from first edition anyway. :D
I really hope this is something we can all have fun with. We're gonna try...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am 

And now! Potentially the destruction of the horrifying Anguish Golem!
...tomorrow, anyways. It's 1 in the morning, and I have to get up early. Gahhhh.....
by the way, if anyone ever wonders why I sound kinda 'spock' sometimes, it;s because I have resorting to cps. So when I'm upset, I tend to belabor the point. Stupid habit... but whatever. We're all human here- stuff happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:53 am 
Hyperkeeper

Post up! It looks like Rand's paid a seriously high price for being brought back.

ProfT: Can Rand arrive in time to fight, or at least deliver the finishing blow to the golem?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:11 am 

By all means! It's early, so I'm not up to full speed, but I should be able to knock ou an appropriate post....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:34 pm 

Just so people know, the Godsblood is just an excuse to justify how Lady Draza and "Taren" are technically behind the rest of the characters by now, but will probably arrive in Ashi before them, assuming that nothing plottish or random-encounterish bothers them along the way. Unless someone particularly feels strongly about getting their hands on some, the two of them should have used up their whole supply by the time they get there, just to ensure that there's nothing unbalancing the game or anything.

"Taren":
Aww... but this stuff's better than Energy drinks! And it's less fatal than that coffee regular Chic offered me once!

No talking back, young one.

"Taren": *Sighs and folds his arms in protest*

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:02 pm 

Dr. Mallory: Here- a drink from my home country. All natural, of course. *hand him a steaming cup of... something*

...You're *evil*.

Dr. Mallory: A member of the League of V in good standing, actually. And I want to see what happens. No one at the Leauge lets me make the coffee anymore.

Edit: *sigh* failure to post. Will remedy tommorow. Tired. Suspecting dreams will mash-up Enders Game and Darkwing duck... again. Happy 4th!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:23 pm 

Attention Adventurers-things will be heating up soon. Wally, Claire, and Hawke-be on your toes! SiB, you said you wanted in before the fight was over-may we suggest Rand make his appearance before this goes much farther? Jane, Jing, and Ingrid-you're welcome to find us. If that's not feasible for your characters yet, perhaps a brief post about what they're up to? Thanks!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:52 pm 

Ah, speaking of..
I have been considering making an official limit on 'DM' posts. I'm still a student, and on summer vacation to boot... my work takes up very little of my time compared to most people here. As such I have a tendency to post rapidly. And I worry... perhaps I'm making it harder for people to respond, or to jump in, and for people who are away from the computer lot it might even be a difficult sort of backlog.
If I were to put this in effect, than I would only make 'DM' posts once or twice a day, unless things picked up all of a sudden for any reason.
Do people think this would be a good idea?

Also, just to make sure...
I have created a whole l 'Plot' for the duration of my time running the fantasy game. It uses elements from Zobot's plan, but exists in it's own. I'm planning it with the assumption that 'Main Game' and 'Fantasy' characters are on the same level of strength.
My usual 'chapter style' is the same as last time.

I hope it will be fun for everyone. : )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 pm 

I'm sure you and Chic will do a good job, Tinker!

"Taren": If you're so sure, then why aren't you making me into main character instead of keeping me as a backup secondary character if the game slows down?

Quiet, kid... you're bothering me.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:29 pm 

Lord Andrew: *Tell* me about it... bad enough I'm 20% crazier than the *other* Andrews...

Thanks fr your support. Maybe I'll just bring out the 'botheration' stick. It;s from Sweden!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:59 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane gains a new ability!

Flight of the Eagle

Upsides: Flight, increased speed, decreased bodily density.
Downsides: Jane now will have a harder time swimming or diving. The antigravity spell portion has a high energy drain. And controlling the whole 'flight' thing is another kettle of fish!

Flight spell will not work in the presence of anti-magic fields.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 am 

*sigh*, between a boring meeting-y thing, and a power outage, I lost too much time today. Tommorow morning, I swear. It's not even going to be very hard... it'll just take a while :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:35 pm 
Hyperkeeper

The original text read:

Rand charged in, but barely had a chance to post before the golems fused. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 pm 

*snicker*
Sorry! It's hard to judge when someone is going to post around here, and I reeeeeeaaaaly needed to move the plot forward. :lol:

So- a little breather after the golems. Post as you like. Things should be picking up from here on out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:45 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Oh Tinker, if you want to tie in Atrius' monsters to your story that's fine. If not, it's a wandering monster attack.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane joins the party!

If you want Jane to crash into any of your characters, feel free. No one will get hurt (thanks, Reuel!), though I imagine there's some humorous one-liners that could be made.

Oh, and Jane's first words on landing should be: "Hi!" ... and after that, she should pass out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:21 pm 

Hee-both Jane and Jackie have reason to offer the occasional prayer to #2!
Poor Zeroks, with Jane and Jackie in the group.
Reuell was a nice touch there. Calder could be of assistance in the future, if you keep flying...
Jane, you can crash into Lady E. if you want. I thought I'd see if any of the magic users wanted to show off, first.
Her first words-probably something along the lines of-YOU?!
Heh.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:09 am 
Heh heh heh.

As requested. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:35 am 
Hyperkeeper

*drumroll* Rand now has 1/8 [2/16] of his soul back! *triumphant jingle*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:11 pm 

Hmm... I'm not sure where to take this from here...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 pm 

I'll be introducing my character after Tinker's next Dungeon master post. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 pm 

Sorry! Sorry, had my first DnD session in over a month yesterday, and was lame on the posting. I swear, plot will be up by today.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 pm 

Why are you apologizing? Don't feel like you're under any pressure to do this, please. You're not. We can wait, and this is only for fun, you know? :)

Take all the time you need.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next