Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

*sigh* Thanks.

And Jing? I need you to delete your last post. I'm right about to do a big plot point, and Im sorry but introducing a new character right now would be too much stuff happening at one time- and theres a plot reason, but that will be later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:33 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
And Jing? I need you to delete your last post. I'm right about to do a big plot point, and Im sorry but introducing a new character right now would be too much stuff happening at one time- and theres a plot reason, but that will be later.

Err... that's not Jing. Jing is still Mia, to my knowledge. That's Herr Doktor.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:10 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

I dropped it, sorry Tinker. :oops: Here, have a cookie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm 

Herr Doktor, I look forward to seeing you in Mad Alchemy later! Lady Viktor just might challenge you to a friendly duel...it's a weakness of hers. :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:46 pm 

Oops! I meant Herr Doktor. Sorry- I've been like that all day. :oops:

Dont worry- he;ll get into the main game soon. Just I have to have something happen first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 pm 

I think that my character would be more than happy to accept Lady V's invitation :twisted:.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 am 

*whimper* Good lord... I should just start plotting party fights in ahead of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:35 am 

Aw...just a friendly little duel, not a 'fight'. Really. Come on, I made my character a swashbuckler. I fully intend to climb a vine covered tower and swing on a chandilier before the chapter's finished, too. :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 am 

Heh. I'd give decent odds on fantasy-Claire attacking a party member at some point... especially if they're in the middle of a peaceful town and there hasn't been a good fight for days.

That, or, you know, if she doesn't trust them or thinks they're attacking her or something.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:40 am 

Ok... Tinker? Chic? Don't worry about having to include Lady Draza or "Taren" right now. For the moment they're just on their own side-side story, mostly because I like writing about the characters and I thought it would be interesting to pull this. Don't worry, I promise it won't disrupt anything you're doing, ok?

*jumps over a shark*

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:23 pm 

I probably enjoy Zerock's utter lack of confidence in his personality more than I really should...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:30 pm 

I enjoy this quote from Zeroks-
"This guy was obviously completely Bursar, but then again so was Andrew, Wallace, and most Wizards he'd ever known."
And it completely escapes Zeroks that he's a wizard, too. :D

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:02 pm 

*Snicker* I assure you, if you pointed it out to him he would talk at *great* length about how 'Runes' may be *studied* by wizards, but being a master *of* Runes does not *make* you a Wizard etc etc.. before eventually caving and admitting he's 'Crazy in a different way'. I assign his madness into a particular category in my head shared by D. Mallory, Dr. Io, and Baron Wulfenbach- It's the pure, overwhelming force of *focus* that's so scary.

I've enjoyed picking out the differences in the Alts and expanding on them- Fantasy vs. Science being more subtle than Nega/Posi- and for Zeoxks his main difference is an endearing sort of personal cluelessnes. Not about anything too important- mostly just about himself. (a lackof self awarness, really)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm 

I've been interested in the fantasy/science differences too, although I think I'm having a bit of trouble with them...

I think that the biggest difference is that fantasy-Claire isn't really that fond of wizards and magic, as opposed to Claire's love of Mad Science. Bah... I need to develop fantasy-Claire's personality more... Maybe another ToM piece about her...

fantasy-Claire: If this involves any thing 'post-quest' related, I'm going to smack you.

Writer: I'll try to do something funny, ok? I'm going for at least slightly humorous.

fantasy-Claire: Fine... @#$ hack writer can't come up with good characterization ideas...

Writer: I heard that!

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:38 pm 

I didn't do much to Jess/Jackie-sure, she's a ShadowJack instead of a shapeshifter, because I remembered a cool obscure description from Tunnels and Trolls. But personality seems to be about the same. And she enjoys teasing Zeroks far too much. It's lucky for him she likes him, or she'd make his life a living hell. And she's just about my favorite character in either game.

Lady Emily/Chicgeek is fun. She gets to indulge a love of fighting, and by doing cool swashbuckler stuff instead of just being an out and out brawler. Who doesn't want to pick up a rapier after watching the Princess Bride, or the Three Musketeers? And I have an abiding love for Cyrano...
Not a very complicated character, but fun. And yes, after Michael put her in a virtual reality world that time as 'Lady Viktor', I wanted to sort of revive the character.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:10 pm 

Fantasy/Science differences?

Well, David and Sir David are different in a few small ways. They're both still good-natured and kindly, but Sir David is a great deal more worldy than his science-affiliated counterpart. This was intentional: David in the main game is still technically supposed to be, you know, brain-damaged after the whole thing between Zobot, Narbon, and Begins. But something like that wouldn't have occurred in the fantasy world. They're both hero-wannabes, but while David tends to be more of an "Unlikely" sort of hero (akin to Guybrush Threepwood, Lester the Unlikely, and Rasputin of Psychonauts fame) Sir David is a great deal more competent (which isn't to say anything negative about Rasputin). The only real thing that Sir David doesn't have going for him is that he doesn't seem quite that talented with magic, if previous experience has indicated anything. Also, for a paladin he's surprisingly dishonest.

Michael and Sarcastic's counterparts in the fantasy game are considerably different than themselves, for different reasons. I wanted to work Sarcastic in, but couldn't think of an appropriate way to put her there. Making her an adventurer of some type didn't quite seem to fit, since Sarcastic's big thing in the "main game" is that she's ostensibly a normal girl with one or two small quirks in a sea of Mad individuals. But making her a peasent girl or something like that didn't quite fit either. Originally I was going to end the Fantasy Side-Story by having Sarcastic get called on by a teacher in class, and get rebuked for not listening... and it would turn out the whole time in class she's been writing a story in her notebook, and it was actually the fantasy story. But with the sudden appearance of main-game David in the fantasy world, I've pretty much thrown that idea away. To be fair, people were getting pretty enthusiastic about it anyway, and it's kinda grown beyond the point where I could claim "It was just a story all along!" and get away with it. We crossed that line the second Claire put a Tales of Madness piece up about her fantasy character. Of course, I'm not complaining, just that I thought the idea of Sarcastic writing the story was kinda neat. It also explained why she isn't a main character of any sort in it: She's the sort to want to avoid writing herself into her story if possible, but she miiight just think she can get away with writing herself in as a support character.

Michael and Mikael are... well, I can't really go into that much right now. They're different, as most people can already tell. The only thing I can really say is the same about the two characters is a fledgling friendship with Frederic.

Lady Draza and Lady Drezebel are more or less the same character, in a sense. Lady Draza is what Drezebel would be in a world without fangirls (TM),... a somewhat scheming, conniving femme fatal who would really really REALLY do the world a favor if she took up a hobby.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm 

Hah! Have I ever mentioned how much I adore the spontaneous mini-memes that crop up here? And I so adore character details...

Well, fair is fair... I wrote up a whole bit, but it ended up being so long and meandering I had to move it over into the Notes so as not to clutter up over here. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 pm 

Attrius vs. Thaddeus

When making my fantasy-alternate there were a couple of things I kept in mind. (My ideas on how the universe deals with the Guy family(: Basically in universes that have enough differences the Guy family doesn't exist. But I still wanted him to be basically similar to Thad. So Attrius became a werewolf.

Being a werewolf takes both of Thaddeus' hereditary statuses and transfers their effects to some thing he picked up along the road of his life. Attrius has had a different life. Both of his parents died-his mother when he was young and his father more recently. Thaddeus had his hidden power kept from him since his youth through mental conditioning. Attrius had a physical restriction.

Attrius is different from Thaddeus a whoooole lot though. Thaddeus is selfish for the most part, though that is changing a little, but he does things because they keep him alive or will keep him alive in the future. Attrius is more selfless and more emotional. He does things out of honor or because he has an emotional stake in it. (Thaddeus never randomly beats the stuffing out of people when he has a hangover.)

Attrius is also a little less serious than Thad. (You'll see more of this towards the new moon.) This comes from not being trained to fight from birth. The other side effect of that is: Thad vs. Attrius=Attrius shaped pile of bones. Attrius has natural instincts and physicallity where Thad trained and only recently gained superhuman power.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 pm 

You touched on something there I wanted to mention- after a certain amount of differences, the characters stop being the characters. You can *transpose* them into a new universe, or even an established universe (I like to imagine them in the Sandman universe, for one) but you have to sort of... just fit their backstory in.

Like music. You can take a tune and shift the words, and the speed, and the tone... but unless you hit the same notes more or less, it's not the same song. On the flip side, you can flip out a dirge or a jig however you like.

...I'm getting sentimental. Bed time!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:25 am 

More like siblings, perhaps? Two people who share at least some backstory, but however much they have in common, they aren't the same person.
And I find it both scary and plausible that no one really catches on that Andrew's insane-since the people he's surrounded with are Mad. His cousin has given up on trying to get him to just grow a new hand already. She suspects he'd find a 'real' hand just as much of a reminder of whatever happened, and that, no matter how identical, he'd see it as a Addam's family Thing-useful, but a separate entity.
And on an unrelated note-the three runes Zeroks mentioned-Asimov's three rules of robotics, perchance?

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 am 

Andrew likes his metal hand(s he collects extras) as a reminder of what happens when he lets himself be overwhelmed. Any replacement hand would feel weird, so at least this way he can;t destroy his hand *again*.
Which just shows that, if nothing else, *he* is very self-aware about his... problems. Luckily, he does have a very good psychiatrist, and some herbal drops from hsi mother if he starts hallucinating again. (XD)

Hah! Bang on the nose. Borrowed from the fact that Discworld seems to use a mild variant, I thought it would make sense for a cruder version to be available for golems.

A *single* rune is capable of communicating layers and layers of meaning. The more runes, the more complex the commands-and the easier to screw up. An average well made golem is constructed with 3-5 runes. Mind you, if Zeroks makes one, he uses upwards of fifty minimum...
By the way, I'm spending the weekend apartment-sitting for my big sister. It's pretty nice, and her big fluffy cat sleeps with me, but it means my extended family are taking the opportunity to make me do thins with them. So if my posting seems a little slow, you know why.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:45 pm 

Hmm...does anyone have anything they wanna do before the night is over, or do we wanna move on?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:59 pm 

I'm fine with skipping to tomorrow morning if everyone else is.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:12 pm 

Sounds good. Unless anyone raises an objection, I'll post up the timeskip tonight then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:21 pm 

I don't have any problem with a timeskip.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:28 pm 

Sorry I haven't posted much on the Alchemy wars lately. I'll have a post up sometime tonight after my interview.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:33 pm 

It's cool- I've been pretty lax. Just been stressed about collage and other stuff, so I figure it's best not to press myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:38 am 
Heh heh heh.

I'm ready again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:11 am 

Regarding my most recent post:

I guess that David Prime and Sir David are getting along pretty well... much to Lady Draza's chagrin.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am 

Hah! I can see *most* Davids- exept Davide Prime and Negative David, getting along well. but Andrews...

....roughly siblingish. Blame the loose family imprinting of the Tinker genetics, I guess.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next