Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Oi... sorry about not posting much recently.

I've been really busy behind the scenes in the main game. Not to mention making those really long posts.

Woof... I don't know when I'll next get around to posting. This is why I took a break from running the fantasy game to begin with. I knew this would come.

Just consider Sir David to be a temporary character, like in a lot of RPGs... really high level compared to your group, and playable, but doesn't join the cast on a permanent basis and leaves after a while. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they join fully waaay later in the game, though.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:52 pm 
New Madsci

Hi! This is just to introduce myself to everyone else. My name in the sane world is Mike & I just happen to be Lady ChicGeek's fairer half 8)

Uh dear, put that blaster down - it was only a joke, I swear!

Anyway, it's great to be here. I'm only participating in the Alchemy Wars for now, but I might apply to be Mad later if I see that I can keep up with y'all.

Then I could do some cruisin' too!

-----J. Buffet, troubadour extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 pm 

Excellent to have you with us. :D
Sorry for the slow start- I'm still assembling the next post. It'll happen... I swear! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:42 am 

Ok, I'm jump-starting the game a bit.

And Mikael is a bit of a stinker, isn't he?

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 pm 

Okay, I'm going to try and resume this for a little while, with a decent idea of where to take it. It'll be slow, but I want to at least get it to a proper stopping point before the Holloween Party. Post pending today, or tommorow- expect it to be slow comming... but it will arrive, I promise you.

On a related note, I've been playing DM with the same group of my two friends for the last three or so years, though most of high school. Every Saturday, schedules pending. And tomorrow is likely going to be our last regular session.
With luck, we'll game again. But it;s still unsure when.
A moment of silence, then, for three years of good times, rule bending, and high adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:07 am 
Heh heh heh.

<silence>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 am 
Heh heh heh.

Today's MSW: Jane debates whether to start the friendship that she's inevitably going to wind up in.... maybe.
It depends on what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:52 am 

I can see this Jane clicking with Jackie-although the sneaky alchemist/(?) and the swashbuckler befriending each other is fun to think about.
Hmm...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:56 pm 

IF anyone is wondering... Chic and I agreed we needed a way to consolidate the group, and move on to the Dungeon quickly. We discussed various methods, but most came off as contrived... or slow.

Ergo, we reached a balanced, and I agreed to execute it.
I regret nothing! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:47 am 

Ah, the dreaded triple cranium Catrol Vancliechin! What adventure is complete without it?
Nothing! I regret nothing! :D

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:38 pm 
New Madsci

Guys, I apologize for glossing over any introductions that are made - I just did that in the interests of saving time. If there was anything that you want said, perhaps some misleading disinformation :twisted:, PM me and I'll edit my post.

Then I could do some cruisin' too!

-----J. Buffet, troubadour extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 pm 

Ehhh... I figure if we assume there was a basic 'My name is 'X'' bare bones introduction, it seems acceptable. Not much else to say, after you've been bowled over by a three headed monkey into a pit. :3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 am 

Strangely enough, I love playing Mikael. He's just fun to write for. Taren is a close second, although without the aura of naivete that David has, he's really just another goody-goodie, but hopefully I'll be able to add more depth to him when he meets with the group again.

nZobot: Yeah, like his fear of spiders.

"Taren": Ssss! Quit with that!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:34 pm 

Mikael is highly entertaining... of course, I really like the extent to which he freaks out fantasy-Claire. I don't get to write the Claires being nervous a lot, so it's quite fun.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:16 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Here's the reference Jane thinks the whole thing is referring to:

In Ancient Egyptian mythology, a person's soul would be judged after death. Egyptian illustrations show this as the person's heart (soul) being weighed against a feather, representing truth. If the scales didn't balance, a horrible monster would consume the soul.

Of course, as things stand, the feather Jane just used is about as far from 'Truth' as it gets! This will be interesting...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:12 am 

Close! Very cose! But I'm drawing on two jokes at once, here.

PS: By the way, a prize to whoever gets this- It's not an arcane refference for people with our set of interests, and it follows the trend of gods for the Fantasy Universe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:29 pm 
Heh heh heh.

How is a Hitchhiker's-Guide-to-the-Galaxy ref...?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:40 pm 

Jane, I do believe you've hit the nail on the head with the hitch hikers reference. He's even carrying a towel!
I'll go a bit further-Tinker said the heart looked like brass, but was unusually heavy. Gold is exceedingly heavy-perhaps it's made of gold, not brass. Maybe coated with brass?
I still think when the scale is balanced, the doors will open.
And if gold doesn't do the trick-I suggest plain old dirt. After all, what Arthur wanted was to be able to come home, right? So...dirt. Or Earth.

EDIT: I'm changing my mind. I think the statue wants a perfect cup of tea.
And great job, Jane! It's funny, I just reread most of those a few months back, and I still didn't get the Hitch Hikers reference!
The feather/heart/scale, yes. Hmm...maybe we should pluck one of Fredric's feathers? :)

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:06 pm 

Bingo! Ladies and Gentlemen, I can now inform you that you are within...
'The Temple of the Earthman!' The forgotten temple dedicated to the God of Confusion, Towels, Travelers (lost), Quests (you didnd;t meant to pick up), Tea, and Love. His priests mostly wore terrycloth robes and drank tea, and tried really hard to avoid going on big scary quests and usually failed. It is rumored they knew he secrets of flight.

Sadly while all the priests were away getting lost, the temple sank into the earth. Pity, that. It was a rather nice temple, all said.

Without giving anything away, Ill say all of the guesses just put forth are really very sensible, and probably worth a shot. XD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 pm 

Intriguing! I'll be posting tomorrow...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 am 
Heh heh heh.

What?! Hast the fantasy tale beeneth forgotten?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:21 pm 

Err, I haven't forgotten it, but I haven't really been active since most of my characters aren't directly involved in it right now... eh heh... Mikael COULD be doing stuff, but he's more of the "Watch and wait" type of person.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm 

It has been brought up that this thread should be set aside for now, and replaced with another AU thread- possibly the popular Mad Sci High verse. Between one thing and another, I haven;t been as attentive towards this game as I said I would be... and the general conscientious when it has been brought up in Chat is that maybe it would be for the best.

What does everyone think?
And... I'm really sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:58 pm 

You're busy, and it has died down a bit... I don't really want to, but it does make sense to set this thread aside for now. (as long as we get to come back at some point) *hugs Tinker* Don't feel bad- we understand.

As far as another thread goes, MSH would be lots of fun. Or maybe a Nega-verse thread?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:02 pm 

*Hugs*
Hey, life has this annoying habit of getting in the way-don't be sorry!
I have enjoyed the mad alchemy wars. Do we continue? Well, I think if you want to run it, and if there's a way for any of the new players to join in if they'd like, then yes, keep it going.
If you don't have the time or energy right now, I'd say bring it to a good stopping place, so it can be picked up later.
But I'd say no new side threads until at least january, whatever happens. Everyone is so busy this month.
And whatever happens to Mad Alchemy. I think I'd vote no new side story until pirate is over, too. Having two side threads at one is a bit much, for the posters and the people running them. Perhaps if we are only concentrating on one side story, and main game, at a time, all of us will have more time and attention to devote to it.
Anyway-I want to thank you and Zobot for all your hard work in Alchemy. It's been a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing it again, whether now or at a future date.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:56 pm 

Bet on it!

In one way, shape, or form, The Mad Alchemy Wars will return, even if we end it now. Next time, It'll be even better than before. I swear it!

*Grins*

As for what's going on with this thread, I'd say bring it to a stopping point and then put it on hold. I parrot Chic's opinion of starting up the Pirate Thread until it's finished. I have a much better idea of where it's going than I ever did the fantasy game, and it has a more limited storyline, which we're almost 1/3rd of the way through.

For those who are interested, the pirate game has chapter denotations:

1) Two Monkey-Eagle Talisman Halves do not make a Whole
2) Steamy Greetings from Ahi Island
3) The Bluelight Hoard

Anyways, enough of my sales pitch! Whatever everyone else agrees on is good with me.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 pm 

Thanks, guys. I think I can at least get us to the end of the dungeon for now, and then we can put it to rest for a while. Zobot and I have been talking about co-running the game whenever we end up resuming it- which might be a while, since I'm vying for the next chapter.

Thanks for your support, though. For better or for worst, the stress will be off after January 5th.... *whimper*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:32 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Personally, I would keep the Mad Alchemy Wars going until there was a nice cliffhanger to run it over (Threed, anyone?), mark it TO BE CONTINUED, and put it on hold. Then, we can come back to it later some time.

As for a new side story... what about an alternate-Victorian game?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:54 pm 

Victorian and negaverse both sound fun, but I still vote for finishing pirate before we start another. Just so things don't get overwhelming, and we can concentrate on the one we've chosen, and have fun.
Alchemy has been a blast-thanks again, Zobot and Tinker! Whatever point Tinker wants to get us to is okay by me, be it conclusion or cliffhanger.
And the idea of a Zobot/Tinker co-run thread in the future has me squeeing loudly.
Again, got my fingers crossed for you, Tinker!

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:34 pm 

Well, I'm not sure if this is going to end temporarily anymore... people seem to like it enough to not see it die.

Regardless, for the moment, I'm back, baby.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next