Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:32 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

I've played DnD back since I was 5, (I grew up in a gamer family, leave me alone) and thus have played 2nd Edition all the way through to 4th edition. I've also played Exalted (Absolutely MAGNIFICENT game with an excellent display of world creation and very nontraditional elements to the story. Pretty rules light, though) and Shadowrun, as well as D20 Modern, Oriental Adventures, Call of Cthulhu, Champions, BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouths, an old Anime RPG) and one of the old Star Wars roleplaying games. I actually played Vampire once with a pick-up group, but ended up getting thrown out of the group after one session for killing an NPC I suspected was a vampire, who actually was. (Don't ask, it's a long and complicated story)

So yeah, long history of those sorts of things.

chicgeek wrote:
Yeah, my other half and kid are Neverwinter Nights/Baulder's Gate junkies-yes, it WILL eat your life! Especially if you do like they do and keep trying all the different character classes/races/variables...
And I haven't had a gaming group for a long time....sigh. Me & the other half would take turns running campaigns for each other, and slowly got too busy for even that. We may have to get back to that. I used to play in an online forum for T & T and Gamma World, but I quit having the time, and so did a lot of the others, apparently. Shame, it was mucho fun.
He did a vampire LARP briefly, playing a human vampire hunter named "Bubba" Van Helsing. Brewed and drank garlic beer to belch at the vamps, had a knife of petrified wood, a gun that shot frozen needles of holy water-yeah, a redneck descendant of the infamous Van Helsing. Fun while it lasted.

Aw, that sucks. If it makes you feel any better, this thing we're doing is heavily inspired by DnD....

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:39 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Professor Zobot wrote:
I've played DnD back since I was 5, (I grew up in a gamer family, leave me alone)

Man i started around 10ish. Most of my family on my dad side is a gamer one form or another.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:45 pm 

DnD 3.5 *every* Sataurday, with a every other week switch on DMing. Currently my party is on a quest to stop a being from sucking teh lifeforce from the very multiverse it's self. Boyah.

And yeas, Andrew is a Jagerkinder. It's too big a part of his families history to leave out... if the DM requests it, then they might be refereed to as 'Goblins' or something in this world... at least as an insult, anyways.
Basically it means he has an extra Bite attack he can use, and something on par with a Half-Orc for strength and what not.
Frederik is a Magical Beast, natch, and is currently only able to maintain a Humanoid form twice a day, for two hours at a time. He has the same attack power as a Rabbit, minus the use of weapons and spell casting abilities, can still talk (but won;t in public for obvious reasons), and he is *not* a familiar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:53 pm 

Meh, there's no problem with him being a Jaegerkin... it just means that if this were an actual game of DnD I'd have to come up with a detailed history for how they came into being. (Since the Heterodynes aren't in this world/are, but not as the same sort of people they were in other worlds.)

Yeah, this world setting is... unique, in a certain way. You'll all find out how eventually.

The Writer: Incidentally, Sarcastic?

Sarcastic: *Looks up from pouting* Yeah?

The Writer: You're getting into the game.

Sarcastic: REALLY? *Looks overjoyed*

The Writer: Yup, but only as a supporting cast character. Your position in this new world is as "Sarcastyx", the Lady of the Dead, a greater god in this campaign setting.

Sarcastic: *Hugs the Writer* I LOVE IT! THANK YOU!

The Writer:
Err, how are you hugging an indeterminate entity with no preestablished mass or physical form? Well, anyways, if any of the cast dies (And that *IS* a possibility in this setting, by the way) They'll have to meet up with you, and you get to deal with them. The good news is that death isn't necessarily permanent for those unfortunate characters. The even BETTER news for you is that you get a greater artifact. *Hands her a very large scythe*

Sarcastic: YEEEE! I'll start picking out an outfit!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:12 pm 

I just figure they were made by some mad Alchemist... I assume Andrew has mostly teh same backstory in his familly...
*mostly*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 pm 
Heh heh heh.

In case you're wondering, Jane doesn't actually have any faith in humanity. Though she does have plenty of cunning and cynicism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 am 

A few more thoughts on fantasy-Claire (as I will now call her, because Claire^ just looks weird):

She isn't as strong as Claire, although she's still a lot stronger than a normal human. Between the two of them, fantasy-Claire is the better fighter, mostly because she has a lot more practice. That doesn't necessarily mean she would win in a fight between the two of them, but she would have the advantage, despite being weaker. Fantasy-Claire is also (at the moment) slightly faster.

She isn't immune to poisons, drugs, etc. but they tend not to affect her as strongly- she could still be poisoned, but it would take a pretty large amount of it.

She's slightly more resistant to injuries like burns and concussions than a normal person.She can also lose more blood and hold her breath longer without blacking out and things like that, but not a lot. An unenhanced, fairly strong person could probably still knock her out, but they'd need a real weapon.

If she *is* poisoned, drugged, injured, sick, or freezing, her metabolism will speed up until either she runs out of energy or the condition is reversed. Thus, if she's tired or injured or something, her first tendency will be to eat something. If it's morning, and she isn't really awake yet, this can cause problems. This can also cause problems if she's wounded in the middle of a battle, because more serious injuries will still take a few days to heal, and running out of energy in the middle of a battle isn't good. As a side note, this means that poisons can have the same effect on her as either tranquilizers or stimulants, depending on how much she's eaten recently. Her standard metabolism is also slightly faster than normal, which usually just serves to make her fidget a lot. (or sometimes attack random people)

She only knows how to make a few useful substances with alchemy, and the supplies from the alchemists tend to cost a lot, so she doesn't use them that often. Usually.

She's slightly magic-resistant, but not extremely. It's certainly not enough to count on- it would probably only give her a few extra seconds awake if someone cast a sleep spell, for example. She's also very poor at fighting coercive spells, especially because they tend to make her panic.

She was created at this age, and hasn't gotten any older. She generally keeps this a secret, although someone in her early twenties mentioning that she last saw someone at least twenty years ago or fought in such-and-such of a war can sometimes tip people off. She also doesn't seem to get scar tissue. She's been a mercenary for a long time, though, and the only reason she hasn't been killed yet is that she's good at what she does. She isn't ancient, though- probably somewhere between 50 and 100.

She tends to be very bad at sitting still for long periods of time, diplomacy, and anything formal. She also gets really unhappy if she goes more than 24 hours without fighting something, which you can probably guess the outcome of. Weirdly enough, someone still managed to teach her how to read at some point, as well as very small amounts of wizardry- she can't cast any, but she can recognize some of it, especially in spellbooks.

She's got decent skills as a rouge, but nothing *really* impressive. It's enough to get her out of most jails (without destroying them), get her a bit of extra money here and there, and sneak around a bit, although she'd be outclassed by a professional. She probably *could* earn a living as a thief, but only if she skipped town every once and a while.

She is smart, although tends to do poorly with long-term planning. In a similar vein, she's good at combat tactics, but not so good with the overall strategy. Of course, no sane commander would giver her charge of even a small squad, but one might ask her for her opinion on a particular combat situation.

I think I might be getting too much into this side-story... but it's very amusing. And I think I'll just jot down a few ideas, and then I get all of this stuff. Most of it comes from her being created for combat, and she got a lot of training in addition to how she was put together. And I'm just having a lot of fun figuring out how Claire would translate to a fantasy world. (I didn't want to mirror her exactly, but I think this works.)

I don't think she's too overpowered- all the other characters are good fighters, too, and she'll probably muck up most things besides fighting, so I think it works out.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:30 am 

Nah, don't worry about it. I like that people are getting into their characters. This level of detail is nice. And it's not too overpowered. No more than usual for around here, anyway.

Although I DO worry that this might snowball...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:08 pm 

Okay, I'm having a really hard time working up a post... I ended up losing track yesterday, and I'm tured from doing chores. And by teh time I finish writing a post for the Mad Sci Wars, I may not actiually be able to speak *english*.

So... yeah. If I manage to post, It will be kinda... yeah. Don;t expect a masterpeice. And I kinda wish I had stuck to one @#$! character...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:42 pm 

Sarcastyx: Well, if you wanted, you could kill one of them off. Eh, I'm just kidding. It'd be too traumatic and painful, even though there IS that contingency I offer to give people a chance to get back to life...

Seriously though, Tinker. Get some rest if that's what you need. We'd rather wait on you and have you bright eyed and bushy tailed (Not literally) than have a tired Tinker that feels like crap.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 pm 

Thanks, Z. I'll just get some rest... to top it all off, either I 8really* need rest, or I need *glasses*. Bleh.
At any rate, I finally got to make a cheap joke in teh main game I've wanted to do for a while... heh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 am 

Atrius isn't going to acknowledge the voice in his head for a while. Standard: the one who knows about imminent apocalypse won't do anything about it, but that's just how he is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am 

Next post will be up soon. I keep waiting for someone else to post.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:03 am 
Heh heh heh.

Moment of comedy: Jane can cook up slow-acting, precisely timed sedatives... but not simple aspirin. Go figure, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 pm 

Andrew can probably summon Asprin- or at least Willow Bark, but of course he won;t remember that unless someone asks him. Basically he has two typse of spells: Little, tiny, very usefull spells... or Biog Huge Holy Heck Spells.

And Frderik: Smart enough to figure out David's a Paladin and taking advantage of his honor, or just figuring that he;s a decent enough guy that he won't stab his Da in the back? We may never know....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 am 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
And Frederik: Smart enough to figure out David's a Paladin and taking advantage of his honor, or just figuring that he;s a decent enough guy that he won't stab his Da in the back? We may never know....

To be fair, it's possible that it's a mix of both.

EDIT: There's more I wanted to add to this post but didn't for sake of time. Alt-David's a bit of a smooth talker when he wants to be. Someone put ranks in Diplomacy...

There's more to his odd little voice trick that I haven't mentioned, obviously.

And for the reference, when he said "Dragon's lair" he meant it quite literally. There are plenty of legends regarding this particular mountainous region that speak of a fearsome black wyrm that has lived within it for hundreds of years, occasionally emerging to pillage human settlements nearby and carry off and devour whatever looked appetizing to it. Thankfully it seems that in the past 40 or so years the Dragon has vanished, or at the very least grown dormant, although the truth of the matter is still unknown...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 am 

Been out of it recently, that is the reason why I have not really posted yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am 
Heh heh heh.

Fantasy Jane's laugh is here!

Also:

Quote:
Normally, Jane let her enemies think they had a chance.

Now, they actually had one.

I think that's my new favorite one-liner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm 

Yes, I quite like it too, Jane!

And here we get the first decision... to go up or to go down? You might not get a chance to do both, so pick carefully...

And Fantasy David is really more of a diplomat than the regular flavor of David is. Among other things...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:48 pm 
Heh heh heh.

In case it's not obvious about the whisper thing, Jane loves doing stuff like that. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 pm 

Yet another webcomic link! I've been in a strange mood lately, so I've been reading a ton of them.

This time around I'm mentioning an oldie, but one that I didn't know about until yesterday... it's a fantasy-ish webcomic entitled "A Modest Destiny." An amusing blend of humor and drama, basically your standard fare for webcomickery. But what really shines about this strip is the plot. It's interesting and amusing, with many twists and turns that keep you guessing about the story and it's inhabitants. Whenever you think you know the full score about a character, you might end up being surprised...

The creator of the comic is pretty clever, even posing a very original idea for how to deal with vampires. Granted, I don't know if it'd work or not, but it's pretty funny.

All this and a mad scientist in a supporting role. Check it out. You might like it.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 pm 

GyaH! My brain!
+... I went to check it out... and I diddn't realize that I had to go to teh *archives* to find the beginning of the whole story instead of just hitting 'first'. Imagine trying to start in Harry Potter with teh second to last book...
My brain... anyways, it looks promising!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:09 am 

A new post will be up tomorrow. I gotta study for a test today and then play DnD later tonight with my usual gaming group.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm 

ARRGH! I know what I want to say but I couldn't seem to find any way to say it properly!

Grr... I hate feeling burned out.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:59 am 

Regarding my most recent post: I've decided to take this bit in a bit of a different direction than what I was originally planning on doing. Sorry if I may have mislead anyone... I wasn't really sure how to plan out a whole dungeon crawl on the fly (Which is what I had been attempting to do) and ultimately I decided to cheat a bit.

Anyway, since I don't really have much of a better place to put it, here's some general information about the world setting:

The game has started out on the Western Continent, generally assumed by it's inhabitants to be the sole bastion of civilization in a more or less unexplored world. Two other known landmasses, the southern continent and the eastern continent, exist as well, but are largely unsettled by "civilized folk" save for a few small colonies, and thus very little is known about them save for a few curiosities.

Regarding the Mostly-Lost kingdom of Ashi: Once one of the greater powers on the Western Continent, Ashi made a great name for itself as a forerunner of applied magical and scientific knowledge, and several generations of intelligent leadership and new inventions (such as the very first golems) ensured that they were major players militarily and politically despite controlling only a small portion of the continent itself. Citizens of Ashi enjoyed many conviences that other nations hadn't necessarily developed yet, such as houses provided with magical light and automated farming machines, among other things. One of the unique things about the kingdom that helped it prosper was a powerful and seemingly natural source of magical energy discovered beneath the capitol city itself that was soon integrated directly into the capitol. Magic-using people within the capitol city could access it's powers and experienced a dramatic increase in the potency and flexibility of their spells while standing within a certain range, and all the buildings and devices in the capitol were powered by this resource, eventually dubbed "The Wellspring" until a certain king decided to try and experiment on it and made the entire kingdom vanish.

For the past 100 years the kingdom itself has had no set line of succession or ruling family dynasty. 100 years ago the king at the time was blessed with quadruplets, which caused a bit of a problem with determining succession. Each of the four children was arguably born on the same day and thus could and likely would make a claim for the throne. The king at the time was smart enough to know that a succession war would likely tear the country apart, and as such decided to set up a system where all four children had the chance to rule. Once the four princes had reached the age of 20 they had each been led to establish their own noble household within the kingdom, and each took on the title of Baron, governing portions of the land and cooperating with each other grudgingly. And before the old king died, he proclaimed that whichever of his sons the people of the land preferred would be king for 5 turns of the seasons, upon which the people would appoint representatives and once more decide amongst themselves which of the 4 would again rule.

Thus was the early form of Ashi's government formed. Every 5 years people selected from each region to represent it would gather at the capitol and vote between 4 patrons, one from each of the 4 noble houses, would rule as king for the next 5 years. This led to a system where each house attempted to curry the people's favor as much as possible, in their own ways. Any king who refused to abdicate the throne at the end of their reign would make an enemy of the other 3 houses and risk outright war. And for the most part, the system worked, up until the entire nation vanished. The four noble houses were named the Vanderhoffs, the Zobovs, the Tiktoffens, and the Unferths. When the kingdom disappeared, two of the four houses completely vanished with them, leaving only a few members of the Vanderhoffs (the current ruling house) and the Zobevs behind. As 5 years have been drawing to a close, it is commonly thought among the remaining 300ish citizens of the nation that Baron Richard Zobev is going to become the next king by popular vote, since it was the Vanderhoff's last king who was responsible for the recent fall. Naturally, the Vanderhoffs aren't very happy about that...

Regarding the Kingdom of Xyon:
One of the largest nations on the western continent, Xyon is much more of a traditional fantasy kingdom. There are many established noble houses and a strong monarchy. The kingdom itself is rather disorganized and fraught with internal affairs such as banditry, roving monsters, and the occasional evil overlord trying to conquer everything. Adventurers are common here due to the fact that the military and government doesn't have the power to possibly deal with every threat in the region. This is likely the kingdom from which most of the group would be likely to hail from, although that's not always necessarily true.

More will come when I feel like documenting it.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:02 am 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

About the alchemist thing...

Alchemists (depending on the setting) believe the world is made up of different elements. Some have the periodic table, others just have fire, wind, water, and earth. Human beings are included in this system, which is where Ivan is pulling the following ideas from.

1. The party feels drunk, not because anyone drank, but because they went swimming in a giant elemental.

2. Excess element is like excess fat: the body likes having extra energy and won't loose it easily.

3. One of the reasons for this might be that they can charge this elemental energy into an attack, kind of like fire energy into a fireball.

Ivan, however, is not a channeler. He was a cutter on the side of the army fighting the divine channelers and their allies. Of course, alchemists and a few "alternate" channelers were at the med camp with him so he knows a few things. For example, Necromancers usually have a life drain spell or some kind. With some alchemic knowledge, this can be modified into a more specific energy drain spell.

Yes, Amino can theoretically drain everyone's hangover away. But in a five element system, the human body already contains some alcohol energy. If an outside force tries to drain it, the body may try to compensate for it using its reserve energy. In a healthy body, all elements are balanced, neither diarhhea or constipation. A lack of alcohol energy may mean problems later. A better way might be to drain the lizard men of the other four elements and use the energy to supercharge the party into a state of "extreme health."

Or, more reasonably, the elements can be refined from normal substances and taken as vitamins until they balance. But again, Ivan needs an alchemist to compare notes with. Left to his own devices, he'd probably pull a sorceror's apprentice and "tag" people for their excess energy once the attack drained him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am 

Hmm... Jing? You know you continually have been impressing me.

I hope you stick around!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:04 pm 

Just to let you know, my internet is on the fritz and I am sick now. So I won't be posting for a while. Just pretend Locke goes with any ideas the group forms for now and is willing to help out. *Wasted too much energy typing, going back to bed*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:14 pm 

It's ok. Don't worry... we'll be waiting for you when you get back, Hawkwolf.

Take all the time you need.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:19 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Aaand we have motion again! How are the group going to get out of this?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next