Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thy Table of Unhinged Alkemie (OOC Thread for Sidestory 3)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:26 am 
Established Mad Scientist

It all comes down to night vision.

We're fighting in a dark canyon cave, which means some of us are fighting blind, if at all. Claire is part cat, so she may have night vision. The lizards may have night vision, but why farm phosphorescent moss if you can see in the dark? My best answer is that the raider/warrior caste needs eyes adjusted to the surface. Which could mean the best fighters don't have darkvision. Meanwhile, jaegers have enhanced senses, so Andrew and Lady Viktor might be able to navigate.

But anyone who has night vision has it going haywire from the brief flashes of firelight.

The three lizards might be fine as long as one is holding a fireball while the other two aim and throw. Jane can move unseen between the brief flashes of light, and now that she's broken their rhythm, they're starting to feel the disadvantage of their attack. Meanwhile we're the gem on a small ring of land, with lizards coming up both sides of the band. Our best chance is to charge down one side of the band and only fight half the lizards. I vote for the half closest to helping Jane, even if she'll have finished by the time we arrive.

Claire has claws and possibly night vision, so she leads. David is taller than Claire, and so are the lizardmen. He swings high and she hits low. Atrius is just behind David, taking blind shots at the other side of the valley. It may not hit anything, but is should slow them down. Amino and Ingrid are just behind Atrius. Amino could use her pies to share Atrius' job, but have you ever ignored a loud alarm clock only to be awakened by the smell of bacon? Baked goods and sleeping dragons could be a risky combination. Andrew also prefers to throw things, but he also has a better chance of hitting things in the dark. He and Lady Viktor form the rear guard, in case we're not fast enough.

Jane is probably going to sneak off somewhere and Rand is probably going to go after Jane. I can't predict their actions well enough to place them, and I've already rejected the idea of them holding off the lizards coming from the other side. Meanwhile Ivan's torch provides a nifty way to make it look like the party is going in a different direction. Ivan could take it up the elevator, but if I can get his inner chicken under control, he may hand it off to Frederic.

Frederic can fly.

If you don't immediately get that, Frederic can hold the torch while flying off the edge of a cliff. Any lizardmen charging to attack him fall to their deaths. Seeing the torch from around the curve of the canyon, this can be quite an effective trick, and I leave it to Frederic's tactical genius to make the most of it.

Ivan can't see in the dark, despite performing the inevitable late night war medicine. Calling for an oil lamp was usually worth the risk, since he could assess vital signs while waiting. He also has no weapons at the moment. If he were in the party, it would be somewhere between Claire and David. He can make sure that the wounded lizards are dead so Claire and David can focus on charging through. He can orient himself based on the smell of blood, and for sharp tools merely break a clawed lizard's fingers off.

We're waiting on Locke to continue anyway, so he can be the one who comes up the with plan and barks the orders. He's also free to come up with his own plan, or use any part of this one. Meanwhile, I'm waiting on Zobot's verdict on who has night vision.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Dang...that's a great plan. Impressive.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:29 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Ugh sorry for the hold up. Still recovering and I am having issues with the internet at home. Only time I can get online is if I am NOT at home or work and that leaves only school. If we had a rope, I can come up with an interesting plan. May not be the best or wisest but it would be fun.

I am still recovering. In the coughing fit stage right now. And considering the circumstance Zobot, that is about as good of a plan we have unless someone can actually block the path behind us somehow either through blocking it or destroying a god portion of the walkway. That way there is only one way to get at us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:07 pm 

Good to have you back, Hawkwolf.

Ugh... I'll have posted in this game tomorrow. I'm entirely too tired and too feverish to do anything postish tonight.

*Goes off to sleep*

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 am 
Hyperkeeper

Understand: if we were using DnD stats here, Rand would be the guy with tons sunk into Strength. Though he's not stupid or anything. Now, I'm starting to wonder: If he's that good, then why did "she" (his client, whoever she is) mention-- OOF!!

Sorry, folks. SoItBegins has just been punched in the stomach by the plot. In the meantime until he recovers, I found a new site to randomly generate plot ideas. It's called Theyfightcrime.org.

Example

He's a notorious Republican messiah on the run. She's a time-travelling extravagant archaeologist with the power to bend men's minds.
They fight crime!

Doesn't it sound cool?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:34 am 

Ugh the internet at school is a pain also. I just tried posting but when I click post, it brough me to the page cannot be displayed page and I lost my post. Will try later. I will post today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am 

It does sound pretty cool, SiB.

Post will be up tonight if no one else posts. I wanted to give everyone a chance to do stuff if they wanted.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:26 am 

Sorry about that-I've had a brain block on what to do with Lady V. Post away!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:40 pm 

The black wind howls...

Before this is over, one of you... will die.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm 

If it is me, please don't make me into a zombie ok, There is too many things a zombie have to deal with then I am not prepared to handle :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:09 pm 

Oh, it's not a permanent position off the mortal coil.

Mostly I just wanted an excuse to bring Sarcastyx into play once or twice during this game.

Sarcastyx: Hiya!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:26 pm 

*eyes zobot wearily* Do I now have to watch my back now? I hate to idea of dying.

Well not really. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 am 

Thad's last post-interesting!
I know he's not sayin', and I'm just speculating...but I like the idea of a werewolf shephard.
Dang, that'd make a good kid's picture book. I could write that...hmm..hmm...It'd make a better cartoon, but still.
And now I'm flashing back to Animaniacs. Specifically, Dot's Poetry Corner.
"Mary had a little lamb...with mint jelly." :D

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:21 pm 

There'll be a post up for this tomorrow sometime. Just figured I'd let people know.

I'ma gonna go play Breath of Fire 4 now.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:52 am 
Hyperkeeper

Quote:
"...as if he hadn't been fully there without it."

Jane: Does this mean that you feel incomplete without your sword? Awwww....

(laughter from the girls)

The Author: That's quite enough of that, thank you.
Anyway, now that the story's awakened again, let's keep it going! Or get going. Who hasn't equipped yet?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:56 pm 

SoItBegins wrote:
Quote:
"...as if he hadn't been fully there without it."

Jane: Does this mean that you feel incomplete without your sword? Awwww....

(laughter from the girls)

Hey, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. When you're used to everything being a nail, it kinda helps to have a hammer.

SoItBegins wrote:
Anyway, now that the story's awakened again, let's keep it going! Or get going. Who hasn't equipped yet?

Tinker's characters, Amino's Characters, Hawkwolf, David-by-any-other-name, and I'm still trying to figure out how to drop the stealth bombshell without her going off on me."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:00 am 

Sir David: Well, there goes that secret. Still, it worked.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 am 

Heh I think I am getting a RP overload over at my side. (in like 7 different RP stories, some of them are major) So until I recover, I have to play a minor role for now. Posting now though.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:22 pm 

Dr. Amino? You're awesome. That was hilarious.

And I definitely want to see more of Dana Amino the Mildly Terrible. I hope she finds the plot soon... :D

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 pm 

Amino is awesome. 'Nuff said.

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:00 am 

That made my day. I am going to have to file that for the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 pm 

Thanks. That means a lot. *blushes profusely*

And don't worry. Dana Amino the Mildly Terrible will find the plot. Eventually. If the Plot Gremlins don't get her first.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm 

A new post will be up sometime tonight or tomorrow. I keep waiting to give Tinker or Jane or someone who hasn't posted much some time to update.

Oh crap... I keep forgetting to do the Dave Olsen thing in the main game, don't I? Well, I'll get on that once someone else posts there so I don't double post.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:41 pm 
Heh heh heh.

I've been meaning to post-- don't start without me!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:58 pm 
Heh heh heh.

OK, post is done. It looks as if Jane's story (her fate, even?) just took a tiny turn for the worse. What is this thing she's so fond of? Could it have great magical powers? Does it hold the key to strange and powerful things? Might it hold some significance known to Jane alone?

Jane: You don't know yet.

Well, no... but soon I'll figure it ou-- hey, what am I saying?! Cancel! Cancel!
*ahem* Find out soon when the truth is revealed in The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 am 

Yeah, I've always wondered about this... Would you guys say that my fight scenes are effective? It seems to me that I'm just writing things that I think would look cool but not describing them. I know that I'm the person who is most critical of myself though.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:07 pm 

Okay! Finally got a post in- I'm really sorry I let my posts in this game slide so hard, I just ended up getting tired during my chapter, and then the longer it had gone the more backlog filled up over here... bleh. Enough whimpering.

Anyways- post up now, and characters semi-active. Andrew's coat has effects that let him shrug off any attempts at affecting his spell-casting abilities- that is, maintaining his Concentration checks. It also has a lot of room on the inside, much as Andrew's coat pockets do.

Frederik's Claymore isn't really Magic, it's just big and sharp and being wielded by a being who can bench-press a pregnant pachyderm.

Andrew uses a lot of *very* low-level spells- the equivilant of a +1 to hit and so on. But the sort of thing he;s doing now is typical-turning string sharp, and then attacking with a few stacked bonuses. Technically he can also wield a rapier, only he just doesn't happen to have one at the moment...
Kind of a Sorcerer/Thief base, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 pm 

I want to formally apologize to SiB for what I just did. It wasn't particularly fair or right.

But I really, REALLY wanted to introduce Sarcastyx, and I DID say one of you was going to die... :twisted:

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 pm 

Meh, I've seen Dungeon Masters do worse.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:55 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Meh, I've seen Dungeon Masters do worse.

So true. Our group went on a mission after being forced to by a lawful evil priest. After-"Hey, you promised to set us free! Lawful evil keeps their word, right?"
LE rubs his hands together, laughes evily, and says to his minions-"All right, boys. Set them free." And 'freed' us by making us the next round of sacrifices.
My other half, who I'd just started dating, was our gm when I started playing d and d. He promised my character a pegasus egg if I'd tell him what the other players were plotting. I got the egg. Only to find the two headed ogre making an omlette shortly thereafter. "I didn't say you could keep it." Sigh. It did teach me to never trust the dm....

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next