Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:09 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

The Elevator slowed to a stop, resting for a moment before the doors opened, slowly.
With the way the elevator was designed, it was almost as if it was simply connected to the room, an interesting detail that was, sadly, probably completely lost on most of the party due to the sight before them.
It was, indeed, a Library. But a Library as, say, Willy Wonka might devise if Oscar Wilde kept sneaking in and messing with the blueprints, as built by Robbie Rotten. Shelves diddn't just line out- they swooped and curved, painted one by one to form a glittering rainbow around the books subtle blends from one color to the next- and if you looked around you could see the shelves becoming one big rainbow, nestling the books within. Here and there would be rolling ladder, or a comfortable chair and table should the urge to sit down and read come upon anyone.
There was light everywhere, because the ceiling was a great big glass dome, glowing with blue light.

Well... in.. patches, anyways.
Because although the group could see what it *usually* looked like, this was certainly where the damage was taking place. Grey, powdery, oily... *stuff* lay across the colorful place, hanging in tendrils over shelves, laying in puddles, and coating the glass ceiling above.

As they watched, the mass suddenly seemed to expand, draining the color away, dissolving the shelves- and just as suddenly, it was forced back. The damage was undone... but the ooze only *retreated*. If anything, it seemed to have gained an inch of ground after the repairs.

Student and Hook both closed their eyes, and then opened them at the same time- as if receiving some strange communication.

"He's here."

"Aye. Dead center, in the thick of the destruction." Hook drew his saber, and with a grinding of gears his robotic hand became what looked suspiciously like a blaster cannon.
Student just took out a small slate, like what a student would have used a long time ago, complete with a piece of chalk.

Xerox took a puff of his cigarette, biting down a wave of nausea.
"I would joke, but the stake is too high. So in lieu of my usual dry wit.. Let's Get Dangerous." he pushed up his sunglasses and drew his Staff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:33 am 

"'K!" I follow Prim, cheerfully pulling out a new mallet. This one's titanium, so I don't have to worry about breaking it too much. And I have 33% more dynamite this time! And we found Mister Tinker, so all we have to do now is kill stuff and rescue him. I can do that. And I'm sure everyone else is good at that sort of thing, too.

This library's *pretty.* And tidy. Although I guess that'd make sense for someone who's focus is literature. "Let's get the colors back for the library!"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:12 am 

Chic smiles-but grimly, and she summons the three clockwork dopplegangers. Jess summons her fists of flame, and her chimera claws somehow appear to glisten with poison, too. She flexes them dangerously.
"Okay, people-remember, Em here has regeneration, if you touch her. And I haven't had cause to use it much, but my specs here let me see through walls. And Andrew's over there!" She points, then takes off at a run. Her cat burglar running lets her go up, over, and around to take the most direct route. Jess slashes and burns with a vengance.
Chic's three doubles fly in a wedge formation, attacking a particularly nasty patch on the ceiling. Chic takes flight herself, but stays right in front of the others, just in case anyone needs to be shielded, or healed, on the way to Andrew. She hollers loudly. "HEY CUZ! The calvary's on the way!"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Thaddeus runs forward. (Boss...Tinker...Friend. Whatever.)

He shoots at the blob, trying to pen it in and keep it where the others could get at it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:15 am 

"Umm.... yeah..." Sarcastic looked over that the ooze and tendrils. "You know, I'm really not that good at fighting, so I think I'll just let you guys take point on this one. None of my powers really would do much against oozes, slimes, or jellies, and the martial arts stuff I've learned all kinda depends on someone having a discernible anatomy." She leaned up against one of the walls of the elevator. "Plus, Tendrils are only a few steps away from tentacles, and I'm still TECHNICALLY a schoolgirl, so, yeah."

David looked back at her. "Why would you being a schoolgirl have anything to do with anything?"

Sarcastic paused. "Ah... well... it's just that... yeah... there's this thing, see, and... well, I forgot that you don't really spend much time using the internet, do you?"

David shook his head. "Not really."

"You know what? Nevermind. Just trust me, boss. It's not worth talking about right now. Go save your friend, I'll be right behind you. A few steps behind. About 50 to 75 feet. Maybe a hundred. Yeah."

David shrugged and walked forward, reaching out and summoning fire to burn at a patch on a wall. Suddenly, lightning ran along his body as the fire burned away at the ooze-thing. "Ow!" He winced, turning to a different patch and trying again. His body trembled with electric energy. "Ok... so using my fire abilities makes this problem worse... not good. Still, Andrew's here... I just have to hold out... a little longer." he panted. Not much further now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the real world, in a darkened room, an eye opened.

Radiant grit his teeth.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 am 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel smiled, slowly, then touched the crystal pin. The transformation took seconds. As dark magical girl, Ariel plunged forwards, firing beams of energy at the... thing(s?), which shrank back.

Unfortunately, the goo was smarter than it appeared. It fought back, conjuring up shots of goo which began to grow and wrap around whatever they hit. Though she dodged with the precision of a computer, Ariel didn't notice that a small amount had gotten on her.

The stuff began to grow...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 pm 

As the goo was attacked, it seemed to shatter like glass where it was hit. The shattered pieces lay lifeless, without re-joining the main mass- so at least the attacks seemed to be working. And for the moment the stuff was just reacting- cringing away, drawing vback slowly to wherever it's source was... regrouping.

Xerox barreled ahead into the mass of ooze blocking their path, swinging his staff back and forth to smash the stuff away as quickly as he could, but he was *itching* to follow jess... he knew he could, he knew just how to scale the walls and..

Oh, screw it.

"CLAIRE! Smash a pathway dead through here! Impact damage, hit hard and often while it's stunned- before it can retaliate. I need to find Andrew." with that, he ran at one of the ladders attached to a bookshelf, using his staff to pole vault over a huge tendril of *stuff* that took a slow, ponderous swipe at him as he passed.

He ran up the ladder, coasting his momentum to leap from one book shelf to the next... the further he went, the harder it was to dodge the grey, twisting oozing things and the less light there was, but he pressed on... the trick was to ignore what was waiting for him if he fell.

The ooze drew back further, moving more like liquid now as it was being attacked so suddenly. But slowly, pieces of it began to break off, tumbling onto the cap\rpet and be ginning to twist horribly up into the air... slowly forming a vaugely humanoid shape, each blob began to approach the group-seeming to gain definition.

The blob stuck on Ariel slowly shifted as well, stretching a thin tendril up to Ariel's ear...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:52 pm 

Anvils and and the new mallet and the TnT help me blast my way through the goop as I follow Prim. I can't keep up with him- he's bypassing the stuff, and I'm trying to destroy it. But I need to make sure he can get out if he gets in trouble, so I try to make a decent pathway, although I value speed over quality. After all, I can always smash my way out again. I concentrate mostly on the main mass- the broken off, nonmoving stuff is less of a threat at the moment- although I still attack that when it's convenient. There seem to be some blobs over that way. I'll worry about them when they get here, I guess.

Getting to do all-out attack is fun. It's kind of like when the gerbils attacked in Prim's mind.

Hmmm... now I'm wondering what this stuff tastes like...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 am 

Jess is running flat out-up the shelves, across the walls, even over the ceiling in one brief spot-anywhere it's clear, taking the most direct path to Andrew. She claws viciously at any goo in her way, and it shrivels. Thank god she chose xray specs as one of her power ups...
Xerox catches up with her as she's facing a particulary stubborn patch of tentacles. They bash and slice in silence, forcing it back.
A twisting, humanoid blob rears up threateningly before them. Xerox slams his staff into it low, while Jess lunges forward and rips out its throat with a flame fist. One down! He takes the right, she the left, and together they work their way straight to Andrew. Almost there...
Jess's lips twitch briefly in a grin, as she thinks of the possibilities of her improved shapeshift.
He correctly divines her thought, and sighes. "Don't."
"What?"
"No humming the theme to spider man."
"Aww...Just thinking of Dr. Metallo's fortress of fear. I've had that job on the back burner, planning a way in...what?"
"...Nothing."
She snorts. "I'm not retiring now. And don't roll your eyes at me, spook-you know darn good and well I started being, ah, more selective, after we met up again."
"Listen, can we talk shop later?" He whirls, and bashes a tentacle sneaking up on them from behind.
"Yeah, yeah. And hell! He's got a unregistered AI I can spring, even."
"Later. Are you always this chatty on a job?"
"Bite me." A bit of goo takes that as a suggestion, and tries to oblige. She crisps it.
"Hmm...a job with you." She muses. "We'd either kick ass, or kill each other. Or both."
"Convict..."
She grins unrepentantly, and goes back to tacking goo.

Chic sees Claire bashing a path, and follows her. Her dopplegangers are still concentrating on any goo up high, stuff that's out of the reach for all but the flyers.
Part of her's wishing she had the leisure to thumb through the books. Are they copies of all the books he's ever read? Are they memories?
She throws herself into the fray.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

Xerox rolled his eyes, recognizing her flippant behavior as being a coping method- admittedly, he mostly recognized it because he did the same thing. Still... it was something to think about. On a mission together? that would probably be fun... even if actiually *working* together was something that he thought wasn't likely.

"We're close- can't be more than a few more shelves. Then we just need to... do what we can. Very likely just trying to open up a pathway to the group will be the best thing we can do." he managed, gritting his teeth and smashing the head off of a rising humanoid blob-thing.

"Kinda weird that it isn't taking on a specific shape... Frederic had a hypo or something, right? And with me it was a gun... Sayasuke?"

"Demons/hate-plague sort of thing." said Jess, grabbing Xerox and carrying him to the next shelf.

"Yeah, that makes sense for him. And Andrew has..."

"Black goo?" the next one was close enough that Xerox could vault, Jess leaping ahead to tear down a tendril hanging from the ceiling.

"In his *Library*. And it something with no motivation, no mind to trick... something he can't understand. And before you ask, Fredric *really* hates needles." They had reached the end of the book-shelves now, but it was too dark for either of them to see until their sight adjusted. The glass dome above them was completely blackened out.

But both of them could *just* make out a figure in the gloom...

The main group was making fast progress between the shelves, but the further they went, the more the goo began to close up behind them. The Humanoid Blobs weren't attacking just yet, instead simply standing there and taking the time to become more defined.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 am 

(Prrrrrrooooooteccccctt!)

Thaddeus held himself back, trying to keep the path clear for the others to return through. There is a lot of goo and the others are moving forward. He looks over at Sarcastic.

"Help me, Sarcastic. I-I need you," he looks into her eyes for a moment. Then he turns to fire at the blob and keep his shield up, completely breaking the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 am 
Hyperkeeper

Suddenly, the goo leaped forwards, sticking to Ariel's face and thrusting a tentacle deep into her ear. A few seconds later, she began to scream, dropping the Spear. The goo was gathering around her, slowly enfolding her. Her skin began to drain of color.

The spear reacted, morphing back into the book. It paused for a second.
"Clear Taint," the Book said. Light flew around Ariel, cleaning most of the goo off her. Unfortunately, some was still there...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 am 

Miss Chicgeek's helping me break through this stuff. "How well do you think his memories are cross-referenced? I can't believe how tidy it is in here- all the books are properly shelved and stuff. It's pretty!" Mallet mallet anvil mallet dynamite. "Oooh, I bet we could find the card catalog and then we'd know where *everything* is!" Dynamite dynamite mallet dynamite anvil mallet dynamite. "Do you suppose this goop is edible? I would imagine it would taste like licorice, although it might be pepper or something. It's acting kind of like some sort of slime-monster. Or a slug. Maybe it would shrivel if we poured salt on it, although I'm not sure where we would get salt." Anvil mallet mallet dynamite anvil mallet dynamite. "We are supposed to be following Prim, right? That's what I was doing, but I thought I'd check."

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject: David finally gets a combo attack...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:12 am 

Sarcastic blinked and blushed, and then folded her arms. "Darn it..." she began to walk forward, looking around. "Alright, let's see what I can do. Hmm... I wonder if..." Sarcastic closed her eyes and thought about something.

Sarcastic used "It's a Steal!" on strange blob-thingie!
Sarcastic has acquired a [Large Bomb]!

Sarcastic looked down. In her hands had appeared suddenly a black, round ball with a white wick sticking out of it. "I have absolutely NO idea why that thing would be carrying one of these. It's like a final boss carrying a friggin piece of dark matter." She looked up at Thaddeus and nodded. "Well, let's see how it works!" She lit it and tossed it at a large collection of the blob thing, where the bomb landed and exploded, destroying the blob but not actually harming the bookshelves for some reason. The way forward seemed to be cleared!

And then, unexpectedly from behind came a tendril, piercing into Sarcastic's shoulder and out the other end, provoking a scream of surprise from her.

David turned to see what had happened... and his eye twitched.

Sarcastic Female NPC has sustained damage!
David's Supreme Court Justice-Style Technique "Burning Sarcasm" has been activated!

David looked up and spoke mechanically, not entirely sure why he was saying it: "Sarc!-You-know-what-to-do!"

Sarcastic turned and ran towards him jerkily, nodding and not entirely sure what she was doing. "Right!" she said involuntarily, as she jumped higher than she ever normally could and landed perfectly, standing on David's robotic arm. "Activate-Invincibility!-Activate-Mega-form!" She felt her arms clench into fists, two auras surrounding her, as David closed his eyes and began to concentrate. Soon, Sarcastic was bathed in flame, a third, firey aura covering her body yet not managing to harm her due to the effects of her invincibility aura.

David felt his prosthetic arm lift her back. "And-here's-the-pitch!" he suddenly felt himself throwing Sarcastic, who surged forward, past the rest of the group, a bright firey aura somehow damaging any blob creature in her path without harming her allies. She plunged forward into the black gloom ahead of them until she vanished from view...

And all behind her had been laid to burnination...

David then suddenly fell to his knees, lighting cracking along his body in the real world and inside Tinker's mind. "Ow... ow...ow....ow... shocky! Ow..."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:45 pm 

Chic stops, upon seeing David fall to his knees, and hearing him cry out in pain. "Keep bashing a way forward, Claire! I'll rejoin you as fast as I can."
She grabs David, and holds on tight. "hey, hero-there's a reason I picked regeneration, useable on others." She can't reach Sarc, after that toss forward. And now Ariel's screaming?
"Someone get Ariel over here to me, if she can't do it herself! Hurry!"

Jess uses her fists of flame to attack the goo between the two of them and Andrew. Plus, they make a little light. There's soon a lot more light, as Sarcastic comes hurtling past...
"What the crap?" Jess's eyes widen. Huh. And Sarc seems to have burned a path. Cool. Didn't know she could do that.
"Okay..." She redoubles her efforts to get to Andrew, while still sticking with Xerox. "Get to Andy, get him free of goo, surround him-maybe have Thad put up a shield?-and fight our way out. That the plan?"
Almost there...

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm 

"Yes, Miss Chicgeek!" Not that I really need to bash my way forward, now that Sarcastic's created a path. I sprint after her, hoping to catch up to her before her invincibility and her mega-form wear off. If I don't she'll probably be in trouble...

I ignore the goo, whatever it's doing, trying to run faster. I'll worry about it if it attacks me. For now, I should probably get to Sarcastic. If I see Mister Tinker, I'll grab him- carrying someone won't slow me down that much, and if I can wake him up, or if Sarcastic can, the goop should go away.

Maybe if I can grab him *and* Sarcastic, and get them back to Mister Toboz- but I'll worry about that if I run into either of them. And Prim and Miss Jess should be somewhere around here too- they'll be able to help...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:26 pm 

"Sarcastic!" Thad says. (You fool. I won't even have to break the wall, if you do it for me.)

(Shut Up!)

He's firing off shields everywhere and working his way up to the front. So much for being cool and professional.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm 

David twitched and stood up. "Bzzzzt...Ow... ok." he stood up, feeling a bit better, and looked at Chic. "Thanks. Next time I use some sort of mind-diving device, I'm going to make darn sure that it's going to be fully functional." he stood up and wobbled a bit. He was keeping his left eye closed. He kept seeing the real world out of it, instead of Andrew's library. "Let's keep going, now that we've got a path, let's keep going. Saving Andrew is the important thing here..."

He had to hold out. Just a little longer.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:22 pm 

Sarcastic burnt a path all the way down the aisle, sending up waves of cauterized Goo that seemed to block the rest of it from swamping the path before everyone else could use it. The rest of the mass sprang up into new, more *creative* appendages- crab-like claws and spikes, faceless maws began to form, screaming silently. Somehow, the mass was becoming faster the closer they go to their goal.

The second affect that David and Sarcastic Power Combo was that a light had sprung into existence inside the main mass of ooze- when David's link malfunctioned, a stray bolt of the electricity hit a humble reading lam- and now it shined valiantly against the all-consuming darkness.

The scene was revealed.

Here the stuff was much, much more solid- more skin to silicone at the edges, and twisted wiry metal the closer it got to the center of the room.
And here it moved constantly, creating a grinding susurrus and wires and growths moved and writhed across the floor, in, in to... the center.

To Andrew.

It looked as though he had fought to the very end- for he was still standing in the middle of the room in a defensive pose. The Ooze wad thrown a spiked, jagged tendril around his chest , and from there masses of smaller tendrils had grown up and around him, like briers using a tree to reach the light.
He was still breathing, but only just- the vines were wrapped tight around him, and in places there was blood dripping to the floor.

"Fascinating. I never expected it to last this long... " the light revealed a shape in the air, a slightly translucent figure that stood by the huge column of Ooze-Vines.

"The Tinker Omega has proved to be more flexible that I had ascertained... practically human, if you diddn't know better."
The figure himself could have been just someone you saw in the market. Perhaps he wrote thoughtful letters to the local paper about the need for better recycling services.

"But no matter- all things break, in time."
Slightly messy mossy grey hair, permanently stooped shoulder, and the unnerving sort of focus usually associated with the most hateful sort of very small dog.

"And there is so much to be learned from the dissection."
But the eyes... something *burned* in those eyes, even in the pale, ghostly projection of a figure. Someone like that was easy to recognize, especially as his face had been plastered accross teh news for several months, leering out from the warnings and articles...

Dr. Diamante. The Mind-Murderer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:18 am 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel stood up straighter, ignoring the goo trying to crawl over her. Willing herself back into normal form, She began to concentrate. Andrew Tinker was listed as a friend in the memories left her by Prime... and she wasn't going to allow anyone to harm him.

Not without a fight.

Touching one hand to her forehead, she began to concentrate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out in the real world, the nodes of Ariel's distributed intelligence began to all come online at once. Scanning the Internet, they sought out one single thing: the most objectionable material they could find. Slowly, they began returning data to Ariel's body, who coordinated them while her main mind was busy. In Tinker's brain, Ariel felt power grow...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 am 

Thaddeus stopped for a moment. (The Mind-Murderer, in Tinker's head. Either Tinker, didn't create a metaphor for the mind-bug and did this instead. -Or, the Mind-Murderer is actually in his head.)

Thad continued toward Sarcastic. With defense he couldn't stop Diamante himself, but he kept an eye on him and held both guns cocked.

He couldn't do anything to hurt Diamante, but that didn't stop him from wanting to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:13 am 

Chic screams, and dashes forward, heedlessly grabbing the barbed wire and ripping it away from Andrew. "NOOOO!!!"
The projection watches with interest, as she bloodys her hands.
Jess curses, and whispers to Xerox-"It was more than a needle with Fredric, that was just the visible form of the curse. Removing the needle didn't wake him up. We had to show him we were there for him, and that we thought he wasn't a monster...you can thank Claire for that, by the way."
That being said, she launches herself at the projection of Diamante. "You're not real! You're in a cell at M! And waddaya mean, "You'd almost think he's human", you damn ghost? Being human's more than genetics!"
She slashes at the form with her claws, her fists of flame. Hell, even the poison she got this round.
"OUT! I don't let anything hurt my friends! ...even themselves..."
"And what would you know about being human? Monster. Freak. It'll be most enlightening to dissect you." It laughes chillingly, even as she hurtles herself at it.
Chic freezes briefly, the mocking laughter interrupting her frenzy. She pulls out the mad swiss army knife she got as a power up this time, and unfolds the tiny snips. Which grow to full size metal shears. Grimly, she starts snipping the strands wrapped around her cousin.
"Good, bad, human, construct-it doesn't matter. You're Andrew. You do both the right, and the wrong thing occasionaly because you're human. &%$@! genetics! Doesn't matter! We're going to defeat this thing, cuz!"
She's heedless of the bits she's managed to snip off twining themselves together...

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:32 am 

I reach Sarcastic and start to help her back to the rest of the group. "What is it with everyone and this whole 'human' thing, anyway? I'm not human. I'm pretty sure at least half my family doesn't count as human anymore. Lemon's not human. And even if it *did* matter, I would assume Fredric and Mister Tinker *are* human, depending on what value of human you use, anyway. But the only reason I was worried about it before is 'cause I thought Fredric wasn't going to be my friend, and he doesn't care. Are you human, Sarcastic?" Oh, here's Thaddeus. He's good with the whole 'defense' thing. I hand him Sarcastic. "Here you go. I'm gonna go see what I should kill."

Let's see, smash vines and stuff. I drop an anvil on the Dr. Diamante projection, just in case it helps. Odd, he seems more like he would go for vivisection. I wonder what kind of stuff he learns by breaking people's minds. The only thing we learned when we broke *my* mind was that I wasn't an SRMD individual, and we probably should have figured it out already.

Dynamite at the vines, then back to the mallet while I wait for it to explode, then more dynamite. I grin. Splody!

Spam Poison. I think.

Post subject: Another combo attack...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am 

Sarcastic looked up at Claire. "It's really just an ethnocentric concept. A lot of people over history have used the idea that someone/some group isn't human or isn't "really" human in order to justify doing bad things to people who don't deserve it. It's actually less common among supervillians than it is just regular jerks. Look what happened to the native americans during colonial times: In order to justify how "Manifest Destiny" didn't conflict with "All men are created equal" the American colonists started to convince themselves that native americans weren't actually human and therefore didn't qualify to be treated with the same respect and rights as whites did. Stupid, really. What really matters is what's always mattered. Sentience. Now can you put me down n-" Claire handed her to Thaddeus and she blinked. "Never mind, I'm fine where I am."

David and Elleb rushed forward, the former looking concerned. "Andrew! No!" he grit his teeth, making a ball of flame appear in his hands. "That's it. We're ending this, and taking Andrew back! Sarcastic, are you ok?"

Sarcastic looked over at him. "Yeah, I'm fine. I took some damage earlier from that attack earlier, and then you lit me on fire, but I should be fine if someone heals me pretty soon."

David was breathing heavily. Chic's regeneration had helped him here, but their mind-powers didn't affect him in the real world. He turned, waving his hand and burning a tendril nearby them as spiked vines encircled them. Suddenly, several of the vines darted out, striking at everyone around. One whipped David across the face, and several more struck at Sarcastic. Dr. Diamante had seen what she had did earlier and wasn't about to let her do it again. Thaddeus barely managed to get a shield up to protect them both, but...

Sarcastic had been hit. Several times. She wasn't speaking, and wasn't moving anymore. Her body began to turn gray, and then collapsed into gray dust, vanishing as her link failed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-In the Real World-

Sarcastic blinked and sat up abruptly. "Oh DA** IT!" She scowled. "Guess I'm sitting this one out, guys... hope it goes well."

-Back in Andrew's Mind-

"Sarc!" David snarled. "He'll pay for that!" He looked over at everyone else. Thaddeus and Claire seemed to have managed to escape more or less unscathed. But Elleb... she had managed to dodge some of the vines, but one had scraped her tiny little knee.

David's eye twitched.

Elleb has sustained damage!
David's Supreme Court Justice-Style Technique "Fairy Fire" has been activated!

Elleb looked upwards and pointed to David, who mechanically nodded. Suddenly Elleb flitted upwards, towards the glass ceiling above them, and started giggling, despite the moment not being remotely funny at all. She raised her arms up and down several times, and then thrust them forward. "Faerie.... MA-GIC!" A burst of bright violet sparkles began to form in a cloud in front of her.

"Hmmph-Let's-go!" David created a cloud of fire beneath him, jumping up into the sky to follow Elleb. Higher up than the confines of the room should have allowed him to go, David floated among the clouds and began to scream loudly, a huge ball of fire inexplicably forming behind him as he did his best unknowing Vegeta impression. "For-my-friends!" He pointed downward... dynamically! as the ball of fire began to fall towards the battle field, colliding with Elleb's cloud of violet sparklies and turning a deep, sparkly purple. It crashed into the library, engulfing everything in a bright purple flame and causing everyone to glitter for a few moments. As the fire subsided, a few of the vines had been turned into highly confused small bunnies of varying different colors, and it didn't look like much else had happened.

David and Elleb landed, and David raised an eyebrow. "Ok, what the crap? I shouted "For my friends!" and then proceeded to drop a ball of fire on them. Yeeeeaah... and even stranger, it apparently did almost nothing.

Actually, "Fairy Fire" does two things: It slightly heals all allies within the area of effect with magical flames, because everyone knows of the obvious healing properties of fire, and it also transforms up to 5 weaker enemies in the area into harmless [dream bunnies.], which drop useful items if shaken!

David sighed. "Wow, that was a relatively weak combo, mysterious voice! At least it seemed to have healed Andrew a bit." He sighed, feeling the lighting shocks getting more painful again. Every time he used a combo he paid for it. "Maybe if I do another one somehow it'll be better."

Elleb stuck her tongue out at him. "You're just jealous because you're not as cute as those bunnies we created!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:43 am 

"Sarcastic," Thaddeus says in a whisper.

He knows she's really okay, and just not in Andrew's head anymore. He knows that everything is fine. That doesn't change much...

(She was in my arms. I couldn't protect her.) Seeing how little his own body was marked, (It even protected me. It's happened far too much.) "The Mind Murderer will pay."

Thad's emotions are unleashed, and he slips into the form he associates with such a change.

Outside of the mindscape his body rocks off of the chair he's sitting in. On all fours he changes. Feet become paws. Limbs become legs. Fur spreads. His face is pulled into a muzzle. Fur grows all along his body. A tail flashes out.

Needless to say his clothes are destroyed.

Inside the mindscape, Thad is instantly changed into a giant wolf.

Thaddeus Has Become: Wolf Protector
-He gains Maneuvers: For the Pack-allowing him to take strong hits that would normally leave him incapacitated if he uses it to defend others & Feral Mind-allowing him to tear ferociously through obstacles.

(-is easy now- -no fear- -no doubts- -only attack- -protect the pack-)

With that he charged, to defend his pack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm 

Amino jumps up and down with glee. "Finally! I thought we'd never get to fight anything!" She joins the fight against the remaining Goo, throwing pies at anything that moved and humming the Indiana Jones theme--remixed, of course.

Ingrid sighs. "You know," she says to no one in particular, "I kind of missed the random fight scenes." She pulls out some paperclips and began to fight as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 pm 

All of the attacks launched at Dr. Diamante literally went *through* him, landing on the tendrils behind and below him. In much the same way, he barely seemed to acknowledge to other people there, or what they were saying.

The healing *did*, at least, hit Andrew- a lot of the blood stopped flowing, and he took a shuddering gasp as his breathing eased. Also, some of the attacking tendrils switched their focus to the rather unfortunate little bunnies.

Slowly, Dr. Diamante turned and waved a hand slightly.
"Hmm? Oh, I see.. I have been mistaken for a projected metaphor of self-destructive behavior. No, haha, no. I am Dr. Diamante. Or, precisely, a copy of Dr. Diamante.... such a pesky problem to age, is it not? But my work! Yes, my work... people will, haha, understand soon my methods were simply necessary... but not if I rot in a cell. No! The secret to success will be youth... and the standing that I was denied." he rattled off, still seemingly oblivious to the fighting around him.

"I meant, haha, to only draw the Tinker Omega... what better, haha, than such a perfectly made being? But imagine my surprise when, haha, so many fine specimens presented themselves? All that is left to strip the husk..."
Behind him, a huge forming thorn-vine-gaping maw of the ooze reared up, screetching as it rushed at Jess and Chic.

*CRACK!*

Jess slowly turned to look behind her- Xerox stood planted firmly in the ooze-muck of the floor, his Staff held firmly out in front of him- impaling teh OOze-Maw through the roof of it's gaping mouth. It's fangs only *inches* away from Xerox's sides... with one jammed pretty firmly in his upper arm.

"You know what? SHUT. UP. I don't care. I don't care WHAT someone like you thinks. All I care about is making sure something so loathsome is wiped from my friends mind, forever." He drew his staff back slowly, letting the Ooze- Maw crash into the ground and shatter into pieces around him.

One of Andrew's arms fell free of the vines, but some of the cut-off one were growing back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 am 

Thad, not paying attention to whatever the Mind-Murderer was saying, barreled through him.

(-murder- -not real-)

He padded over to where Andrew was buried and began to slash and claw at the blob. (-protect- -save- -pack-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:44 am 

Chic snarls, and redoubles her efforts to free Andrew from the....stuff. She makes sure to touch him often while she's snipping/ripping/tearing vines.And her attacks increase in power whenever her teammates are injured...her 'mama bear' power up.
"Andrew? I've got regeneration, useable on others, limited, but better than nothing. Any ideas on how to evict your unwanted tenant here? The only thing I can see to do is freeing you, and destroying goo." She wonders if Sarcastic heard Diamante's little speech before being kicked out....not that it would do any good if she did. What could she do from outside?
Her three dopplegangers attack the stuff covering the skylight, releasing more light onto the gloom filled horror scene below.
Jess yanks the fang out of Xerox's shoulder, then smiles, chillingly. It's not an expression Xerox has seen on her before.
"I was already set to kill him before, for hurting you...and that's not something I ever do casually. But what he's trying to do to Andy? That mad dog's getting put down. Permanently."
She swiftly turns, and slashes a presumptious tendril of goo that thought it could sneak up on them.
"Come on, baby-let's show the others how it's done." With that she falls silent, no more flippant banter. Just deadly quickness and ferocity. She fights in perfect synchronicity with Xerox, and the area of clear space in front of Andrew slowly starts to increase.
There's got to be something else they can do, but what?
"Yo, Ric.", she murmurs. They don't have to shout for him to hear them. "Got any ideas on how to affect that damn disease masquerading as a person?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:46 am 

-David and Elleb-

David blinked. "Wait. So THAT'S the reason you're doing this? That's the whole reason you're evil?" He narrowed his eyes. "That's... that's just... petty." He leaped over a tendril as it darted him, sending fire down to burn at it. "What you tried to do to these people... and to Andrew... that's wrong! That's terribly wrong! People shouldn't treat other people like that! And it's even worse because you don't even have a decent reason for it!" Suddenly, he winced and clutched his arm, a loud buzzing noise emitting from his arm, which crackled with energy. Ignoring it, he ran around the battlefield, getting in front of Thaddeus and Andrew. He wasn't going to let Dr. Diamante get to them if he could prevent it. "Andrew... he's someone precious to me. Even if he hurt me... He's important. He's special. The only reason I was ever angry with him is because he felt like he had to hide parts of who he was from me." He looked back to Andrew's inanimate body. "I wouldn't have been very mad about Hero's Quest if you had told me. I don't care if you aren't always the perfect hero!"

"But... you hid from me. You felt like you had to hide things from me. I wanted to make you feel happy, but all I did was make you feel alone." He sniffled. "I'm... I'm sorry, Andrew."

He panted and turned back to Dr. Diamante. "Because he's someone precious to me... because you threatened something important to me... to us... we'll stop you. We will protect Andrew with everything we have!" He lifted his arms, his body trembling, and hurled fire at more of the vines. He looked over at Chic. "Listen! That Dr. Diamante... that's not really the enemy. That's just a mouth. All we have to do to win is to destroy the blobs and the tendrils! That's what's really the danger here! If we destroy all of them, he'll have no power here anymore! I'm sure of it!"

Elleb, holding a purple-fluffed dream bunny desperately and trying to avoid the tendrils while flying, nodded. "Yeah! That's gotta be it!"

David lifted his arms, balls of flame appearing in each one. He began to burn the balls of ooze around him, leaving them charred to a crisp. "No matter what, you'll never touch Andrew again!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile-

The Shade of Zobot smiled. "Ah... the time is drawing near." He smirked.

David's Melodramatically Heroic Side sighed. "Yes, it's quite sad."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-M-

"Radguy... what the heck are you thinking of doing?" Flux was hanging upside down from a light, looking at him, copper-hair twitching. "I think you really need to sit back down and rest some more. You did kind of freak out back there..."

Radiant walked past him. "I have rarely been more lucid, Flux." he walked forward. "I believe a brief rest is all I needed."

"Rads... you're heading towards that mind-diving place. Why are you moving towards that mind-diving place? You know that's a stupid move."

"I have no intention of pursuing this matter further, Flux. I will allow M to conduct whatever investigations it wants. Should I turn out to be right, I will trust that they will allow me to perform my duty." He raised a hand, creating a blade out of light around him. They had taken his regular sword, but he always felt more comfortable with a weapon. "However, I wish to ask Mr. Toboz a question before we leave. As well as issue a formal challenge to that shapeshifter who knocked me out. And if anyone or anything within M attempts to threaten me, I will subdue them."

Flux blinked. "I... think you just broke my brain-like organ. This is like, a complete 180 from how you were just acting before, Rads."

"I am aware." Radiant closed his eyes and walked forward.

Flux raised his eyebrow. "And... that's your cue to offer me a reasonable explanation."

Radiant remained silent.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 101  Next