Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

A story begins. It remains to be seen where it will end.

Throughout this story there may appear to be many characters the reader may find familiar. But these are merely shades, beings in the shape of these old friends. They may be different, or similar, to what you have seen before.

This story begins in a strange land. A land of magic and monsters. It begins in the small nation of Xyon, in the humble village of Janfort. And, like in so many stories, it begins in a tavern.

The Drunken Dragon's Flagon was not what one would call an upscale establishment. It possessed a unique sort of dark and dank only found in small village inns, where farmers wanted to drink themselves into a pleasant stupor and most outsiders kept to themselves or dealt with rude looks and ruder words. It was the sort of place where the barkeep watered down the ale for the people he didn't like.

A story began... but before it did, who were the characters that started it? What outsiders had strayed into the Flagon this eve?

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Re: The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 pm 

"What can i get you?" asked the bartender, not bothering to look up as a man sat down at the bar.

"A Brier Mountain Cider, if you would. And for my companion..."

"Meep!"

"Milk, then."

The bartender looked up slowly, pausing in his work.

In front of him was a small, dark-haired man with a red cloak and a small fluffy winged rabbit on his shoulder...

Sir Andrew Kaboom Omega Attem Risk Tinker
Wizard/Rouge

He wore an outfit that marked him as a nobleman of some sort: a black long-sleeved shirt with black trousers, patched here and there with little white stars in a random patter, and a single black glove hiding his right hand. It was all made of fine material but somewhat worn from travel. His hair was black, and fell down to almost his knees in a loose ponytail.

The little creature with him was, apparently, a rabbit... only rather small, and with a pair of fluffy white wings. Also, it was happily munching from the bowl of peanuts and stacking the shells more neatly than any of the usual at the bar.

"Drinking alone, your lordship?" asked the bartender, drawing a mug of the Cider from it's special container- Bier Mountain stock always had to be kept separate from the other alcohol lest it try to devour the poor brandies.

"For now. But we are expecting company. Isn't that right, Frederik?" he said, setting a few silver coins on the table as he took his mug.

"Meep!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 am 

A small, black-haired girl in a faded brown coat walked into the bar. Strapped to her back was a large double-bladed battle-axe that looked heavy enough that she shouldn't be able to lift it, let alone fight with it...

Claire
Fighter/Rouge

Her clothes were well-made, but common. They looked like they had stood up to a lot, but could weather much more travel. The one exception to this was a fancy-looking heart-shaped metal locket around her neck, which gleamed slightly in the lamplight. Her hair was short and seemed to stick out of her head in spikes, and her eyes darted around the bar wildly.

Approaching the bartender, took out a small bag. "Hey, can you mix three parts Bear's Ale and one part honey? I can pay."

The bartender blinked, then shrugged. It was an odd drink, but he was used to unusual orders. The bar had strange costumers often. As he made her drink, she became fascinated by the winged rabbit. "Oh, neat! Is he your familiar? Did you construct him?" She dug through her pockets, eventually producing a vial of strange green liquid. She took a sip, then set it on the bar next to the rabbit. "Want some? It's a kind of liquid food- and it tastes kind of leafy."

The bartender handed her the strange drink, which fizzed ominously. She grinned. "Thanks." She handed him a few coins from the bag, then put it into another pocket and pulled out a second vial, dumping it in the drink. It hissed and crackled, then slowly settled down as she started to drink it, although it seemed to emit a strange glow.

Still grinning, she turned back to the man with the rabbit. "So, Sir, what is the story behind that rabbit? The wings are a nice touch."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:09 am 
Heh heh heh.

Sitting in the far rear corner of the tavern, a dark-haired woman sat, watching the crowds. Occasionally taking a sip of something that looked poisonous, she took in all that went past-- even as the other denizens of the place mysteriously failed to notice her.

Jane last name, if any, unknown
Magic-user, and... other things... (if you have to ask, you don't need to know)

Jane kept her eyes open, always alert for useful information she could sell... or people who might need someone with a certain set of 'skills'. You never knew who might turn up... however, they didn't tend to turn up much in a village as small as Janfort.

In a few days, if nothing presented itself, she'd probably pack up (the work of moments; Jane traveled light) and head for the nearest large city, Old Habrigclaw. Or possibly the floating city of New Habrigclaw, almost a mile above the old. Jane had heard that security was tight there. Most like her would have most likely been driven out of business.

Which meant there'd be opportunities...

The woman in the corner smiled as she watched the hustle and bustle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Sitting at the far end of the counter a man in peasants clothes sipped at his ale. A sling hung at his side and he glanced quietly at the nobleman at the bar.

Atrius Goodborn
Fighter/Peasant
His eyes shifted nervously back to his drink. He didn't want to get mixed in any trouble and that girl with the ax looked...mildly dangerous. To say the least.

A shepherd, Atrius only desired to return to his flock after his monthly break. He fingered his pouch of stones. He didn't want trouble, but it always found him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:42 am 

At the counter is a young man enjoying a few drinks with some of the locals.

Locke Aimsten
Fighter

Locke was enjoying himself. After a longs day work as a body guard it is relaxing to enjoy a few drinks and socializing with the locals. He was just finishing a joke. "And h said 'Hey! wasn't that your father's plow?'" Laughter broke out from the nearby locals. It was not the best joke but everyone needed a good laugh. Locke carries a quarterstaff and always keeps it close to him just in case. This time was no exception. Locke did not really expect much trouble here or now so he is not as aware as he usually is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:35 am 

The door opens, a gust of wind blows in. The dispirited locals automatically turn to look-and stare at the shadowy figure framed in the sagging doorway. She pauses almost imperceptively, before stepping into the light.
Such as it is-dripping candles, smokey oil lanterns hanging from the ceiling, a fire in the hearth.
Light enough to drink by, at any rate.
A short woman with long brown hair. She's sensibly attired in trousers, long sleeved blouse, and midnight blue cloak-but her seemingly casual clothes are of high quality, and tailored to her figure. Soft soled boots enable her to move silently. A narrow blade hangs at her side. It's of the same high quality as her clothes, but it's no noble's toy blade. Indeed, a deadly, efficient weapon.
She makes her way to the bar, lifting an elegant eyebrow at the aristocratic figure seated there with his....bunny.
"Innkeeper, a glass of brandy," her voice soft, but distinct.
"Right away, my lady." He reaches under the bar, and carefully retrieves a dusty bottle. She lays a coin on the counter, and he smoothly pockets it, pouring her a generous measure.
Lady Emily Viktor, Fighter/Rogue
She sips it appreciatively. You never know with these places-small, dingey, a clientele of mostly farmers-but the Dragon's Flagon has been a fixture for generations. The innkeeper would have been just as likely to give her a blank stare, and an apology, with her settling for a nut brown ale. More likely, perhaps. But her luck felt good tonight.
She's more than passing good with her blade, as those who jest at her height and gender have found to their dismay. And sneaky....some know her as a bladeswoman, but few know of her other, more specialized skills...
Heh.
She turns to Sir Andrew.
"And what brings you out on such a night?" she asks idlely. She reaches into a pocket, pulls out a perfect apple-unlike the shriveled, wormy fruit so often found hereabouts. Balancing it on the palm of her hand, she holds it out to the winged rabbit currently decimating the peanut supply.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 am 

Sir Andrew turned to Claire with a surprisingly cheerful smile as Fredric sniffed at the green vial, daintily taking it in his paws as he examined it.

"He's not exactly a familiar, really. But he *is* my finest creation. His name is Frederik, incidentally." he explained, smoothly side-stepping the question about the story behind his little companion.

He started slightly as Lady Viktor spoke to him, turning quickly before calming down- a sharp eye might have spotted the glimmers of a spell he had begun to cast on instinct fading.

"Oh! Cousin. Temple and Arch, don't *startle* me like that." he scolded, as Fredric happing bumped Lady Viktor's hand with his head and took the apple, squeaking up at the bartender and scratching a little circle on the bar.

The bartender shrugged and sat down a bowl for him, watching with interest as the little rabbit started to industrially break the apple into little chunks and mix them in the bowl with some of the leaf-stuff and peanuts.

Andrew took a sip of his drink, turning to his cousin.
"The usual, of course. Frederik got 'stuck', I got bored, and my mother Her Grace started planning another damn ball to try and set me up with some addle-brained knight or something." he explained, sighing and taking another long drink of his cider.

"So i figure I'll just wander around until something catches my interest. And you?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:12 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Ivan Schmtiz, Cleric/Ranger. Formerly of his Majesty's Secret Surgeons, an elite medical unit developed during a brief war with the militant church authority. With most of the traditional healers being clerics and priests of some sort, there was at the time a great need for practioners of "alternative" medicine. Since hostilities ended, however, the practice has gone back to "grave-robbing quackery" in the public eye.

That was when Ivan came to Janfort and entered the fur trade. Why the job that gets him lynched is reattaching limbs instead of skinning bunnies, he'll never know. But the work keeps his old scalpels sharp, provides him the odd bit of gold, and some of the townsfolk are former patients. He even gets the occasional, under-the-table medical work, provided the problems more structural than the "Detox/Regen" work the Holies do. Mostly, he just plays "I bet they're not dumb enough" with the local druids. Like all gamblers, he knows when its time to take his winnings and run.

"Oi, barkeep!" He walks in with the sweaty grin of one who running to a friend for help, yet thinly disguising it as a social visit, "I hear your anniversary's coming up. What do you say to a nice ermine pelt in exchange for a hot meal and a bed for the night?"

"Huh. I thought all you trappers camped out in the woods." The bartender skeptically looks out the window the view of the forest. A lone wolf howls in the distance. Its not nearly distant enough for Ivan's taste.

"C'mon, you know I can't stay out there forever. I'm still a city boy at heart." He thumps his chest, which only draws attention to the fact that he's dressed all in buckskin from his backpack down to his moccasins. He looks more like Daniel Boone than a tourist, except with a black ponytail instead of a coonskin cap.

"I don't know, an ermine skin? I mean, what do I do with just one?" He starts polishing one of the tin plates on which guests are served their tavern fare, ostensibly for another customer.

"Tell you what, I'll turn it into a pair of slippers for you. Nice ermine bedroom slippers, the most comfortable gift for a wife next to a foot massage." He looks at the gruff fellow slyly, "Unless you'd rather giver her the foot massage...?"

"Okay, okay, I surrender." The barkeep holds up his hands, with a rueful smirk, "One meal and I'll find you a place to sleep, but you're buying your own drinks."

"Naturally," Ivan grinned, leaning against the bar in what might have been relief.

"I mean it, Ivan. You're not going to sit around sober, messing with the drunks like last time." he points a finger, all smirking gone.

"Aw, c'mon, there's a reason they call it a stupor..." The barkeep turns away, "Alright, alright already..." He tosses a few copper on the bar for some of the watered down "penny ale."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm 

Lady Viktor grins at her cousin. "Bored? Oh deary me, that won't do at all. I remember the last time-"
"Cousin..." He interrupts her, voice vaguely threatening. The bartender listens intently, a little too obviously polishing the bartop with a grimy rag...only to pale when the diminuative noblewoman casually loosens her sword in its sheath. He prudently moves down to the other end of the bar and attends to a trapper.
She winks at Sir Andrew, unrepentant. "As for me-I find myself at loose ends. This is as good a place as any to seek a cure for boredom. And Her Grace still giving balls? You'd think she'd have gotten that out of her system by now. Really, does anyone find their true love at such things, outside of a fairy tale?"
Sir Andrew sighes. "Ever the cynic-but have a care, cousin."
She leans forward a bit, scratching the baby bunny behind his ears. "Now, Andrew. I mean no disrespect againt your dear mother, long may she rule! But honestly, just send me a message the next time she plans a soiree for you, and I'll kidnap you in a trice. Anything for my favorite cousin."
Lady Emily picks up the ancient bottle and pours herself another glass, savoring the aroma.
He tches at her in mock exasperation. "I swear, you may have grandfather's eyes, but you have your father's liver."
The two nobles make small talk, and eye the obvious strangers. Perhaps something interesting will happen before the night's over...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm 

Claire shrugged at the Lord's response. A creation. Cute. After the Lady was finished scratching him, she rubbed him between the ears in that one particular spot. As the Lord and Lady talked, she drank her concoction- which was technically neither ale, nor safe for bears to drink, but somehow the name stuck- and pondered. The Lady had a decent sword, and the Lord seemed to be a spellcaster, but getting into a fight with either one of them would probably force her to leave the city, if not the kingdom. And she was a bit sick of that happening. It wasn't her fault the jails tended to be so badly made, let alone the bars. Why, many of them couldn't stand up to even a simple brawl.

As long as she stayed in the city, she could have a bit of fun. She didn't need to look for work again quite yet- her last job had unexpectedly produced the 'commanding officer fallen in combat' bonus *beyond* the agreed upon pay. But that didn't mean she could afford to pass up a job, if one were offered...

The Lord and Lady were cousins, apparently, and bored. Talking about kidnapping each other to avoid balls... Tch. She finished her drink and shoved the mug back to the bartender. "Another one." She was rewarded by a startled look, although he didn't say anything as he refilled the mug. She grinned at him, taking the pouch out and handing him the coins before shoving it back in a third pocket. A few drinks here, then on to a different bar, perhaps, to see if she could find a good fight there... Here there was too great a chance of the Lord or Lady getting involved, and despite their current insistence that they were bored, nobles tended to switch from 'friendly' to 'angry' if they got so much as scratched. Tch. She took another drink, debating whether or not it would be worthwhile to attempt to get a job with one of them. It generally paid decently, but in peacetime there simply wasn't much to do, at which point she tended to get thrown out for picking fights.

The spellcaster's creation was a bit interesting... but she doubted that would hold her attention for long, even if he were willing to talk to her about it, which he clearly wasn't. A pity no one ever seemed to make decent creations anymore- the insanely destructive monsters that would destroy an entire kingdom were so entertaining to fight, and the jobs paid so well...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:48 pm 
Hyperkeeper

The door opened, and a man walked in. The man was dressed in plain, battered traveling clothes, with light armor over it all. He carried a long, battered sword in a scabbard on his belt, and something about his manner suggested that he was... dangerous.

Rand Jameson
Fighter, Hunter [of sorts]

Rand, the man, walked up to the bar. "Beer," he said, glancing at the other bar patrons. Once the innkeeper had delivered his drink, he leaned in slightly.

"There's someone I'm looking for... I've heard rumors that a woman passed this way."

"Many woman pass this way, friend... perhaps I could hook you up--?" said the bartender, grinning.

Rand stopped the bartender with a flick of his hand. "Not like that. I'm searching for a woman, calling herself 'Jane'. No other name. Slightly taller than I am, with black hair. Pretty. Pretty dangerous, that is. Have you seen her?"

The bartender thought about it as he stepped over to fill mugs for two farmers who had just come in.
"I don't really remember anyone who matches that name... maybe... say, who wants to know?" he said, his voice taking on a suspicious tone.

"I do. Let's just say that I find people," the man said, flicking a coin across the countertop.

The bartender shrugged.
"I know what you're thinkin'," he said, "but I really don't remember anyone who looked like that. Thanks for the tip, though."
The innkeeper paused. "Although..."

"Yes?"

"Nah, nothing. I'd just heard this funny rumor going around... Layran claimed he'd been conned by someone like you said. He was pretty drunk at the time, though, so I figured he'd made up a story to avoid having to tell his wife he'd spent all his coin on ale... not that she was very happy to hear about it anyway." The last sentence caused the bartender to laugh and the man to smirk.

Rand began to nurse his mug, thinking. "Thanks," he said, a bit gruffly. "You've been a big help."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:31 pm 

Suddenly a smell permeates the bar that causes patrons to wonder if their drinks have fermented a little stronger than they thought.

It was the smell of the sweatsock of someone who occasionally sweats hard liquor out of her system while working over a hot stove with cheese, eggs, and fried batter. It was a smell that might have reminded certain children of home, and more than one naughty boy was forced to describe the smell as "pleasant." One of those boys was kneeling at a loose floor board where the source of the smell was usually buried.

"Ewww..." The bartender put his rag over his air spaces, "What're you doing with THAT shoe?!"

"Well, I have to get your wife's size," Ivan shrugged. He cut apart dead things for a living and this... Okay, this was still pretty bad, "And you know how your wife and I get around fittings."

"Dizzy and light-headed," The publican grimaced, from exactly what, none could say, "Just take it over to the shadowy corner by the fire."

"Where the quest-givers usually sit?!" Ivan was agahst.

"They're not here YET!" The barkeep barked, a bit comically through his plugged nose, "And the updraft from the flames may help clear the smell!"

"What was THAT?" A voice yelled from the kitchen.

"The pleasant, rosy smell..." The man gulped as Ivan skedaddled.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 pm 

Locke heard the man asking for a lady calling herself Jane. He leaned over to the man. "Heh hey mister. You won't find anyone like that around here. Nobody of importance comes here." Locke finished with a small chuckle. "This town is too small for anything exciting to happen." Locke gave the man a pat on the back. "What is your name anyways?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:44 pm 

"Welp... lotta outsiders in the bar tonight, eh Barman Stan?" Ingles the farmer looked up from his mug of ale over at the barkeeper.

Barman Stan polished the same glass he had been polishing for about half the night. "Welp. You know what that means." He turned to pour some ale into a new glass for someone. "The whole inn's going to be destroyed before the night's over."

Ingles nodded. "Fifth time this week, isn't it?"

"A-yup." Barman Stan set the glass down underneath his table and began the lengthy process of polishing another glass.

It has been proven by a group of obscure monks living high in the Rarely-Seen Mountains that when adventurers with too much time on their hands gather in mass in taverns, sooner or later a fight will break out and a mysterious cloaked figure will appear and change everyone's lives forever by sending them off on some epic mission. And it would all begin the moment a mysterious cloaked figure stepped through the front door of the Drunken Dragon's Flagon.

Yup, any minute now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miles away form the town, a cloaked man on a dappled gray horse was riding at a breakneck pace. He was late. In more ways than one.

Because the battle he was supposed to herald had already begun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere far away, a woman cackled.

Pop.

________Pop.

"The hell?" Ingles the farmer looked down at his ale, as it started to slosh and splash out of it's container. A head made of ale poked out of the mug, wreathed in foam, two bubbles hanging in positions that made them look like eyes, The liquid creature sprouted arms and legs made of ale and crawled onto the bartable. Then, it sloshed at the face of poor Ingles the farmer, causing him to fall over as it splashed into his face.

Soon other drinks in the bar began to take on life of their own, crawling out of their containers and attempting to beat and drown the people nearby them. And several of them began to turn on the outsiders that had had the misfortune to enter the bar that night. Before long, the entire bar was swarming with liquidly foes.

A fight had begun.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 pm 

Claire finished her drink and shoved the mug at the bartender again. "Mo-" Suddenly, she froze, then whirled and sprinted back to near the entrance where a few people had hung their cloaks. Grabbing the first one she saw, she quickly put it on and drew the hood over her head. Muttered cursing could be heard as she retreated into the corner of the bar. She seemed to be examining her necklace, ignoring the alcohol elementals attacking everyone. Fighting was not first priority anymore. She studied her necklace carefully, frowning. One of the alcohol elementals attacked her. She grabbed it and slammed it into the wall, lighting it on fire at the same time. She held it pinned in place as it burned, apparently not bothered by the alcohol or the fire, finally letting it drop as it started to dissolve.

Still cursing, she returned to examining her necklace.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:00 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane watched the battle. The lighting in the inn was just right at this time of day; her mouth was visible, and the rest of her face was in shadow.
Of course, some disturbance or other had to mess it up... oh well. It would be fun to watch and see--

Suddenly, a splash bounced off the wall, an alcohol spirit hissing as it thrust its arms towards her. Spreading its form wide, it towered over her, blocking any escape.

Jane barely moved. Casually, one hand reached down into her glass, coating her fingers with a few ice-green drops from her drink. Then, with a flick of her hand, she sent the drops flying at the spirit.

Where the drops hit, they began to steam. The spirit started writhing, seemingly in pain. Then, it collapsed, leaving a large puddle of alcohol on the stone floor.

Jane took another dainty sip of the mysterious green liquid, apparently without any ill effects whatsoever. This would be a fun battle for her to watch...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:31 am 

"Gah," said Atrius as the Alcohol Spirit sprang from his mug. It started to hit him and he stumbled back from the bar...

...only to be surrounded by the Spirits who'd already defeated less experienced fighters. He kicked, punched, and generally tried to beat the Spirits to death.

They just reformed themselves, and Atrius was beginning to have trouble...concentrating.

Wait...he grabbed a matches from a table as he sprang onto it. He lit a match, "Alright, back-back you beasts."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 am 

Like all medieval doctors, Ivan had a simple solution to every problem he faced.

Dr. Schmit: "Leeches."

(ooc: Eeughh! that may be a little TOO setting realistic...)

But for once, it seemed to work.

The golden foamy monstrocity was too watery to grab the wiggling black thing now imbedded in its forehead. The leeches also did a fair job absorbing magical energy, diminishing the alcohol monster even as it grew to unnatural and frankly disturbing size. Ivan had his medkit out on the table for the scissors and needles, but one or two more casuallly tossed leeches convinced the other monsters to leave the strange man alone as he stitched together his dead weasel-badger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 am 

Lady Viktor picks up her glass...and an alcohol beastie leaps out of it, growing rapidly and flinging itself at her face."GRAAAGHH!!"
"What the?!" She curses, ducking and rolling away, someone simultaneously managing to draw her sword.
Her cousin shakes his head, "Tch...a sword won't help you against these-I thought even you knew better than that..."
She leaps upon the table, then to the bartop. "Says who?" she grins, springing upward, slashing a rope.
Releasing a rustic chandilier of burning candles to crash upon the tabletop, engulfing their former beverages.
"HaHA! Take THAT! And that!"
"Andrew! Cast flame upon my sword!"
He lifts an eyebrow. "Just like that? Do you have any idea of what's involved in spellcasting, the delicate balance of-"
"Oh, come on! Please?" She dashes around the table, grabbing it and flipping it over onto another spirit...but it's just one of many.
"Oh, very well," he grumbles. "If it keeps you out of my hair..."
He waves his hand, muttering something too quick to be understood. An eerie green flame flickers up and down the lenght of her blade.
"WOOHOO!" She shouts delightedly, and starts pursuring the alcohol sprites inn earnest.
Sir Andrew smiles...any minute now she'll realize that the heat will swiftly conduct itself to the hilt....
At least it's no longer boring.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:12 am 

Locke was going for another drink of his beer when it's contents started moving. "Oy. Don't tell me I drank too much already." Locke flung the Ale over his shoulder and did a quick look around. Either he is really drunk or the alcohol got fed up and is planning a rebellion. Locke grabbed his quarterstaff and took a whack at the nearest alcohol creature. The staff went through the creature, hardly affected it. "Now that is just not fair." Locke then picked up a mug and swung that. The mug splattered the creature all over the place which made Locke smile. "That is more like it."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 pm 

Andrew winced as his cousin reduced a Ale Spirit to so much sour vapors. He had hoped that perhaps the feud would be over after only a few minutes, but the fighting seemed to be continuing...

One of the Monsters reached down for Frederik, who was happily munching on his little apple salad. The fuzzy creature seemed such an *easy target*, a mistake the being of alcohol wouldn't exist long enough to regret.

Something flashed, and a volley of daggers thudded into the walls of the bar, glowing an angry red. After a beat, one of the monsters exploded into vapor, and another became a very suprised looking baby chicken that landed on Frederik's head with a peep.

Andrew smiled, sipping his drink.
"Much better! I would summon a monster of my own, but I think my dear cousin is having much more fun."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 pm 

Claire put a finger over a small hole on the locket and twisted. It opened, and something fell out, bouncing along the floor and into a crack between the floorboards. She cursed again, then snapped the locket shut and pulled the hood down so it covered her eyes. She stalked back to the bar, stopping to light a few more of the alcohol elementals on fire. As she walked, she grabbed another one, slamming it down on the bar next to the rabbit, which sneezed from the fumes. She hoped that would keep it from noticing that her scent had changed. Now that there was a lovely fight going, and even attempting to fix the necklace would be hopeless until tomorrow, she might as well have some fun.

The rabbit itself seemed to have done something to one of the other alcohol elementals, but she didn't pay much attention. She retrieved her mug and handed it back to the bartender. "Sorry about that- horrible light sensitivity, and my protection against it-" She tapped her locket. "Seems to have broken. Another drink, please." She lit the elemental she had pinned to the bar on fire, grinning slightly as it burned to reveal teeth that were now a bit off, somehow.

She slammed her foot into another alcohol elemental that had gotten too close. Lots of monsters to fight. Excellent. She just hoped that whoever's cloak she had stolen wouldn't raise too much of a fuss. Or at the very least, that the cloak belonged to someone who she could slam into the ground a few times without getting arrested again.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:44 pm 

Lady Viktor is having a wonderful time indeed. Leaping from tabletop to floor, dodging one sprite only to gleefully chase another. She pauses only to don a heavy glove upon her sword hand-her blade's getting a bit hot to hold. But that's a mere trifle!
"My thanks, cousin!" Lunge, stab. "And take that!"
A cluster of the beasties converge upon her, forcing her to take evasive action. She whips her cloak around her, and somersaults through the flames and under a table.
There's a pair of boots there...
She springs to her feet, pausing a moment to catch her breath. And to take in the stranger with the black hair...funny she didn't notice her before.
Whoever she is, she doesn't seem overly concerned about the mayhem surrounding her. Lady Emily Viktor gives her a friendly nod. "Be glad you did not arrive upon Open Bard Night."
An elegant eyebrow is lifted. "Open...? Is that where they gut the ones who can't carry a tune?"
"Nay, more's the pity. Old Silent Johnson strums what ere tune you will upon his lute, and those who fancy they are a balladeer of undiscovered greatness take it in turn to warble a tune to his playing. 'Tis far quieter and more tuneful tonight."
The air is filled with shrieks, curses, and the crashing of breakables. Punctuated by the occasional crashing of unbreakables. The mysterious stranger wonders if her leg is being pulled...
The Lady gives her a smile and a bow, then suddenly lunges gracefully to skewer an alcohol elemental that strayed too close.
"And take THAT!" Her gleeful shout changes to conversational tones. "So, what brings you here tonight, if I may ask?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm 

Atrius looked at all of the alcohol spirits who surrounded him. He struck every match and began to spin on the table flicking them at the alcohol spirits.

Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick Flick

Wait had he missed that one. Atrius jumped back as the Spirit leaped at him. He jumped a bit more than he had intended though. Happily he noticed that he was landing behind the bar, an area relatively free of Alcohol Spirits...

...Until he realized that he was going to land on the bottles behind the bar.

Smash

He was again set upon by a horde of the beasts.

"Great, and I'm outta matches."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 am 

Once again the bar was in flames as fighting broke out on all sides.

Ivan got up and flicked a leech into one of the elementals, reducing it and hopefully the damage it would do.

"My Bottle DISPLAY!!" Stan shouted, before realizing he was faced with several dozen beer monsters.

He leaped over the bar and dove under one of the few untoppled tables. Ivan batted the dwarfed elemental aside with his backpack. Unfortunately, this knocked it into another leeched elemental, joining the two puddles together. One small puddle contained the leeches. The other rose up into a jumbo elemental that rose up to loom over that extremely capable looking woman. Ivan following the barman under the table.

"Might it not be a good time to heroically rescue the box of wedding photos upstairs?" Ivan asked.

"SETTLE DOWN OUT THERE!" a scalding frying pan was hurled from the kitchen with great force. It struck one of the elmentals and much screeching was heard.

"Perchance it might be where I hid her anniversary present...?" he implored.

Ivan took out a pair of pristine white slippers, seemingly spun out of whole fluff, with little gold coins as a glittering accent.

"Medico..." the barkeeper gasped, looking from the woodsman to the gift.

"I'll need some good karma if I'm going to make it through the night." Ivan shrugged.

"Safe travels to you," Stan solemnly clasped the other man's shoulder and then dashed from the table, heading for the stairs.

Ivan crawled out from the table and there it was...

...the Dragon Flagon...

... a rather spectacular failure in creating a Decanter of Endless Water. Or was that an "Ocean In A Bottle?" The story was rebuilt with the bar. In any case, it had been ornately redecorated as a dragon so that none would be suprised as what came out if the bottle was ever opened.

He leaped behind the bar and grabbed it from where it was hanging. Then, thinking better of it, he tossed it to the rather distressed looking shepherd. Atrius looked confused as he pressed down on the dragon's "horn." The mouth/lid opened and a tongue of flame shot out before the shepherd shut it in suprise. A mad grin slowly crossed his face.

Meanwhile, while the elementals were distracted, Ivan raided the bar's "Hair of the Dog" collection. Let's see, mint, other mints, aspirin, aloe vera! That'll make a nice burn cream...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:55 am 

"Madam, I'd really rather not go to a tavern so late at night," murmured a young woman in a simple dress and apron to her companion, "All sorts of characters come to taverns, you know."

Ingrid of Minshire
Cleric/Rogue

"Nonsense, Ingrid," her companion says, walking briskly to their destination, "The portents tell me that a fortuitous occurence will take place quite shortly at this particular tavern. We must hurry or we will be late!" She wears a long, tattered robe that she trips over on occasion and a shiny silver pointed cap upon her head.

Dana Amino, the Mildly Terrible
Wizard

"I am not a wizard!" Amino complains, "I am a dual class Alchemist/Necromancer! And exactly whom are you calling the 'Mildly Terrible'?"

"Madam? Are you all right?" Ingrid asks. She always worried when the madam spoke to voices from the beyond.

"I am fine, Ingrid. Now please do hasten, or we will not be present when the event the portents spoke of shall come to pass!"

"Yes, madam."

The two finally reach the tavern. They hear the sounds of a great skirmish and see flames through the window. "Oh, fiddlesticks!" Amino curses, "We're late!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:24 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane smiled. "Oh, I'm here for the tourist season," she said casually. "They taste wonderful with a red sauce, or so I hear..."

Jane smirked as Lady Viktor instinctively pulled away a hair. "Seriously? I'm just passing through town. Occasionally, I seek out some piece of information that's caught my fancy. You can learn a lot of things that way. Heh... I even heard about someone who'd put out an assassination contract on some minor noble... what was her name now? Victor, or something.... no matter. Doesn't really interest me, that sort of thing."

She paused, pretending not to notice that her opposite had grown a few shades paler, then said, "Or, you could say that I'm here for the quiet atmosphere."

"But--"

Jane raised a hand, downing the last of her drink and rising to her feet.

"Oh... I really must be going."

Then, ignoring the battle raging around her, Jane walked directly to the door, quickly disappearing in the late summer night.

It was only when she was safely camouflaged on the roof of the tavern, observing the events below through a small mirror, that she burst out laughing.

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:29 pm 

Fire sprung from the bottle that had been tossed to him and Atrius quickly inflamed the Spirits surrounding him.

He sprung over the scorched counter and into the bar helping some of the more desperate patrons. He even managed it without burning too many of them.

"Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee! The Pain!"

"Hold still so I can get all of them."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 am 

" 'Viktor something' ? Come back here!" Lady Viktor was only frozen a moment before she ran pell mell for the door....only to see nothing but an empty street. The door still swayed creakily from the mysterious woman's passage, but she had vanished into the night.
She takes one step, and stops, as an agonized scream from the bar reaches her. Shrugging, she turns. There's still foes to be fought here! And the rumored contract on her life....well, it certainly isn't the first time. Perhaps the Duke? She did intercept that message, but could've sworn she'd covered her tracks. She shakes her head. There'll be time to puzzle that out later.
The first thing she does is grab the empty flask the stranger was drinking from, stowing it safely away. Perhaps her cousin can cast some spell or the other, allowing her to track the woman later. She really has no idea if such a thing is possible-magic is his domain, not hers. But she's found that if she insists enough, he progresses from 'that's impossible!' to 'do you think all I have to do is wave my hands?' to 'you're completely ignorant about how magic works-you really don't have a clue, do you?' to grumbling and doing what she asked. Proving her right about his abilities. Really, if he'd just do that in the first place, it'd save them both a lot of time. He must just like complaining. Ah, well-he is her favorite cousin. She can indulge his little foibles.
Aha!
There's a row of alcohol spirits at the bar!
She dashes forward, and sweeps her sword across. They stand unscathed-the one on the end sneering at her poor swordsmanship-then...They all fall over, as neatly sliced in two as if they were but a row of candles, then, like said candles, gutter out.
The one remaining flickers, flame paling, then dives for the barrell of ale behind the bar. Quick as thought, it worms its way through the spigot. The stout oak barrell bursts asunder, as the largest flame beast of all looms over her. And Sir Andrew. And Frederick.
"oh, #@%*!" Lady Viktor swears softly.
This will be a challenge...

C Valente

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next