Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:45 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Lord Tinker finished brewing the tea, and poured a cup- with milk in before, and two lumps of sugar. He carefully placed the tea-cup in the empty scale, and waited. The tea-cup end of the scale slowly sunk down, down... and... all the way down? Until the golden heart was up in the air. The Tea in the cup slowly, drained, and for a moment, a sound beyond sound echoed gently in the air...

"Ah... that's lovely."

And the scale returned to it;s prior position. Interestingly, the moss was cleaned off of the statue, and the lobes of light seemed brighter. The God had tousled hair, and an amiable, if confused, look on it's face. And under one arm, he carried a Book...

But the doors remained shut.

Lord Tinker frowned, and poured everyone their own cup. "Well, an interesting demonstration of a nearly forgotten god, but not quite what we were looking for..."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:17 pm 

Claire looked up at the statue. Neeeeat...

Maybe they needed to know more about the god to figure out the way through the temple. And he had a book... her mom and dad always used books to find out new things...

She climbed up to the pedestal and started to tug on the book. Maybe they could read it...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:22 pm 

The Book slid out of the statues grasp, a puff of dusk coming off of it as it fell into Claires hands. On the front, in big friendly letters, it Read: Don't Panic. It was a little heavy for a book even of it;s side, and seemed to have no individual pages- instead it simply opened, revealing a black sort of surface inside...

Frederik gasped, and buffeted his wings. "Oy! That looks loik th' Artifacts we found once! Th' Inexplicably Magicless Ones..."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:28 pm 

Claire frowned, poking the black surface. "The what? Artifact? How does it work?" She turned the book upside-down, held it up to her ear, and shook it. Maybe there was something inside it?

Hmmm... She nibbled on the edge of it, irritated. How did this thing work?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:31 pm 

Lady Emily crowds in for a closer look. "How odd, a book without pages, or words. If it's magic, perhaps we just...talk to it?"
Addressing herself to the inatimate object (and feeling slightly silly) she clears her throat.
"How do we open the doors?"
Jackie nods approvingly at Claire's quick burst of insight. "Smart. But if the book thingy doesn't answer, I'm dumping dirt on the scale. If I remember right, that god had some kind of obsession with dirt, or earth."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:32 pm 

Words appeared on the Screen, in bright, pleasing colors.

'Welcoe TO the GuIdE. THe Guide Worlks via v-voice Access. Merely speak a question, or key pphrase, and we will enDeavor to ansWer your question.' it replies, making a smily face appear on it's surface.

'W-w-wh-what would you LIKE to know, SIr or Madame or BLANK'.

At Chics question, it made an image of a Clock.

'Clarify DOOR.'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:37 pm 

As she was gnawing on the edge of the book, it started talking.

"AAAH!" Claire jumped, then looked at the book again. D-o-n-t-P-a-n-i-c... don't panic. Ok...

"Um... how do we open the door we want to get through? That door over there?" She pointed. "The door that's shut in the temple where we found this book?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:54 pm 

It;s image flickered a few times, still quietly glowing. It took a moment to assess a decent answer- it had been left alone for such a long time, and it;s power source was thin... but it would preform it;s duty. Lord Tinker looked on in fascination.

"D-d-Door is uSEDby the SCALE Scale conformed to r-r-random WEIGHT find a b-b-balance of the h-eart? Or: Query: Feather of Purity? M-mMY memory hAs deterioratEd..."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:57 pm 

Claire pondered for a moment. "We... we already balanced it, right? ...so the door must be open!"

Still carrying the book, she proceeded to walk toward the door. Franky hadn't screamed at her about it being evil yet, so it probably wasn't- Franky was smart...

Maybe she'd just walk *into* the door and see what happened... if it was unlocked, it would open, right? And she was sturdy enough she wouldn't get hurt...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 pm 

-Mikael-

"Hm... oh dear..." he looked up at the door. "Do you mean the scale tests the purity of the mortal heart against the weight of a feather? How fascinating..." he took a few steps back from the door. "I believe I'll allow all of you to handle this one. Of course, if you would prefer to simply blow up the door with some of the explosives I'm carrying, I believe we could arrange for some sort of wholesale discount..."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:15 pm 

Jackie walks over to Fredric. "Kid, could you possible spare one of your feathers? It can't hurt to try it. It won't be THE feather of purity that it's mentioned, but you're the youngest of us. It's worth a try, if you're willing."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 pm 

Fredrik nodded, and extended his wings out. He carefully examined them, and searched for a loose feather- finally finding one and fluttering up to the scale "Aye, thissin; moight work..." he said, nodding firmly. He set it carefully into the scale, where it sat for a moment...

With a sudden flash, the feather became a series of inexplicable obects- applebannanarubybrickbicycle- before settlin gon what appeared to be a gold ship- and the scales swung into place, perfectly even.

The doors swung open. The next room appeared to be totally dark- it would be hard for even the best eyesight to peer though the gloom. His Grace stepped forward, and peered out...

"Great- the lights are out ahead. Clair, and anyone *else* who can sniff- any smells?"

The only sound was of running water, and clattering wood- smells were overwhelimingly of mud, unless someone could smell exeedingly well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 pm 

"I'll try, Franky."

Claire walked through the door, advancing slightly into the dark room, the book-thing still under her arm, sniffing cautiously. Mud. More mud. Some mud. Lots of mud.

She took a deep breath, carefully trying to smell anything that might be interesting. Mud was boring. She was really hoping there was something interesting in there... And she didn't want to get all muddy, but it smelled like that was probably going to happen anyway.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 pm 

Jackie hangs back, and murmurs to Zeeroks. "Cast a light, or kindle a torch, or both. Yeah, I know light will make us dandy targets-but if there's anything in there, I'll wager it can sense us, and I don't fancy stumbling about in the dark and the muck."
Lady Emily draws her sword, and stands just inside the doorway, senses alert. Clattering wood and water? "A waterwheel, perhaps? We won't find out staying here. Can't go back, and this is the only way forward. Andrew? Zeeroks? Are we ready?"
Jackie grins, briefly. The lady sounds ready for battle. Well, good for her. Very softly-"Marius, I can't shadowstep where there's no shadows. But even just a small light, and I can scout ahead and pop back, if you like. Keep it in mind."
What an odd place-did the builders choose it because of the underground water, or did that come after? A very strange temple, indeed...

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:05 am 

After a series of deep sniffs, Claire managed to get something besides mud- and wood, and water. It seemed kind of like... smoke? It was distant, but it seemed to make it;s way through the other strong smells.

Lord Tinker nodded, and glanced at Tsiirox.
"If you could? I wish to be prepared if something comes up, and the fire spell is a little distracting."

"Sure...." he gave Jackie a little smile, as he typed up a series of runes- his clove projected a beam of light, that illuminated the room. The Mud was almost everywhere- there were a few thin, raised paths it hadn't touched. The cause was clear- Lady Emily was correct, and there was indeed a water wheel. A large one, with a strong mini-waterfall running over a raised wall, over the wheel, and into another pool of water- which was the cause of the mud. It seemed like the water was supposed to flow into a series of pools, but instead....

Debris had built up, and blocked the pool off until it just seeped ineffectually about. The wheel wasn't working quite right, either- it was hooked up to a series of gears and wheels, but several breaks had left most of it immobile. To the side of the Waterwheel Wall were two doors- one was open, and the other tightly shut.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:24 pm 

Jackie loads a bolt into her crossbow, and nods. "Right. Let's have a look."
She suddenly isn't there, reappearing in front of the open door on the other side of the room. And conveniently bypassing most of the mud, too!
Jackie peers through the open door, to see if she can catch a glimpse or sound of what lies beyond. Her weapon is pointed straight ahead. She won't go in-she's not THAT foolhardy. And depending on what she notices, she'll either reappear next to Zeeroks, or listen at the closed door, then go back.

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane smiled. "Aaaah... I was never all that patient," she said, striding forwards to the waterwheel, boots making no sound in the mud or on the paths. Examining the waterwheel, she nodded to herself.

"Yes... goes to... I see."

Examining the lower pools (now partially filled with Mud and water), Jane noticed complex engraving covering the inside of one, and a shiny object caught in the drain of another. Raising an eyebrow, Jane carefully looked around for traps, before examining the two objects of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:00 pm 

Claire fidgeted. Bored... hmm.

"I'm gonna go look at the other room. Come on, Franky!" She grabbed his arm and started tugging him across the room her boots thankfully protecting her feet from the mud and wet.

She pulled her glowy ball out of her bag. "Don't worry about us being able to see and stuff. This thing's pretty bright." She held it up, dispelling most of the shadows in the current room as she entered the next one. "And I want to figure out where the smoke is coming from."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:41 am 

The engravings were more or less meaningless to Jane, and the shining thing appeared to be on some kind of small chain- but lodged deep into a covering grate inside. Jackie sees a little dimness in the next room, and can almost make something out...

Before Claire strides forward, Franky in tow. Franky diddn't put up much resistance, untill...

"Ach! Ah hear somat! Claire, we should-!" In the darkness, something moved- and grasped Clairs arms in stony hands. Franky was grabbed by another hand, and he let out a squeak. Jackies eyes could see what was happening- odd statues had grasped the air, both carved of the same smooth stone as the walls. One was soft and rounded with an oversized head, and the other was square and blocky.

Andrew stepped forward.
"Franky! Are you alright?"

"Ai'hm fine.. jest trapped. Ai think thesre golems... runin outta magic, maybe."

Lord Tsiirox snarled, and carelessly stomped accross the mud to the waterwheel, lighting up his runes. "Golems! Damn... any ideas?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:16 am 

Jackie sighes, and placing her hands on her hips, addresses the trapped duo. "What's the point of me going ahead to scout if you're just going to barge ahead anyway?" Exasperated, she glowers a bit. "Franky, what if you suddenly shift to your smaller form? See if that'll let you wiggle free. But wait just a tic. Claire, I may be able to get you out of that...lemme talk to the Runelord a bit."
Jackie pulls Zeerocks aside. "I could grab her and shadowstep away. But, someone will have to protect me afterwards for a few minutes. See-just me, no problem, it's natural for me. And I can carry a little with me. But taking another person will be a strain, especially one of you lardbuckets. I'll be in no shape to defend myself, or run away, for a short while. And gods know what these golems will do if they're suddenly missing their prey."
"How bad off will that leave you?" Zeerocks asks. "And who are you calling a lardbucket?"
"Heh. It won't injure me, but it'll feel like I just ran a marathon. And we should time this so they escape simultaneously. If Franky shifting smaller doesn't work..." Jackie hesitates. "I could try the same thing on him, but someone would have to lug me around afterwards. So I really hope he can get out, or that someone else has a brilliant idea."
Not that she'd be much of a burden-shadowjacks are about half human density. But she'd rather not be helpless in the middle of a dungeon crawl, even for just a little while.
Lady Viktor is next to her cousin. "Andrew, do these golems have any marks on their foreheads? And can you fully illuminate that room?"
She could have him turn her sword into a battle hammer again, and start smashing the golems-if they didn't have captives. Grrrr....

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

Franky shifted small, and tried to drop down The squareish golem that held him had pretty clumsy limbs- and was too slow to catch him. Not that it diddn't try- Franky had to dart up and land on it;s head, where he industriously wiped the rune on it;s head clean. The round one had more articulated hands- and a firm, but not crushing, grip on Claire.

Lord Andrew nodded, and raised his hand- illuminating the room clearly. The mud had gotten in here, but once- it had been magnificent. Here the room was smooth, pure white stone in soft, impressive swirls- even under the age and curls of moss. Here the magic was a bit stronger- and left a crackle on the skin of any magic user.

"Hmm... I'm afraid these runes are unfamilliar to me. Perhapse-"

"Not to me." said Zerocks, stepping forward. He smiled at Jackie, shaking hsi head.

"I don;t want to risk your abilities here- I think these guys... just want to be fixed. Imagine how long they've been down here." he said quietly, before stepping a little closer to the one Fredric had wiped clean.

"This is Old Rune Coding- you still use it if you want to make a spell from the ground up. It;s so basic it;s... well, Basic. here used for more complex Golems..." he lit up his glove, and set up a long sting of circle and stick runes.

"01010111011010000110000101110100001000000110010001101111001000000111
10010110111101110101001000000111011101100001011011100111010000111111"

The round and square golems flashed with lights, and feeble returning runes appeared in response. This time, in Common.

"NEED... POWER... But... Oh... WHAT iS tHe PpppOInt?"

Last edited by SoItBegins on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:41 pm 

Claire squirmed. The golem was strong... "I don't have any power! And if you're the one asking for power, you should know what the point is! Can I go? This isn't very comfortable." Squirm, squirm, squirm... Prim seemed to know what he was doing, but she wanted out...

Well, Franky was smart. Maybe he'd have an idea. "Hey, Franky, do you know how to escape from a giant stone gollum that has you pinned, by any chance?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:25 pm 

Franky thought a moment, and stepped up to the golem holding her-transforming into his larger size. He carefully slid his hands under the golem's, and carefully pressed outwards. He had to strain, but after a moment it was forced to let Claire slide free. Fredric has to poof back to small- he diddn't have much energy left.

Xerox shrugged.

"Well, this room is a dead end- so we need that other door open. And these two probably know how to do that. What does everyone else think?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 pm 

Lady Emily stares with interest at the two golems. This isn't her baliwick at all..."Zeerocks, if you think these golems know how to get in the other room, by all means, let's ask. But...they need power? I thought golems were powered by the runes on their heads? What kind of power are they looking for?"
Jackie puts in her two coppers worth. "And would we want to power them up if we could? We don't know their primary purpose, if they'd be amicable to us...and even in their weakened state, they grabbed on to two of us fast enough."
Jackie takes advantage of the light to examine the room carefully. Dead end it may be, but that doesn't mean there's not anything here to find. She has a feeling they're going to have to fix the broken waterwheel before the door they need will open...
Lady Em examines the shut fast door, going as far to sniff around the edges. Is the faint smoke smell coming from behind the door?

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm 

"Thanks, Franky... Sorry about running ahead like that. Here." Claire picked up Franky, who was small again, and put him on her head so he didn't have to walk around.

"You need something to eat? I've got ration-bar-y things... sorry I already gave you the last of the liquid food the other day."

She picked up her glowy ball- dirt didn't seem to stick to it, fortunately, and tucked it back in her bag. She could use it if she needed to, but she liked the little glowy ball...

"So where do we get power, anyway? I don't think we can get any lightning underground... does anyone have some power crystals?" Pity she wasn't any good at magic, or she'd probably know what to do- but Prim was smart, and Lord Tinker seemed like he knew lots of magic stuff...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm 

-Mikael-

He grinned. "I... may have a few power crystals in stock. For reasonable prices, of course..."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm 

Xerox examined one of the golems, frowning. "Well... yeah, most Golems *should* be powered by their runes- but that takes a lot of work. And most of the people who knew how to do it best lived a long, long time ago." he explained, looking around.

"The easier way to do it is to hook them up to a nearbye power source. Magic, electricity, geothermal power, or even... kinetic energy..." he paused, and smiled.

"The waterwheel. I doubt it was their main power source... but it might have been a backup."

Franky shook his head, sitting on Claire's shoulder.
"Nad... ah' will just have t' wait. Otherwise, ah'l consume too much energy." he said, a little sadly. Well... he;d deal. That's all. Just... deal.

Andrew frowned at the Merchant. "My goodness... and here I was thinking unregistered power crystal sales were illegal."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:29 pm 

-Mikael-

He smiled, his grin going as wide as it possibly could. "Oh my, perhaps... and perhaps I don't happen to have any for sale at all..." he tilted his head. "I am, after all, a humble merchant. I would never want to do anything that would cause me to get on the wrong side of the law..." he paused, looking away. "Or perhaps I do have some, and they happen to be registered. You never know..."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm 

Claire ruffled Franky's hair, unconsciously moving to the other side of Prim from Mikael. Mikeal was scary...

"Are you sure? I have lots of food... I consume a lot of energy, too, but I can't go little so I just make sure to carry around extra all the time." Come to think of it, the golum had scraped her arm a bit... She took out a ration-bar and munched on it. "They're really high-energy... you sure you don't want them? Well, I certainly don't mind carrying you around all the time -it's actually kind of fun because I feel useful- when you're little, but it sounds like you prefer being big."

"Um... and I know a little bit about water-wheels and power and energy and stuff... Mom and Dad made me learn about them..." Of course, she was sure the Lord would know all about them, and the Lady, too, and Franky, and Prim certainly did... but maybe she could help carry stuff or something.

And unregistered power crystals were illegal? She hadn't known that... lucky she didn't use magic, or she might get in trouble for it...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am 

Frednky smiled, and fuzzed Claire's hair. "Ach, ah like bein' little too- only 's *havin* t' be little thet grates a bit." he explained, flopping over to lay against her shoulder, ears flopped.

"If ah could just be beeg when ah need t' be..."

Primarius sighed, and grabbed one of the little buns ears, making it stand back up again.

"We will. Once we get out of here, okay? Claire- you said you knew about these kinds of power sourses... can you help fix the water wheel? And if we can find the prior power source..."

Lord Tinker raised an eyebrow, curious. "You seem concerned, your grace."

"Well, I mean, it;d be too sad to leave these guys to die here..."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next