Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Claire blinked. Maybe everyone else was busy and stuff...

"Ok. Come on, Franky."

Back in the other room, she surveyed the wheel. "Umm... I guess we can wait to clear the debris-" it looked wet... "- but we want those gears all running properly. It looks like some are missing... maybe if we look around a bit we can find them?" She didn't really want to dig through the mud, but maybe they had fallen in among the other gears and gotten stuck... that probably would have caused more gears to pop out or break...

She set to work examining the gear train, to see if there was anything she could easily fix immediately.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm 

Franky nodded, and shrugged off hsi little vest- leaping into the muck neatly. he began to scrabble and burrow about, searching for the missing gears and broken pieces. he found one or two, and neatly stacked them up- now all but burrowing in the much.

The initial damage was rather bad, but some of the gears were just loose- and were easy enough to clip back into place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 am 

Lady Emily sighes. "I don't know anything about repairing waterwheels, but show me what to do, and I'll help." She's rather do heavy lifting than dig in the muck...ew.
Jackie busies herself examing the room, the walls-looking for anything sneaky or hidden. "Hmm...underground rivers, a pool, a waterwheel...this isn't just a old temple that was flooded with the passing of time. Whatever built it likes water, and took full advantage of it. Claire, let me ask the book a question?"
Claire is busily working on the gear train, examining the gears and parts as Franky unearths them and stacks them up by her. But Jackie is soon holding the odd artifact they're calling a 'book'....though it's like no book she's ever seen.
Feeling self concious, she clears her throat. "Okay-tell us about the builders of this temple complex, or whatever this place is..."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 am 

Claire frowned, concentrating. This gear goes here, this one over here... Some of them were easy enough to put back where they belonged.

She took the ones Franky had found- "Thanks, Franky." -and tried to figure out where they went. This could go over here, and this one here? If she connected it wrong, the gear train wouldn't run...

Hm. She'd done as much as she could for the moment...

"Franky, do you see any more gears around? If it got stuck and then broke, they might've gone flying pretty far-"

Oh, she should probably check to make sure nothing was jamming the gears anywhere along the line. She started examing all the places where the gears contacted, turning the ones she could to make sure everything would run smoothly. Something could have gotten stuck between two gears, or one gear could have gotten stuck on the rod or against the wall...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:21 am 

Jackie repeats her question for the book-thing Claire took from the statue. "Tell us about the builders of this temple complex."
The book glows briefly, flickering, and a stuttering mechanical voice replies.
"W-we're sOrrY. tHe num-ber yOU haVe r-reach-ed is noT in sErviCe a-at th-thIs tiME..."
"Pah." She wrinkles her nose, and hands the book back to Claire. Serves her right, expecting a straight answer from a mystical artifact. No secret doors that she can find-and she'll leave the waterwheel repair to Claire and Frankie.
There's something gleaming in the mud, where Franky has been digging around for gears. Jackie carefully steps over, and her eyes catch another glint. She plunges her hand into the muck, and retrives a tiny glass bottle, of cobalt blue. Any label it once bore has long since worn away. Hmm, probably dropped out of someone's pocket, years and years ago. Stopper's still intact.
She holds it up to the light-yes, it looks about half full. Could be anything from poison, to a magic potion, to John the Herbalist's Sure Fire Hemmaroid Cream. Jackie wraps it up carefully. She knows all about transporting tiny trinkets. And sees Zeerox watching her...
Shrugging, she winks at him.
Hmm...maybe Jane could identify the contents. She's sneaky-and almost certainly a fellow Two-er. Jackie casually shows Jane her find. "Jane, you know this stuff. Any ideas?"
Lady Viktor is on guard. It wouldn't do to be lax-what with most the others wrapped up in their projects. And if they suddenly start that waterwheel, heaven knows what'll happen.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked carefully at the little bottle, tapping the glass, holding the vial to catch what light there was, and finally removing the stopper and taking a tiny sniff. Then, she replaced the cork and nodded.

"Well!" she said, looking appreciatively at the contents, "I never thought I'd see one of these again."

"What is it?" Jackie asked.

"It's a very rare potion, called the 'Dangerous Nectar of Nine Lives'. Great stuff. It'll resurrect you 8 times if you die.... but there's a catch: while the potion's influence watches over you, you automatically become a magnet for odd luck, weird luck, strange luck, twists of fate, and adventures— or misadventures— in general. Quite amusing to watch used, but the results are... unpredictable."

She paused a second. "You might want to keep it— it could come in handy."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm 

Xerox stood in next to Claire, examining the mechanisms to see if he could help. As more gears were slotted in, the mechanism began to move- and as the Duke dialed in his gauntlet, a missing bit of gear was carefully formed with green light.

The whole thing swung into movement, the water now powering the machine. With a hum, the water began to glow- a soft light that spread up the walls- and the locked door opened with a click.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:31 pm 
Hyperkeeper

What lay behind the door? Would the Nectar be of use? Could our brave adventurers find the secrets of the strange and odd dungeon they found themselves passing through?

Unfortunately, history does not record the outcome. But, one day, perhaps another party of brave adventurers would discover what had come before...

...for it would be of the utmost importance in the upcoming conflict for the fate of the world.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19