Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Madde Alchemy Wars: The Cauldron of Elementals
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am 
Established Mad Scientist

Ivan popped the stiches and pulled the burning sleeve from his shoulder. Luckily the fire seemed relatively contained in the burning pitch.

Ivan gains fire whip.

Since this is hardly a situation for a towel fight, he whirls the flaming sleeve in a wide circle, obscuring the size and location from the group from the cowled lizards.

"I don't suppose I need to tell you, Nary-a-mercy, but we are currently bait. They're hoping we struggle loud enough to attract that big predator. But these "keepers" must have a side passage to escape down, something safer than that wooden platform if the flames try to follow us..."

"...I'd normally say look for it, but you're the one who knows coercion spells. If they've got enough fireworks to wake a dragon, they either have a way to control it or the dragon is in charge. Look for that, it'll mean the difference between running from dragon grunts or into a lizardman chief.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:59 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Lady V smiles grimly. "We fight-and we start with those three. If we're going forward, they're in our way. If we're going back-we don't want them on our tail lobbing things at us."
With that, she takes out the nasty looking whip she liberated from the torture display, and snaps it at the lizard in black. CRACK! As it wraps around his forelimb, she gives a mighty jerk, pulling him off his feet. The diminuative swordswoman is stronger than she appears...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:21 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

A couple stones from the ground and Atrius is armed. He flings the stones at the lizardmen but there isn't room to spin his sling for a more powerful shot.

(With that horde advancing I'm going to have to bareknuckle it anyway. I just hope I don't get to worked up. That melting stuff's really getting at my nose.)

"Grrr, we'll have to fight through them all if we want to get our stuff."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm 
Heh heh heh.

As the lizards focused on the group in front of them, they didn't notice Jane coming out of the shadows. A string of blows hit one of the grey-robed lizardmen, who turned-- and exposed himself to the combined efforts of the rest of the group. Frantic, he turned again, and met Jane's foot coming the other way.

One almost down. One in the process of receiving a thorough beating by Lady Viktor. And the third...

...had thrown a nasty-looking fireball in Jane's direction. Jane tried to avoid it, but only dodged right into it.

As Jane scurried around trying to put out the flames, she could see more lizards running towards the group. This wasn't good...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 am 

Claire grabbed the wizard. "You're the magic-user. Can you deal with the one throwing fireballs?" She turned to David, speaking quickly. "You need to figure out where we're going. We need a plan as soon as possible." Next, she turned to the rabbit, still holding the spear. "Come on- you and I can try to hold of most of the lizardman hoard while they think, ok? Can you use a spear, or do you need the knife?" She held up the butcher's knife she had taken. "I'm not sure your claws have enough range, but it's your decision. Let's go!" She pushed him to the front of the group, toward the oncoming lizardmen, avoiding the fireballs. "Lady, can you help us?" The Lady had been good at brawling in a large group the night before...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:06 pm 

David listened to Ivan and tilted his head. "Hmm... good idea. Side passage...side passage..." He looked around. "Hmm... hmm..." Something glinted in a nearby corner. "Hmm... there!" He darted at it and grabbed at something. "Hey everyone! There's a little passageway down this way! We can hold them off here!" He waved for everyone nearby, deftly skewering a Lizardman alchemist who charged at him. "This passage goes down somewhere! I don't exactly know how far or deep, but it looks like a subcave or something!"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 am 
Hyperkeeper

Rand charged in, swinging the chain at impossible-to-dodge speeds. The mounting bracket at the end, flying around like a square ball and chain, was devastating. No lizard required more than one hit before they fell, or flew, right over the edge.

Rand moved out, bringing himself further into the mass of lizards. Weapons breezed past him, fireballs scorched his clothing, lightning bolts earthed themselves on his--

...wait, lightning bolts?

Ten seconds later, Rand was doing a rather impromptu dance, the 'Electrical Samba'. To make matters worse, the lizardmage casting the bolts was behind a group of lizards with strange spears. What to...?
Ah.

Rand couldn't be sure, but he thought the chains they had been in were made to absorb most attempts to break them with magic. If his guess was right...

As the lizardmage launched another lightning bolt, Rand threw the chain at the mage. It was a long shot, but he didn't need to aim-- as soon as the chain hit the bolt, it homed in along it like a trained bird. The mage got a faceful of electrically charged iron. However, now he was without a weapon.

Though losing focus in a battle was a bad idea, Rand's thoughts decided to drift back to Jane Narbon. By now, he had a bit of a reputation. He always completed his job at any cost, and he was hard to defeat under normal circumstances. So why had his client said that, with Jane Narbon-- ?!??!!.

A fierce blow to the gut shattered the thoughts. Focus. Right. Battle. yeah. Right.
He needed to train a bit more once all this was over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm 

This is kinda fun. Locke positioned himself to aid rand with his spear. One lizardman tried to poke a hole through Locke with a sword but he used deflected the thrust with the spear and hit the sword out of the lizardman's hand. The lizardman was clutching his hand, obviously in pain when Locke drove the spear through it's heart.

Before he could pull the point out of the lizardman, Locke ducked to avoid a spell. "Those casters are really cramping my style! Can anyone get behind the front lines and take them out or something? We need to take them out before we hide ourselves in a possible dead end." If the side passage was a dead end.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:43 am 

"The scout is under fire," Ivan shouted at Locke's request, "And the wizard is... lost in thought..."

He could see why: Fireballs left a "con-trail" in the air when they passed, sort of like the wake left by a fast ship. Trickskis and dolphins might enjoy jumping around it, but it made the waters "choppy" for the delicate "research vessels."

"I mean they're... fighting a mental battle against those casters! There are some nearby who are trying to take control of your minds with subtle magics so they don't have to risk their own troops to kill the rest of us!" Dang it, why is it always the healers who get stuck playing go-between for the fighters and the casters!? "He's currently engaged in pitched battle on the psychic planes, and the rabbit boy and the woman caster are assisting him, so just work your spear arms while they're still yours to move!"

Dang it, dang it, dangNABBIT! Their force is now, not only outnumbered, but divided! Two of the women are fighting the triplets, with Clairȇ soon to join them. Meanwhile, "Taren" took most of the melee men down that side passage, apparently following my suggestion! Of the people remaining at the elevator we have the two casters, their two guardians, a ranged fighter, and me, fat lot of good *I* do! We're hosed if they break through either side...

Speaking of which, both Rand and Jane are already hit! I'm a doctor, my priority is supposed to be the wounded. Rand is still moving and will probably head for Jane as soon as he can. Meanwhile, Jane is... Oh #$%$#! Oh #$%, @$#!, %&#$&!!!

When a poison user went up in smoke, the air could be unbreathable for MILES! He'd seen it happen! This cave was NOT well ventilated enough for Jane to be anywhere near on fire! He promised the first thing he'd do on reaching the surface, he was going to throw her in a @#$ lake!

"ExcuseMeSorryI'llBeRIGHTBack!" He said in a rush as he snatched the knife from Clairȇ's hand, spun it in his fingers, ran the blade up her sleeve, and ran off taking both the sleeve and the knife. Yeah he'd done this before, for bandages and parties. The burning sleeve was already tucked into the back of his buckskin pants. You could say a lot of things about leather and animal skin, but it didn't BREATH. I therefore made a lousy filter, which was why he needed Clairȇ's sleeve to tie over his blowholes. But he couldn't just abandon his other sleeve...

As he ran twoards the triplets, the remaining lizardmage intoned the dragonic language and tossed a fireball at Ivan. He doged, did a fair imitation of what the lizardman just said, and tossed his burning sleeve at him. The lizardman intoned the words that would clear the spell. But there was no spell to clear, and the sleeve hit him full in the face. Lady Viktor, seeing his distraction, spun to kick the reptile over the cliff. Then she turned her full attention on the last of her enemies, grinning evily...

Ivan hoisted Jane up into a fireman's carry. The still smoldering parts of her were pressed against him, effectively smothering them. Like most people who actually give the shots, Ivan's skin was especially sensitive to needles and the like. If there were large amounts of ash, liquids, or powders, it would create slippage as he wiggled his shoulders under the pretense of adjusting to her weight. Dear god, didn't this girl ever EAT? She was light as if SHE'd been the one wasting away from her poisons. He felt the small lumps about where you'd expect them to be, but it seemed none of Jane's poisons had caught fire. "You're still getting a bath when this is over..." he muttered under his breath.

The mask probably muffled his voice, so he shouted slowly and clearly to the Lady of the Brawl, "To the side passage! We'll have a better chance if they're all coming to us, from one direction!" He ran off despite any protests. Jane would probably elbow his head out normally, but they were running rather close to the cliff...

"Shepherd!" he shouted to Atrius, "Start herding these people forward!"

With his free hand, he threw the butcher's knife for all he was worth at the lizardmage. Even if it missed, it would provide a delay in the spell barrage so that "Taren" and Locke could surge forward. Rand, upon seeing Jane was now coming to him, grabbed the sword from the lizardman Locke just skewered and rejoined the fight in earnest. Claire was... reasonably upset that Ivan threw her knife rather than return it nicely, but now she had new motivation to fight her way through the lizardmen. I'm a motivator :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 am 

Claire snarled. She had *liked* this shirt. And now she didn't have the knife and she'd given the rabbit her spear. Yes, she had her claws, but how was she supposed to block with them without getting her fingers sliced off? And it wasn't like she had her coat to absorb damage...

She started to fight her way through the lizardmen, trying to get to the knife. She had to move quickly to dodge their attacks. This group did not seem to be good for combat. At least when she worked with an army the soldiers generally knew what they were doing. Perhaps after she got the knife she could concentrate on trying to herd everyone into at least some sort of formation less likely to get killed.

But she wanted the knife back, first. Slashing at the lizardmen- she needed more practice fighting with her claws, but she was getting it now- she slowly pressed forward.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 pm 

-The Fight-

The prolonged battle was beginning to take it's toll. People with limited equipment and endurance were up against a lot of enemies with strength and magic.

It didn't look good. In the middle of the fray, Rand noticed something glinting down the passage the group had taken a position in. Something farther off in the darkness, that no one would have ever noticed if it weren't for a stray bolt of fire that had whizzed past everyone's heads into the shadows.

Equipment. Distinctly familiar equipment...

The things that nearly everyone had lost (except for the things belonging to "Taren") had all been piled up in a heap in a small circular cavern all the way at the back of the alcove. Although no one could see it, there was something written on a wall in the language of the lizardfolk: "Kal'azdek nu monev", loosely translated as "To be cataloged later."

Things were looking up.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:25 am 
Hyperkeeper

Rand blinked. Surely...? But he recognized that sword. "Hey!" he bellowed at the others, pointing down the passage. "Our equipment's down there!"

Seeing him yell, the group began to move over towards the cage full of equipment, Rand leading the way with the chain in his hand. Equipping oneself took a while, so it would have to be only one or two people at a time while the rest held the lizards off.

And Jane was going to go last.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 pm 

Lady V joins the dash down the side passage to their stuff. But first-she picks up a fallen foe, heaves him up, and lobs him at the encroaching lizardmen. It knocks some of them down, and buys them a precious few minutes to arm themselves. One on the left managed to avoid the incoming package.
Lady V grins, stoops to grab a rock, and beans it at him, thus picking up the spare.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:09 pm 

Claire reaches the equipment and starts to look through it. She quickly found her ax- it was rather large, after all. She also managed to find her coat without too much difficulty. She grinned as she slipped it on- padded chainmail that was almost as flexible as regular cloth, but offered a lot more protection. It was heavier, of course, but that wasn't really a problem for her and made it more difficult to steal.

As she was about to leave to give someone else a chance to search, she spotted something shoved in a corner. Her pack! She'd figured it was probably lost. Not very useful at the moment, but it still had a decent number of the barely-edible ration-bricks from the army, not to mention a few extra knives and some other trinkets.

Hoisting her ax almost effortlessly, she slipped past the rest of the party toward the lizardmen. The passage was narrow- she could probably hold off any that made it through for long enough that everyone else could equip themselves. She bared her teeth at the oncoming hoard in a vicious smile. Today was turning out better than she had expected.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:25 am 

There, in the pile. Atrius snatched up a small silvery trinket and stuffed it in his pocket quickly. His sling was in the pile too, but there was no time to look for the small item amongst all of the larger weapons.

He turned and ran forward to the line they were holding in the tunnel. He jumped right over it...

(Oh goddess, not now. Anything BUT THIS NOW!)

He threw himself at the lizardmen, pounding the first into a pulp and using him as a club to beat others with. He snarled and twisted. He kicked and bit. And generally thrashed them.

His eyes turned a silver color and-(NO! NO NO! STOP!) Okay, rather, nothing else changed as he cut a swath through the lizardmen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:50 am 
Hyperkeeper

As soon as a few of the others had had their chances, Rand ducked in and searched the pile of equipment. He found his pack easily enough, and his armor wasn't hard to locate either (it was extremely heavy.) However, even after putting all that on, he couldn't find the really important item.

Then he spotted it. His sword.

As he grabbed the long, sharp blade, no flare of light ran up it. No magical emanations could be detected. However, Rand suddenly felt whole. Complete, as if he hadn't been fully there without it.

A grin appearing on his face for no sane reason, he charged out against the lizard men. Magic earthed itself on his sword, and Rand seemingly couldn't be stopped.
He was back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 pm 

"Taren" fell back once his turn came and rooted through the pile for his stuff. "Darn...darn... the scrolls isn't here... neither is Sister's seashell necklace either... here's my old sword and shield, my coinpurse, and the armor I was wearing, but my backpack's not here and neither is my signet ring. That's a small favor, at least... wouldn't be good for anyone to see me taking that." He quickly began to suit up, slightly disheartened but determined to help people if he could.

He exited the crevice wearing a rusty chain shirt and clutching a battered metal shield, both of which showed signs of wear and tear. Then he started to despair. Even with all their equipment, the numbers they faced were daunting. He sighed, biting his lip nervously. "I was hoping not to have to do this... but I can't in good conscience put these people in more danger if I have any means of protecting them."

In the middle of the melee, he closed his eyes. Tuning out the din of the battle around him, he looked deep within himself, dwelling on his faith in the Gods and calling upon a Power greater than himself. He tried hard to focus, drawing out the single scrap of divine power he had left and shaping it in his mind. He raised his sword into the air.

"brillar."

From his sword emerged a brilliant white light, illuminating the entire cave and everything inside it. The light itself was hardly supernatural at all: it did nothing beyond what light ordinarily did, and wasn't even particularly intense. It didn't burn at the skin of the unbeliever, nor did it heal those who were wounded. It was merely light, and the only thing magical about it was in how it was created.

But to cave dwelling creatures that subsisted in dark environments, it was blinding. The lizardmen, confused and aggrivated, attempted to fall back, shading their eyes with their hands and trying in vain to hit the source of the light. "Taren", sweating profusely and panting loudly, kept his eyes shut. His swordarm wobbled as he tried to keep it held up. "Did it work? I can't see anything..." Gods above, he'd forgotten how DRAINING it was to...

One large clump of lizardmen, regrouping a short distance away at one of the alchemical stations they had built around the underground canyon, hissed at each other as they began grabbing bottles. Several of them began to mumble arcane words and gesture cryptically...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm 

Lady V hears Taran's cry of "did it work?" She sprints forward, and pauses by him to murmur, "Indeed it did, Sir paladin." Continuing her rush forward, she sweeps as many blinded lizardmen as possible over the edge of the pit.
The sight of the gathering of chanting lizardmen at the alchemical apparatus soon has her gritting her teeth. She has no distance weapon to use against them, and surely Taran will be their target. Resolving to protect him, she pulls back to him, laying about her with her sword.

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 am 

Locke saw his chance to grab his equipment. Which consisted of a backpack full of supplies and his crafted spear that was given to him as a gift. The spear was not all that special and only the the carving of a proud wolf on the blade made it stood out. Locke discarded the lizard spear and joined the battle with his own spear.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 pm 

"Ah, is it not most joyous to breathe again the air of our home dimension, Ingrid?" Dana Amino the Mildly Terrible asks.

"Indeed, madam," Ingrid of Minshire replies.

"Yes, I myself had grown worried we might never again see our beloved plot again. Curse that foul writer of ours," Amino mutters, "Such a slothful and stupid being, believing that the fact this is a mere side story means she can abandon us so wickedly by never posting..."

Dark clouds suddenly appear in the sky, and thunder rumbles ominously. A furious voice growls from above, Dana....

At this Amino suddenly says loudly, a frightened look on her face, "I mean, curse those Plot Gremlins, who had taken us deep into their Tunnels of Endless Unreality, thus removing us from the story by no fault of our benign and caring writer!"

"Madam?" Ingrid asks. The madam was listening to voices again.

"Come, Ingrid! Let us go far away from here, the site where the Plot Gremlins conveniently deposited us, and locate someone who might explain what is happening at this point in time. The portents tell me we have no time to lose!"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:39 pm 

As she walks into town, Dana Amino the Mildly Terrible speaks to her companion, "Heed my words carefully, Ingrid, and I shall instruct you on the manner in which any canny plot-tracker locates the elusive plot! The first step we must take on our journey is to locate...a tavern!"

"A tavern, madam?" Ingrid of Minshire stammers.

"Indeed, Ingrid. As any skilled plot-tracker knows, is that every adventure story of medieval nature convenes at a tavern at every available opportunity so as to acquire new characters and quests. And thus, that is where we shall find our plot!" She poses triumphantly, fist raised in the air.

"But, madam," Ingrid says nervously, "the last time we went to a tavern, didn't it collapse?"

"..." Amino scowls, reluctantly lowering her fist. She recollects her composure and smiles. "A fair point, Ingrid! Visiting a tavern seems an ill choice at this moment." Her expression turns grim. "This means we must rely on a different method to locate our quarry. I warn you Ingrid, that this path is not for the faint of heart. Very few have taken on this challenge and lived to tell the tale."

"Madam?" Ingrid squeaks.

"Yes, Ingrid. We must...converse with the NPC's!!" The storm clouds conveniently following the two rumble ominously again.

Meanwhile, in an OOC side thread parallel to this dimension, Sarcastic is very annoyed.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 pm 
Heh heh heh.

After a number of the others had taken their stuff away, Jane searched through the pile, trying to find her equipment. A minute went by. She couldn't find any of it. Crud. Jane got up, trying to get a better look at the pile. What had happened to--

As Jane stood, she noticed an alcove farther back behind the pile. Her equipment was placed there, with a large sign in front of it. She couldn't read Lizard, but she could guess what it said.
A smirk came over her face. It was always the same. "DANGER! POISON! DO NOT TOUCH!"

Stepping over the rope the sign hang from, Jane knelt by the pile and checked her equipment. It looked as if everything was still there. Good.

Jane picked up her knives first, sliding them back into the sheaths bound into her clothing. The cloak came next-- its flexibility and coloring concealed the fact that it was really woven armor, able to block almost anything that wasn't sharp with a magical edge.
Finally, Jane picked up the many "supplies" she normally kept on her-- lock picks, a selection of 'prepackaged' magical stones enchanted for everything from confusion spells to time-delayed explosions, and the herbs and powders that did things only she knew. With those in their resting places and her pack on her back... wait.

One thing was missing, a piece of jewelry that the lizardmen must have snatched out of her pack before the traps triggered. A necklace, with a fine, almost invisible chain and a tiny gold token on the end. Jane set out to rejoin the group, thinking dark thoughts.

No doubt the thing was on the dragon's hoard, and Jane didn't plan to leave until she had it back.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 pm 

Ivan, meanwhile, lay in a heap with the med-kit he now desperately needed. He'd have to remember that one. Not that he wanted to be on this end of it again, but it was always interesting finding out which organs could make a corner.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:18 am 

Atrius took the lizardmen's heads and slammed them together. Fighting with your hands is not hard. You just have to resist the urge to punch someone. Your fist is almost guaranteed to break.

Working off of instinct Atrius did not need to resist the urge to punch. He moved fluidly from one attack to the next. When he could he disoriented the lizardmen enough to give the defensive line an easy shot. Other times he just knocked them out-which was admittedly less permanent. This was of course nothing compared to the battle going on within him.

(NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! I have to calm DOWN.) It was easy to resist then, the struggle was being lost, but it was easier than at other times. That is, he was losing, but he was doing better than he would have at other times.

Atrius' claws raked right through a lizardman's armor. "NO!" he said aloud. His claws vanished again. (I can't have evidence of this. It is enough for them to kill me, and they must trust me for a little longer at least.) He grabbed the body and plunged it into a jet of fire being directed by one of the lizardmen magicians.

Rational thought left him again and he threw the flaming corpse at the magician. Again instinct took over and he moved fluidly into a kick.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:59 pm 

Fredric had gone quiet during the fighting, taking teh offered spear and cutting a swath through as many Lizardmen as he could.
"Spear's fine- a bloody *sword*'d be prefferable, 'r a hammer. Summat *big*."

Lord Andrew was more silent, concentrating firmly- he diddn't *do* fireballs, actiually, but his own brand of magic was *more* than enough. However between the lizardmen casters and the clash of battle, just maintaining the focus on his spells and on his whirling knives was difficult enough, let alone contributing any conversation. As he threw each dagger, a brief sparkle of magic sent it back into his hands, ready to be thrown or slashed again.

Suddenly, a spark of recondition... an aura in the air... his stuff! He abandoned his battle, and dove into the alcove. It was only a brief search, before a flash of red swirled around him, glowing with power as the protective spells woven into the cloth settled over him again. Reaching intyo a pocket, he pulled out something much, *much* too large to fit in any normal pocket...

"Frederik! Catch!"

Frederik turned, and caught the thrown object smoothly. It was a sword- and not just any sword, but a Claymore longer than he was tall. Not particularily magic, or even that sharp... but in Frederik's hands, it diddn't *need* to be.

As for Lord Tinker, he let the knives gathered from before fall into the recsesses of a pocket, and took out a handful of what looked like.... twine?
"To answer your earlier question dear, I'm not a fireball person. I prefer ... *smaller* magiks." his hand moved, and the string lept into the air around him, suddenly looking rather sharp....

He dove at teh alchemists, grabbing the string turned garroting wire in hand. One lizard-alchemist fell almost instantly, throat slit open.
"Ha-HAH! I think not... Frederik, cover us would you?"

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm 

-Dana Amino the Mildly Terrible-

"Hey Bob... lookitthat." Jim pointed.

Bob turned to look at the approaching oddly-dressed pair. "Huh. Looks like sum o'them Adven-tur types."

Jim put his hands in torn pockets. "Welp, don' that beat all."

"Yew know what that means, brother, don't ye?"

"Uh-huh. I'll go running into town to let everyone know that we's gots to raise prices by 45% to accommodate all the loot they're prolly bringin' from onea'dem dungeons. O'wise they'll be devalu'n our fragile town e'conomy." He turned to run into town.

"Don' ferget to tell 'em to start chargin' fer rumors an' cryptic mutterin's 'n such. No harm in too much money, bro." Bob chuckled and went back to his fields, now confident in the sense that in less than an hour he'd probably be selling his rutabagas for about 2 gold a piece.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Gang in the Dragon's Den-

"Taren" blanched and sighed. "Ah... Miss... I, uh, don't know what you're talking about..." He was a terrible liar. He was just glad in the din of battle only he and Lady V had managed to hear him mangle that fib. He kept his arms held high as the others pressed forward against the surprised lizardman horde.

Locke pressed forward, fighting with a vengeance, and bringing the death to several lizardmen who got in his way. Atrius, too, fought aggressively against both the lizardmen and his own internal struggle, currently tuning out the voice that was still pestering him from the back of his head.

The group was making a strong showing of themselves... and then something went terribly wrong. Rand charged forward, pressing furiously against several unfortunate lizardmen apocatharies near the rim of the underground canyon. Slaying one with a single swing, he watched as the creature fell against the table of volatile chemicals, knocking over several vials and causing their contents to pool on the table proper.

Then they exploded.

Rand was flung off the rim of the canyon, plunging downward and landing in one of the pools of acid around the Dragon's island. While the the explosion and the fall themselves didn't kill him, the acid certainly was up to finishing the job. Rand died, inexplicably and abruptly.

And then the Black Dragon yawned loudly and began to stir. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH..." It's mouth, with rows and rows of teeth sharper than knives popped open and then shut as it sat up. "Mmm...what's with the loud noises. Keep it down, guys. I'm trying to stay in a torpor here." It raised a scaled paw, pointing a claw up at David's enlightened sword. Hanging from that claw, snared in some of it's scales, was a small necklace that looked rather familiar to Jane, even from a distance. Abruptly the light vanished. "An' turn that nightlight off, kay?" It lay back down and settled back down to sleep, as the emboldened and no longer blinded lizardmen began to move forward again...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-A little bit after that...-

Rand opened his eyes. Everything around him was white, and there was nothing around him but a pure, shapeless white void. He didn't quite remember how he got here, but all his equipment had followed him, along with his sword.

A woman laughed somewhere far away: it was a high pitched, almost regal laugh. Abruptly he became aware that there was someone behind him.

"Mmm hmm hmm hmm... so you've jumped off your mortal coil. How amusing. Now then... before you get any funny ideas about violence or somesuch nonsense, let me be frank: I am a shinigami and you currently exist only in my realm. Attempting to kill me and escape would be akin to attempting to dry up the ocean by spitting at it."

The speaker was suddenly in front of him. A short woman, about 5' 2" at best, with short, neat black hair pulled back and tied into a ponytail. She was floating off the ground, and clad only in a black leather ensemble that clung tightly to her body. In her hands was a large, ominious-looking scythe, which was standard issue for the job. She smirked. "As you might have guessed, I am Sarcastyx, the goddess of death, also known as the unworshipped demigod. Ordinarily this is the part where I shoo you off to whatever afterlife you've earned for yourself. But today I'm apparently supposed to do things a bit differently..." She folded her arms and tilted her head, smiling almost pleasantly towards him. "You're apparently a 'fated figure' of some sort, and thus I'm supposed to offer you a chance to rejoin your fellow mortals down on that planet you call home. So tell me, mortal... are you willing to gamble your soul?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 am 

"A dragon. Why did it have to be a dragon?" Lady V mutters. Her eyes widen, as Rand falls to his doom. No! Sure, the odds are overwhelming, but to lose such a warrior so soon?
She'd been enjoying herself. As a swashbuckler, she's always thrilled to face such a challenge. But now...her face sets in grim lines.
"Do not worry, 'Taran'. I will say naught, but I fear the others will guess despite my silence. I gave my word I would aid you, and I shall. I often take missions for my lady, the Duchess of Risk, and will not ask you to divulge your secrets."
She takes in the battle at a glance. Fredric is wielding that claymore like it's weightless, and her cousin is gleefully dispensing his small but deadly clever magics. Good.
Running isn't an option. Not with all of lizardom hot on their trail, into unknown caverns, where they'd soon be herded by the denizens into an even worse spot.
Her sword becomes a blur. Lunge, pierce foe, repeat. Her other hand grasps a short lenght of broken spear, which she casually uses to parry blows.
She sticks closes to the pala..., er, Taran, guarding him. That bit with the glowing sword seems to have drained him. Glowing sword...
"Cousin!" She cries. "Remember the bar? Can you do that to my sword again?"
A flaming sword won't light the cavern, and will undoubtedly make her a target. Fine. But it'll be a most excellent weapon against their foes.
If Andrew can do it.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:57 am 

Andrew flips over a group of lizardmen to reach his cousin, leaving a cloud of flying sharp things in his wake. He diddn't really relish this kind of combat, but when in the circumstances he was making do. Still, this black dragon would be something to tell the Commander about the next chance he had...

He landed next to his cousin, smiling cheerfully.
"I should be able to- I'll try and lengthen the duration some. What about you, Taran? I have enough power for two." he offered, making the movements to enchant Lady V's blade.

"...funny, anyone else smell holy magic residue? Well, that or peppermint." he said, idly sniffing the air. Notwhat you would expect down here... but it was certainly nice against all the acid-and-dragon stink.

Fredric took a step back, looking around him. What in the world was this all about, anyways? The dragon seemed to just want to sleep.... funny, if he was teh Lizard-men's leader, then maybe?

"Oy! 'ave we considered talkin' to th' dragon yet?"

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 pm 

Claire was enjoying herself- swinging her ax back and forth, dodging the lizardmen's attacks, and just having fun in general. She frowned at Fredric's question. "No, of course not. Don't be ridiculous. You talk to the dragon and then you find out it's just hungry, so it really isn't right to just kill it, but no one wants a dragon living nearby, regardless of the circumstances, so then they ask why you haven't killed the dragon and even if you tell them it'll pay for food they still get annoyed and think you're siding with it and then they try to kill you and sometimes the army gets called in and you have to run three kingdoms over and leave the poor dragon at the mercy of the army and know the poor thing got killed just 'cause everyone hates dragons and you feel horribly guilty." She slammed the ax handle savagely into a nearby lizardman, knocking him into another two. "When a dragon talks to you it's just lying because they like messing with people before they kill them, so it's better to kill it quickly- aim for right under the neck."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:55 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Rand took inventory. He seemed to have everything on him... including his sword. He checked the handle. Nothing, maybe a few nicks. Not enough. Hmm. How to play this, then?
He decided to go for cheeky.

"No," Rand said, smiling, "but I am ready to move it-- got an oxcart ready and everything."

He paused, then delivered the punchline.

"That'll be twenty gold pieces, please."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next