Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:38 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Ricerca snorted slightly, chuckling t the nickname. 'Doc'? She sounded like some corny delinquent in an old movie...
"First of all if you call me 'Doc', I'm going to retaliate by calling you Butch." he informed her, tapping her on the head.
Xerox chuckled, covering his mouth and looking away. He *liked* this guy...

"And I think that It doesn't make a difference, medically.... but from Commander Xerox's *psychological* history, he has a high risk of 'lone wolf' behavior when injured. You know... hiding in some corner by himself to lick his wounds." he said matter of factly, looking around. Where had Older Brother gone to?

-As a Matter of Fact...-
The grass still waved about somewhere in the fields of memories... there were a lot of them. Xerox had found a lot of peace in the prairie... where the horizons were endless, there were no trees, and the snow in the winter was clean and white.
And so long as there was someone to take care of, the terrible feeling that he had left someone behind wouldn't bother him anymore.

Older brother walked along, at a steady pace. After an amount of time impossible to judge,the grass and sky slowly vanished into a sort of grey mist... until he couldn't see anything anymore. There was no sound, either, and walking there was like slowly disappearing.
But then, there was a slight whisper of breeze, and the mist began to pull back...

"Older brother!! What took so long?"

"Eh? I thought I told you to wait further away...." a small figure appeared in the fog, quickly keeping pace with Older Brother as the empty ground became a path under his feet.

"I know... but I was worried. And I heard voices..."

"Really? Huh. I guess the mist is starting to thin again." for a moment he walked in silence before a little sniffle caught his ears. He glanced at the smaller boy and rolled his eyes.

"Alright, alright, stop looking so miserable. You're off the hook this time. Now keep up already." he said, reaching out and taking a smaller hand in his.

And Older Brother walked back with his Little Brother through the quiet trees.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:03 pm 

-David, Elleb, and Sarcastic-

"Ah, good. Everyone's safe now." David smiled weakly and turned away from the rest of the group. "It's good."

"Yeah... everyone except the nice guy..." Elleb's voice sounded like a wounded piccolo.

David frowned. "Yeah... Andrew..." He sniffed.

Sarcastic, still feeling somewhat irritated, put her hands on her hips. "What's up with you about him, anyway? You have every reason to be mad, and I get the feeling you are, but you're just getting all detached and mopey about this whole deal!" Abruptly, she pointed a finger straight between David's eyes. "You need to deal with this. Either get angry. tell him off, and drop him like a bad habit, or deal with it and move on!" She glared at him, making him feel very uncomfortable.

David was taken aback. "Ah..."

"And, YES! I'm aware that talking like this to a Mad is usually just asking for trouble!" She scowled and looked at her boss. "You need to cheer up, one way or another! This is screwing up our dynamic!"

"Look... I just... Andrew... I just need to tell him something. That's all." David turned away and sighed. "I'll be fine. Andrew'll be fine. We'll save him. But beyond that..." He blinked as they started to fade. "Ah... time to go, I guess..."

-The Fun Magical Adventures of Radiant and Flux!-

"So we have to wait for them to wake up or we risk killing them, right?" Flux looked at the people in the room.

"Pretty much." Radiant sat there, glaring at them.

"So there's nothing else to do until then?"

"Nope."

Flux coughed. Radiant checked his watch, fiddling with the options on the digital menu.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm 

As Flux and Radiant waited, suddenly the Projector flashed a few lights and hummed.

"Ah, here we are! Now, don't scowl like that... I swear, I never meant to trip you." said Dr. Harp, laughing slightly at Radiant's glare.

True to the Doctors words, a few seconds later Xerox's eyes opened, and he sat up carefully while everyone else opened their eyes. For a moment, Xerox just sort of sat there, as if still in a daze... but a second later he was suddenly on his feet, adjusting his cuffs like nothing had happened.

His gaze was fixed on radiant, ignoring even Dr. harp beginning to chatter exitedly.

"Radiant. And... Fluxx, I beleive. Right." he said firmly, walking up to them before Radiant could begin to speak. stance, look, skin pallor, subtle facial cues...

"What do you want? And... how long have you been without sleep, Mister Radiant?" he said suddenly,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:56 pm 

Radiant scowled back, closing his eyes for a brief moment, as a faintly visible translucent wall formed between Xerox and himself, firmly separating the two of them. "My condition is not, and likely never will be, your concern, Commander Primary Xerox."

"About 37 hours, give or take a few minutes. Roughly the same amount of time he and I have been working on this together. It's no problem for me since I only really need to sleep about once every week, but-"

Flux was immediately silenced by a withering glare from Radiant. The alien hybrid paused for a moment, and then, not willing to admit he had been daunted, completed his sentence. "-Shiny-boy here's hardly been his normal serene self the entire time. He's definately got something stuck up his-"

"Flux, enough. And, as always, my NAME is Radiant." Somewhere nearby someone's pet gerbil that they had brought to work with them began to squeak loudly in pure terror, and immediately tried to burrow it's way out of it's cage. The superhero raised his left arm, as translucent barriers began to crisscross the room, creating a direct path between Radiant and David's unconscious form. Granted, the barriers were only 30% as dense as glass, but as long as no one thought to TRY breaking them... Radiant took a step forward. "We mean you no harm and are not here to impugn your authority. I am merely here to collect a quarry and depart with it. Once we have removed this murderer from your midst, we shall depart."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm 

Listening, a voice. Radient? Murderer?

!#@$%!

I open my eyes, seeing Radient looking at... Mister Toboz? What? I need more information... what to do, what to do...

"SQUEEEE!" I sit bold upright, clasping my hands together. "Omigosh, you're Radient! What are you doing here? You know Prim? That's so awesome! I've heard so much about you! You're like, the biggest Hero ever! Are you going to help Mister Toboz with training? That would be so cool!"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 pm 

Xerox rasied a Hand, gaze locked on Radiant.
"Claire? Sweetie? This is a dangerous man right now. A very, very dangerous man. And I can;t predict what he might do. As a favor to me, stand down." he drew his Staff from his pocket, and slammed it into the barrier. Okay, so maybe it wouldn't work but he would be DAMNED if he just let him-

Huh. Whaddya know. The... stuff shattered pretty easy, actiually.

"Radiant, stand down. There is no murderer in this room." he said, mentally adding a few things about himself, one note of special rules about minors and SMRD distress for Andrew, and a brief sarcastic remark about anyone dumb enough and so on Jane Narbon etc etc...

he strode over to him, calmly and slowly- like a man approaching a escaped wolf from the zoo.

"You think I haven't been following this? Toboz?! David Toboz? Under the circumstances of my prior knowledge and the lack of information, I refuse to allow you to take custody of him at this point in time." he said, stepping between Radiant and David.

"We can discuss this like rational human beings after YOU get some goddamned sleep, M is allowed their own investigations, and the Agent who originally took one David Toboz into custody, one Doctor Andrew K. O. P. P. R. Tinker, is able to testify." he set his staff down on the ground, eyes locked on Radiant.

36 hours? This wasn't good... he knew he should be drained, tired, but somehoe he hadn;t felt this alert in *years*. Like lightning crackling through his nerves...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 pm 

"Dangerous? Radiant? If- if you say so, Prim." I sit back docilely, trying to look both frightened and slightly in awe. Frightened isn't too hard.

Radiant is coming, Villain.
You’ll die, Villain. And so will every single one of your Mad friends.

I gulp, slightly. Prim will be ok. I hope. Mistress can deal with anything he can throw out. But Mister Tinker's unconscious. And Fredric-

Radiant doesn't *like* Mad Heroes. And if he breathes one word about Fredric being a monster, just because he's Mad or he's part rabbit or *anything*-

Blood shows up quite well on an all-white outfit like that.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 am 

The holographic glass fell the the floor as Xerox shattered through the barrier, then suddenly vanished in tiny flashes of light. Radiant snarled, stepping forward again, closer to Xerox. His outfit, a mostly white suit with a red pendent around his neck and dark black boots, shifted silently as he considered Xerox's words. It wasn't just the sleep, was it? He wasn't entirely sure he was feeling like himself. His head had been feeling fuzzy... No. "No, I am not wrong!" He lifted his left arm, as swirling motes of light began to swirl around Xerox. The Commander of M tried to get away, and was almost fast enough to do so.

ALMOST. If he had been fully recovered, he probably would have.

The motes of light followed his movements, beginning to coalesce and take on a form. Xerox's body was sheathed in stone, a rigid, form-fitting boulder that just barely allowed his chest room enough for him to breath, but otherwise prevented him from even twitching a finger. The only part of his body still free was his head, allowing him ample ability to breath. "I have no intention of hurting you. However, I will NOT have gone through all of this for nothing! I was there! I saw him do it! That stone may not be as strong as true granite, but a jaeger couldn't break free from it the way you're bound. You simply can't move enough to muster up the force needed to shatter it." he reached down to withdraw a blade from his waist. "I am still being merciful. Do not think that this is the only person I could have come here to collect!" He briefly glanced over towards Dana Amino and Jane Narbon before turning back towards his goal.

And then Flux teleported right in front of him. "Woah. Let's all just calm down, spazoids. We had a deal, remember, Rads? No violence unless someone else draws blood first and I get you in here, remember? That was the agreement."

Radiant faltered for a moment, looking down at the sword in his hand. "O-of course. H-how rash of me. I don't know why I was..." he blinked and quickly put the weapon away.

It was at about this point that David woke up, sitting up and pushing the mind jumping tech off of his head, as he rubbed his eyes, looked around the room, and suddenly widened his eyes, staring directly at Radiant. "Oh holy geeze."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 am 

Chic 'eeps!' in terror, cowering behind Xerox's bound form. Eyes wide with fright, cringing, a helpless little bit of five foot nothing...
So, a jaeger couldn't break free, due to the lack of movement inside the stone? How convienient that she's outside it.
"OhmygodOhmyGOD! Don't hurt us..." Her voice quavers.
He's ignoring her, concentrating on his quarry. Excellent.
Chic uses her claws and strenght-stealthily-to cut through and open Xerox's stone casing from the back. Like pulling a zipper on a long evening gown. Under cover of cowering, and coinciding with the other's startled exclamations and shouts of outrage, she silently lowers chunks of 'stone' to the floor.
Freeing Xerox.
Jess stalks towards Radiant and Flux.
"A murderer? David? He's the most boy scout hero I know! The kind of hero who would risk his life to save a stranger-hell, to save someone who'd only sneer at him. Without credit, without fanfare or publicity-to get hurt in the process, even. And he just consoles himself with the though that he's saved a life, done the right thing. He'd never kill anyone! It's far easier to believe YOU'D take a life, that that he ever would!"
Radiant narrows his eyes, but before he can speak, she continues.
"And Commander Xerox, upon being revived from a viscious attack and finding you here-does he call out the guards? NO! He offers to take things over calmly and rationaly with you! He's being reasonable! And you do THAT to him?"
She turns to Flux.
"I don't think your buddy's playing with a full deck at the moment-and I think you can see that. I would call that an unprovoked attack, wouldn't you?"
Flux has being getting more and more uncomfortable with the whole mess, but Radiant's his team mate.
He mutters-"Well, he didn't hurt him, he just restrained him....restraining and attacking are two different things...." Aren't they?
Jess smiles wolfishly. She/he's so glad they set that example.
As Radiant ignores her, intent on his prey....Jess's shoulder's slump in seeming defeat.
She's been under stress lately, so much stress. Those cryptic hints her father dropped, Xerox in danger of his life. Having to keep calm and cool. Saving him, the facade finally cracking a bit-and now this. Not five minutes after bringing him out, and he's like friggin' Han Solo encased in carbonite!
She snaps.
Her mind's still racing, cooly planning, calculating. PsychoRadiant brushes past her like she's a flea, and she...changes.
The shapeshifter mutation is rare-what she knows has come from research. And she's always been better. Shifting with a thought, instead of taking a minute or five. Odo type shifters are pure fantasy-earth shifters go from human to human. Jess has a lizardman type form-but she was experimented on by a mad biologist, who kept such things as rattlesnakes and gila monsters. Plus whatever her father did to her. The Dr.Gallagher who reported failure on that project to his superior, Ricardo Lopez, but who was skilled enough to supress Chic's jaeger traits.
And she's had an uneasy feeling, pushed to the back of her mind and ignored, that she may not be done evolving.
Radiant is encased by a...it resembles a grue, but it is so fang and claw ridden, the sight would have a mature grue cowering under the bed. The most delicate of scratches, unfelt, has unleashed a soporific toxin into his bloodstream. Tentacles-massive tentacles-restrain his arms, his legs-he's held as immobile as, well, as if he were encased in stone.
No light reaches him.
Chic stares in shock.
Jess 2.0.
Chimera.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 am 

Radiant snarled. "Poison. I can feel it." He body was already starting to sweat from the effects. "Perhaps it would have been wise to have acted through one of my light-clones. But... you are SORELY mistaken if you believe that you've defeated me. I'm going...I'm gonna...I'm....gon..." He slumped over, the effects of the poison rendering him unconscious.

Flux crossed his arms. "Fun fact, boys and girls. Angry moods stimulate your blood flow, causing things such as poisons to be processed faster. And now you know!" he crossed his arms and walked up to Radiant. "Well, that was thoroughly anti-climactic. I imagine that Mr. X-Rox is gonna wanna talk to him again once he wakes up, so I'll just do you all a favor and strip off all his stuff, alright?"

David blinked and sighed. "Guys... t-thanks..."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 am 

"Wow." I look at Miss Jess in amazement. "That's awesome! What else can you do? The fangs and claws and stuff are great!"

I walk over to Radiant. Unconscious. Good. "Um, I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into Mister Tinker's head unless he were in a no-light environment. With all of his stuff taken. And tied up. With Flux watching him." I look at Flux. "Of course, you probably know what you're doing- you can stop him from killing all of us if he wakes up, right? And... you don't want to kill any of us, right?" Flux is supposed to be fairly reasonable, I think.

Now I just have to figure out why Radiant would be calling Mister Toboz a murderer... too many possibilities at the moment. I still need more information...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:48 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Thaddeus looked around. "Now that he's out of commission, how about we go get my boss. I kind of need the paycheck..." (...and he's my friend)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:18 pm 

"See, and *that* is why Radiant is a cocky @#$!&^% bastard." he coughed slightly as he walked over to Radiant, discretely patting his chest as if he was brushing off the rock. Worse case scenario, he might have fractured something.

He put his hand on Jess' shoulder and kissed her cheek, not really seeming to notice that she had changed.
"My Hero." he said softly, so that only she (and maybe Fredric) could hear.

"Okay... this... yeah. I refuse to beleive that Radiant is in any kind of right mind right now. Ergo, I'm deeming him unfit to do *anything* involved with this until he's rested." he rounded suddenly on David, a slight furious twitch on his face.

"And YOU!! As far as I'm concerned, you're not going out of this country again without a warning sent ahead to the UN. And I can't deal with this right now. Unless you wanna fight me about it, then I'm hiring you. SMRD Hero Liaison or something... you keep doing what you do, only we send you a check every month."
He needed him to wake up Andrew. That was teh core of it. He diddn;t know anyone else who could.
Well, no, he did, but...

"Fredric..."

Fredric sighed, crossing his arms. He was still crouched slightly to attack,and only relaxed slowly. He wished it wasn't so.

"Oi know... Da doesn't ever want me in 'is head." he said softly. His Da had made him promise, once. After a close call when some-one had read his mind. It had seemed important to his Da... and he wouldn't go back on it.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:30 pm 

"I don't believe it," Amino says to herself.

"I know, ma'am," Ingrid replies, "I can't imagine David Toboz even speeding, let alone commiting murder."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, that too."

"Wait, what were you thinking, ma'am?"

Without even pausing to breathe, Amino tells her, "That was Radiant right there. And he wanted to arrest me. Oh my gosh this is the coolest thing to ever happen to me! Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh..." Amino finally takes a breath.

"Ma'am? Are you okay?"

"I'm a big fan of his work," Amino explains sheepishly. Then she remembers something Chic had told her in Xerox's mind. "Hey, Chic! I'll send you the recipe for the lightning pies later, okay?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:47 pm 

David looked sheepish as Xerox turned on him. "Ah... no...that's... fine, Mr. Xerox." He sighed. "I have no problem helping around here, I guess. And I didn't really mean to do anything bad anywhere... everything only started going wrong when someone turned the Eiffel Tower into a weapon of destruction..." He waited for Xerox to turn away and silently thanked his lucky stars that no one had told Xerox about the giant stone warship floating over the city yet. He started trying to think of a way to escape from the heavily guarded complex that was M before anyone broached the news.

As Xerox shifted his attention away from David, he sighed and approached Radient's body. "Hey. Look, I know you tried to kill me, and you can't hear me. But I forgive you. And... I know you don't want to believe that I didn't kill those people, but I didn't... and you didn't either. So you don't have to be afraid of it, ok? I promise..."

"Umm... Boss, what are you talking about?" Sarcastic had snuck up behind him.

David jumped. "Ah...nothing. Don't worry about it!" He smiled falsely. "Anyways, we should really go rescue the last person now."

"You mean Mr. Tinker?" Sarcastic put he hands on her hips and glared up at him.

"....Yeah. Andrew..." David turned away. And then suddenly he was pulled back around as Sarcastic grabbed his hair. "Owowowowowow! Hey! Let go!"

"Nuh-uh. Not until you stop acting fake-happy and/or withdrawn. You're only making yourself look silly."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Meanwhile-

Khan was prowling around Chicgeek and Wallycaine's lab, looking around for the infamous Lagos. Soon, the most dangerous of rabbits would be the ideal prey...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:20 pm 

Xerox huffed slightly, still wiping off bits of rubble.
"Ch. I know you diddn't mean it! Your sort never means it! Just like Andrew never means it either, you yutz!" he snapped, rummaging around for his flask of high-concentrate lime-aid.

Honestly, he liked the guy... but it already hard enough to reign in his 'big brother syndrome'. First Chic has to like The Brat, and Andrew's into this dummy...
At this rate, if Fredric or Claire ever started dating...

Dr. harp stealthily hid the handful of scalpels he'd drawn during the fuss, smiling innocently.
"Well! As soon as we've cleared away the rubble- and also the rock bits- we can go ahead. Ricerca is still running low, but Dr. Tinker's mind is proving easier to breach than we thought! It's almost like he;s still awake enough to lower his defenses."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:00 am 
Heh heh heh.

Everything clicked. Seeing Xerox in motion brought all the pieces together. And Jane understood exactly what she had seen in Xerox's mind. Who Xerox was.

Somehow, JN moved to Xerox without passing through the space between. As if she was a little girl again, she hugged him around the middle, squealing "Boo-Boooo! ^^" at the top of her lungs.

Xerox tried unsuccessfully to get free.

Now Jane, fully regressed to cute mode, was overloading on stored memories. "I remember you now! Ooh, we had so much fun back after you tried to kill Mommy and we caught you! Remember when we played Tag and I led you into pit traps? Ooh! Or the mutagen tea parties? Oh! IknowIknowIknow! Or the time I showed you the poison flower garden? Or how we loved to play dress-up?"

Xerox muttered something along the lines of "...grumble grumble grumble you liked to play dressup..."

"...or the ur-gerbils? Or when you tried to escape and we caught you? Or Hide-And-Go-Seek-Out-And-Destroy? Oh, it was so much fun!"

Xerox's life had just gotten weirder.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:33 am 

The fangs and claws fade, the tentacles are reabsorbed....and a row of spines appears down her back. Jess sits down shakily, then readjusts for a tail. Red, scaly hands hide her face. The changes fade again. Then her fingers lenghten, a delicate pair of ivory horns sprout-she has a woman's form, but bearing scales and plates of mother of pearl.
A high, reedy, voice is heard. "Oh, @%&*!!"
Her face squinches in concentration, and she shifts to a familiar tall, dark and handsome male form.
Harp and Wickett look on interestedly. Nobody's even pretending not to stare. Until Xerox gives them all a calm look, not threatening at all-but somehow everyone is prompted to focus elsewhere. He shrugs out of the tight hug Jane's enveloped him in, and walks back to Jess.
Quietly-"Are you okay?"
He smiles shakily. "Yeah...just...remember, I told you about when I first changed?" He got the story with all the details, not the humorous version she'll share with others.
"You kept cycling through changes for a while, it finally settled down. You muahaha'd a little, and it was over. That happening now?"
"I don't know, but it feels like it...I settled down when I saw how much it scared the crap out of Em. She hung onto me all night, like something out of Tam Lin...I...I can't hold this form long, babe..." She's sweating with the effort.
"Then don't try."
The boy from Beijing fades, sleek black fur starts to grow. She/He murmurs, the fangs giving her a jaegerish accent.
"Hy..Hy'm still me in here, hokay? I'm okay to go after Andy, chust...Harp may haff to keep adjsuting the electrodes, as Hy shift." She concentrates again, becomes red headed Jess.
"I'll let the docs look at me, promise-it's just common sense, what you'd have anybody going through this do. But I'm okay. If I don't fight it, there's no mental strain."
The fur gets shaggier, a few quills appear, and she growls-"But I'd better not find this posted on America's Funniest Home Videos!" Then very softly-"thanks, buttercup...."

Chic has walked over to Fredric, and gives him a hug-and miracle of miracles, she rerfrains from tousling his hair. "We'll bring him out safe and sound, Fredric."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:29 am 

Wally looked on, glancing over at Chimera's shifting form, then over to Jane, currently jumping up and down while squeeing about the one time that involved Ur-Gerbils, liquid nitrogen, and some antimatter. Finally resting his gaze on the unconscious Radiant, Wally sighed. "I'd say this was the weirdest this room has ever been, but then I'd be neglecting the day I came in for help with saving Lagos. I have no idea how the Inter-Dimensional Coalition of Destructive Rabbits got in here, but they certainly were very pushy with their business cards. I think they had them plastered of the tip of every missile. I'm not even sure that Lagos remembers that day."

---

Lagos hopped down the street, next to Janitor. "You know, it's really been fun having you around. I mean, remember when you threw me through the wall, just cause kept..."

"Yes, yes, I remember," Janitor said, cutting her off, "it was only a half an hour ago. And besides, that was only after you kept refusing to stop War from shooting any more support beams without a 'cut'."

"What about it? I thought you knew that cut is slang for chocolate ice cream. How's it my fault you didn't?"

"Yeah, well, I'm still not sure you didn't make it up on the spot, just to get out of trouble."

"Why, I'd never do that at - Look, there's the lab. And there's a tiger wandering outside it!"

"Right..." Janitor looked where Lagos was pointing. "Well, what do you know, there really is a tiger. Huh."

Lagos flew up ahead of them. "Hey, Kitty-kitty, what are you doing around here? Oh, and just growl once if you're a regular tiger. Then you can get experimented on... Heeheehee."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:48 am 

I look at Mistress, still thrilled about Prim being her playmate when she was little. I guess she didn't have any cousins. That's kind of sad. Hide-And-Go-Seek-Out-And-Destroy is *much* more fun with more people. And she probably didn't have anyone to experiment on after he left, or anyone to try to kill her or to try to kill or to strand on the moon or to zap or fight with or drive Mad or share research with or play death-ray-tag with or *anything.*

She must have been so lonely. Poor Mistress. Although I guess this does explain why Prim never liked playing with everyone...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:48 pm 

Xerox shrugged off Jane for the moment- one thing at a time. First off....
"Dr.Harp?" he asked, taking Jess' hand-paw in his.

"Mister Harp, Commander. As always, I must remind you I never completed my degree." he said, sweeping up the rock chunks into a corner while Wicket carted off Radiant in a wheelbarrow.

"But as a matter of fact, you mustn't worry! The Projector works purely on a biological signal interface, which-" he stopped, noting Xerox's level glare.

"Mister Harp..."

"Er, sorry sir. Forgot about the 'Dumb it down for the Commander' clause, sir. The core of it is that Shape shifters are actually superbly easy to track mentally. Something about the method of keeping the same mind during metamorphosis keeps the signal steady as a Vin Mannequin Laser Ruler." he explained, handing Jess a sort of specialized version of the headband- made opf a fine silvery mesh, and slightly cool to the touch.

"Now, trying to scan someone who's mind isn't even in the right dimension half the time, *that*'s difficult. We thought Agent Ichor was clinically *dead* the first time we tried it on him." he happily chattered, opening up the projector and fiddling around a bit.

Fredric hugged Chic back, pouting a little.
"Oi 'ate it... but oi know you'll bring 'im back. An oi know 'e just doesn;t want me t' see some things... vain jerk." he muttered

Xerox glanced at Jane, scowling.
"I don;t know what you're talking about. And you still owe me a quarter for not telling that you stole the gamma radiator." he snapped, sitting down next to Jess and putting on his headband.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Meanwhile, elsewhere in M, a dark-haired teenager left the lab she had occupied for the past few hours, beginning to move towards the group. Security doors fell from her thought, and traps failed to work as she passed, even though she had none of the right identification. Making her way up from the lab, she passed mads, creators, and interns, none of whom even gave her a second glance. (Well, except the interns.)

Seeing the other mind-delvers, she walked over, making sure that she was outwardly acting at human speed. All other human interaction data was ready (interfacing with them was so difficult...) for quick access. Here went everything...

The group recognized her by her voice a few seconds before her face registered as being the same one from the Mindscapes. It fazed none of them as she looked at them, and spoke.

"Hello-- it's quite nice to physically meet all of you after all this time.

I am Ariel."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:32 pm 

"Hi, Miss Ariel!" I wave at her. "Did you make that body yourself? It looks really realistic." I grin at her. She seems nice. Sure, the 'kill all humans' AIs are fun, but there's definitely something to be said for an AI you can talk to and be friends.

I hope Fredric's ok not going into Mister Tinker's mind... It'll probably be stressful just waiting. And boring. I guess the only thing for us to do is just try to speed through it as quickly as possible. Although... hmmmm...

I walk over to Fredric. "Hey, um... since you're going to be out here anyway... if you aren't doing anything else... you said you might be interested in learning how to fix up toasters, and, well... if you mess around with the one in the break room for a while, you'll probably learn a bunch... I don't know how much you'll be able to figure out- I was taught, and none of my cousins could figure it out, even though they're all really smart- but if you can figure out even some of the basics, it'll be a lot easier to teach you..." I look at the floor. I am *not* going to feel bad about helping Mister Tinker when Fredric can't. It's a lot less of a pain to teach someone how to adapt a toaster if I don't have to spend hours explaining really simple stuff to them, that's all. And this way he doesn't have to be bored.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:09 am 

"Hello Ariel," said Thaddeus as he sat down for the mind transfer-thing. "Made yourself a body did you? It looks pretty good for your first try. I don't know why, but a lot of AIs seem to drift into uncanny valley."

(I hope no one wants exposition. We should really be saving Tinker.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:34 am 

"Well, alright, now it's getting closer. Anyways, it's nice to see you outside, and looking so much like your digital counterpart. So, what do you think about your... actually, on second thought, I'll hold the questions, and wait until after we get the Professor up and running again." Wally sat down in the machine, and put the sensors back on. "Everybody else ready?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:58 am 

-Khan-

He jumped as he heard Lago's voice from behind him, his tail standing straight on end and his fur bristling out. He whirled around to see her hovering in the air. "Gah! But your scent seemed like you were insi-" he blinked and quickly started to lie. "I was, ab, er, looking for... friend. Project, uh, writing... scent led by here... college, English..." He babbled, gesturing in the direction of the school he went a bit incoherently with his paws. He felt distinctly uncomfortable being up close to the creature he had intended to bring down as a trophy beast. (He'd heard other predators speak of two infamous rabbits living in the area no sane hunter would dare chase, and had resolved to make a name for himself by catching one. Granted, he assumed that finding Frederic Tinker would have probably been the easier task, but Khan realized it would be difficult to get a passing grade in several of his English classes if he did kill and eat a relative of one of his Professors.)

He wasn't entirely sure how to behave in this situation. Every instinct he had inherited from his nonsentient ancestors was telling him he really ought to be hunting larger prey anyway, but that he should kill this small mammal out of the principle of the thing. But Khan was a bit smarter than most tigers were. He knew better than to just blindly attack something that knew he was there. "I'll... uh... just be...going now... yeah... Going to... place... yes..." He started to pad off, plotting on coming back when he had the element of surprise once more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-David, Elleb, and Sarcastic-

Elleb rang. Granted, that new golem seemed interesting, but she didn't like automatons much. They weren't natural, and "living" thinks like that made fae uncomfortable. She sighed, fluttering over to Tinker's unconscious forehead, and traced a circle on it with a bit of ash she kept in a small pouch at her waist. Granted, she didn't actually need to do that to get into a mortal mind (She had entered the minds of the other mortals earlier in the day just by diving into them) but she was bored and showy rituals entertained her, and it wasn't as if she was using most of her magic for anything else that day. Balancing on the tip of Andrew Tinker's nose, she lifted her two arms and buzzed lightly with her wings. The effort had the effect making the circle of ash glow, taking on a deep golden hue, and it began to float slightly off of Tinker's forehead and swirl around in a circle. She bounced off of the unconscious man's head and dived into the circle, effortlessly shedding her physical matter and becoming nothing more than an idea. The concept of Elleb entered Tinker's mind, where she would have to wait for the entity known as Ricera to prepare the interface those mortals were relying on before she would be able to interact with it. (Really, Mortals were such silly entities... they had to go to the trouble to create things to do things that came almost effortlessly to the Fae. She considered herself lucky that her ability to enter mortal minds worked with their odd machine to begin with.)

David smiled and tilted his head. "Hello Ariel! And ow!" Sarcastic, who was still tugging on his hair, bowed, provoking another exclamation of pain from David.

"It's nice to see you here, little girl!" Sarcastic smiled. She could deal with things like this. In terms of weirdness, ordinary Mad Science was about a 7, maybe an 8. She could deal with that. But jumping into people's heads... that was, like, a 10. Maybe even an 11. Waaay more than she was comfortable with. "Well then, we're all ready, right?" She smiled, tugging David over towards the mind-entering devices they were using.

"Ow! Hey! I wanted to talk to Ariel more!" David protested.

"Nuh-uh. We're saving my college professor. I am NOT going to have written that 15-page essay he assigned last week for nothing!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Flux-

He bent over Radiant's sleeping body, stripping off anything he thought Radiant might be able to use to cause trouble. He peeled off Radiant's pocket flashlights (Useful for when he absolutely had to work in no-light situations.) as well as his sword and sheath. He unhooked Radiant's cloak (A metalweave cloak, useful for absorbing force and protecting from some forms of energy attacks) as well as the red pendent his compatriot had recieved as a gift for saving the life of a jeweler a week ago. For good measure, he also took away Radiant's belt and even his shoes. (He'd heard rumors that Radiant hid a knife in one of them, just in case he was ever without any other tool. He just wanted to be sure.)

Something wasn't sitting well with him about this. Yeah, Radiant had a tendency to be rigid and stuffy, but he wasn't the sort who'd fly off the handle like that. He'd seen Radiant get angry before, and it hadn't been like this. When he was mad at someone he acted like a stern parent disciplining a willful and disobedient child, even if he was the one in the wrong. Above all other things Flux had always known Radiant to be tame. Disciplined. Restrained. It wasn't like him to get so angry that he almost lost control. It just didn't seem to make sense. He'd never seen what Radiant was like when he overused his powers, but he had heard from Braxton, who had been there the last time Radiant had overused his powers, that the man got considerably more... erratic, in those circumstances. "I dunno... I guess you just lost control, but... it just seems strange, is all." He handed one of the Intern Hive Mind Radiant's stuff. "He WILL be expecting it back later, I'm pretty sure, but please put it somewhere he can't get at easily." He crossed his arms and sat down. He needed to think about a few things, and now was as good a time as any to ponder them.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:51 pm 

Wicket, who had carried Radiant, leaned against the doorway top the spare room they had found. It was actiually pretty nice- a lot of new employees were homeless, one way or another, so the Commander had re-purposed some old storage rooms as living spaces.

A Intern handed him a receipt, which he tossed over to rest on Radiant's chest.

"When he wakes up, he can turn that in to get his things back." he said, making himself comfortable against the wall.

"Er, that's good... are you planning on staying here?" asked Radiant, looking at the tough Italian a little nervously. He'd already had to be around *Harp* for way too long...

"Yes. I will be here to ensure that there is someone to contain your friend if the need arises. You can relax- I'm not as interested in studying you as my companion is. I don;t really like blood, anyways." he said calmly, trying to be as nonchalant as possible while holding a short sort of metal baton that looked like it could stun a bull elephant.

"...no scalpels?"

"None. There is nothing I could gain by studying you, signor. Aside from a passing curiosity, but this is more about an event from before than of you." he assured him.

-Back in the Infirmary-

As Fredric settled in next to his Da's bed, harp started the projector. The familiar blackness settled in, creating the blank place in-between the Mindcscapes loading.
Ricerca appeared, as well as the little sofa and bookcase he had started generating for himself. he was laid out flat, looking a little like someone with a bad case of insomnia.

He waved slightly, smiling at the group.
"Hello, everyone. I'm patching us in as fast as I can. Luckily, it's going smoother than I would have expected." he said, wiping his eyes slightly and sitting up.

Xerox looked down at himself- he looked like he did in his own Mind, only he had a trench coat on over the armor. And he was wearing what looked like combat boots.He shrugged,and glanced at Ricerca.

"Holy Mother Mary, you okay? You look kinda... overclocked."

"I'll be fine, commander. Now, everyone else has been slowly gaining skills, as they will be doing so again if they feel the need to, so i am upgrading you via your own input. Please hold..."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:12 pm 

Xerox chose.... Special!
Xerox gains:
Multi-Staff: The mysterious weapon that changes in weight and lenght as teh users whims. Also converts to Net form!
Data Transfer: Input Data from your surroundings to gain information! Default 50% added agility.
Built-Up Resistance: Most Damage will be halved, due to years and years of building up resistance to damage.

As Xerox received his upgrade, the blackness slowly swirled into the final Mindscape. Ricerca returned to Pixie form, wobbling over to rest on Jess' head again- no real reason besides fondness at this point.
"Alright, the image may take a... oh, you *must* be kidding me." he said, twitching slightly.

Even if you weren't aware of the source, it was an almost unmistakable scene. A room, with a definitely Victorian decoration... only rather messy. Someone's coat was tossed over a chair, and a massive pile of cigarette ash was on a tea saucer. And for some ungodly reason, someone had put the Queens initials on the wall with bullet holes. The whole scene was made especialy surreal by a warm crackling fire, and what seemed like very small Agatha Clanks running around on the floor, let alone the figure sitting by the window playing the Violin.

Said figure diddn't so much as turn to greet the sudden visitors, absorbed completeely in playinga litlting, disjointed melody on the violin. It was a man, still rather young in years...
But after a moment the sound of the violin ceased and the figure stood, turning to the group and nodding slightly.

"Do forgive my rudness, but I could not help but finish my wretched peace."

'His very person and appearance were such as to strike the most casual observer. In height he was rather over six feet,and so excessively lean that he seemed to be considerably taller. His eyes were sharp and piercing, save during those intervals of torpor to which I have alluded; and his thin, hawk-like nose gave his whole expression an air of alertness and decision. His chin, too, had the prominence and squareness which mark the man of determination. His hands were invariable blotted with ink and stained with chemicals, yet he was possessed of extraordinary delicacy of touch...'

" I am Sherlock Holmes. Pleased to make your acquaintances."

Dangerous Minds
Final Level: A Study of Scarlet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:24 pm 

It's- it's him! I stare for a minute. It's really him. Wow. I can't believe it.

I shake my head, closing my eyes as I realize I've just been staring at him. Not good. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong identity. I was never that great at the whole 'sleuth' thing, anyway. Well, except maybe in Chicago, but that was special. Besides, I'm cartoony here. I've got mallets and anvils and dynamite. And some sort of new power-up, which I think Dr. Ricerca said was based on our subconscious now? Last time I knew I would get a mallet, but this time-

Claire Learns: 'Blessing' of Acme Level 3!
Summon crates of Acme products to create a faulty device that *will* blow up in your face! As an added bonus, it won't hurt anyone else, not even your enemies!

"Hey, that's not a power-up! That'll just get me blasted out of the mindscape in less than a minute! It's not even offensive! Give me something else!"

Why should you get to change your power-up?

"Sarcastic got to- you didn't give her 'Protect.'"

Whatever it is sounds surly. Claire Learns: Blessing of Acme Level 1++!
You can now summon *four* sticks of dynamite at a time.
"

"Five?"

Don't push your luck.

"Fine." I pull out a mallet. An extra stick of dynamite is always good, I guess. Although I'm not really sure what use this stuff there will be here. It seems a lot more serious.

I look back at Mister Holmes, feeling slightly embarrassed. I'm not sure I have the right personality for this sort of thing...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 am 

(Of course.) Thad thought looking around at the room.

Thaddeus Learns:
Shield Arms-man Final Level-
7% increase in the power of shields

Thad knows that his subconscious would do that to him. He spoke up-Holmes was here for a reason, "We're looking for someone."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next