Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Jess's eyes narrow in concern for Ricerca, but she holds her peace. They've all offered to help him, there's nothing any of them can do to help an AI projection. "So, Doc..." She drawls, deliberatly teasing him.
"What did I tell you about that, Butch?" He smirks back at her.
"Pshaw. If I'm Butch, you're Sundance." She has a thought. Quietly-"is it easier on you if we skip the upgrades? if so, I'll stay my already threatening awesome self."
She turns to Xerox, her tone casual. "Okay-in the interest of keeping a level playing field-when all this is over, if you wanna tiptoe through my psyche, we'll set it up. And that's an offer I wouldn't make to the kid." She shrugs, pretending indifference.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 am 

Ricerca shook his head, sitting up slightly and looking around.
"So long as we don't hit a Bolivian army ending... " he joked, looking around at the details of the room. Sheesh...

"But I'll be fine. At this point the upgrades are hardly making a difference- I'm just worn out by a long haul. The projector had never been used for more than 20 minutes before. So really, it's a great success. Mind you, once I get my own body I'mma hotfoot my creators."

Xerox snorted slightly, covering his mouth.
"Atta boy. Now *that* is a Liberated AI." he said, casually leaning against Jess' side for a second.

"It's a date, convict." he said quietly, winking at her slyly.

Holmes smiled at Claire in an odd way before turning to Thaddeus, nodding amiably.

"So you are, Mister Guy. Specifically the metaphorical 'core' of Andrew Tinker, the inner whole separate than yet 'of' the sum of parts. A fascinating concept. I will lend you all the help I can, I assure you." he said, setting his violin in it's case, which then was set absent-mindedly across a bookshelf.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am 

Processing...

Processing...

Error! Nonstandard Mental Interface! Recalibrating...

Elleb giggled.

Elleb learned Mischief Maker! Elleb now possesses the ability to grab, shake, and throw things, despite her small stature and limited strength. Shaking enemies, objects, or allies can often result in the dropping of valuable [Items], or other potentially strange effects! Be warned... enemies that are grabbed will quickly recover and attack if they are held onto for too long!

"Delightful!" Elleb grinned, plotting on how to best abuse her new power.

Processing...

Sarcastic gained Pro-

Sarcastic put her hands on her hips. "What did I tell you last time?"

You can't tell me what to do! I'm just a voice!

"Nothing doing. I'm not getting a semi-useless power my subconscious keeps trying to foist on me."

...Sarcastic gained "It's a Steal!"

With this ability, Sarcastic can steal items from enemies!

"Eh, I'll take it." Sarcastic put her arms in her pockets, looking around the room.

P-p-processing...

David raised an eyebrow. "Hmm... that's concerning."

D-David gained "Supreme Court-Style Justice Techniques!" These are strange and unpredictable powers impossible for a single person to perform. When the ability "Justice!" is triggered and certain conditions are met, David and one ally can work together to unleash an incredibly powerful technique against one or multiple enemies. The strength of these techniques are dependent on the combination of David and his allie's Imagination, Madness, and Bond Percentile statistics.

Sarcastic raised an eyebrow. "Wait, I thought this wasn't some sort of game."

Err...it isn't. I'm not entirely sure why I said that.

Sarcastic shrugged and approached Holmes. "Well, can you point us in the right direction?

Meanwhile, Elleb was sneaking up behind the detective as silently as she could, plotting to test out her new ability...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:20 am 

As Elleb snuck up behind the Great Detective, she gigggled slightly to herself. He was a perfect target! All dignified and clever looking. She reached forward, gripping his shirt collar and-

"Young Miss, I must warn you that any further movement on your part will force my hand towards a confrontation involving a flyswatter. *And* I will vent my personal opinion of faries vis a vis existence very loudly, and repeatedly." he said simply, examining his nails.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:32 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel couldn't resist. She stepped forwards, her hair coiling around her head to form a deerstalker hat as she pulled a magnifying glass out of nowhere. Examining Elleb through the glass, she maintained a stern expression, while saying to Holmes, "How odd! It seems elementary, my dear Holmes, what what, that this fairy is most peculiar!"

Maybe it was the body. At least, that's what she'd say if anyone asked her about it later. Having a body made you do funny things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:44 pm 

"Upgrades....hmm..." Jess ponders. "Okay, we'll add poison. If I choose, I can add that to my Chimera claws, to hopefully knock out anybody who gets scratched."
She dusts her nails on her coat, thinking of Radiant. She knows she was lucky he was exhausted and distracted, but...she subdued Radiant! How cool was that? And hopefully by the time they've retrieved Andrew, her metamorphisis will have settled down.
Chic thinks furiously. "Oh, what the heck. Mad scientist swiss army knife. Great for dismantling traps-a hundred and one uses around the home! Or brain..."
She turns to the Sherlock persona. "Okay, so what's our first step? Our first clue? What dog isn't barking?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:33 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
*And* I will vent my personal opinion of faries vis a vis existence very loudly, and repeatedly." he said simply, examining his nails.

Elleb chuckled and waved her hand, scoffingly. "Try it, mortal." She let go and fluttered over to face him. "My mortal taught me that I have to believe in myself, because otherwise no one else would believe in me!" She flitted around Holmes, posing for Ariel and jingling, as she embedded herself in the Detectives hair and began fussing with it.

David chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, I did kinda teach her that. Back around the Convention, I think."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm 

Unexpectedly, Holmes burst into laughter, putting his hand over his forehead as the Fairlie began to mess with his wispy hair.
"Ha! What a clever mortal you have, then.I have always thought that it was a rather odd achillies heel to endure in such a creature." he said, reaching up and carefully lifting her out of his hair.

"A truce, then Your Highness. If you would take this, young Miss? And allow me to complement you on your attire" he said, handing her to Ariel. he took out a handkerchief to wipe his hands with as he turned back to the rest of the group, stepping forward towards Chic.

"If a barking dog is what you wish for, then perhaps *this* will do. It arrived here shortly before you arrived, as it happens." he handed Chic an envelope he took from his pocket, still regarding the little fairy carefully.

The envelope was labled simply 'From Andrew'. When opened it contained a letter, and a small comass.

The Letter
Hello, everyone.
I hope you have fared well enough so far. I've been trying to follow the Story so far, but my abilities are waning. I'm sorry I couldn't have held on any longer, but I'm doing my best to drop my defense against Mind-Altering affects so that you can get in, as well as sending this ahead to your entry point.

The compass should lead you in the right direction, should you ever be in doubt. I wish i could remember what else I needed you to know... but I can't think of it anymore...
I know you will save me.
-Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 pm 

I peer at the compass, taking note of the direction. "Miss Chicgeek? Can you walk perpendicular to the direction it points for maybe two or three meters and see how much the needle deflects? I want to get a rough idea of how close he is." I turn a bit red, feeling embarrassed. "Sarcastic, can I borrow your notepad? It's easier to check my work if it's written down." No one laughs at that. That's comforting... "And this way, we can figure out exactly where he is so it won't matter as much if the compass breaks. As long as he isn't moving and this place is euclidean and we only have to worry about two dimensions and the compass has that degree of accuracy..."

I look at Mister Holmes. "Actually, do you know if this place acts according to the same physics as, say, an average unmodified portion of our universe? Do we have to worry about rooms shifting around to any great extent? *Is* this place euclidean?" I try to run through the possibilities in my head... Uh-oh... "Do we know this is from Mister Tinker? Do we have any choice but to assume it's from Mister Tinker? It's not like we have a lot of options at the moment." Mister Holmes probably has a better idea of what fits and what doesn't than we do, so he would be the best to determine the letter's authenticity. Although even if it is fake, we might as well follow the compass and just assume it's leading us into an ambush.

I try to concentrate on rescuing Mister Tinker. It's actually a lot easier than I would expect, even though I'm in the middle of a mystery with Sherlock Holmes. Although I think I'm trying to be a bit more analytical than normal... is that better than cartoony? I still have my mallet, though. I guess I won't worry about it too much. Besides, I still have to see how many mallets I can juggle at some point.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:37 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Amino gained 'Eternal Vengeance'!
If you are attacked by an enemy, you
can use this attack to send the same
amount of damage right back at them!

"Sweet!" Amino cries.

"Hmm..." Ingrid murmurs to herself, "What upgrade shall I choose this time?"

I hope that whatever you choose is cooler than your last upgrade.

"Shut up, Mysterious Voice from the Beyond," Ingrid replies, "Ooh, I know."

Ingrid gained 'Cup of Joe'!
This technique gives you a
boost of energy in times of crisis!

Wow, that's actually fairly neat. Nice choice.

"Thank you, Mysterious Voice from the Beyond."

Amino walks over to Holmes and the rest of the group and examines the evidence. "Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this one! The butler did it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 pm 

Janitor wasn't sure she liked the look of disappointment Lagos sported as the tiger started to edge away. "Uh, I hope you find your friend!" Janitor called, as if the tiger was a block away, not a foot. "Don't experiment on the poor guy, huh?" she muttered in Lagos' direction.

"Just because you're sitting War doesn't mean you can-" Lagos started.

"We've been over this, Lagos, I'm sitting you too and that means - Hey! Um, Mr. Tiger! You're heading the wrong way to get to the college!" Janitor called, which only seemed to make the tiger's gait noticeably faster. If she had been thinking properly, Janitor might have concluded some embarrassment of the part of the tiger; but she wasn't, and therefore didn't. "Not that I would know how to get to the college from here," she murmured to herself. "Yep. Mostly total stranger here, me."

"It sure is, my little echinoid. It sure is."
"No. I mean, literally. That's fictional."
"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 pm 

Holmes raised an eyebrow, sitting down again- his task of handing the letter over was completed, he could relax. But he *did* hand Claire a notepad and a fountain pen, looking interested.

"I'm afraid that the dimensional properties of a projected realm of thought are rather outside my expertise." he said, shrugging slightly.

"And I can confirm the authenticity of the letter- Mr. Tinker has very distinctive handwriting- he leand his pen down slightly, has the particular scrawl that only a collage professor adapts, and if you look at the underside you might notice that he imprints the paper heavily. A side affect of teh weight of his mechanical hand, I beleive." he said, waving his hand slightly.

"And for gods sake, who else would apologize for not being able to make his own rescue easier?" he added, scoffing slightly.

Xerox piped up from his position examining the wall- it was with a little pride that he decided that the famed detective was a average shot.

"I can help you there, sweetie." he said, activating his Data gather. Let's see....

"The only reason we perceive normal physics here is because we expect them, and the environment demands them via familiarity. I doubt that the areas will shift, but they *can*. Think of it as a semi-morphic pocket universe, I guess."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:19 am 

"Thank you." I take the notepad and pen and listen to what Prim says. So what we expect will have some bearing on what actually happens, although I'm going to keep an eye on where we are and what moves in relation to what else.

I scribble a triangle on the notepad and stare at it for a few seconds.

Ok, d = x/tan(a). I look around Mister Holmes's study, trying to approximate. Then I walk over to where Miss Chicgeek stands. "May I have the compass, actually? It's easier if I can look at it." She hands it to me. This won't be extremely accurate, but I should be able to get an order of magnitude, easily, and probably to the nearest 10 m or so unless he's pretty far away. *If* everything acts normally, anyway. Maybe the compass will just point me to the correct exit for this room. Maybe this is one of those places where the correct way to get somewhere is to walk away from it. Maybe I should stop running through random possibilities and actually see what happens when I walk across the room with the compass.

Now, start here, with the needle pointing that way, walk, note the deflection. I balance the compass on the notepad and scrawl a few equations. That degree of accuracy doesn't really matter, I guess. At the very least, this will tell us if he's, say, three rooms away or three buildings away. If it works.

Although I really can't help but think 'maze' whenever I'm in a room and given a compass. And in my experiences mazes trend more toward the 'shifting' type. I hope that doesn't influence here too much. All the Mads probably aren't thinking about mazes, so that should help. And this will probably be more mystery-intensive, anyway...

"Mister Holmes, I don't suppose you'd be willing to come with us? You presumably know what would be out of place here, not to mention your useful deductive skills." And then I get to watch Holmes solve a mystery... although just because I want to watch him problem-solve don't make the other reasons to have him come along any less valid.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:19 am 

-David, Elleb, and Sarcastic-

"Um, ow?" David blinked. "Sarcastic, I can't help but notice that you're pulling on my ear. Why are you pulling on my ear?"

Sarcastic turned away from him, which elicited another outcry of minor pain from David. "Because the second you saw that note you started trying to go off on your own for some sort of solo rescue thing, and I'm still not entirely sure how you feel about the whole Professor Tinker thing, and I'm still kinda weirded-out by the whole mental world thing, AND because the guy I kinda like hasn't picked up on even one of the hints I've been dropping."

David raised an eyebrow. "Wait, what was that last one?"

"Nothing! It was nothing!" She took a step forward, pulling him by his ear.

"Ow! ow! Ok... sheesh... I don't know why I let you get away with this..." he sighed. "So...are you going to let me go now?"

"Are you going to run away and try to get to rescue Andrew all solitary-ish?"

"Err...."

"Then we're locked in a stalemate, aren't we?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 am 

Wally looked at Claire's work quickly, then nodded. "That makes sense. I mean, the uncertainly will be pretty high, but as long as we're going for a general estimate, then it should work." He looked back up. "So, Disembodied Voice, what am I getting this time?"

Wally has learned: Go-go Magnifying glass!
Deploy a Magnifying glass from under your fedora that automatically points out the next clue.

"Really? That's pretty cool. I should use it now!"

Only usable twice before it breaks, requiring major repairs.

"...Or maybe not..."

---

Lagos smiled at Janitor. "Oh, really?"

Janitor looked concerned at this line of questioning "Yes, very much so! Um... so how do you think War's getting along?"

"We left him alone in a building full of destructible things, and he wants to do nothing more than fight. I'm sure we'll find a completely gutted house, and have to frantically rebuild before Chic and Wally get back. See..." Lagos pushed the door open, revealing the inside of the house.

War sat inside, on one side of a table covered with miniatures. "Hey guys, Godfrey introduced me to this really cool game. Any body else want to play? I keep winning for some reason."

Lagos opened her mouth, closed it, and blinked a few times. "...Or, I suppose, we could come home to that..."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 am 

Chic plants herself in front of David, scowling. "Stop right there!" She jabs a finger into his chest.
"He's your sweetie-you want to do the big heroic rescue. I get it." She brushes off his sputtering reply.
"Listen up-he's my cousin. My reasons aren't the same, but can't you see I want to save him as much as you do? The real heroic thing to do at the moment is not running off blindly, by yourself. Every person we've brought out of this, was brought out by all of us. We don't know what's ahead. You may yet get your chance to single handidly slay a dragon, who knows? We may have to split up, to fight different opponents, or follow multiple clues. But it won't be blindly, and we'll keep in touch via Ricera. So hold your horses. Do you want something you shouldn't have faced by yourself to knock you out of the mindscape? I don't-I know you're going to be vital to getting Andrew back."
Her voice quietens, she shelves the exasperated glare, and smiles at him instead.
"So, are you ready to settle down? If so, we'll start following this compass right now. And I'm not letting go of it, so put that thought right out of your head!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:31 am 

Jess speaks sotto voice to Xerox and Ricerca, while the others are watching Chic fuss at David.
"I don't know Andy Kaboom as well as the rest of you-but we've been aqquainted a while. I've seen him change since the Mad Sci Convention. Making friends with the Kid, finding out she's family-her trying to drag him out of his shell. And here we have Holmes-am I right in thinking, not a love of the detective genre, but emotional repression?"

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 am 

Xerox nodded slightly, watching Chic hash it out with David with no small amusement. Poor sap...
He blew a little puff of smoke, enjoying the fact that he wasn't bothering anyone with it here. No actiual smoke, no smell.
"A little of both, actiually. Boy's been reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes since he was *six*. But Andrew refers to the way he has to shove certain things aside under stress 'Holmes Mode'. Like if he has to deal with a murder, for instance. He goes all logical, works things out, and then goes home to watch a movie and quietly freak out to himself." he said, tapping his cigarette ash off onto the floor.

Ricerca goggled, staring at Xerox.

"What? That's terrible! I mean, as far as coping methods go, there are worse... but anyways, I suppose that makes sense. And *this* Holmes is a little more personable than a lot of people mistake him for... maybe because he's changed? I'd know more, but Dr. Tinker keeps skipping out on his psyche checkups."

Holmes considered it for a moment, before smiling slightly and nodding.
"Very well! I have little else to do at the moment, at any rate. I shall accompany you as far as I can." he said, picking up his coat from over a nearby chair and shrugging it on.

"if only Watson was here as well... but he stepped out today to visit his patients. Damn, maybe I'll call him anyways... it would be worth the scolding, really." he said, considering it for a moment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:34 pm 

"Thanks, Mister Holmes!" That will probably help a lot. I listen to the conversation between Miss Jess and Prim and Dr. Ricerca. Right, it's bad when Mister Tinker tries to be Mister Holmes because then he doesn't have any friends and he's unhappy. Sigh. But at Dr. Ricerca's outburst about that method of coping- "Wait, really? I thought that was just how Heroes were supposed to cope with stuff... I mean, breaking down crying or something doesn't really help get anything solved." I shrug. "But then, I'm probably the last person who would know how Heroes are supposed to behave. So can we get going? Fredric's probably bored waiting out there."

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm 

Xerox shrugged, patting Claires shoulder.
"It's not healthy because repressing emotions leads to stress. Personally, I deal with it by just getting mad- not that healthy either, but at least it's a way to let off enough steam to reduce damage." he said, taking the compass and checking it.

"Well, It's pointing at the door for now, so that;s our course. Holmes, you ready or..." Xerox stopped, looking at the Detective suspiciously. He had still been fuzzy before, but his somewhat obsessive attention to detail (the same that let him track Jess so well) was kicking in.

"... shouldn't you have *brown* hair? Kinda light?" he asked, hand on the doorknob.

Holmes raised an eyebrow, tucking something into one pocket of his coat. His hair was, in fact, black- it was hard to notice, but it was a rather familiar ink-black... and also his coat was a little reddish...

"Very astute. Two reasons, good Commander. The first is that a young Andrew responded to somewhat vague descriptions and uncolored illustrations in my dear Watson's manuscripts by filling in his own hair color. The second is that I represent a part of Andrew, I suppose. Which makes it rather interesting that, at the moment, Watson isn't here..."

Xerox rolled his eyes and pushed open the door.
"Look, I'll force Andrew into some goddamn therapy *later*. For now, we got a job... to... do...?"
The reason for his sudden shock was that the door had oppened into a completely different place, something he hadn't experience yet.

This time, it was the very collage that Andrew now worked at, in his lecture room- throne and all. Even Andrew himself was there...
Twice.

One was at a desk in the very first row, half asleep with his head on his arms and looking like he did in the picture Xerox had been looking at some time earlier. Casually dressed, with black rings around his eyes and an exhausted sort of aura, with a tiny Baby Fredric resting on his head.

The other was in front of the board, diagramming a sentance with odd symbols and signs. This one was more like the current- only his hair had a streak of Grey in, and a little subdued- Teacher!Andrew rather than Hero!Andrew.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:32 am 

Chic blithely steps around a startled Xerox. "Pick up your jaw, Jefe-time to meet another part of Andrew."
She steps into the classroom, waving at TeacherAndrew. "Hi, Cuz!" She walks briskly to the tired looking StudentAndrew and baby Fredric. "Hi, Other Cuz! We're here to help."
She immediatly starts cooing over the tiny ball of fluff-she can't help it. "Aw....Fredric, you're so adorable at this age." She gently starts scratching him between his ears, calling forth an involuntary 'meep!'.
Jess saunters in, nudging Xerox. "You heard the kid-pick up your jaw, schweetheart", and she leans casually against the wall, taking it in.

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:41 pm 

-David, Elleb and Sarcastic-

David and Sarcastic walked into the room. After hearing what Chic had said, David and agreed to stay with the group and Sarcastic had graciously agreed to let go of his ear and was now walking next to Thaddeus again.

Elleb, meanwhile, had remained behind momentarily, to grab Holmes by the collar and brusquely shake him, ringing amusedly as she did, the contents of his pockets spilling out onto the floor.

Sarcastic put her hands in her pockets and walked forward. "So what are the two of you up to?" She addressed both Mr. Tinkers, looking between the two of them respectively.

David folded his arms. "And do either of you know what happened here?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:25 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel looked around as the group walked into the room. There didn't appear to be any threats here as far as she could tell. Still, she was sure she was missing something. Where was the real Andrew? It was as if they were seeing facets of the man, just not the core himself.

Strange.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:19 pm 

Xerox blushed and bopped Jess on the arm, still getting his bearings a little.
"Okay, you? Not allowed to use Jagerspeak." he snapped, hiding his flustered embarrassment with a thorough scan of the room. It looked... well, just like Andrews classroom. Mix one shot 'Basic Collage Class' with two shots 'Dracula's Sitting Room', mix, and garnish with a dash of 'Mel Brooks Movie Set'.

Only...
"Hey, there's something off here. The collage in the *real* world has express rules about the ceilings vis a vis teh fire code. *This* one has cheesy black and red hangings up there... and whats with the papers stacked everywhere?"

Student Andrew looked up groggily and smiled a little as Baby Fredric squeaked and hopped in her hands.
"He just wants more scritchies... say 'hello', Fredric."

"Allo Fredric!" squealed Baby Fredric, hopping up onto Chic's and and nibbling her finger, just in case maybe she had some food.

teacher Andrew turned around, pushing up his glasses with one hand.
"Oh? Well, I'm simply attempting to send through the proper shortcut to make a pre-loaded temporal/script shift, but I can't seem to get the proper focus together. Mind you, this one is a *real* doozy... been working on it for years, now, and it never quite works. It seems so simple at first..." he said, backing up so that she could see it.

The sentence was: 'And They all Lived Happily Ever After'.

After a moment, Holmes followed them into the room, a little disheveled.... and carrying something very angry and loud in a glass jat, which he was absent-mindedly tossing up and down.
Fairy: One
Holmes: One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:03 pm 

I offer baby Fredric a stick of dynamite. He like it in Lemon's head...

I blink at what's written on the board. What an odd concept. It never really occurred to me... But then, he *is* a Hero, so I guess that would make sense for him.

Eh, the future can probably take care of itself. Knowing what's going to happen would be boring, anyway. I look at the Mister Tinkers. "I don't suppose either of you have seen some sort of evil virus thing trying to kill everyone, possibly with some sort of gun, fungus-like curse, knife, or poison?" I shrug apologetically. "Sorry, it's kind of vague. Anyway, we're looking for some sort of core thing that runs everything. You seen him?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm 

-David, Sarcastic, and Elleb-

"Huh..." Sarcastic looked around and tilted her head. "I'm having flashbacks. I keep expecting Prof. Tinker to pounce on a student with some inane question at any given moment in here." She sighed and stuffed her hands in her pockets, looking over at Thaddeus. "You know, it's kinda strange. We've been in the heads of 3 different people with Madness now and we haven't seen anything representing what they were when they were sane, I don't think. It just seems like we'd have seen something like that, you know?"

Elleb rang discordantly, pounding on the walls of the glass and scowling. She hadn't even done anything... well, she hadn't done MUCH. And now she was trapped in another jar just because Fairy magic couldn't cross glass in the mortal world. Suddenly, she blinked. They weren't IN the mortal world. And this wasn't actually glass, it was just a metaphorical representation of glass inside someone's head. Did that mean... She tried using her healing magic thingy outside the glass barrier. Nope, no such luck. She was stuck.

It was then that Holmes slipped up and dropped the jar. As the glass shattered, Elleb rang triumphantly, circling around the room and enjoying her new found freedom.

David, meanwhile, wasn't paying much attention. His hand was twitching, and he could hear the faintest buzzing sound in his ears. It should be brought back to the front of each reader's minds, at this point, that the technology that the group was using to dive into the minds of others was still being developed. It was not a finished design by any means. There were still bugs to be worked out, and not everything had been finished yet. But due to the circumstances beyond everyone's control, they had had to attempt to use them early.

David's interfacing device was one of the things that hadn't been quite finished. Unlike everyone else's equipment, which had been more or less put together properly, there was something wrong with his. Perhaps it was caused by hasty engineering, or perhaps it was due to a short circuit somewhere along the machine's infrastructure, but something was malfunctioning. And by the slightest quirk of fate David had ended up wearing it. At first, the ailing device had only been causing improper sensory data to be transmitted. Certain things, odd phantasms and bizarre hallucinations had manifested in the previous dive, when the group was within Xerox's head. But now... something was definitely going wrong. A slight, yet increasing, electric current was moving from the device through the body of the person plugged into it. David barely noticed it, although his left arm felt strange as the muscles in it kept clenching and unclenching rapidly. But the current was growing... how large would it get?

After a brief period of enjoying her restored freedom, Elleb buzzed back into the previous room and returned carrying a large orange wiffle bat she had found SOMEWHERE in Andrew's mind. It's possible we may never know where. Even more bizarre was the fact that she was carrying an object over twice her size nearly effortlessly. As the great Detective's attention was focused elsewhere, she began to flutter up behind him, raising the wiffle bat over her head...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 pm 

Baby Fredric sniffed the dynamite and began to happily monch* on it, making little cooing noises that would no doubt mortify the Fredric of the real world were he to hear it. It made Student Andrew chuckle and straighten up more, leaning back in his seat.

"All we know is that there was a distortion, a momentary black out, and then we woke up again but limited. And Just where he is.... hard to say. He dosn't come here too much.... just gives us a new assignment every now and then. Hell, Teach there still has the last one up- the 'HEA' Paradox is just our default line." he said, rubbing one eye and tossing an eraser at the chalkboard.

"Hey, Teach! Show them {Loop\Current (End|Solve) #17 Cat|<3?}." he said, somehow pronouncing the punctiuation of what sounded like a code.

Teach nodded absent-mindedly and turned the chalkboard over, revealing a new problem already diagrammed out.
"Ah, good old category '{<3?}'. Fifteen-odd years and barely an inch of headway..." Teach said fondly, stepping aside so everyone could see.

It was complicated, and most of it was written in some unholy combination of algebra, calculus, and a programming langage, but if you looked closely in the center was an actiual sentence.
It read: "Are roses too girly?"

Teach coughed slightly, fiddling with some chalk.
"Well, they can't *all* be the Theory of Relative Cannon."

In the meantime, a certain fairly was raising up the humorous plastic weaponry, aiming carefully, and-
*Bop!* Holmes intercepted with a graceful bock, using a riding crop for his weapon. For a moment, man and Fae were locked in position, each waiting for one, breathless moment.
Suddenly the calm snapped like a twig, and teh air fairly blurred as they traded blows, neither quite gaining the upper hand.

(* 'Monch' being the strictly correct onomatopoeia for Baby Fredric eating something. Monch-monch-monch. Or even, occasionaly 'Moncha')

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 pm 

I watch Elleb and Holmes fight for a minute, perhaps a bit wistfully, before offering baby-Fredric another stick of dynamite. Monch monch monch. Cute. Although I guess we should keep going.

"So what does the compass say for this room?" My eyes wander to the board. I can follow some of it, although most of it is lost on me. Interesting values he's chosen...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 am 

"Well, this is interesting." Wally leaned up against the wall, and took in the scene. "It really is pretty freaky, how close this is to how Andrew would make his classroom, if he had free reign." Walking up to the blackboard, Wally leaned in. "Hmm, interesting variables. Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the importance of the question. After all, that's something that's always puzzled me." Wally turned towards Chicgeek. "I mean, after all, I showed up on her doorstop with tomatoes, and that worked out for me. Of course, you could already have that factored in."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:38 am 

Tech frowned and added a new line of code, mostly a confusing mass of arcane symbols, but the word 'Tomatoes' could just about be made out in the middle of what looked like wild parentheses attacking the peaceful back slash colony.

"Well, that does match up with the {Romantic||Token=X//} coefficient, but the problem here is based mostly on gender values and the prevalence of cliches. And let me tell you, trying to map the Cliche wave form is a headache and a half." he explained, adding a new equation looped in from the word 'Roses'.

"Not to *mention* that we're fighting a pre-set coding here. Line 10-Jagerkinder is a doozy to try and cut around."

Xerox checked the compass, glancing at the equation. Interesting.... he;d seen Andrew write in his freaky mark up code, but he *thought* in it? Weird.

"Compass is pointing at the throne, sweetie."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next