Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:52 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

"Why not just run the pre-set code? From what I've seen, it works fairly well." Not that I know any jagerkin, but I'm assuming it's just 'attack,' which generally works.

I hand baby-Fredric two more sticks of dynamite to monch on and walk toward the throne. Why doesn't he have a throne like this in his lair? Why doesn't Mistress have a throne like this? Thrones are neat. After a minute of admiring it, I begin to search for the secret passage/escape route that every proper evil ruler puts behind or under or at least somewhere near their throne. It must be around here somewhere...

Disguised button? Pressure plate in the floor? Switch? If it's a remote signal I won't be able to find the trigger, but I can worry about that later. Hidden pullcord? I scrutinize where the throne meets the floor. He's strong- physically moving it? Or something simpler- maybe a teleporter hidden somewhere?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:50 pm 

-Spy Vs. Spy Elleb Vs. Holmes-

The two fenced around the lecture room, riding crop and whiffle bat flailing wildly, each trading blows, both evenly matched. Finally, Elleb got sick of it. Diving under a seat and taking some cover, she surprised Holmes when two Ellebs with two whiffle bats emerged (Use of her Glamour ability she gained in an earlier mindscape) Both of them darted at Holmes, who quite logically predicted that one was an illusion and raised up his crop to block the other one.

That was when Elleb smacked him in the back of the head lightly with her whiffle bat, resounding triumphantly.

Fairy: 2
Detective: 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-David and Sarcastic-

David couldn't help but smirk a bit as he heard the two Andrews trying to categorically and mathematically trying to map out romance. It was kinda sweet, in an complicated way. "Of course, this is still kinda getting us nowhere. We should try and press on, and let these Andrews work on their problems in peace." his arm kept clenching and unclenching, and he was trying his best deliberately not to notice.

Sarcastic couldn't resist. When she thought no one else was looking, she snuck up and rubbed the little Frederic on his head, right between the ears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Khan-

It was very difficult to rig up a trap without any thumbs. "This time, I will have you, Rabbit-none-dares-hunt!" he purred in anticipation, as he finished rigging up an elaborate, motion-sensitive net trap right outside the front door of Chic and Wally's shared lab. The second someone came through it, the net would fall, and the stun gas would deploy, and it would be all over...

Some people might question how he had managed to get such an elaborate trap so quickly. Or how he had managed to set it up despite the lack of noticeable tools or certain fingerlike appendages. If they had ever asked, Khan would have politely told them that the Acme Company was every animal's friend, and then growled loudly and chased them away from his trap to establish a point.

He darted into the bushes, watching the front door carefully...

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:26 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

"Aw...Baby Frederic's just too cute!" Amino comments, "But all that code on the blackboard hurts my head. Is that really how Tinker thinks?"

"It's just a metaphysical personification of a facet of Tinker's inner psyche, ma'am."

"Um..." Amino says blankly.

Ingrid sighs. "No, that is not how Tinker really thinks."

"Oh."

"You know, ma'am, maybe we should go help figure out the next clue."

"I already know the answer. The butler-"

"Yes, ma'am, I am familiar with your theory about the butler," Ingrid interrupts. "Now let's go try to figure out the throne clue."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:30 am 

At the Lab-

Sparky heaves a big doggy yawn, and stretches, much refreshed after her nap. "RrrMecha? Wanna play 'nother game of catch? Or parrrcheesi?" She sniffs the air-that smell...
"Cat!" She howls.
"Barkbarkbarkbark! Bad Cat! Myplace! Grrrrr!!!" She runs pell mell towards the bushes-a dog's nose is much keener than any felines.
Kahn is soon flushed out of hiding by a five foot tall, six legged, shaggy green canine.
Lips are drawn back in a snarl, showing truly impresive fangs, as Sparky growls.
"My home-you'rrre trrrespassing, Calvin."
"Well!" Kahn is affronted. "My name is not-"
"Doesn't matter." Sparky's eyes narrow. Like all dogs, intelligent or not, there's just something about chasing a cat...and this one-oh, bliss!-might actually be a challenge.
"Run."

In Andrew's Brain-

Chic gives Fredric/Fluffy one last scritch. "I'll have to try that scritch out on Fredric when we get out of here," she muses. Wonder if she can startle a 'meep!' out of him?
She turns to the Andrews. "Don't worry too much about the code-roses, tomatoes, whatever. That wasn't a romantic gesture so much as a meet another mad find out stuff gesture. And a good excuse for him to bug my lab."
"Hey-it worked out didn't it?" Wally says, and Chic grins up at him.
"Yes, it did, dearheart. Hey, did you ever find what I left in your lab?"
Heh.
"Okay, let's check out the throne!" She walks in a circle around it with the compass, to get a better fix on the clue. "You find anything, Claire?"
Jess returns the arm thwap to Xerox. "Jaeger, smager-don't you know Bogie when you hear it?" She shakes her head sadly. "And I thought you knew your detectives. Hey, Kid! You and your nerd boy can flirt later-we've got places to go."
"Oh, bite me," Chic mutters. "Have I been making snide comments about you two winking?"
"shaddap."
She prods at the throne-lifting the cushion, examinging the arm rests. Gotta be here somewhere...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 pm 

Xerox rolled his eyes.
"Sweetie, I can't tell Bogart from Monroe if it's you doing it. All I end up seeing is the way you stand, or how you tilt your head when you're amused, or the hundred other little details that make you Jess." he pointed out, flicking the end of his cigarette and taking out another from a pocket.

"My personal favorite is #59- you go cross eyed for .5 seconds when something touches your nose." he added, checking the compass again.

As Chic examined the armrests, one of them slid slightly to the side. With a triumphant cry she pulled the armrest out to the side and-
... activated the flamethrower, as it turned out.

"Try the other one?" suggested Ricerca, looking over at the now, apparently slappy-fighting Holmes and Elleb.
"Interesting. If Holmes is the Analytical part of Dr. Tinker, than something about Elleb must be capable of making it cease function. Or maybe something that annoys him is enough to do the trick?"

Suddenly Holmes hand shot out and Grabbed Elleb firmly, as the great detective closed his eyes.
"A little of both, Doctor Ricerca. Although in general I'm not as effective as I used to be. And for the record, sound is a little relative in here. so i can hear you fine." he said, letting Elleb go.
"Your Grace Elleb, I am afraid I must call, for now, a truce."

During this time it was discovered that the *other* Armrest indeed, when pulled, caused teh whole throne to slide back and reveal a staircase. Provided you turned a little carved rose first, otherwise it just shot a volley of rubber bands at the back row of the classroom.

"Meep! Meep! Meep! Kyuuu!" Baby fredric's little root was tapping involuntarily, and he lept into Sarcastic's hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:22 pm 

-Eh, it had to happen-

Khan growled, baring his fangs and drawing up to his full height. "Are you kidding?" About 465 lbs. of angry feline snarled back at the offending canine. "I am Panthera tigris tigris, a Royal Bengal tiger and fearsome apex predator. I am not going to be cowed by some pampered over grown pet, and OWQUITBITINGMYTAAAAAAAIIIIIIL!"

About a house away an old woman was watching out a window, witnessing a very surprising scene. "Oh my. Henry, look! The neighbor's dog is fighting with some big tomcat. How dreadful!"

Henry, the woman's husband, didn't look up from his newspaper. "Gladys, if you've seen one pet fight you've seem them all. Lemme read."

"Oh dear! Now that big tomcat has got the dear puppy in a headlock!"

"Gladys, if you want attention, just say so."

"Goodness gracious... now the neighbor's dog is chasing the poor wittle puppy and barking lightning at it!"

"Uh huh... sure. Have you been taking your medicine, Gladys?"

"Deary me... now the little tomcat is hiding in our old apple tree, and pelting the big doggie with mushy apples!"

"Gladys, Just stop. No one likes someone who makes up stuff."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-David, Sarcastic, and Elleb-

David was the first one down the hidden passage. "No time to waste."

Sarcastic was second. "Why the heck does this little bunny keep ending up in my arms?" Despite her protests, she was scritching baby Frederic between the ears.

Elleb, a bit disappointed by Holmes' lack of desire to play further, followed her human, still carrying her newfound wifflebat. "Heeheehee... this place looks interesting!"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:04 am 

Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me-

Sparky is panting happily-she treed the cat! "You ready to surrrrender yet, cat? I've got you trrrapped!"
Kahn is affronted. "For the last time, you mutt, I'm a Royal Bengal tiger, not a 'cat'!"
"I'm not a mutt! You take that back!"
Kahn smirks-and no creature can smirk like a cat. "Why don't you climb up here and make me? At least I can speak properly. You sound like Scooby doo."
Sparky growls ferociously, at a loss for words.
Kahn muses. "Perhaps I'm being unfair. Yes, upon reflection, you sound more like Astro." And pelts another apple, hitting Sparky square on the nose.
Her eyes narrow. Sparky's more intelligent than she sounds, and she doesn't appreciate some overgrown alley cat giving her attitude.
She howls-"MECHA!!"
A vine slithers her way, and a disembodied voice heaves a sigh. "No way I'm getting involved in this-you chased it, you deal with it."
Sparky gives a doggie grin. "rrAll I want you to do is record this. Can you see the six o'clock news tonight-a new twist on the cat up a trrrree story. Rru you think they'll call the firrre department?"
That would teach that pompous feline-hit him where it hurts. In his dignity.
"rrrI believe it is your move?" Her face is the picture of doggy innocence.

Andrew's Brain-

Chic hurries after David and Sarcastic-pausing to let loose a volley of rubber bands first. Jess ducks, swearing, as Chic's giggle is heard drifting up from the passageway.
"The hundred details that make me Jess...." A slow smile spreads across her face. She slows Xerox down just enough they're the last ones down the tunnel.
Quietly enough the others shouldn't hear (well, Ricera hears everthing, but she's not worried about him blabbing) "What number detail is it where I'm still teasing you unmercifully, when you're really the crotchity old geezer you pretend to be?"
"Someday-justice of the peace, big church scene, or an ordained Elvis impersonator in Vegas. Whatever." She's not expecting an affirmative-or even an answer at all....beside sputtering. It'll probably take him a few years to get used to the idea first.
She can wait.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:05 am 

-Khan-

His head suddenly perked up, and he sniffed the air around him a bit. His nose wasn't as good as a canine's it was true, but even he could... oh dear. This wasn't good. "I think I have a better story in mind. It involves an angry lioness who I just remembered I stood up about an hour ago hunting us both down and killing us.

There was a loud, near-feral roar from behind Sparky as a large paw swatted her tail. Hell had no fury like a woman scorned and earth had no fury like a scorned female who had just caught her boyfriend with another girl. Over the course of 10 seconds Sparky was quickly sitting in the tree on a branch opposed to Khan, with several claw marks on her back. Khan looked down at the snarling feline below. "Unh, thanks Kitten... now I'll just be getting down now, and..."

"DON'T think you're off the hook, Khan!" There was a loud roar and the golden lioness sat down on her haunches and glared up at the two of them, daring them to even THINK about coming down.

"Oh come on!" Khan raised a paw and gestured over to Sparky. "She's a dog! Do you really think I'd-"

"Regardless!" the lioness cleaned a paw idly, her gaze never leaving the two of them up in the tree.

Khan turned to Sparky, whispering. "Ok...the good news is she knows if she tries to climb up after her we could just knock her down. The bad news is that she's more patient than I am and doesn't let go of things lightly."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 pm 

Before I follow everyone down the secret passage, I walk over to the student Mister Tinker and grab his arm, lifting him to his feet. "Well, come on. If Fredric's coming with us, you might as well, too. Just don't get killed, ok? I don't want to have to explain to your boss why the 'student' part of him isn't in his head anymore." I walk over to the throne, keeping an eye on him to make sure he's still with us.

"Everyone else has already gone. Hurry up." I look back at the teacher. He's doing important stuff, so I guess I'll leave him alone. I'm kind of curious about what student-Mister Tinker is like, though.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:02 pm 

Wally follows Claire and Student Tinker down the passage, quickly catching up with Chic. "You know, not that it matters anymore, but I don't think I ever did. Why, what nefarious plots did you use to sneak it into my base?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 pm 

-Xerox-
Xerox had been about to say something, but his face literally froze as he slowly realized what Jess had just said. And because of the nature of the mindscape, a little swirling rainbow disc *literally* appeared next to his head as he slowly processed everything.

It bliped away as Xerox reached out and took her hand, squeezing slightly.
"Alright, but you have to help me figure out how to get out of wearing mom's wedding dress." he said, blowing a smoke heart in the air as they walked down the steps together.

"... Buttercup, why does you mom...?" asked Jess, trying to imagine the decidedly femme fatale Dr. Xerox's wedding dress.... the mind boggled.

"Tradition. Trust me- Grandpa X diddn't get out of it either."

-Student-
Student boggled for a moment, before glancing over at Teach.
"Um. Should I...?"

"Go on, go on. I can manage fine by myself... and Rational Thought will only be able to help for so long." he said, shooing off the image of Andrews younger self.

As Student walked down the stairs, the Throne slowly slid back into place over everyone. For a moment, teacher stood still in front of the board, the light in the room seeming to slowly dim. A few of the chairs seemed to slowly dissolve as Teacher flipped the board over to a new problem, writing slowly.

"Well... I suppose I should have said something... but a sense of urgency is already inherent, and too much fear will cloud their thinking." he mused, as behind him teh cloud of dissolving mass began to grow, slowly creeping towards the symbol of Thoughts back.

"As it stands, I will simply do my best to hold down the fort, as it were. Now, let;s see if I have this right..." As a tendril of the mass reached towards him, he added one last line of code, and-

Andrew's mind suddenly managed to recover from the rehabilitating effect of the Mind Destroyer, pushing back the destruction.

The room re-formed, but lurking in the back the odd cloud of destruction lurked... and Teacher was starting to sweat slightly as he shakily began to write again.

Student has Joined the Party!
Student has assess to PSI attacks!

Baby Fredric Has Joined The Party!
Who's a little fuzzy? You are!

-The Next Room-
At the bottom of the stairs was the next door, which slowly opened after a few tugs, this time into an 'outside' area.

Blue waves lapped on a white, sandy beach. In the distance you could hear the sounds of various animals in a emerald green forest, in the center if the island, which had what looked like a pirate ship moored next to an eerie skull-shaped rock.
Flamingos flew over a lagoon, and if you looked far enough out to sea the ocean slowly became black and starry...
That, and there was a small flock of pixies dancing around on the surf, jingling cheerfully to each other on the shores of Neverland.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:06 pm 

-David, Elleb, and Sarcastic-

David was the first to enter the strange new setting. "Huh... looks pretty happy around here." He grinned, as his teeth suddenly clenched and his eye twitched. He blinked and rubbed his eyes. For a second he thought he could see the... the lab, outside Andrew's head. "No, that's silly. That would be..." Something about his arm bothered him. He looked down to see bright blue sparks dancing along it, and blinked. "Woah... my hand crackles with an awesome power!" he shook it quickly. "Ow! Ow! Ow! Stop that!" The sparks went out, although he could still feel a light buzzing in the back of his head. He looked around, hoping that no one else had seen that yet. Fortunately, it looked like he had somehow gotten a bit ahead of everyone... no one else had arrived just yet. "Ah...good. I must have just hallucinated that. Like back in Xerox's head. Nothing I should worry people with."

David has sustained light damage due to electrocution.

He frowned. "You be quiet!" The odd voice stopped and fell silent, as the rest of the group caught up, emerging out of the darkness.

Sarcastic scowled at him. "Hey! I thought you promised you weren't going to run ahead!"

"Ah...sorry about that." David folded an arm behind his head. "Guess I'm just a bit excited or something." he gave them the most convincing smile he could muster, and turned around. "Pretty cool view though, huh?"

Elleb looked around, perking up a bit. "Oh! Hey! This place!" She rang and jingled.

David turned and looked up at her. "You've been here before, fairy?"

Elleb shook her head. "Well, not the version inside Mr. Nice Man's head, anyway. But a while ago I used to play with some friends in a place like this. It was really fun, except for those naughty lost boys!" She giggled and flitted down to the sand, tracing her tiny feet along the sand. "It's a tropical paradise! But there should be some way forward somewhere on this island, if I know mindscapes!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:20 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel ran to catch up with Jane, who had left the tunnel and was gazing at the island.

"I'm not entirely sure how to approach this," she said, feeling uncertain. What would she do if Jane were to turn her down? OK, best to worry about that later.

"I have a large favor to ask of you."

Jane didn't look away. "Shoot."

"Well... now that I have a physical body, I'll need somewhere to reside... also, I've been watching you... I'd like to learn from you. I'm starting a business, and I think I could find some of the skills you have very useful. In short, Mz. Narbon, could I come live with you?"

Jane didn't respond. Ariel began to suspect she had gone too far.
"Of course, you should think it over-- maybe talk to Chicgeek, I know that you're friends with her. Let me know what you decide. Though, if you said yes, I'd be really grateful..."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:46 pm 

"So what was college like for you? Was it boring? How many times did you blow up your dorm? Did you have a roommate? What was he like? How many times did you try to kill each other? Were you Mad at the time? Was your roommate Mad? Did you build giant mysterious devices under your bed that crackled and sparked?" Questions, questions, questions. Why not. Either he'll tell me to pay attention to whatever we're supposed to be doing, or I'll find out what college was like for him. Probably.

Beach! With... fae? "When did you get stranded on a desert island? Who stranded you? What desert island has fae on it? Wait, what universe is this island in?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:29 pm 

-Student-
Student blinked for a moment, patching quickly into the memories needed to answer her... it wasn't hard, but it sure seemed like maybe the information was moving a little more slowly.

"It was alright, definitely not boring. Only once. No, I already lived at my house then. Yea, i was Mad. I built my devices in the workroom." he said, looking around with some curiosity.

"And this isn't any real island. This is Neverland- it's a place from a book for children that I loved when I was little. It's this... um... place that..." he looked at Claires face and sighed, smiling slightly.

"Fantasy based trans-dimensional pocket universe centered on one island theoretically connected to our universes via flight or a small patch of sea. Susceptible to shifts due to a sympathetic reality system based on the resonance of a juvenile. And there's pirates." he explained.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:39 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane didn't reply. She couldn't. She was too busy thinking.
Why me? OK, focus. Apart from the obvious connection (she probably has all of Prime's files or something... what? She said she could learn from me. What could she learn that she doesn't know already?

Then it hit. Jane's skills-- her life-- was all about deception. Deceit. Manipulation. And now the AI wanted to start a business? With those skills?

Hmmm... it would probably be a good idea to keep Ariel close to her, even if only so JN could help if she needed to be bailed out...

She decided to talk to Chic about it. She could give good advice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 pm 

"Whoa, cool! I want to be a pirate!" Amino exclaims. An eyepatch suddenly appears in front of her. "Sweet!" She puts it on. "First Mate Ingrid, swab the deck! Weigh anchor! Land ho! Argh!"

Ingrid grins. "Aye, aye, captain."

"I wish I had a parrot!" Amino exclaims. She waits. "I said, I wish I had a parrot!" She waits some more. "Isn't a parrot supposed to appear in front of me or something?" She groans, then has an idea. "Oh, Ingrid..."

Ingrid glares at her. "No."

"Aw, please?"

"I will not be your parrot, ma'am."

"Shoot."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:17 pm 

Sarcastic tilted her head. "Hey, Miss Narbon... how did you meet the Professor, anyway? Do you remember, David?"

David responded simply by glaring at her.

She sighed. "Oh, right... memories stolen by a rogue creation or something like that..." She looked back up at Jane. "So how'd you end up meeting him, anyway?"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:56 am 
Heh heh heh.

Jane smiled. Time to find out what kind of a person Sarcastic really was.

"What, Professor Zo-- er, David? Oh, well," she said, forcing her voice to stay light and casual, "he was once an evil scientist, just like me... he tried to blackmail me, so I stole his stuff, blew up his lab, and left him for dead. Nothing to it, really..."

Jane, though she appeared to still be walking along casually, was now in reality watching Sarcastic very closely. What would it be? If she drew back, or stood still in non-comprehension, that was one thing. However, the occasional person who drew forwards... you never knew who had a spark of deviousness in them.

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 am 

"Oh, ok." He didn't think college was boring... but he had his own house and his own workroom. But he probably didn't think classes were boring either... and he got his doctorate...

But there are pirates. That's interesting. Pirates are good at fighting. Fun. Although I didn't know there were children's books about trans-dimensional pocket universes. I thought it was a more advanced concept... maybe it was just an example and didn't go into that much theory. And this place is called 'Neverland.' I wonder if the timestream here is weird or something.

"Pirates and fae and a sympathetic reality system... so should we find the person it's centered on and ask him? How big is the island? Where's the compass pointing now, anyway?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 pm 

Xerox tossed the compass over to Claire, looking around.
"Pointing at the Pirate ship- Andrew's got this *thing* about Captain Hook. And this is just a place in Andrew's head, from a book he read- like a fairytale. Remember, I showed you those books that one time? Like those." he was still holding Jess' hand, and wasn't inclined to run around just yet.

For one thing, he was genuinely *happy*... and for another, half of his capability was busy reviewing some detail from the last room, just as they had left it... what had he missed? Some little movement...

Student coughed slightly, looking at Jane.
"I think she means me, Jane. I'm her collage professor, remember?"

Homes had already started walking across the beach, ignoring the cloud of colorful pixies that had swarmed to dance and whirl around him. He was, more or less, the part of Andrew that shut away people, that passed up chances to connect, who could stay calm in the sight of a death ray...
...the part that was very, very good at a very small window of things at the expense of just about everything else.

But somehow, recently, things seemed to be changing....
At any rate, the main thing was to lead them to Prime, before they shut down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 pm 

I look at the compass and then the pirate ship. Then I start to run forward, pushing Student-Mister Tinker along in front of me. "Come on. Let's see what Mister Holmes has to say about it!"

As we move, I speak softly, so that Prim hopefully can't overhear. "Umm... do you think you could explain the whole 'fairy tale' thing to me again? Prim showed me the books, and he tried to explain it, but I just didn't get it, even though he did such a good job." I hope I'm not turning red. I *hate* it when I can't understand stuff, and this was explained to me and everything. But it was so confusing! "They're apparently stories, but not real stories? Or did they just get permuted with time, which is why some people tell them differently? But why were they written down in books? And why are they children's books? The only children's books I remember were an intro chem book and some basic algebra, and one of my cousins had an intro to physics that he would read to me sometimes. And Prim said they were bedtime stories, but there was so little fighting and insane plots and world conquest... I normally wouldn't ask, but it seems important if we're here. And I don't remember reading about this place, so you know a lot more about it than me. And who's Captain Hook?" Maybe I should have read the fairy tales that Prim gave me... but I just didn't see the point. They were stories about people who did things, but I didn't know who any of them were, or where they were, or anything. And I was never that great at history anyway.

We're just about caught up to Mister Holmes. I wish it weren't bad for Mister Tinker to be Mister Holmes. It would be so much fun for him to be some sort of master sleuth, but instead it's just him being lonely. Oh, well. Mister Toboz and Miss Chicgeek and Prim and Fredric all help fix that, I think. Maybe I do too. And apparently Elleb does, interestingly enough... I'm not sure quite how that works, but never mind. We have to find this 'Captain Hook' person.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:55 pm 

Student slowed down with Claire, walking carefully along the sand. Under the sun the circles around his eyes from lack of sleep seemed deeper, making him look like he would fall over any minute.

"They're stories with no point." he said, smiling at her a little.

"No purpose, rhyme, and barely any reason, concocted just for entertainments sake. Nonsense, mostly, but they kind of work as moral instructions. 'Do good things', 'help people', that sort of thing... only wrapped up in silliness." hje stopped, realizing she was still confused.

Hen sighed and cracked his neck, looking up at the blue sky.
"Think of them as being like sweets. We don't *have* to have sweets, and really eating sweets instead of real food makes no sense. But we like them, so we keep making them. Some people grow out of them, and some people eat them too much." he rubbed his forhead again, sighing.

"I'm sorry, I'm not that good at explaining. I've never been good at talking to people... wait! I know!" with a flash of a grin much more like the current day Andrew, he pulled out a little notebook and began writing furiously.

"Maybe... since you seem to understand the Equations... you could understand it... no one ever seems to understand... do you know someone went insane reading my thesis? What i wouldn't give to meet someone who could read even just that." he handed her the paper, now covered in a huge wall of his odd, complex equations.

"There. Fairy-Tales defined. I mean, if it will do you any good... sometimes I wonder if maybe I just lost it and it's all nonsense."

Ahead of them, Holmes snorted slightly at Andrew's past self. back when he had no self-confidence... before the Coat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm 

I look at the equations, then blink. I read over them again. Then I read over it a third time, following the equations in my head and visualizing it...

"Oh. Oh. No, it makes perfect sense. It makes sense!" I laugh. "Nothing with stories or writing *ever* makes sense, but this does!" I hug the paper, grinning. Then I point to part of it. "They're stories! I didn't really know what that was before, but they aren't real! They're just something someone wrote down! That's what Prim was trying to explain, but I didn't understand because didn't know you could do that! And then the rest of it all falls into place." I trace the equations from that point with my finger, grinning at the paper.

"But why don't you just give your thesis to someone who's already insane? Mister Toboz or Miss Chicgeek or Fredric could probably read it without problems. And they're all smart so they could probably understand it." I shrug, still grinning happily. I can't believe they're stories. And that concept finally makes sense! "I certainly have the problem where if I spend to much time with people, they tend to go Mad, but..." I trail off, trying to count. "Maybe... 10 times? doesn't necessarily mean it's a trend. But if I'm with people who are already Mad, it isn't a problem."

I call ahead. "Hey, Mister Holmes! Did you figure it out yet?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 pm 

-Sarcastic-

She kept walking in step with the rest of the group, and nodded. "Oh, I already know about most of that stuff... I mean, I do watch the news, you know. And David and I knew each other as kids before his family moved away. It doesn't take a genius to spell "Zobot" backwards and realize that it's "Toboz." And you guys were in the news a lot: things like lasers ripping out of the ground and blasting into Mars aren't exactly easy to cover up. There was even some human interest story a while ago about the blatant mistreatment of exploding invisible tribbles that was about you guys." She folded her arms behind her back. "I only asked because I wanted to see how YOU'D respond... and since what you said fit most of the facts I saw from other sources, I can tell it's unlikely that you were lying to me." She kept walking, her expression blank. "Not that I really would have minded if he were evil, anyways... he's an old friend. But that guy over there is right, I was actually asking about how you met Professor Tinker, Miss Narbon."

David raised an eyebrow, looking back at them. "Umm... I'm standing right here, you know."

Sarcastic looked back at him, putting her hands on her hips. "And?"

David shrugged. "I don't actually know. I just felt like I should say I was here." He turned to Claire. "Actually, I've already read some of Andrew's papers... waaaay back in the day. Some old papers about how different emotional states help or hinder people doing certain things. Actually, those are some of the first things I remember reading at all!" He grinned, stepping forward and looking around the area for anything that seemed odd or out of place.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 pm 

Student smiled slightly, glancing back at David.
"Who knows? Someone else might have managed to read them by now... but not that we've heard. I never offer anymore, just in case..."

Holmes snorted again, waving a hand.
"Hah! One part insecurity, one part paranoia. And don't even get me *started* on abandonment issues. Oh, don't look at me like that- repression wasn't the answer either, but at the time there wasn't much of a choice." he said, looking up at the pirate ship as they approached.

"Now, speaking of psychological problems... while I'm sure there is, indeed, a Peter Pan flitting around here somewhere, I beleive the Captain is whom we need to speak with." he stepped up teh flat rock that served as the ships Dock and sat down, clearly implying his reluctance to go up himself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:35 pm 

-David, Sarcastic, and Elleb-

David had his eyes closed and was biting his lip. There was an audible buzzing noise in his ears as his left arm clenched and unclenched. He hurt. The electrical current running through his body in the real world was increasing. Something was definitely wrong with the device he had been using to dive into this mind. He felt like he should tell someone... but he recalled hearing somewhere that Ricera couldn't bring people back in if they left, not unless everyone else left as well. His head spun.

Can't leave, can't risk starting over... best chance we've got. Owwww....zappy pain. Not gonna help if I complain to the others... mad at Andrew? Haven't decided... head hurts. Probably the same thing that caused those hallucinations... can't fix it here... can't risk having someone outside fix it, might pull me out... innocent in trouble, need to save... have to help Andrew; everything else isn't important now... don't wanna be zappied...

He shook his head, clearing it. For the moment it seemed like whatever the zappy thing that was happening to him had subsided. Taking a deep breath, he stepped forward. "Ok, I got this. All we need is to talk to this Captain guy? Sounds easy enough." he began to walk forward towards the docks.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:34 am 

I follow Mister Toboz onto the ship, skipping the dock entirely by double-jumping. Mallet- check. Pirates like to fight sometimes. And we need the captain. Who's apparently named Hook. Alright.

I wonder if Prim will find me a copy of this story when we're done. It's got pirates, and now that I understand what 'fairy tales' are, it will be a lot more interesting and less confusing.

I look at the paper again. Captain Hook's a pirate, so he would probably be... a villain. That makes sense, too. Wait, Mister Tinker isn't a villain, he's a Hero. Maybe I did it wrong. I frown, focusing on the paper and ignoring whatever's happening on the ship around me. Maybe an honorable pirate? It sounded like he wasn't the person in charge of this reality, though... maybe that person could be the villain, malevolently twisting the reality to mess with him... although that doesn't seem right, either. It *looks* like these should be happier stories with less psychological manipulation. Maybe I understand this less well than I thought... Hmm... I try to follow the equations again. It would probably help if I actually knew the story...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 am 

Chic skips forward gleefully. "This is so cool! I wonder if Captain Hook is another part of Andrew's psyche? He could've been quite the villain, you know." Eh, they'll find out soon enough.
She turns to Wally. "Oh-your lab? Remember those bugs you left in my lair? Well, that day I spent with you and Lagos, when I brought you home in the Zephyr? And I offered you champagne, and you asked me in? I bugged your lair, too-and hid a targeting device so I could blow it up later, if needed."
Chic grins up at Wally unrepentantly. "That was such a great day! You know, you were the first Mad I met after I moved in." She sighes romantically. "Wanna make spagetti tonight?"

Jess is deep in thought. "You know...somehow I thought you'd take more convincing. Not that I'm complaining." Grins. "I'll face down your mom about the family dress if you want. You're the only one who gets to pick out your outfit. Suit, uniform, hula skirt-hell, wear a dress if you want, but one only you've picked out. We could avoid the question altogether and just elope, you know...."
Xerox lifts an eyebrow. "Is that what you want?"
She hesitates. "It'd be easier than telling my mother she's not invited-you know you're getting the mother in law from hell, don't you? But...nah. That's nothing I can't deal with. And I honestly don't have a preference, so we'll go with what makes you happy, okay? Let's put this aside for now, and concentrate on rescuing Andy."
"You're the one who picked now to ask, convict."
"I...um...oh quit smirking, it wasn't planned. And I did think you'd put up more of a fight..." She runs a hand nervously through her hair. "Now hush-we don't need to distract the others from the mission."
"You're blushing."
"Hush, already!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 pm 

Xerox smiled, looking away and shrugging a little.
"Yeah, I'd have thought I would take more convincing too..." he admitted, looking up at teh ship. Hook, huh...

"Only I was planning on asking you to marry me when I got back today. The ring's in my office and everything." he said. Jess looked at him in shock and he shrugged.

"We'll talk later, right? And for the record the retraining order against your mom is in my office." he said, squeezing her hand again before letting go and climbing up the makeshift dock ahead of her, mostly so that she couldn't see he was blushing too.
They had to save Andrew, after all. After that... well.

Up on deck of the ship, it was mostly empty- apparently the crew was busy elsewhere. Exeot for one lone figure standing at the prow, absorbed in something he held in one hand, muttering to himself.

"Damn that boy! Codfish, he says... ha! I'll show him codfish... where in the flames of Hades is my crew?! Bah. Worthless reprobates." he muttered, suddenly shredding whatever was in his hands into so much confetti and tossing it overboard with a frustrated roar.

As Claire approached the figure, suddenly he turned and slashed in the air- missing her nose by a thread.

Captain Hook might have only as tall as Andrew, but what he lacked in height he made up for with the sort of horrible, furious aura that could light candles at 50 paces. His peircing blue eyes seemed to burn red at teh very center as he stood at the dock, his entier psoture primed to launch himself at someone and tear their throat out.

His hair was black, and in such tight curls it hung to his back that from a distance they looked like candles. He wore a long, heavy coat of black trimmed with cold silver, and a matching suit of red as fine as any of Charles II.
And the end of his right arm, where a hand should have been, was a long, gleaming steel hook as sharp as Damascus steel. And yet despite his fearsome visage, he was actiually rather handsome and... .. he was...
He was Andrew.

Captain hook suddenly blinked, and the red fire vanished from his eyes. Hstepped back, coughing slightly.
"My apologies, young miss. I quite mistook you for someone else." he said eligantly, offering her his hand.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next