Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Designing A Better Death Ray.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

What? I don;t want spoilers. I want a short story! That's what the cackling is for.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:32 am 

Yeah, I'd like one, too. *grins evily at Zobot* You did offer...
*joins Tinker in cackling, throws in rubbing my hands with Glee*

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:44 am 

Oh dear... well, I'm sure I can rise to the challenge.

PM me your story ideas when you get them and try to keep them simple.

People I currently owe a story for:

Clarie
Tinker
Chicgeek
Jingleheimer

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:00 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Professor Zobot wrote:
Oh dear... well, I'm sure I can rise to the challenge.

PM me your story ideas when you get them and try to keep them simple.

People I currently owe a story for:

Clarie
Tinker
Chicgeek
Jingleheimer

Well, let's take a break from the "Bwahaha"s and talk about you for a sec, Zobot. I mean, you're the choose-your-own-adventure guy on the forum, not to mention the DM of ye old RPG. Is writing a whole story with no feedback really as fun for you?

How about a quick list of things you'd enjoy writing? Genre, setting, characters, whatever, just to get my ideas flowing. Speaking of getting the ideas flowing, think of a story you'd like to see drawn or animated. I can't promise immediate or consistent results, but odder things have gotten me off the couch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:20 am 

I appreciate the concern, guys, but I LIKE writing. It's recreation for me. So don't worry about overworking me.

The only reason I've felt burnt out in "The Second Battle" is because I've had to coordinate several different characters at once, and playing DM for a large group isn't the same experience we've had in the original Mad Sci Wars or in Tales of Madness. I'm having fun, it's just not the same thing.

Anyways, I really like writing almost anything, so I'm flexible. I plan on working on the short stories I've gotten thus far over the course of this week. So don't be shy about suggesting anything, Jing!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:59 pm 

Alright! Wisdom of the (small) masses time again!
I'm sure by now you all know how much I adore planning out characters- their families are especially fun. I could probably trace the Tinker Geneology up and down over a few hundered years.
But i realize I've had an oversight... Xerox's family isn't as mapped as it could be.

On his mother's side they're Russian- a misspelling of their name became 'Xerox' in english a long time ago. On my part, I just thought it would be funny to have a line of people with teh cornies ever 'Intimidating' sort of name. Commander X, Dr. X, Comrade X... I take a lot of joy in that sort of notoriety.

But on his Dads side I've never worked it out... not even a last name as far as I remember.. So I'm now taking suggestions!

Xerox's Dad, the irrepressible Rebellious Spunky Comedy Relief type in his prime, now fully settled in Cool Old Guy territory.
Last name?
Nationality?
Let;s hear whacha think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 pm 

First thing I thought was, other words for Xerox? Copy. Duplicate. But that's too obvious. Then...an opposite meaning? Maybe. He introduced himself to Jess at the Grand Prix as Astrolabe.
Astrolabe Singularity, perhaps? For no other reason than I like how the name sounds. Plus it seems his family runs to odd first names. Astrolabe for him, Primary for his boy.
Nationality? Isnt he from the midwest? Lots of settlement in that area by Danes, Swedes, ect., especially farther north.
I remember a comediane I heard once talking about her anscestry. "They had long, peril filled ocean voyages. Faced all kinds of danger and challenges when they got here-only to settle in a place as cold and god forsaken as the one they left!" So, stubborn and from Denmark? Just an odd train of thought.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:10 am 

Hmm, it would make sense for it to be something odd... or maybe all the odd-ness is in his *first* name.
Denmark... that makes me think of Vikings! It should be something interesting like that, but again I still can;t think of it.

...wait...
Does Xerox's Mom have a *fist* name? Augh, my memory is so bad... XD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 am 

Xerox's mom's name is Rose- it was mentioned during the Prix. And she randomly speaks in pink.

As far as Xerox's dad goes, I'm not sure... I mostly see him through Claire's eyes- Mr. Xerox, the slightly serious but still fun guy who didn't mind when her gingerbread men achieved sentience and who had lots of fun stories. And who was nice enough to let her stay at his house without throwing her in a deathtrap or anything if he got bored. Sorry, that's not much help... and maybe Astrolabe's parents were authentic Vikings? Either time-travelers or just randomly acting that way in present day for the fun of it. I don't know if that would explain anything about his personality, though.

Claire: Oh, help section! OK, so I do the thing with the orange jello and the pencil and the building and it explodes. But when I try it with *strawberry* jello, it just catches fire. Any ideas?

Jennifer: I don't think it's that kind of help section...

Claire: Aw... but I want to know why it doesn't explode....

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:17 pm 
Hyperkeeper

So, now that the story of Amber and the Perfects is finished in the Tales section, I was wondering: Do you have any advice related to the stories? And, would you be interested in further stories taking place in a possible future?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:27 pm 

I'd be interested! Definitely!

As people may know, lately I've been writing about the various deities of "The Mad Alchemy Wars". What I'd like to do now is put the ball in everyone elses court:

What other gods can people come up with for our fledgling fantasy world? Ideally I'd like to create a substantial population, like the Forgotten Realms of DnD had in earlier editions. One of my only stipulations is that any god has to be at least loosely based off of a historically famous scientist or artist from our world (as you have probably already guessed) Let's see what people can come up with!

To offer some help in the Deity-making, here's a list of various divine portfolios that are still open. (Note: this list is by no means comprehensive!)

Protection
Divination
Alchemy
Confusion
Rot
Life
Nature (Wild)
Plants
Animals (Talking/otherwise)
Any monster race
Cuteness
Chivalry/Nobility
Vengence
Evil
Good
Healing
Disease
Suffering
Corruption
Change
Thieves
Dragons
Bunnies
Money/Trade
Traveling
Survival
Music
Memory
Altruism
Darkness
Etc;

Have fun! :)

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:52 pm 

Claire wrote:
Xerox's mom's name is Rose- it was mentioned during the Prix. And she randomly speaks in pink.

As far as Xerox's dad goes, I'm not sure... I mostly see him through Claire's eyes- Mr. Xerox, the slightly serious but still fun guy who didn't mind when her gingerbread men achieved sentience and who had lots of fun stories. And who was nice enough to let her stay at his house without throwing her in a deathtrap or anything if he got bored. Sorry, that's not much help... and maybe Astrolabe's parents were authentic Vikings? Either time-travelers or just randomly acting that way in present day for the fun of it. I don't know if that would explain anything about his personality, though.

Claire: Oh, help section! OK, so I do the thing with the orange jello and the pencil and the building and it explodes. But when I try it with *strawberry* jello, it just catches fire. Any ideas?

Jennifer: I don't think it's that kind of help section...

Claire: Aw... but I want to know why it doesn't explode....

Johnathan: It sounds like a problem with the citric acid ratio. Whenever a compound catches fire instead of explodes, it means that the fuels isn't oxidizing fast enough. The citric acid cycle is one of the steps in metabolizing sugar, and orange jello, along with the other citrus flavors, would contain more citric acid than strawberry and the other fruit flavors. Do you mean the thing with the building's electrical system and the toaster circuit made of the hyperconductive strips of carbon, or the thing with the building mold and the perforated ventilation system?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:19 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Hmm, it would make sense for it to be something odd... or maybe all the odd-ness is in his *first* name.
Denmark... that makes me think of Vikings! It should be something interesting like that, but again I still can;t think of it.

...wait...
Does Xerox's Mom have a *fist* name? Augh, my memory is so bad... XD

Vikings?
Spam, spam, spam, spam, wonderful spam, wonderful spam!
And if you go with the Denmark/Viking theme, may I suggest Siegerson? (I may be spelling that wrong). Didn't Holmes use that name while he was wandering about after his supposed death at the Reichenbach Falls?

Hmm...Xerox's birth mom is Rose, but I don't think you've ever called his mom anything but Dr. Xerox.
How about Katarina, or Anya?
Baroness X, Capitanne X, Presidente X, Agent X, Inspector General X, X-cellente X, 'Special' F-X...

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 pm 

XD you have the idea. You have to admit, his kids re going to sound awesome. Especially if one takes up Mom's mantle... so it would be 'Chimera X'. XD

Ooh! Seigerson... I like that. I think I might very well use it.
And yeah, Dr. Xerox needs a first name now. Hmm...

Edit: Jury's still out on teh good Dr. Xerox, but I know what Astrolabes (maiden?) name might be: Chump.
Astrolabe Chump. Nice ring to it, right? And if it;s a place from the north....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

I was doing the whole 'Tardis Chronicles' thing for a while, and I kind of want to finish it, but I'm stuck. I suppose I could just put up a summary of what would happen- I have it planned out, to a certain extent- but I feel like that's kind of a cop out.

The next segment was just supposed to be Fredric running around a warehouse looking for Chic and Claire (the TARDIS, by the way, *has* been inventoried, and is currently in the company stock of time machines) but I can't get it to congeal for some reason.

What do you guys think about the whole thing?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:40 pm 

Claire, I'm going to give you the same advice I give most writers when they're stuck on something: Write out the bits that seem to come easily first, even if sequentially they aren't first. Then, sit down, and think about how you want to tie them all together. Even if it seems kinda forced, write out the rest of the story. You might not necessarily like what you come up with, but it gives you something to work with that you can tweak and rewrite and edit until you ARE happy with it. Believe me when I say it's easier (admittedly only a little bit, but still) to rewrite something to improve on it than it is to write something out from scratch.

Is that helpful?

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:11 pm 

That is helpful. I'll have try it.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am 

Okay, I have to admit- Steve is too fun to *not* make a backstory for. But I can't decide out of a number of possible choices. So! Out of these, what do *you* guys think is the most interesting?
After I've gotten enough feedback, I'll post up his Bio with the expanded backstory.

1. Deep Old One
To my mind there is a lot of wasted potential inherent in the idea of Chuthuloid Monsters- what if one came to land, assumed Human form, and just decided that they *liked* it here? Besides, humanity is *way* more interesting than an unyielding ever chaotic abyss. Besides.... the family reunion is Massachusetts is always nice.

2. Faerie Royalty
Faeriedom is, in it's way, boring, ruthless, and devoid of much of interest- at least if you are royalty, and thus in the awkward position of having both power, and yet the attention of those most fearsome. Where better to find a safer, more interesting existence than in a forbidden universe? And, over time, the thought of an existance without compassion... becomes unbarable.

There you have it. other ideas were considered and discarded, but these are my favorites. I considered 'The First AI', or 'The Incarnation of Steveness', but I felt like he became too removed from humanity. And these two options are, for me, the most suitable considering his current position in the Hacker Cave.

By the way, whichever choice is made, one thing remains- His Niece. She really *is* his niece... for a certain value of 'Neice'. His flesh and blood, at any rate.
Which means that, depending on the choice, both Steve *and* his niece- Fredric's coworker- gain a different set of relatives...

Anyways, enough blathering. Whaddya think?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:03 pm 

I'd have to say Deep Old One. It seems to be a good fit. Actually, both of them seem like they would be a good fit for his personality, but I think him being a Cthuloid monster is much more interesting than him being fae royalt. It's also funnier.

Plus, we already have a few fae running around. How many Cthuloid monsters are in the cast?

Anyway, I like both choices, but Deep Old One seems better. Although I also feel like you could do 'The Incarnation of Steveness' without making him too far removed from humanity, and that would be pretty great, too.

Steve is a fun character.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:21 pm 

Eh, Steveness is too boring- and I figure the more I find him interesting, the more likely he'll be expanded on. But I agree- the two choices suit him *very* well.

And technically there's two cuthulod side-characters, but they've only been mentioned in passing because I try not to swamp the Game with *too* many secondary characters... But, if Steve *is* one, we will indeed see more of them. Woo!

1 Vote for Elder God, then.

Steve: Huh... a bizzare moment of being in stasis... The steve is not sure what he thinks of this.

Andrew: You get used to it. Eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 pm 

:idea:

You realize that you've set this up so the "happy medium" is the child of an elderitch abomination and fairy royalty...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:45 pm 

:o :shock: :( :!: :!:
..... I... that... I mean... how would that even...
Okay, that's not going to happen, but I must applaud your creative solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

:lol: I'll vote Deep Old One. Not sure if I can explain it, but the option feels like a good fit to me.

"It sure is, my little echinoid. It sure is."
"No. I mean, literally. That's fictional."
"Whatever."
~ Friendly Hostility

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 pm 

Two votes for Deep Old One! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm 

Well, I'd vote for deep old one over faerie. But honestly, I keep thinking there's something else...What? Dunno. I just have that annoying it's on the tip of my tounge feeling....
Regardless, The Steve is cool.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm 

Looks like a landslide victory for Deep Old One! Wooo! Rhy'legh cthulu!
...come to think f it, now I have to come up with what *kind* of horror he is... blobby? Tentacled? I mean, not that anyone would *see* it... maybe Claire.

And The Steve is *very* cool. XD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:50 pm 

Okay! Steves Bio is up! And I hope you guys like it... it took me all day to get together. *is dead*
And yes, the first half is little-bitty. that's because it's not *officially* in the *M* dossiers, but it's still his back story. Just paste the whole thing into a text file for the full effect.
Feedback! Give me feedback! XD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:23 pm 

Okay, I just did the text file thing-I like the back story. And I vote for tentacled horror.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 pm 

Hahaha! Success! Steve is, officially.....
'Steven Blank'! Eldest Son of the youngest generation of ancient formless horrors.

Steve: Yo. The Steve knows the ancient secrets of being. Among which is the orange julus recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 pm 

My first job-briefly-was working at an orange julius... :shock:

C Valente