Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Designing A Better Death Ray.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Steve: The Steve is honored to meet one of the Holders of Knowledge. *bows*

Wilbur: ... Uncle... it's just a drink. A sugary, unhealthy food court beverage.

Steve: *sigh* So young, so intelligent... and yet, The Steves Nephew remains ignorant of True Knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 am 

Bleah. I'm having trouble writing Rolf. Oh, jaeger characters are fun, but his personality hasn't come together like Farnsworth's. And he's a little too Marty Stu for my taste. Admittedly, some of that is he won't yell at Claire, or argue with her much-it's too much like kicking a puppy. But I do like him enough not to give up on him. Plus now we have the Rolf-Claire-Eta dynamic, yay!
I'm thinking about throwing him in completely different situations, with different people, ect. Perhaps a tale, some backstory. Force me to develop him a little. I kind of liked his day at the shop with Kid Atomic...
Anybody have any good creative writing exercises, or suggestions? If anyone wanted to pester him with a question or two in the pester thread, no matter how simple or silly, I'd be appreciative.
What do the rest of you do when you get stuck developing a character?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 am 

I don't know... I usually look at something they do, and then try to figure out why they do it. Of course, that's assuming you know what he'd do in the first place...

Why did he join the black hat brigade? What was the action that made the Heterodynes decide to turn him into a jaeger? What was his job in Mechanicsburg? Come to think of it, what do most jaegers do in Mechanicsburg? There aren't any battles or anything at the moment... When Dr. Viktor was a baby, did Rolf know him? What's his favorite weapon? Why? Why does he like rocket stuff so much? How much autonomy does he have under Kid Atomic? What, exactly, does his job consist of, and what does he like and dislike about it? What was his life like before he became a jaeger? What was his favorite toy when he was little? What clothes does he usually wear, and how does he pick them out? Does he have any enemies? An archrival? Friends other than the rest of the black hat brigade? Is he usually impulsive enough to decide to move to a foreign country after meeting a girl? Did he get his possessions shipped to him from Mechanicsburg? What were they? What's his opinion on the current Heterodyne, as opposed to the previous ones? How does he feel about the shift away from villainy in the Heterodynes? What does he think about Castle Heterodyne? How many random, as-of-yet unmentioned characters would like to kill him? Does the color of a jaeger mean anything, or is it random? Why green? How does he feel about hats other than the black bowlers?

Gah... question overload... I don't know if any of that would help, but now *I'm* curious...

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it- it *is* rather strange he would chose to move to another country all of a sudden- was there another reason for him to move to America? One Boris didn't know about?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:11 am 

I could hug you-think I will. *hug* That's the kick start I needed.
Some of that could come out during the game, some things would make part of a tale, some I can just ponder a while, and I could even answer a few of your questions. :D But I guess anything I answer ought to go in the 'pester' thread-you want to pick out just a few you really want to know, and ask them there?
Thanks, Claire!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:08 pm 

What I always do with a character that feels flat is to just meander trhough their back story a little. The most helpful one, I've found, it the 'Favorite Memory/Most Important event' exercise.
What moment defined this persons drive? When were they lonely? When were they happiest? Always pretty fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:25 pm 

Claire wrote:

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it- it *is* rather strange he would chose to move to another country all of a sudden- was there another reason for him to move to America? One Boris didn't know about?

Interesting idea there, Claire. :twisted:
I like it....

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 pm 

A little contest I'm starting now...

We all know that David had a little sister named Sarah, who is now deceased. Assuming a parallel between the positive and negative universes could be drawn, it's safe to assume that nZobot has/had a little sister as well. My question for all of you now is this...

What name would you pick to Name n-Sarah? Other than simply calling her "Sarah", like her posi-twin.

A good name should conform to the following rules:

1) It shouldn't be something that another character in the game has used before
2) No masculine/male names
3) Bonus points for something exotic or a name with some thought put into it.

The winner gets something...special. A mystery prize, so to speak. Wanna find out what it is? Submit a name entry!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 pm 

Alright, a rather convoluted name entry, but here goes nothing.

Flora, after Princess Flora from the Chronicles of Amber series. Based on 1) 'Sara' meaning 'princess', and Flora being an evil (well, kind of, anyway) princess, 2) the Amber family constantly fighting amongst themselves, like most Mad families tend to (or maybe just mine- I don't have any idea of how well the nToboz family follows this, but it's worth a try), and, most importantly, 3) Flora kind of sounding right to me as a name for her (the rest is just how I got to that name- there were a few I discarded just because they didn't sound right as a name for her- it probably helps that Flora and Sara sound similar).

It's not *very* exotic, but it kind of fits the bill. I don't think we've had any other Floras, but someone should correct me on that if I'm wrong. Anyway, just my rather random submission... coming up with names is hard.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm 

Okay, I was idly talking about this with Mike, since he doesn't keep up with most of the threads here. He didn't want to type this, told me to steal it-but I'm giving him credit anyway! Most of the following is his.
Ann. As in "Annie." Sara was sweet and adorable, and is a goody two shoes angel now.
Annie-picture the polar opposite of little Orphan Annie. Killed her parents, terrorized the kids at the orphanage, with the help of her pit bull, (maybe doberman?)
"Sandy! Kill!" Mrs. Hannigan adored her. And now she has all Daddy warbucks money to fund her reign of terror.

"The rain'll come out, tomorrow,
Bet your bottom dollar (that I'm charging you 50% interest on, compounded daily), that tomorrow, there'll be rain...."

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 pm 

Lilith.
In certain scriptures, Lilith was present before Eve but Rejected the Oppressive Hand of The Man/Was a Bitch/Got a Crush on the Devil/BAD THINGs happened, and Left/Was Banished/Joined teh Devil/Got turned into The Tree of Knowledge, and eventiually was Awesome/Birthed all the Demons/ Is a Demoness/was reincarnated into all of man by the Apple eaten by Eve.
Or moved to Japan and became Ameratseru, mother of the Gods, but that's just a guess.

Any way you look at it, she is both an important, and forgotten part of several versions of basically the same mythology. Is she Evil? Good? Misunderstood? A Tree? It;s a subject up for debate.

Sarah is a figure of mystery, and it would follow that her Alternate be similarly mysterious. Lilith perfectly contains the concept- and since we can inherently assume that She will be the Adorable Imp to our Holy Cherub, a name that suggests a being assosiated with the oldest of Evils is especially appropriate.

...by the way, I only made up that *last* one. Mother of Feminism, Evil Demon, Ambivalent Rebel, and the Tree of Knowledge are all actual religious theories.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Just for no apparent reason, Erin. If she's a little bit evil, its a close neighbor namewise to Eris, goddess of Chaos (Greek). I'm sort of back, but I'll let Zobot take things with Herr Where he may for now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:15 pm 

Question time! I'd like your theories, your wild guesses, on this.
What percentage of the populace do you think are mad/mad latent? Common enough we have a government dept. to deal with them, but still pretty rare, I'd say.
And, once that's hashed out-what's the mad to sane ratio in Xyon?
AND-Why does Xyon have so many mads, anyway? Is there something about places like Xyon and Mechanicsburg that draws mads to them?
I've been pondering this for a while, and would love other's imput.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm 

chicgeek wrote:
What percentage of the populace do you think are mad/mad latent? Common enough we have a government dept. to deal with them, but still pretty rare, I'd say.

It's not the number, it;s the intensity. Mads cause... problems. Big, BIG problems.
Bu it is skewed low- the *Maximum* average across the country (the number fluctuates, for obvous reasons) alive at any one time is something like 10-20% of the population in North America.
chicgeek wrote:
And, once that's hashed out-what's the mad to sane ratio in Xyon?

Hmm... I'd say *minimum* 60-40, Mad's favor. Higher if you count beings *made* by Mads into the figure.
chicgeek wrote:
AND-Why does Xyon have so many mads, anyway? Is there something about places like Xyon and Mechanicsburg that draws mads to them?

Well, there's a number of factors to consider here. For one thing, the government in place is highly tolerant of Mad needs and Rights- hence the taxes supported Empty Warehouse District.

Also M's proximity is a factor- any new laws, regulations, or services as they pertain specifically to the SMRD derived community are applied in Xyclon first, and best. Including citizenship for AI, Jobs, and equal opportunity guidelines. Let *alone* the portion of Xyclons community that *works* at M- it's the government version of a Company Town.

Then, there's the Universities. In tight competition, they offer the best schooling a Mad Scientist, Henchmen, or Creation could hope to achieve, in a tolerant, nay, *supportive* environment. The Staff is primarily Mad, and such prestigious Mad Scientists as the Tinker Twins, Ethan Entropy, and more are alumni. Besides, where else does the cafeteria offer special menu's for those with dietary needs such as 'Fresh Kills', 'Quantnum Vegan', 'Non Vertabrate', or 'Alternating Current'?

So, as you can see, Xyclon not only survives, but it *thrives* on he support and input of the Mad Scientist Community- a Tradition dating back to their early offer of sanctuary for Immigrating Sparks from Europea in 17(somethingsomething).

(Brought to you by the Xyclon Board of Tourism)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:29 am 

10-20% does sound about right. Any other thoughts on the world's sparkiness, anyone? And I'll tell you this much-the percentage of shapeshifters is much, much smaller than the percentage of sparks. Including the latent ones, who carry the genetics for shifting, but can't shift.
But I have to ask. Why Xyclon?
Anything like another city originally being 'The city of our lady, queen of all the angels' now being shortened to a mere Los Angeles?

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:43 am 

That's an interesting story. You see Xyclon used to be called a normal name. Pineville, I think. -Something to do with it's surrounding forest- Anyway the name was changed.

In 1953 a Mad by the name of Professor Vertigo took over the city for a space of about four years. That is where a lot of the mad-centrism in the community came from actually. Vertigo actually was pretty good as far as Totalitarian leaders go. He renamed the city and during his reign quite a few Mads and creations flocked to the city.

In Early 1957 the American Government seized the city. They laid down the base that would, after being destroyed several times and moved to a pocket universe, become the foundation for the M branch. They watched over the city as it became a haven for Mads, and eventually, the system and quality of life that Tinker outlined evolved.

Quite a few people see Vertigo as the city's founder and one of it's greatest leaders. Consequently there is a statue of him in the city park.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 pm 

Xerox: yeah, but due to a little 'accident' someone had in the timestream, Xyclon is retroactively never is/was Pineville... on alternating Wednesdays. Or something. Lemme check my notes...

I would assume the Worldwide spread is difficult to calculate- remember in Girl Genius how they explained what happened if a Spark never has assess to enough education? I suspect there's a *lot* of that. I like to imagine Europe and Japan as a whole are pretty Sparky... and an educated guess at the overall percentage would be something like 15%, but higer if you coundt Minor Sparks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 am 

Another question!
The League of Villains. Are there, or have there been, any members who were villains, but not Mad?
I kind of like the idea...

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 am 

chicgeek wrote:
Another question!
The League of Villains. Are there, or have there been, any members who were villains, but not Mad?
I kind of like the idea...

Sure! Nothing in the charter specifies Madness, and individuals are considered for inclusion based on their personal overall merits. Members have to uphold the standards that the League feels should exemplify behavior for the community. So they try to keep what they consider the *best* and most honorable of every kind of villain in their ranks.
....yes, that's right, Jane is the best and most Honorable of her type. Considering that her 'type' is 'Magnificent Bastard'/'Master Manipulator', this is actually pretty impressive.

Let's see... I'd say there's typically 13 members, and of those usually anywhere from 2-6 are not actually Mad. After all, a main advantage such a villain has is.... well... not being Mad. Some are like Claire- 'sane' in only the strictest way. Some are like Dr. Harp- technically clinically insane, just not Sparky. And a rare few are like Jane is, or like Xerox was- somehow controlled.

Speaking of Xerox, the League has been trying to get him to join for years now. The official reasoning is that he would assure the public that the hand of the Law would be present there, but the truth is they just like him. He's been called in to deal with every member at some point or another- and he;s very charming, in his own way. His approach is refreshing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:52 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Professor_Tinker wrote:
....yes, that's right, Jane is the best and most Honorable of her type. Considering that her 'type' is 'Magnificent Bastard'/'Master Manipulator', this is actually pretty impressive.

Jane: *giggle*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:48 pm 

Okay, I have an idea, based on the imagery I've used to convey a mad going insane. Namely the part where they find themselves in an endless space full of darkness.

What if this space was the same place every mad found themselves when they went mad? Not just in the sense that the imagery is the same, but it literally is the same place. It's infinite in space, so a mad could 'walk' forever and never find another mad. Of course it is a place of ideas and concepts, so two people close to each other in the emotional, or intellectual sense, would be easier to find if one knew what to look for. Of course most mads do not have easy access to it, besides their initial breakthrough, but it's not of much intentional use. You couldn't for example, hijack someone's body or mind, though you could send them a message.

I was thinking it might explain how 'the power of friendship' and all that works, basically several people that are close to each other are sharing intellect on some base level, also explaining intuitions of what people are thinking or knowing someone's alright even though they're not there.

What do you all think? Any improvements on the idea or points that might make this too easily exploited for god-modding are appreciated.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure this idea will get shot down, but it wouldn't leave me alone until I posted the concept.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Last edited by Demothesis on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm 

What me and claire have discussed so far on the subject.

Quote:
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 pm » I'd say no. It's an interesting thought, though.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm » hmmm... I'd leave it up to you.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm » She can't do most of the useful stuff, though.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm » And enough in common to 'break' the way a Mad does.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 pm » She isn't REALLY Mad, but she has a lot of the same tendencies.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 pm » Claire's basically a defective Mad, is why I ask.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 pm » I don't know, Robin might be able to give her access to it, through her.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 pm » Claire: -EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 pm » You think Claire could access it?
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 pm » That would work. It's not actually IN their heads, that way.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 pm » It' could be a place that mads only can access, but they don't have to.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » They're very bubble, for lack of a better way to describe it.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » I'm not thinking hivemind, so much as another diminsion that only mad's minds have acess to... oh that could explain it!
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » It's just the way I imagined them- and Mads in general, I gues.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » No, they aren't a hivemind.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » yeah, I thought that might be the biggest objection.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:57 pm » *minds
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm » Although... I don't know, I don't really like the idea of my character's mind being linked with anyone else's.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm » Well there are other problems with the genetic angle, but that's spoiler territory
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm » That would work, too.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm » yeah, it's possible for me to tweak it as that's just how it apeared to Demo, other people might experience it differently?
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm » Genetic thing?
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm » Hm.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm » Well, I'm trying to use it as a workaround for AD against the progressors, so that doesn't work unfortunately
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm » And hi, Chic?
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm » For... some reason...
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm » If all of your characters had it- the progressors messed around in people's heads until they were all linked by Madness.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm » Or it could be something the Progressors chose/created.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm » Or you could just chalk it up to 'random unexplained aspect of Madness.'
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm » When any of the Umbras went Mad, for example, they were kind of expecting it- so they wouldn't really reach out to anyone.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm » It might be a genetic thing, or it might be conditioning combied with minor reality warping.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm » Demo did, though.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm » I know none of my characters ended up in an endless space of darkness when they went Mad...
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm » oh, that would make for an interesting point. What makes them different?
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm » Hm.
Demothesis « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm » ah, that's probably true. I need to go through some stuff to see what's going on there.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm » Although if it was only something SOME mads did, that would be interesting, too.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm » I don't think everyone does the 'dark space' bit, for one thing...
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm » I'm not sure how well it fits into what we've already estabilshed, is the only thing.
Claire « Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm » Hmm... could be interesting.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 am 

Ehh... I'm not really a fan of the concept. The 'Mad Place' is just the state of mind you go into when you get all sparky and crazy. And I always liked that it;s kind of a different experience for different people.

It;s a neat idea, I just don;t think it works for the game.