Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Xyon X-aminer-extra, extra, read all about it!
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:07 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

This is something i used to do years ago when I ran a Champions campaign. Occasionaly I scribbled a short article or two. Sometimes just a paragraph, or even just a headline.
A new hero in town? A sale at Mad Sci 'R Us? Gossip column, government press releases, you name it. Some articles were just for fun. Others, a sneaky way to do forshadowing. And you don't know which is which....
I did steal Jimmy Doogan, Ace reporter, straight from the Champions handbook, so I don't know if we want to keep using that name here...
Anyway, what do you think? Does it have possibilities?

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Post subject: Re: The Xyon X-aminer-extra, extra, read all about it!
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:16 am 

I think it's a great idea- sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll probably write up an article or two when I get a chance... there's actually one that's been bouncing around my head for a while, come to think of it...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:35 pm 

at least in part inspired by the Lopez Munitions stuff:

in the business section-

DubiouslyEthical Corp. Announces Growth Plan

The DubiouslyEthical Corporation (DEC) has announced a plan to stimulate growth by purchasing smaller companies and their products. Their Vice President was quoted as saying “we at DEC seek to provide the very best to our customers, regardless of how we have to acquire it. Lately, we have been falling behind many other companies, and we feel it is in the best interest of our shareholders to expand out product base through questionably legal means.” Most of the companies purchased were old Eastern European companies that conducted sinister research fifty and a hundred years ago. When asked what use this would be to anyone, the Vice President replied “many old, decrepit projects can be useful with the proper application. We have top scientists researching new uses for many of these old, forgotten technologies. Plus, people like steampunk stuff.” The CEO was unavailable for comment beyond the standard 'MWAHAHAHA!'

DEC has a track record of bending laws and straying outside the realms of common ethics, although they have yet to be sued. This may be due to their endeavors to provide top quality products. It may also be due to their habit of placating those who they offend with shiny objects.

In addition, DEC announced a plan to start selling henches, much to the chagrin of competitor Mad Sci 'R Us, who has until now held a monopoly. The CEO of Mad Sci 'R Us responded with “we at Mad Sci 'R Us plan to continue to provide the best in technologies, henches, and death trap components. We feel that our customers will clearly see the difference, and DEC's announcement will cause no changes in our official policy.”

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:43 pm 

I'm inclined to agree. I think it'd be an entertaining idea!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:22 pm 

God, can you imagine what the Sudoku would look like? XD
Hmm... I'll probably make something up. A sort of 'Local Gossip' piece would be pretty fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:42 pm 

Help Wanted-
Library Assistant. College degree preferred, but will take prior experiance and knowledge of subject into account. If you are a hard worker, and willing to learn, let's talk. Duties vary, but include cataloging, aiding patrons with research, reshelving, and care of gator pits. Pay and benefits commensurate with experiance. Stop by the front desk to set up an appointment.
The Library, Redding College, 1300 Keene Street.

Wanted-
Classic cars and motorcycles. Hot rods in particular. New, junkers, or spare parts. Call 647-8329 and leave a message for Kid Atomic.

For Sale-
Rocket cycles, hover cars, and more. Mad transportation, with classic retro styling. Will custom design to suit your every Mad whim. Cash preferred, but trades for other Mad tech considered. See Kid Atomic at 333 Nebula Place.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:58 pm 

Help Wanted

Food taster to evaluate quality of new recipes. No mutants, cyborgs, or Anosmic individuals please! Must have a large appetite and a marked disinterest in maintaining their current condition. Resistance to radioactivity and/or electrocution a plus. Pay is $11.00/hr plus free stomach pumping should circumstances require it. Please call 190-TAK-SHNG for more details.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:01 pm 

Time Frogs Discovered

A scientist has recently discovered the existence of time frogs- creatures that hop through time rather than space. They're also clairvoyant. When asked for comment, the scientist reportedly stated "actually, they're really boring. Sure they hope through time and can see the future, but it only works in a way useful to frogs. I'm going to go study something interesting now."

The time frogs were unavailable for comment.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm 

Residence of Secret Government Agency 'M' Still Denied by Local Officials.
Mayor declines to comment, perkily offers a lemon drop to our reporter.
See page B13 for details.

WANTED
The return of a pair of sunglasses dropped over 34th and Main street. Black sung;asses, has nick from the edges from a 2318 laser ray. If found, please bring to the building that certainly *isn;t* M at the abandoned toothpaste factory. Reward: free laptop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 pm 

DECLARATION:

I have completed my latest ingenious invention, and with it I shall now conquer the world. To all those who laughed at my genius, I defy thee: Face me, and know your own doom at the hands of my superior science! Mwa ha ha. Mwa. Ha ha. The following are a list of my demands, should one wish to be spared...

CONTINUED ON PAGE 3A

-Xin Yun