Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Seas are Awash With the Sound of Madness
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:59 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

(This isn't a separate game in it's own right. It's a Continue-The-Story-Whenever-Someone-Has-Time-To-Write it sort of thing. Essentially, a game of Telephone, where one person starts writing a story, and someone else takes the concept and adds onto it, and someone else adds more to it, and so on. So feel free to add onto the story. Do what you want with the characters currently introduced, and/or feel free to add new ones. Let's see how long we can take this!)

-Somewhere in the Seven Seas-

"Ahoy there! Word about town is that you're the best shipwright on this island!"

The old man sat in the corner of his shop, whittling. "Aye, aye... per'haps. Who be ye?"

The figure smirked. "Don't you know who I am?" He struck a pose, his brown hair cascading down his head in the wind, the black eyepatch on his head contrasting with the deep blue of his overcoat. He drew his saber and flourished it. "I'm the greatest pirate that's ever lived! David Toboz, the man whose sailed all eight of the seven seas, even the secret one you've never heard about! I've wrestled with giant kracken, outwitted the infamous Commodore Tsiirox of the Pirating Shenanigans division (Well, once anyway.), flirted and fought with Lieutenant Tinker of the same division, too! I sunk the ship of the dread Cleesian Nom Pirates, and I've even been to the New World and back!"

"Oi, I heard that some Tobooze kid-"

"Toboz."

"-that some Topaz boy-"

"Toboz. Toe-boz."

"-that some Bozot kid washed up on the shores a'Goldgleam Island wit a fake eyepatch and a fancy coat an' sez he's the greatedest thing wot' ever lived!"

David paused, tugging the eyepatch off indignantly. "Hey! I am a mighty pirate! I am! I've done, well, SOME of the stuff I said I did, anyway!"

"An' a'nuther thing! Wot's with the name? Thot ain'ta proper pirate name at all, Divad Tobiz..."

David fidgeted nervously. "Er, um... well, you see I'm kinda under a ghost pirate's curse... no one can ever remember how to pronounce my name properly..."

"Why, yer nuthin' but a wannabe pansy boy wit a funny name an' not even a peg'leg ta'speak of!"

David scowled. "Would a "wannabe pansy boy" have this?" He reached down into the one place no one would search, his pants, and withdrew something shiny, dangling on a string. The other man gasped as he saw it glitter in the sunlight.

"Avast! B-but that be... the right half of the Legendary Monkey-Eagle Talisman?"

David smirked. "Uh-huh! And that means I've crossed swords with the Infamous Pirate Queen Jane Narbon and lived to tell the tale. I snuck aboard her ship, dueled her, and snatched it from her hands without even so much as batting an eye." He was exaggerating, of course, but he'd still done it. "All I need now is a ship and a crew, and I'll be able to go after the Left half of the Talisman, which rumorous exposition on the island says is now held by the captain of the Bonny Jean. With both halves of the talisman my crew and I'll be able to find the mythical Blue Light Hoard, the treasure that every pirate worth his gold teeth drools over tales a'." he stuffed the trinket back down his pants into the hidden pocket within. "But to do all that, I need a ship and a crew, so I can get off this rock! I need one of YOUR ships, old man!"

"Aye! That woz a tale and a half, no doubt!" The old man shot up. "yew'll getcher ship, iffn I get ta' be yer first mate. Expendible NPC's me name, an I know the names a'two dozen of the NPC clan who yew got as crew backin' me!"

"Excellent! Good to have you aboard, Mister NPC." David clapped him on the back, smiling.

"A'roit! Now, we'll jess need a week ta' make yew the finest wooden galleon the seas have ever seen!" Expendible NPC turned away.

David's eyes widened. "What? I'm stuck here for a week? Can't you just... make me the second best or something?"

"A good ship'll take time, Captain. Jess yew wait, a'roit?"

"Captain" David Toboz left the old sea shanty sulking. "A whole week trapped on this backwards island... what am I gonna do? There isn't even any buried treasure to find around here..." he was completely oblivious to the black, bubbly portal opening up behind him.

A few moments later, David Toboz went flying and crashed into himself.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: Re: The Seas are Awash With the Sound of Madness
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:31 pm 

Sometime previously, on the high seas-

Captain Smilin' Jess Morgan is leaning her lanky form against the rail, scanning the horizon. A dim mass can barely be glimpsed to starboard, hinting at land ahead.
"Rum's gettin' low, Cap'n." Jess smiles, and turns to her diminuative engineer-and old friend.
"Then it's just as well we're due to make port soon. This time, try to remember-we resupply before ye go huntin' for a fight."
"Aww..." Crazy Emily grins up at her captain, unrepentant. " 'Tisn't my fault that I look like a wee helpless bit of girl-now, a girl's got to defend herself, doesn't she?"
"I mean it. Lessen you want to be left behind, ye'll do as I say. This could be our grandest adventure ever." Cap'n Jess pulls out her half of the monkey eagle talisman, fingering it a moment before tucking it safely away.
"Why'd'you let me shoot him, Cap'n? We could'a reeled him back in easy..."
Jess winks, and answers lightly. "But then we couldn't watched him swim away, struggling to reach shore and hanging on to that monkey idol like the hand of grim death herself."
"But...the jeweled clock on it's tummy! The poo in it's hands carved from a genuine coprolite! The-"
"The talisman hidden inside, which I'd already found. That was the important bit." The captain grins, and casually adjusts her hat.
Crazy Emily looks at her, comprehension dawning. "You let him escape, didn't you? And by the time he found he'd but an expensive monument to bad taste-"
"We were leagues away, ay. Now, to your engines! I want to make port as soon as may be. We need to find the other half of this pretty, and then...the Bluelight hoard will be ours!" Jess grins, and cuts the air with her sword.
"And if Roxxy comes back? What then, Cap'n?"
"Why, perhaps ye can get him to finish writin' down that recipie for rum cake for you. Now, off with ye!"
"Aye Aye!" Em scampers back to her post, all fired up.
Smilin' Jess Morgan looks thoughtful. "aye, Tsiirocks, I've a feelin' we'll meet again..."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:30 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Now, on the high seas -

"Catch him! He's just one man!"
"We're trying!"
"He's dodged everything. He can outrun a bolt of lightning, for Pete's sake!"

"I'll deal with this, and-- UUUHHH!"

The black-clad figure leaped nimbly onto the main deck, the talisman glowing gold in his fist. A number of angry pirates converged on him.
All of a sudden, there was a puff of smoke! When it cleared, the pirates were revealed to have been attacking a large, wooden log.

The figure called nimbly from the rigging, holding up the Talisman, "Looking for this?"
Then, the blast of the disorientation cannon, which Crazy Emily had been readying in the background, hit him. He fell to the deck, dropping the precious object.

Slowly, the crewmembers closed in, lightning running across their swords. The figure struggled to get up, shaking his head to clear it.
One particularly bold crewwoman leaped forwards--

--and was floored by a kick, as another figure, half-sized, clad in black, and with hair in a ponytail, swooped in to aid her fallen companion. Grabbing the Talisman, she held off the pirates with an astonishing variety of martial arts moves, as her partner got up. Then, as one, the two sprang for the rigging, climbing up towards the highest mast.

Captain Jess grinned. "Everyone-- up there! They can't fly-- we've got them now!"

As clumps of crew began to crawl up the rigging, Crazy Emily began to fire potshots with the disorientation cannon. The two figures dodged the shots, some only by inches, as they climbed higher and higher. Soon, they had reached the yard. The crew, well-trained, had caught up and were now within grabbing distance of the pair. The figures began to run, but there was no space.
They were trapped, standing at the very tip of the yardarm.

The crew began to close in. Crazy Emily readied a shot from the cannon. The Captain yelled through a megaphone.

"Surrender and give back the Talisman! You're trapped up there."

The duo looked at each other, grinning underneath their hoods. Then, together, the two jumped off the yard, falling into a perfect swan dive. Shots missed them. The Captain's jaw dropped.

Then, the two hit the water-- and were gone.

The Ninjas of the High Seas had struck again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:42 pm 

(Note: This music might help people get in the mood)

-On Goldgleam Island-

"Hey!" Captain David rubbed his head and sat up. "Watch where ye be throwing...things?" He turned and looked up.

The person staring back at him was nearly a perfect image of himself. Aside from the clothing, noticeably shorter brown locks of hair (Captain David wore his hair nearly neck-length, while David kept his neatly trimmed and short), and the strange metallic arm, there were no noticeable differences. "...Who be you?"

The other man tilted his head. "Huh? I'm David, like you! ...wait! Woah, woah... before you flip out and get into a "there's only one!" thing like all the rest, I'm not from your world, ok? And I'm gonna be leaving! I just need some time before I do! I'm not here to cause any trouble!"

Captain David scowled. "Well, if ye say so..."

David smiled back. "Good! So no fighting or anything like that, ok? Anyways... so can I follow you around for a bit? I really don't have much to do until my ride out of here charges back up. What are you up to, anyway?"

Captain David sighed. "I don't see the harm... if you are me, anyway. I'm after the legendary Blue Light hoard, the most infamous treasure pile in the past hundred years."

"Wow! Really? How are you gonna find it?"

"I have half of the thingy you need to find it. I just need the other half." Captain David grinned. "Just don't tell anyone, ok? The only people who know other than me and my first mate are the people I stole it from, and they don't have any clue where I am right now. I wanna keep me anonymity for right now." He smirked. "No one expected me to sink me own ship and swim to Goldgleam island... They'll all be looking for my old ship, the Blue Rose, but no one will ever be expecting my new one! I needed a new crew anyway... the old ship sailed itself, but it was kinda lonely." He sighed. "Once we find the Blue Light hoard, everyone will finally know that I'm the greatest pirate ever!" He grinned.

David smirked back at him. "Well, I'm only gonna be here for a few days at most, but I'll tag along for a bit, anyway... where to first?"

"The pub. We're stuck on land until me crew builds a ship for us."

The two of them walked over towards a pub named "The Pearl Arms" and entered.

"Hey...one question... do you know anyone named Tinker? At all?"

"Ah, that man! We've... well, we're... er... we're er. You know how it is."

David looked at him, confused. "What's Er?"

Captain David rolled his eyes. "Well, you know how it is... he throws me in jail for suspected murder and confirmed looting, I break out and send him flowers... I clear my name and reveal a web of govarrrrmental corruption while, uh, kinda almost sinking his bosses ship in the process, he steals a kiss and helps me out later... we have a sort of help/hinder thing going on. He's a lawman, that one... frustrating, too."

David grinned as his doppleganger ordered a grog and sat down at the bar. "Wow! You must be really infamous... how many adventures have you had?"

Captain David squrimed in his seat. "Uh, just the one, actually... I'm kinda new at this piratey thing... And now I'm kinda wanted in Britain by a few corrupt politicians, so piracy just sorta seemed natural. Most people haven't even heard of me... and, um, just between me and me, I kinda, uh, got really, REALLY lucky when I stole from the Queen of Pirates..." he grinned sheepishly, as the barkeep handed him his drink.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:50 pm 

Captain Jess doesn't stay flabbergasted for long. In a perfectly calm voice-
"Engineer-Release the Kraken."
Gasps are heard from the crew, while Crazy Emily hugs herself with glee.
"Aye Aye, Cap'n!" She scurries away, with a distinctly unpiratical "Wheee!"
A brave crewman dares to speak. "Cap'n, that thing's an abomination! I thought ye wanted it dismantled."
"Desperate measures are called for. The fabled Blue Light hoard, within our grasp! And no scurvy, bilge suckin', lily liver sneak of a ninja is goin' to keep us from our prize. Do I make myself clear?" Jess's steely gaze brooks no arguement.
"Aye, Cap'n!"
The Kraken. The fabled giant squid that's been the bane of many a ship down the long years.
And Crazy Emily has taken the horrific tale as inspiration to make one of her own. The mechanical monstrosity is released, and the crew looks eagerly over the rail, breath caught in anticipation.
The waters seethes and churns, and a thrashing clockwork tentacle waves its prize aloft.
"That's a dolphin, Tessie! Keep trying!" Crazy Emily shouts out encouragement to her pet.
A floating bunch of coconuts, a spar from an old shipwreck, and an albatross are waved about in turn, Then finally-
A cheer goes up from the crew, as a black clad figure struggles in its grip.
Coils wrapped about it securely, the figure is hoisted onto the deck, and soon revealed to be a young girl.
"Hold her tight, Tessie. Either she's got my pretty, or her partner can do a trade." Jess smiles wolfishly. Ha!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:41 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

David turned to his captainy duplicate. "Well, you must have a big ship and interesting crew, right?"

Captain David looked a bit sheepish at this. "Um... not really. My ship's still being built, and my crew is kind of... nondescript. I suppose I shouldn't complain though. At least I've still got a week to recruit more people."

At this, the young man next to them turned, obviously interested. "You're recruiting? You'll be wanting a Master at Arms then."

"I suppose I might. Why, are you offering?"

"I might. Wallace McCaine's the name."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 pm 
Hyperkeeper

With nary a splash, the larger of the two ninjas jumped onto the main deck. In his hands he held the Talisman, and in the other...??

The other hand held a small sphere, which the ninja threw to the deck.
With a flash, colored backgrounds appeared, and strange electronic music began to play. Everyone, Jess, Emily, crew, kraken and ninjas, suddenly got the urge to bob up and down while flapping their hands in time to the music. This lasted about 3 minutes.

When it was over, the ninja (and his partner) stood next to each other on the deck. In his hands, he had... two Talismans.

His face was obscured by his hood, but the ninja's voice sounded distinctly like he was grinning.

"Pick one."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm 

Jess grits her teeth. "Pick one? Let's see-you're tricky, thieving bastards-"

"Thank you." The taller ninja bows slightly in acknowledgement.

"-and whichever one I pick will somehow be the wrong one." She rubs her chin thoughtfully.

"So, which one do you choose?" He still has that grin in his voice. Both trinkets are tantalizingly held out before her, dangling from his outstretched hand.

"Why, I choose...both!" At that moment, a bucket of tar is thrown at the ninjas by a crewman. They leap nimbly out of the way, easily avoiding such an obvious attack.
Only to have Crazy Emily dump a bucket of rum on them in a fit of pique, as they're in mid dodge.
The taller ninja stumbles, just slightly-but enough for Captain Jess to make a lightning fast grab and snag both baubles.
There's a reason the ship's stores of rum were low. Crazy Emily had been experimenting...
The ninjas were dosed with a bucket of concentrated rum. Rum that's absorbed through skin contact. And, although the black robes cover most of them, enough has gotten through to give them a slight buzz.
"At them!," crows Cpt. Jess. "We've got them now!"
But even with that affecting them, the ninja make good their escape.
Cpt. Jess grins. "Y'know, that square rum ye made-"

"Rum Squared, Cap'n."

"That's what I said. It isn't good for recreational purposes. Takes all the fun out of an evenin' of imbibing, ye see? But it makes a dandy secret weapon."

Still, the fact remains. The rum, square or plain, is gone. "Well, we need t' be resupplying anyways. That's Goldgleam Island ahead of us. With a fair wind, we'll make port before nightfall."

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:07 pm 

"A master of arms?" Captain David raised an eyebrow. "Well, where do you hail from?"

Wallace McCaine grinned. "Scotland, sir."

David looked confused. "That's... a bit far from this vaguely-established Caribbean-ish setting, isn't it? How did you end up over here?"

Wallace McCaine looked up at the ceiling. "Aaaah... that's a tale of woe, weal, pleasure, darring-do, and pomegranites. You see, it all started when-” Abruptly, something went wrong in the kitchen behind the tavern, involving fire, and people began shouting in panic. Wallace, embroiled in his story, continued telling it, as the sounds of the conflagration drowned him out. As the crisis ended, Wallace finished his tale. “-left with nothing but a sea-sponge and a MANGO!”

Captain David blinked. “Err... could you repeat that?”

Wallace looked confused. “If you want, but it's pretty long. I'd rather not repeat myself.”

“Is THAT how you got here from Scotland, Mr. McCaine?” David looked at him, not ENTIRELY sure what had been said, but still greatly interested.

“Oh no. That's just how I got stranded in the middle of the sea without any substantial provisions and nothing but the sheer willpower to survive. The WHOLE story is a bit longer. I'll tell you sometime.”

Captain David grinned. “Well, I'm convinced! You're my new Master at Arms, Wallace McCaine! Head down to the old NPC place at the bay... my crew is building our new ship there. You'll get 5 pieces of eight a day, a share of all the treas-arrr we find, and standard crew provisions plus 2 extra tankards of grog.”

“Aye!” Wallace grinned excitedly.

“I'll tell you the plan once we have arr ship. For the moment, it needs to remain a total secret from everyone. I'd hate to be stupid and blab about our goal to someone-”

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, Replaceable NPC was sharing a drink with his mates. “Aye! Part of the Golden Monkey-Eagle Talisman! Our Cap'n is gonna find the Blue Light Hoard, an' we'll all be rich!”

Back at the bar, The two Davids nodded. Captain David finished his sentence. “Yeah, it'd be really stupid to tell anyone right now.”

Later that night, around a campfire, The two Davids had a slight chat. Captain David smirked. “Hey... I need ye t'do something for me, ok?”

“Err... what is it?” David looked back.

“Jess' in case som'thing happens ta' me, I want you to hold onto the Talisman piece... you look different enough that no one would think ye was me, an' I'll just say yer me kid brudder. No one would suspect our cabin boy to hold onto something so important.”

“A-are you sure? I mean, I'm just passing through, and-”

“Aaaah! I c'n trust ye, ya landlubber... b'sides, I know you'll stay on fer the trip.” He handed the talisman to David. “Besides which, it's part a'me plan...” he reached down into his pants and withdrew ANOTHER half of the Golden Monkey-Eagle Talisman. “Yew see? One of the two is a fake! It's entirely original! No one else in the world woulda thougta makin' a fake talisman!”

David paused. “Umm... which one is fake? The one I have or the one you have?”

“Not telling. Just hide that thing where no one'll see it, an' I'll do the same.” He stuffed his Talisman half down his pants, while David hid it in a compartment of him now rather rickety metal arm.

“Good. Now then... time t'a teach you some swordplay fer our plans.” he grinned, pulling out his saber. “Draw yer sword!”

David paused. “I don't have a sword!”

“Oh really? Well, a'lotta it's just mental, anyway. Let's work on the verbal componant to swordplay and start there.”

“There's a VERBAL element to swordplay?”

“Aye, sure there is! Yew sword's only as sharp as ye wit, matey! Let's try an insult... if I were to say “You fight like a dairy farmer!” What would you respond with?”

David bit his lip and thought for a moment. “Umm... umm... I don't know?”

Captain David rolled his eyes. “We've got a lotta work to do... ok, the correct response would be “How appropriate, you fight like a cow! Now let's try another one...” They practiced well into the night...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:16 am 
Hyperkeeper

Some distance away, the Ninjas gradually recovered from the effects of Rum (ugh) Squared.

"So." said the larger of the two. "The plan went flawlessly. They have the two fake relics, and we have the real one."

The smaller figure reached into a pocket, and... nothing.
"Wait... I think I gave you the real one as well."

Sudden searching of pockets. Finally, the large figure was able to come up with one item: the-- a-- relic.

"I remember switching the various ones around in my pockets... let me see... oh dear."

"What?" asked the girl.

"We've got no way to be sure we've got the real thing."

And, inside exactly two of the relics, something began to tick...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:43 pm 

"Now, we don't breath a word about the talisman. Bad enough we've got those pesky ninjas after us. We don't need all of Goldgleam Island as well."
"Aye Aye, Cap'n!"
Captain Jess stares at the talisman dreamily. "The Bluelight hoard...all we need is the other half 'o this pretty, and..."
tickticktickBOOM!
Face blackened, hair on end, Captain Jess resembles someone who's had a rabbit stuff an exploding cigar in their mouth.
"...."
"Captain?"
"I'll be in my quarters."
Sigh. Razza frazzin' ninja...
Captain Jess sets herself to rights, and dons a fresh coat. Black, with gleaming silver trim. She adjusts her sword, and ponders the remaining talisman. Wouldn't suprise her if the ninja did something tricksy to this one, too. It looks like the one she pulled out of the monkey idol...
While she's safely alone, Captain Jess makes a careful rubbing of both sides, then weighes it. Now, where to hide it?
In full view of her crew, Jess carefully entrusts it to Crazy Emily. "They'll expect me to have it close, y'see. Guard it well."
It's just for show. Crazy Emily's handed an ordinary dubloon. Captain Jess has the trinket carefully stowed away on her person, where no pickpocket can get to it.
And anyone bold enough to search the captain's bra will be shortly missing a hand...

Goldgleam Island. The Bonny Jean makes port at last. Guards are set, provisions purchased. And as long as it's been since they've made port, the crew has to be allowed shore leave. Especially considering the short rum rations. It's a measure of how well regarded, or feared, Crazy Emily is, that the crew didn't string her up for experimenting with such a vital part of the supplies. But she's saved everone's bacon more than once. Literally, in one case, when that disciple of Circe wanted to turn them into pigs and add them to her larder.
Crazy Emily makes her way to the bar as soon as her duties allow. Shortly thereafter, she has a drink in her hand, and is persuading the bouzuki player to quit playing sea shanties, and try a new tune.
"I just learned this new dance! You clap your hands, like this!" She's soon standing on top of a table, singing. "oo oo oa oa!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:25 pm 

Clarissa awoke hungover. Too much rum the previous night. She whimpered, pulled the blankets over her head, and finally decided to get up. She *was* supposed to be working...

Groaning, she swung her feet onto the floor, then frowned. Something was wrong. The boat was too still-

Ah, dry land. That would explain the amount of run she'd had the previous night. It wasn't proper, everything so spread out and no boats and so much land and no boats and so many people everywhere and no boats...

Rubbing her eyes, she stood up, hoping to get the job done soon so she could go back to Queen Narbon's ship. It *was* her fault (at least partly) the talisman had been stolen, and she had to get it back.

Well, first thing to do was ask around if anyone had seen or heard anything about the 'Bozz't' character who stole it...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 pm 

-The Two Tobozes-

David and David woke up at their campsite, and, upon a modest proposal from Captain Toboz, they went down to the pub to get another drink while they waited for their ship to finish being built. It was then that they saw it.

Captain David's eyes widened. "Avast! Do you see that out thar in the harb-arrr?"

David squinted. "It's... a ship?"

"It's the Bonny Jean! The name be painted on the hull!" Captain David's eyes flashed with excitement. "This is too good a chance to pass up! They must'a come here to get some provisions and spend some of their ill-gotten booty. So while all the crews away the pirates will play! I'll just sneak on board and steal the Monkey-Eagle talisman half Captain Jess has!"

David looked confused. "How do you even know she has one?"

"One'a her crewmates deserted the ship a month or so ago and blabbed 'fore they caught 'im. It's well known now. Alright matey... head down to the Old NPC shack at the bay and tell the crew to get as much'a the ship ready as possible. We may have'ta leave earlier'n planned. Meanwhile, I'll sneak on board the ship in a daring daylight raid, cross blades with Capt'n Jess, and claim her Talisman half for our crew!"

David fidgited. "Umm... are you sure? That sounds pretty dangerous. And I'm not bad in a fight, maybe I should tag along?"

"Nay!" Captain David grinned. "I gotta build me pirate cred somehow, roit? Trust me matey, I ain't gonna die." he took the talisman half he had in his pants and handed it to David. "Here... I'm still not tellin' which one is the real one, but take this half t'Wallace Caine an' have him hold onta it. We still can't let anyone know we've got half." He turned and started walking towards the harbor as David ran off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-At the Harbor-

Captain David had shed his coat and tied a striped headband across his hair. Approaching the Bonny Jean, he saw two pirates guarding the ship itself. Two pirates doing something very strange... Captain David raised an eyebrow as he approached. "Umm... why are you two sitting on those kegs of gunpowder?"

Smelly Jack looked up at the newcomer and scowled. "'coz they just got delivered, an' we ain't standing any more! We can't load this stuff up on the ship without leavin' it unguarded, can we? So we're sitting. 'Sides, it's totally safe so long as we keep'm away from any fire or spaarrrrks. Who be ye?"

Captain David patted his chest. "I'm... Jeremy. I wanna be a pirate! How can I join the Bonny Jean?"

Smelly Jack looked over at Ferret Faced Freddy, who looked blankly back at him. Smelly Jack paused. "Are.... ye sure, lad? Ye don't seem pirate material."

"Hey!" Captain David scowled. "I'm plenty piratey! I've even been practicing my pirate speech! Ar! Arrrrr! See?" This prompted the two pirates to look at each other skeptically again.

Smelly Jack spoke again. "Lad... tis true we need a new swabbie, but ye don't even look very piratey: You're too nice-lookin'. Yew don't even have any missing bits!"

"Sez you! I have a fake tooth!" Captain David opened his mouth wide and pointed at one of his back wisdom teeth, which glimmered. "Seh? Tha's an Iwron toof!" he closed his mouth. "That's why back on my home island they call me... uh... Jeremy Irontooth!"

Ferret Faced Freddy looked curiously at Smelly Jack, who shrugged. "Well, that works. But have ye any piratey experience? Have ye plundered any vessels, or found any buried treasure?"

Captain David sweated a bit. It probably wasn't wise to brag about his ONE piratey adventure while he was in disguise. "I found this gold doubloon buried in a pile of dust in the local pub. Does that count?" He held up the gritty coin.

"Well, 'cording to protocol, it does." Smelly Jack scowled. "Ok... next part'a the test! Ferret Faced Freddy! Get the *ahem* special rum." The two exchanged glances. They both knew that there was still a bit of Crazy Emily's concentrated rum down in the stores. "We gotta see iff'n ye can hold your liquor, you understand." Smelly Jack grinned evilly. No man alive had been able to down a whole mug and stay standing. This would drive the young, incompetent enthusiast out of their hair for sure!

Ferret Faced Freddy returned holding a mug of the liquid which was ominiously bubbling. Captain David took it and swallowed nervously. "Hey! LOOK!" He pointed at some rocks behind the harbor. "An attractive mermaid named Clamette!"

The two pirates turned their heads to find a red-headed mermaid sitting on the rocks combing her hair. She scowled at them both. "What? Can'ta girl sun herself in peace?" As they were staring, Captain David promptly dumped most of the mug into the ocean, where a few fish quickly got inebriated, and smeared some on his lips. As the pirates turned back around, he made a show of how strong it was.

The two pirates looked at each other again when they saw the empty mug. "Well... we'll keep yer res-arr-me on file, but..."

Captain David looked indignant. "Hey! I passed all your challenges! Let me be the swabbie! This isn't fair!"

"Look. It ain't our decision, lad. Yew'd never get Capt'n Jess ta approve'a yah. Not unless yer good with a saber or a flintlock pistol."

"I am too good with a sword!" Captain David felt indignant. "I'll duel either of you! Right now, right here! I'll out-insult you and out-fence you easily! And if I win you have to let me meet with Captain Jess, ok?"

The two pirates looked at each other again, skeptically. Then, Ferret Faced Franky stood up and drew his sword. Smelly Jack laughed heartily. "Well, looks like Freddy'll duel ya. But I warn ye... he's the best blade on the ship shorta Capt'n Jess an' Crazy Em!"

"Bring it on!" Captain David grinned, drawing his blade. This would be easy...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-A few moments later-

"Yikes!" Captain David stumbled and fell down. Freddy was formidable! Captain David brought his saber up to defend just as Freddy brought his down for the final blow... and as the two blades struck each other with such force, a single spark shot out from the clash.

As the spark flew through the air, Smelly Jack's eyes widened. "NO! This'd be the third time today-"

The spark hit the gunpowder kegs. Which exploded.

"CU-AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-SE YE, JEREMY IRONTOOTH!" The two pirates were sent flying by the concussive force of the explosion, out across the sea, until David couldn't see them anymore. Standing on one of the few remaining pieces of harbor in the immediate area that hadn't been shattered by the explosion, Captain David sheathed his saber and looked around nervously. "Soooo.... this means I won the duel? I'm the new swabbie, pending Captain Jess's approval?" Shrugging, he turned and started walking up the gangplank onto the Bonny Jean. Now all he needed to do was find Captain Jess and figure out a way to steal her half of the Monkey-Eagle talisman!

A pirate's life for him! This was so exciting!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:16 pm 

"And thrust, and parry, and swing." Wallace walked back and forth, looking approvingly. "Excellent job, now just lift the sword a bit more on the return next time."

David walk nearby, stopped, blinked, and slowly walked towards the Scotsman. "Is there any particular reason you're talking to a bunch of bags of flour?"

"Oh, sorry guy-that-looks-like-the-captain. Just preparin' for my job as Master-of-Arms, you know?" Wallace looked quite embarrassed, and tried to change the subject. "So, you two did ne'er tell me your names. Captain I can get b'calling Captain, but wot should I call you?"

"Oh, that. Well, my name's David Toboz, and so's the captain."

"Oi, alright. You're David Toboz, and the Captain's David Tobois."

"No, no, it's the exact same name. I'm Toboz, and he's also Toboaes. Wait, what? Tobaz, Topazes, Tobosos... Never mind, we'll go with what you said. Anyways, I've got to give you this half talisman. It's very important, so don't let anyone take it, or lose it at all."

Wallace took the talisman solemnly, and then hid it away again. "Aye, I'll be doing that. Should anybody try to take it, I'll defend it wit' their very life."

David blinked. "Shouldn't it be with your very life?"

Wallace scoffed. "Why should I be swearing anyt'ing like that? If I'm dead, I can't defend it very well. But if they be dead, then they can't steal it at all. Unless they be undead pirates, that is. Then you've got to rip them to pieces, and it's all very tedious..."

"Ah, very well then." David backed away slowly, as Wallace continued to mutter to himself. "Maybe you should go relax or something? Sounds like you're under a bit of stress."

After David had left, Wallace finally noticed that there was no one to listen to his ranting on the vagaries of magical curses. Sighing, he headed to the closest bar and plopped himself at the bar. Sometimes, this swill was better than nothing... If only he could get a good brewery going. Darn Scotland for being so far away.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 am 
Heh heh heh.

Goldgleam Island

The bar was the usual for a pirates' haven: dirty, smelly, atmospheric, and generally projecting an air of disrespectability. Rumor had it that the owner had paid quite handsomely for the makeover.
No matter the rumors, the Cross Bones was still the absolute most popular bar on Goldgleam Island.
It attracted all kinds... including a few kinds that the honest wouldn't want to meet.
~
The ship was, to all appearances, unremarkable, but that was only appearances. No one could ever be sure of its size, type, kind; it changed those regularly. Even the name varied, when it was in port. However, on the high seas, the ship held only one name.
The Ruby.

No one was ever quite sure where the Ruby would strike next. Some believed it was nothing more than a legend, an old sailor's tale. One day, it was reported cruising around the local islands; the next, it was spotted terrorizing ships on the other side of the world.
It was usually too late when the ship raised the familiar flag. By then you were at its mercy. It was a legend.
And so was the woman who captained it.
~
The woman walked into the Cross Bones, looking like any other ordinary ship captain: hard-wearing outfit, heavy boots, long black hair tied in a ponytail to keep it out of the way. Nothing set her apart from any of the (slightly) more respectable sailors who chose to drink here; the smirk on her face wasn't rare, and she did hide it when she entered.
Sitting down at the bar, the woman scanned the crowd from years of long habit. Nothing very much out of the ordinary... just the usual. She did get a good laugh out of the sight of the woman dancing across the table top.

Wait, wasn't that....?

The dancer on the table had just turned around, allowing the woman to get a quick glimpse of her face. Well! If she wasn't mistaken, that was the famed Crazy Emily... which meant...
Aha.

Smirk hidden beneath an ordinary smile, the woman swaggered over to Captain Jess, who was watching with drink in her hand (and no small amount of amusement herself.)
"Er... you," she said, feigning lack of recognition, "You look good with cards. Fancy a game of poker?"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:23 am 

Clarissa had stowed away to Goldgleam island. There were the most rumors here, so she'd probably find Tibiz here. First, though, she was having a drink at the bar, sitting in the corner. Ostentatiously it was to overhear more rumors to try to get a better idea of where he was, but really she just wanted a drink. Stupid dry land staying put and not being a boat...

Taking another sip of her drink, she nearly choked. Queen Narbon? Here? And she hadn't yet found the talisman- ooooh, and there was Crazy Emily and Captain Jess and she hadn't even noticed... and she might be sitting in the shadows in the corner, but trying to leave would be a problem. For some reason, most ship's doctors didn't feel the need to give people cat's ears and tails, so she was rather distinctive. Not to mention that Queen Narbon noticed just about everything anyway.

Well, hopefully there would be a good opportunity to slip away. And in the meantime, she might as well have another drink...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm 

Captain Jess smiles easily at the newcomer, a calculating glint in her eye. "Cards? Why not? Somethin' to do before the brawl."
"Brawl?" The stranger lifts one elegant eyebrow.
"Aye. Inevitable. Th' owner has th' cost of renovations added in to the price of the drinks." Jess pulls out a deck of cards, and starts shuffling.
Her red hair is just long enough to pull back into a short ponytale, and goes nicely with the black captain's coat.
"Besides, does the crew good t' blow off steam a little. Don't you find that so, captain? Or, should I say, queen?" Jess's voice holds naught but polite interest, and is conversational enough no one notices what she said. She slides the cards to her companion, motioning her to cut.
"A wager, perhaps? Let's see..." Captain Jess rubs her chin thoughtfully. "I wonder just what brings you so far off the beaten path, so to speak. Perhaps information, 'stead of the usual pieces of eight? I'll even start. Beware of ninjas." Jess grimaces involuntarily at the memory.

Crazy Emily claps her hands, enjoying the new dance the ninja taught them. She twirls merrily, and falls off the table. Into a suprised sailor's lap.
"Oopsie!"
"Ye spilled my drink!"
"Ooh! Talk some more! You're scottish, right?"
"Are you daft, woman?"
"Yes! That's great! You don't really eat haggis do you? That's so gross."
"I-"
"Nice flintlocks-wanna see the ones I made?"
"You-"
"Cannons are nice, too. Want some rum? No, nevermind." She tucks the flask back inside her skirt. "Getting my weapons and my drinks mixed up again. I'm Em. You don't talk much-are you shy? Are you sticking around for the brawl?"
Crazy Em waves over a barmaid, grabs two mugs from her tray, sets them down, grabs the tray of drinks, and motions for the barmaid to pick up the two mugs and go. She takes a hefty swig, allowing the stranger an opportunity to get a word in edgewise.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:45 pm 
Heh heh heh.

So that was how it was, was it?

Both women stared at each other, as if daring the other to blink. The smirk reappeared on Jane's face as she cut the cards, neatly sneaking a peek at the top few.

"Very well... information. I'm looking for someone."

Carefully, she slid the deck back over to Jess, letting her deal. This would be very, very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:44 pm 

Her boss seemed to be a bit distracted playing cards. Taking advantage of the situation, Clarissa scurried out of the bar. Hopefully, she hadn't been seen.

She started to cast around for Tibaz's scent. She was pretty sure she could remember it, and that would be the easiest way to track him down... Well, as long as he was somewhere on the island, at any rate.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:44 am 

The two captains are focused on their 'friendly' game, the chatter around them ignored. Clairissa sneaks out easily.
"Read 'm and weep."
"Bah."
Cards are shuffled once more. "So, you're looking for someone, are you? I'm looking for...something."
"You lost that hand, you owe me more than that. Pay up."
Captain Jess sighes. "Let's just say...something I've had a while. I'm looking to complete the set."
"And the ninjas?"
Jess grins. "Nice try. Let's see how you do this hand."
Pirate Queen Jane returns her grin. This is turning out to be fun.

Meanwhile, Smelly Jack grimly dogpaddles towards shore. Something tugs on his leg...
It's Clamette. "hello, sailor, and...phew!" The mermaid wrinkles her nose, and backs away from the bubbles in the brine.
Leaving Smelly Jack to perservere on his own.
Ferret Faced Franky is faring better. A colony of sea otters likes the look of this human, and is helping him back to harbour.
"Aye, squeek squeeken to you, too." At this rate, he'll be back and have another keg of gunpowder bought before the captain returns.
He hopes.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am 

-Captain David-

"Halt! Who be ye?"

A crewmember had stopped him.

"Me?" Captain David paused, then held up the mop he'd found in a closet. "I'm... um... Jeremy Irontooth! The new swabbie! Cap'n Jess sent me over to swab the deck before we set sail....yar?"

The pirate examined him... and then shrugged. "Alright. Whatever you do, though don't go in the Captain's Quarters."

-Inside the Captain's Quarters-

"Geeze... Captain Jess has strange taste... why would anyone..." he looked at a Admiral Tsiirocks plushy he had unearthed from her clothing chest and tossed it aside. "Where is that Talisman? Come on... I'm already not going to get a chance to swordfight her, at LEAST I need to make off with it..."

He unearthed something odd... a scrap of paper. "Wait... this looks like..." he paused. "A rubbing of the other half of the Monkey-Eagle talisman! That's strange... maybe I could..." He stuffed it in his pocket. "Ok, now I just need to escape from the ship."

-Onboard Captain Jess's Ship-

"Hey? Where's the new swabbie?"

There was a loud splash from overboard the ship, which sounded suspiciously like someone trying to sneak out a porthole and tripping and falling out of it, landing in the water with a rather painful bellyflop.

"Who cares? Get back t'work scrubbing the barnacles offa the hull!"

On the beach nearby, Captain David pulled himself to shore and grinned. "The perfect crime! I stole something that might be useful, AND trashed Captain Jess' room! And the best part is, everyone will know it was me! Now I just need to get back to the NPC's shack so we can sail off the island!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:14 pm 

Clarissa snuck up on a figure in the distance- that was certainly Captain Tobooz. She could smell him. Silently withdrawing her cutlass, she pounced, grabbing him and holding the sword to his throat. "Now, Captain, why don't we discuss some property you have that doesn't belong to you..." What luck! She could be back on Queen Narbon's ship by dawn...

"What? Claire?"

He feigned confusion well, but she wasn't fooled. "You know perfectly well who I am! Stop playing stupid! Either give back the talisman half, or I'll kill you and take it back!" She moved the sword closer, so that it was touching his skin. "Come on! I don't have all night!"

"But- I don't-"

"Give it back!" This was irritating... Queen Narbon might be annoyed if she killed him, but she needed to get the talisman half back!

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:21 pm 

Two dripping wet sailors look shamefacedly down at the deck. "Aw, 'twasn't our fault, Ma'am." Ferret Face scuffs the toe of his boot. "I mean-how was we ta know that..."
Smelly Jack leaps in to finish. "'Twas Jeremy Irontooth himself it was!"
The first mate cocks her brow.
"Who?"
"Why, ye mean ta tell me ye've never heard o' that thievin' rascal?" Ferret Face is astonished.
"I recollect the time he stowed away wi' that high seas circus. Right in the bear's cage, too!" Smelly chimes in.
The first mate pauses. "You know, I thought the name sounded familiar." She can't appear ignorant in front of the crew!
"Familiar? I should think so! And ye say he came on board, bold as brass, as th' new swabbie?"
And thus a legend is born.
"All right." She makes a swift decision. "We'd best send for the Captain."
The two sailors exchange looks.
"Um...don't ye think yer bein' a bit hasty there?"
"After all, not like any harm was done-th' crew scared him off right quick."
"Nonsense! Only the captain can tell us what's missin' from her quarters. Tis lucky he was interrupted before he could take that voodoo doll that Granny Risk, Terror of the Swamp, made up special."
Smelly murmurs softly to Ferret-"looked like a carrrnival plushie 't me..."
"You two-enough backtalk! Go find the captain, and see that you step lively! Be sure to tell her of that paper he dropped in his haste."
"Ye mean that terrible bit o' rhymin'?" Ferret Face scratches his scalp.
"Aye. Irontooth's obviously a fighter, not a poet. 'How art thou like an orange? None would ever call thee morange...' And it gets worse. Look where he starts over- 'Yer as pretty as a piece of silver, um...ilver, milver, oh bother'. What does that tell ye, lads?"
Smelly pauses. "Um...that he be in need of a good rhyming dictionarrry? And perhaps a thesaurus?"
"No, ye daft poltroon!" The mate shakes her head in a superior fashion. "The dread Irontooth has lost his black heart to our captain. Now, off with ye!"
Smelly and Ferret Face step briskly towards the bar.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:25 pm 

"You know, devil woman, if ye would be slowing down, I could be speaking a bit more." Wallace took a swig from one of the drinks on the tray, making a face at the unfamiliar tastes before continuing. "M'name's Wallace, miss, and I wasn't planning on sticking around, though a brawl do sound fun. What kinda fisticuffs will be going down, Em?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:01 pm 

"Devil woman?" Crazy Emily cocks her head, then shrugs. "I've been called worse. Especially by those I've aimed weapons at." Grinning at Wallace, she continues. "What kind of brawl? The usual-fists and feet flying, chairs smashed. Such a silly question! Are you sure you can't stay?" She looks at him, disappointment in her voice.
"Duty. I'll be havin' to head back to my ship, Miss Em."
"Aww...I won't need to for a while. Not with the captain playing cards still." She waves a hand to indicate the table. "That's Captain Jess, and I don't know the other. What's your ship, Wallace? It's a shame, we could use a new crewman."
"There ye go, not slowin' down again."
"You do talk pretty. What's with the face, don't you like rum? Do you like whisky? I've got a bottle of whisky in the galley. Glen...something or other. Glenlivit? It may not be any good-it's a good 20 years old-but you're welcome to it if you want. Do you have time for a walk?"
She stands up, stretching, and twirls one last time.
Wallace sees a seaman at the next table dig an elbow into his companion's side, as he whispers loudly-"that there's Crazy Emily! That poor swabbie's either a brave man, or an idiot!"
His companion snickers, and whispers back-"maybe he's both?"
Emily smiles brightly at Wallace, and with lightning speed, pulls out a flintlock pistol, and shoots the bottle the two sailors were sharing.
"Oopsie! Silly old hair trigger!" And giggles, before draining a mug of grog.

Smelly Jack and Ferret Face Franky trudge to the bar.
"Ye had to mention Jeremy Irontooth. What was with all that balderdash?"
"Hey, we couldn't let them think a mere swabbie got the better of us! Oh, no."
"What?"
"The captain's playin' cards. She won't thank us for interruptin' her. Remember Martinique?"
"Martinique...aye. What say we wet our whistle before passin' on the message?"
"But the first mate..."
"Niver said we couldn't."
The two belly up to the bar.
"We'll pass along the message. When an opportunity presents itself. Wouldn't do to interrupt, now would it?"
"No, not at all. Barkeep! Grog, and make it snappy!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 am 

Wallace grins and stands up. "Ye know, I think I'd like to be trying that whiskey. And mebbe ye can show me how you learned to shoot like that?"

"Won't you have to be getting back to your ship before then?"

"Well, I don't recall ever exactly telling them when I was going to be getting back, so I s'pose I could spend a bit of time wit' ye, iffn' ye don't mind?"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 pm 
Heh heh heh.

chicgeek wrote:
The two captains are focused on their 'friendly' game, the chatter around them ignored. Clairissa sneaks out easily.
"Read 'm and weep."
"Bah."
Cards are shuffled once more. "So, you're looking for someone, are you? I'm looking for...something."
"You lost that hand, you owe me more than that. Pay up."
Captain Jess sighes. "Let's just say...something I've had a while. I'm looking to complete the set."
"And the ninjas?"
Jess grins. "Nice try. Let's see how you do this hand."
Pirate Queen Jane returns her grin. This is turning out to be fun.

At the card table, the 'battle' had heated up. The two were evenly matched. Both had on their poker faces-- Jane, her smirk; Jess, her grin.

"All right, you win that one," said Jane, a bit grumpily. "OK then... This someone... he stole... a thing that was very precious to me. I've been trying to find its like."

Grabbing the cards, she shuffled them dexterously, in a way that looked normal.
Let's see you play your way out of that, 'Captain'...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 am 

Wallycaine wrote:
Wallace grins and stands up. "Ye know, I think I'd like to be trying that whiskey. And mebbe ye can show me how you learned to shoot like that?"

"Won't you have to be getting back to your ship before then?"

"Well, I don't recall ever exactly telling them when I was going to be getting back, so I s'pose I could spend a bit of time wit' ye, iffn' ye don't mind?"

Crazy Emily shrugs, elaboratly casual. "No, I don't mind...." And the two amble out the door, Em never notices Smelly and Ferret Face bellying up to the bar.
Em draws her flintlocks, and takes the occasional potshot at interesting targets as they walk, just for fun. The steeple, a rock....oops.
From her rock, Clamette makes a rude gesture at the pair. Em waves back, cheerily.
"There she is. The Bonny Jean. You'll never find a swifter ship, search the seas how you will. Try saying that three times fast!" Grinning, she waves at the sailor on barnacle duty, and leads Wallace up the gangplank.
Once at the tidy galley, she strides in like she owns the place, and goes straight to a cupboard. The cooks is chopping vegetables with a wicked set of cleavers, moving so fast they're a blur. He justs grunts, and doesn't bother looking up.
"Here it is, behind the pickled prunes!" Em retrieves a dusty bottle.
One look at the dusty label has Wallace's mouth watering. How did such a fine bottle end up here?
"Pickled prunes?"
"Why do you think no one found this? Who'd look farther?" Em leads him away, chatting. "That's Devil Hand Mulligan. Don't enter the galley alone, okay? No one does."
"Ye didn't mind."
"Eh, sometime I feel like using it. And he's more scared of me than I of him." Her voice is matter of fact. "Now, a bit of privacy. Unless you fancy having to share that bottle. You know, you really should develop a taste for rum, you silly."
Crazy Em starts climbing the rigging like a monkey. She still has the bottle, so Wallace perforce must follow.
"Come on, McCaine!" She hums as they go. The tune's hauntingly familiar...
"What're ye humming, lass?"
"Oh, it's by an old irishman. Van Morrison? Or was it Elmer?" Without promting, she starts to sing softly, after handing him the bottle.
From the crow's nest-
"We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it
I dont have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic
And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when that fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I dont have to fear it
I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic
Come on girl..."

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm 

-David-

"Oh! I get it now!" A flash of recognition lit up David's eyes as he stared at Clarissa. "You aren't who I know, although I know a you, and I'm not who you know, although you're mad at a me!" He grinned, happy that he'd figured it out.

"Huh?" Clarissa looked at him for a moment, perplexed. "Cease yer flinging a'pronouns, you lily-livered log!"

David winced as he felt her sword press against his neck. This didn't look good. Any attempt he made to escape would probably hurt him badly. He didn't quite know what was going on, and alt-Claire didn't seem to want to talk. Then, he managed to catch sight of his alternate's hat poking out above a nearby bush, and suddenly he had a plan. He needed to stall... and keep this alt-Claire confused. And the best way to do that was... he grinned. "But first you should stop licking that frog!"

Clarissa looked confused again. "W-was that an attempt at insult sword-fighting?"

David unleashed his next verbal assault. "You remind me of a day when the fish aren't biting!" he was having fun with this, not noticing Captain David cringing in the bushes.

Clarissa hissed. "You aren't making sense! Stop that!"

"Only if you put on a tie and top hat!"

"Your insults are terrible! And besides no one insult-swordfights anymore! It's passe!"

"Are those your ears, or mounds of river clay?!?" David smirked.

Abruptly, a bucket filled with kumquats and coconuts dropped out of a tree, landing on Clarissa's head. Captain Toboz jumped out the tree, landing on the ground. "Sorry I was late! I had to find something good for head-clunking. Geeze, is that Clarissa?" he poked her unconscious body. "I didn't expect to see her again... especially not here. That's not good... if she's here that means Captain Narbon is probably nearby as well."

"Captain Narbon? Jane's here already?" David looked nervous. "Dang... I wish you'd told me what you were getting into. If only the power source on my portal spawner didn't take so long to recharge these days, I'd just jump out of here. It used to just take hours, and lately it's been taking days." he poked Clarissa with a stick, making sure she was really unconscious. "So what do we do now?"

"We're just gonna have to set sail, even if the ship isn't fully done yet. I wasn't able to find the Talisman half, but I think I found something almost as good... I just need to see someone about something, but to do that we have to go to a different island..."

"Someone about what now?" David raised an eyebrow.

Captain Toboz tilted his hat back as he bent down to swipe Clarissa's cutlass, as well as the coinpurse he found at her waist and a few gemstones and jewels he found in an inside pocket on her outfit. "Hmm... why is she carrying a pouch of gunpowder too? I guess I'll take that..."

"Are... what are you doing?"

"Um... stealing?"

"From Clarissa?"

"It's not like she and I are mateys, matey." He helped himself to what looked like a treasure map of sorts, as well as the other papers she had on her. "She works for the most sea-seasoned pirate queen wot's ever lived... an' I stole from 'er boss. We gotta be practical."

"But-"

"I'll give you the gunpowder."

"Deal." David took the pouch of gunpowder from Captain Toboz, who also handed him the cutlass. "You gotta work on yer comebacks now that we've got you a proper sword, matey. Yer insultin' technique is just terrible." he winced as he thought about it again. "Now come on... we need to go see Minerva, the voodoo lady, on Darkmist isle..."

"Minerva?" David tilted his head. The name sounded familiar to him.

"Yeah. She's an old book-collector that dabbles in voodoo. She helped me out when I was on the run from Admiral Tsiirocks and getting out of England. She says she communes with some sort of greater entity or something... some "The Steve" creature, though I've never understood it. And I bet with what I found in Captain Jess's cabin she can help us make another working half of the Eagle-Monkey Talisman, so we can find the Bluelight hoard without even having to fight anyone else."

"The...Steve?" David paused. The name sounded familar. He was sure he'd heard it before, somewhere... it reminded him of M back home for some reason. If only he could remember where he'd heard it, it might be a way to help him find his way home... "Wait... you said her home was on Darkmist, right?"

"Aye... why do ye ask?"

"Because... I just saw a sign that says "Minerva's House of Voodoo, this way: 5 Miles" right over there..." he pointed at the sign...

Captain Toboz raised an eyebrow. "Wot tha... you're right! Let's check this out, matey." The two of them took off running in the direction the sign pointed.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:44 pm 

~5 minutes later~

Clarissa stirred slightly. Ugh... another headache... She really didn't think she'd had that much rum... and it was cold and the bed was hard...

She opened her eyes and groaned. She'd fallen asleep outside?! That was pretty bad... A run through told her her cutlass was missing, *and* her primary coinpurse, *and* some backup gems she had, *and* one of her bags of gunpowder...

And- and- her ears drooped with the realization. All the notes and schematics she'd gotten from her family... all gone... No... How could she have been so *stupid* to fall asleep where- maybe she could find the scent of whoever took them-

Wait a minute, Captain Toopz's scent was all over her! And it was still night. And she wasn't even that drunk anyway- she had caught him and he had been acting really weird, even for him...

She frowned, confused. Why did it almost seem like there were two seperate scents- one of them was kind of a weird metallic-

No, that wasn't important. She was going to find him, and then she was going to take back the notes, and then she was going to thrash him. And then maybe try to get the talisman half back for Queen Narbon.

Grrr... his smell wasn't that old, and if she hurried she might be able to catch up before he sailed off somewhere. She wanted her stuff back!

Spam Poison. I think.