Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Mad Scientist Wars: A Halloween Party II
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Hyperkeeper

It was not a dark and stormy night.

Fall this year had been unusually quiet, as if saving up its sound and fury for one particular day. That day hadn't come, and the weather was calm and peaceful, with only a light wind blowing a few discarded leaves in curls of autumn.

As day paled into darkness, the stars came out, seeming to shine extra brilliantly for the occasion. The wind, in defiance of narrative suggestion, stayed warm, acting more as a friendly guide than an ill omen for the night. And what a night....

All over the country-- all over the world, this night was different from others. On this night, the walls of the real wore thin, letting free unseen possibilities. On this night, people celebrated their own little nights of possibility and wilderness. On this night, people in costume visited houses. Ghosts and devils danced in the streets, cavorting to their own twisted music. Superstitious people stayed indoors, while those less so took the opportunity to become something they were not.

And on this night of ghouls and goblins, on this night of magic and mischief, on this night of treats and trickery, a party, in one corner of one city of one county of one country of one world, began to begin....

Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars: A Halloween Party II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:46 am 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Jane and Chic take one last look around the room before the guests arrive.
Room? More of a cavern. Chic grins, remembering talking Xerox into not only letting them use some of M's other dimensional space, but vastly modifying the area, to boot.
It's a true witch's cave. Immense, with smoldering torches, and strange patches of glowly fungi on the wall. Mostly for atmosphere-very discreet track lighting has been installed, so people will have no problem seeing.
But there's plenty of dark corners, some with monstrous eyes gleaming sinisterly from the shadows. Stalactites, stalagmites. Seating sculpted from the living rock.
Two stone thrones for the hostesses, of course.
Bats swoop, giant spiders scuttle across the ceiling. Bubbling cauldrons of punch scattered here and there. Dry ice, to make creepy, mysterious mist.
The buffet table is loaded with tasty treats. Ice cube eyeballs float gruesomely in the punch. Trays of candy bugs, realistic enough to make you hesitate before taking a bite. Decorated cookies, and more. And the obligatory dish of mints.
Desdemona has been hired away from the coffee shop for the night. She presides over her own area, ready to brew tea, coffee, poison mulled cider-the usual.
Wally, of course, has been prevailed upon to set up karaoke. They've also hired a musician. No one they've ever heard of, but his agent was persuasive. A Cary Elway-ish blonde, dressed in an outfit that makes you think Robin Hood, is tuning up his stratocaster.
All the guests have been told to dress for the occasion. There'll be a costume contest, with prizes for Best Costume, Best Group Costume, Most Original, and Scariest.
Speaking of costumes, Chic is all decked out as a Gypsy Queen. Not an old hag, but a young, vibrant one. Brightly colored skirts, bangles, and in lieu of a clockwork sparrow, she's taken a page from her alternate and created a clockwork raven for the occasion.
Jane's wearing a form-fitting navy dress, with long sleeves, buttons on the top half, and a skirt that goes down to her ankles, revealing splashes of heavy-duty heeled boots. She looks a bit like a schoolteacher. Only a few things-- the necklace of magic symbols, the snake coiled around her neck like a second one, the face just a little unearthly in its beauty, the polished broom she's holding like a staff, and (of course) the traditional pointy hat, mark her out for what she is. For tonight, Jane is a witch.
In deference to the party atmosphere, she's put a flower in her hair. It exudes its own subtle perfume, enticing others to come closer.
There's even a reporter from the Mad Science Network, standing by a wall and already looking a little freaked out. A camera-bot's hovering over her shoulder, and she's gripping her microphone tightly. Her face is unreadable.
The door creaks open for the first guests.
Let the fun begin...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:23 am 

I'm wearing my usual coat over a t-shirt and jeans. I told Mistress and Miss Chicgeek that I'd change when the rest of the people in my group get here...

My cell phone zaps me, and I hurries outside, where Jennifer, Crash and Archimedes are waiting. Archimedes leaps on me, licking my face and wagging his tail. Nnnn... Eventually, Jennifer finally pulls him off me. She grins. "Ready to change into your costume?"

"I don't like my costume..."

"Claire..."

"Yes, I'm ready."

It doesn't take long, and soon we can go back to the party. I really like the decorations Mistress and Miss Chicgeek came up with.

(note to everyone: this is a pretty obscure reference, so this might be helpful if you want to know what I'm talking about)

Jennifer's a thern. Her skin is very pale, almost white, and her hair is a yellow-y blond. She's wearing a short off-white dress- the same color as her skin- and no shoes, but a silver necklace and anklet. Crash is Tars Tarkas- green skin, longer black hair, green shorts and shirt the same color as his skin... Jennifer said we weren't going naked, like the actual characters, but the clothes we're wearing aren't supposed to stand out that much. Crash's costume is pretty good- he's even got the two extra arm/leg things... and the big fangs, somehow...

Archimedes is Woola- he's only going with his usual four legs, but I really think he has more fangs than normal, and his mouth opens wider somehow... maybe Edgar modified him to help. Oh, and his fur, instead of being long and pink, is green and looks kind of like scales, but that's something Jennifer did for a costume.

And I'm Dejah Thoris, with the black hair- I had to dye my fur, but at least Jennifer let me keep the ears and tail for this- and red skin, and with a short red dress. I've also got some gold jewelry on.

We go back into the party and I snag a cookie. I really do like the decorations. And I'll admit, it was clever the way Jennifer figured out how to do the full-body dye and she and Crash and Archimedes look great- even if having Archimedes at the party makes me a little nervous... but I didn't really want to go as Dejah Thoris...

Oh, well. I'm sure the party will be lots of fun...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:41 am 

People are getting ready, all over the city. In one house on a hill in particular, the woman smiles in amusement.
"Why'd I let you talk me into this again?" Her other half grumps.
"Oh, it'll be fun, and you know it." She carefully adds glittery earrings that complement her necklace, then touches up her lipstick.
"Fun? With those two running things?" He continues to grouse, but it's for show. Mostly.
"Oh, hush. How do I look?"
She stands, her red satin gown clinging and flowing in a dangerous manner. High heels add to her height. The old fashioned,( but a fashion that always appeals) evening gown is slit up the side.
Mock grumbling a little herself, "All I need is a borzoi on a leash."
"awha?"
"Kind of like a greyhound. They were a fashionable accessory. Say, are my seams straight?"
She carefully tweaks one.
".....fine, they're... fine..." His voice is dry. Damn.
She smirks a little, then gives him a slow look.
"Oh, I like your outfit. It's perfect. Say, how's my height? Which way should I adjust it?"
Jess carefully puts on long, elegant gloves.
This party is gonna rock.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 pm 

Andrew took a deep breath. Okay, this was it... he had to be in control. He could do this. His family wouldn't even be there... he hoped. But it diddn't matter! It would help him be at peace with himself more. And... it was time to stop being ashamed of who they had once been. He had done the best he could have... would anyone else have done better in his place? Another deep breath... he checked himself in the mirror one last time, adjusting the glasses he;d had specially made.

It was really almost eerie. All he had done was get some contacts and change his hair.... that and the right costume made a mere uncanny resemblance into an exact duplicate. Well, he was as good as he could get... a pity History never went into much detail about his clothing. He;d had to go on refference from an old portrait. He did like the snappy coat... it had *very* excellent buttons. A third deep breath, and he strode up to the doors, throwing them open.

"Do forgive the intrusion." he said smoothly, pausing for just the right amount of time before striding inside, managing, as was only proper, an impeccable entrance.

-The NegaVerse-

"Jeffe... since ah met you, you've been the light of my life. I know I;m a flawed man... but I promised to take care of you the best I can, for the rest of my days if God could be so kind. I love you." Xxxy said honestly, stepping closer and bowing hsi head.

"Will you... ever forgive me for how long it took me to say it?" he said, chancing a look up. he deflated a little, and leaned forward- letting his head rest against the mirror he;d been talking to.
"Damn... why can't I say it to her?!" he demanded of his empty room, straightening up and pulling on the tight brown shit he'd gotten for his costume. He;d picked a character he found fairly appropriate... he;d even re-purposed a gun into an accurate Vera!

"Tonight. I'll do it tonight." he swore, heading for the door. Now. he just had to find Jeffe and get her to the party- hs Alternate had invited him, and he hoped he;d be able to find the right moment... come hell or high water, he was going to tell Jeffe how much he cared! If it *killed* him...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:07 pm 

Sparky refused to be left out. Let Mecha stay home and hand out candy! As well as traumatise potential tp'ers...
Her fur is dyed pink. She's wearing a pointy hat, with lace. Her collar sparkles with rhinestones.
Sparky is a princess.
Who sniffs-and gallops over to where Claire and company are.
"Ruff ruff ruffruff? grrRuff!"
(you mean there's a character where I could've stayed green? Nice fangs!)
Archimedies barks back at her.
"Bark bark ruff ruffruff? Ruff bark!"
(I could have stayed pink? And your extra legs would have worked for my costume!)
Both-"grrrr." (humans!)

Rolf strolls into the party like he owns the place. His hat for tonight is a snappy fedora, he's wearing a zoot suit, and is casually hefting a tommygun. He's a 20's era gangster. Now, his moll should be here somewhere....she was helping set up.
Aha! Is that...it is!
"Claire! Hyu look vunderful, dollink!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 pm 
Hyperkeeper

Ariel carefully examined her costume in the mirror at Jane's lair. Everything looked perfect. The dress was right on cue, and she'd hidden the holoprojectors needed for the costume into their appropriate hiding slots.
Her facial expressions, as far as she could predict, were calibrated for a maximum response across a wide swath of people, and her voice had gotten special samplings and tones just for tonight.

She was ready.

Checking that she had everything, Ariel walked out the door...

~~~

The SoItBeginss examined each other, all wearing their suits and ties for the party.

"How do we look?" one asked another.
"Identical," the other replied with a raising of the eyebrows. "Certainly nice enough."

"Nice... right," said a third. "Somehow, I don't think they'll think so."

"Whatever," the fourth SoItBegins said. "Are we all ready?"

A chorus of yeses.

"Good. The Engine's locked on Auto. Now, let's go!"

~~~

Michelle readied the device, aiming carefully. Then, she triggered it. A blue-white column of energy burst around the three girls in the huddle, causing everybody else to jump back.

Then, they were gone, falling through the universes to... who knew where?

"Perfect," Kimberly whispered to Michelle, back on the high school dance floor. "Now, it's time to play a few tricks of our own."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:27 am 
New Madsci

Mithril Jack was lost in thought as he tuned his Strat. He recognized this particular plane of existence, having once lived here for several years. It was here that a dear friend, now sadly passed away, had taught him how to play the electric guitar. This is a dimension rich in arcane energies, but oddly enough most of its inhabitants don't believe in magic, instead trying to comprehend the nature of the multiverse with 'science', whatever that is.

As more people began to filter in he shook himself out of his revery, stepped up to the microphone, and said, "Good evening and welcome to the finest Halloween bash this world has ever seen. My name is Mithril Jack, the Electric Bard, and I'll be providing musical entertainment this evening. If you have any song you'd like to hear don't hesitate to ask. In the meantime let's get this party rockin'." With that he broke into a stirring rendition of "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group.

Then I could do some cruisin' too!

-----J. Buffet, troubadour extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:04 am 

"HI, Rolf! You really think it looks nice? I wanted to come as something else..."

"Vhot? Uf coure hy like it! But vhy did hyu come like dot if hyu vanted a different costume?"

"Uh..."

"-and I made you a costume, too! And one for Crash!"

Jennifer didn't say anything, just looking down at me. I started to feel nervous. Finally- "Daffy Duck. You want me to go as Daffy Duck."

"Well, he's really funny and you kind of have the right personality-"

She grabs my ear. "What?! Are you implying that I'm a second-rate, overblown, obnoxious, unpopular moron?!"

"N-no, J-jennifer..." Uh-oh...

"Well, we aren't going as those. I'm going to design costumes for us- and you'll get something *you* don't like."

"B-but..."

"It's that, or I FORCE you to wear it, and then you won't be able to have any fun at all at the party." She scowled. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Y-yes, Jennifer..." I looked at the floor. "S-sorry, Jennifer."

"Now dump those costumes in the corner- you won't need them anyway, you moron. I might as well leave them there..."

Reluctantly, I shoved them into the corner. "B-but I worked so hard on th-them-"

"Did you say something?!"

"N-no, Jennifer..."

"I... I guess I just couldn't think of anything else to come as..." I make a face. "Dejah Thoris is just all... good. It's irritating. I like your costume a lot, though. And aren't the decorations nice? Mistress and Miss Chicgeek are great throwing parties! And they have cookies- oh, and the guy playing music's all shiny! I wonder why?"

Archimedes wags his tail, happy to have a friend. Sparky's nice and he doesn't get to meet other canine creations that often... Barking- "(So where do you live? I'm not from nearby- I'm just here because Jennifer wanted someone to be Woola...)

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:16 pm 

-Michael-

He wasn't quite ready to get into costume yet. There was a certain level of presentation required at social events such as this. But he was certainly going. This was one of the rare moments when he could visit M without fear of any sorts of repercussions... "Not to mention Xerox has grown old and weak... and married." he grinned as he thought to himself. Xerox getting married was the best thing that ever happened to the man, at least from Michael's perspective. It had distracted the ordinarily workaholic commander of M, and the whole organization's eyes had been wavering lately.

It had allowed Michael to make a few moves with a certain level of confidence that no one had been watching them at all. He'd already worked out a way to block the Umbra's eyes on him if he really, REALLY needed to. But M's agents watched the world in different ways, ways that were a bit harder to jam sometimes. But there would be time for that later. Now was not the time for international-level politics. Now was the time for fun.

But that didn't mean he didn't have things to do. "The Package" had to be taken care of, after all. Michael, dressed in casual wear, slunk across the party hall and found his way into the nearest Men's bathroom, where he deposited a nearly-full duffel bag just underneath the sink. He then grinned, flipped open his cell phone, and began text-messaging someone.

-C:

"The Package" has been placed in drop zone, as per our agreement. Recovery falls to you.

Enclosed I have also taken the liberty of including a single-use ray of undisclosed function. Please use on J in order to assist her in her party-going efforts.

-M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarcastic-

"Hey!" She waited as Chic turned to acknowledge her. "Miss Viktor! Great costume! Thanks for inviting me, by the way." Sarcastic walked up to one of the two hosts of the party, a hand in her pocket, the other holding a plastic cup.

She was, oddly enough, not in any sort of a costume to speak of: She was wearing the typical t-shirt and blue jeans that most of her friends and acquaintances had come to associate with her general appearance, her hair, as usual, pulled back into a ponytail. "Yeah... I don't really "do" Halloween. You know, the whole "Clark Kent" thing." Sarcastic scratched her back. "Anyway, the Boss wanted to let you guys know that he's gonna be a bit late. First he got distracted by an invading war horde of robot pandas that was attacking the city with Bamboo Blades, and now Ann is apparently being a bit obstinate about putting on her costume... when I left his place it was taking Ricky, the Boss, AND that Lady Drezebel woman just to keep her under control. But I'm sure they'll be along shortly." It was a lie, but only partially one. Lady Drezebel had a thing about making a theatrical Entrance, and in what was rapidly becoming a tradition she had entangled the Toboz Brothers into a group costume of sorts. Of course, Ann WAS giving them some trouble, but that wasn't the reason they were late...

"But I am in costume for the party, that being said." Sarcastic took a sip of some punch. Not punch that had been laid out for the party; Sarcastic knew better than that. This was punch she'd gotten at the ordinary, mundane Halloween party her college dorm and thrown just an hour ago, before she'd ducked out. She'd been nursing it for the past hour. "You just have to turn around to see the costume part of it..." She waited as Chic turned around, and then began to speak. "And so I leave it with all of you: Which came out of the opened door - the lady, or the tiger?"

When Chic turned around again, she found herself staring at Khan, who was grinning widely. "That's our costume of sorts. Sahara thought it up for us, and we haranged some interns at M to help us set it up... basically, we have a quantum teleporter... whenever it detects that no one is actively observing either of us, it swaps my location and Sarc's location. One of us is at the party, and the other is back at her dorm room, handing out candy for the little grade school trick-or-treaters going across the campus." he grinned. "Granted this is a bit of an obscure literary reference, but we both thought it was be an amusing joke to do."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:09 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

The cave took on a sudden coolness as a shimmering shape passed in front of a torch...

The whole cave went silent, all of them realizing that someone in the room was invisible. Several of them drew weapons and Mithril Jack stopped playing. The footsteps stopped, and a faint clicking sound was heard, almost like metal parts bumping together...

Someone muttered, "Where'd he go?"

A voice with a faint french accent replied, "Right behind you."

Everyone looked around, seeing only the people they knew around them. "That's odd, when did Astrolabe get here?"

The entire group looked over to see Astrolabe drinking punch. A voice rang out over the heads of the group, "That's not Astrolabe!" The figure disappeared with a small *whoosh* noise.

Moments later someone saw Zobot walking accross the room, a plate of chips in his hand. "He's out of costume!" The Zobot promptly disappeared. Soon, another Andrew was present. He grinned and disappeared again. There was a spy at the party... and he could be anyone...

"That Cake is a spy!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm 

Freddy scowled, lighting his welding torch and putting up *another* heat sink. Damn, what had happened?! It used to be so easy to cross the dimensions... he'd figured that setting up his own portal generator on the sly would be easy. But this thing just wasn't making it- he'd have to expend a huge amount of energy to get through. Which meant he'd have to do that which he dreaded... and fess up to his Father. Not, of course, that his father would in any way mind... but Freddy really disliked having to bother him for such trivial matters.

"Er, Fatha? You're not busy, are you?" he asked, peeking into his Father's study. nTinker looked up, pushing his glasses up and smiling. He was working on a litle connecter, and he steadied himself on his cane as he stood.

"Ah, you;re just in time. Come with me- I'll need your help." he said, taking his son;s offered hand as he walked unsteadily downstairs. His leg gave him *such* trouble these days...

"Er, fer what?"

"Why, to repair the Portal generator, of course. Xxxy and Jeffe want to attend the Party at M- and so do you, don't you? Yes, that;s what I thought. And don't worry- your portal was fine. One just needs a proper power source... which is why I've called in Danny." He almost felt bad taking advantage of the Young.... er, Man, but honestly he was so thrilled to be a help.

"Thanks. Me 'an Fredric 'r doing a group costume 'a sorts. Gilliam an' Cleese, too." he admitted, helping his dad down the stairs to the Portal Room. Xxxy was already there, leaning against a wall casually.

"Ah, Xxxy. Good man. Freddy- do you have your costume? Oh, and where is Jeffe?"

"She;ll be her soon, Boss."

"Ah'm changin' there, Fatha."

"Exellent." he said, walking over to Danny, who was happily sitting on the floor in a sort of wiry cage. He was small- a half a head shorter than Xxxy, with glittery blond hair and wide, dizzying eyes. they were kind of Multicolored, and seemed to emit an odd sort of light. As i they simply couldn;t decide what part of the spectrum t reflect at any given time. He wore a long sleeved shirt wich was far too big for him, and patched jeans.

"Ready, Danny?"

"Yuh-huh!"

"Good lad."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:12 pm 

Jeffe tugs on her tie, loosening it just a tad. Why did she let Xxxy talk her into this outfit again?
(http://www.fireflywiki.org/Firefly/SimonTam)
Still...he does look pretty sharp, at that. And she finally gets to visit the posiverse!
Tonight's going to be fun.

Rolf frowns, just a little. "Dollink, as luffly as hyu are, hyu need an outfit hyu are happy with. De group costume-Jennifer's idea, ya?"
"m-maybe..."
Sigh...if Claire just had one mad cousin, she probably would've learned to stick up for herself. But a whole flock of them, all mad...she didn't stand a chance. Especially if they're all like Jennifer. He remembers how mean she was when she barged in to his apartment, demanding Claire fix her teleporter.
"Ah, es okay, Claire. Ve's gonna heff a goot time tonight. Unless...hyu think uf anythink Hy can do? A halloween trick, perheps?"
Oh, yes. Trick or treat, Jennifer.
Eyes glinting evily, Rolf smiles a fangy smile.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 pm 

Xerox adjusted his hat. He never should have let her read that goofy short story he'd made... if he;d known she was on the lookout for a Halloween costume, he wouldn't have read it to her. Ah, who was he kidding... he was *not* good at keeping things from his wife, plain and simple.

He was dressed with a long, pale than trenchcoat, with his hair slicked back neatly under a fedora. He was wearing a rumpled dress shirt and tie, with a neatly pressed pair of pinstriped slacks held up with a pair of suspenders. A flask was at his hip, and his 'cigar' box was tucked away...

"Detective X... hey, at least it has a neat ring. You ready to go?" he asked, giving his wife a sly litttle smile.

"Snappy. Let's~"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm 

Rolf's nice to offer to get back at Jennifer, but... "Nah... don't worry about it. It's fine. And you like this costume, so that's good, right?" Even if I have to be a GOOD character... yuck.

Jennifer wanders around, bored. She realized AFTER arriving that she doesn't actually know that many people at the party. Primary's not here yet, and the only other really person she knows besides him, Crash and Claire is Michael... and she doesn't seem him, either. Sigh. At least the decorations are nice...

Crash is having fun having four arms... he doesn't see Primary, but maybe later. He could use some help, and Primary's his best bet... He just chats with the various M employees while he waits.

Rose arranged her own transportation from the nega-verse. It wasn't that hard... she still isn't sure what all the fuss is about with the lack of a link and stuff. She found a chair and put it in the corner, and sits there, sulking. No one was even here yet... this was irritating. She could be working, but noooo... she had to come and make sure Prim didn't chicken out or fall and crack his head open or something... She didn't bother to come in costume. It's not like she even likes Halloween to begin with...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:02 am 
Hyperkeeper

The door opened, and a girl walked into the room. The first thing that struck the onlookers was... pink.

There was quite a lot of pink. The girl was wearing a pink, frilly dress festooned with pink and purple jewelry, with a large purple bow as a front accent. The dress ended at about the knee, with a skirt with decorative ornamentation and lace along the edge (not to mention another purple bow on the back). Pink ballet slippers and white stockings added to the overall impression. A tiara, with a pink gem in the center, and a (pink, what else?) magic wand finished the costume.

The girl wearing it was young, and seemed to have spent her growth spurts on extra-large eyes rather than character development. An innocent-looking face, blond hair, and the eyes (green) gave the impression of someone wholesome, cute and charming.

The girl struck a pose, sparkles erupting around her. Her voice was high, clear, and sweet enough to cause cavities.

"Have no fear, good people! I, Magic Warrior Pink Glitter Princess Ariel, am here to protect you!"

And with that, she joined the crowd.

There was one more aspect to Ariel's costume that wasn't immediately visible. As part of her research into how to pass as human, Ariel had discovered that by taking a few simple steps-- not blinking, moving her face in slightly different ways-- she could gradually cause a feeling of great unease in people. If done subtly enough, they wouldn't know what was causing it.

Ariel was already wearing a cute grin, or she would have smiled.
This was going to be fun...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm 

-David's Aztec Warship-

"So... what do you think about Little Mac? You've got the body for it." Lady Drezebel held up a picture.

Richard scowled at his wife. "... I have blond hair, I'm far taller than 5' 1", and I don't walk around shirtless."

Lady Drezebel stuck out her tongue. "I should be so lucky!"

David couldn't help but feel a bit like a third wheel in this situation, and he didn't even know what being a "third wheel" meant. Sitting on the couch watching his brother and his newly-married wife try and pick out costumes, he distinctly felt like he should be somewhere else. But both of them were adamant about him staying there, so he'd been unable to escape just yet. Plus, he DID kinda need a costume... he had been completely surprised when Richard told him Halloween was happening again this year. It had been fun, but no one had told him it was a regular thing, like Wednesdays, or clouds. "Um... I thought you all wanted to do a group costume again?" He paused. "We couldn't ALL be this Little Mac guy, could we?"

Lady Drezebel looked at Richard and then started laughing for some reason, Richard just rolled his eyes and smirked a bit.

"Ok, ok..." Lady Drezebel reached back into her stack of photos. "New idea... a Bleach theme... Me as Rukia, David as Ichigo, and you as Byakuya Kuchiki!"

Richard shook his head. "We definately have the outfits for that in your costume collection, but I'm not sure we could pull off Byakuya's hair in such short notice."

Lady Drezebel scowled. "I can't BELIEVE we all forgot about halloween until the night of the party! And everyone's expecting me to make some amazing grand entrance, and I didn't even plan anything out, and..."

Richard put his arms around her. "We've been distracted. It's understandable. The almost-destruction of the universe, and then the wedding... we've had our hands full. Let's just focus. We'll come up with something."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Back at the Party... can you guess who these people are?-

"... Are you sure we're all welcome here? The last time I was present I did not leave on the best of circumstances..." a man dressed like Byakuya Kuchiki looked around the party, a tone of tension in his voice.

A Gin Ichimaru smirked. "Well, TWO of us were invited, and the invitations both said "Plus one guest" so I reckon our hosts got 'no cause fer complainin'." He patted the Kuchiki Byakuya lookalike on the rear, which provoked a scowl.

"Don't touch me, you. I still do not trust you." Kuchiki Byakuya put his hand on his blade.

"Aw, but our ol' groups disbanded! I got no reason t'be tricky." Gin looked distinctly like he was pouting...

"Yeah, besides, Glowbug, he's the one who suggested we come here anyway... and this place seemed fun." A Tōshirō Hitsugaya lookalike wandered in along with the group. His biggest problem with the outfit was the contacts. They itched and he kept rubbing his eyes... the way he was wearing his hair hid his antenna, though.

"Hmm." A Soi Fon walked past the three of them, looking around the room, scanning for someone. She didn't see them. "<I guess that kami decided not to appear. Pity.>"

"Hey... isn't that Soi Fon girl a bit overly showy for you?" Toshiro looked up at her. "I mean, not that it's very revealing, 'cuase it isn't-"

"I wanted her to be Rangiku Matsumoto!" Gin smirked as the Soi Fon character smacked him.

"-but you've never dressed like a girl. Like, ever." Toshiro looked up.

"The name of our group and the attitude of our leader determined my appearance, remember." Soi Fon looked down at Toshiro. "As you may recall, everyone decided it would be more convenient for myself to dress and act as a male rather than convince our leader that we could still be Gentlemanly with a member of the opposite gender in our ranks. Now that our organization is dissolved, there is no such obligation."

"Well... if you're comfortable with it- Ooo! Bean dip..." Toshiro wandered off towards the food table.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm 

"Remind me- how did they convince me to let them use M for this?" asked Xerox, holding open the doors to M for Jess- his mood getting noticeably better as she swept past him inside. It was hard t maintain a sour mood when his wife was dressed in one of those cute little 20's dresses... ah, life was good.

"Easy- they asked me, and I asked you. And *you* are a sucker." she said sweetly, taking his arm as they headed to the party. It wasn't hard- they could already hear the general party noise. Laughter, some music, the scream of someone encountering a trick... or... you know... Jane.

"Can't argue with that." he said contentedly, shifting his hat and kicking the doors open.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm 

~Crash~

Crash saw Primary enter- oh, nice costume- and walked over to greet him. "Hey, Commander Primary..." A quick check- Jennifer wasn't listening. "Can you help me with something? I wanna be fast, so I don't get caught... Jennifer and Claire had a bit of a... disagreement over costume choice, and I think Claire was right, but you know how Jennifer is when it comes to disagreements with Claire. The other costumes are *here,* and all someone needs to do is fire a certain ray at Jennifer... but if I do it she'll be out for my blood. She wouldn't go after you, and it'd make Claire really happy... she doesn't like her current costume much. So, uh, if I get the ray, would you be willing to hit Jennifer with it? It shouldn't hurt her or anything."

~Claire~

What's Jennifer doing over here? She's had her fun putting me in this costume, why can't she leave me alone?

"Hey, Claire. You know, I'm not sure I ever caught your friend here's name..." When I don't respond, she nudges me with her elbow. "So tell me."

"Uh... Jennifer, this is Rolf..."

When I pause, she frowns. "Rolf what?"

"What?"

"His full name, you idiot!"

"Full name?" Now I'm just confused... I thought his name was Rolf... I look up at him. "Um... is Rolf short for something you didn't mention?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:03 pm 

Rolf's voice is calm. "Hy vas introduced to Claire as Rolf, und es all Hy go by now. Jaeger tradition, hyu know. But yes, the name Hy vas born with, vhen Hy was human vas longer. Hy don' use it, but it's no secret. Hy vas Rolf Erich Kasper Steve Von Eisenberg."
He shrugs.
"Hyu never introduced hyurself es more than Jennifer hyuself, hyu know."
Claire looks at Rolf. "That's a long name..."
"Eh, femely tradition. My papa vas Erich, Kasper is from my mama's side uf de femely."
"And...Steve?"
"Friend uf my papa's. Mein godfather."

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:16 pm 

Just behind Rolf, a Cold, thin hand clasped hsi shoulder, the room suddenly seeming... darker for a moment. He felt the unmistakable sensation of a presence looming over him, and from the corner of his eye, he could see a dark robed figure, pale eyes glowing from within like little suns...

"Why, so he is." intoned a deep, steady voice, before the hood was suddenly pulled back.
The Steve grinned down at Rolf, beaming at his long lost godson.

"Little Rolf! Why, I haven;t seen you since you were just a littl thing. It;s me- Steve." he said happily, giving him a firm hug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane looked around. The party was beginning to warm up. A good chunk of the Mads and Villains in the city had been invited, and the cave was filling with men, women-- and creatures-- of all description. Those who were new wore one of the nametags Chic and Jane had thoughtfully provided. Those who were familiar didn't need one. Even Kid Atomic (dressed up as Mercury, the messenger of the gods) had come.
The buffet table was doing a brisk business, with people sampling the tasty treats (and laughing, perhaps a little nervously, at those unlucky ones whose skin turned orange, or who shrank to 3 feet high for a few minutes.) The punchbowl, once a volunteer had tried it without suffering any ill effects, was also draining rapidly-- and, gradually refilling, as if by magic.
People conversed. Couples flirted. And everyone was trying to outdo each other playing little sneaky tricks.
Jane grinned. It looked as if it was time to stir up a little Halloween mischief.

With cheerful demeanor, Jane the witch flitted around the room, having a fun time. She reveled in the party atmosphere, sometimes swooping over to greet new arrivals with handshakes, hugs, and 'spells'; now engaging someone in light conversation, while her hair snuck tiny devices into her victims' pockets (or out of them); occasionally inviting a good-looking man to sit with her on a stone bench, then shaking with mirth as he fell victim to a hidden water spray.
Out of the corner of her eye, Jane noticed the reporter had finally worked up the courage to interview someone. He (whoever he was) appeared to be hamming for the camera. She smiled, and turned her attention back to the task at hand.

Spotting Chic wandering away from a laughing group of Mads, Jane walked over. "How do you think it's going so far?" she asked. "Hey-- your nemesis, Kid Atomic is even here!"
While waiting for Chic's response, Jane triggered something. A skeleton jumped out from behind a rock outcropping, startling someone dressed as a cheerleader.
Life was fun. The party was more so.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:02 pm 

Rolf is flabergasted. His face bears a comicaly shocked expression, while The Steve envelops him in a hug.
"Nein!...Steve Blank? It' s, das so lang gewesen wird. So viele Jahre. Was tun Sie hier?" He's momentarily forgotten to speak english.
His childhood was so very long ago...but it's him. How, he doesn't know, but it's him.
His godfather.
Time traveler, or has he just been around this long?
Shaking his head a little, he grins. They'll talk tonight. For now-
"Steve, may Hy introduce Miss Clare Umbra?" He loops an arm around her waist.
"Ahem!" Jennifer clears her throat, aggressively.
"Oh, und her annoyink cousin, Zhennifer. Say, Zhennifer, you never introduced hyuself more dan by hyu first name. Und hyu insisted on knowink mine..." Rolf's voice is pure innocence.
Heh. Maybe she'll go pester someone else now...

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:32 pm 

Funny how Rolf doesn't seem to like Jennifer... oh, well. I don't mind that much.

Jennifer grins suddenly. Why do I get the feeling this doesn't bode well? "I'm Jennifer Umbra. Claire's cousin. On her mother's side, so we have the same last name. Hi, Steve. Crash has told me about you- I'm glad you get along with him. It's nice that he has a job he likes." She pats me on the head. "I'm gonna go talk to Chicgeek. I'll try not to give her TOO many reasons to hate you, ok?"

Aww... why can't she just blackmail me or something like most people would? Now I'm just going to be nervous... oh well... "Hi, Mister Steve." Huh, I didn't notice it, but he's kind of shiny... and... "Do you come from the place with the big energy-being things with the tentacles and the dimensional travel and the insane madness beyond human comprehension and stuff? You kind of look like it."

Crash hands the ray to Primary- good thing Jennifer's distracted. Now, when Primary fires, he just has to be fast and he might get away with this whole thing without getting into TOO much trouble...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:04 am 

-4 of 10 Gentlemen-

Radiant scanned the crowd. "Hmm... she's probably here." He hadn't forgotten about the woman who had beaten him before. The shapeshifter.

He held no malice against her, but ever since he'd lost to her he'd begun to doubt himself... He wanted to fight her again. To see if she was really a challenge or not. He wanted to fight her because she'd become a wall, a mountain he had to surmount.

Of course, she could be anyone here, so looking for her was proving problematic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Lady D, Richard, and David-

Lady Drezebel giggled. "Yay! We have our costume plan!" She grabbed David, and kissed Richard. "Now quick! To the Drez-cave!"

David raised an eyebrow. "You mean your hotel room with your costume bins?"

"Yes! The Drez Cave!" She looked up at Richard. "You know, Honey... with the amount of time we spend in Xyon these days we should really consider moving here... could you look for a surgeons position up here?"

Richard rolled his eyes and smirked. "I'll think about it."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 am 

The spy appeared at the concessions table, having multiple weapons trained on him...
He turned around, wearing a nametag that read, “FYI, I am a spy” He waved at the people around him and walked around, ignoring their gaze. He walked up to Chic and grinned, weapons still following him. “Hey Chic.” He pulled off his mask, revealing his identity. Herr tossed the mask into a trash can and turned to Chic, “Sorry about my entrance there, I just wanted to make a bit of a splash.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:36 am 

Chic, the Gypsy Queen, smiles sweetly at Herr. "Oh, no-that was perfect. Especially because-"
Chic holds her fingertips delicately to her temples. "I'm picking up a vision...it involves you, Herr..."
"Um..really?" Herr is curious.
"Yes...it's coming clearer..."
A hidden trap is triggered, and Herr is dunked into a small, hidden pool.
"Herr! You're psychic! You did make a splash!"
Chic giggles, as Herr climbs out. She's in a very good mood tonight, and indulges in a moment of mercy. She zaps him with a low level heat ray, drying out his costume.
"Glad you could make it, Herr!"

C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:59 am 

-Michael-

He sighed. The party was already starting to die down a bit by his analysis. "I guess I underestimated M's ability to be a buzzkill environment." He sighed and frowned. "I really didn't want to put on my costume yet, but... I suppose that I'll have to do SOMETHING to keep this party from dying." He folded his arms and made for the air vents. He'd never QUITE understood why M had air vents large enough for someone to crawl through, but they certainly made this bit easier... he just needed to get access to the power cables that supplied this room with power from whatever source M used. That, and have a nice private place to change.

In a few moments, suddenly every light in the party-room went dark. Mithril Jack felt something presumably pointy and dangerous pressing against his back, and heard a voice whisper something in his ear as another device was pressed into his hands. "Once I finish speaking, count to 15 in your head and then press the big button on the center of this device."

Suddenly, Jennifer felt a leather gloved hand around her mouth, and another around her waist. Someone was dragging her off...

In fifteen seconds, Mithril Jack pressed the button, and a spotlight flickered on to illuminate two figures on the stage. If there WASN'T a stage before, there was now, proving once and for all that Michael liked to show off.

One of the figures was Jennifer. She was hanging by her bound arms from a rope just above the ground, so that her body didn't touch anything. She was probably looking furious, although there was tape over her mouth. The other figure on the stage was a bit different. His golden hair was spiked, puffing out in various places in a ridiculous manner. There was a gleaming, glowing golden symbol of an eye imprinted on his forehead, as well as golden bracers along his arms, as well a golden neckband around his neck. A gleaming golden rod was also in his hands, completing the overuse of gold in the costume itself. His outfit consisted of a black, sleeveless shirt and tan pants with a black belt through them, as well as a purple cloak around his shoulders held to him with a golden chain. All in all, he looked a bit weird!

On stage, all eyes on him, Michael smirked. And then, music began to play, and he started to sing. (Note: For added effect, open in new tab as you read the lyrics of the song, or just listen to the song)

"Would you beg if I asked you to beg?
Would you flee from my awesome might?
Would you cry if I broke your kneecaps?
May I devour your soul tonight?
" He raised his Millennium Rod up, and poked Jennifer's chin with one of the pointy tips.

"Would you tremble if I cut your face?
Would you scream if I sprayed you with mace?
Now would you die for the one you hate?
It's a rhetorical question. Now die.
" He turned, waving the rod out onto the crowd. Purely for affect, a similar golden symbol appeared on the foreheads of several members of the crowd, doing nothing else other than showing off.

"I can be your villain baby
I'll accentuate your pain
I will torture you forever
I will take your breath away
" Yami Michael pressed a hidden button on the hilt of his Millennium Rod, causing it to glow with a wicked, unnerving light, bathing him in a disturbing radiance.

"Would you swear that I will not succeed?
Would you fight, would you save the day?
Am I insane?
Have I crossed the line?
Well that's a good question, let me ask your friends, OH WAIT I MURDERED THEM!
" Yami Michael paused for a moment to unleash a good evil laugh upon the crowd.

I'll accentuate your pain
" The sides of the device Mithril Jack held suddenly popped open, firing several foil-covered children's trading cards out into the ranks of the crowd, which spun through the air, twirling and spinning as colored lights lit up around the room, catching the foil coverings of the cards and causing them to flicker in the light. It was clear at this point that Michael had temporarily seized control of the lights in the room.

"Oooh
I just want to control your brain
I just want to invade your mind
Oh yeah
" At this point Yami Michael pressed another hidden button on his Millennium Rod, causing Jennifer's rope to pull her upward, a bit higher towards the ceiling.

"Am I insane?
Have I crossed the line?
Didn't you just ask me that?
Your friends are still dead, by the way.
" Yami Michael waved the Millennium Rod again, and the environment around the stage began to erupt into a swirling purple mist, indicative of the Shadow Realm.

I'll accentuate your pain (That's correct!)
" Several blobs of shadows began to latch onto Jennifer, appearing almost as if they were eating her... Jennifer, of course, felt nothing, since the entire display was holographic. However, it certainly looked cool.

"I can be your villain
And I'll accentuate your pain
And I will torture you forever
" Yami Michael waved his Millennium Rod again, pressing another button, as the holographic shadow realm stretched out and engulfed the entire room, causing at least one gasp of shock from the crowd.

"I shall take your breath away
I can be your nemesis
" With the final press of a button on his Millennium Rod, Yami Michael made the entire display vanish, and the ropes holding Jennifer off the ground slowly began to lower her back to the floor of the stage, as Michael, chuckling, walked off the stage and into the crowds. "Well, if I ever decide not to be a villain, I suppose I COULD make a passable entertainer." he muttered to himself, only half-serious.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:32 am 

Jennifer frees her hands and walks off the stage, not hurrying but moving quickly. He- how- grrr... Well, mind control, hmm? She can do something simple... so easily...

It's just a little trap... and a camera... no one will notice they're missing... And a simple scan for target- does he not realize how different he appears? Easy enough to pick out, even non-visually...

Now, which option... phobias are a bit mean, as are psychotic breakdowns... but he is paranoid. Hmm... Maybe just start with something simple and go from there...

In Michael's head, one of the voices is a bit louder... and a bit less timid... "<Congratulations. You've figured out how to use holograms. Do you REALLY think that would impress anyone? I mean, even my idiot cousin knows how to do that...>" Imaginary inner Jennifer smirks. "<Cookie? I don't actually mind making them...>"

That was interesting... Jennifer got all angry and red-faced. Hee hee! I didn't know she knew Michael... he's the one who's Fredric's friend, right? And with that performance... and that song... hmm...

Rose glares at the stage, irritated. "Jen-Jen's counterpart is such a @#&$ idiot... And so's that $%&@ Michael boy's counterpart..."

A tiny portal climbs out of her purse and onto her shoulder, giving a high-pitched "Hrah hrah hrah."

"Hey, Charon. It's not time to go yet... although I might have a job for you later... Want a cookie?"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:12 pm 

Xerox smirked at Chic's antics- that reminded him, he really needed to try and hire Herr. He'd be a fine addition to M... but for now, he'd leave his work behind. It was a party, right? He had to unbend a little... even if only into a slight slouch. He gave Chic a teasing look, dipping a litmus test in his punch.

"You wouldn't be fortune telling without a license, would you?" he asked sternly, noting the little scrap of paper was turning a sort of... puce polka dot pattern? Ah, Jane Narbon and her little pranks... hmm, maybe *she* needed a job. He'd ask Chic if she made decent coffee...

"I need no license to pierce the ethereal veil. Let me read your future! I see... I see... an object, moving at great speed!" she declared theatrically, making Xerox roll his eyes.
(Cue music!
"Cute, Chic. Somehow I doubt tha-" he was cut off as, with a whoop and a clatter, Xxxy tackled him. Xerox swore and threw him off, managing to land in a crouch, reaching up to hold his hat in place. So, he wanted to play like this huh? Fine. He drew his side arm, bringing it up at almost the exact same time as Xxxy leveled his behemoth of a rifle at him.

"So, still compensating with your guns?" he sniped, raising an eyebrow at his opponent. Brown shirt, plan pants, scruffy stub- Ah. Jayne. And... he scanned the crowd, Simon. How appropriate. Come to think of it, wasn't Firefly a ten season epic in the Negaverse? Heck, he'd heard the fourth movie was coming out soon...

"We're physically identical- ah'd watch whut you say." Xxxy shot back, gleefully titling his head in a manic manner. He did so adore fighting his double- it was always such a *jolly* fight.

"I wasn't actually speaking of any *physical* attributes, browncoat. More of what I'd call an... emotional compensation." he smiled slyly, watching as Xxxy's yellow eyes narrowed in fury.

Meanwhile...

"About time ya got 'ere."

"Ah can;t beleive ya talked me inta' this..."

"Oi, whaddya mean?! I'm playin' th' dingbat."

"Sure, but Ah'm the one without a shirt. An' heck if ah know how ah'm gonna do anythin' whi' these boxin' gloves on." Freddy groused, tugging the laces into place with his teeth.

"Quit 'ya whinin- oi fixed em' up- see? Minor attractin' feild. Easy." Fredric replied, pulling on his shirt- for the sake of he costume, he;d tucked away his wings... but it alwas made him so uneasy. Maybe off-balance was the word? He tugged the red shirt with a big white star into place, and put on his hat... that, and white long pants and blue sneakers, and he was ready!

Freddy curiously tested teh gloves- huh, it worked. Clever... hmm, he really needed to try and steal more of Fredric's research. Him and his Micheal seemed to work together more... lucky bastard. Wait... come to think of it, wouldn't Fredric...? Or, since it was reversed, maybe it was Micheal's feelings on the matter instead. And hsi alternate was such a clueless sort...
At least *one* of them ought to be happy, he considered.

"Oi, whaddya spacin' out fer?" demanded Fredric, rolling his eyes and helping Freddy on with his mask.

"Yah got th' wrong accent." chided Freddy, checking in the mirror- black pants, red boots... and, just in case he was de-masked, blue hair. You gotta have blue hair.

"Oh, roit... I mean, Oh, wighd. We beddaw ged to daw pawdy, Stwongbad."

"Shut your face, homedork."

Also...
"Hmm! Seems like a fight is already breaking out..."

"You can hear it from here? I don't know how anyone makes it around in here. It's like the labyrinth of Knossos." Farnsworth grumbled, wishing he'd thought to bring some chalk to mark he walls with- M was staggeringly huge.

"The Labyrinth was circular- only one way through. But I believe, in fact, your comparison is till apt.. M is confusing at first, but there is a pattern. Luckily, I have lent a series of tomes here before, so I know my way around." Nemo assured him, smiling up at his companion. They had become fond friends, since the chaotic time of their meeting, and they had agreed upon a two man costume...

"Really? But M is in it;s own dimension- a dead earth, if I recall. You can sense your own books even beyond the borders of such things?" he inquired, fascinated as always by his unique composition.

"Indeed. I can sense a tome brought to the Negaverse as well. I couldn't tell you why, really. Perhaps we could investigate the phenomena some time? I am sure the Commander would grant us the resources- he is always welcoming of new information."

"Yes, well I think I shall ask him once I am a little more... dignified."

"Really? I think pigtails suit you~"

"Ha, ha, Frenchman. You;re lucky I'm a fan of Asterix and Obelix..." they were dressed as the famous Gaul warriors, Farnsworth, being taller had been convinced to be Obelix. He wasn't entirely sure how, but somehow to have told Nemo would have been like kicking a puppy. He was so terribly earnest a being. They finally made it to the party, just after Fredric and Freddy walked in in *their* costumes.

The party, it seemed, was heating up...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next