Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Wars: A Halloween Party II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:09 am 
Heh heh heh.

While "That'll Be The Day" went over the speakers, JN was busy, talking to a few of the party guests. One in particular.
Eventually, as the song came to an end, Jane came up to the musicians and whispered something to them. After a pause, they began to play once more.

This time, it was a slow song: no words, just a smooth, slow dance number. On Jane's cue, a spotlight lit an empty section of dance floor. JN walked there, slowly, taking her time.
And, as if on cue, SoItBegins was there, waiting.

No words needed to be said. The two looked at each other for a long moment.... then each grasped the other's hands and torsos, locked together in dance.

~

SiB and Jane slowly twirled around the dance floor. Both were thinking. SiB about his own concerns... and Jane about SiB. Can I really find it in me to put all the other stuff... behind me? thought Jane. I have a lot to thank him for... but a lot of other things happened as well. Can I forgive him? Should I forgive him?

The pair were gradually slowing down now. Jane still thought on. Perhaps I could... he never really meant to do some of what he did. Perhaps....
Slowly, slowly, SoItBegins and Jane came to a stop.

~

Perhaps I could.
As the music played on, Jane looked at SoItBegins, liquid purple staring deep into silver mist.
She pulled him towards her. He closed in.

Then, they kissed.

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:25 am 
Heh heh heh.

Afterwards, Jane looked at SoItBegins, admiringly. "You know, I never thought I'd say this, but..."

His voice was tender. "Yes, Jane?"

"...you really are a sucker."

WIthin seconds, it began. Shapeless figure though SiB was, a transformation was taking place on him (and his outfit.) Short hair was replaced with a ponytail. A slim figure altered into a curvy one. And the black, corporate suit SiB was wearing was replaced with a frilly, pink floor-length dress (with extra ruffles).

As SiB freaked out, Jane walked away, loading her gait with as much glamor as she could summon as she laughed evilly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Chic gets everyone's attention by the simple expident of leaping upon the table. And calling out loudly-"Time for prizes!"
When all eyes are upon her, she hops down, and Jane comes to stand beside her.
"Thank all of you for coming to our party. We've had some halloween tricks"-here, she and Jane exchange grins-"but now it's time for some treats! We've added up the votes, and this is the result."
"Best Group Costume goes to Asterix and Obelix. Farnsworth and Nemo, come up here!"
The two librarians saunter forward. Chic grins, and reverently hands Farnsworth an ancient bottle. "Heterodyne red. '83, the electro-finagled method."
Connissieurs in the crowd whistle appreciatively. That's quite a vintage!
"Sharing it is between the two of you. Great job, guys!" Chic smiles. She's a little dissapointed-how could the Gods of Science group not win? Einstein, Curie, Tesla for the love of madness! Ah, well.
"Next, we have Scariest Costume. And the winner-Magical Girl! Ariel, come on up here!"
The AI saunters forward, and giggles cutely. Several in the crowd are seen to shudder.
"Your prize was made by me." Chic hands Ariel a small device. "It's a fear inducer. Any person you turn this on will feel a cold chill down their spine, their hair will raise, nerves will tingle-it'll cost them an effort of will to disregard it. Have fun!"
Chic gives her a conspirator's grin, and Ariel takes her place beside Farnsworth and Nemo.
"Next, we have Most Original Costume. This one presents a challenge. It was meant to go to one person, but the votes were overwhelmingly for a duo. So, we've bowed to the wishes of the crowd. Custody of the prize will have to be worked out among the winners. Who are-The Lady and the Tiger! Khan and Sarcastic, get up here!"
At the moment it's Sarcastic all eyes are upon, so she takes her place with the others.
"Your prize was made by Jane herself. This handy little container is bigger inside that outside, scan proof-wonderful for concealing things!-and so much more! Jane will give you the details. It's a cunning piece of work. Now, again, it's up to you and Khan to work out custody..."
Chic grins, and chuckles are heard from the crowd.
"Last, but certainly not least-Best Costume. By overwhelming vote, the prize is awarded to...." Chic pauses dramatically. "The Lady in Red! Jess, get up here!"
The Chimera saunters forward, the picture of elegance-except for the wicked smile.
Xerox is grinning widely. Jess mutters softly to him, "damn, has it been that long since I've worn a dress?"
"Yep. Now get up there and get your prize!" Xerox keeps his grin in place, as she digs an unladylike elbow into his ribs.
"Your prize was made by Jane and I working together. Hold out your arm."
Jess complies, and a small, elegant wristwatch, suitible for male or female, is fastened around her wrist.
Chic murmurs, "there's a small hidden compartment-Jane's filled it with a dose of something special. Enjoy!"
"Let's here it for our winners, folks!" The crowd applauds with a will, until Chic and Jane wave a hand to stop them.
Jane lifts her voice, and the crowd hushes. "Before we all leave for our separate abodes, lairs, and hideouts-I have one last request to make of you. Will everyone please gather by the buffet table?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Heh heh heh.

While most of the guests were assembling at the table, three women, three girls, and two unicorns (not to mention one Xerox) stood off to the side. They were savoring the moment.
Even if it was a little awkward.

"So," Jane said to Red and Blue, "You can get them back?"

"Of course, Jaaaa-aaaaaane! We've had loads of practice!" said Blue.

"And we've never been to high school— we might as well try it!" chipped in Red.

"Does everybody have everything they arrived with?"

All three teenagers answered 'yes'. They knew the rules regarding time travel, especially the ones that came under the heading of "Making it Easy for the Poor, Overworked Universe."

"All right," said Jane, nodding. "We're almost ready. Just give us a second."
Looking at her future daughter, Jane enfolded Helen Gamma Narbon in a big hug. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Chic and Jess doing the same to their children. JN blinked, realizing her eyes had begun to tear slightly.
After what seemed like a long time, Jane and Helen came out of the hug, holding hands in... something? Love? Friendship? Time travel really did mess a lot of things up.

"Good luck. Only get into trouble you can manipulate your way out of. And, don't forget those tips I gave you-- especially the ones about misdirection. They'll help whenever you're trying to pull something on someone."

"Good luck to you too... Mom."

Mother and daughter looked at each other for a moment. Then, as if on impulse, Jane triggered the snake around her neck right as Helen activated the 'sting' hidden in her gloves. Neither jumped, or flinched. Instead, both Narbons' smiles broadened.

"Well... now I know you're my daughter."

With that and one final kiss on the cheek, Helen climbed on Blue, girl and unicorn saying, "Ready!"

Chic faces Tesla-Girl. It's... awkward. Chic's avoided her as much as possible tonight.
"So, um... Mom...it was a neat party." Marie smiles, hesitantly.
Chic sighes. Then breaks down and gives her a quick hug. "All right, just you remember- I don't want to know the future, okay? I won't say keep out of trouble, not when you're friends with those two- especially if they're anything like their moms."
Chic winks, briefly. "But you seem like a kid I'd be proud of. Take care, okay?"
"Thanks, Mom."
"I'm still going to remember to ground you, you know."
Marie sighs. Great.

Jess ruffles Sammy's hair. "All right, kid- you take care. Have fun, and-" She leans forward to whisper. "-careful about the time travel- save it for when you have to. You know we'll bail you out if need be, but this kind of stuff freaks your dad out. So, try not to need it, okay?"
"You got it, Mom!" The two exchange smirks.
Xerox sighs. Now he's sure that's their kid.
He harumphs a little, taking refuge in grouchiness.
"Listen, kid, I-"
And Sammy wisely chooses that moment to hug him.
"Love you, Daddy."
"I..." Xerox harumphs again, caught off guard.
Marie grabs Sammy's hand, with a "Come on, Sam!" and the two dash over to where Red is waiting.
Jess slips an arm around Xerox. He's blinking?
"Something in my eye," he grouches. "Those damn flying cookies have been shedding sprinkles all night."
"Well, the future won't be boring..." Jess muses, then calls out to the trio. "So long! Have fun being grounded!" And waves, merrily.

Grinning, the two climbed on Red, nodding to show the unicorn they were ready to go.

Chic, Jane, and Jess waved as Red and Blue faced the room's opposite corner. Then, the unicorns charged, picking up speed with every step. Helen, Samantha, and Marie hung on tight, yelling their goodbyes as the surroundings began to blur.
Red and Blue had almost reached top speed. The corner wall was almost upon them.
Right before (seemingly) they were about to crash, Helen yelled, "I'll be sure to tell future-you that—"

And then, they were gone, leaving only a few fiery hoofprints behind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:17 pm 

Xerox glanced around- well, it looked like Andrew and David were still happily slow-dancing, his Alt was still quite happily cuddled with his beau, and the party was winding down nicely. All in all, one of their better parties.

Only... why did he feel as though he was forgetting something?

-A Town Called Silent Hill...-

Sayasuke had had to cobble together a *very* quick explanation- for now he was going with 'I knew your father', which seemed to suffice as a general explanation for why he knew so much. Followed by a few dozen assurances he was *not* a part of the cult at all, no really. Luckily she seemed to be willing to put up with hsi shaky story so long as she had his help.

That, and the first time they had run into some kind of lock that required a specific key, he just picked the damn lock and had done with it.

"Where did you learn to do that?"

"'Oh... a long time ago, Miss Heather..." well, he could worry about getting home later. For now, he had to admit he was having fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:56 pm 

-David-

Andrew had kept him dancing for a while. It was fun and warm and... nice. He couldn't stop smiling, and a warm flush had crossed his face.

This was why it was worth it.

He'd done a lot during his journey across thousands of alternate universes. He had seen the best and worst that his friends and foes were capable of. He had been to universes where he had played a pivotal role, and ones where his alternate had been utterly insignificant. And there were points when he started to feel, well, a bit tired of it all. He liked being a hero, he really did. He didn't do it for the fame, or any sort of money (not that it paid well at all), or for the fighting (although he did enjoy that bit, mostly) but because he enjoyed helping people. But it got tiring sometimes, especially since he never seemed to get a break.

And then, there were nights like this, which made it all worth it.

Jane was calling them over to the buffet table. David shrugged and led Andrew over there, to see what was going on.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:57 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane smiled as she saw everyone lining up. Behind her, Chic was setting up a tripod, with a digital camera atop it.

"OK," she said loudly, to the assembled guests. "It's time to take a group photo!" More softly, "Chic, have you got the camera going?"
Chic nodded. After a second, Jane moved to stand by the assembly of people. Chic triggered something, and the camera began to beep.

"All right," Jane said as Chic scurried into line, "Everyone say, 'Cheese'!"

"Cheeese!"

*click*

Chic hurried over to look at the resulting picture, then said, "Hey, Jane... I think something must have been set wrong. I'll try again."

Chic squinted through the viewfinder. "All right," she said, "Everyone say, 'Happy Halloween!'"

"Happy Halloween!"

*click*

Chic looked down at the picture the camera displayed. She didn't look too happy. "Jane, can you come look at this?" she asked. Jane stepped out of line and clustered around the camera. She and Chic went through a few menus, poking at settings while the others waited.

Off to the side, Maria Narbon and nChic quietly opened a portal to the Negaverse and slipped away.

Finally, Chic and Jane straightened up. "OK, we've got it this time," said Jane. "Everybody say 'Trick or Treat!' Now, on three.
One... Two..."

"Trick--"

To say "Everything happened at once" would be an understatement.

As Chic pushed the button on the camera, everything in the room-- everything-- began to squirt water. Tables, chairs, decorations, the punch bowls, and the floor all sprayed at highest pressure, drenching everyone who had lined up for the photo (indeed, everyone in the entire room.) With movements they had rehearsed a dozen times, Chic and Jane jumped on Jane's broom, which had risen to hover next to the two. Chic grabbed the camera, right before the two zoomed off, dual maniacal cackles left in their wake.
The guests, meanwhile, yelled, running for the door, only to find that all of the small pools Chic had sneakily placed around the party were active, hidden under segments of holographic floor that had turned hollow. Consternation was a byword. To add insult to injury, those who had nametags had only to step outside the room's door for them to explode, covering their wearers in sticky pink and silver glitter.
It was chaos.

A long way away, Jane and Chic sat back, trying desperately not to crack up as they watched the proceedings on a large screen. They weren't succeeding. People ran this way and that, yelling their heads off. A few tried to head for occasional dry spots, only to be hit by extra-strong jets of water. Others had decided to take advantage of the chaos, and were pulling tricks on the people trying to find their way out.
All in all, it was an experience no one would ever forget.

As Chic minded the recordings, Jane disconnected the animatronic snake she wore, removing the complex equipment that had let it move at will. Returning to the dramedy unfolding, Jane sat down in her chair.
After a second, Chic and Jane shook hands, congratulating each other on a job well done.
Chic couldn't resist. While her and Jane's hands were touching, she sent a jolt of electricity down the connection. At the exact same time, a shrieking skeleton jumped out from behind Chic's side of the control panel, right where Jane had hidden it several days ago.

Both masterminds looked at each other, then burst out laughing anew.

Best. Halloween. Ever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:47 pm 

-A few minutes after most of the party guests had left-

A blue portal opened up in the hall, and out stepped a young man. He had cut his brown hair shorter and dyed it a bright orangeish yellow specifically for the occasion, and he'd gone out of his way to make a sword in exactly the same style as the character he was dressed as. His black robe (with white linings) billowed as he took a few steps into the messy hall. "Um, hello?"

He sighed. "Aw man... I guess there wasn't a party here after all... I should have known that Emily Viktor wasn't going to invite me of all people to her alternate's halloween party." he sighed. "And I worked so hard making my Ichigo Kurosaki costume too..." he sighed. "I don't even know why I bothered. People would have just picked on me for dressing up as a hero anyway." David, specifically the David from the Mad Sci High universe, turned and walked back through the blue portal. "I guess it was just a wasted opportunity. I wonder if I can still catch up with Ellen to go trick-or-treating?"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:38 am 
Hyperkeeper

And Finally...

As the guests, Mad and otherwise, appeared outside the main entrance of M, most were laughing, having had a (reasonably) good time. Commander Xerox had lost no time in breaking out the heat rays after Jane and Chic's final stunt.
None noticed a shadowy figure watching them from the roof of a nearby building.

The figure's line of vision moved uncannily, taking in each Mad in turn. Those present were checked off on a clipboard; after most had gone, a hand did a sum total.
Many minutes later, the person stood.

"Soon...." the shadow whispered to himself, grinning in darkness.
"Soon, they will be no more."

And lightning flashed, as the sky opened up with the long-awaited storm.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7