Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Mad Halloween Party II: The Dressing Room
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 am 
Hyperkeeper

This is the out-of-character topic for this year's Halloween party. Enjoy the fun and games!

Post subject: Re: Mad Halloween Party II: The Dressing Room
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 am 
Hyperkeeper

So-ho! Ariel's coming to the party, as is SoItBegins... and who else?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:17 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

For those who are interested, Sarcastic and Khan's "Costume" is based on a moderately famous logic problem/short story written by a man named Frank R. Stockton. The short story, quite literally titled "The Lady or the Tiger?" can be found here.

I'll admit it's one of my favorite short stories ever, just because of how unconventional it is. Plus, it's fun to read.

And now, since it's Halloween again, it's time for another round of... REJECTED COSTUME IDEAS!

1. "Kingdom Hearts Theme"

-Yeah. I was gonna go with this one, even to the point of saying in Chat to several people that I was gonna go for it. But I didn't. Why? I'll explain that shortly. Basically, the idea was to feature David as Sora, Richard as Riku, Lady Drezebel as Kairi, Sarcastic as Namine, and Michael as Roxas.

So why didn't I go through with it? Because my characters rebelled. Sarcastic as Namine didn't quite seem to mesh with me... it felt more like Sarcastic wouldn't really be very fond of Halloween in the conventional sense, given her day-to-day issues with "Clark Kent" syndrome. Of course she'd probably still dress up in costume for parties and stuff (which explains her and Khan's group costume) but in the past she's probably just been frustrated by other people not recognizing her. For a while I considered having Michael gang-press Jennifer into being Namine (She meets the basic requirements: Has the ability to screw with people's minds and memories (Check!) has an interest of sorts in the "Roxas" figure (Check!) is sometimes affiliated with an evil organization, in this case Jennifer's family (Check!)) but I decided ultimately that since Claire had her own thing going for her characters, I'd just stay well enough out of it this year. Michael as Roxas felt right, but Michael in my head complained about it, and ultimately I caved in.

Michael:
I am not anything like Roxas! Besides, it doesn't make sense for me to be involved in the Toboz family's group costume. Uncle's only ever even MET me once, and as a general rule I don't associate with them that often. There's no way in continuity they'd have been able to get me to cooperate with them unless I requested to join in... which would also be out of character for me... stupid lazy writer...

Yeah. Stuff like that. Plus, if Michael was Roxas it just made SENSE to ask Tinker to have Frederic be Axel, but... no offense to Frederic, but I'm worried in that getup he'd somehow set his fur on fire. But that wasn't even the deal-breaker. The deal-breaker was Kairi. Granted, these are just COSTUMES. It's not like the characters in question HAVE to jump through any hoops or fill any sort of guidelines to wear friggin' outfits. But I kinda like to make things unnecessarily complicated for myself by overanalyzing my character's decisions for costumery, and Lady Drezebel as Kairi didn't really seem to jell with me. The whole quasi-romantic undertones aside, if Lady D was Kairi it made more sense for Richard to be Sora and David to be Riku, which made the whole thing screwy. I briefly considered making Sarah Kairi, which, given Richard and David's former protectiveness of her, made a lot more sense, but I haven't even decided whether Sarah is going to the party or not, not to mention it'd be impossible for them to coordinate with her unless someone around here is a high enough level cleric to cast Speak With Dead. (Sorry... bad DnD reference there. I apologize.) And I think we can all agree that Ann isn't suited well to the task.

So ultimately, I dropped it.

Anyway, more rejected costume ideas later, but for now I'm done.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:03 am 
Hyperkeeper

And now you know. Ariel is a magical girl, extra-cutesy. She's even triggering the Uncanny Valley for bonus points.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 am 

Xerox: ... I shoulda brought a gun...

Andrew: I doubt it would help you here. besides, i thought you liked Ariel!

Xerox: Yes, and I also know how she;s *made*. It would be a mostly therapeutic gesture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm 

And here we have the four members of the Ten Gentlemen showing up at the party. Bahamut didn't get an invite because I didn't use him enough as a character for me to really want to revisit him right now.

I probably won't do much else with them at the party, I just wanted to add to the guest list a little. Plus. I've WANTED to do a Bleach Themed group costume for a while, since Bleach is one of the few animes I actually KNOW anything about.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 pm 

Oh yeah... Saya and Zan should *definitely* show up. Besides, I doubt that Zan would *ever* pass up an excuse to booze about and wear a pretty dress. The question is what to *wear*. Hmmm... ..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane: *giggle*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm 

Sami Stats

Name: Samantha (Last Name Unknown)
Age: 18 (Contrast to Michael's being biologically 16-and-a-half)
Title: Michael's Date
Halloween Costume: Teen Titans-Style Terra
Group Affiliations: None/Unknown
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: Undisclosed, but skinny
Typical Hair Color: Strawberry Blonde, but usually dyes it the color of actual strawberries to match the scent from her shampoo
Personality: Bubbly, perky, smarter than one would expect.
Background: I can't really tell you about Sami yet... she just got introduced? Suffice to say she hasn't been on anyone's radar yet.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am 
Hyperkeeper

And the girls have arrived!

Helen Gamma's costume is a Queen Bee (I really couldn't resist the pun),
V's costume is Trinity, from The Matrix (she only had to change her shirt), see below
and Marie is an all-new superhero: Tesla Girl! Master of Lightning and Electromagnetics.

Now, how are Jane and Chic going to take this? :twisted:

heh... heh... heh!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 am 

...So, are those Tales of madness canon, and not a what if?

Hoooo, boy. I'm suprised you didn't have Sammi come with them instead of V, to complete the trifecta.

Off to work-I shall ponder this...

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:06 am 
Hyperkeeper

You've got your wish! :twisted: Now, how are Jane, Chic, and Jess going to react to this?

Note: They can be canon or not. I like to think of them as canon, but if you really want 'not' we can say they actually came from an alternate universe or something.

P.S: Samantha's costume is a Ninja Pirate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:09 pm 

Costumes! To be updated as the party progresses.

Group Costumes.

Group 192X
Xerox-Detective X
Jess-The Lady In Red

Group-Barsoom
Claire-Dejah Thoris
Archimedies-Woola
Jennifer-Thern princess
Crash-Tars Tarkas

Group-Looney Toons
Claire-Bugs Bunny
Jennifer-Daffy Duck
Crash-Elmer Fudd
Jen-Jen-Road Runner
Rose-Wile E. Coyote
Michael-Porky Pig

Group-Mother 3
Syasuke-Lucas
Zenshatai-Kumatori

SoItBegins-Legion

Firefly-
Xxxy-Jayne
Jeffe-Dr. Simon Tam

The Lady and the Tiger
Sarcastic-The Lady
Khan-The Tiger

Group-Bleach. 4 of 10 gentlemen
Radiant-Byakuya Kuchiki
Malachi-Gin Ichimaru
Flux-Toshiro Hitsugaya
Tsubaki-Soi Fon

Group Homestar Runner-
Freddy-Strongbad
Fredric-Homestar Runner
Cleese-The Cheat

Comic-Asterix
Nemo Durant, The Library-Asterix
Farnsworth-Obelik

Group Costume-The Gods of Mad Science
Richard Toboz-Einstein
Lady Drezabel-Marie Curie
David-Tesla

Individual Costumes.

Jane-Witch.
Chic-Gypsy Queen
Sparky-Pink Princess
Rolf-Prohibition Era Gangster
Andrew-Tarvak
Ariel-Magical Girl
Michael-Yami Marik
Sami-Terra, of the Teen Titans
Jack-Primary Xerox
The Steve-Death, Discworld style
Herr-The Spy
Kid Atomic-Mercury
Thunderwoman-Pleniar, from Disgaea
Helen-Queen Bee
Marie Electra-Tesla Girl!
Sammi-Pirate/Ninja
nZobot- Werner Heisenberg
nMichael-Yami Yugi
Sarah-Raspberyl from Disgaea 3
JaneTor-Diana Prince
Hawk- Pirate/Ninja
Miss Clay- Zombie

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:38 pm 

Not cannon! Not cannon! Alternates!
...if only because if anyone is making Xerox's kids, it;s me and chic. And no kid of our Xerox's would so anything but look for a way *back*.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm 
Heh heh heh.

You sound kinda panicked. I'm accepting Helen Gamma as canon, at the very least...

EDIT: Maybe she fell under a bad influence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:44 pm 

A little, yes- I haven;t been paying as much attention to the Tales of Madness as usual, so I missed the try these girls are from. Thus: Minor heart attack.
I'ds really, *really* prefer it be an alternate, if it's all the same.
Well... or... hmmm... could someone point me towards the origin of these girlies? (Are they the same age? I always imagined Jess and Xerox having kids a good while before Chic does...) Because the shape-shifty costume *is* pretty neat...

Lemme think about it. You guys should be used to me being overprotective on my characters by now. I still think I would preffer for them to be *from* a What-if universe...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:58 am 
Hyperkeeper

I already PMd Prof T this information, but I figure I might as well tell everybody.

The character Samantha Xerox is from the Perfects series of stories, as is Helen Gamma Narbon and Marie Electra Viktor. She comes off a little more acidic in that post than the rest of the stories... anyway, here's the post in which she's introduced.

http://comicsbyshaenon.free-forums.org/viewtopic.php?p=14805#p14805

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:43 am 
Heh heh heh.

Looks as if Jane and Helen Gamma are getting along (more or less) well... how goes it for everybody else?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:00 pm 

I don't know if it counts for the costume list, since he never made it to the party, but... Jack's costume was to go as Primary Xerox himself. In a hat.

Jack:
The hat stays with me. Period.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 pm 

Xerox: ... it *is* a neat hat. Personal I favor a snappy trilby.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 am 

I think someone said either Cleese or Gilliam was the Cheat for Halloween, to go with Fredric and Freddy's costume, but I couldn't find where it was mentioned. If I'm wrong, someone know and I'll change my post.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:00 pm 

...is it weird that the Automatic Toppings Dispenser is slowly seeming to develop the traits of a sociopathic knife-wielding killer in my head? It's like some kind of voiceless Jack the Ripper that sends you to an alternate horrible future if you touch it.

Yeah, probably pretty weird. I imagine it only lets David stay alive because he's managed to come back from it's alternate futures so often that it's interested in seeing how long his luck lasts.

David: THAT THING'S JUST CREEPY! *Shudders*

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:50 pm 

No no, you;re quite right~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm 

Aaaaand nMichael shows up, dressed as Yami Yugi, aka The Pharaoh, also from Yu Gi Oh. Although if no one stops him, he'll probably just go change back to normal clothing soon...

nMichael: I mean... if me and him met dressed like this, I'm pretty sure we'd have to fight each other in a card game, and that would just be awkward...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:06 pm 

I know Cleese will probably just nom the microphone instead of doing karaoke... but I'm hopeful...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:05 pm 

hee hee hee hee hee....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 am 
Heh heh heh.

Helen + Jane: Soooooo evil. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:01 am 
Hyperkeeper

What's this? Ariel is evolving!

(animation)

Ariel became CuteAriel!

Ariel learned Freak Out!
Ariel learned CuteMischief!
Ariel is now type Trickster/Lightning!

Ariel: See, this is the danger of having someone/something learn by imitation. They imitate you too well... (holds out a cookie from the buffet) Want a cookie?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

I couldn't resist having Ariel and Thunderwoman encounter each other, for some reason. I'll be honest, I have NO idea what, if anything, will arise from this.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:39 pm 

Quick question... while I know that most of what we've done, especially me, during the party has been decidedly canonical...

Would anyone mind if I took the party in a decidedly non-canon direction for something? :twisted:

Robin Toboz: Chaos and terror! Yaaaay!

-Xin Yun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next