Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:00 am 
Hyperkeeper

New installment of the Perfects out!

Incidentally, "Helmets with horns" actually are a myth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:27 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Eee! Cliffhanger!
SIB, I'm enjoying this a lot.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 am 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

News time: I have now officially became property of the airforce, yep, I got sworn in. Just waiting on departure date. In the mean time, I still got stuff to do that will keep me away from MSW for longer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 pm 

so, I've edited my last post after an idea occured to me that was too awesome not to happen. Say hello to lilDemo.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:58 pm 

And a Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to everyone!

And soon to be a happy new year!

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 am 
Hyperkeeper

Sorry for the late posting! I'd forget my own head next, if it wasn't bolted on.

In this episode of the Perfects: Those with long memories may get a sense of deja vu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm 

Rposted form lounge:

Professor_Tinker « Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:32 pm » Which reminds me... I ws thinking, and since Claire made this work for the Holloween game, well, would anyone be interested in trying to have a scene for the main game here, in chat? Say, this weekend? The next stretch is mostly going to be dialouge and looking around, and thats the part that tends to go especialy slow in game. But I have it pretty heavily lined out, so I know I could run it on the fly.

If this works, i might have us do it again- I lost a lot of time to finals, and wouldn;t mind catching up some)

The current plan is sundayish. Post when you might be available, if you please. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:44 pm 

Sunday I will be free except for between 11 am and 3-ish pm, eastern. Not free saturday. free all day friday.
I'll post next week when I have it, but I usually work until 10 or 11 monday, tuesday, and thursday.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:48 pm 

I'm free Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday... I'm busy Tuesday, and then Wednesday-Friday I have work from probably 11 am to 6 pm or something like that. (Eastern time) But it's flexible hours so if we need to start earlier I could arrange that.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I'll probably be free Tuesday by 9 eastern, it's just during the day I'm busy.

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:40 am 

Today is the start of a new year! Happy 2011, everyone!

I've mentioned this concept to a few people before, but I'd like to propose it formally to anyone who might be interested here:

Every year it's grown up to be a tradition amongst myself and a few IRL friends to do something called "Old-Game-A-Thon" at some point during January. The idea is to take a game that's at least 5 years old, if not older, and play through it, reveling in the nostalgia or (if it's a game you haven't played before) the new experience of something that is old.

This is a very relaxed sort of quasi-tradition/quasi-holiday that I do every year, selecting a different game every year. You play whatever game you want as long as you want, whether it be a week or a day or a month, just to experience something new or something nostalgic.

I'd invite anyone interested in joining in, if they want, in Old-Game-A-Thon 2011, commencing now and running until the end of January. Pick an old game of your choice and enjoy it!

Right now I'm debating between 3 different games:

1) Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
2) The Longest Journey
3) Final Fantasy Tactics.

I'll let people know what I picked, if anyone's interested, tomorrow.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm 

ok, I'm about to start planning out the comic form of MSW. The first arc will be taken from chapter 3: Travel, Tribble and Trouble.

So anyone who participated in that chapter and only thought of a cool one liner after it was over, or wasn't in the chapter but wants to be involved somehow, PM me soon!

PS: or any foreshadowing you want slipped in!

Foreshadowing: I FORESHADOW THINGS!!!

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

Last edited by Demothesis on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:58 pm 

Wheeeee!!!!! This is exciting. Looking forward to seeing it.

Chic: Hmmf. I wasn't even in that chapter.

Writer: Oh, don't be such a prima donna.

Chic: *pulls out lightning gun and takes careful aim*

Writer: Eep! *flees*

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 am 
Hyperkeeper

In today's Perfects installment: Cliffhanger FAIL.
(Special thanks to Jane for creative assistance with this part.)

Sorry I didn't post earlier. I couldn't get on the computer until now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:12 pm 

yesterday I got to hear mama Gkika sing a little song. It is on youtube right here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6_C3MTql0&

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:24 pm 

I am so jealous. More so when I found out that the performance was at the Night Kitchen! The owner is someone I recognize as a commentator from another website, Shadow Unit. (Check it out! Kind of a paranormal CSI co-written by lots of good scifi fantasy writers)
I've always wanted to meet the Mad Gastronomer and go to her restaurant. Anyway, you got to meet the Foglios-how cool is that?

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 am 
Hyperkeeper

A bumper crop of updates! First and foremost, the MSW rolls over into a new topic. But there's more...

In today's Perfects update: Professor Layton reference! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:23 am 
Hyperkeeper

New Perfects episode is here!
All Dungeons of Doom references courtesy of NetHack.

(Also: Does no one use the lounge topic any more...? :cry: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 pm 

SoItBegins wrote:

(Also: Does no one use the lounge topic any more...? :cry: )

Well, just for you, SIB. :)

How about we vote on the next sidestory? Keeping in mind someone will have to run whatever we pick. And we may want to be more structured than freeform, have a definite start and end date.
Ideas that have been tossed around-
192X Xyon
Noir Xyon
Negaverse
Futureverse! (hey, most of the cast have hypothetical future offspring-this would be a fun way to use them. It doesn't mean it's canon, of course).
Road Trip!-Something like a mad version of The Great Race, or Gumball Rally. A cross country or cross world race, and we could even divide up into teams for this.
The next Frankenstein Grand Prix
The next Mad Scientist Awards
Another round of Mad Sci High

Any other suggestions? We haven't always finished previous ones, but they've all been a lot of fun!

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:59 pm 

I vote negaverse or road trip/race, personally...

Claire: Mad Scientist Awards! Mad Scientist Awards! I didn't get to go to the last set!

...although my characters may be somewhat dissenting. If someone wanted to run another Frankenstein Grand Prix (or suchlike) that'd be awesome, too.

EDIT: Alternatively, I could run the Noir mystery now, if people were up for it...

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:12 pm 

Re: the poster. Sorry, SIb. If I had more money, I'd have jumped on it, but...too many money eating things in my near future.
But you did get me hooked on another comic. :) Thanks!

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm 
New Madsci

Hawkwolf wrote:
News time: I have now officially became property of the airforce, yep, I got sworn in. Just waiting on departure date. In the mean time, I still got stuff to do that will keep me away from MSW for longer.

Good luck, Hawk.. I *hated* Lackland while I was there. Keep your head down, and remember, the greatest testimony you can have is the TI saying "Airman Basic who?" when you're mentioned.

Drink a LOT of water. If you don't have to use the can, you're thirsty. Trust me - I spent an afternoon with an IV and a bag of saliene because I was only drinking the 8 glasses of water they made you...
And remember - you can put up with *anything* for 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm 

leftcontact wrote:
Hawkwolf wrote:

Good luck, Hawk.. I *hated* Lackland while I was there. Keep your head down, and remember, the greatest testimony you can have is the TI saying "Airman Basic who?" when you're mentioned.

Drink a LOT of water. If you don't have to use the can, you're thirsty. Trust me - I spent an afternoon with an IV and a bag of saliene because I was only drinking the 8 glasses of water they made you...
And remember - you can put up with *anything* for 6 weeks.

Hello leftcontact!

It's nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:08 am 
Hyperkeeper

New Perfects update! By this point in the writing process, I was attempting to include a cliffhanger in every episode. Can you tell?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 pm 

I apologize for lack of posting on my end lately.

I've apparently been infected with the T-Virus, and thus far I'm pretty sure I'm going to die soon and become a zombie carrier to bring about a zombie apocalypse across the planet. While added bed rest and vitamin C has been helping me deal with my inevitable fate, it can only prolong my suffering and buy the earth a few more moments of sweet sweet safety.

In other words, I've got the worst cold I've had in at least a year if not way longer and it's pretty much sidelined me. I'm gonna try to have a post up tonight or tomorrow, but no promises. Go on without me, sorry.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:09 am 
Hyperkeeper

New Perfects update! That was the last fake cliffhanger, I promise.

There'll be a mini-update to the story on Saturday, but after that, the final part will be posted the next Wednesday (not Tuesday). Things are drawing to a close....!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 am 

SIB? That was cool. Looking forward to the next episode!

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 am 
Hyperkeeper

Perfects mini-update, COMMENCE!

TO BE DENOUMENT'D.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm 

Yay!

Thank you, SiB, For writing such an awesome story! I love it!

Also, I can't believe I'm the first person saying this, but...

Welcome to Mad Sci Wars, Sarah and Rumor! Enjoy your stay!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:20 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Do my best to! *grins*
I'm a little new to forums, so please let me know if I do anything wrong.

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm 

Sarah McLaren wrote:
Do my best to! *grins*
I'm a little new to forums, so please let me know if I do anything wrong.

It's pretty hard to screw up around here, Sarah. We're pretty easy going. But welcome! Enjoy the ride! Also, have you heard of our chat room? Peeps hang out there on occasion. There's a chat button at the top of the screen, right next to the FAQ button and the Members button. It's neat.

-Xin Yun

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next