Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Wheee! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create, Demo.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 am 

I as well!

Additionally, I will be posting today.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:50 pm 

A Ten Gentlemen recruitment drive? I wonder who will apply? Neat!

And, re the Great Xyon Race-
Yep, I kicked out the clowns, as much as I hated to. But rules were posted beforehand. Now, Axel gently nudges another car, sending them off course-hey, one car veering into another is plausible, what with the race hazards. He also stole someone's fuel line before the race. (I meant to write someone cursing over that, ah well.) If you car 'accidentally' has an oil leak, or if you, in avoiding the lightning horns of the cybernetic moose, veer in such a way as to cause it to hit one of your competitors...well, now. That';s just too bad for them, isn't it?
Feel free to write yourself into the race with another contestant, if you like. And anyone who hasn't joined and would like to-not too late! Dive in! I've been deliberately holding off on anything past the tunnels for just that reason.(That, and being away from the computer for a few days. ) I know Doctor Kinestro! (tm) was making a kinetic car. But, I'll move on soonish-I need time to post, and I'm getting ready to go to work.
If anyone thinks I've been unfair, please call me on it. If you make a good case for yourself, or if others agree I was too strict, I'll cheerfully reverse my stance. Friendly game and all that. Honest!
Besides, I've just possibly set up a situation where the Ninjitsu Battle Clowns will want to seek a terrible revenge against Kid Atomic...eep!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:31 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Btw, I just want to say....

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

Not sure how many mothers are actually here, but I do know Chic is a mother!

I got an itch to write a mother's day story so be on the lookout for that.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 am 

I just discovered this.

...this is so TOTALLY going to happen to Andrew Tinker or nTinker at one point. Probably unwillingly. Probably somehow triggered by Drezebel. Who will be squeeing over it.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Speaking of Drez, how is she doing? I suspect that, even though she's in the jail, that hasn't actually stopped her— she is a Mad artist, after all.
In fact, I can imagine it now:

"Lady Drezebel nodded as she put the last finishing touches on her masterwork. Drawn on the wall of her cell with the gravy from her meal, a lewd sketch of nothing less than Castle Heterodyne itself shone back at her..."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:17 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Okay. As you may have heard, I'm idly entertaining thoughts of running an Exalted campaign at some future date. However, the campaign presently stands at a state only a little more solid than 'pipe dream'. If I am ever going to get it out of this state, I need someone to collaborate with, or at least someone to bounce ideas off of. I'd like a volunteer.

However, there is a catch: Whoever signs up will obviously be exposed to the entire story of the campaign, including all the twists— and thus won't be able to play in the finished game.

Any takers?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 am 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Okay. As you may have heard, I'm idly entertaining thoughts of running an Exalted campaign at some future date. However, the campaign presently stands at a state only a little more solid than 'pipe dream'. If I am ever going to get it out of this state, I need someone to collaborate with, or at least someone to bounce ideas off of. I'd like a volunteer.

However, there is a catch: Whoever signs up will obviously be exposed to the entire story of the campaign, including all the twists— and thus won't be able to play in the finished game.

Any takers?

Unless you want me to play, in which case I'm honored, then consider me at your disposal.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:21 pm 

I know I haven't been posting much in forever, so this message is pretty irrelevant, but I'm not gonna be able to post until at least Saturday. I'm at a physics conference (yay science!) but they have us booked for about 15 straight hours every day.

...so yeah. I'll try to get caught up on Saturday.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:32 pm 

For those in the Great Xyon Race, when everyone is done having fun in the Mountain-we loop back to Xyon for the last lap. And it's through the Abandoned Warehouse District. When all are there, I'll lob you all in a puzzle, and we'll get a winner. I'll pm you, or just post here about the puzzle details. Sound okay? Questions?

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 pm 
Heh heh heh.

It sounds great! I've been having fun with the race while Jane Narbon is Unstuck in Time (w. extra theremin).

I look forwards to... whatever the puzzle is... as well. I vote for posting it out in the open, so anyone who wants to can take a crack at it— unless everybody is getting a different puzzle, that is. PMs would probably be de rigeur then.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 pm 

Jane! Check the arts section!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 am 
Heh heh heh.

I had an idea for a possible side-story in the future.

I was idly pondering the whole 'magical girl story' concept, and suddenly an idea crept into my head. The idea that, if we were to coordinate things properly, a number of the members of the cast could find their analogues to be young magical evil-smiters (or those opposed thereto), who became so after a run-in with an impoosibly cute wild animal. Throw in a few plot coupons, and we have...

A magical girl side-story. Call it 'Magical Cute Mad Scientist Wars' or something like that.

Sound interesting at all?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 am 
Hyperkeeper

At this time, I am transferring general control of the character Ariel from myself to the player Jane Narbon.
(I'm pretty busy right now).

T, Jane passed on your request. I'm considering it now.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 am 

You'll have no idea what's going on, but it's awesome to watch this regardless.

For the reference, the blue people are the bad guys. You should probably not be rooting for them.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:41 pm 
Heh heh heh.

A poem I've placed here in rickety verse.
I hope you enjoy it— for better, or worse.

(Come to think of it, this is my third retelling of a fairy story. First there was The Twelve Dancing Princesses, then Cinderella, now this. Maybe I should make this a habit?)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 pm 

Okay, I've had some questions about the race game. Let me quote the last post to recap-
Quote:
Kid Atomic's voice is heard clearly, despite any background interference from Dr. Malevolent's Destructo-Ray.
"So, you've made it this far. Congrats. Now, the fun begins. All survivors start from this central point. And take it in, Slick-see those numbers? Over there."
The numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,and 9 glow around the car. Each number is at the start of a different section of track.
"You have to take each track in the correct order, one after the other. Finish one, it teleports you back here. How do you know you've taken the right one?" The dashboard sticker flashes.
"Yeah, that. You'll hear this-" it beeps loudly-"if you took the right one. And you'll hear this-" at this a loud raspberry sound is heard-"if you screwed up. Got it? Good. Now, the paths themselves are challenging. Lotta mads here, what passes for organized crime in Xyon, too. This is the Abandoned Warehouse District, lotta unsocialble types, lotta folks who like to keep out of the public eye."
As if on cue, a bevy of lasers emerge from the littered parking lot in front of Dr. Malevolent's lair, and start firing.
"Now, no one else will be able to hear your auditory signal, so they can't just follow the one who's figured it out. Recap-nine paths, follow a certain order, you're teleported back here after each one, get the signal if you're right or not, choose another path, repeat. So what are you idling around here for? Beat feat, cat!"

(okay, pm me which path you take, don't declare it here. I'll pm you a beep or a raspberry. Feel free to write what you will for your path, but it won't go anywhere but the district. If this drags on too long, we'll find a way to move things along. Everyone may assume they've made it to this starting point now-if you want to write a transition scene between this and the mountain, you can, but it's not necessary. Clear?)

Jane has asked if we could do this over AIM. That sounds reasonable. The race isn't over until everyone's tried to solve this who wants to. The one who does it in the fewest moves wins.
But...there should be some in game posts for this. Not just me cutting straight to an announcement of "----- solved it in -- tries, they've won."
You are still running your route through the Abandoned Warehouse district, where anything can happen.
Why don't folks pm me at least their guess for just the first number? Write about your driving, end the post with hearing a beep or a raspberry(without saying which number path you took.)
Then, either get on AIM with me, or just keep pm-ing me a list of your nine choices.
I'll tell you-all wrong, 1st right, 1st two right, ect. You pm me back, if you're not on AIM.
I'll be online before I go to work, and perhaps at lunch, and after I'm home I'll keep checking in. If you want to arrange a time to AIM, we can.
Does this work? It'll still take a little time, but we won't be playing it all out in game and dragging it out.
Questions? Suggestions?
And you all can blame MJ for the puzzle. :twisted:

Edit, in response to a question-
Quote:
One last clarification. If you get the path wrong in the middle, do you have to start over, or does it save your progress? (so, suppose you do 6-9-2-3 and get an error on the 3, do you have to do the 6-9-2- over again, or is that saved?)

You do have to take the paths in order, so yes, you'd start again. But you'd know which ones were correct. Remember, a number may be used more than once or not at all. And here is your one clue-
It isn't a random string of 9 numbers.
Sorry for making this complicated, but it seemed a fair way to decide who wins.

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:59 am 

Guys, the race is great big gangs of fun. Sorry the mechanics of playing out the puzzle are a trifle unwieldy, but hey-live and learn. Everyone's been so inventive. Heck, I just vaguely wave my hand and say 'course hazard', and you gleefully put yourselves in more of a pickle that I would have! Muahaha!
And Demo, I can't believe I just now got this.
William talking to Mimic-
Quote:
"Yanno, most folks don't try to get attention when hiding in plain sight. Novel idea."

She's disguised as a book, and it's a novel idea? *groans*

C Valente

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:40 am 

...I didn't even notice that until just now. I just stealth pun'd myself... *facepalm*

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:32 pm 

Alright so got a letter from Hawkwolf the other day, and here to pass things on to you all.

He says he's enjoying himself, in spite of the words-not-meant-for-children lack of sleep, challenges and "Perfection Yesterday!" rush. He says it may take a bit longer to get online. Still moving to tech school and the need for a new laptop will slow things a bit. He says Chic is still his internet mom and he'd like to hear from everyone.

Here's the provided address:

AB McClelland Sean W
326 TRS/FLT 471 Dorm A-4
1320 Truemper st Unit 1007
Laxkland AFB TX 78236-6096

Make sure just to send regular letters, no postcards or care packages, no designs on the envelope and no pictures. Evidently this shall set the MTI(Military Training Instructor) into a frothing fury directed at our Hawk. And use your real name for the return address.

He's got 6 weeks left if it goes well and he informs me he's glad he signed up.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 pm 
Established Mad Scientist
Established Mad Scientist

Hi guys!
Sorry to tell you all that things are gonna be pretty busy for me, what with the exams, so you'll not be seeing much of me for the next three weeks.
Actually, if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing i.e. studying, and not skiving off, you won't be seeing me at all. Feel free to tell me off if you do!
Normally exams wouldn't be a problem, but normally I'm not in danger of failing and having to start the year again. Hopefully that won't happen, but... *fingers crossed*.
Anyway, just thought I'd warn you since I didn't tell you the last time I dissappeared which was rude of me. Sorry.
Wish me luck!

In other words, he'll look like he was thrown into a rummage sale at high speed and came out wearing whatever stuck, because to him, "hero" means "costume" and "costume" means "dressup" and "dressup" means "whatever the hell I want".
------
"The only difference between genius and madness is the success rate." - White Wolf Forums

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 pm 

Sarah McLaren wrote:
Hi guys!
Sorry to tell you all that things are gonna be pretty busy for me, what with the exams, so you'll not be seeing much of me for the next three weeks.
Actually, if I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing i.e. studying, and not skiving off, you won't be seeing me at all. Feel free to tell me off if you do!
Normally exams wouldn't be a problem, but normally I'm not in danger of failing and having to start the year again. Hopefully that won't happen, but... *fingers crossed*.
Anyway, just thought I'd warn you since I didn't tell you the last time I dissappeared which was rude of me. Sorry.
Wish me luck!

Hey, we understand, Sarah! Go off and ace those finals, ok? We're rooting for you!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 am 
Heh heh heh.

Wow, it seems everyone has momentous news today.
On my part:

The countdown has begun. Me and SiBby move in 5 days.

WIsh us luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:56 am 

Good luck with the move, Jane!

I'm sending a letter to Hawk today. Hopefully he gets it.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 pm 

Demo, I'm glad to hear Hawk is doing well.
Re the Great Xyon Race-I haven't forgotten this! I will post, but it is going to be a more than usually busy week for me. A few people pm'd me with guesses, so I will do a post about the winner. Just...not real soon. Maybe by the weekend. Feel free to keep racing and causing mayhem, if you like.
And Demo, I think the 50's mads are going to be fuunnn....

C Valente

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:11 am 

Eeeeeeee birthday! *runs in circles!*

Yes, I'm probably too old to get all excited about my birthday, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Wheeeee! *puts party hats on everyone*

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:41 am 

*has on a party hat* Happy birthday!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:58 am 

*wheels in a cake and explosives for Claire*
Happy birthday!

C Valente

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 pm 

haven't forgotten the meanwhile in Xyon, honest. Life has been hectic. I'll do a race post in a couple of days at the most! Things will be starting to settle down for me by then.

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:51 am 

Hey, Zobot's internet is down, so he asked me to let people know that there's no Exalted tonight, but we might play tomorrow if people are up for it.

Spam Poison. I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next