Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Lounge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Amino, your posts never fail to make me laugh. They're always incredibly awesome and I look forward to them and I'm really happy you came back. Just thought you should know.

'I didn't even get a chance to accessorize with it!'

*giggles incessantly*

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:54 am 

Claire wrote:
Amino, your posts never fail to make me laugh. They're always incredibly awesome and I look forward to them and I'm really happy you came back. Just thought you should know.

'I didn't even get a chance to accessorize with it!'

*giggles incessantly*

Amino and Ingrid are fan favorites. No matter what happens. And Dana wanted to be involved in the main plot, eh? Well, Slime-Flux is happy to oblige...

For reference, here it is again:

SoItBegins wrote:
A few notes, for the doubled.

CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR DOPPELGÄNGER

Doppelganger slimes (as Ri-Xean's creatures are known) are a shape-shifting type of slime, able to mimic a human being near-perfectly. After achieving a sample of its target's DNA, it enters a state where it copies its source, becoming an indistinguishable copy. Accuracy (especially mentally) is vastly improved if the slime comes in contact with the person it's planning to copy.

Slimes are impossible to tell from their prey once copied, with a few slight differences. A slime cannot capture any memories farther back than approximately 9 to 12 months (depending on the original copyee's mental acuity), and the simulated thought processes, and thus actions, will be extremely similar, but not perfect. Enough to fool most people, but a loved one of 20 years would catch on quite quickly. Slimes do not have souls, and can be detected by scanning for such.

When a slime spots a person it wishes to copy, the slime will first approach the person in whatever guise it has on, and attempt to collect a sample of that person's DNA. Any sort will do. Tactile contact is preferable, as it allows the slime to get a read on that person's mental structure.... though any method may work-- methods known to be used in the past have included sex, forensic analysis, or both.

Once a slime has the DNA sample, it will be able to emulate that person with a high degree of accuracy. If the slime is aware of an original donor of a form it is wearing, it will attempt to kill the 'donor' by any means it can, then take the donor's place. A slime can gradually accumulate more and more forms as it advances in the world.

If a slime manages to kill someone, it will consume the body, liquefying it quickly. The accumulated nutrients are usually enough to allow the slime to reproduce. Slimes reproduce asexually; when ready, the slime divides, making two. Usually when this happens, one slime will take on the form (and life) of the murdered person, and the other will use another available form.

Slimes are intelligent, and will try to avoid breaking their cover unless otherwise impossible to avoid. They are quite resilient and hard to destroy... fire usually works, as do certain poisons. Of course, if all else fails, slimes will shift to their native form, and either stand and fight, or cut and run...

Slime-Flux has so far managed to follow all these rules, although he appears able to integrate non-living organic matter to use it to produce new slimes. And if he keeps making more... oh dear.

EDIT: Also, HOLY FURSHLUGGING LUDGE that post was long. I'm not making another post that length. It'll kill me.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 am 

Dr. Amino: There's a question for one of your characters in the "Pester the Characters with Questions" Thread.

You don't have to answer it... I'm just curious.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:58 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Zobot: I've done my best to give you an answer, but due to the fact that I want to actually wrap up that plot in continuity and the fact that I'm still working out the details, I'm afraid I couldn't really give too much away. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 pm 

Dr. Amino wrote:
Zobot: I've done my best to give you an answer, but due to the fact that I want to actually wrap up that plot in continuity and the fact that I'm still working out the details, I'm afraid I couldn't really give too much away. Sorry.

No, no... it's ok. I just was always curious about how that was going to play out...

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 pm 

Alright- I know I need to post for the situation at M, and on Mars, so I'm just gonna chip away at the posts as best as I can. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:57 am 
Heh heh heh.

Potato chips or corn chips?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 am 

Grrr. Not sure how to do the fight scene. Have to think of something!

Hawk: Can't I just kill it and be done with it?

That would be anti-climatic and the audience demands a good fight

Hawk: *sighs*

Last edited by Hawkwolf on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 am 

TABLET! TABLET! The multi-touch is amazing, and pen...and, and... AUGH!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm 

I'm probably late to the party in saying this (Heck, the party's probably over and I've just made it there) but Dragon Age: Origins is a device shaped (Some would even say Crafted) to CONSUME MY SOUL.

Just letting you know what's been going on with me lately, and why I've been tardy.

There will be a post tonight! I promise!

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:48 am 
Hyperkeeper

Introducing...
The Deadly Fangirls

A large, all-female group of mercenaries-for-hire, the DFangs (as they affectionately call themselves) were invading a Mad Scientist's home when they were permanently locked in the form of teenagers. Ever since, they've found the "curse" a blessing in disguise, enabling great success at stealth and infiltration (favorite stratagem: temp jobs.)

Weaknesses include puberty (which the DFangs are perpetually re-experiencing, albeit at diminished intensity), yet they are able to look past these limitations, forming a superbly effective team. Their favorite tactics typically revolve around utilizing their mostly-harmless appearance to get close to their target(s).

Previous clients have included Mads, Villains, ruthless businessmen&women, and even M. The identity of their current employer is unknown.

(...and why the snowball? Because I found this funny as all hell.)

Last edited by SoItBegins on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:11 am 

SoItBegins wrote:
Introducing...
The Deadly Fangirls

A large, all-female group of mercenaries-for-hire, the DFangs (as they affectionately call themselves) were invading a Mad Scientist's home when they were permanently locked in the form of teenagers. Ever since, they've found the "curse" a blessing in disguise, enabling great success at stealth and infiltration (favorite stratagem: temp jobs.)

Weaknesses include puberty (which the DFangs are perpetually re-experiencing, albeit at diminished intensity), yet as a team they are able to look past these limitations, forming a superbly effective team. Their favorite tactics typically revolve around utilizing their mostly-harmless appearance to get close to their target(s).

Previous clients have included Mads, Villains, ruthless businessmen&women, and even M. The identity of their current employer is unknown.

(...and why the snowball? Because I found this funny as all hell.)

Michael: <censored for content> it! How is it that even DEAD SiB continues to cause problems for the relatives of Zobot! May hell lock up on you, you multiply-deceased old man.

SiB? I both love and hate you at the same time. Also: Amino, I'm ruling that the coffee shop that both pairs of Aminos and Ingrids entered was Zobot's coffee, where Sarcastic and her Girl's Night out group is. Just 'cause.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 am 

Xerox: ...the Fangirls... yes... we have met before... which, incidentally, is why every member of the Tinker Family is currently hiding. ...except Fredric.

Fredric: Eh. Ya get used ta some things wi' moi loine a work. Why's *Eta* hidin'?

Igor: There hath been an... inthedint, I am afraid to thay...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:34 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Jane: Remind me to hire them to deliver Prof T his birthday card. :twisted:

It's nice to see some old-style snowballs around here again...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:53 am 

Happy Birthday to me~~~!
As a result of this, I am afraid that I shall be a bit preoccupied today with playing video games and generally lazing about. But I'll be on Chat later, and I'll try and post tonight. 8) :lol: :wink:

Nineteen years old! Which I believe gives me the ability to... erm... buy... suggestve cantaloupe? I don;t know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 pm 

Yay! Happy Birthday, Tinker! Eat lots of cake.

Claires: *wheel out a big cake for the Boss, wearing party hats*

Have fun being 19 and... able to vote for the first time while your age is a prime number?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 pm 

happy birthday tink! *still working on he fight scene*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 pm 

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Happy Birthday to me~~~!
As a result of this, I am afraid that I shall be a bit preoccupied today with playing video games and generally lazing about. But I'll be on Chat later, and I'll try and post tonight. 8) :lol: :wink:

Nineteen years old! Which I believe gives me the ability to... erm... buy... suggestve cantaloupe? I don;t know.

Yay! Happy birthday to you!

I'm pretty close to you in birthday dates: Mine is on the 6th of the new month, so it's coming up soon.

Anyways, I wanted to apologize to people in how absent I've been, lately. The truth is, my morning-person traits are resisting against my night-shift job, and the result is that I've been having trouble sleeping when I WANT to sleep, and trouble staying awake when I want to be awake. And it doesn't help that I'm trying to quit using caffeine to solve my problems... going cold-turkey is killing me.

Still, I'll survive. And if I don't get a post up today (looking unlikely, unfortunately) than at least tomorrow I'll not be working at all, so I'll definitely post then.

EDIT: Ok, ok, I was lying. I did manage a post. Although it should now be pointed out that, unless someone on mars has some sort of scanner-defeating technology (a definite possibility) David just sent a large rocket built by one of Chic's Mad characters (Kid Atomic, to be specific) hurtling at relativistic speeds TOWARDS his boyfriend.

Mad love is a strange thing, isn't it?

-Xin Yun

Last edited by Zobot257 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:56 pm 

Happy Birthday, Tinker!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:49 pm 

happy birthday Tinker.

10 ghost tackles.

DOOM! and DR.KINESTRO! are both trademarks of the Kinestro co. and are not to be used, displayed, shouted, written, or thought without express permission of the Kinestro co. Perpetrators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, then dealt with personally by DR.KINESTRO!(tm).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm 

Tinker, allow me to introduce you to an amazing band tradition. *Beats Tinker with a pillow* Happy Birthday! (The pillow is made of lead, this is supposed to be mad science, after all.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm 
Heh heh heh.

Professor_Tinker wrote:
Happy Birthday to me~~~!

A Short Birthday Story

They struck without warning.
One minute, Andrew Tinker, Professor of Evil English (or, as some of his students claimed, Evil Professor of English) had just walked out of the university. The next, he was swept up in a small mob of teenage girls, all talking at ear-splitting amplitude.

"It's Professor Tinker! The hero! *SQUEEEEEEEEE*"
"Can I have your autograph?"
"Me first!"
"No, me!"
"Didyouseethat?hetouchedmeheactuallytouchedme!"
"Eeeeeeeeee! This is so cool!!"

Prof T tried to fight, saying, "I'm sorry, but--" at every opportunity. He had almost extricated himself from the mob, trying to suppress an involuntary shudder. Fangirls! Then, he felt something cold on his neck, and realized that the voices behind him had changed.

"Oooh, gotcha!"
"Night night!"
"*giggle*"
"Sweet, sweet dreams!"
"It'saknockout! YAY!"

He tried to think, to move, to do anything, but it was useless. Slowly, he began to black out.
His last thought before he went down was, Wait, I thought Jane had protected me against...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Professor Andrew Tinker opened his eyes to find Jane Narbon, displaying her mother's best Cheshire Cat grin, staring at him at a distance of approximately 4 inches away from his face. He flinched.
When Jane saw that he was awake, she pulled back, motioning to the others waiting in the room: Frederic, Chic, David, and Katty Risk, to name but a few. The room he was in was decorated festively, with a large 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' banner hanging from the ceiling.

"Happy Birthday!" Jane said to Andrew, still smiling.

"Gah. Did you have to...." he said.

"Of course, silly!" Jane responded, her grin never wavering. "We wanted to give you a surprise!"

Andrew was about to open his mouth for a retort, but Jane wasn't finished.
"Wait until you hear the best part."

"Now hold on--"

"When we told them who to kidnap, they said they'd do it for free!"

FIN

Happy Birthday, Professor Tinker!

Last edited by Jane Narbon on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 pm 

Happy birthday, Tinker!! *breaks out the tinfoil party hats* Wow, you're nineteen years old! You now have the ability to...um... *turns around an builds a device out of paper clips and chewing gum* ...use this thing! *gives Tinker the device, which somehow has '19-Year-Olds Only' painted on it and a large red button despite the fact that no paint or buttons were used in its construction* I'm not entirely sure what it does, though, so can you wait until I leave the vicinity to push the button, please? I'm sure it won't do anything too fatal...

And, Zobot? First, the whole Sarcastic-and-friends-in-the-same-coffee-shop-as-Aminos-and-Ingrids thing? Noted. Second, I hope your sleep cycle sorts itself out soon. Sleep deprivation is not fun. Third, quitting caffeine cold turkey? Ouch. That can't be fun to deal with, either. Feel better soon, okay?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 am 
Heh heh heh.

Say, has anyone seen hide or hair of the pirate game lately?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 am 

Oh, it's still there. Just dive in and do something wacky!

Ferret Faced Franky: Just avoid the kelp cocktails...they've got a kick to them. Woo!

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 pm 

I'm confused, guys...

Demothesis went ahead and shoved a tracker on Jennifer and got her hair and grabbed Claire and did another time jump, but Eta's still talking about having Claire help him with the tracker and Fredric's gone off after Michael- and Claire would try to follow Fredric, too...

Can someone explain it to me? Or maybe resolve what's going on between yourselves?

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:21 pm 

Claire wrote:
I'm confused, guys...

Demothesis went ahead and shoved a tracker on Jennifer and got her hair and grabbed Claire and did another time jump, but Eta's still talking about having Claire help him with the tracker and Fredric's gone off after Michael- and Claire would try to follow Fredric, too...

Can someone explain it to me? Or maybe resolve what's going on between yourselves?

My bad- I just diddn;t see it, and miss-posted. Edited!
I just had him grab her sleeve in time to be brought along- does that work?

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 pm 

Jane Narbon wrote:
Say, has anyone seen hide or hair of the pirate game lately?

It's still around, but it got to the point where I was driving the entire story myself, and, eh, I dunno. If there was more activity in the game, I would be willing to go back to it, but it seemed like no one else wanted to play much.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:17 am 
Hyperkeeper

OK, I decided to... stir things up a bit in the Pirate game. I leave writing the comic chase scene, however, up to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm 

Depressed. No post tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next