Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mad Scientist Practice Wars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:46 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Tom laughed, "It looks fine. Sort of like you borrowed someone's clothes." He opened a portal and dragged Lurker into the coffee shop. "Go ahead and order for us. I'll find a table."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 pm 
New Madsci

"O...kay..." He looked around in bewilderment for a moment. They were back in the coffee shop. But... How? Shrugging off the peculiarity of the event, he approached the counter. "Hey, Mark. Just my usual. And..." He nodded toward Tom. "Get him whatever he usually gets...? Or, just whatever you think would be good." Standing behind the counter, Mark just stared. "Oh! Right... Uh, you probably don't recognize me... It's Lurker. Actually, why don't you call me Alex? That's really my name. That's kind of a lot to dump on you. Sorry." His wings fluttered nervously. "So... Just two of whatever you think would be good."

When Mark finished the drinks, Alex paid, then carried them over to join Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:11 pm 

Tom Grabbed his coffee from Lurker and sipped at it. He looked at Alex, "So, what is it that you do? Our conversation sort of got cut short, what with the kidnapping and tampering with nature."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
New Madsci

"I dabble in a lot of things... I hold two jobs, both at bookstores downtown. When I finally got away from my 'father,' I didn't have a whole lot. Just the clothes, wig, and contacts I managed to steal from him. I didn't really want the world to know that I'd been altered... I read a lot. Dance and sing, but I'm not great it. Not really great at anything... I'm decent with making clothes, I guess." He sipped at his drink, messing with his hair. "Um... And what do you do? Besides the tampering with nature," he chuckled.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:29 pm 

Tom shrugged. "I had a job as a henchman for a while, but it fell through, and I worked in the military. Now...Nothing, really. I just mess around in my lab and do freelance work for mad scientists."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 pm 
New Madsci

"I... I don't suppose you, uh... Need an assistant, do you? I might not have many skills, but I'm a pretty fast learner." Alex's wings flutter slightly before he gets them under control.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:44 pm 

Tom grinned, "I don't need an assistant. I need more of a business partner. I'm going to start a clinic for victims of Mad Science, and I need someone to help me run the place. You up for it?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:50 pm 
New Madsci

"R-really? Of course I'd be up for it!" Alex beams, his eyes bright with excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

-Vorpelmeyer-

(The Contest Begins!)

Vorpelmeyer searched and looked.

He inquired and he delved.

At one point, he even investigated. (With a suitably appropriate sleuth's hat, of course)

Until he found what he was looking for.

In about an hour, he was ready. And he sought out Dr. Beard. "Mwahahaha! I have created a creature that will bring your defeat to a guaranteed certainty! By making alterations to a creature often regarded as a living fossil, I have filled a niche in the land-based ecosystem and adapted a marine creature into a species that could eventually bring DOOM TO MANKIND! May I present... the Amphibious Crab-clawed Nautilus!"

He pulled out a small terrarium containing a rather odd creature sitting in the dirt. It LOOKED like a Nautilus, but several large crab legs were growing out of small holes punctured in the bottom of it's shell. Two large, fat claws protruded amidst several facial tentacles, several of which the creature was rubbing against the glass of the terrarium, smearing it with a sort of green paste. As Dr. Beard watched, the green goo started to bubble and hiss, and started to turn transparent as the glass sort of melted into it. Vorpelmeyer smirked. "The Nautilus is one of the creatures in the sea known for growing it's own shell, adding more sections on as it matures. I have altered it to allow for land-based interaction in addition to it's sea-based propulsion systems by modifying this one with a crab's DNA. In addition to that, several of it's fore-tentacles can secrete an acidic paste it can use to break down any material nearby, allowing it to consume the resulting nutrient-paste and integrate the dissolved material into it's shell. It no longer has a general size which it will stop growing at... it will continue to grow in size as long as it has a sustainable food source able to sate it nearby, and with the ability to dissolve and consume anything, that means anything can be a food source. Imagine a creature like this devouring metal beams and integrating that metal into it's shell and body as it mushrooms in size! Given enough time it could dwarf entire cities! What do you think?"

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:39 pm 

The Viktor Twins looked down at the strange, purple haired girl, and blinked a little. Vladimir glanced at Rasputin, who tilted his head- a quick kind of silent discussion taking place. At once, they looked back at her, hed tilted.

"...Jagerfrau? Ve diddn;t know there vos a leedle Jagerfrau around here!" Vladimir grinned, and held out hsi hand.

"Sorry about dot den! ve ken move de potty, no prolem... vhere hyu from then, leedle sparrow?"

-Andrew-

Andrew suddenly stepped between Archimedes and Claire, pushing the poor, frightened girl back a step. He frowned at the dog, pushing his hands on his hips.

"What do you think you're doing? She's terrified, the poor girl! Bad dog!" he said firmly, glaring the dog down... unaware, of course, of the conversation that had taken back. He had, howver heard one bit...

"Miss claire, you said you were looking for hench work, right? Well, I could use a henchperson around the house right now. What do you say?"

-Meanwhile...-

Somewhere, a door to an abandoned building opened, and a black suited figure stepped out wincing annoyingly at the bright sunshine even from behind the sunglasses. Word was that the Tinker Twins were in town...

And The Commander planned to try and settle a few scored.

Last edited by FriendlyTroll on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:22 am 
Mysterious Stranger

Daark had been on this planet for two weeks now. This fact was depressing the heck out of him, Since the fall of his home dimension he has been travelling from world to world seeking to find a new home. Unfortunatly for him his arch foe the Doom lord continued to dog him.

Now on this world he seeks to find a new home for himself and maybe bust a few heads at the same time. Thus his lone walk through this strange new world continued....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:01 am 

Claire looked at Archimedes. "Does it mean I don't have to go back home? I'll do it! I can clean and cook and fix death rays and charge teleporters and set up lightning-power-generation-systems! I'll work for you!"

Archimedes whined. This wasn't how it was supposed to be going... "<Sparky, can you tell him Claire needs to come home? She's gonna get hurt if she tries henching for someone.>"

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 am 

Sparky holds up her hand, and commands, "Stop! Both of you." Turning to Archimedes, she says, "Wait a moment-let's hear him out."
Turning to Tinker and Claire, she address herself to them.
"Okay,Mister-you don't know the whole story. Neither do I, for that matter. I just met both of them today. I agree Claire shouldn't have to go back home if she's unhappy there. But..." She motions at Archimedes. "He's family, and worried about her being able to take care of herself. So, to reasure Archimedes and myself, before you bundle Claire off...who are you? How dangerous is it being a hench for you? Will you take care of her? And I want some references, Mister! I wouldn't let someone waltz off with a kitten from my shop just like that, let alone a sweetie like Claire!"
Andrew, Archimedes, and Claire all blink. Sparky blushes.
"Um...my name's Sparky. I run Sparky's Pet Palace across the street."
She waves over a barista. "Let's all sit down a moment, okay?"
Sparky orders a steamed milk for Claire, with a hit of doomberry syrup for sweetness, and a cappucino for herself.
"Archimedes? What do you want?"
She bark-talks a little a him. "<You may as well get comfortable. We're not letting you drag Claire away....even if it means you're mad at me..... Let's hear him out. I'll translate, if you can't do human speech right now. Um....I hope you aren't too angry I've never met another one of us but I can't let you drag her back when she's so miserable...>"

Chic looks up, and up, at Vladimer. And cheerfully takes his extended hand. My, what claws he has...
"Jaegerfrau? Not me! I mean, the Heterodynes made those, and there's a formula and stuff, right? I was born the way I am." She grins, flashing fangs.
"Are you two jaegers? Have you been to Mechanicsburg? I'm not from too far away, I live in Xyon now."
Chic hasn't been mad all that long, and is curious about everything. Even to the point of fearlessly striking up conversations with obvious mad men, instead of cackling and shooting them. Although she does have her zap gun handy.
"So, who are you? I'm Chicgeek, or just Chic."
A dry voice is heard.
"The geek part is right. Hey, Kid-don't you ever answer your phone? And those are the Infamous Viktor Twins." Jess is lounging casually against a wall.
"JESS! What are you doing here...I mean, today? It was today? I thought it was yesterday, or maybe next week." Chic squees, and hugs her, mysterious strangers temporarily forgotten.
Jess smiles in return, then musses her hair. "Hey, Em. Dessert ended up in the acid pit-you've got a snarky watchfence."
Chic swats her hand away. "Heh. It's doing its job, then. And don't call me geek!"
"What, I should call you Doc? Yes ma'am, Dr. Lopez, ma'am." She smirks, and adds, "You're still buying dessert."
Chic rolls her eyes. "Oh, bite me."
Jess walks over to the twins, and nods. "We've met, but you wouldn't remember. Minsk. The bar fight you started was a nice distraction."
Jess smiles, briefly, and holds out her hand in turn.
"Chimera. So, what brings you both to Xyon?"

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 pm 

Vladimir raised an eyebrow, taking her hand. Oh, he remembered- the scent was pretty sharp, and unique. And familiar for more then one thing... now... what was it? Something odd and faint. Maybe Rasputin would remember.

"Hah! Hy;m sure hy could remember... vun must cherish de leedle brawls, yah?" he said, chuckling fondly.

"Really? Hyu... born dis vay?" asked Rasputin, staying on track a little better. "Hy don;t suppose, mebbe mit more uff it comik after de 10ish age?" could it be...? It wasn't impossible, after all, and he had often wondered...

However Vladimir elbowed him in the side, rolling his eyes. Here they were, meeting someone who could maybe give them directions and he was all- ugh! Always so serious!

"Ve;re here to visit relative, hectualy! Our leedle nephew- all grown up. Mebbe hyu know him- a leedle taller den hyu, black hair, wears, real schmot dresser... leedle Andy!"

-Speaking Uff-

"Oh, of course." Andrew said, adjusting his glasses and ordering another latte. The poor girl was terrified, and seemed so... well... so... it was like seeing a little lost kitten. One who might be able to help him feed the baby Grues.

"You're the owner? Actually, I was hoping I might be able to order a few things for my animals... oh, but goodness I do digress. It's nice to meet you." he said, smiling at the three.

"I am Doctor Andrew K. Tinker, a professor at the local collage. I can provide additional identification, of course..." he said, laying down his Mad Science License on the table- which read a rather *longer* name.

It read, of course, 'Andrew K O P P Risk Tinker von Viktor'- his card was slightly over sized to accommodate.

"And I would be having her help, primarily, with my experiments- mostly, I assure you, of a literary nature. Very few explosions. And with my Menagerie- I deal with GRUES, you see."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:20 pm 

Claire's ears drooped a bit. "Not that many explosions? Aww..." She thought the explosions would be the best part of being a hench.

Archimedes sighed. "<I'm not mad at you, Sparky- all this is just irritati>-" He shifted back to human. "ng. Oh. That's easier." He offered his hand to Andrew Tinker. "I'm Archimedes, Claire's first cousin once removed. And I don't really have the final say in what she's allowed to do- you'd have to ask her parents about that. But as long as you don't-" He paused. Claire hadn't gotten that hurt being hit by the car, or blown up all those times, and she could eat just about anything... "-don't mutate her, or shove her into hard vacuum, or yell at her too much, it should be ok. Although her Dad might have a problem with her henching in general."

Claire was clinging to the back of Andrew's coat a bit. "I want to work for Mister Tinker, even if there won't be so many explosions!"

"I just said it's not up to me-" Wait... he had smelled catnip while he was a dog... Groan. Of course this needed to be even more complicated...

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:20 pm 

Sparky examines Tinker's credentials. "They look acceptable. Archimedes, maybe she could give it a try?" In dog, she adds <You know she'll just run away again if you don't let her, and who knows what danger she'll run into then? He seems all right. Got a good smell. And we can check on her, make sure she's doing all right.>
To Tinker, she says, "Perhaps we could continue this at your place? It'd be a good idea to see where Claire will be, and what she can expect."
It's a reasonable request. If he refuses, they'll know he's hiding something nefarious! But, he seems nice...

Chic looks at Rasputin, eyes wide. How did he know? "First, you didn't answe my question. Are you jaeger? And..." she pauses, unsure of what to ask.
Jess grins at Vladimir. "Wait a minute...snappy? Does he wear a red coat, perchance?"
Distracted, Chic rolls her eyes. "Aw, come on, Jess! I live here, you're visiting! We don't even know nephew's last name, and you think you know him?"
"I...may have run across him, in the line of work. Would 'little Andy' be Andrew Tinker?"
Bingo. Jess can tell from his expression she's guessed it.
"No, I don't know where he lives, but we can find out. Come on, gents. And Kid. Let's go track down Andy Kaboom."
Jess grins. The day's getting interesting. Sure, Tinker's M, but they're both 'off the clock' as it were, and she'd be doing him a favor. Huh. Who would have guessed his uncles were the Infamous Viktor Twins?
Besides, if he does start something...Jess cracks her knuckles. A brawl with Kaboom and Viktors and Em and Chimera? Fun times!
Chic attention has been distracted from Rasputin and his disquieting questions.
"What are you going to do, Jess? Do you have some super secret spy techniques?"
"Heh. Watch and learn, Em. First off, we craftily see if he's listed in the phone book...."

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:07 pm 

-Nearby, in the city-

"Hey, get a loada this yutz!"

David found himself surrounded by several brawny young men in various frayed outfits. "Um... hello. Nice to meet all of you... in this dark, deserted alleyway..." One of them pulled a pocket knife out and waved it at him.

"Hand over the wallet, cellphone, etc; punk."

David blinked. "Hey... wait a minute! You guys are neer-do-wells, aren't you?"

The man with the knife blinked. "...what?"

"Brigands! Rogues! Scofflaws! You know, robbers!" David grinned, nearly bouncing with enthusiasm. "This is so awesome! I've been hoping to run into something like this!" David grinned, reaching down with his metal arm and bending the pocket knife it it's grip. "And this is a Declaration of Threat To My Life, right?"

The muggers exchanged a puzzled glace. "Unnh... yeah.... sure...whatever. Hand over the goods..."

David grinned. He'd been waiting for this moment. "Not so fast, fiends! I'm a trainee hero, and I will stop your evil ways!"

And then the guy with the knife tried to stab him. "Ack!" David leaped backwards, and then fell to his knees as another man tried to punch him. He swung his fleshy fist upwards, impacting the man's jaw and sending him sprawling. "Hey, I'm actually somewhat decent at this-Eep!" He rolled to one side as a guy tried to kick him, and sprung to his feet with dexterity he didn't know he had. "Wow... It feels like I've done this before..." he sidestepped another guy trying to rush him and kicked in the back of his knee, sending him to the ground. "Alright! Time to end this!" He leveled his robotic arm at the rest of the men in the alley. "Finishing move! Rocket Arm-wait, isn't it supposed to detatch from my-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

David took off, his rocket arm carrying him straight through the alley at a blinding speed. It slammed into one of the muggers, dragging him along with it as it flew out of the alley and down the road.

David and the mugger flew through traffic at near-breakneck speeds, both screaming.

And then they passed Andrew, Sparky, Claire, and Archimedes.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-hi!-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

David waved all the various people as he went past them, the Arm carrying them over a bridge as David narrowly started to get it to turn, taking them over the nearby lake....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarcastic-

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

She sighed, sitting on the bus. "Geeze... so far I've searched half the city and haven't seen anything... geeze, why am I trying to find that putz so hard? It's not like we're friends...or... anything?"

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

She looked out of the bus to see a man with a metal arm streaking just over the surface of the lake.

"...crap. I found him."

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm 

Andrew smiled, and stood up- not seeming to mind that Claire was clinging to his coat. He was quite used to energetic people, after all.

"Of course. My home isn't terribly far away- and I can offer a room of her own, and food... I'll take care of her. Having help is important to me, you see... and my son and I would like the company." he payed for everyones drinks before anyone could protest, smiling and gesturing towards-

There was a sudden blur, and Andrew saw some odd man being pulled along behind by a... robotic arm? "...hi?" but the strange blurr was gone. He blinked, blushing a little- he was cute...

he had to shake himself a little, standing up. "Ah! Well, my, um, my house isn;t too far... I can show you easily. I don;t own a car I'm afraid, but, um, like I said it isn't...." he wondered if that man was going to be okay- he seemed to have been headed to the lake.

"...far. Not too far at all... just, um, past the lake." he smiled brightly, waving for them to follow. Maybe he could just... check.

-The Twins-

Rasputin was thinking carefully, trying to match things up a little in his head. His brother had had... wilder times in his life- this was the pair of them slowed down. As they walked, he took out a little notebook, and worked it out...

Vladimir, meanwhile, was enjoying the good fortune- he had never been too good with directions, and now- hey! Help had fallen into their laps!

"It vos de damndest ting! Ve hed *chust* captured de Tinker Tvins- und dese leedle boy vos weeglink out uff de net! All beeeg blue eyes, yah, und cue leedle black hair- und he chust valks right hup to us!" he was grinning- fully animated as he told he story. It was one of his favorites, and he often told it every chance he had.

"Hund hy mean, Lady Lace vos in full muahaha mode here- not, hyu know, overdoink it. Class act, dot von. But all de vay into the speech, und he chust tugs on my coat! Und all qviet like, he asks 'Are you family?' Mit did leedle lisp- oh, so adorable. Und Lady Lace paused out de whole operation while ve figured it out. Like hy said, real class act..." he chuckled, nodding fondly to himself at the mention of the villaness.

"Und vhot do hyu know! Poor papa had to keep it from us all dese years- some silly red tape bidness." meanwhile Rad quietly tapped chic;s shoulder.

"Hexcuse me, bot when vos hyu born? Hyu sere, dere is dis *vun* vay to make a Jager from birth... is how ve wos born, see." he said quietly, taking her hand.

"Hyu see, hy am tinking dot mebbe-"

"The Viktor Twins. Wait, wait, don;t tell me. You couldn;t find Dr. Tinkers house, got bored, and oh no really mister commander, we just *happened* to find this biiiig keg of dynamite. Fell off of a truck." The figure wasn't too tall. He diddn't have the body of a linebacker. He diddn't blot out the sun, and move like an inhuman specter... he was too skinny, too short, too ruffled and too damn old for this.

But all the same. Even if his tie *was* crooked, his sunglasses lowered, and his shiny black shoes all scuffed, he was a Black Suit. The Blacksuit, as a matter of fact.

"Ho ho ho... Commander X. How doot to see hyu~" Vlad grinned, doffing his hat exaggeratedly.

"As a matter uff fact, ve vere chust escortink these nize young gurls avay from some crazy disturbance somevun chust caused..."

"Can it, Thing One." h growled, lighting what appeared to be a cigarette that blossomed with sparkling *blue* smoke....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:44 am 

Chic cocks her head at Rasputin...what's he getting at? Then, her train of thought is interrupted. Annoyed, she stalks over to the scruffy man in black.
"Do you MIND? We're trying to have a conversation here!" Chic taps her foot.
The man in black slowly pushes up his sunglasses, staring at her. Chic doesn't give him a chance to speak.
"Interrupting is SO rude! Whatver your business is, it can wait five more minutes." Chic turns her back on him, and walks back to Rasputin.
"Now, then! You were asking when I...was..born..." her voice trails off as it hits her what he's hinting at.
Chic stares up at him, and replies, softly."I'm 19. Mom promised to have a talk with me when I was older, but she never got the chance. Does the name Lopez ring a bell?"
Jess grins at Chic fussing at Xerox, but her grin vanishes as she overhears the quiet conversation with the Viktors. Okay, then. Buy the kid some time.
She swaggers over to where Xerox is furiously puffing his cigarette.
"Hey, Primrose. How's it going? Wanna mint?"
Jess smirks, knowing that'll drive him up the wall. Dang, he's still cute!
Today just got a whole lot more interesting.

C Valente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm 

-David-

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

The Rocket Arm ran out of fuel.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-huh?"

Sploosh! David and the mugger both fell into the water.

A bit later, on the shady shores of the lake, David's head emerged from the water as he trudged out, carrying an unconscious mugger. "...I can't believe we both survived that."

Covered in sand, water-vines, and the odd bit of trash, his emergence caused quite a bit of shock, as terrified swimmers and beach combers ran from the newly-christened "Monster of Xyon City's Lake", an apparently viscous creature walking like it had a hunchback and one oversized, clawlike arm compared to one smaller, fleshy one, much like a crab.

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 pm 

Andrew was leading the little group towards his house- with a mild detour past the lake. He arrived in time to see David lumber out of the lake. He blinked, watching as everyone panicked. A lake monster? Well... the Badge never really came off.

He sighed, and turned to the group- smiling a little.

"I'm sorry- may I have a moment? My night job is calling." he said, taking out his badge and winding through the crowd to the monster.

"Excuse me! Dr. Andrew K. Tinker, M Mad Scientist Liaison, Literary and Biology expert! Can you understand me? I'm here to help you." he said, holding out his hand to David as he walked out of the lake.

-Meanwhile-

Rasputin did the math real quick, quietly making a note to thank Miss Jess for the distraction. The Commander was a terrier. Which was normally fun!
Just. Not. Now.

Nineteen years ago- that was about right. Lopez, Lopez... a club? Or perhaps a dance. But he did recall the sing, and the figure, his brother, dancing...
Ding.

"...Hy tink mebbe is some talkink dot could be hoppenig." he glanced at his brother, reaching out and tugging him over. It seemed like Little Andy was going to have to wait a little bit. With any luck, he probably wouldn't mind. Not if it meant he got a new cousin.

"Ras? Vot is it?" he asked, turning to face them as he was tugged over. He grinned at them, but blinked a little as Rasputin held the note-book sheet in front of his face. The smile faltered a little as he took it, looking over a set of dates, and a name.

He looked down slowly, at Chic. Now that he looked a little closer...
"Oh... my goodness. Hyu...." he paused, and smiled a little.

"...Hy tink hy'd like to hug you. Is... is dot hokay?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 pm 

Chic's jaw drops. "Um...I guess? I...wait a minute, are you sure about this?"
Vladimir and Rasputin nod. They're sure.
"I...oh, wow...Yeah, we need to talk." Chic runs a hand through her hair.
"Okay, my place isn't too far off. Let's go."
Chic turns, and sees Jess bantering with whoever the spook is.
"Okay, looks like Jess is keeping your nemesis busy, she'll catch up with us later. Let's go. And...since you think you're, my...oh god do we have to talk! My name's Emily Maria Lopez."
Chic hustles them away.

Sparky waits patiently with Claire and Archimedes while Dr. Tinker goes bravely forth to confront the swamp monster. Wow, looks like he really is a hero! He just might be the perfect solution for Claire!

C Valente

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:10 pm 

Xerox raised an eyebrow at the girl, annoyed and determined to hunt down his quarry. That was when she spoke, and he blinked. Primrose? There was only one person who had ever called him that...

"No. No, no, no. This isn't what's occurring today. You- you don't just show up in my town." he said, glaring at her. He saw it now- he diddn't even know how he'd missed it.

"The Chimera. In the company of the Tinker Twins, no less. I don;t suppose I could retend this is a social call?" he asked dryly, adjusting his net a little...

Meanwhile, Vladimir nodded, looking equally dumb struck.

"Lopez... hy remember de name." he murmured, following her. His memory wasn't as good as his brothers, but a few things stood out in his mind. He was a bit... scattered by the sudden discovery. He had... had a daughter! That was, it was possible she wasn't his, but it certainly seemed like it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:49 pm 

Jess smirks at Xerox, just to see him scowl. "Your town? Got your name on the deed? And, it is a social call, as a matter of fact. Running into the Badanoffs was just coincidence."
Xerox snorts, and Jess reaches out a hand, cupping his chin.
"Damn, cute as ever, Primrose. I'll buy you a cup of coffee. If you can bring yourself to park the net for a few minutes. Be nice, and I'll get cheesecake, too."
Jess's smirk softens to a cheerful grin. Chances are he'll swing that net any second now. But the chase will be fun, and she's bought the Kid some time.
Indeed, Chic and the Viktors have wasted no time in skedaddling while Jess engaged the commander's attention.
And who knows? He might even suprise her and go for coffee.

C Valente

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

Dr. Beard examined the creature.
"Well, I think that those holes won't fit the legs as it grows, since the shell will spiral out. Unless it forms new holes or long slits over time, which will make movement awkward for it during transitions in growth and give it an unnecessary set of weak points. Speaking of weak points, your new pet is making its shell out of anything it encounters? It won't lattice correctly because different materials arrange themselves in different molecular arrangements, and bond in different ways. You'll have weak and strong patches of material that don't grow solidly, resulting in a shell with a series of ready-made fracture lines. It's also made from animals with two entirely different growth patterns. Nautiloids grow gradually over time, adding to their shells bit by bit and growing to fit as new chambers are made. Crustaceans grow in a staircase pattern, remaining the same size until they are ready to shed their protective exoskeleton, then rapidly increasing in size over a very short period of soft vulnerability. I could see a calcareous shell being useful then, but I must wonder if your creature will even be able to shed all of its exoskeleton properly when it's secreting a shell that must be attached to a fair portion of its skin. The acid is useful- shipworm based? I like it- but you didn't take advantage of the already formidable natural talents of the two sublime predators you've chosen to splice. Nautiloid propulsion in the water, translated into a terrestrial creature, could be converted into an airship-type method of flight that could make it much more versatile. A cephalopod's beak, being hard and sharp at the end where it attacks but soft and flexible at the base where it is manipulated, is also an excellent weapon, but I see you paid little attention to that. A crab's claws are certainly important, and their crushing strength remarkable, but a large part of the average crab's strength is in speed and agility, both of which you have actually degraded to some extent with the addition of such a heavy shell and extra body weight. It's also lacking in subtlety, but then, so are you, so I suppose that is fitting.

...but... it is charming, I must admit. I... I almost want to pet it..."

Dr. Beard shook her head, getting ahold of herself. "But I won't. Now then... my turn, isn't it?" Placing the large white bucket she had been carrying with her safely on the ground, she carefully netted a small, colorful, somewhat lobster-like creature out of the water.

"This is a stomatopod, otherwise known as a mantis shrimp. Fascinating animals. Though they spend most of their time walking along the ground in muddy benthic habitats, they are extraordinarily graceful and agile swimmers, twisting and turning rather like the old mythical Chinese dragons when it is necessary to escape attack. My little friend's acrobatic abilities have been augmented somewhat and adjusted for terrestrial battle, making it nearly impossible to strike. They also have the most complex and sensitive eyes in the animal world. Humans have only three basic pigment cells, which we use to interpret color around us. Stomatopods have sixteen, which can perceive infrared and ultraviolet frequencies and much else we can't even conceive of. Their eyes are also stalked, giving them a better ability to look where they need to be looking. Quite frankly, such sight doesn't need to be augmented so much as protected, so I have provided it with stronger exoskeletal protection around the stalks, a clear protective eyelid, and a few other minor engineering adjustments. Also protective goggles."

The mantis shrimp adjusted its goggles to demonstrate.

"But of course, in terms of offensive capability, the most remarkable thing about a stomatopod is its claws. Ready Faultline?"

Faultline the mantis shrimp raised its claws, and then- SNAP!

Everything shook. There was a sound like rolling thunder compressed into one instant moment.

And in the next moment, everything that could be shattered was. Glass lay in shards. Plexiglass and plastic looked the same. Metal and stone in the immediate vicinity bore tiny fractures. Water spurted out of busted pipes, and animals were beginning to realize that their cages were compromised. Everyone in the area had been knocked flat.

Dr. Beard did not immediately realize just how bad the damage was, as she was also lying flat on the ground and her glasses had also fallen victim to the shockwave.

"Oh... oh my. That had more kick to it than I thought it would."

((Incidentally, here is our new friend: http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/artic ... d_side.jpg )

Last edited by Snail on Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:14 pm 

-David-

He blinked at the approaching red-coated figure, which didn't work out so well for him since it meant he got sand in his eyes. "Owie!" he paused, reaching an arm up to rub at his eyes, which only resulted in getting MORE sand in his eyes. "Gah... this isn't as fun as the underwater place was..." He shook his head and began to watch as sand cascaded down his body. What was that this person called himself? A mmmad science lesion? He tilted his head. "Oh, hello then Mr. Mmmad lesion!" He unshouldered the unconscious mugger he'd dragged along on the ride. "Um... could you tell me where I can take this guy? He's not very nice and he tried to pull a knife on me, but I think he swallowed too much of that wet stuff and I don't know how to force air into his hull manually yet but I don't want him to die because it'd be really sad..."

He smiled. This man seemed nice. "Oh, and do you know someone named Sarcastic? She's probably wondering where I am... Oh! Wait... where are those Man-nars thingies Sarcastic was telling me about!" He reached out and grabbed Tinker's hand, shaking it. "My name is apparently David, or so the little bits of plastic car-card-thingy they found in my disintegrated pants said... an' I wanna help people like the stories about those Heterodyne Boys in the books and stuff!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Vorpelmeyer-

The impact had sent him flying into a hotdog stand, where he sat up from, cooked meat falling out of his hair. "...That. Was. Awesome!"

He stood up. "Do you think you could ask him to do it again? Please? Huh? Huh? I bet once or twice more and we could really get people into a real panic! And then we can go get the whales and the dolphins and sneak them into the bay so that they don't have to perform anymore! And I can steal genetic samples from some rare fish!"

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:37 am 

Dr. Beard picked herself up off the ground slowly, looking around at the damage. "Ohhhhhhhhh my..." Ignoring Vorpelmeyer for a moment, she went straight to Mimic. "Are you okay, Mimic? Does anything hurt? Can you move? Oh please be okay, honey..." Mimic immediately reached out and clung to Dr. Beard's neck, shaken but apparently unharmed. She remained tightly fastened there. Dr. Beard checked on Faultline next, but the super-stomatopod seemed fine, if a little dazed.

"Okay. Everyone's okay. Wait, is the nautilus okay?" She spun around to check on the other Mad's creature.

((So... I guess it's voting time in the Lounge now?))

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 pm 
New Madsci

It was another beautiful morning in Xyon. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the radioactive waste was glowing. It was a perfect day for a walk.
Rumor Kuro was sitting outside, sipping on a coffee. He'd only been moved in for a week, but he liked the town so far. It was clean, and he had a nice apartment. Now all he needed was a job. He opened the paper, and flipped to the help wanted section. "Wanted...Test subject. Twenty dollars an hour, and a thirty dollar bonus for survival." He crumpled the paper up and tossed in the trash. He had a feeling that he'd find a job. As sure as those giant ducks were transmogrifying every animal in the petting zoo.
"Wait....What?"
Rumor blinked as the uniformed duck across the street from him fired his ray gun, turning a little tiny goat into a matching duck.
"Okay... This is weird."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:05 am 

-Guess who?-

A girl was standing nearby, watching the scene with rampaging ducks. She had long blond hair, pulled back into a ponytail, and although she wasn't unpretty, she had what could be described best as "one of those faces", the sort that people just didn't really pay much attention to in a crowd. She looked over at Rumor as marching uniformed duckies walked by. "...am I just going crazy, or are you seeing this too?"

Sarcastic Female NPC scowled at the ducks. "One of the downsides of living in Xyon city... you ask yourself that question daily."

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:00 am 

Desdemona looks out the window and sighs, scribbling a change on the menu board at the Coffee 'N Toffee. It now features their bread salad, made with special artesian bread and fresh greens. Ducks like bread crumbs, right?
Just in case.
Kid Atomic smiles at her, which makes the no nonsense, world weary barista momentarily melt. Regular customers at the coffee shop have noticed a new ring on her left hand.
Kid Atomic idly examines his Buck Rogers-ish ray gun, and looks out the window. He sees marching uniformed ducks, ducks shooting critters at the petting zoo with a duck-transmigrifier ray, and Sarcastic and Rumor in front of the shop.
"Better make me a java to go, Mona. I'm steppin' out to see what's up. Keep your lamps on the prowl."
"Yeah, I'll keep my eyes open, Eddie." She resumes her nonchalonce, and hands him a cup, hand brushing his. Desdemona goes back to prepping for the morning rush. Mutant ducks or not, nothing keeps Xyonites away from their coffee.
Rumor and Sarcastic see Kid Atomic walk out of the shop. He nods at them, leaning against a sleek rocket cycle, and watching the ducks.
"Yo." He watches for a moment, deciding. He'd rather not find out the hard way if that transmogrified works on humans. Duck Atomic? Please. Sounds like a cheesy saturday morning cartoon.

C Valente

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next