Comics by Shaenon II

Mad science has never been so cute!
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Mad Lecture Series
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:21 pm 
Established Mad Scientist

At my campus in the real world, there's a weekly lecture series where different people come in and give a presentation on whatever they're working on, and you can come in and listen, to learn something new or just be entertained. This wouldn't be quite the same thing, (although if all of our respective Mads did do a lecture apiece that would be pretty cool, provided we didn't break any brains). I was thinking we could have a thread to just share interesting science- or Mad science-related things, especially if they had to do with the subjects we or our characters are interested in. For instance, I'm always browsing around for Marine Sci news, and I know Claire has shared some fun engineering-related stuff in chat. Like a lecture series, this thread would be mostly (but not only) for sharing interesting information, which makes it different from the art, OOC or Tales thread.

Post subject: Re: The Mad Lecture Series
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:26 pm 

And now for the first submission: Life found deep under the Antarctic ice sheets, where scientists previously thought life was impossible.

(Dr. Beard: *whistles innocently*)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/1 ... 99155.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:25 pm 
Mad Scientist Unbelievable

Well I guess I should post this up, then:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... world.html

And this, although it's more a strange quirk of science than anything MAD:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16449_7- ... owers.html

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

Post subject: SEA SCORPIONS
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:34 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7104421.stm

Sound like something out of a bad sci-fi film. Actually existed. Dr. Beard's new pet?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 pm 

Ok, this is a little bit different from everyone else's stuff. It's not very mad, but it's definitely SCIENCE! Also, I made it myself.

It's an electrical motor I built over my school J-term... it doesn't look very impressive, but it went 3294 rpm when hooked up to an 8V power supply. (yes, we measured it)

It's not quite as exciting as it seems, because it was a required class for mechanical engineering and everyone who took it built a motor. Mine was actually one of the slower ones. But it's still really cool!

Also, I drew a blue bunny with red wings on the side. Because I had sharpies. It's saying 'meep.'

EDIT: And, if anyone is curious, me describing how it works!

Moving electrons, such as electrical current, feel a force when placed in a magnetic field. The force is perpendicular to both the direction the electrons are flowing and the direction the magnetic field points in. In practice, this means that if you stick a wire next to a magnet and run a current through it, it'll move.

On my motor, when the paperclips are attached to a battery or other power source, the current flows through the copper wires wrapped around the shaft. Since the current is flowing in opposite directions on the opposite sides of the shaft (the wires form a loop), and since the magnets are arrange properly (if you glue some of your magnets on backwards, the motor won't run...), one side of the shaft feels an upward force, while the other side feels a downward force. This makes the shaft turn!

The paperclips form electrical contact with some copper foil around the shaft, but they don't actually connect, and the copper foil is segmented. I took another photo so it can be seen more easily.

Once the shaft has turned about 90 degrees, the paperclips come into contact with a different copper foil segment, so that the wires with current in them don't rotate out of the way. This means that the shaft keeps rotating! And yes, the continuous current and high speeds generate a lot of heat. You can see the burned path in the copper and the shaft where the paperclips create friction.

(if you're still curious and confused, wikipedia may be helpful)

Spam Poison. I think.

Last edited by Kate on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:39 pm 
Brilliant (but still Mad) Scientist

Chat Ghosts

Ok this is about a phenomenon that has been going on in chat for a while but has only recently been named and recognized. Me and Herr have coined it "ghosting" and I think it is time I made it more clear and about the different kinds and forms of ghosting...

==TRUE GHOSTING==

True ghosting is when you are making posts in chat but your name does not appear on the online list in the chat room. However you will appear to be online on the forum homepage. it is called true ghosting because you are not on the list but still interacting with chat. How is this accomplished? Easy. Keep the chat window open for about 45 minutes to an hour. The chat list will consider you log out and you will drop from the list. People known to do this is Beard, Jane (on occasions), Demo and sometimes I myself.

Note: to stop true ghosting, do something on the board and it will bring you back online. Can be as simple as checking the homepage (or if you have it open, refresh the page).

==GHOSTING==

There is actually 3 different subsection of this; prolonged ghosting, quick ghosting and semi ghosting.

Prolonged ghosting is when you appear on the chat online list but you do not post anything. typically you keep this up for longer then it takes the system to log you off from inactivity. For an observer, you will appear on the chat online list as a red dot, go offline, and get back on still as a red dot. How is this accomplished? Log onto the board, leave it on the main page and refresh every 1o or 15 minutes or so. since you are on the main page and not chat, the system will have you logged off. If you don't have it log you in forever setting on, you probably will have to re-log in if you keep doing this, otherwise it is automatic. Claire is famous for this. (this can also be called lurking but Lurking tends to mean an extreme prolonged period, like a week, also lurking does not require for you to sign in)

Quick ghosting is when you log in and take a few minutes before posting in chat. Sometimes it can be short as 20 seconds or as long as 10 minutes, depending on how fast your internet is or how long for you to post something in chat. How you accomplish this? The easiest way is to log in and red any new posts before coming into chat. Chicgeek is famous for this. Does it every time.

Semi ghosting is a cross between prolonged ghosting and quick ghosting. It is also more towards lurking. You appear online for a brief time and go offline for a prolonged period in hours. You do not post anything in chat nor do you stay online for long. How is this accomplished? Log in and either make a quick post or read a few new posts and then log off and don't get on for some hours. Everyone here has done this at one point or another. This is the most common sort of ghosting for the busy person.

==GHOST HUNTING==

Some of you already have an idea about this game but I feel the urge to explain further. Herr and I are the creator of this simple game to simply pass the time. How does it work? Tackle a ghost first and gets points. From there, there is a few modifiers.

=Gaining points=

-If you tackled a true ghoster, add two points.
-If you tackle a ghoster (does not matter from which category of ghosting) it is 1 point

=Losing points=

-if the ghoster post in chat within 2 minutes of the tackle, the point is reduced to a half a point (does not include true ghosting points)
-If you are in the lead, you gain no points until you are no longer in the lead (Unless second place is online, ghosting or not)

Additional notes: In order for it to count as ghosting, the person has to be added to the online list as a red dot. The person cannot go into a red dot from inactivity. Some people can be fast enough that they post in chat before the system adds them to the list. This is not considered true ghosting since they just got there. The best way to check for true ghosting is to wait a few seconds. if they are still not online, then they are true ghosting. Also if a person stops true ghosting, they may appear online as a red dot. They are ineligible for additional ghost points until they ghost or true ghost again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 pm 

Impress your chem teacher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM-wSKFBpo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am 

Okay, something that may be of mild interest.
Roger Zelazny was one of us. Let me elucidate.
Not only did he like comics (Neil Gaimen and Grimjack were specifically mentioned), but he was a nerd as well. (And yeah, maybe it's not strictly mad science, but when I think of all the mad future worlds and characters he created, he gets a tip of the tinfoil hat.)
Here's part of an essay by Walter Jon Williams. Essay excerpts in quotations.

"In his last year Roger tried a number of new things. Living with Jane Lindskold was one of them, Jackie Chan movies another, and role playing games a third. While it's difficult to imagine Roger doing anything as sublimely geeky as role-playing games, I'm able to record he was very good at it."

So he joins a strong established group that'd be going on 10-12 years,
full of writers, like George R.R. Martin, and folks with acting experiance.

"....Roger was a shy man, and during games was at times eclipsed by the more aggresive, confident members of the group. At times, when I was running a game, I had to tell the others to shut up and stop shouting advice so that Roger could get on with playing his character.
.....Roger tendeded to shine in his roles. Initialy he chose minor characters, a bit removed from the main thrust of the action, but nevertheless complete.....
In a game set in fedual Japan, Roger turned up as the Chinese poet Li Po, a character who specialized in carousing and extemporaneous verse."

He wasn't above quoting from his own writings in game, either! Like here.

"In a starship adventure game, Roger appeared as a preacher named Schuler. Chaplain Sky was a navy "Xenochaplain," supposed to be able to minister to the spiritual needs of any concieveable denomination of human, alien, or the odd sentient rock. (he didn't do very well with the rock, actually.) The professional requirement to believe in evrything led to Chaplain Sky's not beliving in anything very much,and led to some of Gaming's Most Funny Spiritual Moments."

Here he blesses some space marines preparing to storm the beach on an enemy world, paraphasing another chaplain from Creatures of Light and Darkness.

"Insofar as I may be heard by anything which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that these soldiers be granted luck and favor, regardless of anything they have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness, but something else may be required to ensure any possible benefit for which they may be eleigible, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or witheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to ensure them recieving said benifit. I ask this in my capacity as their elected intermediary between themselves and that which may not be themselves, but which may have an interest in the matter of their recieving as much as is possible for them to recieve of this blessing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen."

"I'm not sure if this stirring address aided the morale of the troops, but Roger's fellow players were in stitches."

"Roger's last character was that of a tough, crazed, New York detective in my NYPD game....the characters were all homicide cops trying to solve a mystery."

The only person likely to talk was the mistress of one of the mafiosi.

"Some of the other characters were less than delighted with the thought of cuddling up to someone who a prominent gangster might consider his property, but Roger's character waded right in. He called her up and said,
"I hear you like flowers and maybe a drink, so I thought I'd pick you up after work and buy you a drink with a flower in it; and maybe we can go to Tavern on the Green, because it's got nice views of the Park, and the Park has flowers in it; and so we can have drinks with flowers in them while we're looking at the flowers in the Park, and maybe I'll find you a flower for your hair.....'
"Roger went on in this manner.....and I spent the whole time staring at Roger with my mouth hanging open, thinking to myself, What a smoothie!"

When the game got to showdown, Roger started talking inchoherently. They thought he was just overtired, and delayed the showdown. (No one knew he had cancer.) Roger died two days later in the hospital.
A few months later, they finished it. Roger's character was wounded, his mafiosa sweetie saves him, bad guy was caught.

"If I couldn't give Roger a happy ending, I decided, I could at least give one to his game character. And so, in our imagination at least, the tormented New York cop will live happily ever after with the Mafia don's mistress, sharing their usual table at Tavern on the Green, and having drinks with flowers in them while she wears flowers in her hair....."

Yeah. For someone who discoved role playing games the last year of his life, he did all right.

Do you think I had the 1st idea what a squidhole was when I invented it? Certainly not! I was just messing about! That's when the very best & very Maddest Science gets done. I thought,Why, this alabaster octopus looks like it wants a nice transmission inside it,& fairly soon I had a thing that obviously had a Use, though what that Use could be was a total mystery.
(Sameness Engine) I haven't the 1st notion of what it's for! That's not why I made it-I made it for the sheer joy of making something new! It's getting up to tell me what it wants me to do, though, I can just feel it. It's been giggling a lot at night.
The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland
C Valente

Last edited by chicgeek on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm 

Ghost Claires
An attempted explanation of the strange phenomena known as Ghost Claires

Ghost Claires is the only regular member of chat that is a ghost. Not a lot is known about these strange visitors but I have compiled a few things to help educate the masses this misunderstood being. First off they are not aggressive. They are mostly harmless. They also strangely enough disappear when Claire comes into chat. I believe there is a direct correlation between Ghost Claires and Claire herself.

Habitat:

Ghost Claires are found only in chat and no place else. they are known to visit other places but chat seems to be the only place where you can actually see them. I believe the unique properties that make chat possible is what attracts Ghost claires. Through some extensive study, it have been theorized that the location of chat, its unique, nonsensical properties allow the formation of these Ghost Claires and renders them visible to the naked eye. Due to the inability to track Ghost Claires in any fashion, we are unsure where exactly Ghost Claires reside while not in chat.

Food

Ghost Claires are known to go after sweets such as cakes and cookies. Although how they consume the sugary substance is still under observation. From the data I have gathered, The Ghost Claire seem to ingest the nutrition through a non visible "mouth" located where the mouth would be on a normal person. Bite marks appear on the food it is near the front of the Ghost Claires face. Note: Ghost Claires will not touch marshmallows and in fact seems to act panicky whenever it sees, think it sees or have "bitten" a marshmallow.

Behaviors

While observing Ghost Claires in their natural state, they seem to wonder around in chat and not interact with any observable materials. Nor do they react to any sort of stimulus that we have observed. They do however react to the sight of certain objects. Explosives and sweets tend to draw the Ghost Claire while the sight of dogs and marshmallow's drive the Ghost Claire away.

Additional Notes

While doing my research into Ghost Claires. I have observed other people tackling Ghost Claires. This is a strange thing to see considering the Ghost Claire actually reacts to being tackled as so much their body reacts to the sudden change of velocity. The Ghost Claires do not seem to notice the tackle and continue as it it never happened. The hooligans that do this act call it "Ghost Hunting." I do not in any fashion condone this act and request immediate action to be taken to preserve the dignity of these most intriguing beings. Also other ghosts have been spotted but Ghost Claires are the most common and therefore easier to study.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:34 pm 

Another random little interlude... I had to build a robot for a class this past semester, which is kind of cool and almost Mad-Science-y.

Image Image

We were given 12 weeks, a kit of parts, some random lectures, and a general objective I chose not to follow anyway. I made this thing. It's named Giraffe-bot. The top plate slides up and down, and the bottom plates slide up and down independently of each other. It's supposed to climb stairs, but I didn't have much of a chance to make it do that because the radios that control the servos were in really high demand and it's a bit wobbly.

Oh, and as part of the class, we bought a toolkit that we get to keep! That means I now have my very own wrench.

Oh, and there are other fun tools, too. I just think the wrench is neat.

Spam Poison. I think.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm 

Friggin Awesome.

"There is a fine line between a good King and a Despot. A King is best when His subjects barely realize that He exists. When His work is done and His will is fulfilled, they will say, 'We did it ourselves.'"
-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:56 pm 

More news than lecture again, but this is just cool: A species of octopus living in Antarctica with venom that's effective at subzero temperatures.

Other known poisonous cephalopods include the blue-ringed octopus, the pajama squid (actually more closely related to cuttlefish) and the flamboyant cuttlefish.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:27 pm 

...that's just awesome.

And d'aww... the tiny white-ish octopus is actually kinda adorable to boot!

-Xin Yun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:05 am 

Another neat news article rather than a lecture...

http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/viewArticle.do?id=82511